Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

232,601 to 232,650 of 236,804 << first < prev | 4648 | 4649 | 4650 | 4651 | 4652 | 4653 | 4654 | 4655 | 4656 | 4657 | 4658 | next > last >>

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Freehold DM wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:
I went to the Renaissance fair with my family and my brothers paid a jester to follow me around and heckle me.
Ok that's horrible but it IS a great brother prank.

No, it wasn't a brother prank, it's just one of the many ways my brothers excluded me.

They've never done it to each other, and they go every year.

is there no way for you to pay a jester to follow them and be a dick the entire time?

Then I wouldn't have money for something busty for the wife.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

7 people marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:

WW's fiftieth birthday is Thursday, and his big party is Saturday evening. At our house.

I am trying to stay positive and not devolve into a mass of insecurity and anxiety to the point of hysteria, mostly because I've got work to do, but we're going to have about fifty people in our backyard and I'm making most of the food. And there's cleaning and baking and various other preparations, not to mention my actual job.
I hate parties.
I mean, I like the idea of parties, and other people, existing, in theory, I just want them all to go far, far away.

In other news, while digging the party supplies out of the garage last night, I finally found my good flannel sheets and my GM mug. Only took me thirteen months.

(My good knives are still missing, however.)

Didn't you say he wants to be more like me?

Tell him that for my 50th birthday, I drove up to Yosemite and went hiking alone all day, didn't have any kind of party, and accepted no gifts.

And there you go.

That is no doubt what *I* will do in five years, because it sounds perfect to me, but that has never, and will never, be WW's ("ME! Make ME the center of the universe!") way.

I hate birthday people like that! It's just another day! When will people learn to be more humble?

On an unrelated topic, International Worship Freehold Day falls on a Saturday this year. So I better hear some praise, people! It's not like any of you have to go to work!

For whatever it is worth to the universe, I think birthdays are awesome and people who throw birthdays for others are even more awesome.

And while of course everyone should spend their birthday the way THEY want (whether in a crowd or alone) it is worth acknowledging both the complex universal algorithms that resulted in a given unique being and that they survived another year in this crazy world when we humans are after all so very fragile.

I fully admit to being "hey it is the I should be center of the universe today day" sort of celebrant, although that still mostly manifests as going out to dinner (on my organization) and my declaring that I can eat all the ice cream I want for the entire month that my birthday falls on (I have also done the birthday hermit thing though like when on my 40th I stayed overnight at a retreat center and did some artwork, and that was lovely in its own way). At the same time, being an eternal childless singleton (those most wretched and loathed creatures by society) I think I have had maybe ONE birthday party thrown FOR me (as in I didn't do the planning) my entire adult life (which was more of a "hey we're all getting together anyway so I'll make you your favorite dish and a cake"... but they really did go to a lot of effort to make those things so it definitely counts). I know how much frikkin' work it is and know it's way hard for the planner (having planned things for other people and also doing event planning for part of my living) so never would expect such a thing but that one time it happened... it felt really special, and I felt really appreciated and affirmed as a human being and friend. Which is all to say if a person has someone to plan you a birthday party (whether friend, lover, generous street hobo, coworker, or what have you), you're really lucky, and if you DO throw parties for people you care about... you are good and wonderful people, especially because yes, throwing a party is a pain in the ass.

PS: holy wow does that menu sound awesome.


6 people marked this as a favorite.

Well, the *good* thing about unlimited time off is that sometimes, you're just feeling a little low with a stupid mild cold, and in most jobs it would be, "Suck it up and go in anyway."

Since it's irrelevant to me, I decided to take the day off, relax, and let myself get over the cold.

Y'know, like everyone says you SHOULD do, but *no* schools or corporations actually allow.

Tirade-y:
Yeah, it's one of those things about the world that really p****s me off:
School: "If your child is sick, please keep them home to avoid spreading the illness. Oh, but if they have more than 10 absences a year, you have to bring a doctor's note for every single absence or we'll report you to the truancy department."
So... which is it? Other than Impus Major, who has maybe 2-3 sick days a year, I don't know of a single kid who wouldn't break that 10-day mark if their parents kept them home every day they had a cold.

