Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

171,451 to 171,500 of 243,382 << first < prev | 3425 | 3426 | 3427 | 3428 | 3429 | 3430 | 3431 | 3432 | 3433 | 3434 | 3435 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

And I have to say, the more I play with them, the more I'm loving Hero Points.

Last night the two casters (shaman and necromancer) got caught by two barbarians, and it was... bad. The shaman had 3 hit points left, and the necromancer had 11, so one of them was going to die.

Cue the expenditure of one Hero Point for the shaman to cast Fly, take a second action to grapple the necromancer, and then a move action to fly up as fast as the spell would take him (i.e., not a heck of a lot, but enough to get out of reach).

The barbarians were left facing the bloodrager. Unhappy barbarians.

Just an epic, epic moment, brought about by Hero Points.

A bloodrager, necromancer, and a shaman walk into a bar...

Why do I feel like I should know that party?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

You should know pants.


7 people marked this as a favorite.

<_<


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Greetings, dread lady.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:
<_<

Hey! I know you!

... what a time for you to show up!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

[initiating hope circuits]

Burns effigy of Micheal Bay made out of lens flares in hopeful anticipation.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Drejk wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:

And I have to say, the more I play with them, the more I'm loving Hero Points.

Last night the two casters (shaman and necromancer) got caught by two barbarians, and it was... bad. The shaman had 3 hit points left, and the necromancer had 11, so one of them was going to die.

Cue the expenditure of one Hero Point for the shaman to cast Fly, take a second action to grapple the necromancer, and then a move action to fly up as fast as the spell would take him (i.e., not a heck of a lot, but enough to get out of reach).

The barbarians were left facing the bloodrager. Unhappy barbarians.

Just an epic, epic moment, brought about by Hero Points.

A bloodrager, necromancer, and a shaman walk into a bar...

Why do I feel like I should know that party?

The necromancer's a tengu. Does that help?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Life Sized Prop of Orthos wrote:

[initiating hope circuits]

Burns effigy of Micheal Bay made out of lens flares in hopeful anticipation.

Dang it, every time I see this, there's this moment...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Way to eschew the stereotype of the death carrying bird man.

Wait... Is that a stereotype...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Tacticslion wrote:
Life Sized Prop of Orthos wrote:

[initiating hope circuits]

Burns effigy of Micheal Bay made out of lens flares in hopeful anticipation.

Dang it, every time I see this, there's this moment...

I thought with Scint around Orthos might follow.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

Mostly poked around because I'm teaching some kids to play PF (one of them found out I played last spring and begged me to teach her. I told her get a group together, and we'll talk...so I have six high school kids being walked through their first PnP game ever) and wanted to poke about the AP forums. We're about midway through Edge of Anarchy.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:
Mostly poked around because I'm teaching some kids to play PF (one of them found out I played last spring and begged me to teach her. I told her get a group together, and we'll talk...so I have six high school kids being walked through their first PnP game ever) and wanted to poke about the AP forums. We're about midway through Edge of Anarchy.

Be glad it's not boys. I could tell you stories about teenage boys and Pathfinder...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Other than my brother I know one other person that plays Pathfinder.

Unfortunately, D&D is too strong in our area.

I hate it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Yes, I did put a blanket on our last pumpkin and string of gourds.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
Scintillae wrote:
Mostly poked around because I'm teaching some kids to play PF (one of them found out I played last spring and begged me to teach her. I told her get a group together, and we'll talk...so I have six high school kids being walked through their first PnP game ever) and wanted to poke about the AP forums. We're about midway through Edge of Anarchy.
Be glad it's not boys. I could tell you stories about teenage boys and Pathfinder...

Two boys, four girls. Two of the girls are flirting with literally every NPC we meet.


Huzzah! My kind of players!

... wait.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

The dog sure does love the colder weather, I think smells are smellier.

Or maybe just the bunnies.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:

Huzzah! My kind of players!

... wait.

