Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

156,901 to 156,950 of 243,078 << first < prev | 3134 | 3135 | 3136 | 3137 | 3138 | 3139 | 3140 | 3141 | 3142 | 3143 | 3144 | next > last >>

4 people marked this as a favorite.

As of today, I have been a Security Guard for exactly Twenty Years!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
Less shenanigans (in fact many of your adventures and trips and such are great; and I love your gaming posts - you've got some awesome world-building!)

I haven't really posted enough lately, methinks. Work is insane and I need to catch up in school, and I've noticed my writing getting increasingly political. I tend to avoid politics on these boards as well, because I've found things just get nasty whichever side you swing towards. I'm pretty left wing unless the subject is gun control, and even I feel an undercurrent of hostility here. I do talk about politics elsewhere, just not here.

In terms of my worldbuilding, it comes down to the fact that the words "Eberron in Sixties America" dredges up a whole lot of political baggage, and even if I could downplay it, I don't really want to. I get that some people want to downplay politics as much as possible at their table, and I have nothing against that, but I'm the type to like social commentary in my art. Can at times make it difficult to talk about my work here, though.


TriOmegaZero wrote:

Scooby Doo and the Carrion Crown has been on hiatus since Fred and Shaggy were eaten by the work monster. We hope to have them restored once they have free Sundays again. (We are not optimistic.)

Today is our non-AP home game.

That doesn't actually answer my question...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
John Napier 698 wrote:
As of today, I have been a Security Guard for exactly Twenty Years!

Sweet! Congratulations!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rosita the Riveter wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:
Less shenanigans (in fact many of your adventures and trips and such are great; and I love your gaming posts - you've got some awesome world-building!)

I haven't really posted enough lately, methinks. Work is insane and I need to catch up in school, and I've noticed my writing getting increasingly political. I tend to avoid politics on these boards as well, because I've found things just get nasty whichever side you swing towards. I'm pretty left wing unless the subject is gun control, and even I feel an undercurrent of hostility here. I do talk about politics elsewhere, just not here.

In terms of my worldbuilding, it comes down to the fact that the words "Eberron in Sixties America" dredges up a whole lot of political baggage, and even if I could downplay it, I don't really want to. I get that some people want to downplay politics as much as possible at their table, and I have nothing against that, but I'm the type to like social commentary in my art. Can at times make it difficult to talk about my work here, though.

That's actually really fair. It's the reason I tend to avoid it, as well.

That said, as of your posting, I find nothing objectionable in your setting, and, in general, quite enjoy it! :D


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kileanna wrote:

Hey, TL, my posts are so long that they break the forum!!!

Envy?

I, uh... I once made a post that the forum just kind of said, "Nope. Shut up. Go away."

I didn't know that was why until, at long last, I decided to divide it into three posts, and it finally let me post it.

But, that one story aside... totally jelly~!


Man, I really should avoid slang, because that looks totally cray-cray!

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Tacticslion wrote:
That doesn't actually answer my question...

Fred and Shaggy are the ones who do the streaming.


Oh. Okay. I guess that does answer my question!

Dang it, TOZ, why aren't you giving me free entertainment?!

;D


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
Kileanna wrote:

Hey, TL, my posts are so long that they break the forum!!!

Envy?

I, uh... I once made a post that the forum just kind of said, "Nope. Shut up. Go away."

I didn't know that was why until, at long last, I decided to divide it into three posts, and it finally let me post it.

But, that one story aside... totally jelly~!

Totally what?


Tacticslion wrote:
totally jelly~!
Limeylongears wrote:
Totally what?

Hence,

Tacticslion wrote:
Man, I really should avoid slang, because that looks totally cray-cray!

:)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Tacticslion, check your pms


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Trollchoppy, a tiny troll familiar!


Freehold DM wrote:
Tacticslion, check your pms

HOLY CARP! SORRY, DUDE! I can't see stuff like that on my phone, and I just didn't look up once I got back to the computer!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

*sigh, gets dressed* D**n page break sneaked up on me. :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
John Napier 698 wrote:
*sigh, gets dressed* D**n page break sneaked up on me. :)

You secure your clothings poorly... :P


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Or was that your job's uniform?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm a Security Guard, not a Lifeguard. I simply wasn't paying attention to the post count. So there! :P


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Man, our Skull & Shackles game is keeping up its "PC a week" death rate. This week was the wishcrafter's turn to meet the reaper. The obit'll be long, so I'll post it tomorrow.

