Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

232,251 to 232,300 of 236,752 << first < prev | 4641 | 4642 | 4643 | 4644 | 4645 | 4646 | 4647 | 4648 | 4649 | 4650 | 4651 | next > last >>

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I had thought Lisa Marlene's school's dress code was a recent addition with the new school year.

But yeah, in Wisconsin only the b~@+%@+ crazy religious schools have dress codes and they're only there to keep women down (I have yet to see a dress code geared towards men).

At any rate I feel pretty terrible today so I'm not really getting into a big discussion about it just that my opinion is colored by my upbringing.

Scarab Sages

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber
Freehold DM wrote:
Woran wrote:

I had a nap. It was good.

I also dreamed I was on some weird shadowrun-like heist with Cap Yesterday and Freehold. My brother was also there.

I was sad that I was woken up by someone shouting in the parking lot, waking me up :(
I had hoped to see where out heist had gone, as the dream so far had only covered the preparing stage, and we were just walking to the place we were robbing.

fast forwards the dream

Captain Yesterday, taking cover behind colonnade in fancy hotel hallway- I dont understand! I said exactly what was on the paper!
flinches as collonade takes another 3 bullets meant for him

Freehold, returning fire using fancy smartgun- You said "granah weep nini bong". That ain't Dutch!
pauses to reload

CY- Its the universal greeting!
Fiddles with mini-mini-bobcat drone

Woran- We're on EARTH!
starts to cast a spell

CY- ...which is part of the universe!
fixes mini-mini bobcat drone, sends it to attack noses of the private security team attacking our heroes

Woran- This is why I dont work with Americans! They're too amateurish!
finishes casting spell, sends forceball at enemies, incapacitating the majority of them

FH- And handsome. Dont forget that part.
double taps last security goon

Woran- Ugh. CY, where is our exit?

CY- Riiiight here...
has mini mini bobcat make huge hole in wall

Woran- FH, you have the package?

FH, grinning- Well, natura-

Woran- I MEAN THE THING WE CAME TO ACQUIRE!

FH, dejected- Yeeeeesssss...

Woran- Then let's MOVE OUT!

I approve of this ending

Scarab Sages

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber
NobodysHome wrote:

So, I'm interested in other people's takes on this, so I'll try to report just the facts and see what people think:

(1) GothBard's company invited her to a "team building" picnic and requested an RSVP, which she happily accepted
(2) Once she had responded, she was assigned to one of four "teams" and told that the four teams would be competing in a series of events, and the winning team would receive "trash talking rights" and a trophy for winning
(3) At a meeting on Tuesday the various team members were already eagerly trash talking each other
(4) This morning the trophy showed up: A 5' hunk of bling the winning team would get to put up in the office and boast about for the rest of the year

So... thoughts?

Sounds better then most team building things I have been forced to go on.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

While I agree that dress codes seem to target the ladies primarily I hate this but have long since given up expecting to win this battle, I don't see how "please no booty shorts or belly buttons" is overly restrictive, especially in kindergarten.

Public school here, albeit in a very conservative area. And ours finally did address some of the boy stuff - no underwear visible, and they need to stop slicing their sleeves down to the waist.

...and is there some fashion trend of late that's making hats a Thing? The past couple of years have been an unending battle with hats, which have always been against the dress code. And they're not even fighting over hats that look good - it's all stocking cap beanies that make them look like dorks.


captain yesterday wrote:
But yeah, in Wisconsin only the b!&#&!@ crazy religious schools have dress codes and they're only there to keep women down (I have yet to see a dress code geared towards men).

As someone who has lived in and gone to multiple schools in NC, Georgia, and Florida (among others; those are the ones I have good memories of), this is exceptionally bizarre to me.

I caveat my states only because that's my experience and I'm clarifying the limits of those.

In my (exceptionally limited) experience there have always been dress codes aimed at both. Especially in my high school boys were often the ones violating dress code and getting in trouble for it. (Usually had to do with tucked shirts and lowered pants/raised underwear.)

