Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

232,301 to 232,350 of 236,576 << first < prev | 4642 | 4643 | 4644 | 4645 | 4646 | 4647 | 4648 | 4649 | 4650 | 4651 | 4652 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
Vanykrye wrote:

OMFG

Have you turned it off and on?

"Am I allowed to do that? I don't want to break anything."

...
...
...
...
...
...
...
That person has been here 22 years, and is unsure if she's allowed...no...just no...

My counterpart in another division had this conversation with one of his team members today:

Counterpart: Check the Unix tab in AD, make sure it's enabled.

Tech: I didn't see a Unix tab??

CP: I got it. Have her try now.

Tech: Using her new Win password?

CP: Of course...

Tech: Ok, thank you.

No Random Technician, tell them to use a previous password from 6 months and 2 jobs ago.

I'd start swearing, but there aren't enough special characters on this keyboard to convey it properly, and I don't want to track down all the alt-codes.

in the defense of the two people above, the main job is very much like this.

For the first situation, things have calmed down A LOT over the past...I want to say 5 years or so, but due to the way that our policy with respect to internet usage specifically is worded, there is a very strong "if it's broken, it's YOUR FAULT, IT will fix it if and when they feel like it so DONT TOUCH ANYTHING YOU DONT NORMALLY TOUCH and for the love of $DEITY, ONLY DO WHAT IT TELLS YOU TO DO WHEN YOU ARE ON THE PHONE WITH THEM!!!!** spoiler omitted **" philosophy. I have also seen people get written up for doing so much as bringing a USB drive from home, the company is so protective of its technology. Then again the main job is a VERY OLD company and is still struggling to update its technology, as you may have surmised from earlier posts.

For the second part, on the main job there was another longstanding policy(yes, before anyone asks, we did have to sign off on it and a copy went to Legal) of using different passwords for signing on the computer vs. signing into another program/websites we use for training we use for our job. I almost got written up with threat of review...

It's cute when you play devil's advocate. ;) Aiymi used to try playing devil's advocate with me on several of these cases. She thought I was exaggerating for effect. Then I showed her the actual emails (redacted) and screenshots of the actual submitted tickets. She's long since given up. I had one guy submit a ticket asking me to reboot the internet because he couldn't get to a specific website. The others were fine, but you know, since this one doesn't work we need to reboot the entire internet. Yeah, I immediately thought of that episode from The IT Crowd too.

First person was asking permission to turn a computer off. And back on. Of course they have permission to reboot their own computers. If it doesn't turn back on, well, that's electronics and it happens more often than people want to really know. They just can't leave them turned off overnight. And she's been here more than four times longer than I have, which is well more than long enough to know that.

Second person is one of our own IT employees, who needed clarification of *which* Windows password a particular user needed to use. They only have the one. The current one. In this company there's only one rare situation where you would need to know your immediately previous password, and this most definitely is not it. And the IT tech who has been here close to a year really ought to know that, since they're paid to know exactly that kind of information.


TriOmegaZero wrote:
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:
TOZ - What did you think of Tactics Ogre?
Knight of Lodis was great.

Is that your subtle way of saying you didn't like my recommendation of the PSP remake of Let Us Cling Together?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
...I have also seen people get written up for doing so much as bringing a USB drive from home...

Er, I'd FIRE someone for that on the spot, not just write them up.

That's how corporate networks get compromised. One home user bringing an infected USB drive inside the corporate network, allowing a malicious virus to spread unchecked.

Just Google "USB Drive Compromise". You'll get articles like this one.

At my old company, we disabled all USB ports at the BIOS level because the problem was so widespread (we had LOTS of proprietary military-grade secrets).

Banning USB drives isn't a joke; it's an absolute necessity. They're the second-biggest security hole out there. (Human beings being the first. And it takes humans to transport USB drives.)

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

And my company handles patient data. We have the USB ports blocked on 3 different levels.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Wait, now The I-Land is a eco-morality piece? Also about ethics in prison treatment? What the whaaaaaaaaaaaat.

... a rather lame ending. (E2: Not because it's about ethics or morals or whatever, but just because of how it handles everything.)

So, back to the original opinion - not... not great.

DC-S, however, continues to be amazing. So... so... I can't even. It's just... guys. Guys, the bad guy says, "So watch as your precious world is reduced to a scene of chaos." to which the good guy says, "Die you devil!" Guys, they actually say that to each other. And they don't even start battling right away! There are several more lines of dialogue, first!

Just... guys! I mean! What!

NobodysHome wrote:

Er, I'd FIRE someone for that on the spot, not just write them up.

