Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

233,801 to 233,850 of 247,057 << first < prev | 4672 | 4673 | 4674 | 4675 | 4676 | 4677 | 4678 | 4679 | 4680 | 4681 | 4682 | next > last >>

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:

Thanks all for the hugs, everyone. :)

** spoiler omitted **...

So, you're saying if I drink an extra glass of milk, then I'll be able to kill Wade?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:

Thanks all for the hugs, everyone. :)

** spoiler omitted **...

Congrats!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Captain Wolverine wrote:
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:

Thanks all for the hugs, everyone. :)

** spoiler omitted **...

So, you're saying if I drink an extra glass of milk, then I'll be able to kill Wade?

What the f&$*, man!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Heir to the Empire - Chapter 1

Heir to the Empire - Chapter 2


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Captain Wolverine wrote:
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:

Thanks all for the hugs, everyone. :)

** spoiler omitted **...

So, you're saying if I drink an extra glass of milk, then I'll be able to kill Wade?

yes.

Please.

Kill him.

In the face.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

About to clock out. Have a good weekend, everyone.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Do I have to come home from Seattle? Can’t I just stay here?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Amazon is confusing me. I ordered 4 items the other day. They said they would arrive in 3 packages, 2 on Thursday (yesterday) and 1 on Friday (today). 1 arrived on Thursday, 1 arrived on Friday, and the other one that was supposed to arrive on Thursday now says that it is "Delayed" and will arrive "Between the 12th and 15th". This is after the tracking page showed it as "Out for Delivery" on both Thursday and Friday. I don't know what's happening, I just want my stuff, and I'm really glad it wasn't anything I was in a hurry for.

Also, I don't know if this matters, but all the items were being sold by Amazon, not marketplace sellers, and it was all Prime shipping.

Edit: I just got an update, and my package is now apparently somewhere up near Chicago. And it was supposedly in town Thursday morning. WTF?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I thought I had won the argument with my wife over how the furniture should be arranged, but when I got home the tables had turned.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

There are two types of people:
1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

We're below freezing for the first time this fall.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Plants flag in the middle of FaWtL.

Haha!

Scarab Sages

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber

Even though Cap Yesterday doesnt like simming, I would still like to propose the FaWtL swimming event, so we can see how everyone swims/floats.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

That's going to be a definitive pass for me.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Woran wrote:
Even though Cap Yesterday doesnt like simming, I would still like to propose the FaWtL swimming event, so we can see how everyone swims/floats.

Let's do it.

Shall we just go backwards and forwards across the North Sea, or do we have to meet the Americans halfway in the middle of the Atlantic?


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Cap'n Yesterday, FaWtL Party wrote:

Plants flag in the middle of FaWtL.

Haha!

Oh crap, a cunning use of flags!


3 people marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:
That's going to be a definitive pass for me.

but cap. You get to see me in a swimsuit.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:
That's going to be a definitive pass for me.
but cap. You get to see me in a swimsuit.

I dread to think how does Freehold's swimsuit looks like...


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Spandex is everybody's freind.

In other news, I am on the horns of a Dilemma (CR10)

Should I buy the greatsword?

On the one hand, Iam trying to save money, and also want to avoid buying anything on credit.

On the other hand... it's a greatsword...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Limeylongears wrote:
Spandex is everybody's freind.

Hrm...

Limeylongears wrote:
In other news, I am on the horns of a Dilemma (CR10)

Hrm! This is a powerful delimma.

Limeylongears wrote:

Should I buy the greatsword?

On the one hand, Iam trying to save money, and also want to avoid buying anything on credit.

On the other hand... it's a greatsword...

You should make the responsible choice - the thing that allows you to build for a better, brighter future. Obviously I mean you should purchase the greatsword. :V

EDIT: I'm so good at coding...


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Woran wrote:
Even though Cap Yesterday doesnt like simming, I would still like to propose the FaWtL swimming event, so we can see how everyone swims/floats.

I will win.

Not at floating, because I have no patience for that s***, but distance/endurance swimming, I would stake actual money on my chances.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Limeylongears wrote:

Spandex is everybody's freind.

