Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

243,051 to 243,100 of 249,077 << first < prev | 4857 | 4858 | 4859 | 4860 | 4861 | 4862 | 4863 | 4864 | 4865 | 4866 | 4867 | next > last >>

3 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
Woran wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
Which is 100% the reason every time someone tells me that teachers only work 9 months a year I am sorely tempted to punch them in the face. I have resisted... so far...
Go for it. All other teachers will feel the psychick release
Apparently Freehold is planning to murder me, so I'm in hiding...

And eat you. Probably to consume your brain and take your math skills for himself.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
GM Wageslave wrote:


My personal experience with 'random' encounters is that they aren't.

By that I mean I incorporate the encounters I want to run to help move the narrative without railroading the players to the end goal as best as possible.

If that only means none, one, or two different encounters for a given day, sobeit.

It's not about the amount of grind, it's about the fun play experience and telling a neat story.

Of course, when I'm running I tend to go with 'milestone' type leveling -- it helps cut down on all the math considerably and seems a great deal more 'fluid' and 'reasonable' for the entire party versus one player getting more exp than someone else because they did good on a side-job or whatnot.

The *moment* we learned about leveling points we started using them, and we've never looked back.

We would have ignored WBL entirely as well, but then Carrion Crown came along. Being a 10th level fighter with a total wealth of 7000 gp is no fun at all!

Automatic bonus progression - instead of having items grant you all those +1 to +5, you get them at certain levels as a part of leveling to match the expected numbers that were used in CR calculations. Items only grant fun abilities instead of borrring bonuses.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I have been wanting to try ABP myself. I don't know if my group will take to it or not.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

We've been using ABP. It makes surviving a lot easier if you're playing at a mid/high level, and helps to make magical loot a bit more interesting/exciting.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hey Limey, ever had an experience at a restaurant like Rhod Gilbert describes here?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Hey all you fools, it is the month of April!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Sharoth wrote:
Hey all you fools, it is the month of April!

Yeah, like I'm gonna fall for that. You gotta try harder than that to get me.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Sharoth wrote:
Hey all you fools, it is the month of April!
Yeah, like I'm gonna fall for that. You gotta try harder than that to get me.

Huh? It is not April already? Did someone unplug and then replug in 2020? Does that mean we are starting the year over?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

WAIT wait wait! What that an option?!??!?!?!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Oh yes. It is an option.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Ok, so we are January Fools. I can handle that.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

NOOO!!! You can't reboot 202! I was... I mean, the world was experiencing so much chaos! It was wonderful!


4 people marked this as a favorite.

We do need to reinstall 2020. This version has a nasty virus in it.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

And bugs. Don't forget them.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Evil Overlord wrote:
NOOO!!! You can't reboot 202! I was... I mean, the world was experiencing so much chaos! It was wonderful!

Doom however approves of rebooting. Doom wishes to rule the world not watch it burn.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dr. Doommaster7 wrote:
Evil Overlord wrote:
NOOO!!! You can't reboot 202! I was... I mean, the world was experiencing so much chaos! It was wonderful!
Doom however approves of rebooting. Doom wishes to rule the world not watch it burn.

NOOO!!! Watching the world burn is almost as much fun as burning it!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Sharoth doesn't break out his aliases often enough.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Darth Draconis wrote:
Dr. Doommaster7 wrote:
Evil Overlord wrote:
NOOO!!! You can't reboot 202! I was... I mean, the world was experiencing so much chaos! It was wonderful!
Doom however approves of rebooting. Doom wishes to rule the world not watch it burn.
NOOO!!! Watching the world burn is almost as much fun as burning it!

But...but I was told the end was nigh... =(


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Vidmaster7 wrote:
I don't know why but for some reason I was thinking captain didn't care for 2nd edition initially. I think I might be thinking of someone else now tho.

I go back and forth, so I'm sure you're remembering it right.

I'm the weirdo that likes all three Paizo RPGs.

Some stuff I dislike in 2nd edition. I find weapon proficiency way more confusing than it needs to be, and I'm still trying to wrap my mind around general feat/skill feat stuff and treasure still confuses me.

