Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

232,751 to 232,800 of 234,417 << first < prev | 4651 | 4652 | 4653 | 4654 | 4655 | 4656 | 4657 | 4658 | 4659 | 4660 | 4661 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:
Planescape!

Lankhmar!

Scarab Sages

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber
Vanykrye wrote:
Planescape!

YES


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Gray box Forgotten Realms.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Looks like today is our last day of 80 degrees or more for the foreseeable future.

vows to not let autumn see him crying.


8 people marked this as a favorite.

Dress rehearsals have begun. Costume timings are proving...tricky.

"Lions, Tigers, and Bears" begins
"Where's Lion? Where the heck is Lion?!"
Lion sprints up a few bars late, bounds onto the stage...with his costume on backwards

All of us backstage for scene changes are torn between laughter and exasperation as we watch him do the entire song and dance with his tail in front.


7 people marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:

Dress rehearsals have begun. Costume timings are proving...tricky.

"Lions, Tigers, and Bears" begins
"Where's Lion? Where the heck is Lion?!"
Lion sprints up a few bars late, bounds onto the stage...with his costume on backwards

All of us backstage for scene changes are torn between laughter and exasperation as we watch him do the entire song and dance with his tail in front.

I’m here! I’m here! Dang it! Stop rushing me!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
DeathQuaker wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
Sharoth wrote:
NobodysHome, have you listened to NPR's podcast, The Big One? So far it is pretty good, in a scary sort of way.

I tend to listen to music while at work (because focus) and the family in the evening (because family), but I'll see whether I can squeeze it in.

I'm assuming it's about the eternally-upcoming 9.0+ quake in California.

Just a totally random thing, I read this sentence this morning, and I was then possessed of a strong urge to listen to "California Earthquake" performed by Cass Elliott. (As an aside, few these days apparently know she did not actually like being called "Mama" (apart from the link, I have been told this by someone who apparently knew her)). Then for the rest of the day her music and her story were on my mind for some reason...

And then I realized today (1 minute left) was her birthday (she would have been 78 or thereabouts--around the same age as my dad. She died just shy of her 33rd birthday due to a heart attack caused in part by severe crash/starvation dieting (another myth, choking was not involved)). Happy birthday to a lady with an amazing voice.

fascinating history.

May she rest peacefully.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:
Gray box Forgotten Realms.

removes CY from Christmas card list

DARK SUN!!!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Cap'n Yesterday's Summer Dreams wrote:

Looks like today is our last day of 80 degrees or more for the foreseeable future.

vows to not let autumn see him crying.

puts CY back on Christmas card list, this is a far better punishment


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:

Dress rehearsals have begun. Costume timings are proving...tricky.

"Lions, Tigers, and Bears" begins
"Where's Lion? Where the heck is Lion?!"
Lion sprints up a few bars late, bounds onto the stage...with his costume on backwards

All of us backstage for scene changes are torn between laughter and exasperation as we watch him do the entire song and dance with his tail in front.

oh man.

So many jokes...so many jokes...


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Woran wrote:
Vanykrye wrote:

One of my technicians just got a phone call from a former work-from-home employee. She's received the shipping labels for all of the equipment she needs to send back, but she needs advice because she's pretty sure the equipment doesn't fit in the same boxes it came in.

....

It won't fit in the box it came in.

...

Perhaps this is why you are now a former employee.

Maybe its like a tent. I can never decently fit those back into the bag they came in.

Well now I want a tent with a map printed on it.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

So, is there anything more annoying than applications that still use Flash?

I swear, Steve Jobs was doing the world a tremendous favor way back in 2010 when he announced that Apple would no longer support Flash on its devices. Google is finally following suit in 2019.

But we've still got major software companies putting out interfaces built on Flash.

NO! Bad corporation! No biscuit!

Scarab Sages

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber

Freehold, Vankyre, your packages are in the mail. Now we wait an undetermined amount of time.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Never know how long something will take to get here from Europe. I've seen shipments from the UK take anywhere from 1 week to 6 months.


NobodysHome wrote:

So, is there anything more annoying than applications that still use Flash?

I swear, Steve Jobs was doing the world a tremendous favor way back in 2010 when he announced that Apple would no longer support Flash on its devices. Google is finally following suit in 2019.

But we've still got major software companies putting out interfaces built on Flash.

