Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

191,851 to 191,900 of 240,338 << first < prev | 3833 | 3834 | 3835 | 3836 | 3837 | 3838 | 3839 | 3840 | 3841 | 3842 | 3843 | next > last >>

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Whee!


3 people marked this as a favorite.

It is done.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

...

I'm just amazed to see so few threads dedicated to the problem.
I guess "real" players just take crafting feats and create timeless demiplanes...

I think it speaks more of either the amount of:

"There's rules for that sort of thing? I didn't notice..." Players/GM's.

or the amount of:

"The hand-wave merchant with the stuff you wanna buy into existence, so we can get to the murderin'..." Players/GM's.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I think it's just ignored often enough...handwaved away, assumed you can buy whatever you want in a large enough town, timeless demiplanes, etc, etc, etc...that nobody cares enough to complain.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Starfinder fixed that problem.

In that item availability in a settlement is determined by level rather than value.


10 people marked this as a favorite.

So I've got to admit, Impus Major has a future in screenwriting.

Remember that project where he was supposed to write about me and he never once talked to me about it or showed it to me before turning it in?

Well, I finally got to see it, and it was an impressive bit of work: He'd made a list of events that had happened in my life, then got the chronology wrong, made up entire scenes around particular events, and really did a magnificent job of making a Hollywood-esque "based on a true story" description of my life.

It was sappy and terrible, and made me sound like a blubbering buffoon, but it was hilariously bad in its inaccuracies.

I liked it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:
I think it's just ignored often enough...handwaved away, assumed you can buy whatever you want in a large enough town, timeless demiplanes, etc, etc, etc...that nobody cares enough to complain.

Additional thought...the people most likely to complain are in PFS. PFS caps out around...what...11-13th? So the people most likely to complain the loudest are the least likely to run into the rule in the first place. Plus PFS has its own item acquisition rules separate from RAW.


gran rey de los mono wrote:
A software engineer will use more semicolons in one day than most people will use in their entire life.

All too true.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:

@Mort, Vidmaster:

Yes, those are the "standard fixes" everyone suggests: Either take crafting feats and ask the GM to provide lots of down time, ask the GM to provide specific magic items instead of random ones, or get major teleports to big cities. But even the biggest cities (for example, the 29,600 limit in the city on the Plane of Air) won't even get you a weapon with a +4 total bonus (+1 flaming holy longsword, for example).

So I'm just rather astonished that there are SO many absolutist, RAW posters in the Rules forum, and SO many optimizing, "It's in the book so I can buy it" posters in the Advice forum, that there aren't any massive thread wars on it.

It's a major issue for Shiro because he's trying to write a 100% rules-legal AP so that even the most obsessive-compulsive RAW GM can run it, and he's making it less grind-y by putting in CR+2 or CR+3 encounters, but it's in a remote area where in the entire country in which the AP is set, no city has a base value over 2000 gp. (Very similar to Serpent's Skull.)
Fighting incorporeal baddies with nothing but whatever random magic weapons the GM happened to drop is... less-than-fun.

I just find it rather astonishing that the base values are so poorly thought out in terms of higher-level play, and I didn't find any major thread wars on the topic. Just seems... odd that everyone just kind of figures out a way to ignore RAW and do something that works for them.

Probably not 100% setting-faithful, but what about a wandering merchant who has a buying power of wealth-by-level? A lvl 10 aristocrat with PC wealth gets you a 62k buying power. They're an eccentric rich guy who collects magic items but oh, that's some nice gold yes I will trade and fund another expedition!

Mercane or witchwyrd with class levels.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

"How's your essay going?"
"Okay. So. Imagine...all the world's greatest authors. Coming to me. For help. That's how good it is."
"...didn't take you for a necromancer."


2 people marked this as a favorite.

My back is hurty, and it will get even more hurty over the next few days.

I spent the afternoon loading the van with goodies to sale on Pyrkon... Tomorrow I will spent snoozing in the van for five or six hours, and than I will have to unload all that mess with two other guys (a few more friends were supposed to be a few more friends to help but there was unfavorable change of plans).

Quite probably on Friday or Saturday I'll meet Gorbacz for the first time...


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm getting a front-row seat to a very heated discussion on Phineas and Ferb.


And return on Sunday... With packing again anything not sold. And unpacking after arrival back to Kraków... *sigh*


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Just a Mort wrote:
I have a tin of bear in my luggage!

Something something Prince Albert in a can?

captain yesterday wrote:

Today I'm working solo because everyone else has dust certification class.

I get to level off a huge area that will soon have a high end patio (the rest of my week) and outdoor kitchen (which we'll build next week).

I wonder how long it'll be until confused stoners start a Johnny Appleseed-ish/Paul Bunyan-ish urban legend about a traveling Eddie Vedder building patios, decks, and other backyard design elements?

