Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

231,801 to 231,850 of 235,708 << first < prev | 4632 | 4633 | 4634 | 4635 | 4636 | 4637 | 4638 | 4639 | 4640 | 4641 | 4642 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:

So...

Based on what I keep reading from CY and others about the Midwest, I am lead to wonder if Athens County is like an oasis in the desert, like Austin in Texas.

Because biking here is amazeballs. We have entire paths between towns that are gorgeous and that cars can't go on and are regularly maintained.

Then again, all of Florida is among the worst places to cycle, with Jacksonville being listed among the top 3 worst cities in the US by multiple cycling magazines.

Might be a city-to-city thing. I live and work in a couple of tiny on-the-way-to-the-actual-cities towns, so there's no demand for the infrastructure required to accommodate bikes. But I live within reasonable distance of Manhattan, which is one of the state's biggest college towns. They've got bike lanes, bike police, and I've even seen rental bikes to encourage more people.

But most of the Midwest, once you get out of the suburbs, is just too spread out to make biking practical as a daily thing. I would die doing 30-40 miles a day even if the highway I had to take to work had a wide enough shoulder to bike on, and I'd still risk getting hit by a tractor. Yep. This is my life.

One thing I forgot to mention is the fact that there are different bikes and that using the wrong bike in the wrong circumstances is a recipe for disaster for everyone involved.

Not sure why this post made me think of that but it did.

I dont know if even the most amazing aluminum frame would make a 30 mile round trip commute bearable, but doing it on a mountain bike would be hellish.


5 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

The percentage of bicyclists like that around here is disturbingly high; maybe 15-20% of all cyclists fall into this category. The difficulty is that they are abusive to cyclists who follow the rules of the road. I have been flipped off by other cyclists for stopping at a Stop sign. I have been verbally cussed at for not running a red light with traffic coming. By a cyclist. I have a thick skin; I don't care, and I ignore them.

Yet it seems that because of their hostile attitude towards everything non-bicycle, and towards any bicyclist who doesn't join them in their execrable behavior, the percentage of cyclists who blow through Stop signs even when cars have the right of way is around 70-80%. It's a staggering number. (And yes, Scint, I'm aware of 'observer's bias', but as I mentioned in the post that started this, I'm currently teaching Impus Major to drive so I'm tracking every cyclist I see to help Impus Major learn to coexist with them safely.)

Oh, yeah, no argument. You've gotta teach new drivers that they should expect literally everyone on the road to be a drooling moron who is both drunk and texting. Literally anyone could do a dumb at any time, and you have to be able to react if the worst happens.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Its hellishly hot so I took my clothes off. Nothing wrong with that.


HOLY SNAP

HOLY SNAP

HOLY SNAP, YOU GUYS

SACHA BARON COHEN (yes, that one) is in a serious, legitimate, and dramatic thingy on Netflix! Well, "serious/dramatic" at least!

Note! I have no idea if it's any good! None whatsoever!

But! It exists! He's in a thing!

(I cannot stand anything like Borat, or pretty much any of that comedy style. While it's fine if that's your thing, it's just... not mine. At all. But he's famous enough that I know him and most of his stuff more well-known comedy works*, just because.)

* For example of me not knowing everything, he's apparently a voice-actor. Go figure.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
Scintillae wrote:
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:

So...

Based on what I keep reading from CY and others about the Midwest, I am lead to wonder if Athens County is like an oasis in the desert, like Austin in Texas.

Because biking here is amazeballs. We have entire paths between towns that are gorgeous and that cars can't go on and are regularly maintained.

Then again, all of Florida is among the worst places to cycle, with Jacksonville being listed among the top 3 worst cities in the US by multiple cycling magazines.

Might be a city-to-city thing. I live and work in a couple of tiny on-the-way-to-the-actual-cities towns, so there's no demand for the infrastructure required to accommodate bikes. But I live within reasonable distance of Manhattan, which is one of the state's biggest college towns. They've got bike lanes, bike police, and I've even seen rental bikes to encourage more people.

