Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

203,251 to 203,300 of 240,359 << first < prev | 4061 | 4062 | 4063 | 4064 | 4065 | 4066 | 4067 | 4068 | 4069 | 4070 | 4071 | next > last >>
The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Sharoth wrote:
My wife's 14ish year old cat just passed away today. RIP Ozzy. You will be missed.

I'm sorry for Ozzy. May he rest in peace and have tons of catnip and mice to chase in kitty heaven.

Its ok. I was so sad my fur fell out.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:

Today was my first day of work at the Texas school!

Everyone was very friendly and enthusiastic at me. They wanted to make sure I felt welcomed, by gosh.
For an introvert, it was pretty exhausting.
Also, I'm going to get drafted onto the Library Committee, which is not entirely a bad thing.

House update:
The new gas line got installed today, the inspection is scheduled for tomorrow, and if all goes well, I should be able to cook dinner tomorrow night!
Hermione and I planted the window box in front of the living room window with vinca and zinnias, and set Leon, our garden gnome, on top of the mulch.

BUT, when the plumber looked at the water heater to find out what was going on with it, he said it may have to be replaced entirely, so we may not be able to have showers until at least Wednesday.

*Sends hugs to LM + family*

Good to hear that you're being welcomed so enthusiastically.
Not so good to hear about the need for a new water heater, I do hope you've found a solution to the not-showering thing…

Just a Mort wrote:
Flogging is better. There's a visceral joy in whipping it good.

O_O

Kitty...

*Sniffles*

You're welcome in my dungeo… extra comfy holding-room anytime!.

*Whip crack!*

lisamarlene wrote:

We seem to have a fix for the missing drivers license dilemma!

After losing my wallet on the way between California and Texas, I now cannot get a Texas DL because I can't prove my identity, and I cannot get the Cali DL replaced without going back to California. My passport expired last year, so it's not an acceptable form of identification according to Texas rules.

BUT, if I send in my expired passport by mail and pay $30 for the renewal fee to just get the passport card, that will count as valid proof of citizenship AND identification, and I can get my Texas DL. Hopefully. So I'm going to get a passport photo taken before work tomorrow and getting the application in the mail.

Boo! for losing your wallet and licence (and other stuff probably)

Yaay! for finding a solution though.

Sharoth wrote:
My wife's 14ish year old cat just passed away today. RIP Ozzy. You will be missed.

Missed indeed.

It's never easy to say goodbye to loved ones. Being 14 years old means Ozzy likely was a fixture in your home, a dependable and comforting presence that made your home 'home' and your family 'family'...
Now there a piece of both home and family gone.

Sorry if I'm dragging in it...
I just wanted to say I understand.

*Offers hugs and consolation to Sharoth and family*


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

We're working 6 blocks from home, boss gave me permission to have Crookshanks join us after school registration.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Learn well, Crookshanks. Not all of life's important skills are taught in a classroom.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Today's lesson will include "How a 140 pound human can build steps out of 600 pound blocks by himself without dying".


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I thought for sure someone would get my A Tribe Called Quest reference.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm assuming that was losing the wallet in El Segundo. It flew over my head, since I was not quick enough to catch it.


7 people marked this as a favorite.

In other news today:

Scrubbed (completely, with a g@@ d!*ned stiff brush) down a couple of stable stalls, sprayed them with anti-parasite + anti-fugus + anti-all-most-everything, replaced/cleaned troughs + waterers.
So now we have two brand spanking shiny stalls ready for our new two occupants - a pair of colt-yearlings.

Lazy coworker got chewed out by the boss for not pulling his weight today. Wasn't pretty, kind of felt sorry for him even if he is a bit of a dolt and, well, is pretty lazy.