I love how combat has more of a rhythm and I LOVE what they've done with animal companions and familiars and I LOVE how interchangeable and customizable classes and archetypes are (for example, Tiny T-Rex wanted to make a Spider-Man type character, so he started out a Monk and at 2nd level took the sorcerer dedication archetype feat which allows him to cast sorcerer cantrips where he picked Tanglefoot (shoot out a sticky vine to tangle people (easy enough to say it looks like webs) and since cantrips scale as you go and you can cast them all you want in a day, he'll be tangling people up all damn day. And then, as he gets up in level he'll be able to get web and spider climb).


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
GM Wageslave wrote:


My personal experience with 'random' encounters is that they aren't.

By that I mean I incorporate the encounters I want to run to help move the narrative without railroading the players to the end goal as best as possible.

If that only means none, one, or two different encounters for a given day, sobeit.

It's not about the amount of grind, it's about the fun play experience and telling a neat story.

Of course, when I'm running I tend to go with 'milestone' type leveling -- it helps cut down on all the math considerably and seems a great deal more 'fluid' and 'reasonable' for the entire party versus one player getting more exp than someone else because they did good on a side-job or whatnot.

The *moment* we learned about leveling points we started using them, and we've never looked back.

We would have ignored WBL entirely as well, but then Carrion Crown came along. Being a 10th level fighter with a total wealth of 7000 gp is no fun at all!

wealth by level is absolute twinked out munchkin nonsense given form. My hatred for it is considerable.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Freehold DM wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
GM Wageslave wrote:


My personal experience with 'random' encounters is that they aren't.

By that I mean I incorporate the encounters I want to run to help move the narrative without railroading the players to the end goal as best as possible.

If that only means none, one, or two different encounters for a given day, sobeit.

It's not about the amount of grind, it's about the fun play experience and telling a neat story.

Of course, when I'm running I tend to go with 'milestone' type leveling -- it helps cut down on all the math considerably and seems a great deal more 'fluid' and 'reasonable' for the entire party versus one player getting more exp than someone else because they did good on a side-job or whatnot.

The *moment* we learned about leveling points we started using them, and we've never looked back.

We would have ignored WBL entirely as well, but then Carrion Crown came along. Being a 10th level fighter with a total wealth of 7000 gp is no fun at all!

wealth by level is absolute twinked out munchkin nonsense given form. My hatred for it is considerable.

They fixed that in 2nd edition too!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Drejk wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
Woran wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
Which is 100% the reason every time someone tells me that teachers only work 9 months a year I am sorely tempted to punch them in the face. I have resisted... so far...
Go for it. All other teachers will feel the psychick release
Apparently Freehold is planning to murder me, so I'm in hiding...
And eat you. Probably to consume your brain and take your math skills for himself.

absolute nonsense!

buys more barbeque sauce


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Drejk wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:

Aaaand... all but one of Impus Minor's teachers said, "Teaching online is too hard! We need another week!"

His math teacher ran class today... and spent the 45 minutes talking about how sore his back was.

I am unimpressed with my local high school's response so far, to say the least.

EDIT: For reference, for every in-class hour I spent teaching math, it was 1 hour to prepare the lecture, 2 hours to grade homework, and 1 hour of office hours. But I just don't see how preparing an online lecture is *so* much harder than preparing an in-person lecture. The conferencing software even provides for "breakout groups" where you can have students work in groups together and drop in on them...

Have they been taught how to do online lectures? You are so used to operating online that you ignore a lot of factors that are issue for someone not used to it.

You complained on the schools failure to move online quickly but it is much harder to do without being trained how to do first, without everyone being prepared for it before.

You are taking for granted a lot of things on the students' side as well.

Remember, those are people who did not signed for online teaching in the first place - on both sides of the screen. Has the school gave everyone the right computer set? The right connection? Enough computers for all children at home while the parents might or might not work online themselves?

Here is an blogpost that points a lot of issues involved with online teaching from three weeks ago.