What about Del, you ask? Eaten by a shark, only to have the unfortunate shark learn she could heal faster than it could digest her, so she spent a good portion of the combat waiting impatiently for someone to cut her out.

Not her finest moment...


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

Man, our Skull & Shackles game is keeping up its "PC a week" death rate. This week was the wishcrafter's turn to meet the reaper. The obit'll be long, so I'll post it tomorrow.

What about Del, you ask? Eaten by a shark, only to have the unfortunate shark learn she could heal faster than it could digest her, so she spent a good portion of the combat waiting impatiently for someone to cut her out.

Not her finest moment...

I was going to ask, actually!

But... what about 14 year old shenanigans?!

Dang it, man, I need my free entertainment!

Can't you just tell the education system of California to shove off for a while?!


4 people marked this as a favorite.

It's quiet. Too quiet. Times like this that you might be eaten by a grue. Or a groo. Or possibly even a grew.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

more Grew you say? you hear that the boy wants more Groo!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
gran rey de los everything wrote:
It's quiet. Too quiet. Times like this that you might be eaten by a grue. Or a groo. Or possibly even a grew.

:D Nice Zork reference!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I think it's a grue.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
I think it's a grue.

It is indeed. And what the Grue does is gruesome.


So I just finished episode one of The Devil is a Part-Timer!, and, while I really shouldn't be by now (because, Japan*), I was actually surprised both with how seriously the opening took itself, and how it's sussed itself out.

Though it feels pretty trope-y - and I'm pretty sure that (by now) I can anime-guess where things are headed, over-all, with maybe, like, a degree of error or two - it's still a fun first episode (well, first episode and about ~5 minutes into the second).

Anyone else seen it? What do they think?

* To be fair, this isn't Japanese - not by a long shot. The trope of, "<Entity> from <Mythic Place> ending up in modern day <our country>!" is super-common. I find it less common in our current suite of films, but it certainly is present here, too - just look at Marvel's Thor or Superman for relatively recent ones. Beyond that, it makes sense - the filmmakers wish to express a culture both they and the audience are familiar with, and exploring the fish-out-of-water stories when the metaphorical "fish" is foreign to your basic tenets permits situational and social humor at their interface with what is, to you, a very common element of life (simultaneously parodying that aspect, and also potentially allowing you to appreciate it more). But it does seem a bit more common in anime, at present. Truth be told, with the way it started off, I expected something a lot more like I Couldn't Become a Hero,
so I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job
-style system with a fantasy world, but made modern and mundane - nope, it's a good ol' fashioned "BOOP: modern Japan!" story.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:

So I just finished episode one of The Devil is a Part-Timer!, and, while I really shouldn't be by now (because, Japan*), I was actually surprised both with how seriously the opening took itself, and how it's sussed itself out.

Though it feels pretty trope-y - and I'm pretty sure that (by now) I can anime-guess where things are headed, over-all, with maybe, like, a degree of error or two - it's still a fun first episode (well, first episode and about ~5 minutes into the second).

Anyone else seen it? What do they think?

* To be fair, this isn't Japanese - not by a long shot. The trope of, "<Entity> from <Mythic Place> ending up in modern day <our country>!" is super-common. I find it less common in our current suite of films, but it certainly is present here, too - just look at Marvel's Thor or Superman for relatively recent ones. Beyond that, it makes sense - the filmmakers wish to express a culture both they and the audience are familiar with, and exploring the fish-out-of-water stories when the metaphorical "fish" is foreign to your basic tenets permits situational and social humor at their interface with what is, to you, a very common element of life (simultaneously parodying that aspect, and also potentially allowing you to appreciate it more). But it does seem a bit more common in anime, at present. Truth be told, with the way it started off, I expected something a lot more like I Couldn't Become a Hero,
so I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job
-style system with a fantasy world, but made modern and mundane - nope, it's a good ol' fashioned "BOOP: modern Japan!" story.

