Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

199,751 to 199,800 of 243,434 << first < prev | 3991 | 3992 | 3993 | 3994 | 3995 | 3996 | 3997 | 3998 | 3999 | 4000 | 4001 | next > last >>
Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Happy Friday FaWtLites. Hope everyone is well and has been having a good week. :)

Edit:
blushes

Exsqueeze me!

gets dressed

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Having a big birthday celebration next weekend, cannot wait. :D Work is just gonna drag on because of it, I'm sure, but I cannot help eagerly looking forward to it. :)

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Very glad to hear about Ayami, Van, at least the finally getting a proper diagnoses part. I hope she makes a swift and full recovery now that they know what happened.

The Exchange

Urgh sorry to hear that, Vidmaster7. Must've been nasty.

Sometimes I take my steaks medium-rare instead.

1)If it's an unfamiliar restaurant - rare steaks can turn out to get very chewy.

2)If I am with colleagues. Don't want to freak them out.

Which reminds me. I believe most ladies don't take their steaks rare, because the last time I ordered a rare steak, the server gave me an are you sure, look. Well..Cat so...what were you expecting?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I watched Poltergeist when I was 9, so I don't eat steak.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Everything after 9:30 is overtime, unfortunately our job should be wrapped up by 11.

And then we're expecting g!~+*~n f@#!ing rain next week.

F*@# it, I'll work straight through, no matter how much b@@#$ing coworker does.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Waiting for the dirt yard to open, so we can get dirt.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Now, coworker is b&#*$@*+ting with the salespeople.

Good, good!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I've gotten everyone in the company to say "No worries!"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
The Game Hamster wrote:
Un-Bear-able Puns wrote:
If you encounter a bear in the wild your in for a Hairy experience. Also you'll probably get mauled.

You are supposed to fight and/or defend yourself against black and smaller bears. Basically, these bears are looking for an easy meal.

meanwhile, that doesn't work on polar and grizzly bears, since they are more aggressive and don't mind killing a frisky morsel. That's why you play dead with them. also, they aren't scavengers and leave dead bodies alone, but smaller bears eat dead things sometimes, so that tactic doesn't work with them.
at least, that's what I've heard.

So you've been given "half"-decent advise.

Black bears are one of the most skittish creatures on the planet; as long as they have a place to run and feel that it's safe to do so, they will. So yelling, waving your arms, and throwing rocks is quite effective. "Fighting and/or defending yourself" will get you rapidly mauled, as if you're that close to the black bear, it'll panic and kill you so that it can get away. Which brings us to, "What to do when a bear is too close to you."

Playing dead for grizzlies is not effective because they don't scavenge; it's effective because they're usually attacking because they see you as a threat, not as food, and playing dead neutralizes the threat.
If a grizzly or polar bear is hungry, playing dead'll get you eaten. But most of the time they're not hungry, they're angry, so playing dead is recommended practice.

In short, once a bear is within claws' reach of you, playing dead is indeed your best chance of survival. But it's not because they don't scavenge, it's because they're neutralizing you as a threat.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:
I've gotten everyone in the company to say "No worries!"

Awesome! It's my standard response to "Thank you", and it does get me lots of odd looks. Should be fun when you come out and we're BOTH doing it!

Silver Crusade

Morning, all. What did I miss?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Just a Mort wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Just a Mort wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Owning a cat is like owning a cactus. They both lie in the sun all day. It can hurt to pet them. They both tend not to need/want much attention. And no one wants to hear you tell stories about them for 3 hours on the first date.

That actually depends. If your date is a crazy cat lady, why not?

My BF and I actually talk about cats some, like all the cats he's had, how to approach a cat... Again...cat?=)

I didnt know your boyfriend was so salacious. Can't say I'm surprised.
Arrrrghh he was telling me about the cat that followed him home and that you can scratch cats on their cheek, near their whiskers!

my, following him home? Such a handsome chap. And of course you scratch near the whiskers, that's where-

door kicked down by modesty patrol, who take Freehold into custody for gross indecency


Vidmaster7 wrote:

She won't eat a steak if it has even a bit of pink in the middle it has to be thoroughly cooked. I prefer mine medium. I don't like the blood taste.

** spoiler omitted **

wow.

How did that happen exactly? Was an artery punctured?

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber
Just a Mort wrote:
Ducks are food, not friends.

This is true


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Coworker: I hope we have enough to do to work until 11

Me: I worked at Toys R Us for 5 years, I know how to milk a clock.

(that's 3 minutes right there)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
The Game Hamster wrote:
Just a Mort wrote:
GM rant. Someone complained that about me using block init, saying it made encounters unnecessarily deadly, since there’s no way to intervene by the party when someone goes down.

