Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

215,151 to 215,200 of 240,400 << first < prev | 4299 | 4300 | 4301 | 4302 | 4303 | 4304 | 4305 | 4306 | 4307 | 4308 | 4309 | next > last >>

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:

Hey guys, quick question.

Whom among you would fight a saber tooth tiger wearing a robotic exoskeleton for me?

Said saber tooth tiger may have had up to 5 energy drinks.

Asking for a friend.

Is the saber tooth tiger trying to date my daughter.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber

I love swimming, but the chlorine plays hell on my muceous membranes. The older I get, the more they swell after a swim :(


Saltwater pools are the BEST. No chlorine irritation, and it's easier on the hair, too.


My stomach is killing me. I think it is gastrointestinal related. The pain keeps moving around the upper stomach area. Second I get off work ill buy some pepto in theory that should help. Tums did not.


Just a Mort wrote:
Tequila Sunrise wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:

Hey guys, quick question.

Whom among you would fight a saber tooth tiger wearing a robotic exoskeleton for me?

Said saber tooth tiger may have had up to 5 energy drinks.

Asking for a friend.

We talking Tony Stark's rig, sans all the gadgets?

Yeah I'll take your corner bro.

Metal > teeth, no matter how big.

TS, I think he meant that the saber tooth tiger was wearing a robotic exoskeleton and not you get to wear a robotic exoskeleton to fight it?

Oh, well that changes the calculation.

I'll pass on that, sorry Freehold, you're on your own.

The Exchange

Vidmaster7 wrote:
My stomach is killing me. I think it is gastrointestinal related. The pain keeps moving around the upper stomach area. Second I get off work ill buy some pepto in theory that should help. Tums did not.

Ginger tea, Vidmaster7? Or chamomile tea? Or a hot towel around your upper stomach?

The Exchange

I just urm...demoed the use of chrome cast for zumba gold YouTube videos for my aunt. Then did the zumba gold demo thingie. Do I look like a dancing kitty? >.<

Personally prefer martial arts inspired workouts.

The Exchange

Tomorrow I'm going to try the 5km +2.4km thing again. *tucks horse whip into her running bag, just in case of lazy BF*

And Happy New Year everyone!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Okay, I am sober now and I can explain better.

My friends and I were playing super fight last night and one of the cards drawn was "player to the left", which was me. And one of the powers that I had was a "tween army", which the player said was not a tween army, but the paizo.com messageboards. So it was me and everyone here against the saber tooth tiger and...I forget who the other party in the battle was. I drank a LOT of Irish cream.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Just a Mort wrote:

There's a scene in the children of prophecy by David Eddings, where Relg earthglides Silk out of a cave and Silk is one blubbering mess, saying something along the lines of, "Don't ever do that to me again", and they're like next to an enemy encampment. Doesn't stop him from doing it.

Keladry in Lady Knight sneaks into enemy territory to rescue her people but that doesn't stop her from having a conversation with Irma the child seer while in said enemy territory.

Darkwind, Elspeth and Firesong are in disguise trying to get to the capital of Haldorn to assassinate Ancar, the evil monarch. Doesn't stop them from remarking on the sad state of the land.

My guess is that the person in question is a younger male who's grown up playing tactical games such as Call of Duty and watching and admiring movies with military tactics in them. In the immediate theater of combat where you're surrounded by the enemy on their base or in their hideout, stealth and silence become key.

His poor spelling and discussion of "elite militia" reinforce this impression for me.

So when the only thing with which you're familiar is the immediate theater of combat, you start thinking that that's how the Marines behave everywhere. "Ohp. We're out of milk. Gotta leave the base and go to the supermarket. Quick, everyone! Radio silence! Spread out in tactical formation! We'll make the Circle K or die trying!"

I think you've made your point: If you know there are no enemies within a quarter mile, you're not going to refrain from conversation. Hand signals only take you so far, and, AFAIK, Marines aren't trained in ASL.


Woran wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:
We always had an extra freezer, on account of butchering our own meat.
Us too. One of those big... my english is failing me... lying down ones? How do you call a fridge that sits on the floor like a big box and opens at the top? (as opposed to a standing fridge that opens like a closet)

I believe it's called a "free-standing freezer", but who knows?