But most of the Midwest, once you get out of the suburbs, is just too spread out to make biking practical as a daily thing. I would die doing 30-40 miles a day even if the highway I had to take to work had a wide enough shoulder to bike on, and I'd still risk getting hit by a tractor. Yep. This is my life.

One thing I forgot to mention is the fact that there are different bikes and that using the wrong bike in the wrong circumstances is a recipe for disaster for everyone involved.

Not sure why this post made me think of that but it did.

I dont know if even the most amazing aluminum frame would make a 30 mile round trip commute bearable, but doing it on a mountain bike would be hellish.

Yeah, I mostly meant that the 3-mile ride I did not that long ago made me actively wish for death. Riding to work ain't happening.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Many, many years ago, when Aiymi and I were down to one car, and she had to drive to Champaign and back every day (we were in Bloomington-Normal then), I took the city bus to work and racked my bike, then rode the bike home after. 6 miles. I was always a sweaty mess afterwards. No way I was riding my bike in to the office when I would sweat through my clothes.

But the city bus...it was a 10 minute drive from our place to my office by car. 14 minutes on a bad day. The bus took 60 minutes, and that was dropping us off at the front door to the place, and the bus picked up at the corner I lived on.

So public transportation took 4-6 times longer to get there, and biking there wasn't an option if I was going to work in close proximity to other people.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:

Freehold it isnt Ogre Battle. It is the sequel (in story - but in gameplay it's a FFT style game). Lans, Warren, Canopus and even Deneb are in it.

Tactics Ogre - The Knight of Lodis for the Gameboy Advance is in the same vein, but not nearly as good.

OB64 is more the type of game OB was.

did it come out for PS1? If so I have it.

Scroll up.

Remake. Not the same. Much improved.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Orthos wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:

Disclaimer: I commuted by bicycle for 12 1/2 years in Albany, Berkeley, and Davis. And I obeyed traffic control devices (in the standard California manner). And yep, it was amazing how many cars would stop, yield the right of way to you, then honk at you and get visibly angry when you refused to take it. Or stopping at a stop sign only to have three bicyclists around you blow right past you and through the intersection.

But in all cases, I wasn't in a "Big City" like New York or San Francisco. I don't even comprehend how bicyclists in such areas can survive, but I'm sure the rules are different.

I nearly had a head-on collision with a cyclist today heading back to work after my appointment because he was in my right-hand lanes coming toward me (therefore, his left lanes). Yet he glared at me in that "how dare you turn onto this road while I'm here" manner as I swerved around him.
Wait a minute. He was in the lane OPPOSITE you(as in going the opposite direction) or driving the wrong way down a one way street? And you were turning onto the street or going straight?

I've seen the same thing, and similarly nearly killed a cyclist because of it: For some reason some cyclists actually believe that they are supposed to ride down the LEFT side of the road on a two-way street.

If cycling is dangerous (and it is, as my two broken helmets can attest), then cycling down the wrong side of the street is suicidal.

if it's a two way street they are supposed to go with the flow of traffic in the direction they are going. That means sometimes they will be on the right side of the road and sometimes on the left, depending on which way they are going.

Full disclosure, I will ride down the street the wrong way if I have been doored. I cannot take another blow to that side.

In this case it was a four lane road, two going each way. He was
...

No. The road was completely clear except for me entering it and two cars in the left lanes waiting at the stop sign where the road ended. There was no reason whatsoever for him to be in that lane.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:

Freehold it isnt Ogre Battle. It is the sequel (in story - but in gameplay it's a FFT style game). Lans, Warren, Canopus and even Deneb are in it.

Tactics Ogre - The Knight of Lodis for the Gameboy Advance is in the same vein, but not nearly as good.

OB64 is more the type of game OB was.

did it come out for PS1? If so I have it.

Scroll up.