In other news, I am on the horns of a Dilemma (CR10)

Should I buy the greatsword?

On the one hand, Iam trying to save money, and also want to avoid buying anything on credit.

On the other hand... it's a greatsword...

You need to buy it, of course.

And then take it everywhere with you, like that gal on Instagram who bought a replica Uruk-Hai blade and then photographed herself using it in everyday life.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

I tried an amazing local beer today.
A smoked maple Russian Imperial Stout, bourbon barrel-aged, and it was not, contrary to expectations, too sweet.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:
Woran wrote:
Even though Cap Yesterday doesnt like simming, I would still like to propose the FaWtL swimming event, so we can see how everyone swims/floats.

I will win.

Not at floating, because I have no patience for that s***, but distance/endurance swimming, I would stake actual money on my chances.

begins training montage

Vany(throwing buckets of water into Freehold's face as he runs down the street): You're a bum! When I'm done with you, you'll swim thunder and breathe lightning!

Freehold(coughing, sputterint): That sounds dangerous! When are we going to actually get in a pool to...you know...swim?

Vany: You're a swimming machine!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:

I tried an amazing local beer today.

A smoked maple Russian Imperial Stout, bourbon barrel-aged, and it was not, contrary to expectations, too sweet.

Sounds pretty good. Sickly-gooey tasting stouts are always disappointing, so if they've made something around the 7-12% mark that doesn't taste like treacle, that's good work.


Limeylongears wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:

I tried an amazing local beer today.

A smoked maple Russian Imperial Stout, bourbon barrel-aged, and it was not, contrary to expectations, too sweet.
Sounds pretty good. Sickly-gooey tasting stouts are always disappointing, so if they've made something around the 7-12% mark that doesn't taste like treacle, that's good work.

10.7%


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:
Woran wrote:
Even though Cap Yesterday doesnt like simming, I would still like to propose the FaWtL swimming event, so we can see how everyone swims/floats.

I will win.

Not at floating, because I have no patience for that s***, but distance/endurance swimming, I would stake actual money on my chances.

begins training montage

Vany(throwing buckets of water into Freehold's face as he runs down the street): You're a bum! When I'm done with you, you'll swim thunder and breathe lightning!

Freehold(coughing, sputterint): That sounds dangerous! When are we going to actually get in a pool to...you know...swim?

Vany: You're a swimming machine!

Are you Merman?

YES YOU ARE MERMAN.

MERMAN = FREEHOLD. FREEHOLD = MERMAN.


lisamarlene wrote:
Limeylongears wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:

I tried an amazing local beer today.

A smoked maple Russian Imperial Stout, bourbon barrel-aged, and it was not, contrary to expectations, too sweet.
Sounds pretty good. Sickly-gooey tasting stouts are always disappointing, so if they've made something around the 7-12% mark that doesn't taste like treacle, that's good work.
10.7%

I must try.


6 people marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:
Woran wrote:
Even though Cap Yesterday doesnt like simming, I would still like to propose the FaWtL swimming event, so we can see how everyone swims/floats.

I will win.

Not at floating, because I have no patience for that s***, but distance/endurance swimming, I would stake actual money on my chances.

begins training montage

Vany(throwing buckets of water into Freehold's face as he runs down the street): You're a bum! When I'm done with you, you'll swim thunder and breathe lightning!

Freehold(coughing, sputterint): That sounds dangerous! When are we going to actually get in a pool to...you know...swim?

Vany: You're a swimming machine!

You do understand that I have a sick enough mind to think up tortures you will never have the understanding to consider and I will call them "training exercises". Right? You understand this?

Now stop running. You're through Phase I of your warm up.

You're going to speed crawl down the length of Lake Shore Drive, and I have an effectively endless supply of water just to the east. And then I'm going to have Zelda's Boy, a 15-year-old high school football player, "coach" you into keeping the pace up. Watch out for traffic.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

So, I'm running a game set in the Tiger & Bunny universe, but in the Miami-analogue instead (destroyed by a series of hurricanes in 1950, rebuilt as OK City and linked by underground-and-over-island rail ways directly to Havana-and-Matanzas Haven City - the two may as well be the same city, really) with the new branch, HeroTV2, broadcasting the exploits of that city's heroes across the city and the world, and set nine years later in 1988.