Scintillae wrote:
While I agree that dress codes seem to target the ladies primarily I hate this but have long since given up expecting to win this battle, I don't see how "please no booty shorts or belly buttons" is overly restrictive, especially in kindergarten.

This, I actually agree with. Also exceptionally silly: the oft-touted insistence on "dresses" as "modest" for girls. No, they're not. They're restrictive and are prone to weirdly immodest moments. Pants are so much better, across the board (and, as an aside, also cover the full length of what most people want out of dresses anyway).

I've not actually heard of the hat thing, though. I suppose every generation has their "thing" they fight with.

(Our kids' school has a uniform, so we don't really have this issue, but we still have parents fight about it. Never having grown up with a uniform, I honestly don't like it - it's uncomfortable and frustrating. But I abide by it, because it's fair and it's not actually oppressive or anything. It's a matter of personal taste that I don't like it. Also don't like spending the money on clothes "twice" - for non-school clothes as well as school clothes.)


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Boys have been yelled at for "you don't wear hats indoors" for a long, long time.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm in Albany public schools, where at last night's back-to-school night Impus Minor's not-quite-History teacher proudly proclaimed that he was a Social Justice Warrior and would be teaching the kids radical new political ideas and didn't get shouted down by angry parents.

Yet the school has a dress code, and it is primarily aimed at/enforced on young women.

Oh, and apparently Albany made the "top 100 high schools in California" in U.S. News and World Report. No wonder houses are so expensive around here!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:
Boys have been yelled at for "you don't wear hats indoors" for a long, long time.

Oh, yeah. It's just been a lot more prevalent in the past couple of years - going off my school alone in how often I've had to tell kids to take their hats off. And, living quite comfortably under my rock, I wasn't sure if there was a trend I'd missed that was a factor.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

As for "Not quite", last night was... interesting...

(1) At the beginning of the school year, I found a class schedule on the dining room table and posted it on the front door.
(2) For the last 2 1/2 weeks, I've been checking in with Impus Minor on his classes, and he's responded that he's doing fine.
(3) For Back to School night, he asked me whether I needed a schedule and I responded that I already had one, and pointed to the one on the front door.

So yep, needless to say he'd picked up someone else's schedule for her on the first day of school, and THAT was the one I followed. And I didn't know until 5th period when I ended up in Spanish 3. It's Impus Minor's first semester of Spanish!

So, his friend's schedule had almost the exact same classes as him: P.E., World History, Chemisty, English, Spanish, Choir, and Math. Except she was in Spanish 3 and Math 2+, so when I confronted Impus Minor about being in the wrong classes we figured out the issue.

But yep, went to Back to School night and sat in on all the wrong classes.

Woo hoo?


5 people marked this as a favorite.

Unsurprisingly, Impus Major is a fashion unto himself, and Impus Minor doesn't care, so I'm blissfully unaware of this year's teenage fashion trends.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:
But yeah, in Wisconsin only the b!&#&!@ crazy religious schools have dress codes and they're only there to keep women down (I have yet to see a dress code geared towards men).

As someone who has lived in and gone to multiple schools in NC, Georgia, and Florida (among others; those are the ones I have good memories of), this is exceptionally bizarre to me.

I caveat my states only because that's my experience and I'm clarifying the limits of those.

In my (exceptionally limited) experience there have always been dress codes aimed at both. Especially in my high school boys were often the ones violating dress code and getting in trouble for it. (Usually had to do with tucked shirts and lowered pants/raised underwear.)

The dress codes around here...the ones that are known about and complained about are the ones from the private/religious schools.

The public schools still have them, but there isn't anything to *really* complain about - they tend to center around "no overly revealing ripped clothes, no profanity, no obscene displays" kind of stuff, for the most part. Again, it's the enforcement choices that get made that are usually the problem.

Then you find a place like Olivet Nazarene University, where an April Fool's column was published that says they are going to relax the dress code to allow shorts. At a university.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

I hope it was a joke. How could the sight of so many clean-cut young mens' knees NOT result in the sort of orgiastic revels that even the Emperor Heliogabalus would blush to see?

Our work has a dress code, which includes No Hats, No Offensive Slogans, and Don't Get Your Bits Out. Very disappointing.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

Sometimes, someone points out something very, very depressing to you.