Work: "Bringing illness to work doesn't just affect your productivity, it affects the productivity of all those around you when you spread your illness, so please stay home if you are at all sick. Oh, except we won't pay you for more than a handful of sick days a year, and after that we'll cut your pay, and possibly even your benefits."

Education: "If you are absent, the district cannot afford a substitute so you must find a colleague to cover your classes for you. Failing that, your class will be canceled. You are still expected to cover all of the required materials for the semester."
Yes. That was the actual policy at 2 of the 3 schools at which I taught: No substitutes, and YOU were responsible for catching your class up if you missed class for any reason.

Considering the sheer volume of research that indicates that forcing employees to come to work sick massively decreases productivity, you'd think that 19th-century attitude towards illness would have been expunged by the modern "productivity is everything" attitude of modern corporations.

But dinosaur execs refuse to let go of their old beliefs, so the majority of the workforce goes to work sick all the time...
(And don't get GothBard started on the number of ill people she has to sit around while taking public transportation to work.)


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I cannot wait for The Great British Baking Show on Friday, it's dairy week.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hello, everyone!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:
I went to the Renaissance fair with my family and my brothers paid a jester to follow me around and heckle me.
Ok that's horrible but it IS a great brother prank.

No, it wasn't a brother prank, it's just one of the many ways my brothers excluded me.

They've never done it to each other, and they go every year.

is there no way for you to pay a jester to follow them and be a dick the entire time?
Then I wouldn't have money for something busty for the wife.

...I have so many questions...


2 people marked this as a favorite.
DeathQuaker wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:

WW's fiftieth birthday is Thursday, and his big party is Saturday evening. At our house.

I am trying to stay positive and not devolve into a mass of insecurity and anxiety to the point of hysteria, mostly because I've got work to do, but we're going to have about fifty people in our backyard and I'm making most of the food. And there's cleaning and baking and various other preparations, not to mention my actual job.
I hate parties.
I mean, I like the idea of parties, and other people, existing, in theory, I just want them all to go far, far away.

In other news, while digging the party supplies out of the garage last night, I finally found my good flannel sheets and my GM mug. Only took me thirteen months.

(My good knives are still missing, however.)

Didn't you say he wants to be more like me?

Tell him that for my 50th birthday, I drove up to Yosemite and went hiking alone all day, didn't have any kind of party, and accepted no gifts.

And there you go.

That is no doubt what *I* will do in five years, because it sounds perfect to me, but that has never, and will never, be WW's ("ME! Make ME the center of the universe!") way.

I hate birthday people like that! It's just another day! When will people learn to be more humble?

On an unrelated topic, International Worship Freehold Day falls on a Saturday this year. So I better hear some praise, people! It's not like any of you have to go to work!

For whatever it is worth to the universe, I think birthdays are awesome and people who throw birthdays for others are even more awesome.

And while of course everyone should spend their birthday the way THEY want (whether in a crowd or alone) it is worth acknowledging both the complex universal algorithms that resulted in a given unique being and that they survived another year in this crazy world when we humans are after all so very fragile.

I fully admit to being...

buys more fireworks for DeathQuaker birthday


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The man is right. Corsets and Renaissance Fairs go together like...smooshed boobs and a corset, frankly.

To be Sex/Gender Inclusive, I'd like to point out it also goes together like smooshed dong and a codpiece, but I know what Freehold pays more attention to.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
DeathQuaker wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:
Slaadish Chef wrote:
Do you have (or can you borrow) a few crockpots/slow cookers? They are good for buffet-style service, and there are a lot of things you can make in them that only require minimal prep. What's your menu going to be like?

The usual menu is:

Bouillabaisse, cooked over a wood fire;
Dates stuffed with chorizo, wrapped in bacon, and grilled;
Fresh figs stuffed with chevre, drizzled with balsamic vinegar, and grilled;
Homemade sourdough rolls;
Appleton rum bundt cake (my specialty).

Guests bring finger foods, sides, and beverages.

holy wow does that menu sound awesome.

Wow, that sounds amazingly delicious. I'd be ecstatic to have that for my birthday.

I wouldn't mind taking a stab at cooking something like that either, but I'm surrounded by non-adventurous and picky eaters.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

I am a fan of caramel fig and cheese empanadas myself.

