Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

221,551 to 221,600 of 235,813 << first < prev | 4427 | 4428 | 4429 | 4430 | 4431 | 4432 | 4433 | 4434 | 4435 | 4436 | 4437 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Our faculty just did a "low ropes course" for a team building day; it was one of four options we voted on, and escape room was one of the other choices. It required problem-solving and teamwork but didn't push anyone's big fear buttons.

EDIT: No, I am NOT naked talking about ropes. I still have on my running clothes from this morning. I'm having oatmeal and icing my knee before I shower.

The Exchange

Hmm did you get the knee problem while running, LM? Which part of your foot do you land on when you run? I used to land with my heels, then my BF told me to switch to a forefoot strike for better running efficiency. At first it was hard, but now I forefoot strike and never look back(except on rough terrain like sand, which throws off my form - haven't learnt to control it yet).

Previously I used to get a lot of calf aches and thigh aches when I landed on my heels.

The Exchange

I'm a logical cat, but not imaginative. I don't think logic and imagination go hand in hand.

Also how many friends did you go in with DSXMachina? We're looking at 7-8 people per room and my BF said that escape rooms are best when <5

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber
NobodysHome wrote:
Woran wrote:

I think going out and living on your own is very good and healthy when you're colege age. But you have to be ready for it. When I finally went when I was 19 I was more then ready for it. But a girl from my high school was not. She had to return after half a year.

Also, doing college for 2 years cost me probably the equivalent of 10,000 dollars. So thats a loooooooooooooot less then what you'd have to pay for Impus Major.

$10,000 for college tuition, books, room, board, insurance, etc?

That's er... insane compared to what he'd pay here.

Sure, I lived very frugal, but I think it already starts with tuition and room?

tuition was about 1700 a year. And I payed... I think 300 for my room including utilities a month?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Boy, Tyrant's Grasp sure does suck so far.

I think it might end up being worse then Hell's Vengeance.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber
Just a Mort wrote:

Well I plan to go with my aunt to go to the zoo!

It'll be fun!

I LOVE going to the zoo!


3 people marked this as a favorite.
LordSynos wrote:
Yuugasa wrote:
LordSynos wrote:
Yuugasa wrote:

There is kinda an interesting question in that show though, if you were transported to a fantasy world and had basically the power of a god and no real pressing business what would you do with it?

Might be a fun premise for an adventure sometime.

There are so many anime with that story these days, you can see a lot of different takes on it. Overlord is the only one I can think of going the evil route, which is kind of refreshing, but it's starting to wear on me a bit.

I'm actually playing in a similarly themed homebrew RPG atm. We weren't godlike, but the tech we brought with our characters is far beyond that of the world we arrived in, so we're pretty high up there as long as the batteries last. :P

Oh yeah? Not super familiar with anime, though I like it alot, are there some of the other 'go to fantasy world, be godlike' animes you would recommend?

If you're specifically looking for the 'go to fantasy world, be godlike' ones, going from highest recommendation to lowest:

** spoiler omitted **...

*Adds The rising of the shield hero (Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari) to the list*

The Hero's not quite God-tier (quite the opposite in some respects) but I think it still might count.
It's got a bit of an jarring and edgy* start to it like Goblin Slayer, but quickly becomes more of a standard fantasy romp.

(Wouldn't recommend if you find the subjects of rape/rape accusations and slavery to be no-go subjects).

Yuugasa wrote:
Tequila Sunrise wrote:
Yuugasa wrote:
Dude, just got done watching Triple Frontier on Netflix, great movie. Has a moral lesson on the nature of greed as well without ever getting preachy about it. Two thumbs up.

I did not expect Triple Frontier to be as good as it was, nor for Affleck's character to precipitate things the way he did! Recommendation seconded, and another score for Netflix.

Glad you're digging Love, Death & Robots btw, I hope there's more to come. :)

Yeah, good stuff.

Love, Death, and Robots is great. The first episode had me feeling a little ho hum until the double twists, talk about empowered women!