Over the last couple of years, there have been many articles posted about "Type I" thinking (react emotionally, shoot from the hip, etc.) and "Type II" thinking (pause and think about the repercussions of your actions before acting), and how most people are Type I thinkers.

I was complaining that I felt that our current political environment was largely a result of Type I thinking, and I wished we'd focus more on training people to be Type II thinkers.

And GothBard just replied: "Take a look at all our movies and books: The heroes are all Type I thinkers. It's always the villains who are Type II thinkers."

And I thought about it, and... eeew...


Not sure I appreciate like the ending of Luke Cage. It does feel more like an ending than most of the shows got, however.

Now here's a question that I've thought of many times, but never had an answer for: is Arkham Asylum named after Lovecraft's town of Arkham, or is it just coincidence.

EDIT: Important wording. I feel it is not unreasonable, and kind of a good ending in some ways, but it's also daaaaaaaaangerous in a way that isn't a great feeling.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

Sometimes, someone points out something very, very depressing to you.

Over the last couple of years, there have been many articles posted about "Type I" thinking (react emotionally, shoot from the hip, etc.) and "Type II" thinking (pause and think about the repercussions of your actions before acting), and how most people are Type I thinkers.

I was complaining that I felt that our current political environment was largely a result of Type I thinking, and I wished we'd focus more on training people to be Type II thinkers.

And GothBard just replied: "Take a look at all our movies and books: The heroes are all Type I thinkers. It's always the villains who are Type II thinkers."

And I thought about it, and... eeew...

There's a few exceptions out there that I can think of (Batman), but...no...she's not wrong.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

Sometimes, someone points out something very, very depressing to you.

Over the last couple of years, there have been many articles posted about "Type I" thinking (react emotionally, shoot from the hip, etc.) and "Type II" thinking (pause and think about the repercussions of your actions before acting), and how most people are Type I thinkers.

I was complaining that I felt that our current political environment was largely a result of Type I thinking, and I wished we'd focus more on training people to be Type II thinkers.

And GothBard just replied: "Take a look at all our movies and books: The heroes are all Type I thinkers. It's always the villains who are Type II thinkers."

And I thought about it, and... eeew...

I would argue there is an chance that that is because in order to make the villains look worse, the authors have them consciously decide to perform bad guy activities. Or at least that's what I got from many of the books I read.

Grand Lodge

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Well, in order to execute the grand sweeping plans that villains like to pursue you kind of have to be a Type II thinker. Why they can't plan for a Type I hero busting in and ruining everything is beyond me...


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:

Sometimes, someone points out something very, very depressing to you.

Over the last couple of years, there have been many articles posted about "Type I" thinking (react emotionally, shoot from the hip, etc.) and "Type II" thinking (pause and think about the repercussions of your actions before acting), and how most people are Type I thinkers.

I was complaining that I felt that our current political environment was largely a result of Type I thinking, and I wished we'd focus more on training people to be Type II thinkers.

And GothBard just replied: "Take a look at all our movies and books: The heroes are all Type I thinkers. It's always the villains who are Type II thinkers."

And I thought about it, and... eeew...

I would argue there is an chance that that is because in order to make the villains look worse, the authors have them consciously decide to perform bad guy activities. Or at least that's what I got from many of the books I read.

Much as I hate to admit it, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure turns this on its end, with Dio acting emotionally and without thinking, and JoJo defeating him by thinking two steps ahead. But it's a notable exception.

And I'm not saying it's an intentional bias where people say, "Let's make the villains Type II thinkers," but just as you say, the roles fit more naturally that way, so it's the prevalent theme.


Tacticslion wrote:

Not sure I appreciate like the ending of Luke Cage. It does feel more like an ending than most of the shows got, however.

Now here's a question that I've thought of many times, but never had an answer for: is Arkham Asylum named after Lovecraft's town of Arkham, or is it just coincidence.

EDIT: Important wording. I feel it is not unreasonable, and kind of a good ending in some ways, but it's also daaaaaaaaangerous in a way that isn't a great feeling.

