Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

234,151 to 234,200 of 247,002 << first < prev | 4679 | 4680 | 4681 | 4682 | 4683 | 4684 | 4685 | 4686 | 4687 | 4688 | 4689 | next > last >>

2 people marked this as a favorite.

As an only child I have strange, extreme experiences with board games.

I loved mouse trap and liked operation. But that's about it. Video games are more my speed.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Of course I play video games naked. Who doesn't?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
Of course I play video games naked. Who doesn't?

*raises hand*


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Pinched nerves suck.


Orthos wrote:
Pinched nerves suck.

Oof. I'm sorry, my dude. Hope you can find a way to fix it.

Grand Lodge

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

I greatly enjoy games where its the players against the board and everything is horribly stacked against you.

Arkham/Eldritch Horror (as long as we have the day blocked off for it), Kingdom Death (your survivors will die, get used to it), Pandemic (boy do those outbreaks suck), Hanabi (you're out of clues, sacrifice a tile, hope it's not a 5!).


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Pinched nerves suck.
Oof. I'm sorry, my dude. Hope you can find a way to fix it.

The good thing about having a family member who's a physical therapist is that we have lots of stuff for dealing with this kind of thing just lying around the house.

So I spent some time tonight on a traction board which helped, other than not being able to get up at first when I was done with it. Then a hot shower, and now a neck brace and a heating pad. So far so good, or at least as good as can be expected given the circumstances.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Get better soon Orthos!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Get well soon, Orthos.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

About to clock out and go home. Good night, everyone.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Have a good night John!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Molecular control of neurotransmitter linked to autism described


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Anyone want to recommend me a fantasy novel? I've finished WoT, and I can't seem to pull the trigger on a new book.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

William D Arand's books were enjoyable. Michael Chatfield's Emerilia and Ten Realms series were excellent. Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. Anne McCaffrey's Pern series. Jan Stryvant's The Valens Legacy series. Dennis Taylor's Bobverse series (Scifi not fantasy, but still enjoyable). And last but not least, Dave Willmarth's The Greystone Chronicles. Almost all of these are more recent series. I also suggest any of Piers Anthony's series.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Having said that, there are many more books in my library. I will see if anything else catches my eyes that I might suggest.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Tequila Sunrise wrote:
Anyone want to recommend me a fantasy novel? I've finished WoT, and I can't seem to pull the trigger on a new book.

Have you read any of Steven Brust's books?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Limeylongears wrote:
Tequila Sunrise wrote:
Anyone want to recommend me a fantasy novel? I've finished WoT, and I can't seem to pull the trigger on a new book.
Have you read any of Steven Brust's books?

I would have recommended them but I have yet to get to reading them yet. Having said that, I have heard lots of good things about that series.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Tequila Sunrise wrote:
Anyone want to recommend me a fantasy novel? I've finished WoT, and I can't seem to pull the trigger on a new book.

The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett.

Not great in of itself, but the Discworld series altogether is amazeballs.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Hooray! It's Friday! And I have nothing, NOTHING scheduled for this weekend!

Except my house is a pigsty that desperately needs cleaning, and I have to write all my progress narratives for parent-teacher conferences by Monday, and figure out a non-wearable, non-edible birthday gift for Eve, and my family will expect to game on Sunday, so I have to prep.

So, plenty of relaxing!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Tequila Sunrise wrote:
Anyone want to recommend me a fantasy novel? I've finished WoT, and I can't seem to pull the trigger on a new book.

Have you ever read all of Foundation?

I keep meaning to.
The problem is, I accidentally bought the fifth and final book at a garage sale when I was a kid and read it, and ever since, I've been unable to start it properly from the beginning.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Orthos wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Of course I play video games naked. Who doesn't?
*raises hand*

well.

Someone's not getting as much out of their jrpgs as they could.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Tequila Sunrise wrote:
Anyone want to recommend me a fantasy novel? I've finished WoT, and I can't seem to pull the trigger on a new book.

A Spell For Chameleon.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

The Sapphire Rose series and the Belgariad series.


Freehold DM wrote:
A Spell For Chameleon.

I love that prestige class!


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

What I learned working with our red shirt (they got all the new guys red shirts so it's quite literal): The smell of tobacco and red bull DO NOT go together, at all.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:
What I learned working with our red shirt (they got all the new guys red shirts so it's quite literal): The smell of tobacco and red bull DO NOT go together, at all.

but these are macho manly men, singing macho manly songs!


3 people marked this as a favorite.

