e-books readers


Technology


Pathfinder Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I have been looking at buying an e-reader but not sure what one to get. I tried out my son's Nook and well it is not so good. once I get the font they size I can get read it loose the picture and quality of the print. So has anyone used a e-reader that does not loose the quality of the PDF? I mean other then a computer.
respectfully


The kindle is head and shoulders above the rest if you want a dedicated e book reader.

iPad is a better choice if you want flexibility and full computer functionality.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
plassteel wrote:

I have been looking at buying an e-reader but not sure what one to get. I tried out my son's Nook and well it is not so good. once I get the font they size I can get read it loose the picture and quality of the print. So has anyone used a e-reader that does not loose the quality of the PDF? I mean other then a computer.

respectfully

E-readers on the price point of the Kindle aren't going to render graphic rich PDF's particurlarly large ones like the Paizo books very well.

You probably won't like the answer but the only thing on that size which I've seen handle Paizo books with speed and fidelity has been the iPad with GoodReader or other PDF reading app. For which you can also get Kindle and Nook software for if you want access to those books.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

The iPad is an excellent PDF reader. I bet the other slate devices are just as good. None of the dedicated e-readers seem to be able to maintain the formatting of graphically intense pdfs.

I'm about to sell my iPad, so maybe you can buy it on eBay.

I'm fed up with Apple's 'walled garden' nonsense. Their unabashed greed never ceases to amaze me. With their recent demand that all content providers who offer apps that allow the content to be viewed on the iPad pay them 30% of the purchase price, I'm gone. They've already run off Sony's e-Reader and Rhapsody's app. The Kindle app is likely next.

As soon as a few people get their hands on the Moto Xoom and verify that it isn't broken, I'm switching to it. We've got to send a message to the monolith corporation in Cupertino that we aren't that stupid. If we aren't careful, we'll have 'Microsoft-squared' in charge of all of our mobile devices. At least Microsoft just wanted to dominate the software market, Apple wants a cut of all the content as well. That is like MS asking for a percentage of every dollar earned in using Word.

They were cute when they were the scrappy little guy. They've now become the big bully; and like most once-bullied bullies, they are worse than the ones they replaced.

I'm done with Apple.

(before you ask, I'm not (or wasn't, at least) an Apple-hater. I have owned seven Apple devices.)

The Exchange

Micco wrote:

The iPad is an excellent PDF reader. I bet the other slate devices are just as good. None of the dedicated e-readers seem to be able to maintain the formatting of graphically intense pdfs.

I'm about to sell my iPad, so maybe you can buy it on eBay.

I'm fed up with Apple's 'walled garden' nonsense. Their unabashed greed never ceases to amaze me. With their recent demand that all content providers who offer apps that allow the content to be viewed on the iPad pay them 30% of the purchase price, I'm gone. They've already run off Sony's e-Reader and Rhapsody's app. The Kindle app is likely next.

As soon as a few people get their hands on the Moto Xoom and verify that it isn't broken, I'm switching to it. We've got to send a message to the monolith corporation in Cupertino that we aren't that stupid. If we aren't careful, we'll have 'Microsoft-squared' in charge of all of our mobile devices. At least Microsoft just wanted to dominate the software market, Apple wants a cut of all the content as well. That is like MS asking for a percentage of every dollar earned in using Word.

They were cute when they were the scrappy little guy. They've now become the big bully; and like most once-bullied bullies, they are worse than the ones they replaced.

I'm done with Apple.

(before you ask, I'm not (or wasn't, at least) an Apple-hater. I have owned seven Apple devices.)

I have learned to hate apple for all those reasons and more but i love the idea of the Ipad and look forward to somebody else making a good one at a decent price.


I own a Viewsonic Gtab available for 440-500 dollars (got mine at Sears 499, though they have sold for 450 there).

http://www.viewsonic.com/gtablet/spec.htm

specs:

Processor & Memory
1GHz NVIDIA Tegra 2 - Dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU
512MB DRR

Storage
16GB internal memory (expandable up to 32GB via SD Card)
Operating System
Google Android 2.2 (Froyo)

Graphics & Video Support
10.1" TFT-LCD with LED driver system and 1024x600 resolution
NVIDIA Tegra 2
OpenGL ES 2.0
32-bit LP-DDR2, DDR2
S1080p H.264/H.263/ VC-1/MPEG-2/4/WMV9/DiVX 4/5 Video Decode
1080p H.264/MPEG-4 Video Encode
Supports multi-standard audio formats, including AAC, AMR, WMA, and MP3
1.3-megapixel camera
Battery & Power
3650mAh Li-ion polymer battery
12V Power adapter
Operating Conditions
Voltage: 7.4V
Operating Temperature: 32°F to 113°F
Storage Temperature: : -4°F to 113°F
Package Content
gTablet
USB cable
Power adapter
Cleaning cloth
ESD cover
Warranty
User guide
Quick start guide
Color, Size & Weight
Width: 10.5"
Height: 6.8"
Depth: 0.54"
Weight: 1.55 lbs.
Color: Black
Networking & Communications