That's how corporate networks get compromised. One home user bringing an infected USB drive inside the corporate network, allowing a malicious virus to spread unchecked.

Just Google "USB Drive Compromise". You'll get articles like this one.

At my old company, we disabled all USB ports at the BIOS level because the problem was so widespread (we had LOTS of proprietary military-grade secrets).

Banning USB drives isn't a joke; it's an absolute necessity. They're the second-biggest security hole out there. (Human beings being the first. And it takes humans to transport USB drives.)

You know, it's funny - I'd been wondering what secrets high-end tech organizations have against accidentally-infected USB drives. "Fire the guy who brought them." As much sense as it makes, it's vaguely disappointing that techno-wizardry isn't advanced enough to annihilate other peoples' evil techno-wizardry. Dang it! I want abjuration to be cool!

EDIT:

Vanykrye wrote:
top page comment

Cleary Vany feels strongly about things, too!

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:
TriOmegaZero wrote:
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:
TOZ - What did you think of Tactics Ogre?
Knight of Lodis was great.
Is that your subtle way of saying you didn't like my recommendation of the PSP remake of Let Us Cling Together?

3/4ths of my house is in boxes. I'm not even sure where my PSP is at the moment.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
...I have also seen people get written up for doing so much as bringing a USB drive from home...

Er, I'd FIRE someone for that on the spot, not just write them up.

That's how corporate networks get compromised. One home user bringing an infected USB drive inside the corporate network, allowing a malicious virus to spread unchecked.

Just Google "USB Drive Compromise". You'll get articles like this one.

At my old company, we disabled all USB ports at the BIOS level because the problem was so widespread (we had LOTS of proprietary military-grade secrets).

Banning USB drives isn't a joke; it's an absolute necessity. They're the second-biggest security hole out there. (Human beings being the first. And it takes humans to transport USB drives.)

no, I mean they brought it from home.

It was not to be used on any computers. It was a part of their house keys.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Vanykrye wrote:

OMFG

Have you turned it off and on?

"Am I allowed to do that? I don't want to break anything."

...
...
...
...
...
...
...
That person has been here 22 years, and is unsure if she's allowed...no...just no...

My counterpart in another division had this conversation with one of his team members today:

Counterpart: Check the Unix tab in AD, make sure it's enabled.

Tech: I didn't see a Unix tab??

CP: I got it. Have her try now.

Tech: Using her new Win password?

CP: Of course...

Tech: Ok, thank you.

No Random Technician, tell them to use a previous password from 6 months and 2 jobs ago.

I'd start swearing, but there aren't enough special characters on this keyboard to convey it properly, and I don't want to track down all the alt-codes.

in the defense of the two people above, the main job is very much like this.

For the first situation, things have calmed down A LOT over the past...I want to say 5 years or so, but due to the way that our policy with respect to internet usage specifically is worded, there is a very strong "if it's broken, it's YOUR FAULT, IT will fix it if and when they feel like it so DONT TOUCH ANYTHING YOU DONT NORMALLY TOUCH and for the love of $DEITY, ONLY DO WHAT IT TELLS YOU TO DO WHEN YOU ARE ON THE PHONE WITH THEM!!!!** spoiler omitted **" philosophy. I have also seen people get written up for doing so much as bringing a USB drive from home, the company is so protective of its technology. Then again the main job is a VERY OLD company and is still struggling to update its technology, as you may have surmised from earlier posts.

For the second part, on the main job there was another longstanding policy(yes, before anyone asks, we did have to sign off on it and a copy went to Legal) of using different passwords for signing on the computer vs. signing into another program/websites we use for training we use for our job. I almost got written up with threat of review...

It's cute when you play devil's advocate. ;)

blinks slowly, turns down black manliness to more sane levels

Put your pants back on. And reboot the internet, dammit!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
...I have also seen people get written up for doing so much as bringing a USB drive from home...

Er, I'd FIRE someone for that on the spot, not just write them up.

That's how corporate networks get compromised. One home user bringing an infected USB drive inside the corporate network, allowing a malicious virus to spread unchecked.

Just Google "USB Drive Compromise". You'll get articles like this one.

At my old company, we disabled all USB ports at the BIOS level because the problem was so widespread (we had LOTS of proprietary military-grade secrets).

Banning USB drives isn't a joke; it's an absolute necessity. They're the second-biggest security hole out there. (Human beings being the first. And it takes humans to transport USB drives.)

no, I mean they brought it from home.

It was not to be used on any computers. It was a part of their house keys.