The blog is written from the point of view of a college teacher rather than a high school teacher, and many of the things being talked about are non-factors, for example:

- The school provided Chromebooks free of charge to any students who did not have access to computers. Albany's also one of those rich districts that subsidizes at-home high-speed network access for all its students
- The students are high school students, so the notion that their lives are now disrupted because they have to work more hours (as a doctor or nurse) or provide child care doesn't apply
- And I'll fundamentally disagree about the difficulty of setting up a Zoom conference. From Day 1 the school's choir teacher has been holding Zoom sessions every other day for her 70 kids. And because it's choir, she happens to have quite a few of the learning disabled/financially challenged students, yet they're all managing to attend her course.

I'm not looking for a beautiful web-based training course with animations, online tests, and the like. I'm looking for, "Hold a Zoom session twice a week to touch bases with your students," and the teachers aren't even managing that.

EDIT: Yes, I found the author's flippant, "It's a pandemic, don't even try to do your job," attitude extremely grating. I don't like seeing a pandemic being treated as an excuse for an extended paid vacation. You're being paid to do a job. See what you can do to do it. People who say, "Well, this doesn't match my exact job description so I don't have to do it," are a major pet peeve of mine.
Yes. It's a pandemic. Do what you can to help. Don't throw up your hands and say, "Well, my job isn't important so I'm not going to do it any more."

EDIT 2: And yes, I'm rather passionate about it, because I've watched DVC do everything right and Albany do everything wrong. The blog author is correct: There's a significant psychological impact from such a complete disruption of life. DVC's answer? Start online classes immediately, but don't assign any work. So Impus Major got to get together with his classmates in a friendly environment with his teachers, and they said, "OK, let's try these chat room thingies. Can anyone hear me?" And it was a week of social interacting, getting used to the technology, and seeing whether it could work. And all the time Impus Major was in social contact with all his classmates and they were all learning the technology together and helping each other out.
Albany's teachers, on the other hand, just said, "Yeah, holding classes is just too hard," and they're just assigning weekly homework packets and offering help by email. No social interaction at all. And Impus Minor is obviously getting lonely.

HUGE difference.


6 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

On this date, ten years ago, I bought the Pathfinder Core Rulebook (with a 50% off one book coupon that had expired that day but the cashier let me use anyway).


6 people marked this as a favorite.

OK. Holy carp.

I may give Global Megacorporation all kinds of crap for having massively incompetent middle management, but when push comes to shove, they're really pretty darned good.

First was the whole, "We're losing employees in droves. Let's poll them and find out what's wrong and actually try to fix it" initiative.

Then there was that meeting with the whole, "If you're collecting customer data without a valid business reason, we will fire you" meeting.

Now I just got an email from the CEO saying, "A LOT of you have been asking whether Global Megacorporation has been doing anything to help fight the coronavirus. Well, OK, we've been quiet about it, but here are the tens of millions of dollars in critical services we've been offering to national governments to help them out."

I'm honestly proud of the company I work for right now.

I think my brain may be breaking.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
I'm not looking for a beautiful web-based training course with animations, online tests, and the like. I'm looking for, "Hold a Zoom session twice a week to touch bases with your students," and the teachers aren't even managing that.

That sounds fair on the surface, but after the inordinate amount of hoops I had to jump through just to work from home part time(in office today), I think there is more to it than you suspect. You would swear I was stealing a child, not borrowing a 6 year old laptop.

Quote:

EDIT: Yes, I found the author's flippant, "It's a pandemic, don't even try to do your job," attitude extremely grating. I don't like seeing a pandemic being treated as an excuse for an extended paid vacation. You're being paid to do a job. See what you can do to do it. People who say, "Well, this doesn't match my exact job description so I don't have to do it," are a major pet peeve of mine.

Yes. It's a pandemic. Do what you can to help. Don't throw up your hands and say, "Well, my job isn't important so I'm not going to do it any more."

People here can be sued in addition to fired for stepping out of their job description. Moreover there is a rising level of resentment that vital employees have towards not so vital ones, and I think that will come to a head when this is over.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
I'm not looking for a beautiful web-based training course with animations, online tests, and the like. I'm looking for, "Hold a Zoom session twice a week to touch bases with your students," and the teachers aren't even managing that.