And yes, we have one in the garage. But it's not so good for milk, beer, leftovers, or leafy greens. Go figure.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vidmaster7 wrote:
Just a Mort wrote:

Have a half day on new year's eve so I ran 3 km and swam 10 laps. Swimming in a 3m pool(throughout) is intimidating at first. Since usually I swim in pools that are 1.2m at the side and slope to 2m in the middle.

So you know you need to do those 10 laps continously, no stops in between. Took me 50 min to do it. Oh well I'm not exactly fast.

But I feel good about myself now =)

Does colder water affect your breath stamina? Usually for breaststroke I swim 3 cycles before changing breath, freestyle two, but was down to 2 cycles for breaststroke and single cycle for freestyle today. Yes, indoor swimming pools here are colder then outdoor ones.

Water is actually denser when its cold. So denser water = more effort.

The density change is so insignificant that that's not it; it's the amount of energy your body needs to use to keep your inner core warm. Water is a MUCH better conductor of heat than air, so colder water reduces your core temperature much more quickly than warm water. Similar to having to stoke a furnace to maintain a constant temperature in the house, your body is forced to "kick up the fires" to keep you from freezing to death. Since it's spending so much energy maintaining your body temperature, it doesn't have as much to spare for other things.

That's why it gets easier once you're really exercising hard -- you're generating enough heat on your own that your body no longer needs to stoke the furnaces.

But as a man who's swum in 32-degree water, yeah, swimming in cold water is amazingly painful. I used to be able to swim a few miles in 60-degree water. I wouldn't want to try it right now...

EDIT: For example:
Density of water at standard pressure, 0° C = 0.9999 g/cm^3
Density of water at standard pressure, 20° C = 0.9982 g/cm^3
Density of water at standard pressure, 40° C = 0.9922 g/cm^3
If you want to claim you can feel a 0.7% change in density, more power to you; I'm certain I couldn't.

The Exchange

Freehold DM wrote:

Okay, I am sober now and I can explain better.

My friends and I were playing super fight last night and one of the cards drawn was "player to the left", which was me. And one of the powers that I had was a "tween army", which the player said was not a tween army, but the paizo.com messageboards. So it was me and everyone here against the saber tooth tiger and...I forget who the other party in the battle was. I drank a LOT of Irish cream.

OK if you gimme a mecha suit I don't mind giving the saber tooth tiger a shot, but my 5'1 little bit form would just be a snack otherwise...

Unless I could take snow leopard form, then you'd get a cat fight ^^

And Irish cream rocks, I approve!

The Exchange

The party couldn't even stealth if their life depended on it. The least sneaky guy has 12 dex and is wearing a magical breastplate. It's ACP - 2. So to save time rolling, I calculate take 10 for all stealths and perception, which means that unless a creature has a neg wis modifier, they can't fail to spot.

Furthermore moving in stealth mode reduces you to half speed or - 5 on stealth checks (unless you have fast stealth or something).

So unless you wanted your romp in the forest to take 14 days instead of 7...and even if you did it would make no difference to whether you get spotted(as above calculations), why even bother?


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

"You always were the more logical one" - Papa Yesterday, making my day.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

True story, I only just came into possession of the first alcohol I have ever owned thanks to a white elephant gift event.

It is a bottle of Irish Creme.

My guests next weekend should appreciate it.


Anime Wrap-Up Time!:

Goblin Slayer: After its brutal and controversial first episode, Goblin Slayer settles in to be a perfectly-serviceable, but nothing special, series. It kind of feels like they really went over the top on the first episode to get everyone talking about the series (there's no such thing as bad publicity) and then just produced a perfectly good sword-and-sorcery fantasy series. I'm not unhappy I watched it, and I'll probably watch a few more episodes as they trickle in, but all in all, nothing where I'm eagerly anticipating the next episode/installment.

Parasyte: A wonderfully-twisted tale about an "alien" "invasion". It's almost impossible to describe the plot without significant spoilers, but in a nutshell, True Neutral metamorphs invade Earth, and must "possess" humans and eat them to survive.

A little more that some might consider spoiler-y:
What's really interesting about this series is that they could have just gone with, "Boy accidentally gains alien powers and uses them to fight off an alien invasion", but instead they turn it into an insightful morality play: The protagonist not only has to deal with his own survival, but with questions of global morality: The creatures are only killing humans because they must. How is this any different from humans raising cattle for food? And since they can't reproduce, they're not really a threat to humanity, so is genocide against them OK? The show plays the brutal neutrality of both sides quite well (everyone just does what it takes to survive), and overall they're not TOO heavy-handed with it, but it's definitely a strong element of the series.