NO! Bad corporation! No biscuit!

but how will I play flash games?


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Woran wrote:
Freehold, Vankyre, your packages are in the mail. Now we wait an undetermined amount of time.

waits by mailbox

does not bother IT

is good


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Yup, it's one of those days.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Twould appear the boss likes to schedule the cray cray people for the fall.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Hello, everyone!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DeathQuaker wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
Sharoth wrote:
NobodysHome, have you listened to NPR's podcast, The Big One? So far it is pretty good, in a scary sort of way.

I tend to listen to music while at work (because focus) and the family in the evening (because family), but I'll see whether I can squeeze it in.

I'm assuming it's about the eternally-upcoming 9.0+ quake in California.

Just a totally random thing, I read this sentence this morning, and I was then possessed of a strong urge to listen to "California Earthquake" performed by Cass Elliott. (As an aside, few these days apparently know she did not actually like being called "Mama" (apart from the link, I have been told this by someone who apparently knew her)). Then for the rest of the day her music and her story were on my mind for some reason...

And then I realized today (1 minute left) was her birthday (she would have been 78 or thereabouts--around the same age as my dad. She died just shy of her 33rd birthday due to a heart attack caused in part by severe crash/starvation dieting (another myth, choking was not involved)). Happy birthday to a lady with an amazing voice.

Here's a thought: if you don't want to be called Mama, perhaps, maybe, just spitballin'...

...don't be a founding member of The Mamas and the Papas.

Just sayin'.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber
Vanykrye wrote:
Never know how long something will take to get here from Europe. I've seen shipments from the UK take anywhere from 1 week to 6 months.

Keeps it exciting.


The Vagrant Erudite wrote:

Here's a thought: if you don't want to be called Mama, perhaps, maybe, just spitballin'...

...don't be a founding member of The Mamas and the Papas.

Just sayin'.

Heh.

It could have been a thing where it evolved, though - like it could have started out fine, but become annoying later on. For example, it seems Michelle Phillips was not particularly called "Mama," so it could be a frustrating thing to be singled out that way.

(There's a similar disconnect with John Phillips - called "Papa Phillips" - and Denny Doherty, who, as far as I can tell, was never really called "Papa" either. It is weird that the Phillips man was called "Papa" and the non-Phillips woman was called "Mama," so...)

((I honestly don't know - I'm just spit-balling right back.))


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Goo Goo Dolls was originally a joke name that stuck and the singer absolutely hated the name.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hm.

As a deeper thing, it could be that there were more problems with the group itself.

Mild reading of Wikipedia, notes...

Quote:
John and Michelle Phillips became Hollywood celebrities, living in the Hollywood Hills and socializing with stars such as Jack Nicholson, Warren Beatty, and Roman Polanski. The Mamas & the Papas broke up in 1968 largely because Cass Elliot wanted to go solo and because of personal problems between Phillips, his wife Michelle, and Denny Doherty, including Michelle's affair with Doherty. As Michelle Phillips later recounted, "Cass confronted me and said 'I don't get it. You could have any man you want. Why would you take mine (Doherty)?'" Michelle was fired briefly in 1966 for having affairs with Gene Clark and Doherty, she was replaced for two months by Jill Gibson, their producer Lou Adler's girlfriend. Although Michelle Phillips was forgiven and asked to return to the group, the personal problems continued until the group split. Cass Elliot went on to have a successful solo career until her death from heart failure in 1974.

So it probably was a pretty harsh thing to go through to be continuously reminded of those issues by being referred to as her band name persona.

Boop.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I've gotten through the first nine seasons of The Walking Dead.

A few thoughts.

They need to stop putting Carol in charge of kids, or at least stop her from giving them red shirts.

I thought the latter seasons are better than the early seasons, I especially like the Whisperers as villains.

My favorite person is Negan, and Daryl grew on me, and of course, Ezekiel (R.I.P. Shiva!).

Happiness is the mark of death, as soon as someone starts to seem happy or at least content with the situation (or they're put under Carol's care) you know it's only a matter of time before they die.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

A large area of Pittsburgh is now under a 48-hour boil water advisory. *Stupid water main break*


High School Sportsball for the win!

(... dang it.)


