Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

274,051 to 274,100 of 281,571 << first < prev | 5477 | 5478 | 5479 | 5480 | 5481 | 5482 | 5483 | 5484 | 5485 | 5486 | 5487 | next > last >>

5 people marked this as a favorite.

Dad is out of hospital. He feels better and lost about 20 kilograms of excess water. He got new medication and extended medical leave from work, likely ending in his retirement—he won't be able to perform heavy works anyway without straining his now rather limited heart capabilities.


Great to hear that he's improving -- does Poland have some kind of pension/retirement so he'll be OK?


NobodysHome wrote:
Great to hear that he's improving -- does Poland have some kind of pension/retirement so he'll be OK?

He's in UK since 2006 and acquired the right to British pension, though it will be pitiful small. Getting his Polish pension might be a mess because he was self-employed for most of his life and I don't know how well his documentation is. We argued multiple times over the phone when he was asking me to go to social services and organize his pension for him while I kept explaining to him they won't even speak with me about his personal information without notarized letter of attorney.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Drejk wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
Great to hear that he's improving -- does Poland have some kind of pension/retirement so he'll be OK?
He's in UK since 2006 and acquired the right to British pension, though it will be pitiful small. Getting his Polish pension might be a mess because he was self-employed for most of his life and I don't know how well his documentation is. We argued multiple times over the phone when he was asking me to go to social services and organize his pension for him while I kept explaining to him they won't even speak with me about his personal information without notarized letter of attorney.

Ugh. Yeah, I'm incredibly thankful that GothBard's grandparents got themselves an incredibly dutiful fiduciary who must be in at least his 70s by now, but who's still taking care of her mother's financial affairs. This year he got her to get a lawyer, set up a trust, set up a will, and get everything in place so she's financially taken care of for the rest of her life.

If all fiduciaries are as good as this guy, I highly recommend them once you've stored up enough in retirement savings for it to matter.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
If all fiduciaries are as good as this guy, I highly recommend them once you've stored up enough in retirement savings for it to matter.

BUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Ah, sorry...


Speaking of government benefits, it's funny how being on the receiving end of them immediately drives you towards conservatism:

Unemployment: Pay 1.1% of your gross income forever to receive 21.3% of your income if you lose your job through no fault of your own (quitting or being fired does not qualify you for unemployment). This doesn't sound too bad, except thanks to all the delays and red tape in processing GothBard's layoff (she worked August 8, so no benefits that week. The week of August 15 was a "cooling-down" period where she wasn't qualified. We got paid for the week of August 22, but the next claim can't be filed until today), so far it's only 4.3%, which is pathetic.

Social Security: Pay 6.5% of your gross income forever to receive 16.7% of your income for retirement. Yeah, how many people can live off 16.7% of their income? And no, I'm not maxing out Social Security, so it really is that bad. I don't know whether it's better for people with lower incomes, but for us Social Security is a pathetic joke.

So 7.6% of our gross income is going into forced savings where investing in treasury bonds would be at least an order of magnitude better. Is it any wonder that people start receiving these benefits and immediately scream, "This is crap! Throw it out!"

EDIT: While there's a solid argument that GothBard's unemployment is so low because her income was so high, the fact that it's well below California minimum wage is inexcusable. Plus if you're going to cap it at a low level, you should also cap the contribution (as is done for SS).

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Drejk wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
If all fiduciaries are as good as this guy, I highly recommend them once you've stored up enough in retirement savings for it to matter.

BUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Ah, sorry...

+2


NobodysHome wrote:

Speaking of government benefits, it's funny how being on the receiving end of them immediately drives you towards conservatism:

Unemployment: Pay 1.1% of your gross income forever to receive 21.3% of your income if you lose your job through no fault of your own (quitting or being fired does not qualify you for unemployment). This doesn't sound too bad, except thanks to all the delays and red tape in processing GothBard's layoff (she worked August 8, so no benefits that week. The week of August 15 was a "cooling-down" period where she wasn't qualified. We got paid for the week of August 22, but the next claim can't be filed until today), so far it's only 4.3%, which is pathetic.