Watched it too…

Best episodes* (in no particular order): Sonnies revenge (reminds me of Eclipse Phase), Beyond the Aquila Rift, Shapeshifters (reminds me of WoD Werewolf), The Secret War (reminds me a bit of CoC set in WWII).

Honorable mentions: Fish Night and Zima Blue (for aesthetics) + Three Robots (for twist ending and the potential effects it has on the story).

Dishonorable mentions: Alternative Histories (for most wasted potential)

*Judged by the goose-bump factor.

Funny fact though, I love it for the exact reasons its been criticized, namely the excessive violence and gratuitous nudity/sexuality. It even shows...gasp!...Pubic hair!!!

*Looks around and shakes head at fainted critics, while rubbing the bridge of his nose*

Yuugasa wrote:

I know why I find it funny too, it's just that racism is so utterly ridiculous that if it weren't for its destructive and vile history it would be the most ludicrous thing in the world.

Even when I was being "racist" the second two things I said about white people is that they had giant dicks and loved fried chicken, two racist ideas traditionally slung against blacks but they make as much sense applied to white people.

I'll be more careful from now on because I caused upset feelings but yeah...

I agree with very much of what you're saying here, and while there are this I might add (things that might get me in hot water), I'll just keep it here to you got the right attitude (and intent) in the way you're going about it.

Both it cutting loose once in a while and making racism, well, funnier and when you scale back, cause you don't want to upset anyone feelings.

Woran wrote:
Ive also managed to catch something flu-ish. Bleh.

and

Woran wrote:
*puts bucket under nose*

*Sends Woran some hot chicken soup, a woolen blanket, some tissues, a hipflask with some rum + back pats and snuggles*

Yuugasa wrote:
Just a Mort wrote:
** spoiler for Freehold **
Well, don't do anything you don't want to do Mort.

*Nods vigorously*

You should only do so if you yourself is comfortable with it Mort. If you really have no interest in sex, then be up front to your bf about it and discus between you two, what to do if he still has urges that needs satisfying.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:

Our faculty just did a "low ropes course" for a team building day; it was one of four options we voted on, and escape room was one of the other choices. It required problem-solving and teamwork but didn't push anyone's big fear buttons.

EDIT: No, I am NOT naked talking about ropes. I still have on my running clothes from this morning. I'm having oatmeal and icing my knee before I shower.

I thought you people called it 'frosting'.

Is this some sort of innovative new alternative therapy, or do you have a cake for a knee?


lisamarlene wrote:
Quintessential "Florida Man" for September 8th, but I have to ** spoiler omitted **

interestingly enough, I used an article related to that in the thread I confused fawtl for above.


lisamarlene wrote:
Our faculty just did a "low ropes course" for a team building day; it was one of four options we voted on, and escape room was one of the other choices. It required problem-solving and teamwork but didn't push anyone's big fear buttons.

gets excited

Quote:
EDIT: No, I am NOT naked talking about ropes.

is less excited


lisamarlene wrote:
And, yes, I can well imagine every gun shop in Citrus County selling one.

*sigh*


Yuugasa wrote:
Just a Mort wrote:
** spoiler for Freehold **
Well, don't do anything you don't want to do Mort.

this.


Yuugasa wrote:
Tequila Sunrise wrote:
Yuugasa wrote:
Dude, just got done watching Triple Frontier on Netflix, great movie. Has a moral lesson on the nature of greed as well without ever getting preachy about it. Two thumbs up.

I did not expect Triple Frontier to be as good as it was, nor for Affleck's character to precipitate things the way he did! Recommendation seconded, and another score for Netflix.

Glad you're digging Love, Death & Robots btw, I hope there's more to come. :)

Yeah, good stuff.

Love, Death, and Robots is great. The first episode had me feeling a little ho hum until the double twists, talk about empowered women!

I am watching this this weekend.


Sharoth wrote:
616 posts behind. So what did I miss?

a lot of nudity.