This actually does play into what NH is talking about.

Spoiler:
Cage chooses to go Type 2 - the idea is that he takes the position of power vacated by gangsters in order to maintain peace, as well as monitor criminal activity (to help stop it).

It was given to him by Mariah Stokes (she has, by now, abandoned the "Dillard") in order to tempt him into doing exactly that so that he can be corrupted.

The show, then, posits that Luke should not have accepted a position of power and influence with which he can deliberate, act, and influence others, because that is the corrupt choice; it contrasts with his previous life of reactionism in which he saw an injustice and went after it.

And the implication for his future is... not great (though we see him, briefly, in JJ, and he's seemingly still doing well).

Also the fact that he turns Claire away for... no good reason that I can understand. To protect her? Because he's still angry? It's unclear - probably intentionally so, but it's frustrating and seemingly arbitrary, especially given how frustrated he's been without her.
Of course it might be simply to avoid paying the actress for another appearance. She has been mysteriously absent.

Anyway, it's an interesting turn, and I appreciate certain aspects of it, and almost like it, but am not certain that it sits... well.

Kind of like DD's final speech at Kingpin. It feels... weird.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:

Sometimes, someone points out something very, very depressing to you.

Over the last couple of years, there have been many articles posted about "Type I" thinking (react emotionally, shoot from the hip, etc.) and "Type II" thinking (pause and think about the repercussions of your actions before acting), and how most people are Type I thinkers.

I was complaining that I felt that our current political environment was largely a result of Type I thinking, and I wished we'd focus more on training people to be Type II thinkers.

And GothBard just replied: "Take a look at all our movies and books: The heroes are all Type I thinkers. It's always the villains who are Type II thinkers."

And I thought about it, and... eeew...

I would argue there is an chance that that is because in order to make the villains look worse, the authors have them consciously decide to perform bad guy activities. Or at least that's what I got from many of the books I read.

Much as I hate to admit it, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure turns this on its end, with Dio acting emotionally and without thinking, and JoJo defeating him by thinking two steps ahead. But it's a notable exception.

And I'm not saying it's an intentional bias where people say, "Let's make the villains Type II thinkers," but just as you say, the roles fit more naturally that way, so it's the prevalent theme.

I think Dio needed Jotaro's body, and that made him a bit hasty.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

TOZ - What did you think of Tactics Ogre?


I don't understand WHY hats are inappropriate, beyond tradition - and to a small degree religion.

Hair covering your head? Fine. Cloth? NO!

Especially because so many religions want you to cover your head...

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
Not sure I appreciate like the ending of Luke Cage. It does feel more like an ending than most of the shows got, however.

Going into this and your spoiler...

Spoiler:

I liked it, but I like my heroes a going a little dark; I'm a sucker for a good redemption story.

Quote:
The show, then, posits that Luke should not have accepted a position of power and influence with which he can deliberate, act, and influence others, because that is the corrupt choice; it contrasts with his previous life of reactionism in which he saw an injustice and went after it.

I think it's a little more complicated than that. Luke realizes that as evil as the gangs are in the area, they provided more order to the city than he realized. E.g., "protection rackets" done right actually do provide protection to the extorted from non-gang theft and violence. Organized crime helps, in theory, keep disorganized crime low, especially given the cops are often spread too thin or themselves are too corrupt to stop many criminals. And indeed, when Luke ends a number of the crime lords and their activities, chaos erupts due to the power vacuum. He realizes that the chaos will ensue until the vacuum is filled, and chooses to fill it with himself.

The question that the ending poses is can Luke stay in that position, intimidating other criminals and gangs enough to keep them in check, without succumbing to the dark side of holding power in an organized crime vaccuum--e.g., the money he could earn from extortion, drugs, etc.

Quote:
And the implication for his future is... not great (though we see him, briefly, in JJ, and he's seemingly still doing well).

Though he does ask JJ if she will stop him if he goes dark. He is aware he may be tempted.

Quote:


Also the fact that he turns Claire away for... no good reason that I can understand. To protect her? Because he's still angry? It's unclear - probably intentionally so, but it's frustrating and seemingly arbitrary, especially given how frustrated he's been without her.
Of course it might be simply to avoid paying the actress for another appearance. She has been mysteriously absent.