NobodysHome's Old Man Gripe of the Day: Application updates that add shortcuts to your desktop.

Seriously. "I installed you and I chose not to put a shortcut on my desktop. So now you're updating and you've decided in your infinite wisdom that I need one? Whyyyyyyyyy?"

OK. I'm a tad obsessive-compulsive. My work laptop has only 6 icons on the desktop. I like a tidy desktop. So when programs update themselves and add shortcuts to my desktop without so much as a "by your leave" I get uppity.


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:
What I learned working with our red shirt (they got all the new guys red shirts so it's quite literal): The smell of tobacco and red bull DO NOT go together, at all.
but these are macho manly men, singing macho manly songs!

Ah likes trucks 'n' boots 'n' hats 'n' boobs 'n' guns 'n' whisky too,

I smokes mah smokes at the tractor pull,
Ah punches the drywall and ah drinks Red Bull,
Ah ain't got no shame at the football game with mah beer gut on display,
Watchin' sweaty men grapplin' with a big leather ball, Gahd bless you, USA!

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
NobodysHome wrote:

NobodysHome's Old Man Gripe of the Day: Application updates that add shortcuts to your desktop.

Seriously. "I installed you and I chose not to put a shortcut on my desktop. So now you're updating and you've decided in your infinite wisdom that I need one? Whyyyyyyyyy?"

OK. I'm a tad obsessive-compulsive. My work laptop has only 6 icons on the desktop. I like a tidy desktop. So when programs update themselves and add shortcuts to my desktop without so much as a "by your leave" I get uppity.

I too am an old man and hate this. I prefer a desktop with NO icons.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
TriOmegaZero wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:

NobodysHome's Old Man Gripe of the Day: Application updates that add shortcuts to your desktop.

Seriously. "I installed you and I chose not to put a shortcut on my desktop. So now you're updating and you've decided in your infinite wisdom that I need one? Whyyyyyyyyy?"

OK. I'm a tad obsessive-compulsive. My work laptop has only 6 icons on the desktop. I like a tidy desktop. So when programs update themselves and add shortcuts to my desktop without so much as a "by your leave" I get uppity.

I too am an old man and hate this. I prefer a desktop with NO icons.

how am I going to enjoy my lecherous backdrops if there are bunch of icons in the way?!?

Actually, I have no lecherous backdrops. At work my backdrop is the not so comfy princess squad from wreck it Ralph 2. At the second job its pinkie pie themed. My phone theme is hello kitty. The gaming laptop has no background, it is used for gaming. The now silent desktop doesn't have a background, as it was used for watching things. I really need to see what's going on there, as I want my sound back.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Chuck Chick and Jack Tingle wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:
What I learned working with our red shirt (they got all the new guys red shirts so it's quite literal): The smell of tobacco and red bull DO NOT go together, at all.
but these are macho manly men, singing macho manly songs!

Ah likes trucks 'n' boots 'n' hats 'n' boobs 'n' guns 'n' whisky too,

I smokes mah smokes at the tractor pull,
Ah punches the drywall and ah drinks Red Bull,
Ah ain't got no shame at the football game with mah beer gut on display,
Watchin' sweaty men grapplin' with a big leather ball, Gahd bless you, USA!

That is... just... brilliant...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

So, Wednesday was cloudy so I don't think it counts, but it *did* mark the first day my solar didn't produce more than I used. But the sun's back out and I'm still running a surplus. I expect my end-of-year PG&E "bill" to be a pleasant surprise, but at only $0.03/kWh for surplus, I don't expect it to be that pleasant.

Kind of like a _________ that does ____________.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

When I remote into a certain lawyer's laptop I always have to have a conversation with him. I always needle him and tell him that he's going to lose it all. I always remind him that he's our resident HIPAA expert and his insistence on doing this makes him one of the biggest security risks in the company. Icons arranged to a grid, with every available grid slot taken by *something* on his desktop. I nearly have an anxiety attack every time I see it.

Because it's not shortcuts.

It's the actual documents.

On his local hard drive, on his desktop.

And it's a laptop that he takes with him...and has been known to leave on a commercial plane...more than once...


3 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

So, Wednesday was cloudy so I don't think it counts, but it *did* mark the first day my solar didn't produce more than I used. But the sun's back out and I'm still running a surplus. I expect my end-of-year PG&E "bill" to be a pleasant surprise, but at only $0.03/kWh for surplus, I don't expect it to be that pleasant.

Kind of like a _________ that does ____________.