Just a Mort wrote:

FAWTL gossip vine - anyone has done escape room stuff before? We're looking to having it for a Company event but I'm wondering if anyone has done it yet.

Also, anyone has cooked sous-vide before? I find the usage of plastic bags wasteful.

I didnt care for the escape room I did. It was less puzzle-like and more weird, one of the clues was WAAAAAAAAAY too small to see and relied on different lighting(glow in the dark) to uncover. One or the other would have been okay, but both was not. Also, different people think differently, and too many different minds in one room leads to chaos.


LordSynos wrote:
Just a Mort wrote:

FAWTL gossip vine - anyone has done escape room stuff before? We're looking to having it for a Company event but I'm wondering if anyone has done it yet.

Also, anyone has cooked sous-vide before? I find the usage of plastic bags wasteful.

I love escape rooms! :D Quality can vary a lot from place to place, but they're generally good craic, and a fun thing to do as a group. Some run it linearly, with one puzzle leading logically to the next, while others do it more free form, where there are many puzzles spread about the room and they can be solved in almost any order. Both have pros and cons, with non-linear ones allowing more people to work on different puzzles simultaneously, but running the risk of progression being confusing, if there's a lack of communication of what has been completed and what further clues have been found. Meanwhile, the more linear puzzles give a clearer progression path, so you can't accidentally miss something, but the more people you have, the more likely a few are going to wind up on the sidelines, watching other people solve things.

Anyways, escape rooms are fun, I've played with friends and with coworkers, and they've always been a hit. I'd recommend them. :)

Mrs. Sunrise loves escape rooms, and even I can have fun with them. (Puzzles are very much not my thing.) Last escape room we did, I cheated my way to one of the clues by disassembling a prop. (I was careful not to break anything, but taking those screws out was definitely not part of the expected clue-finding!)

Recommended.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:

If it helps, I wasn't going to watch it anyway.

Mostly because if everyone tells me I should see something it makes me not want to see it.

FYI: I still haven't seen Titanic so please don't spoil it.

I don't like anime, so that's mostly the reason though.

I will drink all of Milwaukee's Best to find an anime that resonates with you.

No, YOU shut up liver, this is anime we're talking about.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kjeldorn wrote:
LordSynos wrote:
Yuugasa wrote:
LordSynos wrote:
Yuugasa wrote:

There is kinda an interesting question in that show though, if you were transported to a fantasy world and had basically the power of a god and no real pressing business what would you do with it?

Might be a fun premise for an adventure sometime.

There are so many anime with that story these days, you can see a lot of different takes on it. Overlord is the only one I can think of going the evil route, which is kind of refreshing, but it's starting to wear on me a bit.

I'm actually playing in a similarly themed homebrew RPG atm. We weren't godlike, but the tech we brought with our characters is far beyond that of the world we arrived in, so we're pretty high up there as long as the batteries last. :P

Oh yeah? Not super familiar with anime, though I like it alot, are there some of the other 'go to fantasy world, be godlike' animes you would recommend?

If you're specifically looking for the 'go to fantasy world, be godlike' ones, going from highest recommendation to lowest:

** spoiler omitted **

*Adds The rising of the shield hero (Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari) to the list*

The Hero's not quite God-tier (quite the opposite in some respects) but I think it still might count.
It's got a bit of an jarring and edgy* start to it like Goblin Slayer, but quickly becomes more of a standard fantasy romp.

(Wouldn't recommend if you find the subjects of rape/rape accusations and slavery to be no-go subjects).

I specifically left it off because it does fail at the god-like criteria. There are a tonne of other good ones I left off for the very same reason. It is a good one though, currently enjoying it myself. :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Just a Mort wrote:

I'm a logical cat, but not imaginative. I don't think logic and imagination go hand in hand.