John Napier 698 wrote:
A large area of Pittsburgh is now under a 48-hour boil water advisory. *Stupid water main break*

Ooooof. That’s sucky, my dude. Hope it resolves itself fats!


captain yesterday wrote:

I've gotten through the first nine seasons of The Walking Dead.

A few thoughts.

They need to stop putting Carol in charge of kids, or at least stop her from giving them red shirts.

I thought the latter seasons are better than the early seasons, I especially like the Whisperers as villains.

My favorite person is Negan, and Daryl grew on me, and of course, Ezekiel (R.I.P. Shiva!).

Happiness is the mark of death, as soon as someone starts to seem happy or at least content with the situation (or they're put under Carol's care) you know it's only a matter of time before they die.

I will say, in Carol’s defense, that one set - while, yes, a very, very terrible oversight/blindness - was really not her fault. But, uh, yeah.

Also Rick be totes cray-cray.


Oh, and Ezekiel is best boi.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Clocking out. Good night, everyone.


John Napier 698 wrote:
Clocking out. Good night, everyone.

Good night, John!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalso.

Oooooooooooooooooppphhhh.

Listening to the "evil humanist" faction rhetoric shortly after having watched a review of the film Silence is... ah... hm. It's.... uncomfortable, to say the least.

I absolutely cannot imagine Japanese audiences being deaf to the implications and related connotations. Yikes. Given that it seems... surprising that the show was as accepted as it was. Hm.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:

Dress rehearsals have begun. Costume timings are proving...tricky.

"Lions, Tigers, and Bears" begins
"Where's Lion? Where the heck is Lion?!"
Lion sprints up a few bars late, bounds onto the stage...with his costume on backwards

All of us backstage for scene changes are torn between laughter and exasperation as we watch him do the entire song and dance with his tail in front.

The costume has been fixed! Apparently what happened was they took the tail off to put some wire in so it would flop less...and sewed it on the wrong side.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:
Scintillae wrote:

Dress rehearsals have begun. Costume timings are proving...tricky.

"Lions, Tigers, and Bears" begins
"Where's Lion? Where the heck is Lion?!"
Lion sprints up a few bars late, bounds onto the stage...with his costume on backwards

All of us backstage for scene changes are torn between laughter and exasperation as we watch him do the entire song and dance with his tail in front.

The costume has been fixed! Apparently what happened was they took the tail off to put some wire in so it would flop less...and sewed it on the wrong side.

...

You gotta be setting up some stand up routines here.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

Last night was one of the most successful nights I have had on the second job in a long, long time. Absolutely amazing. Great night.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
Scintillae wrote:
Scintillae wrote:

Dress rehearsals have begun. Costume timings are proving...tricky.

"Lions, Tigers, and Bears" begins
"Where's Lion? Where the heck is Lion?!"
Lion sprints up a few bars late, bounds onto the stage...with his costume on backwards

All of us backstage for scene changes are torn between laughter and exasperation as we watch him do the entire song and dance with his tail in front.

The costume has been fixed! Apparently what happened was they took the tail off to put some wire in so it would flop less...and sewed it on the wrong side.

...

You gotta be setting up some stand up routines here.

Welcome to tech week. Other routines include "[Munchkin], for the FIFTEENTH time, do not stand in the flight path, or Glinda's bubble will take you out." "OKAY!" doesn't move and "Toto, you came back!" Toto sprints right past Dorothy and off the other side of the stage


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Toto should have held the line.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:

Here's a thought: if you don't want to be called Mama, perhaps, maybe, just spitballin'...

...don't be a founding member of The Mamas and the Papas.

Just sayin'.

Heh.

It could have been a thing where it evolved, though - like it could have started out fine, but become annoying later on. For example, it seems Michelle Phillips was not particularly called "Mama," so it could be a frustrating thing to be singled out that way.

(There's a similar disconnect with John Phillips - called "Papa Phillips" - and Denny Doherty, who, as far as I can tell, was never really called "Papa" either. It is weird that the Phillips man was called "Papa" and the non-Phillips woman was called "Mama," so...)

((I honestly don't know - I'm just spit-balling right back.))

When they were all IN the Mamas and the Papas, they were all called Mama or Papa (Papa John, Papa Denny, Mama Cass, Mama Michelle). But after they broke up, everyone just called them by their regular name (John Phillips, Denny Doherty)... Except Cass. (Also, I've looked an insane amount up on the history of this band due to a weird obsession with you folk rock in my teens, especially this band, and I've never heard of John being called "Papa Phillips.") The band was only together for 3 years, producing 4 albums. (There was a 5th album in 71 that they were forced to make for contractual reasons, and most prefer to forget it.)