Found a loose dog running around in the street, outside my apartment, dodging traffic and appearing rather confused/lost. So I pulled him aside, checked him over for cuts and bruises but didn't find anything.
Checked for dog-tag, and nope, none (technically fineable).
Checked for ear-marks, and nope, none (phased out up here in favour of chipping, so not that uncommon).
Felt around for a chip, couldn't find one (not unusual either as they are freaking small and easy to miss - but if its missing, definitely fineable).
So I took him inside, feed and watered him, and made him a jury-rigged doggie bed. Once he'd taken to his new bed, I took a short walk up to a friend to borrow his high-def camera, came back took his picture.
You see, there's a (local) face-book page for missing pets, so I threw up his pic with a comment on if anyone was missing him.
There after I called the nearby animal shelter, vent and even the local police-station and gave them a description of the dog and my number if anyone contacted them about missing him.
And lo and beholde about 30 min ago an woman, called me about said dog. She came by 10 min later, and judging from the dogs reaction, they knew each other very well.

From dog owner to alone again during a single afternoon.
*Sigh*
Though, I don't regret doing a small good deed…
(Even if his owner obvious lack of dog-tag and other "marking" is gnawing at me a bit...I just don't like telling people what they should or shouldn't do with their pets…unless we're talking mistreatment!)


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Kjeldorn wrote:


From dog owner to alone again during a single afternoon.
*Sigh*
Though, I don't regret doing a small good deed…
(Even if his owner obvious lack of dog-tag and other "marking" is gnawing at me a bit...I just don't like telling people what they should or shouldn't do with their pets…unless we're talking...

You did a good thing Kjel.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Kjeldorn, you need to make yourself a superhero alias, that's equal to at least ten good deeds.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Our dog's head is smaller than his neck so his collar slips off quite often.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

We tried to put our Savannah in a harness to take her out for walks (this is something most Savannahs really enjoy), but she just Houdinis out of it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Now we have to wait for the concrete guys to get done.

At least it's an easy day for Crookshanks.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

The only Savannahs I know.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

In no particular order, that is.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Crookshanks installed her first two steps!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hi, Everyone.

Sharoth, sorry about your kitty. Having lost my own cat years ago, I know the pain that you and your wife feels. I sympathize. Goodbye, Ozzy.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
TriOmegaZero wrote:
I have yet to use anything from Occult Adventures except a dip into Spiritualist for massive Will save bonuses.

Oh wait, I used the ectoplasmic bloodline for my sorcerer in Scooby Doo and the Carrion Crown.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

What the workshop leader meant to say: "Go back to the hub site to log back in as an instructor."

What the workshop leader actually said: "Go home and log into the adult website."

It took a solid minute for the giggles to stop.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hey John.

and Hey everyone else :P

Went for a swim and did a bit of shopping...
Now? Just flopping around lazily.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I went to work.

I came home.

I cleaned the house.

I went and did some p*l*t*cs.

I packed my gear up for tomorrow.

I am having a Lithuanian beer.

We got our sales bonus this year, which is a decent wodge of cash, so I am also contemplating daggers.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Kjeldorn and Crookshanks get Virtue Cookies!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Kjel gets some Rum to go with his cookies. :)


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Crookshanks made coworker's day/year/decade.

She asked him "is there anything else you want me to do?" at least twice.

The first time he stopped what he was doing and said "you know, I think you're the first person under thirty that has asked me that"


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I started to make my first play test character, Zordlon! The great! (yes the exclamation points are essential) an elven sorcerer.

So far I've just figured out his ability scores and ancestry feat but I'm very excited.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Oh right, that's why I hate 9th level casters, spells.

Is it too late to make a rogue.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
The only Savannahs I know.

This would be the cat version.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:

lisamarlene - losing a wallet always, always sucks. I'm sorry you're going through the replacement process. My license expired without the option to renew coming in the mail (I knew it expired on my birthday, the only question was which one - turns out it was this one!) and I had to be informed by the car rental place (they're loaning me a car while Ford fixes the airbag problem in mine - or at least while Ford thinks about doing so, but, as it's been two years, they don't seem to be in a hurry). So I was able to get a temporary license until I could fix everything, but fixing everything was a hassle.