Also how many friends did you go in with DSXMachina? We're looking at 7-8 people per room and my BF said that escape rooms are best when <5

I went with 4 others, 2 couples and it seemed to work. Although IIRC there could have been room for 1 or 2 more. But I think ~4-6 seems best. 7 could work, especially in an office environment if people want to be lazy.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Limeylongears wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:

Our faculty just did a "low ropes course" for a team building day; it was one of four options we voted on, and escape room was one of the other choices. It required problem-solving and teamwork but didn't push anyone's big fear buttons.

EDIT: No, I am NOT naked talking about ropes. I still have on my running clothes from this morning. I'm having oatmeal and icing my knee before I shower.

I thought you people called it 'frosting'.

Is this some sort of innovative new alternative therapy, or do you have a cake for a knee?

it would explain her baking jones.

Hm.

Now I want to see this as a (hopefully benevolent/benign) monster/npc in shaper of worlds.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
DSXMachina wrote:
Just a Mort wrote:

I'm a logical cat, but not imaginative. I don't think logic and imagination go hand in hand.

Also how many friends did you go in with DSXMachina? We're looking at 7-8 people per room and my BF said that escape rooms are best when <5

I went with 4 others, 2 couples and it seemed to work. Although IIRC there could have been room for 1 or 2 more. But I think ~4-6 seems best. 7 could work, especially in an office environment if people want to be lazy.

Different places handle bigger groups different. If they have more than one room, they might split the group in two and time who escapes their room first. Or if one of their rooms is a multi-room, they could again split the group, and then it's a race to access the other team's room before they access yours. Because the latter is only half a normal escape room, they then might reset the rooms, and have the teams switch which room they start in, to see if the results might differ depending on which part you start in.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Freehold DM wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:

If it helps, I wasn't going to watch it anyway.

Mostly because if everyone tells me I should see something it makes me not want to see it.

FYI: I still haven't seen Titanic so please don't spoil it.

I don't like anime, so that's mostly the reason though.

I will drink all of Milwaukee's Best to find an anime that resonates with you.

No, YOU shut up liver, this is anime we're talking about.

You'll never survive! Your body isn't used to that much swill.


In general I like mature fantasy stories(both in the way things are handled and from an adult content perspective) what do you guys recommend my best anime watching choices would be based on that?

For clarity I know I've been complaining about a bunch of series recently but Berserk the manga is like my favorite story ever and that's dark as hell, my complaints are more about how such things are handled than the content themselves. For an example the Elminster book was off putting because he was still being treated like a Hero by the author despite beating and harassing women, while the book I'm reading instead, the first in the War of the Spider Queen series is just fine by me because despite some very dark scenes as the characters are clearly set out as villains(or at least anti-heroes).

Bad people(or Drow) doing bad things is fine by me because it is well established that that is the dark city they live in and the rest of the world doesn't idolize them when it makes no sense.

So context, yeah as long as the context makes sense I'm down.

So yeah, with that explanation are there any good fantasy anime you recommend?

P.S. (I was horrified at first by Goblin Slayer but then as I watched it it was like ok this makes sense in context I was just surprised at first)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Besides, since the beginning of time as soon as someone realizes I don't like anime they try to get me to like anime.

And I still haven't found one I'll watch.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind anime, I just can't get into it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Oh LordSynos, thank you again. I named my toon in Blackguards Synos in your honor=)

Also, are you a playstation fan? Your name backwards is Sony, Well technically it's Sonysdrol but, you know, Sony can be Droll.

The Exchange

I also don't do much anime and do even less these days because I'm not sitting around most of the time. This week's pizza research will be black pepper chicken... Mmmmph.

But I'll say it's the most costly pizza research yet, each chicken thigh cost $2.75!

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Yuugasa wrote:

Oh LordSynos, thank you again. I named my toon in Blackguards Synos in your honor=)

Also, are you a playstation fan? Your name backwards is Sony, Well technically it's Sonysdrol but, you know, Sony can be Droll.

Haha, thank you, I'm honoured. :)

I'm actually more of a Nintendo guy, though I do own a PS4, and owned a PS & PS2 before it. It's actually an anagram of my full name. :)


7 people marked this as a favorite.