WiFi : 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
Audio
Built-in 2 x 1-watt stereo speakers
Connections
USB 2.0 (Slave)
Mini USB 2.0 (Host)
3.5mm stereo headphone
Micro SD
Dock for HDMI/Headphone/USB (optional)
DC Input (Power)

The screen displays Paizo PDF's fine (though it's not on-par with the Iphone4, or Ipads screen), and it doesn't slow down much if at all going through the pages, only a minor delay (1-2 seconds) when scrolling through 2+ pages with my PDF viewer (99 cents IIRC).

For about 1/2 the price of a Ipad/Xoom you get almost the same hardware the Xoom has, with a open (i.e. hackable, custom rom able) boot/nan, and the openess of android to apples closed.

Of course if you want closed OS thats fine (and Apple does it "best"), also android is still waiting for paizo official apps to be made for android :(, but I would rather wait and have the extra 400 bucks.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Micco wrote:

The iPad is an excellent PDF reader. I bet the other slate devices are just as good. None of the dedicated e-readers seem to be able to maintain the formatting of graphically intense pdfs.

I'm about to sell my iPad, so maybe you can buy it on eBay.

I'm fed up with Apple's 'walled garden' nonsense. Their unabashed greed never ceases to amaze me. With their recent demand that all content providers who offer apps that allow the content to be viewed on the iPad pay them 30% of the purchase price, I'm gone. They've already run off Sony's e-Reader and Rhapsody's app. The Kindle app is likely next.

To be fair, that only applies if Apple is bringing them the customer.And the iTunes App store is a sweet selling spot. If the customer buys the subscription on the provider's own site than Apple won't be seeing a dime.

Apple did not run off the Sony E-Reader, Sony being late to the game and coming out with an inferior product did that to them. Similarly Apple is not going to kick out the Kindle app from the store any more than it did the Google Reader.

It's totally within your rights to dislike Apple. But don't let rage and prejudice lead you to cloud the facts.

Shadow Lodge

LazarX wrote:
Micco wrote:


Apple did not run off the Sony E-Reader, Sony being late to the game and coming out with an inferior product did that to them. Similarly Apple is not going to kick out the Kindle app from the store any more than it did the Google Reader..

Eh? http://www.boingboing.net/2011/02/01/apple-announces-isto.html


I love my Kindle for reading books and it's amazing how easy it is on the eyes. I don't like reading books on a computer screen, but with Kindle I sometimes forget I'm not holding a real book. That said it isn't all that brilliant for pdf's. I've found that Paizo pdf's display alright and I can zoom in enough so that each column on a page is pretty readable, but it takes a couple of seconds to scroll around. That makes it pretty hard for me to immerse myself in a book sadly.


Pathfinder Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Thanks it looks like kindle the Ipad looks pretty but the price is wow even for a cheap one it is I just hate lugging around my lap top everywhere I go and it gets hot and such but thanks all your answers give me something to think about.


You may want to take a look at theNotion Ink's Adam tablet with a PixelQI screen (somewhere between e-ink and LCD)

I Myself am quite happy with my Kindle, but, as already noted, it's not the optimal device for reading long pdf's.


I've had my Adam for going into four weeks now and love it. Mine is the LCD version (PixelQi will cost you an extra $125 and really only shines if you plan on using it in sunlight). It works great as both an e-book reader and PDF viewer. I can get full-screen PDFs in view in portrait mode (albeit not for the weaker eyes) and half a page in landscape. Price point for LCD+WiFi model is $375.


I just got my shipping number for my PixelQi 3G Adam today.

I'm getting the PQ version because I'm primarily going to use the Adam as an E-reader. Reading a book on a back lit LCD screen kills my eyes but the transmissive mode of the Adam is almost as easy on my eyes as a real book. I didn't want the kindle because it's too limited. I want my gadgets to be multi-functional; with the Adam I get an E-reader, word & art processor, web browser and game machine in one.

The only downside is I have to switch carriers from verizion to someone else to enable the 3G.


Xabulba wrote:

I just got my shipping number for my PixelQi 3G Adam today.

I'm getting the PQ version because I'm primarily going to use the Adam as an E-reader. Reading a book on a back lit LCD screen kills my eyes but the transmissive mode of the Adam is almost as easy on my eyes as a real book. I didn't want the kindle because it's too limited. I want my gadgets to be multi-functional; with the Adam I get an E-reader, word & art processor, web browser and game machine in one.