It's really amazingly twisted, and wraps up nicely in 24 episodes. Not truly "great" anime, but it was definitely worth our time to watch it.

Hi Score Girl: We were really hoping that the show had potential with its childish animation style and slavish fanboi-ism towards video and console games of the 1970s and 1980s, but that ends up being all that the series is: A fanboi tribute to old arcade games and consoles. And that sort of thing gets really boring really quickly.

Black Butler: We're only two episodes in, but we're loving it, from the Goth style to the twisted plotlines to the "Big Question": Who is truly Evil here? The child or his butler?
So far, excellent.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tequila Sunrise wrote:

True story, I only just came into possession of the first alcohol I have ever owned thanks to a white elephant gift event.

It is a bottle of Irish Creme.

My guests next weekend should appreciate it.

But your name is Tequila Sunrise.

Look, I get it's an Eagles song. I can respect that. They're amazing.

But "Take it Easy", "Hotel California", and "Desperado", "Lyin' Eyes", and more were all viable alternatives.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Tequila Sunrise wrote:

True story, I only just came into possession of the first alcohol I have ever owned thanks to a white elephant gift event.

It is a bottle of Irish Creme.

My guests next weekend should appreciate it.

crashes tequila sunrises house


NobodysHome wrote:

Anime Wrap-Up Time!:

Goblin Slayer: After its brutal and controversial first episode, Goblin Slayer settles in to be a perfectly-serviceable, but nothing special, series. It kind of feels like they really went over the top on the first episode to get everyone talking about the series (there's no such thing as bad publicity) and then just produced a perfectly good sword-and-sorcery fantasy series. I'm not unhappy I watched it, and I'll probably watch a few more episodes as they trickle in, but all in all, nothing where I'm eagerly anticipating the next episode/installment.

Parasyte: A wonderfully-twisted tale about an "alien" "invasion". It's almost impossible to describe the plot without significant spoilers, but in a nutshell, True Neutral metamorphs invade Earth, and must "possess" humans and eat them to survive.
** spoiler omitted **
It's really amazingly twisted, and wraps up nicely in 24 episodes. Not truly "great" anime, but it was definitely worth our time to watch it.

Hi Score Girl: We were really hoping that the show had potential with its childish animation style and slavish fanboi-ism towards video and console games of the 1970s and 1980s, but that ends...

parasyte is awesome. One of my few new school favorites. If you are a fan of Guyver, this should hit a lot of bells for you.

And yes, they are indeed True Neutral. This is nothing personal.

Scarab Sages

Can anyone here explain what's happened since 2014?

Things were bad enough before, but I feel gaslit to hell-and-gone now. Sudden Orwellian NewTruth/Invasion of the Body Snatchers that's been feeling worse every year.

I've earned a degree in what was mostly social studies, by the way, so I should know what's going on better than most people...but I no longer feel like I do. I can't tell if the problem is with me or other people.

I know this thread has a long-standing "no politics" principle, but how does one define "politics" when basic epistemology itself has become politicized? I saw a bit of what was being discussed about 20 pages ago from here, and it seemed pertinent enough for me to step in on that.


NobodysHome wrote:
Woran wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:
We always had an extra freezer, on account of butchering our own meat.
Us too. One of those big... my english is failing me... lying down ones? How do you call a fridge that sits on the floor like a big box and opens at the top? (as opposed to a standing fridge that opens like a closet)

I believe it's called a "free-standing freezer", but who knows?

And yes, we have one in the garage. But it's not so good for milk, beer, leftovers, or leafy greens. Go figure.

Around here it's called a "chest freezer", because it opens like a treasure chest (as opposed to something that freezes your chest). "Free-standing" could mean either the chest version or the upright freezers.

Shadow Lodge

4 people marked this as a favorite.
I'm Hiding In Your Closet wrote:

Can anyone here explain what's happened since 2014?

Things were bad enough before, but I feel gaslit to hell-and-gone now. Sudden Orwellian NewTruth/Invasion of the Body Snatchers that's been feeling worse every year.

