Krystallos: Shibbati

Game Master JGray

Long sealed away, the necropolis of Shibbati will soon be opened. A lottery is being held to determine which adventuring companies can explore which sections of the dead city. Will you find secrets? Treasures? Or just your deaths?

The Krystallos wiki

The Shibbati section

Roll20 Battle Map

Current Init Order
Skeletons: 16
Gil: 15
Lilia: 12
Dorian: 7
Seeker: 7


101 to 150 of 500 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Male Human Urban Barbarian 1

With a sigh the barbarian drops the rope back into the pit. Things were becoming unnecessarily complex in a way he had not anticipated.

"Everything seems clear here Master Raphiel." calls Gil to the next
room.


Male Human Swashbuckler 2, HP 18, Init +4, Perception +0, Panache 3.5, speed 30, Acrobatics 9, Nobility 3, Barrister 4, Saves 2/7/0, AC 19/14/15, Rapier (18-20) +6 (1d6+1)

"Hey, does anyone have another rope? Attach it to the piton here, and I'll climb down."


Male Human Investigator (Empiricist) 1

The problem with that is we don't know how deep the put is yet Dorian until J. Posts about my flash powder. If it's 200 feet deep you'll just end up dangling 100 feet down a pit.

-Posted with Wayfinder


Female Human(Amazonite) Alchemist 1; HP 13/13 ; Init +3; Perception +4 ; AC 15; Spells: cure light wounds, 'open spellslot' Bombs:7/7

Lilia sniffs, trying to recognise the smell.
Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Knowlege(Nature): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22


Male Human Swashbuckler 2, HP 18, Init +4, Perception +0, Panache 3.5, speed 30, Acrobatics 9, Nobility 3, Barrister 4, Saves 2/7/0, AC 19/14/15, Rapier (18-20) +6 (1d6+1)

"Oh, we don't know how deep it is. Does someone have some oil? We could take the ten feet of rope, pour oil on it, light it on fire, and drop it in. Then, we'd know how deep it was."


Female Human(Amazonite) Alchemist 1; HP 13/13 ; Init +3; Perception +4 ; AC 15; Spells: cure light wounds, 'open spellslot' Bombs:7/7

"I have some"
Lilia takes out a flask of oil out of her bandolier and hands it to Dorian, reducing her suplie to 4 flask.


I believe Tobias already has the "dropping burning things down the hole to see how deep it is" angle covered.

The packet of flash powder falls down into the darkness. After a moment, there's a burst of bright light that briefly illuminates a worked stone floor before the darkness swallows it up again. Using the Taviston Method of determining distance via maximum rate of vertical acceleration (yes, this is a thing) Tobias is able to calculate that the the flash powder fell fifty feet (give or take half a foot) before hitting a solid object and igniting.

Lilia, the air from the shaft has a musty odor to it. Stale. Much like you would expect from air from a closed, underground location with little circulation. It should be safe enough to breathe, if a bit unpleasant.


Male Human Investigator (Empiricist) 1

"Fifty feet down it looks like, standard spool of rope should do the trick."

"Bastion I believe you have a hammer and pitons correct? I believe we should drive a new security line. I'm loathe to trust anything in this tomb. "

"I suggest we drive a new piton and lower Dorian down to take a quick look around, and then we can lift him if anything presents itself as an immediate threat. "

-Posted with Wayfinder


Male Human Urban Barbarian 1

"I'll just lower him down by hand for now. I could probably lift him back up faster than he could climb."

Gil offers the end of the length of rope from his pack to Dorian. "Ready?"


Male Human Swashbuckler 2, HP 18, Init +4, Perception +0, Panache 3.5, speed 30, Acrobatics 9, Nobility 3, Barrister 4, Saves 2/7/0, AC 19/14/15, Rapier (18-20) +6 (1d6+1)

"Sure, I'm ready! Here, let me grab the rope. Are you ready? Then lower me down."


Male Human Urban Barbarian 1

Strength?: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

"Good luck then" says Gil as he lowers the Swashbuckler into the pit.