~raises my hand~ Yes, I have seen it!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:

So I just finished episode one of The Devil is a Part-Timer!, and, while I really shouldn't be by now (because, Japan*), I was actually surprised both with how seriously the opening took itself, and how it's sussed itself out.

Though it feels pretty trope-y - and I'm pretty sure that (by now) I can anime-guess where things are headed, over-all, with maybe, like, a degree of error or two - it's still a fun first episode (well, first episode and about ~5 minutes into the second).

Anyone else seen it? What do they think?

We only watched one or two episodes. We found it perfectly fine, but we had other things on our plate (The Seven Deadly Sins or RWBY, anyone?) that were much, much better. So we stopped watching not because it was bad, but because there were better things we could be watching in our limited time.

Oh, and TL, the Skull & Shackles obit, just for you!

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

*googles TDiaPT*

That's adorable.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

@NobodysHome, I've just seen it, made me remember my own game. Now I'm still writing what happened on the third book and being quite a lazy writer these days (specially because I'm sick).


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I have to go to work to see what my schedule for the week is, should've done that over the weekend.

I hope I don't work tonight. :-)

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
captain yesterday wrote:

I have to go to work to see what my schedule for the week is, should've done that over the weekend.

I hope I don't work tonight. :-)

Can't you call?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

But then I would have to talk on the phone. And bother people.

Both things I hate way more than a ten minute drive.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

*nods*


Rysky wrote:

*googles TDiaPT*

That's adorable.

It's on Netflix, if you want to watch it and have Netflix!

That said:

EP2: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand instantly turned to a quasi-fan-service show, like, two minutes after I stopped to go do stuff? Dang it.

(Also, that ending credits picture. Sigh. :I Dang it, Japan.)


2 people marked this as a favorite.

OK. This is venturing from the "mildly annoying" into the "surreally funny", so I'll share:

  • 3 years ago, I was a chaperone on our elementary school's Point Bonita field trip. The trip was an unmitigated disaster, because one of the chaperones decided to take a few kids on a hike... and NINE of the other 12 chaperones decided to accompany him, leaving 3 chaperones and 3 teachers to manage the 120 students who weren't hiking. It was easily the worst chaperoning experience of my life (even worse than when one of the chaperones provided beer to the kids), and I have always had a special place in my "heart-o-hatred" for the guy who organized the whole, "Abandon all my duties because I'd rather be vacationing" chaperone
  • To my utter astonishment, Ms. S allowed him to be a chaperone on our middle school Great America trip. She usually picks the "best of the best" as her chaperones, so what the f*** was he doing on the trip?
  • To very few people's surprise, he was utterly useless. If you asked him to do something, he did it. If you didn't directly instruct him, he treated the trip as a free vacation. Best example: We lost a young girl, who was last seen in the hotel lobby where several unsavory sorts were loitering. She told her friends she was going to the bathroom and vanished. Cue a snowstorm of chaperone messages, a broadcast the students, and general panic for 10-15 minutes. I personally started retracing her steps, starting at the bathroom in the lobby and moving to likely locations. I finally determined that she was most likely in the pool area, so I stopped all shenanigans in the pool to ask about her, and... there she was, swimming in the pool. Our useless chaperone? There, 10 feet away from her, but not having checked ANY of his messages so he was totally unaware that anything was amiss.
  • When I asked Impus Minor what he thought of the guy (since IM was assigned to him), his quote (verbatim) was, "Oh, I think he was pretty incompetent. All he did was hang out with his son and ride roller coasters all day."
    Ouch.
  • So apparently *his* son just wrote up a journal for the trip and said, "Yeah, it was awesome! I got to hang around in Great America with my dad all day!"
  • So yeah, apparently actually being proactive and looking out for the other kids assigned to you is beyond this guy, much less looking out for the HUNDRED AND TEN KIDS we were responsible for!!!!
  • /rant.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    I... I didn't think I was a chaperone with NH...


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    (More seriously, that guy sounds terribly annoying and/or awful to have with.)