Yeah, that's still a violation, and the very root of the problem. Just having it is considered a risk. If they didn't bring it, it couldn't be used at all. But they brought it, thereby increasing the risk of it being used by *anybody* who could get to it.

We don't allow our reps to even have their phone out at their desk.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
Vanykrye wrote:
It's cute when you play devil's advocate. ;)

blinks slowly, turns down black manliness to more sane levels

Put your pants back on. And reboot the internet, dammit!

Just for clarity...which order do you want me to do those things in?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
You know, it's funny - I'd been wondering what secrets high-end tech organizations have against accidentally-infected USB drives. "Fire the guy who brought them." As much sense as it makes, it's vaguely disappointing that techno-wizardry isn't advanced enough to annihilate other peoples' evil techno-wizardry. Dang it! I want abjuration to be cool!

The problem is that:

(1) Corporations still use Microsoft Windows
(2) Microsoft always chooses user convenience over security
(3) Even if IT goes to all the trouble to disable Autorun, macros, and all the other nonsense, end users will still click, "Yes, please enable macros for this file" because Microsoft turned security into a neverending task of clicking, "Yes, I really want to do that" to every single pop-up that shows up. So even when an actual bad one shows up, users are SO trained to say, "Yes, go ahead" that the dialogs are meaningless.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

Oh, yes, please reboot the internet! That Izzard guy went and deleted it, and I'm stuck!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:
You know, it's funny - I'd been wondering what secrets high-end tech organizations have against accidentally-infected USB drives. "Fire the guy who brought them." As much sense as it makes, it's vaguely disappointing that techno-wizardry isn't advanced enough to annihilate other peoples' evil techno-wizardry. Dang it! I want abjuration to be cool!

The problem is that:

(1) Corporations still use Microsoft Windows
(2) Microsoft always chooses user convenience over security
(3) Even if IT goes to all the trouble to disable Autorun, macros, and all the other nonsense, end users will still click, "Yes, please enable macros for this file" because Microsoft turned security into a neverending task of clicking, "Yes, I really want to do that" to every single pop-up that shows up. So even when an actual bad one shows up, users are SO trained to say, "Yes, go ahead" that the dialogs are meaningless.

1) Too much inertia. Getting a user base to switch to a non-Microsoft based software suite (whether it be the OS, Office, Visio, whatever) is next to impossible without a mass revolt, sometimes getting IT leadership fired for their efforts.

2 & 3) Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn't differentiate the features and behaviors of Windows 10 Home, Pro, and Enterprise enough. The prompts and hand-holding on a Home edition makes some sense (for various definitions of both "some" and "sense"), but on the Enterprise edition they should scale that stuff way back and make it more security-hardened by default. This one is admittedly tricky because there is a fine line between security and usability/productivity. Usability/productivity frequently wins out.


8 people marked this as a favorite.

Fact: It is raining.
Fact: The track team is practicing inside today.
Fact: This involves taking laps right by my classroom.
Fact: I am a troll.

Conclusion: Nothing weirds the kids out more than their English teacher suddenly jogging in pace with them. In a dress.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
...I have also seen people get written up for doing so much as bringing a USB drive from home...

Er, I'd FIRE someone for that on the spot, not just write them up.

That's how corporate networks get compromised. One home user bringing an infected USB drive inside the corporate network, allowing a malicious virus to spread unchecked.

Just Google "USB Drive Compromise". You'll get articles like this one.

At my old company, we disabled all USB ports at the BIOS level because the problem was so widespread (we had LOTS of proprietary military-grade secrets).

Banning USB drives isn't a joke; it's an absolute necessity. They're the second-biggest security hole out there. (Human beings being the first. And it takes humans to transport USB drives.)

no, I mean they brought it from home.

It was not to be used on any computers. It was a part of their house keys.

Yeah, that's still a violation, and the very root of the problem. Just having it is considered a risk. If they didn't bring it, it couldn't be used at all. But they brought it, thereby increasing the risk of it being used by *anybody* who could get to it.

We don't allow our reps to even have their phone out at their desk.

Yeah, I gotta side with Vany and NH here. Unsecured USB ports on networked computers is a guaranteed timebomb, not if but when. It's hard enough catching/blocking malicious links in emails, training users not to click links that they aren't ABSOLUTELY sure are safe, training users not to be tricked into rerouting outside calls through expensive overseas billing codes, and training them not to be tricked into getting expensive/marked-up bulk orders of printer toner/PC consumables shipped in without introducing yet another vector. Everywhere I've worked on a business computer, PCs had to be locked down to protect the company intranet and data from the users.