The language is predominately English and Spanish in equal measure across the region. Strong secondary language is Italian, with Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Mongolian, and Russian all being prevalent in various specific communities (broadly being founded by refugees from the Russo-Japanese war, after having passed through Mexico) as well as targeted revivals of several native languages bringing those tongues back into quasi-prominence. That said, as a major port and tourist destination, nearly every language can be found somewhere in the city, even if it's only spoken among a handful of travelers. The cities actually deeply appreciate NEXT, as it was a NEXT who (while saving people from catastrophic destruction in 1950) founded the massive under-ground-and-under-water tunnels they now rely on for their two-halves to stay connected.

Run by the ex-vigilante who legally changed his name, CEO Neo Stone, the new branch of HeroTV and Apollon Corp ("HeroTV2") has proven a wildly popular local spin-off, and has attracted and created a large roster.

The heroes in this city include:

- GoGo-Let'sGo! My Eldest (sponsors: Padlock-Dadeland Millennial Mall, Burger Bell, and Taco King); power: psycho-lightning generating small gates through space-time (elemental/psychic type)

- Force Shield My Wife (sponsors: MDPD Public Relations, Shield Hygenics); power: shield made of force energy (psychic type)

- Wild Puncher My Youngest (sponsor: Treecozia.com); power: extreme physical capability (power type)

- Jetting Water NPC (sponsors: currently unlisted)

- Good Times NPC (sponsors: currently unlisted)

- Wildling NPC (sponsors: currently unlisted)

- Heave-Ho! NPC (sponsors: currently unlisted)

... to name a few. And that's just the A-List heroes! There's an entire lineup of B-list and C-list heroes who deal with crimes that - while perhaps less exciting - are still important to handle!

So tune in to your local station to catch the next exciting episode of HeroTV2: Live!

EDIT: If you'd like to submit your Hero for HeroTV2, please do, but remember to give:
- a name,
- costume,
- type (and power),
- and (importantly) a sponsor!
Also make sure to mention whether they're an A-List, B-List, or C-List hero!

Your Hero could soon be appearing on an episode of HeroTV: LIVE!

(If you just want to help me out and create sponsors for heroes already listed, instead, feel free! This is not a request, just an offer if you'd think it's fun.)


Tacticslion wrote:

So, I'm running a game set in the Tiger & Bunny universe, but in the Miami-analogue instead (destroyed by a series of hurricanes in 1950, rebuilt as OK City and linked by underground-and-over-island rail ways directly to Havana-and-Matanzas Haven City - the two may as well be the same city, really) with the new branch, HeroTV2, broadcasting the exploits of that city's heroes across the city and the world, and set nine years later in 1988.

The language is predominately English and Spanish in equal measure across the region. Strong secondary language is Italian, with Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Mongolian, and Russian all being prevalent in various specific communities (broadly being founded by refugees from the Russo-Japanese war, after having passed through Mexico) as well as targeted revivals of several native languages bringing those tongues back into quasi-prominence. That said, as a major port and tourist destination, nearly every language can be found somewhere in the city, even if it's only spoken among a handful of travelers. The cities actually deeply appreciate NEXT, as it was a NEXT who (while saving people from catastrophic destruction in 1950) founded the massive under-ground-and-under-water tunnels they now rely on for their two-halves to stay connected.

Run by the ex-vigilante who legally changed his name, CEO Neo Stone, the new branch of HeroTV and Apollon Corp ("HeroTV2") has proven a wildly popular local spin-off, and has attracted and created a large roster.

The heroes in this city include:

- GoGo-Let'sGo! My Eldest (sponsors: Padlock-Dadeland Millennial Mall, Burger Bell, and Taco King)

- Force Shield My Wife (sponsors: MDPD Public Relations, Shield Hygenics)

- Wild Puncher My Youngest (sponsor: Treecozia.com)

- Jetting Water NPC (sponsors: currently unlisted)

- Good Times NPC (sponsors: currently unlisted)...