I don't think he wanted to get her sucked into the world of organized crime. He was also always too overprotective of her, and that would only get worse the more he stayed in that particular game and he knew it. He also knew she would disapprove of his straddling the Line like that. So there is no way the relationship would survive the choices he has made, so he ended it rather than prolong the suffering.

And yes, Rosario Dawson is a busy lady and had to get down to snogging Yael Grobglas (who played Psi on "Supergirl") on "Jane the Virgin."

Quote:


Now here's a question that I've thought of many times, but never had an answer for: is Arkham Asylum named after Lovecraft's town of Arkham, or is it just coincidence.

Yes, I believe so, to intentionally evoke a horror vibe.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:

Not sure I appreciate like the ending of Luke Cage. It does feel more like an ending than most of the shows got, however.

EDIT: Important wording. I feel it is not unreasonable, and kind of a good ending in some ways, but it's also daaaaaaaaangerous in a way that isn't a great feeling.

This actually does play into what NH is talking about.

Spoiler:
Cage chooses to go Type 2 - the idea is that he takes the position of power vacated by gangsters in order to maintain peace, as well as monitor criminal activity (to help stop it).

It was given to him by Mariah Stokes (she has, by now, abandoned the "Dillard") in order to tempt him into doing exactly that so that he can be corrupted.

The show, then, posits that Luke should not have accepted a position of power and influence with which he can deliberate, act, and influence others, because that is the corrupt choice; it contrasts with his previous life of reactionism in which he saw an injustice and went after it.

And the implication for his future is... not great (though we see him, briefly, in JJ, and he's seemingly still doing well).

Also the fact that he turns Claire away for... no good reason that I can understand. To protect her? Because he's still angry? It's unclear - probably intentionally so, but it's frustrating and seemingly arbitrary, especially given how frustrated he's been without her.
Of course it might be simply to avoid paying the actress for another appearance. She has been mysteriously absent.

Anyway, it's an interesting turn, and I appreciate certain aspects of it, and almost like it, but am not certain that it sits... well.

Kind of like DD's final speech at Kingpin. It feels... weird.

I had a different take:

Spoiler:
To me, one of the underlying themes running through all the NetflixMarvel shows is that when using power, super-abilities or otherwise, there often is a thin fuzzy line between good and evil.

Cage is one of the most moral and introspective people in the NetflixMarvel universe, but he is still human. He still makes mistakes, particularly by thinking he fully knows himself when he demonstrably doesn't. He has a temper, he doesn't like to be controlled/handled/steered (both of which I completely relate), and he likes to think he reacts from a place of righteousness (which is usually, but not always correct). His career as a Type 1 reactor has left him little experience as a Type 2 deliberator, which I expect where a third Luke Cage season would have explored.

While I agree that taking over the Stokes/Dillard empire is likely the bad choice, I never interpreted that it is corrupting because it was deliberative role. It is corrupting because it is a position of Power. And Power's corrupting influence is like the erosive powers of water & wind, especially in a realistic setting when even the powerful must accept compromises to achieve their goals. It finds cracks in your morality, it finds weaknesses and overstressed loadbearing-supports in your character, and it slowly undermines them. Cage is a good man. But how long can he stay that way steeped in that much corruption, in that much temptation, where his abilities to affect change suddenly extend well past his experience and perception?

This BTW, is probably why I found Piergeiron the Paladinson such an immersion-breaker in the metropolis of Waterdeep of the Forgotten Realms. Magically hale and hearty decades past his human prime? Divine powers to smite the foulest of evildoers and mythic monsters? A critical defender from countless Realms-shaking threats? Sure, I'll go alone with all of that. That he's still uncorrupted and unFallen by decades as a Lord of Waterdeep? Nope, that's just not believable or "realistic".

Edit: Also ninja'd by DQ.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Sharoth wrote:
REDRUM!!! REDRUM!!! REDRUM!!!