Male Human Investigator (Empiricist) 1

What a beast.

"Good luck, give us a tug on the rope once you get down there and two more after that if it's all clear."

-Posted with Wayfinder


A quick bit of knot work turns the rope into a harness for Dorian, allowing Gil to lower him down the shaft.

The map has been updated with the new chamber. You can tell which chamber it is because Dorian's in it.

Slowly, Dorian sinks down the shaft, holding a torch with one hand. The shaft walls remain smooth the entire way down. There's no sign of a ladder and it quickly become clear - no one was ever intended to return to the surface once descending this shaft. Not without help from another party, at least.

Finally, the shaft opens up into a room exactly the same size as the chamber above. At this point, Gil has reached the end of the rope. Dorian dangles roughly three feet above the floor.

Dorian's view of the room:
The walls of this room are smooth and bare of decoration. All, that is, except for the ornate pair of stone doors built into the west wall. Mirrored image of a kobold warrior in profile, facing inward, are carved on the doors. The figure is depicted wearing some sort of padded armor and wielding a scarab-shaped shield on one arm and a raised khopesh in the other. A crumpled humanoid body lies directly in the front of the doors and dried stains lead from the floor directly beneath the shaft to the body.


Male Human Swashbuckler 2, HP 18, Init +4, Perception +0, Panache 3.5, speed 30, Acrobatics 9, Nobility 3, Barrister 4, Saves 2/7/0, AC 19/14/15, Rapier (18-20) +6 (1d6+1)

Dorian will unharness himself, jump down, then tug on the rope once, wait a bit, then twice more.

"Hey, there's a dead body down here. There's also a pair of stone doors to the west." Dorian shouts upward.


Male Human Urban Barbarian 1

Gil calls back "See if he wants to be friends." followed by a hearty laugh. Afterwards he sets about trying to secure the line so the rest could climb down.

Can I use the flat of my axe to set a piton?


Sure you can.


Male Human Urban Barbarian 1

Gil resets the piton and quickly ties the rope around it. "Alright, I'm coming down" he calls down into the pit and then grabs the rope and follows Dorian.

Climb: 10 + 4 = 14
Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20


The difficulty to climb down with the rope and a wall to put your back against is only a 5. You're all allowed to take 10 here so you can all make it down easily enough.


Male Human Investigator (Empiricist) 1

Tobias will be next down into the room below.

Taking 10 on the way down.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Since the door was sealed shut to the tomb Tobias is pretty interested in this dead body. Can he roll a knowledge history, local or religion to know if it's customary for ancient Citrinic burial rites to include some form of sacrifice? I'll roll for inspiration now to speed things along in case I can. Taking 10 on the knowledge.

Inspiration : 1d6 ⇒ 4

Knowledge Check of 23

-Posted with Wayfinder


The walls of this room are smooth and bare of decoration. All, that is, except for the ornate pair of stone doors built into the west wall. Mirrored image of a kobold warrior in profile, facing inward, are carved on the doors. The figure is depicted wearing some sort of padded armor and wielding a scarab-shaped shield on one arm and a raised khopesh in the other. A crumpled humanoid body lies directly in the front of the doors and dried stains lead from the floor directly beneath the shaft to the body.

Tobias:
You see no obvious tricks to make the shaft climbable except via a rope like the one you use. The chamber at the bottom of the shaft is likely the true entrance to the tomb. The carvings on the door are standard with late period of the ancient Citrine Kingdom and likely depict the resident of the tomb. It was not uncommon to entomb servants and slaves with a master/mistress but they would have their own chamber and there would be intense rituals for slaughtering them. They wouldn't just toss a guy down the shaft. Moreover, this is a human and his clothing is fairly well preserved - he's wearing a form of kilt with a clan pattern common to certain families from the Free City of Peridot. According to the Taviston Guide to Modern Fashions, that particular style of kilt is no more than 30 years old. You can also see the rope tied about his waist.