It's so awkward, and it's already reached the point where I think half of the flirting is just a running joke.

...as soon as they heard the king was dead, they began arguing over which of them gets to marry the queen. I...um...yeah, have fun with that.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Boy, won't they be surprised. I wish I could see their faces when they find out that the Queen isn't that nice of a person.


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
Scintillae wrote:
Mostly poked around because I'm teaching some kids to play PF (one of them found out I played last spring and begged me to teach her. I told her get a group together, and we'll talk...so I have six high school kids being walked through their first PnP game ever) and wanted to poke about the AP forums. We're about midway through Edge of Anarchy.
Be glad it's not boys. I could tell you stories about teenage boys and Pathfinder...
Two boys, four girls. Two of the girls are flirting with literally every NPC we meet.

When they move on to marrying froghemoths, THEN we'll talk...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Every Froghemoth is a prince, after all. :D


2 people marked this as a favorite.
John Napier 698 wrote:
Boy, won't they be surprised. I wish I could see their faces when they find out that the Queen isn't that nice of a person.

I know, right? They didn't even ask to roll sense motive or anything.

This after they've sense motived everything they've met up to that point. Loyal to the crown, I guess?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

"Blind loyalty will only get you killed." - Some singer whose name escapes me right now.


John Napier 698 wrote:
"Blind loyalty will only get you killed." - Some singer whose name escapes me right now.

Google wasn't helpful in finding that.


Scintillae Spoiler!:
Scintillae wrote:
John Napier 698 wrote:
Boy, won't they be surprised. I wish I could see their faces when they find out that the Queen isn't that nice of a person.

I know, right? They didn't even ask to roll sense motive or anything.

This after they've sense motived everything they've met up to that point. Loyal to the crown, I guess?

More like, "She's the queen and a clearly mourning widow - why would we suspect her?"

It's a blind spot many people have.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I think it was Bruce Springsteen, but it wasn't part of a song. If I recall correctly, it was an intro.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
John Napier 698 wrote:
I think it was Bruce Springsteen, but it wasn't part of a song. If I recall correctly, it was an intro.

There it is!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Welcome back, Scintillae. You have been missed.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:

Short version: it's the same thing that you see it as, except for adding the whole "mutant power" angle to it.

In terms of theming, though, they're very different.

They were, at least in D&D, some combination of martial arts monks (including some influence on clothing), but stylized in the extremely urban "punk" motifs (with tattoos and piercings), a "new age" blend of internal thought and some few motifs (see: crystals, also clothing), and Lovecraftian elements (see most other things).

As much as I love it, I still have an extremely unfortunate lack of physical Dreamscarred merch (meaning that, for me at least, I pay less attention to the art), but, upon glancing through again, it seems the "urban punk" aesthetic is replaced by more of a "high fantasy" aesthetic (heavily informed by, but distinct from, Paizo's Pathfinder aesthetic).

While the original focused on dark and grim conceits with background emphasizing decay and collapse, the Dreamscarred stuff is actually bright and clean - even the dark pictures show exalted-like* heroes, and this makes a huge difference in things.

While imagery doesn't make the world, it can inform what the authors and designers were thinking, to some extent.

The 3.5 versions were, in effect, outcast urban-/mana-punk 'lonesome' shamans, who haunted solitary places in order to find their own inner path to enlightenment, and maybe follow strange psychic calls and weird (or wyrd) realities to find others of their ilk and congregate for great psychic** power. Maybe they take on some apprentice or another who happens to have the bizarre mutation that allows them to exist. The world is crap, and bad things happen to good people, but that inner light - that genetic quirk that makes you "other" - might just save you from the madness. In rare situations, there will be secluded monasteries or whole institutions devoted to churning out these creatures - inevitably either "those few holding back the edge of madness" or "those monsters stealing our minds out from among us."

