Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

268,601 to 268,650 of 282,315 << first < prev | 5368 | 5369 | 5370 | 5371 | 5372 | 5373 | 5374 | 5375 | 5376 | 5377 | 5378 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.

"There's a bunch of cat costumes over here."
"Really?"
"Yeah. They look very jellicle."


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Gotta love Verizon.

"Hi! We auto-opted you in to our data mining program! To opt out, here's some teensy weensy text."

And marketing has never worked harder to make something so terrible sound so great:

"The program uses information about websites you visit and apps you use on your mobile device to help us better understand your interests. This helps us personalize our communications with you, give you more relevant product and service recommendations, and develop plans, services and offers that are more appealing to you."

Yeah, bugger off, Verizon.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

It's also amazing to me just how stupid "classic" management is.

I was feeling a bit tired and under the weather yesterday. I could have stayed at work and slacked off, but, given infinite sick time, I took the afternoon off. Today I feel great, and I'll easily get far more done than had I stayed -- the company is actively benefiting from their generous sick leave policy.

I see it again and again and again.

And yet because some employees abuse the policy, many employers find it legally "safer" and easier implement a "prove you were sick" policy (I'm looking at YOU, Albany Unified School District), which protects the company from slackers... at the cost of abusing their good workers and eroding the critical bond of trust between employer and employee.

We had a person start abusing the infinite leave policy. His manager talked to him. He stopped taking so much leave. Problem solved. WITHOUT banning the rest of us from taking leave.

It's not rocket science; it's common-sense management: Give employees freedom and then discipline the ones who abuse it. The "classic" model sucks.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

To some folks common sense is allot like rocket science, they will just never understand it, or participate in it...


3 people marked this as a favorite.

The "common" sense should be actually called "uncommon" sense. Maybe even rare sense.

Everyone calls their actions "common sense" but they are rarely having any sense. And definitely are lacking in the rational aspect.

Random linguistic fact: Polish expression corresponding to English "common sense" is literally "healthy reason"... It is neither "healthy", nor has a lot to do with "reason", sadly.


NobodysHome wrote:

It's also amazing to me just how stupid "classic" management is.

I was feeling a bit tired and under the weather yesterday. I could have stayed at work and slacked off, but, given infinite sick time, I took the afternoon off. Today I feel great, and I'll easily get far more done than had I stayed -- the company is actively benefiting from their generous sick leave policy.

I see it again and again and again.

And yet because some employees abuse the policy, many employers find it legally "safer" and easier implement a "prove you were sick" policy (I'm looking at YOU, Albany Unified School District), which protects the company from slackers... at the cost of abusing their good workers and eroding the critical bond of trust between employer and employee.

We had a person start abusing the infinite leave policy. His manager talked to him. He stopped taking so much leave. Problem solved. WITHOUT banning the rest of us from taking leave.

It's not rocket science; it's common-sense management: Give employees freedom and then discipline the ones who abuse it. The "classic" model sucks.

Back in mid-October I took my first 'sick' day since April 2020 from ye olde Retaile 'Sweatshoppe'.

Manager kept trying to pull the "Are you sure? We do SO MUCH for you!!" card and my response was "I'm REALLY not feeling well and out of an abundance of caution for my higher than normal temperature I'm not going to risk anyone else's health."

Unspoken: My current manager is in their 70's, so the subtext is I'm watching out for THEIR health.

Additional Subtext: Said manager had been 'short'-scheduling the weekends, and outright lied to me about coverage for the day, so the idea of being BY MYSELF and not feeling well at all was a big NOPE!

EDIT: Further backstory: I'd requested a day off earlier in the week because I'd worked six days in a row while a manager was on vacation and I was exhausted, and that day was not granted. As a result, that paid day off I'd requested is now part of the 'mad dash' to get all the time off done by the 31st.


9 people marked this as a favorite.

College kid: You need help loading up?

Me: Yes! Grab the lasers!