Social Security: Pay 6.5% of your gross income forever to receive 16.7% of your income for retirement. Yeah, how many people can live off 16.7% of their income? And no, I'm not maxing out Social Security, so it really is that bad. I don't know whether it's better for people with lower incomes, but for us Social Security is a pathetic joke.

So 7.6% of our gross income is going into forced savings where investing in treasury bonds would be at least an order of magnitude better. Is it any wonder that people start receiving these benefits and immediately scream, "This is crap! Throw it out!"

EDIT: While there's a solid argument that GothBard's unemployment is so low because her income was so high, the fact that it's well below California minimum wage is inexcusable. Plus if you're going to cap it at a low level, you should also cap the contribution (as is done for SS).

Actually, you can collect unemployment if you get fired. The circumstances around your firing matter, but you can get it. At least you can here.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:
Actually, you can collect unemployment if you get fired. The circumstances around your firing matter, but you can get it. At least you can here.

It depends on your definition of "fired":

California Unemployment Office wrote:
An individual is disqualified for unemployment compensation benefits if the director finds that he or she left his or her most recent work voluntarily without good cause or that he or she has been discharged for misconduct connected with his or her most recent work.

Nolo Press points out that if you're fired because you're incapable of doing the job, then you can collect unemployment. I should have expanded on, "Through no fault of your own."

GothBard got fired from her job as a hot tub saleswoman because she was terrible at it because she wouldn't lie to her potential customers. She got fired for "inability to perform her job duties". She got unemployment for that.

I should have said, "Quitting or being fired with cause does not qualify you..."


3 people marked this as a favorite.

In other news, we got upgraded to gigabit internet today.

The good: My CAT5e wiring can handle it; even GothBard's studio is at 900 Mbps, and that's running through my switch, about 100' of CAT5e, and a router. Losing 10% is an absolute win in that kind of situation.

The bad: I'm using my old 100 Mbps switch at my desk, and it's capping out at 96 Mbps, meaning I need a newer switch. I hate throwing out a $500, 24-port switch, but I have to remind myself I bought it in 2002. It's served its time, and it's no longer up to the tasks I'm demanding of it.

Goodbye, old friend! I'm sorry I'll replace you with something 10x as fast that uses 1/10th the power, but progress must be accepted...


4 people marked this as a favorite.

The Eternal Monday Conversation:
NobodysHome: I wish I didn't have to work today.
GothBard: I wish I had work today.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

And since I'm sure people are wondering, when GothBard applied for her "dream job" there were two open positions: One for her "dream job" and the other doing "design it and throw it over the wall" work for a sportsballgame.

The interview was for the sportsballgame. Of course, being a sportsballgame, the position paid extremely well. Unfortunately, it would be just like me at Global Megacorporation: Working to collect a paycheck, rather than out of any joy for your career. Since she can afford to be patient at the moment, she's going to very politely decline the offer, hint that she's still interested in the other, lower-paying one, and see whether they bite.


NobodysHome wrote:
The bad: I'm using my old 100 Mbps switch at my desk, and it's capping out at 96 Mbps, meaning I need a newer switch. I hate throwing out a $500, 24-port switch, but I have to remind myself I bought it in 2002. It's served its time, and it's no longer up to the tasks I'm demanding of it.

Wait, all that time I had internet faster than you... More than two times faster for the last few years?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

And since I'm sure people are wondering, when GothBard applied for her "dream job" there were two open positions: One for her "dream job" and the other doing "design it and throw it over the wall" work for a sportsballgame.

The interview was for the sportsballgame. Of course, being a sportsballgame, the position paid extremely well. Unfortunately, it would be just like me at Global Megacorporation: Working to collect a paycheck, rather than out of any joy for your career. Since she can afford to be patient at the moment, she's going to very politely decline the offer, hint that she's still interested in the other, lower-paying one, and see whether they bite.

Ugh. Sportsballgame? Who even plays those?!

Waste of designers time.

*Drejk might have strong opinions about certain game types or others*


1 person marked this as a favorite.

ALL (DE) has found a Ghanaian remake of the 'Mortal Kombat' film, which I am very excited to see.


Drejk wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
The bad: I'm using my old 100 Mbps switch at my desk, and it's capping out at 96 Mbps, meaning I need a newer switch. I hate throwing out a $500, 24-port switch, but I have to remind myself I bought it in 2002. It's served its time, and it's no longer up to the tasks I'm demanding of it.