I was in QA for software updates, and even as a very experienced (and paranoid) IT person, it was almost pulling teeth to get the OK to unlock a port for my one PC. Even then, I volunteered to use Laplink* over the LPT1 (old printer ports) on my Windows Vista networked PC to make it simpler.

* I got pulled aside from the head of HR and the 2nd of building IT to be more discreet about my use of Laplink because it made a barely-able-to-use-his-own-PC ("Why can't we just use Apple?") manager jealous that I a ("But she's just a lowly tech") had seen me have access when he couldn't. I hadn't done anything wrong, but from then on I had to be paranoid about watching for his/his lackies' presence when I used it and keep the cable locked in my desk the rest of the time.


6 people marked this as a favorite.
Freakazoid wrote:
Oh, yes, please reboot the internet! That Izzard guy went and deleted it, and I'm stuck!

MWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA! No pictures of cats or penne all'arrabiata for you!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:

Fact: It is raining.

Fact: The track team is practicing inside today.
Fact: This involves taking laps right by my classroom.
Fact: I am a troll.

Conclusion: Nothing weirds the kids out more than their English teacher suddenly jogging in pace with them. In a dress.

I love you more and more.

In a completely unrelated but maybe tangentially related thought:

I'm reminded of my mother's teaching days - she told a kid "If you don't shut up, I'm going to have you spend your entire detention running laps around the track."

Said kid decided speaking was the correct answer to this. "You can't do that! You're not a coach! Only the coaches can make us run laps!"

Oh, you poor deluded fool. Stupid, stupid boy.

Laps were ran. Many, many laps.

And then he ran some more because the coaches had some rules about missing practice due to a detention.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:
Scintillae wrote:

Fact: It is raining.

Fact: The track team is practicing inside today.
Fact: This involves taking laps right by my classroom.
Fact: I am a troll.

Conclusion: Nothing weirds the kids out more than their English teacher suddenly jogging in pace with them. In a dress.

I love you more and more.

In a completely unrelated but maybe tangentially related thought:

I'm reminded of my mother's teaching days - she told a kid "If you don't shut up, I'm going to have you spend your entire detention running laps around the track."

Said kid decided speaking was the correct answer to this. "You can't do that! You're not a coach! Only the coaches can make us run laps!"

Oh, you poor deluded fool. Stupid, stupid boy.

Laps were ran. Many, many laps.

And then he ran some more because the coaches had some rules about missing practice due to a detention.

Ha.

Well, this one was due to coincidental timing. I was stepping out to go get something from the printer...right as one of my kids had jumped up to touch the banner right by my door. So I thought it would be funny to pretend to chase him...until I got to the staff lounge door. I was right; it was hilarious.

As I was leaving the staff lounge with my copies, a few more of my kiddos were running by, one complaining she couldn't go any faster. So I started jogging with them, complete with comments of "Sure you can. I'm keeping up, and I'm not even dressed for this!"

They've all long since accepted I'm weird.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Eddie Lizzard wrote:
Freakazoid wrote:
Oh, yes, please reboot the internet! That Izzard guy went and deleted it, and I'm stuck!
MWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA! No pictures of cats or penne all'arrabiata for you!

Excuse me?! Picture of cats and pe... *looks more closely* oh.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:
Scintillae wrote:

Fact: It is raining.

Fact: The track team is practicing inside today.
Fact: This involves taking laps right by my classroom.
Fact: I am a troll.

Conclusion: Nothing weirds the kids out more than their English teacher suddenly jogging in pace with them. In a dress.

I love you more and more.

In a completely unrelated but maybe tangentially related thought:

I'm reminded of my mother's teaching days - she told a kid "If you don't shut up, I'm going to have you spend your entire detention running laps around the track."

Said kid decided speaking was the correct answer to this. "You can't do that! You're not a coach! Only the coaches can make us run laps!"

Oh, you poor deluded fool. Stupid, stupid boy.

Laps were ran. Many, many laps.

And then he ran some more because the coaches had some rules about missing practice due to a detention.

Hypothetically, what would happen if said child sat on his ass and said "I refuse" to any orders of physical exercise?


10 people marked this as a favorite.

OK, that was "fun".

Robocall: Congratulations! Due to your excellent credit history and on-time payments, you've earned 0% on all your credit cards! To take advantage of this offer, press 1!
NobodysHome: (beep)
Scammer: Can I have your name, please?
NH: Er, no. I'd like YOU to tell ME my name.
S: What?
NH: If you're calling me because of my excellent credit history, you obviously know my name...
(click)


4 people marked this as a favorite.
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:
Vanykrye wrote:
Scintillae wrote:

Fact: It is raining.