I've earned a degree in what was mostly social studies, by the way, so I should know what's going on better than most people...but I no longer feel like I do. I can't tell if the problem is with me or other people.

I know this thread has a long-standing "no politics" principle, but how does one define "politics" when basic epistemology itself has become politicized? I saw a bit of what was being discussed about 20 pages ago from here, and it seemed pertinent enough for me to step in on that.

We do have a tendency to kind of edge around the no-politics rule from time to time when the subject of conversation drifts in that general direction, but this is a little too on-the-nose >_> So... to spoilers!

Politics warning, open at your own risk:
The best explanation I've seen is a shift in general perception of the population as a whole as to what politics and political parties (especially the latter) are supposed to do and be.

I read an article a couple of weeks ago - which I sadly cannot find again with a quick search, but if I stumble back onto it I'll link it or PM it to you - that explained the situation as such: in the past, particularly pre-1980-ish, the big difference between the Republicans and the Democrats basically came down to "we agree on the basics of generally most things, we just disagree on the methods that should be taken to achieve them." Democrats typically believed a larger, more robust central government with a minimal focus on hostilities and military might and a stronger focus on diplomacy and negotiation was the best arbiter of dealing with poverty, illness, legal disputes, managing crime, and international relations, while Republicans believed the federal government should be more reduced, more limited, and that those duties should be handled by state governments or private industry and the fed should be focused on keeping up our military defensive capability (it was the Cold War, after all) and a stern, strong presence toward the outside world.

This is, of course, massively generalizing, but it's more or less the basic assumption and perception of both parties, so bear with me here.

Sometime around the Nixon-Carter-Reagan-Bush 1 decade-and-change, however, that policy started to shift. And by the time of Bush 2 (mostly thanks to 9/11 and the conflicts that followed) and Obama (mostly thanks to the Republicans' insanely coordinated ability to utterly despise him, something even Bill Clinton didn't manage as well), it fully had changed. Trump is just the first president elected under this new mindset in its totality, and thus most strongly presents the results of the shift in a visible manner.

Now the parties primarily represent two different mindsets not just about politics and government, but about life in general. The Republican party stands for a rigid, unwavering, unchanging perception of reality that the world is a dangerous place, that we are constantly under attack, and that anything that is different from the norm (as they define norm) must be repulsed, rejected, refused, and if possible annihilated.

The Democrat position is exactly the opposite. They feel that while yes there is danger out there, the world is overall a safe and friendly place full of people we can work with for a better, more prosperous future. Thus, to their mindset, the most dangerous thing in the world is a reactionary hostility that sees difference and progress as a threat and is willing to respond to either with violence and oppression.

In short, the parties have moved from a position of "we agree on the basic premise, but disagree on the path to reach it" to a position of "we are inherently opposed on every possible basis to the mindset of the other party, and have nearly no points of belief where we overlap; [almost] all positions are directly and completely in opposition to those held on the same subject by the other side".

The overwhelming sense of the things you've complained of is pretty much just a direct and to some degree inevitable result of the Republican mindset of the modern day - that anything that doesn't fit into what a Republican considers "normal" (and given their demographics, that's "normal" as defined by a white, male, straight, conservative, Protestant Christian, middle- or upper-class person, probably in the 50-70 range with kids and probably grandkids) must be reacted to with hostility, suspicion, aggression, and an appearance of strength to bully and suborn the invader and either destroy them or drive them away.


6 people marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
Woran wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:
We always had an extra freezer, on account of butchering our own meat.
Us too. One of those big... my english is failing me... lying down ones? How do you call a fridge that sits on the floor like a big box and opens at the top? (as opposed to a standing fridge that opens like a closet)

I believe it's called a "free-standing freezer", but who knows?

And yes, we have one in the garage. But it's not so good for milk, beer, leftovers, or leafy greens. Go figure.

Around here it's called a "chest freezer", because it opens like a treasure chest (as opposed to something that freezes your chest). "Free-standing" could mean either the chest version or the upright freezers.

We call it a body freezer.

But my family ain't right.

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Politics:


2 people marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:
Vanykrye wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
Woran wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:
We always had an extra freezer, on account of butchering our own meat.
Us too. One of those big... my english is failing me... lying down ones? How do you call a fridge that sits on the floor like a big box and opens at the top? (as opposed to a standing fridge that opens like a closet)

I believe it's called a "free-standing freezer", but who knows?