LM - Between hot water heater and wallet...those are not "minor inconveniences", especially with starting the new job. Tell you what though, I know a guy. He can get you a replacement ID on the cheap, seeing your circumstances. You just have to provide him a picture, and he'll get his laminator out...err...wait...I've said too much.

Tac - That's not Ford's fault, honestly (and yes, I'm defending an automotive giant that just recalled 1.4 million F-series pickups for seat belt fires). That airbag fiasco is because of one supplier, Takata, that made faulty airbag inflators and over half the world's auto industry was using them. The only car manufacturer that would be partially to blame on that one is Honda. But ultimately, because this is the largest automobile recall in the history of recalls, and second place is not remotely close, Takata has not been able to supply the replacement airbags fast enough, and they've been less than accurate in telling the automakers when they'll have their parts.

On a completely coincidental note, those 1.4 million trucks Ford just recalled? Faulty seat belt pretensioners are setting the seat belts on fire in crashes. There are two suppliers involved, and one of them is Takata. Again. Which means 1.4 million is just the start of this one, since you know it's not going to be just Ford using that same part from those...

That's good to know, and actually helps - no one at the Ford place or the company itself actually tells me anything about it when I ask questions, except, it's being recalled for safety concerns, and I have no idea where to start looking.

I'm not so very concerned with their slow speed in and of itself, I'm frustrated at the lack of communication, and the fact that it's taken them two years to decide to do anything, but, "Yeah, keep waiting..."

Which, to be fair, might have to do with expectations on another company, but it's frustrating to just be told, "Sorry, you just have to wait. Because."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Zordlon! is taking shape, kind of, he'll probably die.

Zordlon!

CG Elven Sorcerer, green dragon bloodline*

Str: 10 Dex: 14 Con: 12 Int: 14 Wis: 12 Cha: 16

Otherworldly magic ancestry feat
Family friend background (from the play test adventure, knows a lot of Deverins)
Dangerous sorcery class feat.

*(was originally going to go with angelic but hated that they used the divine spell list, and fey was too cliche, even for me, and if I took imperial I might as well just make a wizard, and there's more than enough elven wizards out there.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:
Kjeldorn and Crookshanks get Virtue Cookies!

Dawww…

Thanks LM!

*Munches on digital cookies while humming "I did it all for the cookies!, Come on! the cookies!, Come on!..."*

John Napier 698 wrote:
Kjel gets some Rum to go with his cookies. :)

Great idea John!

;P

*Finds a glass, pours himself a glass of Rum and clinks it lightly against his screen, in a "cheers" motion*


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Wait.

Vanykrye wrote:

Tac - That's not Ford's fault, honestly (and yes, I'm defending an automotive giant that just recalled 1.4 million F-series pickups for seat belt fires).

<snip>
On a completely coincidental note, those 1.4 million trucks Ford just recalled? Faulty seat belt pretensioners are setting the seat belts on fire in crashes. There are two suppliers involved, and one of them is Takata. Again.

Wait.

Vanykrye wrote:

an automotive giant that just recalled 1.4 million F-series pickups for seat belt fires).

<snip>
Faulty seat belt pretensioners are setting the seat belts on fire in crashes. There are two suppliers involved, and one of them is Takata. Again.

Wait.

Vanykrye wrote:

seat belt fires).

<snip>
Faulty seat belt pretensioners are setting the seat belts on fire in crashes.
<snip>
Takata. Again.

Waaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Vanykrye wrote:

seat belt fires

<snip>
Faulty seat belt pretensioners are setting the seat belts on fire

W-... whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Wat.

What?

WHAT?!

... what?

Vanykrye wrote:
Takata. Again.

:L

:O

:I


1 person marked this as a favorite.

How does that even.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:
Faulty seat belt pretensioners are setting the seat belts on fire in crashes.

How does... why... by what... just...

Vanykrye wrote:
seat belt fires

o.O?

This, alone, feels like some absurdity that just... that... how.

"Oh, hey, careful with the seatbelts."