Shadow Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

So I've got to admit, Impus Major has a future in screenwriting.

Remember that project where he was supposed to write about me and he never once talked to me about it or showed it to me before turning it in?

Well, I finally got to see it, and it was an impressive bit of work: He'd made a list of events that had happened in my life, then got the chronology wrong, made up entire scenes around particular events, and really did a magnificent job of making a Hollywood-esque "based on a true story" description of my life.

It was sappy and terrible, and made me sound like a blubbering buffoon, but it was hilariously bad in its inaccuracies.

I liked it.

Maybe a writing internship on Drunk History?


Today's Rock Interlude. Link.


11 people marked this as a favorite.

The good news: kidlet doesn’t have epilepsy. Also we are being discharged from the hospital!

The bad news: the bill...>.<

Better news: We have a diagnosis and it is something that with therapy can be treated and may not recur in future.


lynora wrote:

The good news: kidlet doesn’t have epilepsy. Also we are being discharged from the hospital!

The bad news: the bill...>.<

PLEASE tell me you have an annual out-of-pocket maximum to help soften the bill!

NobodysWife's $106k bill would have been exceedingly painful even at 10%. The $2000 out-of-pocket maximum saved our butts.


OK. I *almost* didn't even start watching Attack on Titan, Season 3, but I was still feeling a bit oogey last night so I decided I had nothing better to do.

And holy ****, Season 3! Who are you and where did you bury the corpses of seasons 1 and 2 to be THAT good?!?!?!?

We'll see whether it keeps it up, but... WOW!. I've never seen a turnaround that late in an anime series before...


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Hmm, so you're saying it might actually be cheaper to go to med school, get a degree, and perform my own medical procedures on myself and my loved ones.

That's pretty f*!$ed up.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:

Hmm, so you're saying it might actually be cheaper to go to med school, get a degree, and perform my own medical procedures on myself and my loved ones.

That's pretty f&~&ed up.

Unethical and illegal as all get out...but...yeah...


4 people marked this as a favorite.
lynora wrote:

The good news: kidlet doesn’t have epilepsy. Also we are being discharged from the hospital!

The bad news: the bill...>.<

Better news: We have a diagnosis and it is something that with therapy can be treated and may not recur in future.

Great news Lyn!

*Hugs kidlet and Lyn*

As for the bill...
Me being one of those foreigners from a wide-reaching welfare state, you have my deepest sympathies.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

It's perfectly safe!

I've been practicing on pigeons.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I think the spending cap per population is one of those aspects of the Simulation & Spellcasting style that even the most RAW-sessive gamers on some level recognize as overboard. (Description of the S&S style is near the bottom.) Yeah, D&D is a role playing experience and everyone wants a certain degree of immersion; but it's also a game about killing things so you can acquire better stuff so you can kill bigger things so you can acquire even better stuff..., and half-baked spending caps throw a wrench into that.

So the natural solutions are to either tweak the caps to align with level-appropriate expectations, ignore them, drop character-appropriate loot (similar to 4e's much-maligned parcels), dodge the problem with "Well I don't play high level, the game breaks down all over the place anyway," or find some RAW-tastic loophole like the wandering noble-merchant or the extra-dimensional dragonkin.

It is odd that this problem doesn't get more air time on the forums, but as Kjeldorn mentioned that's probably because a lot of people aren't even aware of it.


Vanykrye wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:

Hmm, so you're saying it might actually be cheaper to go to med school, get a degree, and perform my own medical procedures on myself and my loved ones.

That's pretty f&~&ed up.

Unethical and illegal as all get out...but...yeah...

Really?

Arrh, crap.

Wait!

I'm a pirate!

No worries :) :) :)


Drejk wrote:

My back is hurty, and it will get even more hurty over the next few days.

I spent the afternoon loading the van with goodies to sale on Pyrkon... Tomorrow I will spent snoozing in the van for five or six hours, and than I will have to unload all that mess with two other guys (a few more friends were supposed to be a few more friends to help but there was unfavorable change of plans).

Quite probably on Friday or Saturday I'll meet Gorbacz for the first time...

That's FAWSOME! TELL HIM I SAID HEY!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
lynora wrote:

The good news: kidlet doesn’t have epilepsy. Also we are being discharged from the hospital!

The bad news: the bill...>.<

Better news: We have a diagnosis and it is something that with therapy can be treated and may not recur in future.

YAY HEALTHY KID


Giorgio A. Tsoukalos wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:

So I've got to admit, Impus Major has a future in screenwriting.

Remember that project where he was supposed to write about me and he never once talked to me about it or showed it to me before turning it in?