And yes, we have one in the garage. But it's not so good for milk, beer, leftovers, or leafy greens. Go figure.

Around here it's called a "chest freezer", because it opens like a treasure chest (as opposed to something that freezes your chest). "Free-standing" could mean either the chest version or the upright freezers.

We call it a body freezer.

But my family ain't right.

You deserve all of the favorites.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
TriOmegaZero wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

That's it! Good find. TOZ has the link I mentioned, IHIYC.


Freehold DM wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:

Anime Wrap-Up Time!:

Goblin Slayer: After its brutal and controversial first episode, Goblin Slayer settles in to be a perfectly-serviceable, but nothing special, series. It kind of feels like they really went over the top on the first episode to get everyone talking about the series (there's no such thing as bad publicity) and then just produced a perfectly good sword-and-sorcery fantasy series. I'm not unhappy I watched it, and I'll probably watch a few more episodes as they trickle in, but all in all, nothing where I'm eagerly anticipating the next episode/installment.

Parasyte: A wonderfully-twisted tale about an "alien" "invasion". It's almost impossible to describe the plot without significant spoilers, but in a nutshell, True Neutral metamorphs invade Earth, and must "possess" humans and eat them to survive.
** spoiler omitted **
It's really amazingly twisted, and wraps up nicely in 24 episodes. Not truly "great" anime, but it was definitely worth our time to watch it.

Hi Score Girl: We were really hoping that the show had potential with its childish animation style and slavish fanboi-ism towards video and console games of the 1970s and 1980s, but that ends...

parasyte is awesome. One of my few new school favorites. If you are a fan of Guyver, this should hit a lot of bells for you.

And yes, they are indeed True Neutral. This is nothing personal.

Yeah, Shiro's son binge-watched it first, and we have a lot of respect for his taste, so we started watching it, loved it, and then wrapped it up over the long holiday.

It's one of those, "Well worth seeing, but I doubt I'll ever watch it again unless I'm showing it to someone who's never seen it" series.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

WE HAVE A FRIDGE!!!!!

And we've gone from 24.2 cubic feet to 28.7 cubic feet. Just about Impus Major's volume, I'd reckon...


9 people marked this as a favorite.

A short political response:
Having lived through all the presidents in question and been of voting age through much of it, I can place the blame squarely on the shoulders of one man (who, by the way, admits that he did it and is proud of the result): Newt Gingrich and his 1994 "Contract with America", wherein he essentially promised that Republicans would:
(1) Vote as a single bloc
(2) Always oppose Democrats, no matter what they were trying to do.

It has been enormously successful in cementing Republican power, and it has turned politics into a sports-like event where "fans" excuse inexcusable behavior and underhanded tricks just because it helps "their team" win: "I don't care that he embezzled millions of dollars in campaign funds to spend on hookers, robots, and blow! He's a Republican, and I'm voting Republican, darn it! Because the Demoncrats are stupid and evil!"

As an independent, I will say that the Republicans have been much, much better at voting as a bloc and demonizing the Democrats than vice versa. But the new alt-left movement is trying to change all that. And it's NOT an improvement.

Shadow Lodge

4 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Response:
Oh gods yes. I have lost count sooooooo many times of the people around me saying "Well at least X isn't a Democrat" or something similar. Anything Trump does is okay with 99% of the people in my immediate area, because he has an R after his name. It doesn't matter what he's doing, he's a Republican and we vote Republican, dammit.

Which is, predictably, having the side effect of making people okay with the stuff he does, above and beyond the fact that he's doing it for the sake of their party (supposedly). In addition to the above, I've heard a great deal of "well of course we should do that, why did we never consider it before?" And have to bite my tongue every time because the answer is inevitably "because everyone with half a brain and a quarter of a pint of morality, on both sides of the aisle, used to know that was a BAD THING!"

Also woo fellow independents~


2 people marked this as a favorite.
John Napier 698 wrote:
So, my mother's doctor had to retire due to a back injury. She asked for a new insurance card with a new doctor on it. And what did the insurance company do? They sent her a new card with the old doctor's name on it. Seriously? WTF people? What part of "This doctor is retired" do these idiots not understand? My mother is seriously pissed right now. Monday morning, they and mother will have a conversation that they will not enjoy.