That sounds fair on the surface, but after the inordinate amount of hoops I had to jump through just to work from home part time(in office today), I think there is more to it than you suspect. You would swear I was stealing a child, not borrowing a 6 year old laptop.

Quote:

EDIT: Yes, I found the author's flippant, "It's a pandemic, don't even try to do your job," attitude extremely grating. I don't like seeing a pandemic being treated as an excuse for an extended paid vacation. You're being paid to do a job. See what you can do to do it. People who say, "Well, this doesn't match my exact job description so I don't have to do it," are a major pet peeve of mine.

Yes. It's a pandemic. Do what you can to help. Don't throw up your hands and say, "Well, my job isn't important so I'm not going to do it any more."
People here can be sued in addition to fired for stepping out of their job description. Moreover there is a rising level of resentment that vital employees have towards not so vital ones, and I think that will come to a head when this is over.

I think the difference is that this is a field I was in for years (1991-1999) and even back then I had access to provide online learning to my students if I so chose. Yes, I left teaching because of clashes with the administration, but none of them were about providing extra services to the students. I understand that many areas are overregulated to the point of stupid (I was delivering training at a secure facility and I wasn't allowed to move an easel from one side of the room to the other; I had to file a request so a union-appointed worker could do it). But being on the "inside" in the school district (in touch with several teachers), they're not being restricted by the district.

EDIT: Final note and then work calls. I consider the 2-week hiatus absolutely fair: I doubt the school had a site license for massive conferencing software (why would a high school need such a thing?), so the administration was scrambling to get licensing sorted out, make sure all the teachers and students had at least Chromebooks and 1 Mbps connections, etc., etc. So the two weeks was a necessary shutdown.
This week would be fine as an "experimentation" phase. I have no issues that Impus Minor's math teacher simply ran a session and talked about his sore back and otherwise socialized with his kids, just so everyone could test/get used to the technology. But Impus Minor's other four teachers simply decided that running any session at all was beyond them and took an extra two weeks (next week is Spring Break).
THAT is what I find "lacking".


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Yup, Deadpool is definitely my favorite superhero movie.


5 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
Drejk wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:

Aaaand... all but one of Impus Minor's teachers said, "Teaching online is too hard! We need another week!"

His math teacher ran class today... and spent the 45 minutes talking about how sore his back was.

I am unimpressed with my local high school's response so far, to say the least.

EDIT: For reference, for every in-class hour I spent teaching math, it was 1 hour to prepare the lecture, 2 hours to grade homework, and 1 hour of office hours. But I just don't see how preparing an online lecture is *so* much harder than preparing an in-person lecture. The conferencing software even provides for "breakout groups" where you can have students work in groups together and drop in on them...

Have they been taught how to do online lectures? You are so used to operating online that you ignore a lot of factors that are issue for someone not used to it.

You complained on the schools failure to move online quickly but it is much harder to do without being trained how to do first, without everyone being prepared for it before.

You are taking for granted a lot of things on the students' side as well.

Remember, those are people who did not signed for online teaching in the first place - on both sides of the screen. Has the school gave everyone the right computer set? The right connection? Enough computers for all children at home while the parents might or might not work online themselves?

Here is an blogpost that points a lot of issues involved with online teaching from three weeks ago.

The blog is written from the point of view of a college teacher rather than a high school teacher, and many of the things being talked about are non-factors, for example:

- The school provided Chromebooks free of charge to any students who did not have access to computers. Albany's also one of those rich districts that subsidizes at-home high-speed network access...

I'm sorry. Albany has no excuse.

The school I work for is small and well-funded, sure. But Montessorians are practically cave-dwellers when it comes to technology, insisting it will steal your soul, so don't let your kids touch it.

But when we got word we would have to close our doors? The first thing the director and the leadership team did was start us off with a "paradigm shift" meeting where we talked about how, like it or not, this was our reality, and we could continue to try to educate students, or not, and if we we were committed, we were going to jolly well make the best of it. So they gave all the faculty tutorials in how to teach online, we made home learning boxes with necessary materials for parents to pick up, gave the kids a second week of spring break while we worked on our schedules and adapted our lesson plans, and we're doing our damnedest. Even the gym teachers are giving online lessons twice a week, and I've watched both my kids doing calisthenics on the back porch over Google Meet and running laps around the back yard.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
...