I always block the same monsters.

goblins and kobolds in the same fight? two separate blocks.
orcs, spiders and drow? Three blocks. ect...

Not only do I do block initiative, I often don't even roll anymore. A homogenous group of enemies go on a 'roll' of 10, modified by their modifier. Mixed groups get a mix of 'rolls,' like a boss + minions group has the boss going on a base 15, with the minions going on a base 5. Which is easy for me, yet all but guarantees that turn order will see multiple switches between PCs v monsters, due to player rolling.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber
Just a Mort wrote:
Woran wrote:
Just a Mort wrote:

Stroopwafel experiment complete. I can say that I am not prone to stroopwafel addiction. First the Stroopwafel was put on the rim of my hot cup of boiling tea (my cup is a little too small for the stroopwafel, really). I left it there for 3 minutes, turned to the other side, left it there for 2 minutes. The centre was slightly warm, and soft, so much that when I saw it sagging I was worried it might fall into my cup of tea. I had a bite of it, it is nice, but also a tad too sweet for my taste(guess I’m not as sweet toothy as I thought).

Kjeldorn - you need to get transition lenses.

The cheap option is to wear a cap, which is what I generally do. When it's time for me to change my glasses I may go for transition lenses.

Yeah, the sugar content of a stroopwafel is trough the roof!
Woran - I got the right stroopwafel, right?

Yes, that is a stroopwafel!

The Exchange

Celestial Healer wrote:
Morning, all. What did I miss?

Me ranting about GM hat? Generally if I rant I rant about that.

Scarab Sages

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber

Just a feeeeeeeew mooooooooooore minuteeeeeeeeees.... then I have two weeks of vacations!


Celestial Healer wrote:
Morning, all. What did I miss?

No worries and milking.

The Exchange

Woran wrote:
Just a feeeeeeeew mooooooooooore minuteeeeeeeeees.... then I have two weeks of vacations!

What do you plan to do for your vacation?

Silver Crusade

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Just a Mort wrote:
Ducks are food, not friends.

Duck is John’s favorite food. I usually make it for his birthday/anniversaries/Valentine’s Day.

Usually a seared duck breast along these lines.


NobodysHome wrote:
The Game Hamster wrote:
Un-Bear-able Puns wrote:
If you encounter a bear in the wild your in for a Hairy experience. Also you'll probably get mauled.

You are supposed to fight and/or defend yourself against black and smaller bears. Basically, these bears are looking for an easy meal.

meanwhile, that doesn't work on polar and grizzly bears, since they are more aggressive and don't mind killing a frisky morsel. That's why you play dead with them. also, they aren't scavengers and leave dead bodies alone, but smaller bears eat dead things sometimes, so that tactic doesn't work with them.
at least, that's what I've heard.

So you've been given "half"-decent advise.

Black bears are one of the most skittish creatures on the planet; as long as they have a place to run and feel that it's safe to do so, they will. So yelling, waving your arms, and throwing rocks is quite effective. "Fighting and/or defending yourself" will get you rapidly mauled, as if you're that close to the black bear, it'll panic and kill you so that it can get away. Which brings us to, "What to do when a bear is too close to you."

Playing dead for grizzlies is not effective because they don't scavenge; it's effective because they're usually attacking because they see you as a threat, not as food, and playing dead neutralizes the threat.
If a grizzly or polar bear is hungry, playing dead'll get you eaten. But most of the time they're not hungry, they're angry, so playing dead is recommended practice.

In short, once a bear is within claws' reach of you, playing dead is indeed your best chance of survival. But it's not because they don't scavenge, it's because they're neutralizing you as a threat.

To be fair, the whole fight thing was also presupposing you had a weapon. Hand to claw? yeah, you'll get messed up right quick.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

so many emotions in the first 30 seconds. And one of the many reasons I love Mat and Steph.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Ah, nothing like optimizing your irritation of the neighbors:

  • Tired of waiting, NobodysWife called the couch place on Wednesday and it turned out the couches have been ready for an unknown period. We scheduled delivery for Friday, but the guy who had promised to haul away the old couches is out of the country 'til the 21st, so they won't take them away. NobodysWife said she'd figure out how to get rid of the old couches, and suggested our handyman gardener. I figured worst-case we could rent a truck
  • On Thursday I moved all the old furniture out of the house and into the driveway, setting up a nice living room. We still had no idea how to get it picked up
  • This morning, both NobodysWife and I realized we could just do Waste Management's bulky pick-up. So I called them. Our pick-up day is Tuesday, and you have to call 5 days in advance. So HAD I CALLED ON WEDNESDAY OR THURSDAY, we would have had a pick-up on Tuesday. Instead, pick-up is a week from Tuesday.