College kid: Did you say lasers?!

Me: Yes, grab all of them!

College kid: Wait.. Are you building a bar or inciting an intergalactic war?!

Me: I'll start with the bar and see where the day takes me!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Cap, you have laser stone cutters....I am in the wrong business!

Going to be sad if that is just laser measuring devices....still, it sounds super hilarious to say.


Hello, everyone.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

I hate people for any number of reasons. Today's reason is as follows: County Animal shelter is a small facility (12 runs) and is a kill shelter. Fine. Well, not fine, but it is what it is. Rural community, limited resources, they do what they can.

Facility has a fire. Runs limited. Dogs are being kept in the crates on the animal control vehicles because there is not room in the shelter.

Parallel fact: animal abandonment always goes up around the holidays/end of year. This year no exception for this county.

County has to announce that all animals are code red from the moment they are onboarded because of limits on facilities.

Now - riddle me this - if you know that abandoning your pet is a death sentence...what makes you choose to abandon your pet in this environment? Are you too lazy/cheap to euthanize your pet yourself? Why dump your dog in this county when you know it is just going to be euthanized?

End of today's reason that I hate people.


NobodysHome wrote:

It's also amazing to me just how stupid "classic" management is.

I was feeling a bit tired and under the weather yesterday. I could have stayed at work and slacked off, but, given infinite sick time, I took the afternoon off. Today I feel great, and I'll easily get far more done than had I stayed -- the company is actively benefiting from their generous sick leave policy.

I see it again and again and again.

And yet because some employees abuse the policy, many employers find it legally "safer" and easier implement a "prove you were sick" policy (I'm looking at YOU, Albany Unified School District), which protects the company from slackers... at the cost of abusing their good workers and eroding the critical bond of trust between employer and employee.

We had a person start abusing the infinite leave policy. His manager talked to him. He stopped taking so much leave. Problem solved. WITHOUT banning the rest of us from taking leave.

It's not rocket science; it's common-sense management: Give employees freedom and then discipline the ones who abuse it. The "classic" model sucks.

Common sense is an awful idea. It has its roots in some questionable aspects of intercultural interaction, and in modern day implies a group think that is heading towards near-telepathic consensus even in areas of highly specialized knowledge.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Wait... We need reasons to hate people?!

<.<

>.>

Eh, there is plenty of those anyway...


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Nylarthotep wrote:

I hate people for any number of reasons. Today's reason is as follows: County Animal shelter is a small facility (12 runs) and is a kill shelter. Fine. Well, not fine, but it is what it is. Rural community, limited resources, they do what they can.

Facility has a fire. Runs limited. Dogs are being kept in the crates on the animal control vehicles because there is not room in the shelter.

Parallel fact: animal abandonment always goes up around the holidays/end of year. This year no exception for this county.

County has to announce that all animals are code red from the moment they are onboarded because of limits on facilities.

Now - riddle me this - if you know that abandoning your pet is a death sentence...what makes you choose to abandon your pet in this environment? Are you too lazy/cheap to euthanize your pet yourself? Why dump your dog in this county when you know it is just going to be euthanized?

End of today's reason that I hate people.

At least around here euthanizing your pet yourself is INCREDIBLY illegal. It's one of those things that most people wouldn't try to do themselves but those that do get caught in some form of animal cruelty pretty quickly.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I am part of a cat rescue group, self funded. There are many such groups for cats, dogs, and many other types of pets. People that abandon their pets or give them to kill shelters are...not my sort of people.

That said, I am proud to have found loving forever homes for 80+ felines that we have fostered (and that is just my wife and I, there are other members, so we have saved likely several thousand felines in total over the years between all memebers). It is not really that hard to find such orgs, people often choose not to, and that IMO is cruel, and speaks to the kind of people they are. Bit of a...personal topic for me.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hey there John!

Liberty's Edge

Yuck, discussion on the topic of the ethical treatment or existence of pets.