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    NobodysHome wrote:

    Oh, and TL, the Skull & Shackles obit, just for you!

    Hmmm... it lacks fourteen year olds doing weird things, but there is enough flailing about in futility that I'll allow it. For now.

    Grand Lodge

    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
    Tacticslion wrote:

    EP2: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand instantly turned to a quasi-fan-service show, like, two minutes after I stopped to go do stuff? Dang it.

    (Also, that ending credits picture. Sigh. :I Dang it, Japan.)

    :/ The sifting continues.


    Eh. I'll deal. It's either that or drop, like, all non-Avatar anime*, so...

    Besides, it's not really that bad, comparatively. It's just... needless.

    * It totally is, I don't care.

    Grand Lodge

    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

    I'll shoot some recommendations at you later.

    I think Scrapped Princess was light on the fanservice, relative to anime standards.


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    Tacticslion wrote:

    So I just finished episode one of The Devil is a Part-Timer!, and, while I really shouldn't be by now (because, Japan*), I was actually surprised both with how seriously the opening took itself, and how it's sussed itself out.

    Though it feels pretty trope-y - and I'm pretty sure that (by now) I can anime-guess where things are headed, over-all, with maybe, like, a degree of error or two - it's still a fun first episode (well, first episode and about ~5 minutes into the second).

    Anyone else seen it? What do they think?

    * To be fair, this isn't Japanese - not by a long shot. The trope of, "<Entity> from <Mythic Place> ending up in modern day <our country>!" is super-common. I find it less common in our current suite of films, but it certainly is present here, too - just look at Marvel's Thor or Superman for relatively recent ones. Beyond that, it makes sense - the filmmakers wish to express a culture both they and the audience are familiar with, and exploring the fish-out-of-water stories when the metaphorical "fish" is foreign to your basic tenets permits situational and social humor at their interface with what is, to you, a very common element of life (simultaneously parodying that aspect, and also potentially allowing you to appreciate it more). But it does seem a bit more common in anime, at present. Truth be told, with the way it started off, I expected something a lot more like I Couldn't Become a Hero,
    so I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job
    -style system with a fantasy world, but made modern and mundane - nope, it's a good ol' fashioned "BOOP: modern Japan!" story.

    I have watched every episode multiple times.

    There guesses who my favorite character is.

    First two don't count!


    TriOmegaZero wrote:

    I'll shoot some recommendations at you later.

    I think Scrapped Princess was light on the fanservice, relative to anime standards.

    Seen it! I don't actually think there was fanservice at all, from my memory? (Or maybe there was, but I don't remember it?)

    Anyway, I enjoyed it! (That ending, though. Dang it, anime, actually get around to, you know, explaining things, sometime. Ah, well, it's in good company: that's basically almost every FF ever made*, except, maybe, six and ten**.)

    And I exaggerate, but I find fewer and fewer anime without reliance on it, even really good ones, like Full Metal Panic!

    Heck, even Princess Tutu, which, as a series, has a notable NPC with almost-literal Ken-Doll-like nothing used (really nonsense) fanservice in an attempt to sell the DVD.

    There's nothing wrong with beautiful people. I just find the rather continuous use of it in pointless places to be annoying.

    (I'm aware I'm in a minority on that opinion, too, otherwise it wouldn't be used so very much.)

    * Either that, or "And suddenly, this thing you've nver heard of!" which ten is totally guilty of.

    ** Really, I mean 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 10. I can't comment on two or three, or anything after 10. Even FFT and Vagrant Story have endings requiring some outside explanation to understand. Fortunately, the super-awesome director did exactly that!


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Tacticslion wrote:
    Rysky wrote:

    *googles TDiaPT*

    That's adorable.

    It's on Netflix, if you want to watch it and have Netflix!

    That said:

    EP2: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand instantly turned to a quasi-fan-service show, like, two minutes after I stopped to go do stuff? Dang it.

    (Also, that ending credits picture. Sigh. :I Dang it, Japan.)

    but....but.....the series is so good! Watch it!


    3 people marked this as a favorite.
    Tacticslion wrote:
    TriOmegaZero wrote:

    I'll shoot some recommendations at you later.