Wait, all that time I had internet faster than you... More than two times faster for the last few years?

I've been living at 53 Mbps for roughly the last 15 years. Even when GothBard's mother moved to our neighborhood and got gigabit internet, it wasn't available to us. So yep. We've been appallingly slow all this time. Couldn't possibly download Freehold levels of porn.


I wouldn't call 53 Mbps appallingly slow. Having 60 Mbps for a time, I say that it is decent. Well, taking into the account bloat of modern browsers, maybe more of decent-ish currently.

You don't seem to be downloading constantly dozens of GBs of games on steam or other platforms anyway...

I started Just Cause 4 last week and it was boring hour or so waiting until it installs on Steam.


6 people marked this as a favorite.

Impus Major: I got to cut up a 90-year-old man today!
NobodysHome: (Please let it have been for school. Please let it have been for school.)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Limeylongears wrote:
ALL (DE) has found a Ghanaian remake of the 'Mortal Kombat' film, which I am very excited to see.

We watched a bit of it, which mainly consisted of rather unconvincing fights in a lush forest setting. The dialogue was also all in Twi, so I couldn't understand any of it, and ALL (DE) could only understand scraps. We also got to experience the Punishment, and Washing, of Gorbo (Borbo?) by some ladies in shorts and bras, supervised by some rather disgusted-looking monks and nuns, or what I assume were such.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
Drejk wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
The bad: I'm using my old 100 Mbps switch at my desk, and it's capping out at 96 Mbps, meaning I need a newer switch. I hate throwing out a $500, 24-port switch, but I have to remind myself I bought it in 2002. It's served its time, and it's no longer up to the tasks I'm demanding of it.

Wait, all that time I had internet faster than you... More than two times faster for the last few years?

I've been living at 53 Mbps for roughly the last 15 years. Even when GothBard's mother moved to our neighborhood and got gigabit internet, it wasn't available to us. So yep. We've been appallingly slow all this time. Couldn't possibly download Freehold levels of porn.

I would have called your cable company myself if you said something sooner.

Noone should be without access to Freehold levels of porn.


You really wonder about people who decide to use corporate email as their own personal soapboxes:
(1) Misuse of company emails is a clearly-defined no-no at every company I've ever worked for, public or private
(2) Adding uninterested parties to a massive email chain clearly falls under the, "You've pushed things too far," banner

For unknown reasons, Global Megacorporation now requires that your paycheck go to a single direct deposit account. I'm sure it has something to do with cost reduction. For similarly-unknown reasons, people are losing their s*** over this new policy. They were making a ton of noise on a Slack channel, which is fine, because I can ignore Slack.

Today they shifted to email. When they didn't get enough traction, they started adding more and more people to the recipient list; presumably co-workers they thought would be sympathetic (I got pulled in at some point). Then they added the CEO.

So yeah, spamming the CEO with emails complaining about corporate policy. That'll go over well.

On the bright side, Global Megacorporation rarely fires anyone with cause. On the down side, spamming over 300 people, including the CEO, with your personal tirades may well cross the line.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not protesting a group of interested people organizing to complain about/change corporate policy. I'm complaining that they're pulling in dozens (if not hundreds) of uninterested people in a spam chain. One email saying, "Hey, we're protesting this new corporate policy. If you're interested in joining us, let us know," would be fine. A dozen unsolicited emails all along the lines of, "Global Megacorporation is The Devil for doing this," isn't.


I don't think that I ever heard of company that would divide paycheck between different accounts—on the other hand I don't think I ever heard of people asking for their paycheck being split between different accounts. Maybe except the situations when the company is subtracting alimony payments for ex-spouses/children according to some sort of court order/settlement.


Direct deposit into different accounts is pretty easy, I used to do that. This into saving that into checking for walking around money


1 person marked this as a favorite.
BigNorseWolf wrote:
Direct deposit into different accounts is pretty easy, I used to do that. This into saving that into checking for walking around money

Oh, it's convenient; I don't doubt that. And as Drejk said, when alimony or child support are involved it may be a legal requirement, but Global Megacorporation will have to make an exception if it is legally ordered to do so by a court.