There is very little in this world that makes me feel more uncomfortable than the mere idea of pets and knowing how/why/where they are bred for nearly the sole purpose of entertainment.


Themetricsystem wrote:

Yuck, discussion on the topic of the ethical treatment or existence of pets.

There is very little in this world that makes me feel more uncomfortable than the mere idea of pets and knowing how/why/where they are bred for nearly the sole purpose of entertainment.

Our feline over-lady views US as her pets, so mileage, vary, etc.

EDIT: Zoey is a shelter rescue, and was rescued at the same rough time as we were graced with a little ray of feline Sunshine from a neighbor who had rescued her from a 'kitten mill'.

Shortly after that, my aunt passed, and we indirectly ended up being the forever home for Gracie.

A month or two after we attained Gracie, Sunshine left our lives due to an unknown respiratory condition sadly yet fortunately swift with minimal suffering and then when the pandemic hit we lost Gracie within a month not as swift, still sad loss of family.

Zoey is still with us, and she misses the other two as much as we do.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Yep, quite sure our cats believe (and are likely right) that we belong to them, as feeding crew, cleaning crew, and petting stations.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
GM_Beernorg wrote:

I am part of a cat rescue group, self funded. There are many such groups for cats, dogs, and many other types of pets. People that abandon their pets or give them to kill shelters are...not my sort of people.

That said, I am proud to have found loving forever homes for 80+ felines that we have fostered (and that is just my wife and I, there are other members, so we have saved likely several thousand felines in total over the years between all memebers). It is not really that hard to find such orgs, people often choose not to, and that IMO is cruel, and speaks to the kind of people they are. Bit of a...personal topic for me.

Wife is active with a dog rescue group, which is part of why I know the contents of the original post, but they are strained for resources at moment and not able to digest 20 dogs this week. Happy to do more virtue signaling if needed.

Also, as a sad aside, many are pit mixes, which for better or worse, are less adoptable.


GM_Beernorg wrote:

Cap, you have laser stone cutters....I am in the wrong business!

Going to be sad if that is just laser measuring devices....still, it sounds super hilarious to say.

I wish! No, the lasers are for making sure the holes for the legs of the bar are all the same grade.


captain yesterday wrote:
GM_Beernorg wrote:

Cap, you have laser stone cutters....I am in the wrong business!

Going to be sad if that is just laser measuring devices....still, it sounds super hilarious to say.

I wish! No, the lasers are for making sure the holes for the legs of the bar are all the same grade.

Dang it, a man can dream though...


3 people marked this as a favorite.
GM_Beernorg wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:
GM_Beernorg wrote:

Cap, you have laser stone cutters....I am in the wrong business!

Going to be sad if that is just laser measuring devices....still, it sounds super hilarious to say.

I wish! No, the lasers are for making sure the holes for the legs of the bar are all the same grade.
Dang it, a man can dream though...

Yeah, but I get a flame thrower for drying pavers when it gets cold out, so it all balances out.


Guessing the new guys don't get to use the flame thrower...


GM_Beernorg wrote:
Guessing the new guys don't get to use the flame thrower...

It depends, about half the people at work (and all the other lead foremen) are currently firefighters or retired firefighters so you'd be surprised how many people are trained to use flame throwers.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

That makes sense. Only thing I would use a flame thrower for at my job would be to melt and destroy my work PC, buzzing, freezing, lagging little bugger has it coming...it is like 13 years old, that is like over 120 in computer years, glorious death by fire...


7 people marked this as a favorite.