"You mean the life-saving devices integral to millions not dying every day?"

"Yeah, they'll trap you in place, then set you on fire."

Just...

ಠ_ಠ

For the curious.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Like, I read that, and went, "Oh, wow, that sounds bad." Then I really began thinking about it. How, exactly, does one take a life-saving device and accidentally turn it into a lethal deathtrap!

It's just... I guess it's a new slogan time.

"Takata: Innovations Beyond Reason"


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Yes, the key word is "pyrotechnic". So far, anything Takata has made that has anything to do with controlled explosions has gone poorly, to say the least.

Also FYI, Takata is partially owned by Honda, and Honda helped participate in the airbag cover-up.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

"Takata: Life-saving devices, for people you hate!"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Of course, the problem I found with the play test is that as I'm making my character I think "this would be so much cooler in Starfinder!"


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

What I said "There is no way in hell I'm going back to that s~*#hole, I f~&&ing hate that town!"

What my brother said I said "Captain Yesterday has a previous engagement and sends his regrets"

Lucky for him I'm not in Facebook and can't contradict him.

The Exchange

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Kjeldorn, did you ever think of adopting a dog from an animal shelter. You like animals around you and I believe the feeling is mutal.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:

What I said "There is no way in hell I'm going back to that s&+#hole, I f@#%ing hate that town!"

What my brother said I said "Captain Yesterday has a previous engagement and sends his regrets"

Lucky for him I'm not in Facebook and can't contradict him.

Oh, you've been to Minocqua?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

The Austin Lounge Lizards, one of my favorite bands (and not just for their brilliant bluegrass rendition of "Brain Damage" with mandolin and banjo) did a song called "That Godforsaken Hellhole I Call Home".


9 people marked this as a favorite.

S***show Update, Day Seven:

So last week, after we discovered that the gas line to the house was leaking and the plumbers would need to replace it before we could get the stove and water heater running, we also noticed that the water heater did not have a drain pan installed underneath it. Kinda bad, because if it leaks (which water heaters will invariably do), it goes straight into the wooden support underneath, and I'm allergic to mold.

So they sent an unlicensed contractor with no plumbing skills to "fix" it. I caught him watching YouTube videos in the hallway because he didn't know what he was doing. He managed to crack the heater drain valve so, yes, it started leaking. So he disconnected it, which is why we've had no water to the showers since Friday.

Then he lied to his boss about it. He has since been fired.
Then his boss got fired by the property manager.

Yesterday, after the (good, licensed, and therefore expensive) plumber spent all day replacing the gas line, he tested it, found it ready, and called in to the city for an inspection.
When the city inspector arrived today, he found *another* unlicensed contractor attempting to fix what the first guy had messed up. This guy broke off the PVC pipe that had been in the water heater drain valve, flooded the floor with water, and then blew our inspection of the new gas line by opting to replace a bent valve, which released the test pressure.

Just then a THIRD unlicensed contractor arrived at the door as back-up for guy number two. The city inspector kicked them both out of the house, red tagged our water heater for five separate hazardous conditions, and notified the "contractors" of potential $4000 fines per violation.

So Whingey Wizzard sent a lengthy angry email to the property manager, who is somewhere in Georgia, who promptly called him back and promised us to credit us this month's prorated rent off of next month's rent and to fix everything by Friday. Allegedly the GOOD plumber who replaced the gas line is supposed to come out tomorrow with his partner and replace the water heater and anything else associated with it that he thinks needs replacing.

But in the meantime, ALL the water to the house has been shut off. As in we can't even flush the toilets. So I bought five gallons of water at Kroger for washing, teeth brushing and coffee.

I WANT HEADS ON PIKES.
Forget "getting medieval" on someone, I want to sic George R. R. Martin on them.