  • I hope my neighbors enjoy my furniture for a week and a half...


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

    I'm surprised no one has taken them already.

    When we threw out our furniture during the flea infestation I put a sign on them warning of fleas.

    Everything was gone in an hour.


    10 people marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

    Somebody got another raise!


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    So, trying to avoid turning this into a political tirade, but hoo boy am I sick and tired of pharmacies and their robocalls.
    Every. Single. Day. "Hi! It's time to refill your prescription! Would you like to refill your prescription now? Just say, 'Yes' and we'll try to auto-charge the card you didn't give us and refill your prescription!"

    And they make it either impossible (a CVS support person said, "No; even employees get those robo-calls, and we hate them even more than you do, but we can't figure out how to stop them, either") or nigh-impossible (ExpressScripts) to stop.

    And if you manage to get them to stop calling, heaven forfend you ever use them again. 'Cause suddenly you're a customer again and that auto-dial switch goes back on.

    So they like to paint it as, "Americans are under-medicated because they frequently forget to renew their medications and go without, so we're performing a public service."

    I call B.S. and walk away before the bikes arrive...


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    NobodysHome wrote:

    So, trying to avoid turning this into a political tirade, but hoo boy am I sick and tired of pharmacies and their robocalls.

    Every. Single. Day. "Hi! It's time to refill your prescription! Would you like to refill your prescription now? Just say, 'Yes' and we'll try to auto-charge the card you didn't give us and refill your prescription!"

    And they make it either impossible (a CVS support person said, "No; even employees get those robo-calls, and we hate them even more than you do, but we can't figure out how to stop them, either") or nigh-impossible (ExpressScripts) to stop.

    And if you manage to get them to stop calling, heaven forfend you ever use them again. 'Cause suddenly you're a customer again and that auto-dial switch goes back on.

    So they like to paint it as, "Americans are under-medicated because they frequently forget to renew their medications and go without, so we're performing a public service."

    I call B.S. and walk away before the bikes arrive...

    pauses slathering bikes with crisco

    A complaint about robocalls is not political unless it involves actual politics. As of this moment it is an annoying practice, no more and no less.

    resumes slathering


    captain yesterday wrote:
    Somebody got another raise!

    Congrats, Cap! :)


    The real reason Vid and I aren't on at the same time is: Conflicting schedules. I work from 2:30 PM to midnight, and Vid works from about 1 AM or so to about 9 AM, I think.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    Vany, glad to hear about Ayimi's diagnosis. Sad to hear about the mini-strokes. Hopefully, taking care of the blood pressure will take care of that.


    11 people marked this as a favorite.

    Update:

    She's going home this afternoon.


    2 people marked this as a favorite.

    Yay! Hooray!


    2 people marked this as a favorite.

    WOOOOOOOOOOOO


    2 people marked this as a favorite.

    Hooray!


    2 people marked this as a favorite.

    Glad to hear that, Vanykrye.


    3 people marked this as a favorite.

    Gratz on the raise, Cap. Can I borrow some money?


    2 people marked this as a favorite.

    Ah, nothing makes you feel like an a$$hat quite like trying to do something nice for someone and watching it screw them over.

    So, I cleared and washed the living room, took the front door off its hinges, removed the porch rail so the guys would have a straight shot into the house, and then moved the Celica so they could park right in front of the house. There's a low-hanging tree branch, but they're professional movers, right?

    Wrong. The kid driving was driving the van on his very first day. So he pulled past the house, threw it into reverse, and backed the van right into the tree.

    Yes, he'd paid for insurance. No, the insurance didn't cover the "top of the vehicle". And the dent was significant and above the rear door, so I can see an insurance company calling it the "top".

    So I feel bad. I knew there was a tree branch; I just assumed anyone driving a large vehicle might, y'know, NOTICE the big-a$$ tree in front of our house.

    Ah, well, it was a learning experience for him.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    NobodysHome wrote:

    So, trying to avoid turning this into a political tirade, but hoo boy am I sick and tired of pharmacies and their robocalls.

    Every. Single. Day. "Hi! It's time to refill your prescription! Would you like to refill your prescription now? Just say, 'Yes' and we'll try to auto-charge the card you didn't give us and refill your prescription!"

    I am convinced that robo-calling and automated phone-trees are untapped gold-mines of anger for any politician with the insight to tap into them.

    I would vote for virtually anyone promising to criminalize the use of such things. Especially automated phone-trees.


    Phone tree?