Okay, WW got himself a temporary gig, a long-term substitute job at one of the local high schools that will start Jan 4th and run through the end of May. It won't pay much--his take-home will be about the same as what he was making on unemployment--but at least we'll be able to start paying Miz Daisy rent again, so I can hold my head up.
In the meantime, he's going to keep applying for better jobs outside of the school district, and has promised he'll give notice if he gets offered a full-time job. And we just have to hope that happens before the end of May.
If he's willing to keep flipping crepes for his friend's farmer's market stall on Saturday mornings, that would be good, too, because it pays slightly better than the substitute teaching.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:

Okay, WW got himself a temporary gig, a long-term substitute job at one of the local high schools that will start Jan 4th and run through the end of May. It won't pay much--his take-home will be about the same as what he was making on unemployment--but at least we'll be able to start paying Miz Daisy rent again, so I can hold my head up.

In the meantime, he's going to keep applying for better jobs outside of the school district, and has promised he'll give notice if he gets offered a full-time job. And we just have to hope that happens before the end of May.
If he's willing to keep flipping crepes for his friend's farmer's market stall on Saturday mornings, that would be good, too, because it pays slightly better than the substitute teaching.

And that really says it all, doesn't it?


About to go home. Good night, everyone.


John Napier 698 wrote:
About to go home. Good night, everyone.

Good night, John. Take care.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Apparently I've developed a reputation in the industry for being a "crazy bastard" for my willingness and exuberance for working as late into the year as I possibly can.

I keep telling people I'm not crazy just dead inside, but I guess no one believes that when you say it super cheerful and smile.

Also, in years past, our layoff date was based entirely on when coworker pitches a fit and says we can't work any further. This year I'm the Lead lead foreman so it's all up to me. Unfortunately for him I've been listening to him threatening to quit every winter for the last 16 years so I've become desensitized to it.


NobodysHome wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:

Okay, WW got himself a temporary gig, a long-term substitute job at one of the local high schools that will start Jan 4th and run through the end of May. It won't pay much--his take-home will be about the same as what he was making on unemployment--but at least we'll be able to start paying Miz Daisy rent again, so I can hold my head up.

In the meantime, he's going to keep applying for better jobs outside of the school district, and has promised he'll give notice if he gets offered a full-time job. And we just have to hope that happens before the end of May.
If he's willing to keep flipping crepes for his friend's farmer's market stall on Saturday mornings, that would be good, too, because it pays slightly better than the substitute teaching.
And that really says it all, doesn't it?

Before the pandemic, I toyed with the idea of going to school and becoming a teacher.

When I ran the numbers, the pay would have been lower than the retail gig...

EDIT: And that is before one factors in that they do not deduct/pay-in for Social Security in our state.


And now the new antivirus patches are downloading...

Lets hope I won't have to go through rather hard and painful system reboot like it was during the initial installation.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

LAST DAY OF SCHOOOOOOL!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:

Okay, WW got himself a temporary gig, a long-term substitute job at one of the local high schools that will start Jan 4th and run through the end of May. It won't pay much--his take-home will be about the same as what he was making on unemployment--but at least we'll be able to start paying Miz Daisy rent again, so I can hold my head up.

In the meantime, he's going to keep applying for better jobs outside of the school district, and has promised he'll give notice if he gets offered a full-time job. And we just have to hope that happens before the end of May.
If he's willing to keep flipping crepes for his friend's farmer's market stall on Saturday mornings, that would be good, too, because it pays slightly better than the substitute teaching.

Some good news at last. Still praying things get even better.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:
LAST DAY OF SCHOOOOOOL!

They ARE getting even better!


And here's an interesting hardware question:

Our neighbor wanted to install a new internal hard drive. He asked me for the necessary SATA and power cables. Nothing worked for a while, then I finally got the clue when I plugged one of my own drives into the power cable and smoke started pouring out of it.

Shiro insists that it's the power cable -- there's no standard, so it's perfectly possible that a power cable for an Antec power supply would have different pins than a power cable for a Corsair power supply, so my cable was at fault.

I have two issues with this:
(1) Both the power supply and the cable were Corsair. It might not have been for the exact same power supply, but I don't see one company varying its cables between power supplies. It would be inefficient and dangerous.