So, to sum up current events, the new card was generated automatically on Dec. 13 and mailed. My mother will receive her new card by Friday or Saturday. She said to say "Thank you" to everyone for their well wishes.

Shadow Lodge

Glad everything's straightening itself out. Best of luck.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Why is Slime Rancher so cute?


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Man oh man, am i glad i got a fresh supply of flammable bikes for Christmas!

wraps bikes in extra sparkly tinsel and aims for the refrigerators.


Errena Baneth Amedek, Princess Of Duk-Arath, because everything is better with princesses!


Thanks, Orthos.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Fritzy, Flaming Bike Artillery wrote:

Man oh man, am i glad i got a fresh supply of flammable bikes for Christmas!

wraps bikes in extra sparkly tinsel and aims for the refrigerators.

Noooooooo! Not the fridge! It is so sparkly and new!!!

(Erects barrier of still-in-their-wrapping copies of Gundam DVDs and Star Wars action figures. It's expensive, but it's worth it...)


I finally went to Walmart this morning and bought a set of flannel sheets on clearance.
It's supposed to snow this week, and our bedroom has two exterior walls.
Whingey Wizzard has to work tonight from 4 until 10, so the kids and I are doing the jammies-movies-couch thing and maybe playing Dragonwood.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
Fritzy, Flaming Bike Artillery wrote:

Man oh man, am i glad i got a fresh supply of flammable bikes for Christmas!

wraps bikes in extra sparkly tinsel and aims for the refrigerators.

Noooooooo! Not the fridge! It is so sparkly and new!!!

(Erects barrier of still-in-their-wrapping copies of Gundam DVDs and Star Wars action figures. It's expensive, but it's worth it...)

fritzy, aim for the jar jar action figures.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Don't aim for the Jar-Jars! It will make the barrier slightly open, which means it will be a Jar-Jar ajar! Nobody needs that!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Politics:

Spoiler:
To expand on what Orthos and NH have said, starting in the 70s with the Powell Memo, corporatist conservatives started pouring money into founding conservative institutions and funding political research. The result was they discovered a quirk of Human nature, and how to use that quirk to shift the very landscape of public opinion their way, rather than shifting opinions on an issue-by-issue basis. The quirk is this: People don't just see reality and facts as they are, we think metaphorically and we make moral judgments about facts and reality based on those metaphors.

The relevant metaphor for country and government is the family, and two very different visions of the ideal family give rise to all the fundamental differences in both means and goals between progressivism and modern radical conservatism. Since the Powell Memo, conservative think tanks have identified the conservative family vision, aka the Strict Father Family model, as well as its implications, and to use this metaphor to frame every issue with their 'values' in order to make the nation ever more radically conservative.

If you've heard people talking about political framing, this is what they're talking about, and it's what conservative elites are talking about with all their talk of family 'values.' Progressives and Democrats are unfortunately behind; we have our Nurturant Parent Family model and the family values to go with it, but largely leave it all un-noted, unspoken, implicit, unframed, and therefore impotent.

If you're interested in this stuff and how we can turn this country around, I can't recommend George Lakoff enough. His book Don't Think of an Elephant goes into detail about how framing works and how we can use it for good, and his The Political Mind book talk on YouTube is a quicker intro.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:
Tequila Sunrise wrote:

True story, I only just came into possession of the first alcohol I have ever owned thanks to a white elephant gift event.

It is a bottle of Irish Creme.

My guests next weekend should appreciate it.

But your name is Tequila Sunrise.

Look, I get it's an Eagles song. I can respect that. They're amazing.

But "Take it Easy", "Hotel California", and "Desperado", "Lyin' Eyes", and more were all viable alternatives.

This is not the first time I've kicked myself for thoughtlessly typing in the song I happened to be listening to at that moment into that username field.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:

I finally went to Walmart this morning and bought a set of flannel sheets on clearance.

It's supposed to snow this week, and our bedroom has two exterior walls.
Whingey Wizzard has to work tonight from 4 until 10, so the kids and I are doing the jammies-movies-couch thing and maybe playing Dragonwood.

Dragonwood is a good game. I killed a dragon by shouting at it.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
John Napier 698 wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:

I finally went to Walmart this morning and bought a set of flannel sheets on clearance.