The DSP, on the other hand, shows a world where there may, well, be monasteries, schools, even knightly orders and royal academies of the same. These psionic individuals are part of the kingdom or nation or whatever. These are not outcasts - hated for being weird and bizarre - these are the keepers of the kingdom, those shining paragons who keep the darkness at bay with upright postures and loyalty to the <proper authority> (even if it is only themselves, depending on alignment). There are certainly places of seclusion, but those places are either sanctioned - by their own choice, if not actual governments - or weirdos to their own kind. And, to be clear, "their own kind" is just as common as anyone else.

In this case, they become respected communities and honor among the people in general.

All that said: they actually are, you know, exactly those people who disappear into a monastery and come back martial powerhouses - at least some of them. The psychic warriors and soulknives are, and, if you go with the full DSP stuff, aegis, marksman, and tactician are all martial masters.

The more "pure" psionic creatures like psions require both extreme self-discipline (something I'm sadly lacking) as well a "spark" - an innate talent that can't be taught. That is what separates them from, say, wizards, who are simply trained into their magic. But I'm certain enough about DSP feats to say that for sure, though it was clearly that way in 3.X.

Anyway, lots of rambling. Does that help?

It does! I never noticed psionics having a Lovecraftian theme, but that does give me an idea! While I think that D&D is plenty full of opportunities for casters to allay/succumb to Dark Dangers from Beyond, whether they be fiends, dark gods, or angry elementals -- and to be honest, I'm not much of a Lovecraft fan -- I'm now imagining psionics creating opportunities for casters to succumb to the Dark Dangers from Within.

If psionics is all about self-discipline and self-knowing...what if a psion's true self turns out to be really really ugly, and becoming a psion has the secondary effect of distilling and strengthening that ugliness, and stripping away the inner barriers keeping it from the outside world?

I've spent years looking inward and searching for my inner self, and what I've discovered is...that I hate, and that I love to hate...

Provides plenty of fodder for conflict both within and without the ascetic orders -- the orders have reason to hunt so-called dark psions, because they make the orders look bad. Unless of course politics get involved, and one order uses the infamy of another order's dark psion to gain in prestige. And then there are the priests, who love to use dark psions as an example of why mortals are flawed and require divine inspiration. And the ascetic orders are always quick to point out the terrible things which certain priests have done in the name of the gods...

Yeeeeeessssss, I think you've just given me something to work with...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
John Napier 698 wrote:
I think it was Bruce Springsteen, but it wasn't part of a song. If I recall correctly, it was an intro.
There it is!

THAT'S IT! Exactly.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Tequila Sunrise wrote:

It does! I never noticed psionics having a Lovecraftian theme, but that does give me an idea! While I think that D&D is plenty full of opportunities for casters to allay/succumb to Dark Dangers from Beyond, whether they be fiends, dark gods, or angry elementals -- and to be honest, I'm not much of a Lovecraft fan -- I'm now imagining psionics creating opportunities for casters to succumb to the Dark Dangers from Within.

If psionics is all about self-discipline and self-knowing...what if a psion's true self turns out to be really really ugly, and becoming a psion has the secondary effect of distilling and strengthening that ugliness, and stripping away the inner barriers keeping it from the outside world?

I've spent years looking inward and searching for my inner self, and what I've discovered is...that I hate, and that I love to hate...

Provides plenty of fodder for conflict both within and without the ascetic orders -- the orders have reason to hunt so-called dark psions, because they make the orders look bad. Unless of course politics get involved, and one order uses the infamy of another order's dark psion to gain in prestige. And then there are the priests, who love to use dark psions as an example of why mortals are flawed and require divine inspiration. And the ascetic orders are always quick to point out the terrible things which certain priests have done in the name of the gods...

Yeeeeeessssss, I think you've just given me something to work with...

Kind of reminds me of the film Lord of Illusions by Clive Barker.


10 people marked this as a favorite.

I guess I should probably make an appearance, if only because I was gonna start doing writeups of our new Savage Tide game sooner or later...