The only downside is I have to switch carriers from verizion to someone else to enable the 3G.

Cool, you're the first other Paizo fan I've seen with an Adam! Hope you enjoy, and let me know if you have any questions. I've been banging around the Notion Addicts and Notion Ink Hacks sites for a while now (same user name) and have amassed a pretty good knowledge of tweaking the thing for performance and usability. The stock OS and software is okay, but with a ROM like EDENx it truly shines!

For e-readers, I tried out every free PDF viewer I could find, and settled back on the official Adobe Reader as the fastest, with Aldiko as the most feature-rich. I may give RepliGo a shot but it's a paid-only app.


erian_7 wrote:


Cool, you're the first other Paizo fan I've seen with an Adam! Hope you enjoy, and let me know if you have any questions. I've been banging around the Notion Addicts and Notion Ink Hacks sites for a while now (same user name) and have amassed a pretty good knowledge of tweaking the thing for performance and usability. The stock OS and software is okay, but with a ROM like EDENx it truly shines!

For e-readers, I tried out every free PDF viewer I could find, and settled back on the official Adobe Reader as the fastest, with Aldiko as the most feature-rich. I may give RepliGo a shot but it's a paid-only app.

I'm waiting for my tax returns, then probably going to order one myself. That is depending on if I want to wait until the end of next month before getting to order a LCD WiFi or I get impatient and get the PixelQi (if any are left by that time)


Xabulba wrote:
The only downside is I have to switch carriers from verizion to someone else to enable the 3G.

This is what sold me on the Kindle ;-)


erian_7 wrote:
Xabulba wrote:

I just got my shipping number for my PixelQi 3G Adam today.

I'm getting the PQ version because I'm primarily going to use the Adam as an E-reader. Reading a book on a back lit LCD screen kills my eyes but the transmissive mode of the Adam is almost as easy on my eyes as a real book. I didn't want the kindle because it's too limited. I want my gadgets to be multi-functional; with the Adam I get an E-reader, word & art processor, web browser and game machine in one.

The only downside is I have to switch carriers from verizion to someone else to enable the 3G.

Cool, you're the first other Paizo fan I've seen with an Adam! Hope you enjoy, and let me know if you have any questions. I've been banging around the Notion Addicts and Notion Ink Hacks sites for a while now (same user name) and have amassed a pretty good knowledge of tweaking the thing for performance and usability. The stock OS and software is okay, but with a ROM like EDENx it truly shines!

For e-readers, I tried out every free PDF viewer I could find, and settled back on the official Adobe Reader as the fastest, with Aldiko as the most feature-rich. I may give RepliGo a shot but it's a paid-only app.

I've been checking out Notion Addicts and Notion Ink Hacks also (same user name too) just to learn more about hacking my Adam when I get it. I've been experimenting on my droid to become more familiar with Android OS so I don't break anything important when I get the Adam.


Cool. I've found a pretty handy way of building an entire screen full of PDF links, making my own library. I'll start another thread so I don't clutter up this one's focus on e-books, since it'll likely linger into general Adam conversations...


erian_7 wrote:
Cool. I've found a pretty handy way of building an entire screen full of PDF links, making my own library. I'll start another thread so I don't clutter up this one's focus on e-books, since it'll likely linger into general Adam conversations...

You can add your pdfs into Aldiko and it will show them on it's bookshelf if you don't want a wall of icons staring at you.


Xabulba wrote:
erian_7 wrote:
Cool. I've found a pretty handy way of building an entire screen full of PDF links, making my own library. I'll start another thread so I don't clutter up this one's focus on e-books, since it'll likely linger into general Adam conversations...
You can add your pdfs into Aldiko and it will show them on it's bookshelf if you don't want a wall of icons staring at you.

Yep, but Aldiko wants to pull them over to the internal microSD, and also puts them all in rows on the bookshelf. It's nice, but not efficient when I've got dozens of books to look through. I tried the list view, but was looking for something with more direct access from the desktop. I've now found that I can use Smart Shortcuts to create tags (as with Aldiko) but then I can create folders on a desktop screen pointing at all the files with the same tag. So, I've got folders for Core, People, Places, Monsters, Pathfinder Society, etc. Tapping on a folder brings up links to the relevant PDFs (on my external microSD so my internal memory is freed up), and another tap brings the PDF up in ezPDF. I've found this to be much faster for locating the proper book, and ezPDF is much faster than Aldiko with larger files (at least so far).

Now, with all this said I should note that I'm using Launcher Pro, and so have enough screens to have one dedicated just to my Pathfinder book collection.

Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Technology / e-books readers All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.