Remake. Not the same. Much improved.

oh no, i know that i just remembered that there was a lot of overlap between PSP games and PS1 games.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
Its hellishly hot so I took my clothes off. Nothing wrong with that.

I know. We're having to close up the windows at night now because it's getting into the mid-to-low 50s, and with the cloud cover we might not see 70°F today...

Grand Lodge

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Okay, if the internet is to be believed, Walmart of all places had it in stock. So $30 bucks later, I should have it next week.


I don't think you'll regret it, TOZ. Check out the reviews and such. It's a gem that I'm surprised more folks don't know about.

So. Many. Unique. Characters.

Multiple races, each with classes they can choose from, some that overlap, some that don't - for example fairies can be rogues, like humans, but not berserkers - but only fairies and goblins can be familiars, which is like a mage-rogue hybrid. Meanwhile only lizardmen and lamia can be patriarchs, tanky mages basically, or juggernauts, super fast smashers. Birdmen can be many, but not all, human classes, and the vartan class Canopus starts as.

There's even 10 dragon classes, multiple undead types and classes, and more.

...not counting the 2 white knights (and 3rd hidden one), the single paladin, the single starmancer, the bard, the various upgraded story characters, etc.


What's this about now.


Vanykrye wrote:

Many, many years ago, when Aiymi and I were down to one car, and she had to drive to Champaign and back every day (we were in Bloomington-Normal then), I took the city bus to work and racked my bike, then rode the bike home after. 6 miles. I was always a sweaty mess afterwards. No way I was riding my bike in to the office when I would sweat through my clothes.

But the city bus...it was a 10 minute drive from our place to my office by car. 14 minutes on a bad day. The bus took 60 minutes, and that was dropping us off at the front door to the place, and the bus picked up at the corner I lived on.

So public transportation took 4-6 times longer to get there, and biking there wasn't an option if I was going to work in close proximity to other people.

That sounds wonderful and awful at the same time.

I would kill to be able to take my bike on the bus.

I do ride to work almost every day, and I keep clothes at work to change into. I understand if that isnt an option for everyone, however. I have also had days where my right guard went left due to my ride. I walk with powerful antiperspirant as a result. Degree makes some good stuff.

A 60 minute bus trip vs. A 15 minute car drive is untenable, however. That is bad planning on the part of public transit.

Grand Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:
I don't think you'll regret it, TOZ. Check out the reviews and such. It's a gem that I'm surprised more folks don't know about.

I snagged Tactics Ogre on the GBA and loved the hell out of it. I am also a FFT fan, so anything with multiple classes and grid-based map turn-based combat is my jam.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I rode my bike to and from work consistently for over a decade, only ending last year when I switched jobs. I'm a firm believer in cities' efforts to promote non-personal vehicle transportation. My belief is that the U.S. is trending in that direction (and kudos to the other countries for already being there [or for having never left]), but we're still in the growing pains phase.

For context, I live in Houston, which is a huge oil & gas town, and it's commonly believed that the city and county are constantly pressured by lobbyists who want this poster child for o&g to stay reliant on one car for every person and the gasoline to power those cars. Either the local government is trending progressively despite the pressure, or the pressure was never real and the trending has just been really slow.

I think there's four main groups of people relevant to this issue:

1) Drivers like to drive and bicyclists are annoying and foolish for trying to share the road. I believe this group is real but not as dominant as its often made out to be.

B) People who are all for more people biking (or taking alternate means of transportation), but it's just not feasible for them for now. Sometimes they even bike recreationally on the weekends! I believe this is the largest group, and most people are in it legitimately, but there's a lot of people who stay in this group due to nervousness/fear or because they haven't really given driving less reasonable consideration.

△) People who believe in the legitimacy and benefits of commuter cycling, but don't agree with the rules for cycling, so they don't follow them. Or they're just lazy.

Final group) People who believe in the legitimacy and benefits of commuter cycling, and perhaps because they believe that they should promote it, follow the rules of the road for cycling as best they can.