But in general here's my take:
(1) Global Megacorporation decided to make a major payroll policy change. For a company our size, this isn't cheap. There were meetings, discussions, cost estimates, and all in all this shift must have cost in the millions of dollars. So even though I have no idea what the underlying reasons are, Global Megacorporation didn't do this willy-nilly; they had a solid, concrete, fiscal reason for doing it. Modifying payroll systems is too expensive to justify changing things because you feel like it.

(2) The complaints I'm seeing are bizarre, to say the least. "Without the split, I have to physically walk the money between my two banks." "My bank charges me $3.50 per transfer to transfer money between accounts."
A lot of, "You really need to find a new bank," and not a lot of, "I have a strong justification for needing this."

And before you say, "Well, maybe internationally it's different," I specifically chose these two because they're U.S. workers who seem to have found some of the worst banks in the country...


2 people marked this as a favorite.

And unfortunately, I'm straying from my original point: Global Megacorporation makes me use United Health Care as my health provider. They are terrible, or at least they are for me. I've complained to HR. I've let other people know my opinion.

But I haven't spammed 300+ people, including the CEO, demanding that Global Megacorporation change health care providers. I use the proper channels, ineffective as that is. (Though nowadays whenever UHC denies a claim I just forward the denial to HR and let them deal with it, and they're kind enough to do so, so it's gotten better for me.)


And there we go. Over lunch someone used Reply All to say, "Please remove me from this thread," and the Reply All storm started.

Turned on the Ignore filter and I'll never learn how this saga ends. Somehow I don't think I'll be missing much.

One final bizarre commenter for fun:
One person said she uses 3 banks and each one charges an $11/month fee if she doesn't use direct deposit, so she'll lose $264/year under the new policy. And why doesn't she stick with one bank? Because she doesn't trust banks!

Yeah, if my bank tried to charge me a monthly fee for not having direct deposit I wouldn't trust them either.

EDIT: Full disclaimer: I am a member of the credit union recommended by Global Megacorporation (if you work for Global Megacorporation, you get automatic membership for life). As a member of that credit union, I have no monthly fees and no ATM fees as long as I spend at least $500/month on my debit card. And it's FDIC insured. So if she actually used the benefits offered by Global Megacorporation, she wouldn't be in that bind in the first place.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Oh yeah, I need to figure out the Ignore option for our Reply All storms. Thankfully, it doesn't come up too often.


TriOmegaZero wrote:
Oh yeah, I need to figure out the Ignore option for our Reply All storms. Thankfully, it doesn't come up too often.

I was impressed. In Outlook 365 you click the drop-down arrow next to Delete and there's an "Ignore" option. Someone in the storm pointed it out. I am thankful.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Brilliant. I can only imagine the supreme frustration a dev had suffered to work on implementing that.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Aaaand.... Now NobodysHome's corporate and Google search records include the word "filicide".


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
Aaaand.... Now NobodysHome's corporate and Google search records include the word "filicide".

Are you saying there will be open vacancies in your family soon?


Drejk wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
Aaaand.... Now NobodysHome's corporate and Google search records include the word "filicide".
Are you saying there will be open vacancies in your family soon?

If Impus Major keeps taking the Prius instead of the Celica on Wednesdays, there may well be.

Context:
All of us love driving the Celica... EXCEPT GothBard, who has decided she'd be perfectly happy to never have to drive a stick shift again. Every other Wednesday she drives to Fremont through rush hour traffic, increasing the irritation caused by a stick shift by an order of magnitude.

So Impus Major is welcome to the Prius five days a week, and it's generally better for him because he at least gets over 30 mpg (we have had LONG discussions as to why I get 44 mph to and from DVC and he gets 32 in the same car). On Sundays and Wednesdays the Prius is verboten to him because GothBard wants it for Fremont.

And, being Impus Major, he frequently forgets. GothBard was emphatically reminding him this afternoon, forcing us to look up the term.

The gas mileage thing is funny. I'm a very slow-and-steady driver: Set cruise control at 70, get in a lane, and stay there for the entire trip. I always get 44-54 mpg, depending on the road. GothBard is too impatient for that nonsense, so she does 80 and changes lanes frequently. She still gets 36-37 mpg. So Impus Minor swears he's not breaking 80 (the Prius handles terribly over 80), yet routinely only gets 34 mpg, indicating some uber-aggressive driving. I am trying to dissuade him of this.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

It may not be aggressive driving, but lack of attention.