Fact: The track team is practicing inside today.
Fact: This involves taking laps right by my classroom.
Fact: I am a troll.

Conclusion: Nothing weirds the kids out more than their English teacher suddenly jogging in pace with them. In a dress.

I love you more and more.

In a completely unrelated but maybe tangentially related thought:

I'm reminded of my mother's teaching days - she told a kid "If you don't shut up, I'm going to have you spend your entire detention running laps around the track."

Said kid decided speaking was the correct answer to this. "You can't do that! You're not a coach! Only the coaches can make us run laps!"

Oh, you poor deluded fool. Stupid, stupid boy.

Laps were ran. Many, many laps.

And then he ran some more because the coaches had some rules about missing practice due to a detention.

Hypothetically, what would happen if said child sat on his ass and said "I refuse" to any orders of physical exercise?

In theory? Benched for the next game, probably.

In practice? WeLl He'S tHe StAr QuArTeRbAcK, sO iT's FiNe.


Scintillae wrote:
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:
Vanykrye wrote:
Scintillae wrote:

Fact: It is raining.

Fact: The track team is practicing inside today.
Fact: This involves taking laps right by my classroom.
Fact: I am a troll.

Conclusion: Nothing weirds the kids out more than their English teacher suddenly jogging in pace with them. In a dress.

I love you more and more.

In a completely unrelated but maybe tangentially related thought:

I'm reminded of my mother's teaching days - she told a kid "If you don't shut up, I'm going to have you spend your entire detention running laps around the track."

Said kid decided speaking was the correct answer to this. "You can't do that! You're not a coach! Only the coaches can make us run laps!"

Oh, you poor deluded fool. Stupid, stupid boy.

Laps were ran. Many, many laps.

And then he ran some more because the coaches had some rules about missing practice due to a detention.

Hypothetically, what would happen if said child sat on his ass and said "I refuse" to any orders of physical exercise?
In theory? Benched for the next game, probably.

So what you're saying is there's no way they can make a non-athlete do it?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:
Scintillae wrote:
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:
Vanykrye wrote:
Scintillae wrote:

Fact: It is raining.

Fact: The track team is practicing inside today.
Fact: This involves taking laps right by my classroom.
Fact: I am a troll.

Conclusion: Nothing weirds the kids out more than their English teacher suddenly jogging in pace with them. In a dress.

I love you more and more.

In a completely unrelated but maybe tangentially related thought:

I'm reminded of my mother's teaching days - she told a kid "If you don't shut up, I'm going to have you spend your entire detention running laps around the track."

Said kid decided speaking was the correct answer to this. "You can't do that! You're not a coach! Only the coaches can make us run laps!"

Oh, you poor deluded fool. Stupid, stupid boy.

Laps were ran. Many, many laps.

And then he ran some more because the coaches had some rules about missing practice due to a detention.

Hypothetically, what would happen if said child sat on his ass and said "I refuse" to any orders of physical exercise?
In theory? Benched for the next game, probably.
So what you're saying is there's no way they can make a non-athlete do it?

Based on that conversation, I think it happened because the kid was an athlete.


I'm just saying score one for the non-athletic rebels!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:
Vanykrye wrote:
Scintillae wrote:

Fact: It is raining.

Fact: The track team is practicing inside today.
Fact: This involves taking laps right by my classroom.
Fact: I am a troll.

Conclusion: Nothing weirds the kids out more than their English teacher suddenly jogging in pace with them. In a dress.

I love you more and more.

In a completely unrelated but maybe tangentially related thought:

I'm reminded of my mother's teaching days - she told a kid "If you don't shut up, I'm going to have you spend your entire detention running laps around the track."

Said kid decided speaking was the correct answer to this. "You can't do that! You're not a coach! Only the coaches can make us run laps!"

Oh, you poor deluded fool. Stupid, stupid boy.

Laps were ran. Many, many laps.

And then he ran some more because the coaches had some rules about missing practice due to a detention.

Hypothetically, what would happen if said child sat on his ass and said "I refuse" to any orders of physical exercise?

In theory? Benched for the next game, probably.

In practice? WeLl He'S tHe StAr QuArTeRbAcK, sO iT's FiNe.

Not at our school.

From Mom's side, he'd get a second detention. Then a third. After that is a 1-day in school suspension. At that point he wouldn't have to run laps, but further incidents would lead to more stringent punishment up to being expelled, eventually.