Fill in the blanks, eh? I'm gonna go with "banana-hammock" and "chartered accountancy".


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Is this match game? I always thought NH would be a good game show host.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
Is this match game? I always thought NH would be a good game show host.

(1) I dress the part

(2) I like to give stuff away
(3) I am loud and cheerful and have no fear of public speaking

PERFECT!!!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Limeylongears wrote:
Have you read any of Steven Brust's books?

I have not; any titles you recommend in particular?

lisamarlene wrote:

Have you ever read all of Foundation?

I keep meaning to.
The problem is, I accidentally bought the fifth and final book at a garage sale when I was a kid and read it, and ever since, I've been unable to start it properly from the beginning.

I read one or two of them long ago. I remember liking them, but I don't remember much about them...


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm not sure if this is a career height or nadir, but out of boredom of citing the same books over and over again, I used the PHB for sample text for citation formatting notes.

So we'll see how that goes over.


7 people marked this as a favorite.
Tequila Sunrise wrote:
Anyone want to recommend me a fantasy novel? I've finished WoT, and I can't seem to pull the trigger on a new book.

cracks knuckles

Mistborn - Brandon Sanderson. Part rebels vs. the evil empire, part heist. Fantastic magic system. Kelsier is an excellent social rogue. First of a trilogy. Also has a distant sequel trilogy.

Elantris - Brandon Sanderson. The crown prince is mysteriously taken by the curse of an ancient city just before his betrothed arrives in the country.

Storm Front - Jim Butcher. Urban fantasy, first in a lengthy series. Very sarcastic sense of humor. Series improves greatly around the 3rd book, but this one introduces the main characters.

Furies of Calderon - Jim Butcher. Roman-influenced fantasy world where everyone except the protagonist has control over elemental creatures called furies. First of 6.

Sabriel - Garth Nix. White necromancer has to take up her father's job and save the world when an ancient undead creature awakens. First in a series (I think a fourth was recently published as well as a prequel).

Reaper Man - Terry Pratchett. It's Discworld and one of the better Death books. I'd recommend Hogfather as well, but it helps to be familiar with Death beforehand.

Going Postal - Terry Pratchett. A more standalone Discworld story. A con man is sentenced to fixing the post office.

The Curse of Chalion - Lois McMaster Bujold. An escaped prisoner of war returns home and finds himself in the midst of an attempt to break a curse on the royal family before their line is eradicated. First in a loosely-connected trilogy.

Promise of Blood - Brian Mclellan. A revolution removes the tyrannical king...violating an ancient pact with the gods. Gun magic. First of a trilogy.


7 people marked this as a favorite.

Impus Minor is reading Lord of the Flies. He was really looking forward to it, because he likes dark fiction. But now he's going nuts.
"They're ALL jerks! I want them all to die!"
"They're SO stupid! How could they grow up and not know how to do xxx?"

Yes, he has lots of Tracker's Camp experience and a few years of camping and backpacking, so he may be a little biased against those who don't even know wilderness basics.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Is this match game? I always thought NH would be a good game show host.

(1) I dress the part

(2) I like to give stuff away
(3) I am loud and cheerful and have no fear of public speaking

PERFECT!!!

PLEASE tell me GothBard and Lisamarlene will be spokesmodels.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:
Tequila Sunrise wrote:
Anyone want to recommend me a fantasy novel? I've finished WoT, and I can't seem to pull the trigger on a new book.

cracks knuckles

Mistborn - Brandon Sanderson. Part rebels vs. the evil empire, part heist. Fantastic magic system. Kelsier is an excellent social rogue. First of a trilogy. Also has a distant sequel trilogy.

Elantris - Brandon Sanderson. The crown prince is mysteriously taken by the curse of an ancient city just before his betrothed arrives in the country.

Storm Front - Jim Butcher. Urban fantasy, first in a lengthy series. Very sarcastic sense of humor. Series improves greatly around the 3rd book, but this one introduces the main characters.

Furies of Calderon - Jim Butcher. Roman-influenced fantasy world where everyone except the protagonist has control over elemental creatures called furies. First of 6.

Sabriel - Garth Nix. White necromancer has to take up her father's job and save the world when an ancient undead creature awakens. First in a series (I think a fourth was recently published as well as a prequel).

Reaper Man - Terry Pratchett. It's Discworld and one of the better Death books. I'd recommend Hogfather as well, but it helps to be familiar with Death beforehand.

Going Postal - Terry Pratchett. A more standalone Discworld story. A con man is sentenced to fixing the post office.