Be patient. Doctor Sleep (some spoilers) will be here in November.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:
TOZ - What did you think of Tactics Ogre?

Knight of Lodis was great.


DQ and Amby - to some extent I agree: but there is also the fact that the first time he gains a position where he is thoughtful instead of reactive it's in the same context as (potentially) villainous (part of a villain's plan to corrupt him).

This is all part of the larger context: it's not because it's a T2 role, but the only people that you see consistently in T2 roles are bad guys (... oooorrrr Misty, which does make this weaker).

It's why I'm not sure, rather than I outright dislike it.

(Same thing that comes with frustration with similar choices from other Marvel Netflix character choices.)

Spoiler:
I don't feel that Cage was corrupted. The implication seems to be that he would be, however, and the framing made what really should have been more triumphant into something less so - though that's fairly standard for the Netflix MCU stuff.

DD's dark spiral in S3 could be explained by the unfortunate byproduct of the Hand rez-juice implied to be related to how he got better at the end of Defenders. But he still felt personally darker and crueler than previously in his S3. That said, I will say that the ending of DD did feel like an ending and it was a higher note than I'd been thinking, just because of how dark he'd gone in Kingpin's apartment... that was pretty... ah, dark. Still, he did the right thing.

JJ's stuff is often just a mess, and as bad as she became, certain limited basic actions of Trish weren't actually wrongful.

I... enjoyed the ending of Iron Fist entirely too much, I have to admit.

I will say that DQ's take on Cage/Claire is solid, and makes good sense. Fair enough.

Over-all, I do like Luke Cage, and I think S2 is even better than S1. There were a few hiccups that I think should have been a biiiiit more ironed out, but Cage is probably my favorite of the heroes, and this season was good.

Also, The I-Land is... not great. EDIT: to clarify, it's not that it doesn't have good ideas, but there are problems in how the people interact and how they respond to things. They can be so... sssssssssslow, sometimes. Like, I understand the disorientation, but how hard is it to really get that <spoiler> and much less how to explain it? The difficulty people have in grasping this (whether or not they believe it) is actually not really believable - it's like they've never seen a movie before. (And the whole lack of memory thing really doesn't cover this - they have lots of other kinds of memories that should make this really easy to explain.) And the lines often have... quite weak writing (though people really do try to deliver them well). Also forced <NO-NO> subplot for some reason, and it's done poorly. It isn't the worst, by any means. But it's... just not... great. It has potential, but... not enough.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

OMFG

Have you turned it off and on?

"Am I allowed to do that? I don't want to break anything."

...
...
...
...
...
...
...
That person has been here 22 years, and is unsure if she's allowed...no...just no...

My counterpart in another division had this conversation with one of his team members today:

Counterpart: Check the Unix tab in AD, make sure it's enabled.

Tech: I didn't see a Unix tab??

CP: I got it. Have her try now.

Tech: Using her new Win password?

CP: Of course...

Tech: Ok, thank you.

No Random Technician, tell them to use a previous password from 6 months and 2 jobs ago.

I'd start swearing, but there aren't enough special characters on this keyboard to convey it properly, and I don't want to track down all the alt-codes.

Scarab Sages

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber

With the recent heatwave we had this summer, where we peaked above 100 Farenheit in some places, dresscodes were up for discussion again.
A lot of places dont let men wear shorts, but women can wear skirts.
Some men showed up at their places of work in skirts. Power to them!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

WAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Just heard the English dub for Demon City - Shinjuku, and... and... and... WOW.

... just... just WOW.

I... I had... I had forgotten.

It's... it's just... it's... magical?

... yes.

Yes, that is the word for it.

...

...

... ... magical.

Wow.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hello, everyone.

Well, the guard that I relieve has to rake his wife to her doctor in the morning. So, guess who's staying at the garage overnight, because there's no point in going home for just an hour.


John Napier 698 wrote:

Hello, everyone.

Well, the guard that I relieve has to rake his wife to her doctor in the morning. So, guess who's staying at the garage overnight, because there's no point in going home for just an hour.

I'm sorry, my dude. I know that's frustrating.

On the other hand, have you considered what a complete and utter jerk, the protagonist of Demon City - Shinjuku is? Like... a total jerk?