I'm sorry. Albany has no excuse.

The school I work for is small and well-funded, sure. But Montessorians are practically cave-dwellers when it comes to technology, insisting it will steal your soul, so don't let your kids touch it.

But when we got word we would have to close our doors? The first thing the director and the leadership team did was start us off with a "paradigm shift" meeting where we talked about how, like it or not, this was our reality, and we could continue to try to educate students, or not, and if we we were committed, we were going to jolly well make the best of it. So they gave all the faculty tutorials in how to teach online, we made home learning boxes with necessary materials for parents to pick up, gave the kids a second week of spring break while we worked on our schedules and adapted our lesson plans, and we're doing our damnedest. Even the gym teachers are giving online lessons twice a week, and I've watched both my kids doing calisthenics on the back porch over Google Meet and running laps around the back yard.

I'm sorry. Impus Major holding his guitar up to his laptop's webcam is still my favorite image so far...


5 people marked this as a favorite.

Woooow...

Remember when Pokemon Go came out, and it was a catastrophe because it collapsed under the unexpected weight of the millions of users, and I mentioned Global Megacorporation could have provided that backbone?

Have you noticed a lack of news about Zoom collapsing?
I just learned whose backbone they're using.

Yep. Still proud.

(And yeah, we provide the backbone; we're not involved in what they do with it, so the data thievery Zoom is accused of isn't us, other than tangentially.)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Are there statistics about how many students are skipping class in the remote learning world? What does this do to federal funding which is dependent on attendance?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Nylarthotep wrote:
Are there statistics about how many students are skipping class in the remote learning world? What does this do to federal funding which is dependent on attendance?

At the moment, in California, it's catastrophic. Federal funding is only 2% of the school budget, so it's relatively irrelevant. But California's rule is "butts in the seat". You aren't paid for students who are not in class, whether due to illness, field trips, medical appointments, or state emergencies.

So as far as I know the school is losing thousands of dollars a day for not having students in class. But I suspect Governor Newsome is working on some kind of one-time exception to how schools are funded.

But as Shiro pointed out, states that pay "per pupil per year" instead of "per pupil per period attended" tend to be MUCH better with disease outbreaks and disasters.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
Woran wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:


Yeah, we had some really bad ones where we wondered how they managed to tie their shoes in the morning, but they were in the vast minority.

For these people I always assume they have shoes with velcro.
HEY! I like my velcro shoes! shakes fist

Man! You guys use velcro!

(Mine are slip-ons.)

((Yes, even the velcro.))


5 people marked this as a favorite.

This meeting is probably the first-ever time I've been proud of my company.

We're giving away tens of millions of dollars of software for free. We're spending millions to let employees work from home. And our official directive is now, "This is not a marketing opportunity. This is a 'going the extra mile for our customers' opportunity."

Yeah, I'm sure they know that at the end of the crisis the massive goodwill we're generating will make up for all those losses, but holy carp we're doing the right thing and then some.

Go, Global Megacorporation!


3 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

So, I've always had a LOT of respect for high school teachers. Their dedication. The number of hours they put in in a week. Their low pay. The sheer amount of administrative **** they have to put up with.

Yeah, we had some really bad ones where we wondered how they managed to tie their shoes in the morning, but they were in the vast minority.

But well into Week 2 of the shutdown, we have:
Impus Major at DVC: All his classes and lectures are running normally using conferencing software; even his guitar lessons. (And yes, I loved watching him sit in front of his laptop, and when it was his turn holding his guitar up in front of the camera so the instructor could watch him play and give him tips.)
He's working just as hard as he was before, if not harder, and it's all going perfectly smoothly.

Impus Minor: Isn't having any lectures because the teachers can't figure out the conferencing software nor schedule the classes. Isn't getting more than one homework packet per teacher per week because the teachers can't figure out how to post their homework online. And the school district has a full Google Classroom license.
The school board had a meeting last night to discuss shutting down lessons entirely because the online learning is such a complete failure.