For me, I strive to be in the final group, but there's times when it's just not safe to stay where I'm supposed to stay, and there's times when it just creates confusion when I do what I'm supposed to do rather than what I'm expected to do. The most common example is when I come to an intersection with a four-way stop sign and come to a stop only to see a driver who stopped at another sign before me frantically waving me on because he was expecting me to coast through my stop sign.

I could get into a pissing contest with him where we are both stubbornly waiting for the other to go first (I've done this, but it really doesn't solve anything), I can grumble about ignorant drivers but go first (annoying), or I can approach the intersection with the intent to stop, but paying attention to cues from other drivers and cyclists and judge what the best course of action would be depending on the situation. Ultimately, this is not the least or the most dangerous but it's usually the least disruptive.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
Vanykrye wrote:
Scintillae wrote:
Or maybe sometimes we're right when we complain about cyclists that don't follow the rules of the road...This is not every cyclist...
...In Illinois, by law, a bicycle is treated as no different than a car. They are specifically *not* a pedestrian and a police officer *can* ticket a cyclist for using a sidewalk under any conditions...
So, the issue in Berkeley at least is that many cyclists take the attitude of Jeff the Cyclist in Pearls Before Swine: "Because I cycle I am better than the rest of you drivers and pedestrians, and because I am better I have the God-given right of way in all situations."

I have yet to see a driver admit that they did not have the right of way when they hit a bicycle. PBS has a poor reputation in the cyclist community.

Quote:
The percentage of bicyclists like that around here is disturbingly high; maybe 15-20% of all cyclists fall into this category. The difficulty is that they are abusive to cyclists who follow the rules of the road. I have been flipped off by other cyclists for stopping at a Stop sign. I have been verbally cussed at for not running a red light with traffic coming. By a cyclist. I have a thick skin; I don't care, and I ignore them.

Fights between cyclists are rare. But anyone pulling that s!@% around here would get their teeth knocked out.

Quote:
Yet it seems that because of their hostile attitude towards everything non-bicycle, and towards any bicyclist who doesn't join them in their execrable behavior, the percentage of cyclists who blow through Stop signs even when cars have the right of way is around 70-80%. It's a staggering number. (And yes, Scint, I'm aware of 'observer's bias', but as I mentioned in the post that started this, I'm currently teaching Impus Major to drive so I'm tracking every cyclist I see to help Impus Major learn to coexist with them safely.)

Given the number of cyclists fighting for more stop signs, this strikes me as insane.

Quote:

And it's definitely a holdover from the Berkeley of the 60s and 70s. When I was growing up, if you were on Telegraph in downtown Berkeley and you needed to cross the street, you just did it wherever you were and if a car had to stop for you, all the better because you were teaching those dirty drivers not to come to YOUR area. So there was already an extremely hostile attitude towards drivers in Berkeley, and an approach of, "If you need to make a driver stop, that's good,"and I think it just got passed on to a generation of cyclists and turned this into an amazingly toxic situation: We have oodles of roads with bike lanes, and we even have dedicated north-south bike paths that go for miles. Yet biking around here is incredibly dangerous because of a vicious cycle of pooly-behaved bicyclists incensing drivers, and drivers in turn lashing out at any cyclists they see, even the good ones. Bike lanes and paths go unused so car-hostile cyclists can ride in traffic on congested streets and jam things up further.

It's not fun to bike around here, even when every other street has a bike lane.

And people say New Yorkers have bad attitudes? Yeesh!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
TriOmegaZero wrote:
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:
I don't think you'll regret it, TOZ. Check out the reviews and such. It's a gem that I'm surprised more folks don't know about.
I snagged Tactics Ogre on the GBA and loved the hell out of it. I am also a FFT fan, so anything with multiple classes and grid-based map turn-based combat is my jam.

Brothers, there is a game that you may not have heard of that I make it a point to tell others about.

Soul Nomad and The World Eaters.