Also, 'dat dubbing, yo.

It should be noted that the last two parts of this post are meant at least a bit in jest in an attempt to give smiles in an unpleasant situation.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Return of the Jedi Anime


I mean, those accents.

British, I'm pretty sure.

Texan? I... I think that's what that's supposed to be.

... generically sooooouuuuuuuuthernnnnnn...?

... is that... Indian? I think that's supposed to be Indian (but it's really hard to tell, it's so inconsistent).

And why does the president not match his daughter's accent?

What is that even-?

HAHAHAH - that one punk's accent-or-whatever-you-call-that! Amazing.

EDIT: OH MY WORD, it JUST keeps delivering! Fake-Mexican (as bad as those intentional-bad parodies) and is that... fake vague eastern European? I think? Yeah, I'mma say that it is. It's simply... amazing.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
John Napier 698 wrote:

Hello, everyone.

Well, the guard that I relieve has to rake his wife to her doctor in the morning. So, guess who's staying at the garage overnight, because there's no point in going home for just an hour.

I'm sorry, my dude. I know that's frustrating.

On the other hand, have you considered what a complete and utter jerk, the protagonist of Demon City - Shinjuku is? Like... a total jerk?

Also, 'dat dubbing, yo.

It should be noted that the last two parts of this post are meant at least a bit in jest in an attempt to give smiles in an unpleasant situation.

Well, it's not like it hasn't happened before. At least this isn't at the last minute, and I have extra food here for just such occasions.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
John Napier 698 wrote:
Return of the Jedi Anime

It made me sad that the entire series didn't actually get that treatment. That animation was great.

The best anime opening of the three original films was Empire Strikes Back, but they're all great.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Prequel Trilogy Anime


My word, that one bad guy died so hard, you guys. Sliced into two, electrocuted by the main rail, and a grenade in the gut.

Pffffffffffffffft.

Guys. Guys. I'd forgotten what an amazingly... amazing... anime this was. Guys.

Guys. I don't even.


As an unrelated, the show The I-Land is... getting better?

... but only for a very obscure, exceedingly specific variant of the term, "better." Like... it's... not great, still. But...

It's almost... fuuuuuuuuuunnyyyyyyyyy?

I mean. It's not funny? But almost is?

I mean, "I got mauled by a shark. It <cursing> hurt."

Lines like that are... just... just...

Rm.

I must admit, it might be the anime that's lifting my mood so much, comparatively.

That said, oh, come ooooooooon, DC-S, let the girl have an actual heroic moment for once! Dang it!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:

OMFG

Have you turned it off and on?

"Am I allowed to do that? I don't want to break anything."

...
...
...
...
...
...
...
That person has been here 22 years, and is unsure if she's allowed...no...just no...

My counterpart in another division had this conversation with one of his team members today:

Counterpart: Check the Unix tab in AD, make sure it's enabled.

Tech: I didn't see a Unix tab??

CP: I got it. Have her try now.

Tech: Using her new Win password?

CP: Of course...

Tech: Ok, thank you.

No Random Technician, tell them to use a previous password from 6 months and 2 jobs ago.

I'd start swearing, but there aren't enough special characters on this keyboard to convey it properly, and I don't want to track down all the alt-codes.

in the defense of the two people above, the main job is very much like this.

For the first situation, things have calmed down A LOT over the past...I want to say 5 years or so, but due to the way that our policy with respect to internet usage specifically is worded, there is a very strong "if it's broken, it's YOUR FAULT, IT will fix it if and when they feel like it so DONT TOUCH ANYTHING YOU DONT NORMALLY TOUCH and for the love of $DEITY, ONLY DO WHAT IT TELLS YOU TO DO WHEN YOU ARE ON THE PHONE WITH THEM!!!!

Spoiler:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
" philosophy. I have also seen people get written up for doing so much as bringing a USB drive from home, the company is so protective of its technology. Then again the main job is a VERY OLD company and is still struggling to update its technology, as you may have surmised from earlier posts.