I can see it for elementary and middle school kids; I simply cannot imagine them having the attention span and dedication to watch/work with their teachers online. But having watched the high school kids for many years now, I'm really surprised at just how little the teachers are trying to do with them online.

My Eldest is doing the whole "remote learning" internet thing, but they're limiting the actual in-person participation time and have scheduled a short, "hey, everybody!" time before the teacher (with warning) mutes it and gets into the actual business of classes. With kids this young getting it, I would hoooooope slightly older kids could get organized, but that sort of thing isn't a smoothly increasing curve, despite what parents would like, so.

(My Youngest is also doing remove learning... but it's just me teaching him going through various educational papers with very little context to go by. I'm not insane! YOU'RE INSANE~! NYAHAHAHAHAHA- is spelled with the letter "n-" no, that's an "m" -yes, an "n", gooooood, right, now a "y-" yea-yes, you can use a different color, that's fine, right, good job! That's a "y" letter! Then an "Aaa-" no! That's not an "a"~! What goes here? Oh, silly. No, okay, so let's write an "a" - yes an "a-" no, not like that, no, I need you to look here. Look here. This paper. It's right. Here. This-. This-pap- yes, uh-huh, yes, that's a bunny in the back ya- no, wai, no, I just can we just, I we're one letter, okay, you can have a GoGo Squeeze, because you said, 'please.' Sssssssiiiiiiiiiigggggggghhhhhhhhh.)


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Sharoth wrote:
OTOH the reverse is true for The Rising of the Shield Hero. IMHO the anime is much better than the LN series.

I... liked the show more than I thought, given the premise. I don't like everything, but it was relatively well-handled and even though it relies on the absolute tropiest of tropes possible (fall into a book, fall into a game, fall into a different-more-advanced-game, fall into whatever that other one was) it uses them to ask the question: "why did this happen" and it gives it a little hint of the sense that this is relevant.

It then proceeds to ignore all of this of course, but it still has solid and interesting character progression.

Of course, it helps that I often (but not always) liked the hero's mores and choices. From the beginning his temperance and relative humility or adaptability, his enthusiasm and innocence were actually really solid. He went through his "dark" phase and it was... uncomfortable for any number of reasons, but it was well-handled and broadly reasonable: though he was in a dark place and doing dark things, he never actually lost his original morality (he just worked really hard at pretending he did), and even the people who turned on him (with two exceptions) actually made sense in how they did so.

Yes, people were holding the idiot-ball sometimes, but it wasn't that big of an idiot-ball they held, and it generally worked within the context of the character and everything they actually knew.

Though the primary antagonists were... never as well explained as I felt they could (or even should) be, and a few things were left a bit confusing, over all it made enough sense, and about as much sense to the audience as it would to the Shield Hero himself.

It was not a perfect series. I didn't like everything. But I liked a lot of it enough, and I felt that most everyone was reasonable, and most of the time when they weren't it was due to just kind of becoming ever-more-entrenched (reasonably so) from their initial viewpoint.

Scarab Sages

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
Woran wrote:

Developed some mild pressure high in my chest. But since my eyes have been giving me hell all day, its probably just allergies. *fingers crossed*

Did get a bit of an elevated temperature during the night and day, and the sore throat has gotten a bit worse.

If it makes you feel better, I've been feeling physically "off" yesterday and today: feeling overheated (but definitely not running a fever), kinda pre-headache-y tension, semi-stuffed nose, sore throat, and right side of my tongue hurts. All of this can be easily explained by my lack of sleep, my allergies, my usual elevated anxiety in general, and my missing meals (just forgetful). But my brain keeps going to COVID-19, which makes me worry about my unavoidable daily interactions with Dad and accidentally infecting him.

I really hope you are OK, Woran. :)

I'm currently having a bit of pressure/almost pain in the top part of my chest, but my eyes are still gummy. So I'm just hoping its plant sex messing me up.

Sore throat hasnt gotten worse but hasnt gotten better.