It is an AMAZING strategy game, and utilizes many of the beloved TO elements and some Tactics like stuff too.

Please give it a look if you can.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

In other news, evidence exists that I did not swallow the plastic fork tine, but it's ultimate fate remains a mystery.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Its hellishly hot so I took my clothes off. Nothing wrong with that.
I know. We're having to close up the windows at night now because it's getting into the mid-to-low 50s, and with the cloud cover we might not see 70°F today...

hides the sun


Orthos wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Orthos wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:

Disclaimer: I commuted by bicycle for 12 1/2 years in Albany, Berkeley, and Davis. And I obeyed traffic control devices (in the standard California manner). And yep, it was amazing how many cars would stop, yield the right of way to you, then honk at you and get visibly angry when you refused to take it. Or stopping at a stop sign only to have three bicyclists around you blow right past you and through the intersection.

But in all cases, I wasn't in a "Big City" like New York or San Francisco. I don't even comprehend how bicyclists in such areas can survive, but I'm sure the rules are different.

I nearly had a head-on collision with a cyclist today heading back to work after my appointment because he was in my right-hand lanes coming toward me (therefore, his left lanes). Yet he glared at me in that "how dare you turn onto this road while I'm here" manner as I swerved around him.
Wait a minute. He was in the lane OPPOSITE you(as in going the opposite direction) or driving the wrong way down a one way street? And you were turning onto the street or going straight?

I've seen the same thing, and similarly nearly killed a cyclist because of it: For some reason some cyclists actually believe that they are supposed to ride down the LEFT side of the road on a two-way street.

If cycling is dangerous (and it is, as my two broken helmets can attest), then cycling down the wrong side of the street is suicidal.

if it's a two way street they are supposed to go with the flow of traffic in the direction they are going. That means sometimes they will be on the right side of the road and sometimes on the left, depending on which way they are going.

Full disclosure, I will ride down the street the wrong way if I have been doored. I cannot take another blow to that side.

In this case it was a four lane
...

I have to agree. Unless you passed a hideous car accident a few moments later, this guy was definitely in the wrong.


Hello, everyone!

Yesterday, I saw a commercial on Youtube. The original World of Warcraft is being re-released.


Okay, Jeanne d'Arc, I'm willing to give you some handwavium to get to the story and/or battles, but come on.

You're literally not even trying.

I mean, "trying," in the sense that you're suggesting that the English have personalities and that Talbot's loss somehow reflects more poorly on his commander than on him (which... what), but you don't even give a hint as to hhhhhhhhhhhhhhow T-diddy managed to get past the wall. I mean, you call it out, but then... nothing. Just... come on!

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Freehold DM wrote:

Brothers, there is a game that you may not have heard of that I make it a point to tell others about.

Soul Nomad and The World Eaters.

It is an AMAZING strategy game, and utilizes many of the beloved TO elements and some Tactics like stuff too.

Please give it a look if you can.

Might be time to break the PS2 out again.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
Vanykrye wrote:
Scintillae wrote:
Or maybe sometimes we're right when we complain about cyclists that don't follow the rules of the road...This is not every cyclist...
...In Illinois, by law, a bicycle is treated as no different than a car. They are specifically *not* a pedestrian and a police officer *can* ticket a cyclist for using a sidewalk under any conditions...
So, the issue in Berkeley at least is that many cyclists take the attitude of Jeff the Cyclist in Pearls Before Swine: "Because I cycle I am better than the rest of you drivers and pedestrians, and because I am better I have the God-given right of way in all situations."
I have yet to see a driver admit that they did not have the right of way when they hit a bicycle. PBS has a poor reputation in the cyclist community.

Then maybe the cyclist community should fix the image they project. PBS is spot-on to the way the most vocal cyclists are up in the same stereotype sphere as vegans. Don't worry, they'll tell you how they can do no wrong on the road.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

sigh

And the children are mixing up theme and genre. Lesson, not niche. "The Soul Selects Her Own Society" is not about dark romanticism...