"I can't see."
"What happened?"
"I looked directly into the lightbulb, and it was too bright."
"...why?"
"Because it didn't look that bright through the covering."
"But...why?"
"Because I had to see what was wrong with the light...so now I can't see."

These are seniors.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
LordSynos wrote:
Yuugasa wrote:

Oh LordSynos, thank you again. I named my toon in Blackguards Synos in your honor=)

Also, are you a playstation fan? Your name backwards is Sony, Well technically it's Sonysdrol but, you know, Sony can be Droll.

Haha, thank you, I'm honoured. :)

I'm actually more of a Nintendo guy, though I do own a PS4, and owned a PS & PS2 before it. It's actually an anagram of my full name. :)

Oh, that's cool. Makes sense I couldn't remember a Lord Synos from fiction.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Yuugasa wrote:

In general I like mature fantasy stories(both in the way things are handled and from an adult content perspective) what do you guys recommend my best anime watching choices would be based on that?

For clarity I know I've been complaining about a bunch of series recently but Berserk the manga is like my favorite story ever and that's dark as hell, my complaints are more about how such things are handled than the content themselves. For an example the Elminster book was off putting because he was still being treated like a Hero by the author despite beating and harassing women, while the book I'm reading instead, the first in the War of the Spider Queen series is just fine by me because despite some very dark scenes as the characters are clearly set out as villains(or at least anti-heroes).

Bad people(or Drow) doing bad things is fine by me because it is well established that that is the dark city they live in and the rest of the world doesn't idolize them when it makes no sense.

So context, yeah as long as the context makes sense I'm down.

So yeah, with that explanation are there any good fantasy anime you recommend?

P.S. (I was horrified at first by Goblin Slayer but then as I watched it it was like ok this makes sense in context I was just surprised at first)

Hmm, in terms of maybe darker stories, you've already mentioned Goblin Slayer, Overlord, Beserk, Attack on Titan previously... The Rise of the Shield Hero is also a bit dark, but is turning more upbeat as it goes. My favourite Isekai of all, Re:Zero is pretty dang dark, and I think it's better going into it knowing as little as possible. Grimgar of Ash and Fantasy was pretty good too, and fairly harsh at times. Psycho Pass is pretty dark, but it's not fantasy, quite the opposite.The Saga of Tanya the Evil probably counts, mostly dark because the main character is a piece of work though. Those are all the ones immediately jumping to mind, anyhow.


LordSynos wrote:
Yuugasa wrote:

Oh LordSynos, thank you again. I named my toon in Blackguards Synos in your honor=)

Also, are you a playstation fan? Your name backwards is Sony, Well technically it's Sonysdrol but, you know, Sony can be Droll.

Haha, thank you, I'm honoured. :)

I'm actually more of a Nintendo guy, though I do own a PS4, and owned a PS & PS2 before it. It's actually an anagram of my full name. :)

Martha!?!


3 people marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:

If it helps, I wasn't going to watch it anyway.

Mostly because if everyone tells me I should see something it makes me not want to see it.

FYI: I still haven't seen Titanic so please don't spoil it.

I don't like anime, so that's mostly the reason though.

I will drink all of Milwaukee's Best to find an anime that resonates with you.

No, YOU shut up liver, this is anime we're talking about.

You'll never survive! Your body isn't used to that much swill.

I fully support Freehold's ultimate sacrifice to find you an anime.

Mostly because it will end in tragedy, possibly multiple tragedies.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Yuugasa wrote:

Yeah the only Episode of Love, Death, and Robots I didn't like was the Hitler one, it was just kinda boring to me.

I really want to talk about a bunch of the episodes and how awesome they are but I don't want to spoil them for those whom have not watched.