As a note, I never assume characters are searching something unless I am told they are. So any information I give will be based entirely on visual inspection unless you tell me "I am searching X".


Male Human Investigator (Empiricist) 1

Tobias sighs heavily, "So much for an untampered tomb."

"Why don't you search our new friend for anything valuable Dorian whilst Gil and I check this door for any traps."

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

-Posted with Wayfinder


Female Human(Amazonite) Alchemist 1; HP 13/13 ; Init +3; Perception +4 ; AC 15; Spells: cure light wounds, 'open spellslot' Bombs:7/7

Lilia climbs down after Tobias has reached the bottom and starts examining the body. (how long has he been down here, what is the likely cause of death, did anything try to eat him, are there residues of magic)

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Knowlege(Nature): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
heal: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12


Male Human Urban Barbarian 1

Gil helps Tobias check the door for traps, stepping carefully over the body as he does so.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9


Tobias:
The door does not seem to be trapped. It is heavy and hung on hidden hinges but not sealed. Gil should have little trouble opening it.

Lilia:
The dry conditions and heat make it hard to estimate how old the body is. However, you think between five and fifteen years. No older than that. The cause of death is quite obvious. He fell from a great height and managed to drag himself to the doors before dying.

For anyone searching the body:
The corpse has very little of value. Not even a weapon. However, you do find two pouches. One with a usable climber's hammer and six metal pitons and the other with two vials of some sort of black substance that, when held up to the light, shimmers with rainbow colors.


Gil:
The Breaker's Guild will want to know about the doors. The beautiful relief carvings alone are enough to make them very valuable. If the guild could remove the doors and haul them up the shaft they'd sell to a collector for a nice chunk of gold. Assuming you can slip them by the Host of Bones.


Male Human Urban Barbarian 1

After checking the doors Gil goes about marking his map once again to account for this new room, with a bit of discretion he adds some additional annotation in shorthand when drawing the rooms door.


Female Human(Amazonite) Alchemist 1; HP 13/13 ; Init +3; Perception +4 ; AC 15; Spells: cure light wounds, 'open spellslot' Bombs:7/7

"Hm, I wonder what this stuff is"
Lilia carefully picks up of the vials and examines it.
craft:Alchemie : 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8


Doesn't look like anything you've made before, Lilia. Which doesn't mean you haven't made what's in the bottle. It could be you use a different formula.

Everyone, please be aware that I don't consider information in spoilers to be shared with the party unless you actually post sharing it.


Male Human Investigator (Empiricist) 1

Tobias will examine it over Lilia's shoulder.

Alchemy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21

-Posted with Wayfinder


Tobias:
Alchemist's Fire in each vial. A formula common to the Citrine region, most likely, which uses tar found in pits in the area.


Male Human Investigator (Empiricist) 1

Nodding to himself apparently satisfied and no longer interested, Tobias goes back to examining the reliefs on the doors to the tomb as he waits for Bastion to join them.

-Posted with Wayfinder


After some back and forth shouting, it is decided that Bastion will stay in the upper chamber and guard the rope to make sure rivals or bandits don't come and severe it. Should the rope be cut, the team will have no way back to the surface. Gil, as second in command, is put in charge of the field team.

For the moment, Bastion seems AWOL and we'll continue without him.


Male Human Urban Barbarian 1

"Let's get this door open then."

Strength: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17


Please give me: marching order and who is carrying what light source, please.


Male Human Urban Barbarian 1

Tobias still has a torch I think. The marching order will be Myself, then Tobias followed by Lilia, leaving Dorian to bring up the rear.


Female Human(Amazonite) Alchemist 1; HP 13/13 ; Init +3; Perception +4 ; AC 15; Spells: cure light wounds, 'open spellslot' Bombs:7/7

" lets"
Lilia puts the vial in her beltpouch and walks over to help Gil.
Aid: 1d20 ⇒ 1

two natural 1 in a row, the tomb is cursed,CURSED


Gil puts his shoulder against the doors and forces them open. The metal hinges groan due to their age but the heavy portal proves no match for the breaker's strength.