Well, I finally got to see it, and it was an impressive bit of work: He'd made a list of events that had happened in my life, then got the chronology wrong, made up entire scenes around particular events, and really did a magnificent job of making a Hollywood-esque "based on a true story" description of my life.

It was sappy and terrible, and made me sound like a blubbering buffoon, but it was hilariously bad in its inaccuracies.

I liked it.

Maybe a writing internship on Drunk History?

love that show!


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

We've been living in the same house for thirteen years now, the General's brother still gets our address wrong.

And the most hilarious part, they've been living in their house for twenty years and they still try to give me directions.

And, and, they live down the road from where the General grew up, which we were married at.


9 people marked this as a favorite.

Addresses are a mysterious business.

My grandmother died back in 1984 or so. We got junk mail for her over 25 years later, at multiple addresses as the kids moved out. It was... amazing.

My favorite "bad address" story was when Phi Beta Kappa tracked down my address as somehow related to my (deceased) father's.

So I wrote them a fairly snarky letter about how, being deceased, I was worried that my odor and lack of social skills might be off-putting to my fellow members, so I had to decline their invitation, and signed it in my father's name.
They sent back a wonderful tongue-in-cheek response, apologizing for disturbing my rest and assuring me that they did not hold my reticence against me.

I've liked 'em ever since.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

It's been a surreal day.

1) The police showed up at my place of employment and arrested someone as they were being fired by their management.

2) I had a weird tech incident that I did not believe possible. This is slightly techy, so those not so inclined, either listen and learn or glaze on past it. Up to you. We have MAC filtering enabled in all of our facilities, including for the phones. I got a complaint that someone's phone rebooted and then just sits there counting the seconds and it says "DHCP" on it. I go up, reboot the phone again, get the port info and MAC address. Check the wiring in the closet, and unsurprisingly, it hasn't moved. Pull up the DHCP console, pull up both of our DHCP servers, and sort the MAC filter entries. Lo and behold, the MAC address is no longer in the MAC filter of either DHCP server. It was just a few minutes ago, because just a few minutes ago that phone was working. What in the...??? Ok, add the MAC address back in and put out some communication to the rest of the IT team. Finish the email to the rest of the IT team with "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some X-Files episodes to re-watch..." This just isn't something that happens, let alone happens on two different servers simultaneously.

3) Get home. Start mowing the yard again. Mow for about 10 minutes when a car pulls up in my driveway. Man and woman, the male driver gets out of the car, and introduces himself and where he's from. And then he asks if he can please mow my yard for gas money so he can drive to Bloomington to help his daughter out of a jam. You know what? I don't care what your story is.

a) I've been in similar situations. Aiymi and I are in the best financial shape either of us have ever been in our lives, separately or together. We're not rich. We're also not what I consider to be well off. We're also not hurting by any stretch of the imagination.

b) About three years ago we got a call from The Adult Child. She needed us to pick her up and move her back to our place. At the time she was living in Denton, TX. We, of course, were in Cincinnati at the time of the call. Are you in immediate danger? No? Are you sure? Yes? Can you wait for us to get there on Monday afternoon? That works for you? Ok. We were in the middle of a concert in Cincy. Oh, and Illinois got hit by a blizzard that same weekend. So drive from Cincy back to Peoria on Sunday morning. We try to line up a cat-sitter on effectively no notice. We finally get to the last option of asking my mother, who lives an hour and a half away, to come stay at our house for a week while we go down to Texas and back to take care of the cat. Somehow she agreed. The snow is not good by the time we hit Indianapolis. The snow is worse in Danville, IL. It's probably 8" thick on the interstate by the time we hit Champaign. Get home safely. Pick up a few possibly needed tools, repack our bags, get back on the ever-snowy roads. Drive until we got to Joplin, Missouri. Aiymi is trying to line up a UHaul in Denton while we're on the way, as well as line up hotels for the drive back. I had called my then boss at home on the weekend and explained the situation - first words out of his mouth "Don't worry about it. Take the week. Go get your daughter, if you need another day or two afterwards just call me and let me know." Collapse in a crappy hotel. Get to where The Adult Child is staying and realize it's a drug dealer and his acid tripping wife who is renting bedrooms out to college students. Fantastic. Oh, and The Adult Child also has a dog that she's bringing with. Oh. Ok. Um...we'll figure it out later. But regardless, the point of all that is other people went very much out of their way on absolutely zero notice to help my family out when we needed it.

c) He's begging to mow my yard.

d) He's begging to mow my yard.

And he mowed my yard. And I gave him $40.

And I just got an email from a remote user who still can't figure out how to change her password...


Vanykrye wrote:

It's been a surreal day.

1) The police showed up at my place of employment and arrested someone as they were being fired by their management.