And with the sheer amounts of stress Ive had and am having, it can easily make minor symptoms of a sore throat worse.

So I'm going to keep taking deep breaths...


Sharoth wrote:

As cute as the anime was, it doesn't hold a candle to the light novel series of Didn't I Say To Make My Abilities Average In The Next Life?!

So I'm a Spider, So What? is also pretty good.

Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest is also a case of the LN being better than the anime, but the final episode of season one was pretty good and I LOVE the opening theme.

Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody is another example.

Might have to look into these!

I... could not get into Didn't I Say To Make My Abilities Average In The Next Life?! - I can't say what, exactly, it was, but for whatever reason I just... wasn't able to do it. It seemed fine, just never gripped me like some of the others.


Woran wrote:
So I'm going to keep taking deep breaths...

Hey. That's what we have to do in life.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:
Our Florida office closed.

Ugh, the Florida jokes, I mean every time-

Vanykrye wrote:
They were 99% remote anyway, and the few people that were in that satellite office just picked up their equipment and took it home. We have no IT personnel that are even living in Florida to help, but again, they were basically already set up for this very situation due to hurricane prep.

Oh! That's actually quite a nice thing to say! You know, I think we really should all be nicer about states, and maybe realize that you can't lump everyone together under a single monolith, no matter what sort of trends (or stereotypes based on them) might say-

Vanykrye wrote:

Our Virginia office is just now starting to think about sending people home. There's no on-site IT there either.

I dread where this one might be going.

HAW-HAW, LOOKIT THE VUR-JIN-IYANS, WHAT A LUUUZER STATE FUR LUUUZERZ

PLEASE be aware how much of a joke this is. A few mild acquaintances uh, my sisters were born in Virginia. So I kind of like it! (even if it is some weird color yellow on the state map in my head; oh, well, it's favorable to the weird orange of W-VA - I say without being self-conscious, despite the fact that my birth state is simultaneous a low-grade orange and highly-blue'd purple... you, uh... you all have states automatically associated with colors that you judge them off of, too, right, just like numbers? Yes? Nnnno? O-of course you do. I'M NOT WEIRD YOURE WEIRD (no, I'm weird)


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Woran wrote:
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
Woran wrote:

Developed some mild pressure high in my chest. But since my eyes have been giving me hell all day, its probably just allergies. *fingers crossed*

Did get a bit of an elevated temperature during the night and day, and the sore throat has gotten a bit worse.

If it makes you feel better, I've been feeling physically "off" yesterday and today: feeling overheated (but definitely not running a fever), kinda pre-headache-y tension, semi-stuffed nose, sore throat, and right side of my tongue hurts. All of this can be easily explained by my lack of sleep, my allergies, my usual elevated anxiety in general, and my missing meals (just forgetful). But my brain keeps going to COVID-19, which makes me worry about my unavoidable daily interactions with Dad and accidentally infecting him.

I really hope you are OK, Woran. :)

I'm currently having a bit of pressure/almost pain in the top part of my chest, but my eyes are still gummy. So I'm just hoping its plant sex messing me up.

Sore throat hasnt gotten worse but hasnt gotten better.

And with the sheer amounts of stress Ive had and am having, it can easily make minor symptoms of a sore throat worse.

So I'm going to keep taking deep breaths...

crashes through wall a la Kool Aid Man

Someone said sex?


Scintillae wrote:
Cheap-ass desk of pain is assembled. I will no longer have to video conference with kids from my couch with the incredibly professional TARDIS throw.

NO TARDIS THRO- I mean, oh, really?

I, uh, I can't attend conferences by video, now, I'm afraid. For, uh, some reason.

Probably Covid "cough-cough" I wouldn't want to infect you all, so...

Scarab Sages

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber
Tacticslion wrote:
Woran wrote:
So I'm going to keep taking deep breaths...
Hey. That's what we have to do in life.

And play animal crossing


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Spoiler:
Vagrant EruDad wrote:

I got a job to reply.

It's a terrible job that pays garbage, but can start me next week.

If I weren't a reaponsible father I'd say f*+@ em.

I spent all night filling out paperwork instead to make sure I got this s*%$ty job ASAP.