Kjeldorn wrote:

Watched it too…

Best episodes* (in no particular order): Sonnies revenge (reminds me of Eclipse Phase), Beyond the Aquila Rift, Shapeshifters (reminds me of WoD Werewolf), The Secret War (reminds me a bit of CoC set in WWII).
Honorable mentions: Fish Night and Zima Blue (for aesthetics) + Three Robots (for twist ending and the potential effects it has on the story).

Dishonorable mentions: Alternative Histories (for most wasted potential)

*Judged by the goose-bump factor.

Funny fact though, I love it for the exact reasons its been criticized, namely the excessive violence and gratuitous nudity/sexuality. It even shows...gasp!...Pubic hair!!!

*Looks around and shakes head at fainted critics, while rubbing the bridge of his nose*

Spoilered for spoilers, though I'm leaving everything vague for folks who haven't watched yet but want to join our conversation:

Spoiler:

Oh man, I liked Fish Night for the animation and the story! Beyond the Aquila Rift is awesome-sauce, and Three Robots is just good goofy fun.

I think my favorite is Good Hunting, for animation, story, and a shapeshifter from a non-western mythology. I'm kinda burned out on werewolves, and the same old same old werewolf tropes. (Raging bestiality, huge bulging super-strength, weakness to silver.)

Agreed on Alternative Histories, it just didn't do anything for me. I think I was expecting more down-to-earth Hitler-dies possibilities, and the animation style didn't help.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:

If it helps, I wasn't going to watch it anyway.

Mostly because if everyone tells me I should see something it makes me not want to see it.

FYI: I still haven't seen Titanic so please don't spoil it.

I don't like anime, so that's mostly the reason though.

I will drink all of Milwaukee's Best to find an anime that resonates with you.

No, YOU shut up liver, this is anime we're talking about.

You'll never survive! Your body isn't used to that much swill.

Old Man:It's dangerous to go alone. Take this.

Old man hands Freehold bottle of Milwaukee's Best


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:

"I can't see."

"What happened?"
"I looked directly into the lightbulb, and it was too bright."
"...why?"
"Because it didn't look that bright through the covering."
"But...why?"
"Because I had to see what was wrong with the light...so now I can't see."

These are seniors.

Who hasn't done this!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Yuugasa, if it's a good (modern) Fantasy series that you're looking for, might I recommend Kaze no Stigma?

Hi, everyone!


7 people marked this as a favorite.

It really sucks being the only responsible one in a larger group.

As I mentioned, my older brother's lifelong friend passed away on Valentine's Day. So GothBard just forwarded me an email from another member of that group asking, "Hey, where's xxx? I've been trying to get in touch with him for days and he hasn't responded!"

And yep, nobody had the guts to tell him the truth, so I just had the joy of informing someone by fricking email that his longtime friend had passed away.

Thanks, brother's friends, for being so spineless and letting me be the jerk on that one. That was quite enjoyable, thanks.

But yeah, I gave him my phone number so he could call me if he needed someone to talk to, 'cause at least I know *I'll* answer the phone and give him a shoulder to cry on.

Mutter... mutter... stupid brother... stupid brother's friends...


6 people marked this as a favorite.

NobodysHome's New Parenting Game
Presented free of charge for the sanity of other parents everywhere

(1) Hide a "prize" somewhere in your house, where it will take your kids 10-15 minutes of actual searching to find it.
(2) Tell the kids that *if* they can find the prize they get to keep it, *except* if you can find any sign at all that they were in the house then they lose.

The kids will love it, and they'll learn to frigging clean up after themselves!!!!

(Yeah, Impus Major's friends were just over. Empty food wrappers on the living room furniture, doors that were closed to maintain internal heat left wide open, toilet seat left up, etc. D**ned savages.)


Just a Mort wrote:

Hmm did you get the knee problem while running, LM? Which part of your foot do you land on when you run? I used to land with my heels, then my BF told me to switch to a forefoot strike for better running efficiency. At first it was hard, but now I forefoot strike and never look back(except on rough terrain like sand, which throws off my form - haven't learnt to control it yet).

Previously I used to get a lot of calf aches and thigh aches when I landed on my heels.