They are ALMOST worthy of being called a Freehold Snack.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Empanadas are amazing. Having a best friend who is Colombian was a blessing growing up!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:

The man is right. Corsets and Renaissance Fairs go together like...smooshed boobs and a corset, frankly.

To be Sex/Gender Inclusive, I'd like to point out it also goes together like smooshed dong and a codpiece, but I know what Freehold pays more attention to.

If the old chap is getting smushed up in yer codpiece, you're gonna need a bigger 'piece...


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

What I should have said is if I spend all my money on revenge jesters then I wouldn't have any money to spend on the family.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:
What I should have said is if I spend all my money on revenge jesters then I wouldn't have any money to spend on the family.

...she found out about the earlier post, huh?

Also, revenge jesters sound like a REALLY COOL idea.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

No, my earlier post was hasty due to me being ankle deep in mud and manure, so I had only a moment to post.

Knowing the General she's more likely to get a suacy skirt or something like that, either way it's her choice.


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

And yes, as soon as I typed revenge jesters I knew I was on to something special.

Now I know my bard for 2nd edition.

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.
LordSynos wrote:
**Steam Spoiler**

I feel a little ill.

Spoiler:
Recently, a number of documents and shortcuts went missing from my desktop. I didn't think much of it at the time, because I couldn't put my finger on what was missing, so figured nothing important was. But it's gone. The original copy of the list, the one with all the keys. Gone.

T_T


1 person marked this as a favorite.
LordSynos wrote:
LordSynos wrote:
**Steam Spoiler**

I feel a little ill.

** spoiler omitted **

;_;


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Limeylongears wrote:
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:
To be Sex/Gender Inclusive, I'd like to point out it also goes together like smooshed dong and a codpiece, but I know what Freehold pays more attention to.
If the old chap is getting smushed up in yer codpiece, you're gonna need a bigger 'piece...

[Australian] Ah, I see you've played Knifey-Spooney Codpiecey before. [/Australian]


LordSynos wrote:
LordSynos wrote:
**Steam Spoiler**

I feel a little ill.

** spoiler omitted **

Oh, my dude, I'm so sorry.

>:/

You okay? Do you know what happened or how?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I've never had an empanada.


captain yesterday wrote:
I've never had an empanada.

They're pretty great!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
LordSynos wrote:
LordSynos wrote:
**Steam Spoiler**

I feel a little ill.

** spoiler omitted **

what happened there?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Giving Air Gear another run through.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Back at the office, because that's just the way this job rolls.

Also, I got out of getting sent back to VA for the third time in three months.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:
Also, I got out of getting sent back to VA for the third time in three months.

Now I'm starting to wonder: are you an IT dude who regularly finds himself in the Virgina ("Vor...ginya. Vorginya!") office, or are you actually in Virgina always dreaming of escaping to elsewhere and periodically waking?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I could really go for a massage.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

About to clock out. Good night, everyone.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

My deaf girlfriend was talking in her sleep all last night. She damned near poked my eye out.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Why do people call David Hasselhoff "The Hoff"? Because it's less of a hassle.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I thinking of selling my theremin. I haven't touched it in years.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
"Crocodile" Mika Dundee wrote:
Limeylongears wrote:
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:
To be Sex/Gender Inclusive, I'd like to point out it also goes together like smooshed dong and a codpiece, but I know what Freehold pays more attention to.
If the old chap is getting smushed up in yer codpiece, you're gonna need a bigger 'piece...
[Australian] Ah, I see you've played Knifey-Spooney Codpiecey before. [/Australian]

Yeah, but I wouldn't recommend it to any but the most adventurous...

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber
LordSynos wrote:
LordSynos wrote:
**Steam Spoiler**

I feel a little ill.

** spoiler omitted **

Aw man that sucks :(

Scarab Sages

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber

Temperatures here have dropped nicely, and I'm feeling a lot better because of it.
Also, since its autumn-y now, all the spiders have come out in the garden :D

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Morning FaWtL folk! Hope everyone is well today, and has a good one ahead of them. :)

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
LordSynos wrote:
LordSynos wrote:
**Steam Spoiler**

I feel a little ill.