Ironically, all of the tried to launch solo careers. Only Cass was successful. But she couldn't escape the "Mama" moniker. Initially, I would guess her agent made her keep it due to "brand recognition." Her earlier albums had it on there. But by the 70s she was really doing her own thing, doing well, very apart from her earlier work, including leading her own variety show specials on TV like the pre linked-to special entitled "Don't Call Me Mama Anymore." She wanted to shed the association with a band that was now years behind her (and, I'm sure, fraught with some difficult memories). She wanted to make a name for herself, and deserved to. And she probably WOULD have... She was definitely on her way to doing so, selling out under "Cass Elliot" at the London Palladium the night before she died. Unfortunately she died before her efforts to make her OWN name for herself (indeed, "making her own kind of music") fully set in place.

But out of respect for the dead, I call her by the name she wanted to be known by, Cass Elliot.

Saying she should be saddled with a name she didn't want, for being part of a band for a few years (that she was the last person to join, hardly "founding" it) is both asinine and disrespectful to the wishes of the deceased. She was also in The Big Three and the Mugwumps, but we're not calling her Big Mama Mugwump either (though we might name an unrelated goblin character that). Should we call other successful solo musicians by the name of the band they used to be in forever, even after they've left that work behind? Beatle Paul? Supreme Diana? Maniac Merchant? That's silly and stupid.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Supreme Diana's quite a good name. Sounds like a prog band, or perhaps feminist power-metal.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

3 people marked this as a favorite.

It'd be a great name for something ( many are), but diminishing of Diana Ross's career if that's what you called her specifically.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DeathQuaker wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:

Here's a thought: if you don't want to be called Mama, perhaps, maybe, just spitballin'...

...don't be a founding member of The Mamas and the Papas.

Just sayin'.

Heh.

It could have been a thing where it evolved, though - like it could have started out fine, but become annoying later on. For example, it seems Michelle Phillips was not particularly called "Mama," so it could be a frustrating thing to be singled out that way.

(There's a similar disconnect with John Phillips - called "Papa Phillips" - and Denny Doherty, who, as far as I can tell, was never really called "Papa" either. It is weird that the Phillips man was called "Papa" and the non-Phillips woman was called "Mama," so...)

((I honestly don't know - I'm just spit-balling right back.))

When they were all IN the Mamas and the Papas, they were all called Mama or Papa (Papa John, Papa Denny, Mama Cass, Mama Michelle). But after they broke up, everyone just called them by their regular name (John Phillips, Denny Doherty)... Except Cass. (Also, I've looked an insane amount up on the history of this band due to a weird obsession with you folk rock in my teens, especially this band, and I've never heard of John being called "Papa Phillips.") The band was only together for 3 years, producing 4 albums. (There was a 5th album in 71 that they were forced to make for contractual reasons, and most prefer to forget it.)

Ironically, all of the tried to launch solo careers. Only Cass was successful. But she couldn't escape the "Mama" moniker. Initially, I would guess her agent made her keep it due to "brand recognition." Her earlier albums had it on there. But by the 70s she was really doing her own thing, doing well, very apart from her earlier work, including leading her own variety show specials on TV like the pre linked-to special entitled "Don't Call Me Mama Anymore." Should we call other successful solo musicians by the name of the band they used to be in forever, even after they've left that work behind? Beatle Paul? Supreme Diana? Maniac Merchant? That's silly and stupid.

No its not!


DeathQuaker wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:

Here's a thought: if you don't want to be called Mama, perhaps, maybe, just spitballin'...

...don't be a founding member of The Mamas and the Papas.

Just sayin'.

Heh.

It could have been a thing where it evolved, though - like it could have started out fine, but become annoying later on. For example, it seems Michelle Phillips was not particularly called "Mama," so it could be a frustrating thing to be singled out that way.

(There's a similar disconnect with John Phillips - called "Papa Phillips" - and Denny Doherty, who, as far as I can tell, was never really called "Papa" either. It is weird that the Phillips man was called "Papa" and the non-Phillips woman was called "Mama," so...)

((I honestly don't know - I'm just spit-balling right back.))