The problem isn't my stride, it's the arthritis in my knee and mid-spine, which isn't helped by being 25 pounds overweight. My doctor said "get regular exercise and take the weight off, and your joints won't hurt as much". Stupid cow. It doesn't help that she was right. So I take two aspirin before my run and ice afterwards.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Tequila Sunrise wrote:
Yuugasa wrote:

Yeah the only Episode of Love, Death, and Robots I didn't like was the Hitler one, it was just kinda boring to me.

I really want to talk about a bunch of the episodes and how awesome they are but I don't want to spoil them for those whom have not watched.

Kjeldorn wrote:

Watched it too…

Best episodes* (in no particular order): Sonnies revenge (reminds me of Eclipse Phase), Beyond the Aquila Rift, Shapeshifters (reminds me of WoD Werewolf), The Secret War (reminds me a bit of CoC set in WWII).
Honorable mentions: Fish Night and Zima Blue (for aesthetics) + Three Robots (for twist ending and the potential effects it has on the story).

Dishonorable mentions: Alternative Histories (for most wasted potential)

*Judged by the goose-bump factor.

Funny fact though, I love it for the exact reasons its been criticized, namely the excessive violence and gratuitous nudity/sexuality. It even shows...gasp!...Pubic hair!!!

*Looks around and shakes head at fainted critics, while rubbing the bridge of his nose*

Spoilered for spoilers, though I'm leaving everything vague for folks who haven't watched yet but want to join our conversation:

** spoiler omitted **

Yea...

I might get in hot water with some of this, but to heck with it.

Spoiler:

I really really wanted to like Good Hunting, but honestly it just skirted past getting a "dishonorable mention" from me.
The animation is gorgeous in places, especially concerning mechanical, clockwork or steam-stuff, the landscapes/backdrops and the nine-tailed fox ladies.
But on the other hand I do not like the story. I tried, but I just couldn't find it as engaging or tragic as I was supposed…
For some reason I couldn't shake the feeling out of my head that what I was seeing was a variation of this troupe (expect...well...put a "White" before man).

So let me get the plot straight.
Yen forgives Liang for participation in his mothers murder.
Yen then gets locked in human form because magic is disappearing due to the rise of technology (which the English bring?).
The hackneyed Pith helmet wearing Englishman resorting to casual
racism toward Liang, Sure I'm following so far...
Yen has to become a prostitute due to being form-locked.
The well-dressed mob of Englishmen man-handling Yen? Okay, I get it as long as this isn't the start of a pattern...
Yen gets roofied by the in from the left field insane English governor, who proceeds to chop her up and turn her into his personal sex clock-work automata, for which she kills him.
Yen gets Liang to build her a transformable body, that let her assume her fox form, so that she can hunt down "those who think they can own us, the men who perpetrate evil and call it progress".
2nd mob of Englishmen manhandling a woman, which Yen then attacks (and probably kills). See this is that pattern I was worried about…
Liang, you might have goofed up here and helped a future villain here...maybe your father wasn't so wrong about these fox-women being rather dangerous.

Or maybe to put it more succinctly what are the characters trying to say it this episode?
That (beautiful) women get blamed for the failures of men (the merchants son)?
That you have to keep technology in check (or magic disappears) - > (might also be an "appeal to nature" in there too)?
That colonialism is exploitation and thus very bad?
Couldn't you just pick one, and stick to it???

As for Three Robots, I do love the opposable thumbs on cats part.
But what I love more is the idea that its actually them that somehow caused the apocalypse that wiped out mankind (as opposed of what the rather ill-informed robots seems to claim might have happened).


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I finally recycled our old tv, just fifteen dollars and the will to make it happen, and a truck.

It was a big tv, from before the flat screen era (we picked it off the curb ourselves).

So getting into the truck myself (while small talking with the neighbor who saw me outside) was no small effort.


9 people marked this as a favorite.

Proud poppa bragging moment:

So, Impus Major is a total slacker. He *almost* totally forgot that he was supposed to even be taking the SAT.