** spoiler omitted **

Oh, my dude, I'm so sorry.

>:/

You okay? Do you know what happened or how?

Freehold DM wrote:
LordSynos wrote:
LordSynos wrote:
**Steam Spoiler**

I feel a little ill.

** spoiler omitted **

what happened there?

Not rightly sure what happened, unfortunately. I ran a windows update and the next time it turned on, half my desktop icons were gone. That was a few weeks ago now, at least. I just didn't think much of it at the time, because I couldn't remember what all of the icons were, to know which ones were missing. It was only when I went to update it yesterday that I realised that the file was one of the ones that was now gone.

At the end of the day, they were just games. Duplicates of games I already owned, in fact. It's upsetting, as I wanted to share them, but it's not the end of the world. In fact, I'm already putting together a plan to remake it, using my google drive version as a reference file to know which games I need to search my Humble account for the keys of. Theoretically, it can be remade, it'll just wind up with some/a lot of duplicate/already used keys on it, that I'll just need to test on other people over time to narrow down. :P


4 people marked this as a favorite.
LordSynos wrote:
LordSynos wrote:
**Steam Spoiler**

I feel a little ill.

** spoiler omitted **

All the keys from Humble Bundle that weren't activated yet should be accessible from your Humble Bundle account.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Starting a new project.

I wonder what I'll get to destroy today.

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Drejk wrote:
LordSynos wrote:
LordSynos wrote:
**Steam Spoiler**

I feel a little ill.

** spoiler omitted **

All the keys from Humble Bundle that weren't activated yet should be accessible from your Humble Bundle account.

True, but because of how I maintained the list, all the keys are "claimed". I was just giving away the ones it then wouldn't let me activate on Steam, because I already owned the game in question.

When you have 2,980 games on Steam, the easiest way to check if you owned a game or not was to just try and claim the key. :P

So, that'll show me how many keys I have for a game, but not which ones have actually already been used, either by me, or by being gifted to others. Hence the trial and error that I'll probably have to go through.

Better than losing the whole thing though!

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

5 people marked this as a favorite.
LordSynos wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:
LordSynos wrote:
LordSynos wrote:
**Steam Spoiler**

I feel a little ill.

** spoiler omitted **

Oh, my dude, I'm so sorry.

>:/

You okay? Do you know what happened or how?

Freehold DM wrote:
LordSynos wrote:
LordSynos wrote:
**Steam Spoiler**

I feel a little ill.

** spoiler omitted **

what happened there?

Not rightly sure what happened, unfortunately. I ran a windows update and the next time it turned on, half my desktop icons were gone. That was a few weeks ago now, at least. I just didn't think much of it at the time, because I couldn't remember what all of the icons were, to know which ones were missing. It was only when I went to update it yesterday that I realised that the file was one of the ones that was now gone.

At the end of the day, they were just games. Duplicates of games I already owned, in fact. It's upsetting, as I wanted to share them, but it's not the end of the world. In fact, I'm already putting together a plan to remake it, using my google drive version as a reference file to know which games I need to search my Humble account for the keys of. Theoretically, it can be remade, it'll just wind up with some/a lot of duplicate/already used keys on it, that I'll just need to test on other people over time to narrow down. :P

That really sucks. Sounds like overzealous Windows Desktop Cleanup Tool more than hacker, at least (definitely hope it wasn't a hack!). I wonder if you can check your settings for that and see if there's a restore point. Dumb question, but anything in the recycle bin?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Woran wrote:

Temperatures here have dropped nicely, and I'm feeling a lot better because of it.

Also, since its autumn-y now, all the spiders have come out in the garden :D

my time is drawing ever closer.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

In the name of Lloth, you fight!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Limeylongears wrote:
In the name of Lloth, you fight!

NEVER! We fight in the name of winter and winter alone!

FOR THE SNOW!


4 people marked this as a favorite.

So, the single-most-frustrating thing about working for Global Megacorporation is that we could have a really really great product that let us conquer the world, but incompetent executive management combined with apathetic software engineers renders our software a constantly bug-ridden, difficult-to-use mess. Shiro put it well: "Yeah, if your guys were competent your company would dominate the world, so it's a good thing they're not."