From the coaches' side of the equation, he'd miss a game after missing two practices. If he continued on to get the suspension he'd be off the team.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

So, does anyone have an honest explanation for this, because it baffles me. (And of course since the predictions change, the links may or may not be relevant.)

If I look at Weather Underground's Daily Forecast, it predicts a high of 88°F today.

But if I look at the Hourly Forecast, it predicts a high of 84°F today.

On the other hand, if I look at the 10-day Forecast, it predicts a high of 94°F today.

So, while I accept that weather prediction is an inexact science, how can the same prediction engine predict three different highs for the same day, differing by as much at 10°F?

I am... perplexed.

EDIT: So, we had a "freak peak". 80°F at 1:30 pm. 96°F at 2:45 pm. Down to 93°F already. But I was pretty happy when my two thermometers read 96°F and 95°F, and Wunderground reported 93°F at the shore. I'm feeling somewhat accurate... :P


4 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

So, does anyone have an honest explanation for this, because it baffles me. (And of course since the predictions change, the links may or may not be relevant.)

If I look at Weather Underground's Daily Forecast, it predicts a high of 88°F today.

But if I look at the Hourly Forecast, it predicts a high of 84°F today.

On the other hand, if I look at the 10-day Forecast, it predicts a high of 94°F today.

So, while I accept that weather prediction is an inexact science, how can the same prediction engine predict three different highs for the same day, differing by as much at 10°F?

I am... perplexed.

Because it's California, and they don't want to restrict the weather's freedom of self-determination and saddle an extremely young entity with a restrictive label like that.

No?

This is usually when Zelda gets the water gun out.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:

Fact: It is raining.

Fact: The track team is practicing inside today.
Fact: This involves taking laps right by my classroom.
Fact: I am a troll.

Conclusion: Nothing weirds the kids out more than their English teacher suddenly jogging in pace with them. In a dress.

this has me thinking of the vast differences between 1st edition, 2nd edition, 4th edition and 5th edition takes on goblinization.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:
Scintillae wrote:

Fact: It is raining.

Fact: The track team is practicing inside today.
Fact: This involves taking laps right by my classroom.
Fact: I am a troll.

Conclusion: Nothing weirds the kids out more than their English teacher suddenly jogging in pace with them. In a dress.

I love you more and more.

In a completely unrelated but maybe tangentially related thought:

I'm reminded of my mother's teaching days - she told a kid "If you don't shut up, I'm going to have you spend your entire detention running laps around the track."

Said kid decided speaking was the correct answer to this. "You can't do that! You're not a coach! Only the coaches can make us run laps!"

Oh, you poor deluded fool. Stupid, stupid boy.

Laps were ran. Many, many laps.

And then he ran some more because the coaches had some rules about missing practice due to a detention.

Tell me you said this in your supervillain voice.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:

Might have a tag-issue, my dude.

EDIT: Uh... chronology is hopping around again. Silly Paizo. Time is supposed to be linear!

Nah, linearity of time is just a quirk of underdeveloped neurologies of pre-singularity meaty species.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

OK, that was "fun".

Robocall: Congratulations! Due to your excellent credit history and on-time payments, you've earned 0% on all your credit cards! To take advantage of this offer, press 1!
NobodysHome: (beep)
Scammer: Can I have your name, please?
NH: Er, no. I'd like YOU to tell ME my name.
S: What?
NH: If you're calling me because of my excellent credit history, you obviously know my name...
(click)

My patience with these liars and thieves has long expired. Instead of politeness, they get profanity.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
John Napier 698 wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:

OK, that was "fun".

Robocall: Congratulations! Due to your excellent credit history and on-time payments, you've earned 0% on all your credit cards! To take advantage of this offer, press 1!
NobodysHome: (beep)
Scammer: Can I have your name, please?
NH: Er, no. I'd like YOU to tell ME my name.
S: What?
NH: If you're calling me because of my excellent credit history, you obviously know my name...
(click)

My patience with these liars and thieves has long expired. Instead of politeness, they get profanity.

As I said, the second one I got yesterday got

Not Nice:
"I look forward to when your mother creeps up and strangles you in your own bed from shame."

Today it's too hot to be nasty.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Drejk wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:

Might have a tag-issue, my dude.

EDIT: Uh... chronology is hopping around again. Silly Paizo. Time is supposed to be linear!

Nah, linearity of time is just a quirk of underdeveloped neurologies of pre-singularity meaty species.

Oh, so it’s Jeremy Bearimy time for reality, then?


7 people marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:
They've all long since accepted I'm weird.