What. The. Heck. Is the stench coming from my faucets?


I most definitively have neither the time nor energy to deal with this.

Ugh, it’s nauseating.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:

I most definitively have neither the time nor energy to deal with this.

Ugh, it’s nauseating.

Maybe some algae got into the water plant. Go get a water filter pitcher, or some bottles of water, if you can. Unless the water smells of Chlorine. In which case, let the water run until it smells clean.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:

I most definitively have neither the time nor energy to deal with this.

Ugh, it’s nauseating.

Sorry. I thought you would like eau de gator fart. My mistake.

Scarab Sages

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
Woran wrote:
He initially perked up on antibiotics and being warm. But he developed seizures, so they had to put him down :(
You gave him a bit of time at the end where he was warm and cared for and free from predation. You did good.

Yeah, he would have had a slow and painfull death in the wild. I just wish he would have made it :(

Scarab Sages

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:

So...

Based on what I keep reading from CY and others about the Midwest, I am lead to wonder if Athens County is like an oasis in the desert, like Austin in Texas.

Because biking here is amazeballs. We have entire paths between towns that are gorgeous and that cars can't go on and are regularly maintained.

Then again, all of Florida is among the worst places to cycle, with Jacksonville being listed among the top 3 worst cities in the US by multiple cycling magazines.

Probably an area with lots of people descended from dutch immigrants? ;)

Scarab Sages

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber
captain yesterday wrote:

Madison is a biking mecca, people come here from other countries just to use our thousands of miles of bike trails.

You can bike from Monroe to the Dells without using a single road (with cheese shoppes and swiss themed hotels every fifteen miles or so.

Probably an area with lots of people descended from dutch immigrants? ;)


John Napier 698 wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:

I most definitively have neither the time nor energy to deal with this.

Ugh, it’s nauseating.

Maybe some algae got into the water plant. Go get a water filter pitcher, or some bottles of water, if you can. Unless the water smells of Chlorine. In which case, let the water run until it smells clean.

That is NOT “chlorinated water” smell! There may ALSO chlorine, but whuff, that is blech in the extreme.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Woran wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:

Madison is a biking mecca, people come here from other countries just to use our thousands of miles of bike trails.

You can bike from Monroe to the Dells without using a single road (with cheese shoppes and swiss themed hotels every fifteen miles or so.

Probably an area with lots of people descended from dutch immigrants? ;)

Honestly...yeah...obviously not as many as Germans, Swedes, and Norwegians, but definitely a fair representative share of Dutch as well.


People coming out Mooooooonday to help. Hrm.


Vanykrye wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:

I most definitively have neither the time nor energy to deal with this.

Ugh, it’s nauseating.

Sorry. I thought you would like eau de gator fart. My mistake.

It isn’t a normal swamp smell, either! Way too metallic and... foul. I’ve smelled things like this before, but I can’t remember what and it definitely doesn’t smell natural.


Why are my posts out of chronological orde?

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Andostre wrote:

I think there's four main groups of people relevant to this issue:

1) Drivers like to drive and bicyclists are annoying and foolish for trying to share the road. I believe this group is real but not as dominant as its often made out to be.

B) People who are all for more people biking (or taking alternate means of transportation), but it's just not feasible for them for now. Sometimes they even bike recreationally on the weekends! I believe this is the largest group, and most people are in it legitimately, but there's a lot of people who stay in this group due to nervousness/fear or because they haven't really given driving less reasonable consideration.

△) People who believe in the legitimacy and benefits of commuter cycling, but don't agree with the rules for cycling, so they don't follow them. Or they're just lazy.

I'm a little bit of all three of these myself. In theory, I have no issue with bikes traveling in traffic; in practice however their inability to function as a true vehicle and their comparative frailty makes them essentially a living, moving road hazard. My ideal solution would be to create completely separate lanes for them that impinge neither on vehicular traffic nor pedestrian, but that would require tax funds that nobody down here wants to yield because this is America gulldurnut.