This is no longer funny or farcical, I am no longer ready to laugh at the absurdity, it is no longer an adventure, I AM F***ING P*$$ED OFF.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

And you have every right to be very, very upset LM. I do hope that these issues get fixed soon.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Or, you could drag all the unlicensed contractors into court and watch them squirm. No threats, no prior notices, just drop the hammer on them.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
lisamarlene wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:

What I said "There is no way in hell I'm going back to that s&+#hole, I f@#%ing hate that town!"

What my brother said I said "Captain Yesterday has a previous engagement and sends his regrets"

Lucky for him I'm not in Facebook and can't contradict him.

Oh, you've been to Minocqua?

Monroe.

But yes, I've been to Minocqua, it is also a s$*$hole.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:

What I said "There is no way in hell I'm going back to that s&+#hole, I f@#%ing hate that town!"

What my brother said I said "Captain Yesterday has a previous engagement and sends his regrets"

Lucky for him I'm not in Facebook and can't contradict him.

Oh, you've been to Minocqua?

Monroe.

But yes, I've been to Minocqua, it is also a s+*$hole.

We went near/through Monroe when we went to Mt. Horeb and then your place a couple weekends ago. I didn't see enough to form an impression.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
John Napier 698 wrote:
Or, you could drag all the unlicensed contractors into court and watch them squirm. No threats, no prior notices, just drop the hammer on them.

As much as I like this option, I don't know if LM and Whingey would be the ones considered to have standing or if it would have to be the property manager/owner, due to who ends up having to pay for it all.

This is an area NH would be better at answering, with the usual "I am not a lawyer" disclaimers. But he's dealt with being a property manager and he's dealt with incompetent repair people, so he may have an inside viewpoint. Granted, it would be tainted by California, and Texas is basically the anti-California, so mileage in the mirror may be more grotesque than it appears.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:
John Napier 698 wrote:
Or, you could drag all the unlicensed contractors into court and watch them squirm. No threats, no prior notices, just drop the hammer on them.

As much as I like this option, I don't know if LM and Whingey would be the ones considered to have standing or if it would have to be the property manager/owner, due to who ends up having to pay for it all.

This is an area NH would be better at answering, with the usual "I am not a lawyer" disclaimers. But he's dealt with being a property manager and he's dealt with incompetent repair people, so he may have an inside viewpoint. Granted, it would be tainted by California, and Texas is basically the anti-California, so mileage in the mirror may be more grotesque than it appears.

I was being facetious.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
John Napier 698 wrote:
Vanykrye wrote:
John Napier 698 wrote:
Or, you could drag all the unlicensed contractors into court and watch them squirm. No threats, no prior notices, just drop the hammer on them.

As much as I like this option, I don't know if LM and Whingey would be the ones considered to have standing or if it would have to be the property manager/owner, due to who ends up having to pay for it all.

This is an area NH would be better at answering, with the usual "I am not a lawyer" disclaimers. But he's dealt with being a property manager and he's dealt with incompetent repair people, so he may have an inside viewpoint. Granted, it would be tainted by California, and Texas is basically the anti-California, so mileage in the mirror may be more grotesque than it appears.

I was being facetious.

Oh. It sounded good though.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:
John Napier 698 wrote:
Vanykrye wrote:
John Napier 698 wrote:
Or, you could drag all the unlicensed contractors into court and watch them squirm. No threats, no prior notices, just drop the hammer on them.

As much as I like this option, I don't know if LM and Whingey would be the ones considered to have standing or if it would have to be the property manager/owner, due to who ends up having to pay for it all.

This is an area NH would be better at answering, with the usual "I am not a lawyer" disclaimers. But he's dealt with being a property manager and he's dealt with incompetent repair people, so he may have an inside viewpoint. Granted, it would be tainted by California, and Texas is basically the anti-California, so mileage in the mirror may be more grotesque than it appears.

I was being facetious.
Oh. It sounded good though.

I agree that it does sound like a good idea.

203,251 to 203,300 of 240,359 << first < prev | 4061 | 4062 | 4063 | 4064 | 4065 | 4066 | 4067 | 4068 | 4069 | 4070 | 4071 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.