You realize that you're going to be the teacher all your students are going to remember fondly, right? :)


7 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Why living in the Midwest is like an episode of King of the Hill.

There are old people that watch practices for the local high school football team, with their own chairs even.

Practice, high school football.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Tacticslion wrote:
Drejk wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:

Might have a tag-issue, my dude.

EDIT: Uh... chronology is hopping around again. Silly Paizo. Time is supposed to be linear!

Nah, linearity of time is just a quirk of underdeveloped neurologies of pre-singularity meaty species.
Oh, so it’s Jeremy Bearimy time for reality, then?

I had nothing to do with it.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

...On the other hand, if I look at the 10-day Forecast, it predicts a high of 94°F today.

So, while I accept that weather prediction is an inexact science, how can the same prediction engine predict three different highs for the same day, differing by as much at 10°F?

I am... perplexed.

EDIT: So, we had a "freak peak". 80°F at 1:30 pm. 96°F at 2:45 pm. Down to 93°F already. But I was pretty happy when my two thermometers read 96°F and 95°F, and Wunderground reported 93°F at the shore. I'm feeling somewhat accurate... :P

There is one pitch-black, near-Vantablack, parking lot on Sanibel that is consistently 30F hotter or more than the surrounding air temperature. Which you really notice in mid-January, on breezy 65F days when suddenly, outside these particular shops it feels like a freaking sauna. The summer feels like Hell on earth.

Also, 96F is the threshold for murderously hot. Below that, people are just varying degrees of irritating. At 96F and above, people are lucky I don't murder them just for falling within my line-of-sight.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:

Fact: It is raining.

Fact: The track team is practicing inside today.
Fact: This involves taking laps right by my classroom.
Fact: I am a troll.

Conclusion: Nothing weirds the kids out more than their English teacher suddenly jogging in pace with them. In a dress.

Aren't you a bit short for a troll?

Shadow Lodge

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Drejk wrote:
Scintillae wrote:

Fact: It is raining.

Fact: The track team is practicing inside today.
Fact: This involves taking laps right by my classroom.
Fact: I am a troll.

Conclusion: Nothing weirds the kids out more than their English teacher suddenly jogging in pace with them. In a dress.

Aren't you a bit short for a troll?

Not a troll doll troll.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Drejk wrote:
Scintillae wrote:

Fact: It is raining.

Fact: The track team is practicing inside today.
Fact: This involves taking laps right by my classroom.
Fact: I am a troll.

Conclusion: Nothing weirds the kids out more than their English teacher suddenly jogging in pace with them. In a dress.

Aren't you a bit short for a troll?

under 4th and 5th ed rules she would be her height, maybe a shade taller, and look exactly like her herself with cosplay tusks and horns, perhaps the occasional wart. In 2nd ed, she would be the average height for a troll, maybe a little less, with a mouthful of tusks and broken teeth making her sound a bit less inflected in speech. In 1st ed she would be completely average troll height, and possibly and a bit dumber than usual. In 3rd, she would be rather(very) short for a troll, but of average scintellect(see what I did there)?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:

...On the other hand, if I look at the 10-day Forecast, it predicts a high of 94°F today.

So, while I accept that weather prediction is an inexact science, how can the same prediction engine predict three different highs for the same day, differing by as much at 10°F?

I am... perplexed.

EDIT: So, we had a "freak peak". 80°F at 1:30 pm. 96°F at 2:45 pm. Down to 93°F already. But I was pretty happy when my two thermometers read 96°F and 95°F, and Wunderground reported 93°F at the shore. I'm feeling somewhat accurate... :P

There is one pitch-black, near-Vantablack, parking lot on Sanibel that is consistently 30F hotter or more than the surrounding air temperature. Which you really notice in mid-January, on breezy 65F days when suddenly, outside these particular shops it feels like a freaking sauna. The summer feels like Hell on earth.

Also, 96F is the threshold for murderously hot. Below that, people are just varying degrees of irritating. At 96F and above, people are lucky I don't murder them just for falling within my line-of-sight.

researches air conditioned stealth suit for visiting Amby


4 people marked this as a favorite.

My Eldest has turned merchant! He is selling his rock collection and other things in a effort to gain cash toward the purchase of a Switch. He made 60 cents today.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I'm starting to feel better, unfortunately the pilot light on our hot water heater is not working so someone is fixing that tomorrow.

Considering how much I sweat when I'm ill this isn't ideal.

For other people, I still have almost no sense of smell so I'm good.


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I found the best way to defeat robocallers is to have a dump truck run over my phone.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

So, it turns out, Godzilla, King of the Monsters is NOT a movie that's easy to follow when you're sick.