The walls of this ten-foot-wide corridor feature bas-relief carving of great battles. Armies with spears and shields clash at the direction of generals, while other leaders direct troops from chariots that are ruthlessly overrunning their enemies. Engraved stone double doors mark the opposite end of the hallway. Those doors are carved with images, much like the door that were just opened, but from so far away it is almost impossible to tell what the carvings represent beyond vague "people" shapes.

Roll20 map has been updated to include the new area.


Male Human Urban Barbarian 1

Gil begins to cautiously move further into this tomb once he has updated his map. At the point where the hall becomes slightly wider he slows down, muttering "I don't like the looks of these walls." He starts examining the carvings, looking for signs of traps hidden beneath the artwork.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13


Male Human Investigator (Empiricist) 1

Tobias shadows Gil slightly behind him also on the lookout for any danger, "Agreed, we've yet to face any resistance, it's only a matter of time."

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10


After examining the stone reliefs, you find excellent craftsmanship but no sign of traps.


Male Human Urban Barbarian 1

"...Guess not."

Gil moves the rest of the way through the hall and checks this new set of doors.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21


Male Human Brawler (Exemplar) 1

After some time Bastion let himself down the rope to investigate on the progress of his team. There had been no sounds of agony or pain as of late and he had secured the perimeter of the first floor aptly while they had ventured forth. Though Tobias' voice constantly rang upwards the entire time. That man was exceedingly useful at times that he would note it for later.

Coming down with a Torch right next to Lilia with a gruff, he speaks to her but more to the group ahead. " Status Report? What have you all found, as of late it seemed to be safe. "


Gil continues down the corridor. Little happens beyond his feet kicking up years worth of dust. Just as he is about to step on the stones in front of the far doors, however, he realizes that the space in front of the door is misaligned with the rest of the floor. Careful examination reveals a pressure-plate.

I've marked the pressure plate in yellow on the map.


Male Human Urban Barbarian 1

"Seems I spoke to soon, looks like there's a pressure plate here."


Male Human Brawler (Exemplar) 1

" Private Gil I assume you mean in the room you currently inhabit? Do you think it possible for you to disarm effectively or will we need to set it off at a safe distance instead. Can you figure out its mechanism? " He shouted from the other room as he waited for Lilia to respond somewhat.

" Know that the top is secure.. it took me some time but I doubt any more bandits will be coming to what appears to be a closed door.. I obviously made it such that we can leave however.."


Male Human Investigator (Empiricist) 1

"Are you capable of trap disarming Gil? If you're not too sure about the mechanism, I can always give it a shot."

-Posted with Wayfinder


Male Human Brawler (Exemplar) 1

"You are both quite capable Private Tobias, I would suggest you have one begin the process and the other assist with any mishaps on the other's part. Anyone else should stay out of the room to ensure unnecessary collateral " Bastion suggested from the other room watching the men intently. He wasnt sure if Gil was good at traps in particular but the man had an eye for finding things.


Male Human Urban Barbarian 1
Tobias Taviston wrote:
"Are you capable of trap disarming Gil?"

"In a manner of speaking." replies the Barbarian, patting his hammer as he does so. Were this a normal job Gil would have begun the painstaking process of tracing the trigger mechanism back to the trap itself and then destroying it.

"But I imagine a stayed hand would serve much better, don't you agree Tobias?"

Sorry guys, I didn't pick up the Trap Finder trait so I don't have any points in Disable Device.

Though he is stepping aside to let someone more knowledgable address the situation, Gil is still keeping his eyes open: they've found the trigger, now where was the trap?

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Knowledge: Engineering: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18


Gil:
You can't be sure without knocking down walls to get to the mechanism.


Male Human Investigator (Empiricist) 1

Tobias sets up to the plate and begins to work around it trying to find the trigger and disarm it.

Disarm: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21

-Posted with Wayfinder

101 to 150 of 500 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Krystallos: Shibbati, the Half-Dead City Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.