So we're talking NO studying at all. He never once even looked at a practice test. It was, quite literally, wake up one morning after a late night out, stagger in, and answer a few questions.

Under those circumstances, I consider a 1260 (690 English, so 93rd percentile, and 570 Math, so 73rd percentile) not just respectable but downright incredible.

Seems like if he'd actually prepared or studied or cared he probably would have been able to break 1400.

Little tyke's smarter than he lets on...


2 people marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:

I finally recycled our old tv, just fifteen dollars and the will to make it happen, and a truck.

It was a big tv, from before the flat screen era (we picked it off the curb ourselves).

So getting into the truck myself (while small talking with the neighbor who saw me outside) was no small effort.

Our Sony WEGA was 154 pounds. THAT was a monster!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Today's Stir Fry Experiment was:

Pork chops, marinaded in soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and chili powder, then done in a wok with garlic, onions, a leek, mushrooms, onions of spring dawning, noodles, and shredded Kender.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

Proud poppa bragging moment:

So, Impus Major is a total slacker. He *almost* totally forgot that he was supposed to even be taking the SAT.

So we're talking NO studying at all. He never once even looked at a practice test. It was, quite literally, wake up one morning after a late night out, stagger in, and answer a few questions.

Under those circumstances, I consider a 1260 (690 English, so 93rd percentile, and 570 Math, so 73rd percentile) not just respectable but downright incredible.

Seems like if he'd actually prepared or studied or cared he probably would have been able to break 1400.

Little tyke's smarter than he lets on...

You want a 1,600? Mail me check and I get my cousin to take test next week!

Also, send photo, so I can Photoshop him fighting the bear from Legends of the Fall so he can get on the tennis team.


7 people marked this as a favorite.

Oh, I had a friend who did that and it was hilarious. He was a 6'2", blond-haired, hazel-eyed Swede.

An Indian kid asked him to take the SAT for him. So he got the fake ID (let's say it said Raj Agathapadal). He went in to take the test and the proctor looked the tall blond in the eye and asked, "Raj?"
He didn't bat an eye and replied in a thick Indian accent, "What are you, racist or something?"
The proctor shut up and let him in and he got the kid a 1570.

And of course the kid flunked out his first year because being unprepared is being unprepared.

Out whatever he paid my friend PLUS a year's college tuition. Now THAT'S a life lesson.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Actual e-mail to a co-worker on a Friday afternoon (with critical bits redacted to protect the guilty):

So, the good news: Everything was crystal-clear, everything you said was correct, and it looks like everything should work the way you wrote.
The bad news: EVERY image I was working with over the last two weeks (both xx and yy) had major issues with zzz, so I couldn’t find a single instance on which I could actually test your work.

I’ll try again on Monday, since the images seem to be up and down like so many ground squirrels when a strange noise crosses the plains…

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber
Kjeldorn wrote:


Woran wrote:


*puts bucket under nose*

*Sends Woran some hot chicken soup, a woolen blanket, some tissues, a hipflask with some rum + back pats and snuggles*

Oh, thank you. I also have a slight fever, and I hope it picks up during the night so I can do some good sweating. Sweat this illness right out of my body.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kjeldorn wrote:


** spoiler omitted **...

Yeah Good Hunting struck me as the 15 min cliff notes of a long epic, losing tonal coherency as the story careened through years of plot in moments.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Just a Mort wrote:

FAWTL gossip vine - anyone has done escape room stuff before? We're looking to having it for a Company event but I'm wondering if anyone has done it yet.

Scint, Ebon, my brother/Ebon's husband, and I all did one last summer when they all came to visit. It was a blast and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in giving it a shot. We finished the main "quest" but didn't quite get the "bonus" solution in time.

221,551 to 221,600 of 235,813 << first < prev | 4427 | 4428 | 4429 | 4430 | 4431 | 4432 | 4433 | 4434 | 4435 | 4436 | 4437 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.