The Curse of Chalion - Lois McMaster Bujold. An escaped prisoner of war returns home and finds himself in the midst of an attempt to break a curse on the royal family before their line is eradicated. First in a loosely-connected trilogy.

Promise of Blood - Brian Mclellan. A revolution removes the tyrannical king...violating an ancient pact with the gods. Gun magic. First of a trilogy.

MISTBOOOOOOOOOOOOOORN


6 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

Impus Minor is reading Lord of the Flies. He was really looking forward to it, because he likes dark fiction. But now he's going nuts.

"They're ALL jerks! I want them all to die!"
"They're SO stupid! How could they grow up and not know how to do xxx?"

Yes, he has lots of Tracker's Camp experience and a few years of camping and backpacking, so he may be a little biased against those who don't even know wilderness basics.

My homeroom latched onto LotF pretty hard. To the point where if I step out of the room for 15 seconds for copies, I come back to find one of them writing KILL THE PIG over and over again on the board as they casually discuss which of them they're going to eat.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:

When I remote into a certain lawyer's laptop I always have to have a conversation with him. I always needle him and tell him that he's going to lose it all. I always remind him that he's our resident HIPAA expert and his insistence on doing this makes him one of the biggest security risks in the company. Icons arranged to a grid, with every available grid slot taken by *something* on his desktop. I nearly have an anxiety attack every time I see it.

Because it's not shortcuts.

It's the actual documents.

On his local hard drive, on his desktop.

And it's a laptop that he takes with him...and has been known to leave on a commercial plane...more than once...

*googles HIPAA*

Is that health info of the company employees on his desktop?

Well, in EU losing that kind of info would cause enormous legal troubles (and fines) for the company and possibly criminal charges...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

No, he doesn't have that kind of information. What I'm saying is he's the head lawyer and the top non-IT compliance guy for the division - he should know better than to have a bunch of documents on his local computer, which is never backed up (few companies actually back up PC drives - just save the files on a server or other network location instead and they'll back that up), and a computer that routinely leaves the office. And is forgotten in random places.

The biggest risk to a company is someone having physical access to a device. He makes it stupidly easy.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:
Tequila Sunrise wrote:
Anyone want to recommend me a fantasy novel? I've finished WoT, and I can't seem to pull the trigger on a new book.

cracks knuckles

Mistborn - Brandon Sanderson. Part rebels vs. the evil empire, part heist. Fantastic magic system. Kelsier is an excellent social rogue. First of a trilogy. Also has a distant sequel trilogy.

Elantris - Brandon Sanderson. The crown prince is mysteriously taken by the curse of an ancient city just before his betrothed arrives in the country.

Storm Front - Jim Butcher. Urban fantasy, first in a lengthy series. Very sarcastic sense of humor. Series improves greatly around the 3rd book, but this one introduces the main characters.

Furies of Calderon - Jim Butcher. Roman-influenced fantasy world where everyone except the protagonist has control over elemental creatures called furies. First of 6.

Sabriel - Garth Nix. White necromancer has to take up her father's job and save the world when an ancient undead creature awakens. First in a series (I think a fourth was recently published as well as a prequel).

Reaper Man - Terry Pratchett. It's Discworld and one of the better Death books. I'd recommend Hogfather as well, but it helps to be familiar with Death beforehand.

Going Postal - Terry Pratchett. A more standalone Discworld story. A con man is sentenced to fixing the post office.

The Curse of Chalion - Lois McMaster Bujold. An escaped prisoner of war returns home and finds himself in the midst of an attempt to break a curse on the royal family before their line is eradicated. First in a loosely-connected trilogy.

Promise of Blood - Brian Mclellan. A revolution removes the tyrannical king...violating an ancient pact with the gods. Gun magic. First of a trilogy.

I'll add the Alex Verus series from Benedict Jacka. It's definitely in the same vein as Butcher's Dresden Files, but the character is far more subtle in his approach, because he *has* to be.


6 people marked this as a favorite.

You've got to be kidding me. I just got invited to a meeting that starts in 7 minutes and is scheduled for 6 hours.

I hate this job.

Grand Lodge

8 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

What the hell can you talk about for six hours that is more important than actually working those six hours?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hello, everyone.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Am I immature for including an example that simply reads "That" (She). with the rest of my citation notes?

234,151 to 234,200 of 247,002 << first < prev | 4679 | 4680 | 4681 | 4682 | 4683 | 4684 | 4685 | 4686 | 4687 | 4688 | 4689 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.