Anyway, the prelude episode ("Episode 0" - first crime) went really well! It was a one-off encounter and I acted like the announcer as the characters rolled initiative, showed up at the scene (a bank robbery) and foiled the bad guys. We tallied up points thereafter.

(All, as it turns out, got 500 points.)

We're using the 4E chassis because the Powers system works pretty well, but we're using the psionics conceit (at will powers that can be Augmented; the Augmentations replacing Encounter powers) to model the effects.

We've identified several types of NEXT:

- animus-type (imbuing energy or mobility into objects or an area)
- elemental-type (power themed after a particular element)
- morphic-type (power built around transformation)
- power-type (power functioning by physical augmentation or ability)
- psychic-type (power channeled through psionic abilities)

Though NEXT are born with a single power, most can find multiple ways of using it, and a given NEXT's power can be based on up to two types.

GoGo is an elemental (electric, lightning)/psionic-type NEXT who's psycho-lightning is fantastic at battlefield control, and seemingly allows him to open gates.
- Costume: "Purple with yellow lightning designs"

Wild is a power-type NEXT who's physical abilities are entirely unmatched. He carries an iron shield and plows into his foes to bash them with surprising agility for such a big and bulky man.
- Costume: "Basically Wild Tiger's old costume; not the new costume, but the old one, 'cause it's better"

Ms. Shield is a psychic-type NEXT who's power is the ability to project and maintain force shields and energies.
- Costume: "The colors are blue, and sparkly"

There's a lot more to do before we're ready to make this game "serious" (if it ever gets there) but the first session was silly and an absolute blast!

GoGo went first (reasonable) and slammed into a gun-wielding perpetrator, taking him down instantly! In a moment of GM-derp, I realized after-the-fact that the robbers had been described as already-wounded after a tangle with the police. I'd had the guy tank the blast at first, but, then realized - "Oh, wait, no, he's taken down." Whooooooooops.

Though Force would have gone next, she delayed by sneaking through the battlefield to the suspects in order to protect them from any repercussions.

That allowed Wild to surge in, storming into the middle of a group who'd stolen riot gear from police and he absolutely tore them apart (and is now wielding a shield taken from them as part of his costume/equipment so proud, SNIFF.

The final robber decided to make a get-away by causing problems and lobbed a grenade at the tellers... but Force was already in place and her shield went up, blocking the grenade and knocking it right back down at the robber and into the main, empty room...

Though it was a grenade, and was built to hurt, it wasn't made to be lethal, and the robber survived, attempting a run, only to be taken down by GoGo at the last second!

All-in-all a successful episode of HeroTV, as the criminals, apprehended, were turned over to the authorities!


Vanykrye wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:
Woran wrote:
Even though Cap Yesterday doesnt like simming, I would still like to propose the FaWtL swimming event, so we can see how everyone swims/floats.

I will win.

Not at floating, because I have no patience for that s***, but distance/endurance swimming, I would stake actual money on my chances.

begins training montage

Vany(throwing buckets of water into Freehold's face as he runs down the street): You're a bum! When I'm done with you, you'll swim thunder and breathe lightning!

Freehold(coughing, sputterint): That sounds dangerous! When are we going to actually get in a pool to...you know...swim?

Vany: You're a swimming machine!

You do understand that I have a sick enough mind to think up tortures you will never have the understanding to consider and I will call them "training exercises". Right? You understand this?

Now stop running. You're through Phase I of your warm up.

You're going to speed crawl down the length of Lake Shore Drive, and I have an effectively endless supply of water just to the east. And then I'm going to have Zelda's Boy, a 15-year-old high school football player, "coach" you into keeping the pace up. Watch out for traffic.

Oh, so you're trying to turn him into Hairo. There are worse fates.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Twenty five years ago I was a water lovin otter-child.