If he slams on the brakes as he reaches an intersection with a stop sign or a traffic control light, he's wasting a lot of gas.

Watching for clues as you approach an intersection can help you glide to a stop rather than braking. For example, if you see the pedestrian crossing signal switch from "ok to cross" to "don't cross", you know that the vehicle control light is also likely to switch to yellow fairly soon. A simple physics calculation* that includes vehicle speed, traffic flow speed, up/down road inclines, and similar variables can help you coast to a stop.

Same with stop signs. A lot of people don't "see" a stop sign until they're right at the pedestrian crossing. Learning to look far ahead and learning to not accelerate after the middle of a block, especially if there is a yield or stop sign at the end of the block helps gas mileage immensely.

Learning to "not accelerate" can be every bit as much of a fuel-saving technique as learning not to fight with other vehicles/drivers for supremacy.

* How Do Dogs Catch Frisbees


Dancing Wind wrote:

It may not be aggressive driving, but lack of attention.

If he slams on the brakes as he reaches an intersection with a stop sign or a traffic control light, he's wasting a lot of gas.

Watching for clues as you approach an intersection can help you glide to a stop rather than braking. For example, if you see the pedestrian crossing signal switch from "ok to cross" to "don't cross", you know that the vehicle control light is also likely to switch to yellow fairly soon. A simple physics calculation* that includes vehicle speed, traffic flow speed, up/down road inclines, and similar variables can help you coast to a stop.

Same with stop signs. A lot of people don't "see" a stop sign until they're right at the pedestrian crossing. Learning to look far ahead and learning to not accelerate after the middle of a block, especially if there is a yield or stop sign at the end of the block helps gas mileage immensely.

Learning to "not accelerate" can be every bit as much of a fuel-saving technique as learning not to fight with other vehicles/drivers for supremacy.

* How Do Dogs Catch Frisbees

That sounds SOOOOOOO much like him it's scary.

The hardest lesson to teach him when he was learning to drive? "Don't accelerate towards red lights."

He trusted in his brakes and didn't worry about reacting to situations until he absolutely had to.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Dad had no coast mode either. Theres hit the gas, hit the break, and no just let gravity do its thing. It was very rough on the back.

meanwhile at the garage, one of the mechanics pulls me and my partner aside while he's got our car up on the lift

"Which one of you drives like a little old lady?"

I raise my hand. My friend points to me

"Good thing. Cause you see where the back of this car is connected to the frame? No? Because it isn't...."


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
Aaaand.... Now NobodysHome's corporate and Google search records include the word "filicide".

I am now imagining you as a stern Roman paterfamilias - Nemoestdomi.

Sovereign Court

4 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
If Impus Major keeps taking the Prius instead of the Celica

I'm just reminded of that scene in The Dark Knight:

Alfred: Will you be taking the Batmobile sir?

Bruce Wayne: Come on, Alfred, that's not very subtle.

Alfred: The Lamborghini then.


My one trip in the back of a prius. I was lying down (because I couldn't sit up without risking adding a sunroof every time we hit a bump)

The one time i shifted my leg the passenger thought we'd hit something because the car suddenly shifted


2 people marked this as a favorite.
BigNorseWolf wrote:

My one trip in the back of a prius. I was lying down (because I couldn't sit up without risking adding a sunroof every time we hit a bump)

The one time i shifted my leg the passenger thought we'd hit something because the car suddenly shifted

You'd LOVE the Celica, then. I'm 5'6" and my head hits the roof and my knees hit the seat in front of me.

As the salesperson put it, the back seat is there to lower the insurance rates, not for people to actually sit in.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Day 3 of a five day training course. No interaction. Just 8 hours of lecture per day. There are better ways of teaching, and they've been in practice for many, many decades.

I...I'd almost...I'd almost rather spend this week working for my old job.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
BigNorseWolf wrote:

My one trip in the back of a prius. I was lying down (because I couldn't sit up without risking adding a sunroof every time we hit a bump)

The one time i shifted my leg the passenger thought we'd hit something because the car suddenly shifted

You'd LOVE the Celica, then. I'm 5'6" and my head hits the roof and my knees hit the seat in front of me.