I filed a bug. "This extremely commonly-used field isn't working in filtering, and that's a major issue."
Dev's response? "That field doesn't exist."

I had to ADD A FRICKING SCREENSHOT to prove that the field existed.

I mean, seriously.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

So, the single-most-frustrating thing about working for Global Megacorporation is that we could have a really really great product that let us conquer the world, but incompetent executive management combined with apathetic software engineers renders our software a constantly bug-ridden, difficult-to-use mess. Shiro put it well: "Yeah, if your guys were competent your company would dominate the world, so it's a good thing they're not."

I filed a bug. "This extremely commonly-used field isn't working in filtering, and that's a major issue."
Dev's response? "That field doesn't exist."

I had to ADD A FRICKING SCREENSHOT to prove that the field existed.

I mean, seriously.

<.<

>.>

Are you working for Microsoft?


6 people marked this as a favorite.
Drejk wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:

So, the single-most-frustrating thing about working for Global Megacorporation is that we could have a really really great product that let us conquer the world, but incompetent executive management combined with apathetic software engineers renders our software a constantly bug-ridden, difficult-to-use mess. Shiro put it well: "Yeah, if your guys were competent your company would dominate the world, so it's a good thing they're not."

I filed a bug. "This extremely commonly-used field isn't working in filtering, and that's a major issue."
Dev's response? "That field doesn't exist."

I had to ADD A FRICKING SCREENSHOT to prove that the field existed.

I mean, seriously.

<.<

>.>

Are you working for Microsoft?

Oh, it gets better and better.

Dev: That field doesn't exist. User error.
NH: Here's a screenshot of the field.
Dev: Ok, well that field doesn't exist on MY environment.
NH: Here's a screenshot of the field on your environment.
Dev: (Long-suffering sigh) Oh, OK. I guess I'll re-open the bug.

So, if I were an executive, I'd have someone scanning bugs for this level of incompetence, and that guy would be out of a job come Monday. But I'm not, so he'll remain employed and incompetent, making our product worse for years to come...


4 people marked this as a favorite.

I will never stop describing Tom Sawyer as that one kid who means no one is allowed to watch wrestling because he has to copy all the cool stuff he sees on TV.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
Drejk wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:

So, the single-most-frustrating thing about working for Global Megacorporation is that we could have a really really great product that let us conquer the world, but incompetent executive management combined with apathetic software engineers renders our software a constantly bug-ridden, difficult-to-use mess. Shiro put it well: "Yeah, if your guys were competent your company would dominate the world, so it's a good thing they're not."

I filed a bug. "This extremely commonly-used field isn't working in filtering, and that's a major issue."
Dev's response? "That field doesn't exist."

I had to ADD A FRICKING SCREENSHOT to prove that the field existed.

I mean, seriously.

<.<

>.>

Are you working for Microsoft?

Oh, it gets better and better.

Dev: That field doesn't exist. User error.
NH: Here's a screenshot of the field.
Dev: Ok, well that field doesn't exist on MY environment.
NH: Here's a screenshot of the field on your environment.
Dev: (Long-suffering sigh) Oh, OK. I guess I'll re-open the bug.

So, if I were an executive, I'd have someone scanning bugs for this level of incompetence, and that guy would be out of a job come Monday. But I'm not, so he'll remain employed and incompetent, making our product worse for years to come...

I've had dealings with an individual from a branch of Global Megacorp. I find him to be substandard in his knowledge of security. Somehow he thinks sending financial files over plain text FTP is perfectly fine. I've been trying to explain to him what that actually means and he's just like, "Yeah, it's the same method it was using before, it's just that you've changed your rules to detect it and now you're seeing the warning. But it's fine."

No. No it's not fine.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

We're working at the house of the Feng Shui Queen of Madison.

This should be fun.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:
I will never stop describing Tom Sawyer as that one kid who means no one is allowed to watch wrestling because he has to copy all the cool stuff he sees on TV.

...that's surprisingly accurate.

232,601 to 232,650 of 236,804 << first < prev | 4648 | 4649 | 4650 | 4651 | 4652 | 4653 | 4654 | 4655 | 4656 | 4657 | 4658 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.