For the second part, on the main job there was another longstanding policy(yes, before anyone asks, we did have to sign off on it and a copy went to Legal) of using different passwords for signing on the computer vs. signing into another program/websites we use for training we use for our job. I almost got written up with threat of review because my former supervisor noticed I was having issues with my password for a website I was using for work and she thought I was using the same password for the website that I was using to sign into the computer. Apparently there was a big kerfuffle at the agency where people were telling their friends(and sometimes lovers, apparently) their passwords and they were logging into applications as them to do...something...and so noone was allowed to use the same password in more than one place on the job. Fortunately this is no longer the case.


Freehold DM wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:
John Napier 698 wrote:

Hello, everyone.

Well, the guard that I relieve has to rake his wife to her doctor in the morning. So, guess who's staying at the garage overnight, because there's no point in going home for just an hour.

I'm sorry, my dude. I know that's frustrating.

On the other hand, have you considered what a complete and utter jerk, the protagonist of Demon City - Shinjuku is? Like... a total jerk?

Also, 'dat dubbing, yo.

It should be noted that the last two parts of this post are meant at least a bit in jest in an attempt to give smiles in an unpleasant situation.

This is part of the reason I only watch subtitled.

But you don't understand how amazing it is. Just... like... amazing.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
John Napier 698 wrote:

Hello, everyone.

Well, the guard that I relieve has to rake his wife to her doctor in the morning. So, guess who's staying at the garage overnight, because there's no point in going home for just an hour.

I'm sorry, my dude. I know that's frustrating.

On the other hand, have you considered what a complete and utter jerk, the protagonist of Demon City - Shinjuku is? Like... a total jerk?

Also, 'dat dubbing, yo.

It should be noted that the last two parts of this post are meant at least a bit in jest in an attempt to give smiles in an unpleasant situation.

This is part of the reason I only watch subtitled.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Might have a tag-issue, my dude.

EDIT: Uh... chronology is hopping around again. Silly Paizo. Time is supposed to be linear!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:

WAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Just heard the English dub for Demon City - Shinjuku, and... and... and... WOW.

... just... just WOW.

I... I had... I had forgotten.

It's... it's just... it's... magical?

... yes.

Yes, that is the word for it.

...

...

... ... magical.

Wow.

yes.

Twist it around.

Roll it on your tongue.

Taste it.

TASTE THE HATE


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:
Uh... chronology is hopping around again. Silly Paizo. Time is supposed to be linear!
That's merely your perception.

Well in my opinion, the chronology is evil!

... wait.

EDIT: and now Vany's post is just... gone?

EDIT 2: No, now it's back... and after this one. Heh.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
Uh... chronology is hopping around again. Silly Paizo. Time is supposed to be linear!

That's merely your perception.


Freehold DM wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:

WAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Just heard the English dub for Demon City - Shinjuku, and... and... and... WOW.

... just... just WOW.

I... I had... I had forgotten.

It's... it's just... it's... magical?

... yes.

Yes, that is the word for it.

...

...

... ... magical.

Wow.

yes.

Twist it around.

Roll it on your tongue.

Taste it.

TASTE THE HATE

But... it's not hate!


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Aaand... there we go...

It has been TWELVE DAYS since we made our Ashland reservations. Today, the second family managed to make their reservations.

Two down, three to go.

Who knew reservations were so hard?


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
...I have also seen people get written up for doing so much as bringing a USB drive from home...

Er, I'd FIRE someone for that on the spot, not just write them up.

That's how corporate networks get compromised. One home user bringing an infected USB drive inside the corporate network, allowing a malicious virus to spread unchecked.

Just Google "USB Drive Compromise". You'll get articles like this one.

At my old company, we disabled all USB ports at the BIOS level because the problem was so widespread (we had LOTS of proprietary military-grade secrets).

Banning USB drives isn't a joke; it's an absolute necessity. They're the second-biggest security hole out there. (Human beings being the first. And it takes humans to transport USB drives.)

232,251 to 232,300 of 236,752 << first < prev | 4641 | 4642 | 4643 | 4644 | 4645 | 4646 | 4647 | 4648 | 4649 | 4650 | 4651 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.