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Sharoth wrote:
Welcome back, Scintillae. You have been missed.

It's really just been hyper busy here. Last post was just after I finished moving for new job, so settling in had to happen. So much happier at this district than the last, even if it's twice as many preps to deal with (but hey, I'm finally back to social studies, if only half the day).


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Orthos wrote:
I guess I should probably make an appearance, if only because I was gonna start doing writeups of our new Savage Tide game sooner or later...

Oh, good God.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

SO HAPPY TO SEE YOU BOOOOOTH~!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

About to close up the garage and go home. Good night, everyone.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Orthos wrote:
I guess I should probably make an appearance, if only because I was gonna start doing writeups of our new Savage Tide game sooner or later...

Yay!

Sounds fun!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Hey there Orthos.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
Drejk wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:

And I have to say, the more I play with them, the more I'm loving Hero Points.

Last night the two casters (shaman and necromancer) got caught by two barbarians, and it was... bad. The shaman had 3 hit points left, and the necromancer had 11, so one of them was going to die.

Cue the expenditure of one Hero Point for the shaman to cast Fly, take a second action to grapple the necromancer, and then a move action to fly up as fast as the spell would take him (i.e., not a heck of a lot, but enough to get out of reach).

The barbarians were left facing the bloodrager. Unhappy barbarians.

Just an epic, epic moment, brought about by Hero Points.

A bloodrager, necromancer, and a shaman walk into a bar...

Why do I feel like I should know that party?

The necromancer's a tengu. Does that help?

And they are accompanied by a human rogue, and a bunch of ghouls and skeletons commanded by the necromancer? No idea who they might be!


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Ducktales?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Orthos wrote:
I guess I should probably make an appearance, if only because I was gonna start doing writeups of our new Savage Tide game sooner or later...

*pokes*

Wait...

This one's real!!!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Orthos wrote:
I guess I should probably make an appearance, if only because I was gonna start doing writeups of our new Savage Tide game sooner or later...

I hope to be the first, and only person to get to 500 aliases.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I stabbed myself in the forehead with a car door.

This summer I mean, not again.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

*waves wing to Scint and Orthos*


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

And a final bit of silliness: We're playing a PRD-only campaign and I'll soon need to choose a 7th-level spell for my life oracle. I'm looking at either:

  • Holy Word: Wonderfully powerful, but considering it's a pirate-themed game so she's the only good-aligned character in the party, she'd have to run off into the boonies to avoid harming her party and slaughtering her crew. Funny, but less-than-ideal
  • Jolting Portent: Take that, enemy casters!

  • Anyone have any others they'd recommend? Otherwise I'm kind of stuck. Role-playing wise, Holy Word is far more amusing: "I have an incredibly-powerful spell, but I can never use it!"
    Effectiveness-wise, Jolting Portent is likely to occasionally hamper enemy casters, but is hardly worth a 7th-level spell slot.

    I do like Waves of Ecstasy because it fits in with her character concept rather well, but I'm not sure how effective it would be at our level.

    I'm a big fan of Destruction.

    Also Dictum (Dictum? I barely know him!)


    2 people marked this as a favorite.

    Off to the last day at work.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    Woo! Scint and Orthos! Hello again.


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    Drejk wrote:
    Off to the last day at work.

    I've often found that last days are the best days. Mainly because I no longer give a f$*@ at that point.

    Dark Archive

    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    I didn't realize I wanted an immense submarine aircraft carrier until today, but yeah now I want one.

    Did anyone
    here play TOP SECRET
    back in the day?


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    baron arem heshvaun wrote:

    I didn't realize I wanted an immense submarine aircraft carrier until today, but yeah now I want one.

    Did anyone
    here play TOP SECRET
    back in the day?

    Yes.

    171,451 to 171,500 of 243,382 << first < prev | 3425 | 3426 | 3427 | 3428 | 3429 | 3430 | 3431 | 3432 | 3433 | 3434 | 3435 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.