It's supposed to snow this week, and our bedroom has two exterior walls.
Whingey Wizzard has to work tonight from 4 until 10, so the kids and I are doing the jammies-movies-couch thing and maybe playing Dragonwood.
Dragonwood is a good game. I killed a dragon by shouting at it.

...

That might explain lingering signs of headache...


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:

Hey guys, quick question.

Whom among you would fight a saber tooth tiger wearing a robotic exoskeleton for me?

Said saber tooth tiger may have had up to 5 energy drinks.

Asking for a friend.

I certainly will, but I want a futuristic polearm. If I can have that, and a pair of rollerskates, and a crate of Space Guinness and a Nicki Minaj clone for afters, I will also happily forego the exoskeleton.


John Napier 698 wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:

I finally went to Walmart this morning and bought a set of flannel sheets on clearance.

It's supposed to snow this week, and our bedroom has two exterior walls.
Whingey Wizzard has to work tonight from 4 until 10, so the kids and I are doing the jammies-movies-couch thing and maybe playing Dragonwood.
Dragonwood is a good game. I killed a dragon by shouting at it.

Hermione's auntie gave her a copy for Christmas. We played it at the airport yesterday while we were waiting for our flight.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber
Vanykrye wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
Woran wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:
We always had an extra freezer, on account of butchering our own meat.
Us too. One of those big... my english is failing me... lying down ones? How do you call a fridge that sits on the floor like a big box and opens at the top? (as opposed to a standing fridge that opens like a closet)

I believe it's called a "free-standing freezer", but who knows?

And yes, we have one in the garage. But it's not so good for milk, beer, leftovers, or leafy greens. Go figure.

Around here it's called a "chest freezer", because it opens like a treasure chest (as opposed to something that freezes your chest). "Free-standing" could mean either the chest version or the upright freezers.

Ah. Chest freezer. Yeah.


Oh, and we saw the new Mary Poppins!
My mom gave us a movie gift card so we could go see it on Boxing Day.

Other than stating that Emily Blunt's portrayal of Mary Poppins (her tone of voice, her bemused asides, her side-eye) had us all screaming, "OMG! It's Goth Bard!", I'm going to spoiler this for, well,

SPOILERS:

What I loved and didn't love:

The moment the dolphin appeared, I was hooked.
So, yes, the scene that immediately followed owed more to Bedknobs and Broomsticks than to the original Mary, but it was awesome and I really didn't care.

Emily Blunt was amazing. I adored her.

My second-favorite actor/character? David Warner as the old admiral. Nuanced, hit me in the feels.

Okay, and Angela Lansbury's cameo? Delightful.

And I had to hit "Edit" because I forgot about Dick Van D$%#! I'm ashamed. He was awesome. Particularly tap-dancing at his age.

Minor gripes:

Lin-Manuel was so very obviously not so much acting as just drifting through the movie like a little kid on Christmas morning with a goofy amazed grin on his face.

Ben Whishaw, who after "The Hour" I would watch in just about anything, wasn't given enough to do.

Yes, a few of the songs were too forced. I'm a fan of Shaiman's work; I loved what he did for the movie "Down with Love". But, no, the songs weren't exactly catchy. My very very favorite was the music hall duet ("A Cover is not the Book").

And, yes, Meryl Streep's number was a bit annoying.

I really liked the big dance number with the lamplighters. Except, yes, for the bicycles.

The only two things I *really* didn't like, mostly because they buried the needle on my "willing suspension of disbelief" meter:

Jane's love interest. Nope, wouldn't happen. Wouldn't have been encouraged.

The Big Ben stunt/climax. Just stupid.


So, all in all, a few grumbles, but I really enjoyed it, and the kids are already asking when Netflix will start streaming it.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tequila Sunrise wrote:

True story, I only just came into possession of the first alcohol I have ever owned thanks to a white elephant gift event.

It is a bottle of Irish Creme.

My guests next weekend should appreciate it.

Alcohol is 7 calories per gram! You're probably better off if you don't start drinking =P Besides I think TS's liver has enough stress as it is.

215,151 to 215,200 of 240,400 << first < prev | 4299 | 4300 | 4301 | 4302 | 4303 | 4304 | 4305 | 4306 | 4307 | 4308 | 4309 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.