When they were all IN the Mamas and the Papas, they were all called Mama or Papa (Papa John, Papa Denny, Mama Cass, Mama Michelle). But after they broke up, everyone just called them by their regular name (John Phillips, Denny Doherty)... Except Cass. (Also, I've looked an insane amount up on the history of this band due to a weird obsession with you folk rock in my teens, especially this band, and I've never heard of John being called "Papa Phillips.") The band was only together for 3 years, producing 4 albums. (There was a 5th album in 71 that they were forced to make for contractual reasons, and most prefer to forget it.)

Ironically, all of the tried to launch solo careers. Only Cass was successful. But she couldn't escape the "Mama" moniker. Initially, I would guess her agent made her keep it due to "brand recognition." Her earlier albums had it on there. But by the 70s she was really doing her own thing, doing well, very apart from her earlier work, including leading her own variety show specials on TV like the pre linked-to special entitled "Don't Call Me Mama Anymore." She wanted to shed the association with a band that was now years behind her (and, I'm sure, fraught...

love your knowledge of music history.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
love your knowledge of music history.

LOL thanks. Particularly in that era I know some utterly random details about things. That and Doctor Who Trivia... all replacing information in my brain like useful adult life skills or remembering what I did yesterday. (Actually I do remember I did yesterday, which was pay out the nose for a car repair, so I'mma go back to 1960s-70s singers for now.)


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I dug out a hole, hit a wire and an underground hose (both out of date, so no biggie), delivered five more steps (each one about 600 pounds each), installed one, and delivered another ton of blue stone for a walkway we're putting in.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

1 person marked this as a favorite.

A hard day's work!


9 people marked this as a favorite.

Well, WW's big party seems to have been a success.
Lots of people came. It went on for five hours. I think the food turned out okay. But, honestly, I'm just so glad it's over.
I'm not good with people, I'm terrible with parties, I get horrible anxiety having to cook for lots of people, or having people in my house, or trying to talk to people, and my inner train of thought was something like:

Spoiler:

"ohgodsohgodsohgods everything is a failure and I'm way behind schedule and this is horrible" (when people started arriving and the appetizers weren't done yet)

"s**ts**ts**ts**ts**ts**ts**ts**ts**t I spent all this money on this food and it would have been cheaper just to do burgers and people probably would have liked it better"

"crapmonkeys she's trying to talk to me why is she trying to talk to me and what IS her name and why won't she go away and talk to someone who likes talking?"

"this is a disaster and people are only pretending to like the food to be polite and everybody hates it and why did I do this?"

"ohmygod how long before this is over?"

"where did I put my drink?"

But I think WW was happy. And the kids had a good time. So that all worked out... okay, I guess?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:

Well, WW's big party seems to have been a success.

Lots of people came. It went on for five hours. I think the food turned out okay. But, honestly, I'm just so glad it's over.
I'm not good with people, I'm terrible with parties, I get horrible anxiety having to cook for lots of people, or having people in my house, or trying to talk to people, and my inner train of thought was something like:

** spoiler omitted **

But I think WW was happy. And the kids had a good time. So that all worked out... okay, I guess?

I will be sure to avoid caffeine 24 hours before we meet. Someone I love exasperatingly says I am very much like a puppy, have only become more puppy like as I age, and should probably avoid caffeine before meeting new people unless they are as puppy like as I am.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Denizens Of Forbidden Lands: Yeoman. A second profession for Forbidden Lands.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:

Well, WW's big party seems to have been a success.

Lots of people came. It went on for five hours. I think the food turned out okay. But, honestly, I'm just so glad it's over.
I'm not good with people, I'm terrible with parties, I get horrible anxiety having to cook for lots of people, or having people in my house, or trying to talk to people, and my inner train of thought was something like:

** spoiler omitted **

But I think WW was happy. And the kids had a good time. So that all worked out... okay, I guess?

I will be sure to avoid caffeine 24 hours before we meet. Someone I love exasperatingly says I am very much like a puppy, have only become more puppy like as I age, and should probably avoid caffeine before meeting new people unless they are as puppy like as I am.

Should we also keep you away from sugar for the time being?

232,751 to 232,800 of 234,417 << first < prev | 4651 | 4652 | 4653 | 4654 | 4655 | 4656 | 4657 | 4658 | 4659 | 4660 | 4661 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.