(2) The pins on a SATA cable aren't robust; if the voltage was high enough to be lighting hard drives on fire, I should have melted the pins after burning out the first drive, protecting the second drive.

Opinions?


8 people marked this as a favorite.

And if you want to feel young (or at least younger than NobodysHome), today is GothBard and my 34th anniversary of being together. (Took us 7 years to get married, so this is the date we celebrate.)


NobodysHome wrote:

And here's an interesting hardware question:

Our neighbor wanted to install a new internal hard drive. He asked me for the necessary SATA and power cables. Nothing worked for a while, then I finally got the clue when I plugged one of my own drives into the power cable and smoke started pouring out of it.

Shiro insists that it's the power cable -- there's no standard, so it's perfectly possible that a power cable for an Antec power supply would have different pins than a power cable for a Corsair power supply, so my cable was at fault.

I have two issues with this:
(1) Both the power supply and the cable were Corsair. It might not have been for the exact same power supply, but I don't see one company varying its cables between power supplies. It would be inefficient and dangerous.

(2) The pins on a SATA cable aren't robust; if the voltage was high enough to be lighting hard drives on fire, I should have melted the pins after burning out the first drive, protecting the second drive.

Opinions?

I'll reply more when I'm not on my phone. Yes, it could be the cable, but not for the reasons Shiro is saying.


NobodysHome wrote:

And if you want to feel young (or at least younger than NobodysHome), today is GothBard and my 34th anniversary of being together. (Took us 7 years to get married, so this is the date we celebrate.)

Big congrats.


Aye, happy anniversary GothBard and NH! Only 13 years married for the wife and I, together since 2003, got married in 08. Thanks, I do feel younger now LoL.

You crazy kids should go out for delicious food and a show or some such!


3 people marked this as a favorite.

The landscape season is officially wrapped up!

Now it's boulder carving season!


I sense that is a favorite season of yours there Cap


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Any season where I get to keep working is my favorite season.

Honestly, I'm greatly prefer summer, but I also like having four seasons so I try to find things I can do in the winter to keep active between snow runs because otherwise I'm just sitting at home and unfortunately I get a bit like Hal from Malcolm in the Middle mixed with Bart Simpson if left to my own devices.

A couple of examples.

I once spent all winter moving the furniture an inch to the left every week so by the end of the year everything was an inch to the right of where I started.

Another winter i ended up with marble mazes crisscrossing the living room six to eight feet high.


How do you like spending your last week before a two-week break?

If you're anything like Global Megacorporation, the answer is, "With 7:00 am meetings!"

Our development team scheduled 6 solid days of 7-9 am meetings to tell everyone about next year's roadmap. Greatly appreciated, but... 12 hours of roadmap calls? Really?

Then I got:
Monday: 7-8 am team meeting, 8-9 am security meeting
Tuesday: 7-7:30 am demo team meeting
Wednesday: 7-8 am tools research meeting
Thursday: 7-7:30 am production meeting, 7:30 - 9:00 am all-hands meeting

So yes, I'm scheduled for 15.5 hours of meetings this week, all of which are from 7-9 am. Meaning I'm watching a lot of recordings.

On the bright side, as I told my manager, if I've done 15.5 hours of required meetings and another 4.5 hours of reviewing other people's requests and resolving their issues, she shouldn't be surprised if my production is significantly down this week...

Liberty's Edge

Weeelllllll, my daughter's preschool teacher contacted us and unsurprisingly the class has at least one confirmed case of Covid amongst her classmates. Class is canceled completely until early-mid Jan.

Since she is still too young for the vaccine we're going to keep an eye on her and probably schedule tests for the whole family so we can actually, you know, PLAN for the holidays ahead of us.

My disappointment is immense but I was expecting this to happen sooner or later given where we live. :(


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

And if you want to feel young (or at least younger than NobodysHome), today is GothBard and my 34th anniversary of being together. (Took us 7 years to get married, so this is the date we celebrate.)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO


NobodysHome wrote:

And here's an interesting hardware question:

Our neighbor wanted to install a new internal hard drive. He asked me for the necessary SATA and power cables. Nothing worked for a while, then I finally got the clue when I plugged one of my own drives into the power cable and smoke started pouring out of it.