And I have no interest in surrendering my vehicle myself for a bike or anything equivalent because I just straight up do not have time for that. I grumble enough about how difficult and time consuming it is getting from place to place by car, I'm not gonna want to swap that for an exponentially slower, more inconvenient, and more personally physically taxing option. Nothing against those who do or who enjoy that sort of thing, but as I'm never going to live in a city like NY where driving myself around would be illogical, I'm not going to give it up.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
Why are my posts out of chronological orde?

T¡m€ 1§ aΩ I|Гμs!θN.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber
Freehold DM wrote:
Woran wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Woran wrote:
Bath tub swan died :(
I am so sorry. I know you loved that little guy.
I did love him, even if he had been just an hour and a half in my bath tub.
and he loves you WORAN. He knows you tried to help him. It was just his time.

I just keep thinking if we'd intervened sooner his infection might have been less severe and he might have made it :(


Fiiiiinally got La Hire up to 30th. Of course, he’s still 3 levels behind my heaviest hitters. Annoying!


Woran wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Woran wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Woran wrote:
Bath tub swan died :(
I am so sorry. I know you loved that little guy.
I did love him, even if he had been just an hour and a half in my bath tub.
and he loves you WORAN. He knows you tried to help him. It was just his time.
I just keep thinking if we'd intervened sooner his infection might have been less severe and he might have made it :(

That ellipses is not a worthy thought. The two of you did everything that is reasonable, even more than can be reasonably expected in most cases. “If I’d’ve done something sooner” is the kind of thought that will drive people mad. Everyone has things they would go back and change with foresight


5 people marked this as a favorite.
MissingNo wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:
Why are my posts out of chronological orde?
T¡m€ 1§ aΩ I|Гμs!θN.

SQUEAK SQUEAKUM SQUEAK!*

*:
LUNCHTIME DOUBLY SO!


The Death of Rats wrote:
MissingNo wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:
Why are my posts out of chronological orde?
T¡m€ 1§ aΩ I|Гμs!θN.

SQUEAK SQUEAKUM SQUEAK!*

** spoiler omitted **

Speaking of, don’t tell anyone, but rats are the villain of my most recent game that I’m running right now for my wife. Well, them and frogs. Not even a magic kind, either.

Edit: I mean, there is magic involved, obviously. Well, I guess it doesn’t have to be obvious… Hey that could make for an interesting game, actually! But, no. In this case, magic is involved, but ultimately the bus that they are going to have to fight is just a bunch of rats and frogs. Totally Monday and wants to.

Scarab Sages

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber

*sees bike discussion*

Yeah.. uh...

*eats goudse kaas*

Scarab Sages

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber
Tacticslion wrote:
Woran wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Woran wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Woran wrote:
Bath tub swan died :(
I am so sorry. I know you loved that little guy.
I did love him, even if he had been just an hour and a half in my bath tub.
and he loves you WORAN. He knows you tried to help him. It was just his time.
I just keep thinking if we'd intervened sooner his infection might have been less severe and he might have made it :(
That ellipses is not a worthy thought. The two of you did everything that is reasonable, even more than can be reasonably expected in most cases. “If I’d’ve done something sooner” is the kind of thought that will drive people mad. Everyone has things they would go back and change with foresight

Yeah, it will pass. I'll be mopey for a few days. But life goes on.


Good. You guys are awesome and should feel awesome. I know how hard it can be to lose a wild buddy, though, even if it was a new acquaintance - you have my empathy.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Woran wrote:

*sees bike discussion*

Yeah.. uh...

*eats goudse kaas*

You don't live in this world.

;)


Also, talk-type and forum chronology seems to be both conspiring to betray me. “Ellipses” indeed.

231,801 to 231,850 of 235,708 << first < prev | 4632 | 4633 | 4634 | 4635 | 4636 | 4637 | 4638 | 4639 | 4640 | 4641 | 4642 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.