Wait, who are these guys!? Why is the mom so stone cold? Why isn't Eleven snapping that dude's neck with her mind?.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Not getting early tomorrow. *yawn*

I should get some sleep though, because likely I will wake up early anyway...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:

So, it turns out, Godzilla, King of the Monsters is NOT a movie that's easy to follow when you're sick.

Wait, who are these guys!? Why is the mom so stone cold? Why isn't Eleven snapping that dude's neck with her mind?.

casts Heal on captainyesterday


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
My Eldest has turned merchant! He is selling his rock collection and other things in a effort to gain cash toward the purchase of a Switch. He made 60 cents today.

My youngest, by contrast, had this to note today:

- "There's Ganon right over there! And he's got three arms to he can wield three swords! HE'S GOT THREE SWORDS! GOTTA BEAT HIM, FAST! RRAAAAAGGGGHHH!"

(This was said in the halls of the school as we were waiting for the Eldest to finish his violin lesson.)

EDIT: And just now, at home (well after his bed time, but we just got back due to terrible traffic):

"I... must... learn... how... to... wield... FOUR... swords! I can't... grip all... four! I must learn how!"


Freehold DM wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:

So, it turns out, Godzilla, King of the Monsters is NOT a movie that's easy to follow when you're sick.

Wait, who are these guys!? Why is the mom so stone cold? Why isn't Eleven snapping that dude's neck with her mind?.

casts Heal on captainyesterday

Silly Freehold! That doesn't cure status ailments! That only heals some hit points!

/Jeanne d'Arc reference


Speaking of,

Tacticslion wrote:
Jeanne d'Arc

I ran into a random battle that is total and utter marlarkey. Just pure, grade-A nonsense.

So the local battles are with dudes what be about ~20-30 in this chapter, give or take. The (not-actually-) random battles are consistently lower level than the average chapter level.
The "random battle" aspect is called "free battle" because you can play the exact same battle freely over-and-over again. So I'll be calling it that.

So a new Free Battle location opened up. It was surprisingly tough! A bunch of powerful creatures and things that were all around level 40! Snap! But I'd leveled well and equipped the best, and made it through. Nice rewards, so I thought I'd go through again. But lo! NOPE! It's an entirely different battle. Now, this isn't uncommon for most games, but this battle has three level fifty creatures. Mind, exactly one of my characters has just made 40, and only because of that last battle. But that's okay. That's fiiiiiiiiiiiiiine, right? NO. I can't even hit the monsters, and if I do, then I do zero damage. The one exception? My archer. Ahah! I can damage them! Three damage at a time!

... and I have a total of thirty rounds to take them down.

... ... and they have more than 1,300 hit points... each.
This is an estimation, as I'm not looking at the battle.

... ... ... hhhhhhhhhhhhhuh.

It's a good thing I'd saved on the main map before even entering the place, instead of just in front of the battle, or I'd have lost my whole game permanently unable to defeat this thing!

I've checked around and it's a well known issue. "Yeah, that second battle type on that place sucks and the rewards aren't worth it, even if you succeed. Ignore it and move on." seems to be the strong general consensus. And if it were that, I would still have gone after it, just to try myself! ... but, no, it's entirely impossible, and I am grossly over-leveled for this part of the game already. Yikes.

EDIT: And, like, I get the putting a battle there to challenge you "for later" but the battle is so entirely unfair and entirely impossible to guess at, that it feels exceptionally out of place. And I already know the rewards I'd get from it just from the enemies there, and, yeah, the consensus is correct that there really isn't anything worth the trouble. And because of a quirk in the Jd'A game save system, you can accidentally soft-lock your game here. You shouldn't (because you should be making multiple save files), but it's very possible, especially for those who aren't used to that aspect of the game (such as newer players that this feels almost like it was made for, otherwise). It's such a punishing and un-fun combat that it's just... bizarre.

For those of you (Freehold) that may be playing this game, the location is called Altois Prairie. The first set is tough - much higher levels than you're used to, enemies with shockingly high evasion, and probably the first time you've faced "three sided" units (units that take up nine squares - three on each side). But careful use of magic and high-accuracy units plus cheesing the AI (kiting only the ones you want) can win you this one, even if you're not equal-level (I was close, and didn't come close to running out of the 35 rounds I was given to win). The second one is just nonsense.

232,301 to 232,350 of 236,576 << first < prev | 4642 | 4643 | 4644 | 4645 | 4646 | 4647 | 4648 | 4649 | 4650 | 4651 | 4652 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.