    4 people marked this as a favorite.

    Well, the bright spot of the afternoon was Impus Major getting a scam call and having all kinds of fun with it. He pressed 1 to talk to a human being, then asked why they were being so nice to him, and concluded, "It must be the booze."
    The guy didn't catch on until Impus Major started giving him the number and expiration date for his K1 Speed Racing card.

    It's too bad, because shortly thereafter Impus Minor let out a blood-curdling shriek as I banged around and Impus Major hung up...


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
    NobodysHome wrote:

    Ah, nothing makes you feel like an a$$hat quite like trying to do something nice for someone and watching it screw them over.

    So, I cleared and washed the living room, took the front door off its hinges, removed the porch rail so the guys would have a straight shot into the house, and then moved the Celica so they could park right in front of the house. There's a low-hanging tree branch, but they're professional movers, right?

    Wrong. The kid driving was driving the van on his very first day. So he pulled past the house, threw it into reverse, and backed the van right into the tree.

    Yes, he'd paid for insurance. No, the insurance didn't cover the "top of the vehicle". And the dent was significant and above the rear door, so I can see an insurance company calling it the "top".

    So I feel bad. I knew there was a tree branch; I just assumed anyone driving a large vehicle might, y'know, NOTICE the big-a$$ tree in front of our house.

    Ah, well, it was a learning experience for him.

    First day or not, anyone knows to look for obstacles when backing up, so that's on him.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Vanykrye wrote:

    Aiymi Update:

    First thank you all for your concerns. This really is a wonderful group of people, and I hate people as a general rule. Possibly even as a manifesto. But I digress. Thank you.

    Aiymi's condition has been figured out. It's 4 things that came together, with one of them causing the other three in conjunction with Mars is in retrograde but it's a full moon with Saturn's dominance.

    1) Sinus infection with a cough. This part is easy.
    2) The cough was bad enough that she tore an intercostal muscle on the left side. That's the abdominal pain.

    3) Those two things (sick body) combined with high amounts of work stress, caused her blood pressure to go up. Way up. This has caused her altered mental state.

    4) The increased blood pressure also caused a TIA. For anyone who doesn't know...it's basically a mini-stroke that no test can actually prove after the fact. The only time a scan will pick up a TIA is if it's happening in the middle of the scan, and then maybe.

    This TIA has left her with little to no memory of anything after July 1 until about 7:30pm of July 11, and those memories are largely hazy and indistinct.

    So...

    Muscle relaxer. Cough suppressant. Blood pressure meds. Her BP has to get down to a controllable level, and she has to pass the physical therapist tests (specifically able to climb up and down stairs on her own) before she'll be released from the hospital. There's nothing that can be done about the TIA. The memories will either come back or they won't. Once the blood pressure comes down the confusion should clear up. The sinus infection is just secondary to everything else at this point.

    It's nice you finally got some answers Vany.

    I wish Aiymi a speedy recovery.

    *Offers hugs for the both of you*


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    John Napier 698 wrote:
    Phone tree?

    You have reached Global Megacorp, please listen carefully as our phone options have recently changed... LIES, YOUR OPTIONS HAVE BEEN THE SAME SINCE 2001

    To use our automated reorder system, press 1; to get Rx information, press 2; to get shipping information, press 3; to pay a bill, press 4......................................................to hear your daily horoscope, press 99. To return to the main menu.... (the sole purpose of which is to pick language) ...press 100.

    *Finally presses 0 to get an operator*

    I'm sorry, that is not a valid option. Goodbye.

    /disconnect


    Tequila Sunrise wrote:
    John Napier 698 wrote:
    Phone tree?

    You have reached Global Megacorp, please listen carefully as our phone options have recently changed... LIES, YOUR OPTIONS HAVE BEEN THE SAME SINCE 2001

    To use our automated reorder system, press 1; to get Rx information, press 2; to get shipping information, press 3; to pay a bill, press 4......................................................to hear your daily horoscope, press 99. To return to the main menu.... (the sole purpose of which is to pick language) ...press 100.

    *Finally presses 0 to get an operator*

    I'm sorry, that is not a valid option. Goodbye.

    /disconnect

    Oh, that. Phone system programming done by non-programmers. I'm amused. :D


    3 people marked this as a favorite.

    You'd be less amused if you had to use it :P


    True. But I hang up on robocalls anyway.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    Can't hang up when your life depends on their service, and your insurance demands you use that particular service.

    199,751 to 199,800 of 243,434 << first < prev | 3991 | 3992 | 3993 | 3994 | 3995 | 3996 | 3997 | 3998 | 3999 | 4000 | 4001 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.