As the salesperson put it, the back seat is there to lower the insurance rates, not for people to actually sit in.

I once rode in the back seat of a Mitsubishi 3000GT from Bloomington IL to Rockford IL. I'd rather be in the back seat of the Celica.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I wanted to go get some groceries... Of course it started to rain.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
BigNorseWolf wrote:
Direct deposit into different accounts is pretty easy, I used to do that. This into saving that into checking for walking around money

Oh, it's convenient; I don't doubt that. And as Drejk said, when alimony or child support are involved it may be a legal requirement, but Global Megacorporation will have to make an exception if it is legally ordered to do so by a court.

But in general here's my take:
(1) Global Megacorporation decided to make a major payroll policy change. For a company our size, this isn't cheap. There were meetings, discussions, cost estimates, and all in all this shift must have cost in the millions of dollars. So even though I have no idea what the underlying reasons are, Global Megacorporation didn't do this willy-nilly; they had a solid, concrete, fiscal reason for doing it. Modifying payroll systems is too expensive to justify changing things because you feel like it.

(2) The complaints I'm seeing are bizarre, to say the least. "Without the split, I have to physically walk the money between my two banks." "My bank charges me $3.50 per transfer to transfer money between accounts."
A lot of, "You really need to find a new bank," and not a lot of, "I have a strong justification for needing this."

And before you say, "Well, maybe internationally it's different," I specifically chose these two because they're U.S. workers who seem to have found some of the worst banks in the country...

I haven't heard of a charge for bank transfers in well over 20 years. I stayed working at a bank for a long time because they did direct deposit and did not charge for transfers.


NobodysHome wrote:
BigNorseWolf wrote:

My one trip in the back of a prius. I was lying down (because I couldn't sit up without risking adding a sunroof every time we hit a bump)

The one time i shifted my leg the passenger thought we'd hit something because the car suddenly shifted

You'd LOVE the Celica, then. I'm 5'6" and my head hits the roof and my knees hit the seat in front of me.

As the salesperson put it, the back seat is there to lower the insurance rates, not for people to actually sit in.

...you're shorter than me?

moves up GothBard abscondment plans a skosh, adds nickels and dimes to assortment of coins

It's all coming together...


NobodysHome wrote:

And there we go. Over lunch someone used Reply All to say, "Please remove me from this thread," and the Reply All storm started.

Turned on the Ignore filter and I'll never learn how this saga ends. Somehow I don't think I'll be missing much.

** spoiler omitted **

I see where she is coming from. A lot of distrust for banks leads to people remaining in bad situations. And I am just old enough to remember the extreme distrust for credit unions supported by one's employer. Especially if your account was suddenly hit with fees if you left that company.


I just got around to downloading the audio movie for Elfquest I backed a while ago. I didn't realize it was a personalized copy. It tickled me to hear them say this copy was for a "Freehold Dungeon Master".

I forgot how much I loved Elfquest. It was one of the first comics I ever read, and the first with adult themes. I remember exactly where I was in my elementary school cafeteria when the kid who brought in comics to read brought in Elfquest, Legion of Super Heroes, and a few other assorted comics.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
BigNorseWolf wrote:

My one trip in the back of a prius. I was lying down (because I couldn't sit up without risking adding a sunroof every time we hit a bump)

The one time i shifted my leg the passenger thought we'd hit something because the car suddenly shifted

You'd LOVE the Celica, then. I'm 5'6" and my head hits the roof and my knees hit the seat in front of me.

As the salesperson put it, the back seat is there to lower the insurance rates, not for people to actually sit in.

I once rode in the back seat of a Mitsubishi 3000GT from Bloomington IL to Rockford IL. I'd rather be in the back seat of the Celica.

I need to drive with you again.


Freehold DM wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:

And there we go. Over lunch someone used Reply All to say, "Please remove me from this thread," and the Reply All storm started.

Turned on the Ignore filter and I'll never learn how this saga ends. Somehow I don't think I'll be missing much.