Today I might die before LM finished her third lap.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

HEY FREEHOLD! Romancing SaGa 3 will be on Steam in November! =D


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:
Woran wrote:
Even though Cap Yesterday doesnt like simming, I would still like to propose the FaWtL swimming event, so we can see how everyone swims/floats.

I will win.

Not at floating, because I have no patience for that s***, but distance/endurance swimming, I would stake actual money on my chances.

begins training montage

Vany(throwing buckets of water into Freehold's face as he runs down the street): You're a bum! When I'm done with you, you'll swim thunder and breathe lightning!

Freehold(coughing, sputterint): That sounds dangerous! When are we going to actually get in a pool to...you know...swim?

Vany: You're a swimming machine!

You do understand that I have a sick enough mind to think up tortures you will never have the understanding to consider and I will call them "training exercises". Right? You understand this?

Now stop running. You're through Phase I of your warm up.

You're going to speed crawl down the length of Lake Shore Drive, and I have an effectively endless supply of water just to the east. And then I'm going to have Zelda's Boy, a 15-year-old high school football player, "coach" you into keeping the pace up. Watch out for traffic.

Freehold(exhausted): How will any of this lead to me defeating lisamarlene in the FAWTSWIMLYMPICS?!

Vany: That's a question only Taskmaster Zelda's Boy can help you solve.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Orthos wrote:
HEY FREEHOLD! Romancing SaGa 3 will be on Steam in November! =D

YES


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I was wanting to watch one of my very favorite October movies, but the kids aren't quite old enough for it and WW is snooty about it. Something about it only getting 20% on Rotten Tomatoes and only getting made in the first place because Dow Chemical had money they couldn't take out of Yugoslavia.
It's a screwy, dorky, fantastic movie with one of Carole Kane's goofiest performances.
Here it is for free: Transylvania 6-5000.

Meanwhile, WW has promised to watch my favorite artsy October movie, Shadow of the Vampire, with me later this month.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I got gas for $1.39 today. I bought a taco from Taco Bell.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

My wife accused me of having no empathy. I just can't understand why she would feel that way.

Scarab Sages

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber
Limeylongears wrote:
Woran wrote:
Even though Cap Yesterday doesnt like simming, I would still like to propose the FaWtL swimming event, so we can see how everyone swims/floats.

Let's do it.

Shall we just go backwards and forwards across the North Sea, or do we have to meet the Americans halfway in the middle of the Atlantic?

We could meet up halfway, in iceland? Find a nice hot volcanic pool? Cap Yesterday can be in charge of grilling stuff over the lava.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:

I was wanting to watch one of my very favorite October movies, but the kids aren't quite old enough for it and WW is snooty about it. Something about it only getting 20% on Rotten Tomatoes and only getting made in the first place because Dow Chemical had money they couldn't take out of Yugoslavia.

It's a screwy, dorky, fantastic movie with one of Carole Kane's goofiest performances.
Here it is for free: Transylvania 6-5000.

Meanwhile, WW has promised to watch my favorite artsy October movie, Shadow of the Vampire, with me later this month.

why does that last sound familiar? What's it about?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:

I was wanting to watch one of my very favorite October movies, but the kids aren't quite old enough for it and WW is snooty about it. Something about it only getting 20% on Rotten Tomatoes and only getting made in the first place because Dow Chemical had money they couldn't take out of Yugoslavia.

It's a screwy, dorky, fantastic movie with one of Carole Kane's goofiest performances.
Here it is for free: Transylvania 6-5000.

Meanwhile, WW has promised to watch my favorite artsy October movie, Shadow of the Vampire, with me later this month.

why does that last sound familiar? What's it about?

Willem Dafoe as Max Schrek. It imagines that, when he made the classic "Nosferatu", F.W. Murnau found an actual vampire to "play" the monster in his movie (which I think is based on an old rumor surrounding that film). John Malkovich plays the director.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:

I was wanting to watch one of my very favorite October movies, but the kids aren't quite old enough for it and WW is snooty about it. Something about it only getting 20% on Rotten Tomatoes and only getting made in the first place because Dow Chemical had money they couldn't take out of Yugoslavia.