See...this is why I wanted to remain an irresponsible single dude so long. No regrets, but it's funny to know I was right.

*hugs* - doin' whatcha gotta, my dude. And that's good!

(John's advice is solid and important as well.)

Also, you might not be able to - and that's totally okay - but if you can do anything to elevate your job space, make it a better place for yourself and others, and - just as importantly - you can do so in a way that doesn't alienate you or those around you (or entirely exhaust your will to do, like, anything at all), then go for it!

Not only will it help you, but your employer may become a solid reference in the future.

But, again, this is important: take care of yourself, regardless of what your job is. Not to the point of harming others, of course, but in general, no matter your job, you need to keep yourself in good health and in a good state - mentally and physically (which is the entire point of making your job space better, if possible; hence, if it's too draining or would alienate others, don't).

Support from afar, and prayers for you and your family!

EDIT: this post is exactly why you should catch up before responding to things. Non-relevant statements hidden, but not removed, so that everyone can see I did a dumb. The last line is still true, though!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:
I actually made it through an entire day without feeling like there was an invisible hand constantly choking me (which is how my anxiety attacks usually manifest).

Hurray, you're not Subaru!

(F-... he... it's from the anime Re:Zero...)

Okay, yes, okay, it was his heart, right, I get it, but still, come on, guys, let me have this one reference-

i never get to reference that show *kicks pebble as he sulks away

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Tacticslion wrote:
Sharoth wrote:

As cute as the anime was, it doesn't hold a candle to the light novel series of Didn't I Say To Make My Abilities Average In The Next Life?!

So I'm a Spider, So What? is also pretty good.

Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest is also a case of the LN being better than the anime, but the final episode of season one was pretty good and I LOVE the opening theme.

Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody is another example.

Might have to look into these!

I... could not get into Didn't I Say To Make My Abilities Average In The Next Life?! - I can't say what, exactly, it was, but for whatever reason I just... wasn't able to do it. It seemed fine, just never gripped me like some of the others.

Honestly none of those really grabbed me either. Not that I gave them a chance. Maybe once I get through the rest of our backlog.

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:
I actually made it through an entire day without feeling like there was an invisible hand constantly choking me (which is how my anxiety attacks usually manifest).

Hurray, you're not Subaru!

(F-... he... it's from the anime Re:Zero...)

Okay, yes, okay, it was his heart, right, I get it, but still, come on, guys, let me have this one reference-

i never get to reference that show *kicks pebble as he sulks away

Immediately after we finished watching the latest DC ep, Cyz and our friends were talking about the Magnus Archives, leading to this exchange.

Phylotus: If I'm guilty of one deadly sin, it's sloth
TOZ: My brain trembles...
Cyzzane: Stop that.


Dan, Halfling Mime Lawyer wrote:
into the unknown.

Oh, no.

No.

Nonono.

Nononononononononononono, no, wait, my BRaIn, i SaID, WAIT, HE dIdN'T AcTuALLY LINK OOR SINNNNG IIIITT HEE'S A MIME, NO, I SAID WWWW-WWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT-

-aw, dang it, okay, I can listen to it a few dozen hundred more times i guesssssss (since I'm going to anyway)

EDIT: my brain trrrembles...~!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
TOZ wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:
I actually made it through an entire day without feeling like there was an invisible hand constantly choking me (which is how my anxiety attacks usually manifest).

Hurray, you're not Subaru!

(F-... he... it's from the anime Re:Zero...)

Okay, yes, okay, it was his heart, right, I get it, but still, come on, guys, let me have this one reference-

i never get to reference that show *kicks pebble as he sulks away

Immediately after we finished watching the latest DC ep, Cyz and our friends were talking about the Magnus Archives, leading to this exchange.

Phylotus: If I'm guilty of one deadly sin, it's sloth
TOZ: My brain trembles...
Cyzzane: Stop that.

This makes me so very happy. :D

243,051 to 243,100 of 249,077 << first < prev | 4857 | 4858 | 4859 | 4860 | 4861 | 4862 | 4863 | 4864 | 4865 | 4866 | 4867 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.