Shiro insists that it's the power cable -- there's no standard, so it's perfectly possible that a power cable for an Antec power supply would have different pins than a power cable for a Corsair power supply, so my cable was at fault.

I have two issues with this:
(1) Both the power supply and the cable were Corsair. It might not have been for the exact same power supply, but I don't see one company varying its cables between power supplies. It would be inefficient and dangerous.

(2) The pins on a SATA cable aren't robust; if the voltage was high enough to be lighting hard drives on fire, I should have melted the pins after burning out the first drive, protecting the second drive.

Opinions?

Based on my rudimentary knowledge of electricity and what I literally just learned in class yesterday, it sounds like the current is too much for the cable to handle. Depending on the wattage the cable WAS supposed to go to, that would be the problem right there. You probably wouldnt use the same wire for a 600w power supply as a 900w one.

Its either that or the cooling inside since the ambient temperature can also change what the wires can handle.


Scavion wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:

And here's an interesting hardware question:

Our neighbor wanted to install a new internal hard drive. He asked me for the necessary SATA and power cables. Nothing worked for a while, then I finally got the clue when I plugged one of my own drives into the power cable and smoke started pouring out of it.

Shiro insists that it's the power cable -- there's no standard, so it's perfectly possible that a power cable for an Antec power supply would have different pins than a power cable for a Corsair power supply, so my cable was at fault.

I have two issues with this:
(1) Both the power supply and the cable were Corsair. It might not have been for the exact same power supply, but I don't see one company varying its cables between power supplies. It would be inefficient and dangerous.

(2) The pins on a SATA cable aren't robust; if the voltage was high enough to be lighting hard drives on fire, I should have melted the pins after burning out the first drive, protecting the second drive.

Opinions?

Based on my rudimentary knowledge of electricity and what I literally just learned in class yesterday, it sounds like the current is too much for the cable to handle. Depending on the wattage the cable WAS supposed to go to, that would be the problem right there. You probably wouldnt use the same wire for a 600w power supply as a 900w one.

Its either that or the cooling inside since the ambient temperature can also change what the wires can handle.

I'm afraid that no, it's not the current-carrying capacity of the cable. The power supply has 6-pin plugins for SATA drives. SATA drives use 4-pin power. The voltages on those pins are supposed to be set to fairly tight constraints (good power supplies are within 1%).

So it's not, "How much current could the cable handle?", it's, "Which voltages were on which pins?"

A 3.5" hard drive takes 12V for the motor and 5V for the logic. So, if the pins got reversed and you were sending 12V to the logic board, it would be carrying 2.4x the current it was designed for, and would very likely get the smoke I was seeing. Cables are designed with such huge tolerances that 2.4x current wouldn't bother it in the least. For example, the cable I was using was designed to support 4 drives, so it could carry at least 4x the current of a single drive.

EDIT: So that's my overall question: Would two different-brand power supplies have interchangeable connector cables with different pinning? Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen, so seems more likely a short/defect in the power supply. Waiting for Vanykrye's more detailed explanation, because our big concern is bad power supply (bad) vs. mis-pinned cable (annoying, but harmless).


OK. Speaking of enraged about the school district, Impus Minor just asked whether he could cut school for the rest of the week.

Why?

Because all but one of his teachers gave finals during dead week.

Because somehow yeah, ignoring published schedules and rearranging finals to suit your convenience is what's done these days.


@NobodysHome:
What's your take on this particular issue of Tech Jobs and Pay Transparency?

268,601 to 268,650 of 282,315 << first < prev | 5368 | 5369 | 5370 | 5371 | 5372 | 5373 | 5374 | 5375 | 5376 | 5377 | 5378 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.