It's a screwy, dorky, fantastic movie with one of Carole Kane's goofiest performances.
Here it is for free: Transylvania 6-5000.

Meanwhile, WW has promised to watch my favorite artsy October movie, Shadow of the Vampire, with me later this month.

why does that last sound familiar? What's it about?
Willem Dafoe as Max Schrek. It imagines that, when he made the classic "Nosferatu", F.W. Murnau found an actual vampire to "play" the monster in his movie (which I think is based on an old rumor surrounding that film). John Malkovich plays the director.

Coooooool


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Cooking experiment:

I still had some leftover cinnamon french toast batter after I'd used the last slice of bread, and there were half a dozen corn tortillas in the fridge from our last taco night, so I crumbled them up, soaked them in the batter for 15 minutes, and made a cross between french toast and chilaquiles. The sweet batter made them taste kinda like sopapillas. It would have been so much better if there were some bacon ends mixed in, though.

Except now I want *real* chilaquiles.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

I have a window garden of much produce. I finally got my first edible product today!

That's right, after planting 50 cents worth of seeds, and a month and a half of work, we have...

...a dollar worth of cilantro.

Meanwhile, tomatoes, lettuce, and everything that will sprout into something worth more than a 50 cent profit is taking it's sweet-ass time.


6 people marked this as a favorite.

Geez... just *SO* typical and yet again makes me ecstatic I now have a full Linux box running.

For those who use Macs and actually allow Apple to update your software, release 10.15 (Catalina) officially disables 32-bit apps. So if you've been using a Mac for a while, oh, things on my Mac that would die include Editra (a nice text editor), Paragon (mount Windows drives), Diablo III, League of Legends, and my corporate web conference software.

Yeah, I *could* replace most of them, but the point is, there is *no* reason to remove 32-bit support other than sheer laziness: QAing your 32-bit support costs money, Apple happens to be swimming in money right now, but they're cost-cutting anyway, just to be jerks.

Windows 10 has 32-bit support. All flavors of Linux have 32-bit support. Apple removing 32-bit support feels punitive and lazy.

And yep. System Update is now permanently off on my Mac.

Good job, Apple!

EDIT: And I wouldn't be so incensed if they'd just be honest about it. "As a cost-cutting measure, we will no longer be providing support to 32-bit applications. Use them at your own risk."

Instead, it's, "For your security, we're removing support for 32-bit applications."
I call b***s**t.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

And I used to swim 2-3 miles around Abbot's Lagoon for fun, so I'll take on Lisamarlene on the "endurance challenge". Why not?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
And I used to swim 2-3 miles around Abbot's Lagoon for fun, so I'll take on Lisamarlene on the "endurance challenge". Why not?

It's not like it will gonna happen anytime soon anyway...


3 people marked this as a favorite.

*grumble-grumble*

I need to put on some clothes and go out...

*grumble-grumble*

Stupid elections...


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Morning Tech Tirade:
And it's not as if I'm opposed to blanket bans of companies with a history of incompetence: I strongly supported Steve Job's attempt to kill off Adobe Flash, and any company that bans Cisco routers is doing the world a favor.

I swear, you could ask Adobe to make a simple text editor or Cisco to make a basic CD player and they'd manage to make them grossly insecure.

Adobe: Well, of course we had to install an update tool that runs on startup with administrative privileges! How else are we going to keep the text editor up-to-date? And who could have possibly foreseen that our always-on, always-listening administrative-level update service would have gaping security holes allowing compromise of a user's entire system? You wanted a "basic text editor". We gave you one. We could not possibly have foreseen that the updater might have been an issue...

Cisco: Well, of course we put in an open wireless connection on your CD player! No one would buy one if we didn't, even if it wasn't in your specs! And yes, we realize that hard-coding the administrative password in our source code wasn't the wisest of moves, but we're re-training our engineers (again) to stop doing that (again), so it won't happen again (again).

233,801 to 233,850 of 247,057 << first < prev | 4672 | 4673 | 4674 | 4675 | 4676 | 4677 | 4678 | 4679 | 4680 | 4681 | 4682 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.