    I think Scrapped Princess was light on the fanservice, relative to anime standards.

    Seen it! I don't actually think there was fanservice at all, from my memory? (Or maybe there was, but I don't remember it?)

    Anyway, I enjoyed it! (That ending, though. Dang it, anime, actually get around to, you know, explaining things, sometime. Ah, well, it's in good company: that's basically almost every FF ever made*, except, maybe, six and ten**.)

    And I exaggerate, but I find fewer and fewer anime without reliance on it, even really good ones, like Full Metal Panic!

    Heck, even Princess Tutu, which, as a series, has a notable NPC with almost-literal Ken-Doll-like nothing used (really nonsense) fanservice in an attempt to sell the DVD.

    There's nothing wrong with beautiful people. I just find the rather continuous use of it in pointless places to be annoying.

    (I'm aware I'm in a minority on that opinion, too, otherwise it wouldn't be used so very much.)

    * Either that, or "And suddenly, this thing you've nver heard of!" which ten is totally guilty of.

    ** Really, I mean 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 10. I can't comment on two or three, or anything after 10. Even FFT and Vagrant Story have endings requiring some outside explanation to understand. Fortunately, the super-awesome director did exactly that!

    but....but...cheesecake...its what's for dinner!

    And breakfast!

    And second breakfast!

    And elevensies!

    And brunch!

    And lunch!

    And post lunch snack!


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Freehold DM wrote:

    There guesses who my favorite character is.

    First two don't count!

    -1) Emi

    -2) Emi
    -3) Emi
    -4) "Notice me, Senpai!" er, I mean "Chiho"

    EDIT: Be aware, that my guesses are made as of episode three. So, it's almost (but really it's not) cheating if it's someone I haven't met, yet!

    Also, I get four guesses, because "There" isn't a number! ;P


    Freehold DM wrote:

    but....but...cheesecake...its what's for dinner!

    And breakfast!

    And second breakfast!

    And elevensies!

    And brunch!

    And lunch!

    And post lunch snack!

    Hey! That much cheesecake will make you fatter than I am, now!

    Too much! That's too much cheesecake!

    I want to enjoy mine, not be "blarged" out from overdose!

    Silver Crusade

    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
    Freehold DM wrote:
    Tacticslion wrote:

    So I just finished episode one of The Devil is a Part-Timer!, and, while I really shouldn't be by now (because, Japan*), I was actually surprised both with how seriously the opening took itself, and how it's sussed itself out.

    Though it feels pretty trope-y - and I'm pretty sure that (by now) I can anime-guess where things are headed, over-all, with maybe, like, a degree of error or two - it's still a fun first episode (well, first episode and about ~5 minutes into the second).

    Anyone else seen it? What do they think?

    * To be fair, this isn't Japanese - not by a long shot. The trope of, "<Entity> from <Mythic Place> ending up in modern day <our country>!" is super-common. I find it less common in our current suite of films, but it certainly is present here, too - just look at Marvel's Thor or Superman for relatively recent ones. Beyond that, it makes sense - the filmmakers wish to express a culture both they and the audience are familiar with, and exploring the fish-out-of-water stories when the metaphorical "fish" is foreign to your basic tenets permits situational and social humor at their interface with what is, to you, a very common element of life (simultaneously parodying that aspect, and also potentially allowing you to appreciate it more). But it does seem a bit more common in anime, at present. Truth be told, with the way it started off, I expected something a lot more like I Couldn't Become a Hero,
    so I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job
    -style system with a fantasy world, but made modern and mundane - nope, it's a good ol' fashioned "BOOP: modern Japan!" story.

    I have watched every episode multiple times.

    There guesses who my favorite character is.

    First two don't count!

    Having not watched the show I request the answer so that I may google them.


    Also: it is a delight to read the English subtitles while listening to the English dub. So very different, yet both are enlightening!

    (Sorry, FH! I like what I like!)

    156,901 to 156,950 of 243,078 << first < prev | 3134 | 3135 | 3136 | 3137 | 3138 | 3139 | 3140 | 3141 | 3142 | 3143 | 3144 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.