** spoiler omitted **

I see where she is coming from. A lot of distrust for banks leads to people remaining in bad situations. And I am just old enough to remember the extreme distrust for credit unions supported by one's employer. Especially if your account was suddenly hit with fees if you left that company.

Yeah, but it's distressing to see someone with a supposed technical background (she's a senior tech support person here at Global Megacorporation) succumbing to the 'fear culture'. Since the establishment of the FDIC in 1933, as far as I know not a single person has lost their insured investments due to a bank failure. And if the FDIC fails, you don't really have to worry about your investment because it means the U.S. dollar will be essentially worthless.

So unless she was conscious of pre-FDIC bank failures (in which case she'd be at least 96), she cannot have lived through a single bank failure where people lost their investments. Yet she's still convinced that if a bank fails, she'll lose her money. The misinformation runs deep.

EDIT: It's interesting -- I did a bit of Googling about bank failures and the FDIC, and the only site I found describing losing money in spite of having it in an FDIC-insured account was a shady Malaysian bank encouraging Americans to invest their money in offshore accounts. Not exactly a site of reassuring reliability.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:

And there we go. Over lunch someone used Reply All to say, "Please remove me from this thread," and the Reply All storm started.

Turned on the Ignore filter and I'll never learn how this saga ends. Somehow I don't think I'll be missing much.

** spoiler omitted **

I see where she is coming from. A lot of distrust for banks leads to people remaining in bad situations. And I am just old enough to remember the extreme distrust for credit unions supported by one's employer. Especially if your account was suddenly hit with fees if you left that company.

Yeah, but it's distressing to see someone with a supposed technical background (she's a senior tech support person here at Global Megacorporation) succumbing to the 'fear culture'. Since the establishment of the FDIC in 1933, as far as I know not a single person has lost their insured investments due to a bank failure. And if the FDIC fails, you don't really have to worry about your investment because it means the U.S. dollar will be essentially worthless.

So unless she was conscious of pre-FDIC bank failures (in which case she'd be at least 96), she cannot have lived through a single bank failure where people lost their investments. Yet she's still convinced that if a bank fails, she'll lose her money. The misinformation runs deep.

The *only* possible defense I can throw up for her is if she has too much money for FDIC to cover it at a single bank. Other than that I've got nothin'.


Vanykrye wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:

And there we go. Over lunch someone used Reply All to say, "Please remove me from this thread," and the Reply All storm started.

Turned on the Ignore filter and I'll never learn how this saga ends. Somehow I don't think I'll be missing much.

** spoiler omitted **

I see where she is coming from. A lot of distrust for banks leads to people remaining in bad situations. And I am just old enough to remember the extreme distrust for credit unions supported by one's employer. Especially if your account was suddenly hit with fees if you left that company.

Yeah, but it's distressing to see someone with a supposed technical background (she's a senior tech support person here at Global Megacorporation) succumbing to the 'fear culture'. Since the establishment of the FDIC in 1933, as far as I know not a single person has lost their insured investments due to a bank failure. And if the FDIC fails, you don't really have to worry about your investment because it means the U.S. dollar will be essentially worthless.

So unless she was conscious of pre-FDIC bank failures (in which case she'd be at least 96), she cannot have lived through a single bank failure where people lost their investments. Yet she's still convinced that if a bank fails, she'll lose her money. The misinformation runs deep.

The *only* possible defense I can throw up for her is if she has too much money for FDIC to cover it at a single bank. Other than that I've got nothin'.

If you're putting over $250,000 in a bank, you have deeper financial issues than mistrust.

EDIT: I should clarify. Banks always pay interest rates that are lower than inflation. Even during the Carter years when I was getting double-digit interest rates on my CDs, the interest rates were lower than inflation. So you're always losing money. Even worse, all bank interest is fully-taxable as income, so you're losing even more money. There are a multitude of low-to-high risk alternatives that pay better (treasury bonds, mutual funds, stock index funds, individual stocks, etc.). So accumulating massive amounts of wealth in ordinary bank accounts is a great way to lose that wealth.

274,051 to 274,100 of 281,571 << first < prev | 5477 | 5478 | 5479 | 5480 | 5481 | 5482 | 5483 | 5484 | 5485 | 5486 | 5487 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.