2) I had a weird tech incident that I did not believe possible. This is slightly techy, so those not so inclined, either listen and learn or glaze on past it. Up to you. We have MAC filtering enabled in all of our facilities, including for the phones. I got a complaint that someone's phone rebooted and then just sits there counting the seconds and it says "DHCP" on it. I go up, reboot the phone again, get the port info and MAC address. Check the wiring in the closet, and unsurprisingly, it hasn't moved. Pull up the DHCP console, pull up both of our DHCP servers, and sort the MAC filter entries. Lo and behold, the MAC address is no longer in the MAC filter of either DHCP server. It was just a few minutes ago, because just a few minutes ago that phone was working. What in the...??? Ok, add the MAC address back in and put out some communication to the rest of the IT team. Finish the email to the rest of the IT team with "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some X-Files episodes to re-watch..." This just isn't something that happens, let alone happens on two different servers simultaneously.

3) Get home. Start mowing the yard again. Mow for about 10 minutes when a car pulls up in my driveway. Man and woman, the male driver gets out of the car, and introduces himself and where he's from. And then he asks if he can please mow my yard for gas money so he can drive to Bloomington to help his daughter out of a jam. You know what? I don't care what your story is.

a) I've been in similar situations. Aiymi and I are in the best financial shape either of us have ever been in our lives, separately or together. We're not rich. We're also not what I consider to be well off. We're also not hurting by any stretch of the imagination.

b) About three years ago we got a call from The Adult Child. She needed us to pick her up and move her back to our...

WOW.

The Exchange

Glad to hear that you've figured out kidlet problem and have a possible solution. Hopefully insurance will take care of part of the bills?

The Exchange

Know katapesh exists. Anyone has knowledge local?

Timeless demiplanes. Grey, fuzzy area. In my games, time does not pass for you while you're in them, but time passes normally in other planes. So when you come out, all those missing years catch up with you, and if you happen to be one of those short lived races, you die of old age on the spot. Unless you've turned yourself into some undead creature while in your demi plane.

Shadow Lodge

That's... not how the timeless property works, per RAW. >_<

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Re: item/equipment discussion:

The one high-level campaign I've successfully run had access to an in-party crafter and was a Kingmaker campaign so downtime is the name of the game. I don't think anyone in my current Savage Tide game has anything beyond Scribe Scroll or Brew Potion, at least yet.

I also tend to be fairly lenient about changing items in the enemies' loot to actually be useful and/or desirable by my party. If an item is going to be utterly useless to anyone in the group, I replace it with something relatively equivalent that won't be useless.

That combined with our homebrew system for shedding some of the reliance on the Big Six has made it so we haven't yet had much issue about characters being unable to get items they need at the levels they need them at.

Sorry I don't have better advice. =/


Good night, everyone.


Yeah when I learned you could just make and buy items in D&D 3rd and it became even easier in PF it really blew me away because in 1st edition we took what dropped creating items was rare expensive and debilitating. Our DM NEVER sold items. We could go on a quest for a really specific one but that was dangerous too. I think a kind of unforeseen consequence of making magic items easier to obtain is the whole big 6 thing and requiring the magic items to function. (not that you didn't need them in 1st) So now that it has become more apparent I'm anxious to see what the modern fix will be in the new edition. (resonance being a start)


Soo woo working on final drafts! Just need a better name for a rogue type hero class. All the good ones are taken like infiltrator or vigilante


Vidmaster7 wrote:
Soo woo working on final drafts! Just need a better name for a rogue type hero class. All the good ones are taken like infiltrator or vigilante

How about calling it Jyn Erso or Cassian Andor?


Or, more seriously, how about ne'er-do-well, rapscallion, reprobate, scalawag, miscreant, hooligan, scoundrel, scruffy-looking nerf herder, or scamp?


gran rey de los everything wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
Soo woo working on final drafts! Just need a better name for a rogue type hero class. All the good ones are taken like infiltrator or vigilante
How about calling it Jyn Erso or Cassian Andor?

Not star wars themed! its comic book super hero themed!

Hmm I need something sneaky but that can still be thought of as somewhat heroic Its kind of a sneaky batman/nightcrawler like class.

Scoundrel is not bad but not quite their.


Call it a Nightwing.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

As cool as it may seem, having your favorite actor/wrestler/musician/etc come visit you in the hospital probably means that you're really f*$~ed.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Accents are fonts for speech.


You're getting old people are concerned rather than amused when you fall down.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Bricks are domesticated rocks.


Why don't most helicopters in movies make sound until they turn their spotlight on?


The pleasant sounds of nature in the spring are mainly the result of horny animals and insects.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Since Star Wars took place a long time ago, just imagine what their technology would be like today.

191,851 to 191,900 of 240,338 << first < prev | 3833 | 3834 | 3835 | 3836 | 3837 | 3838 | 3839 | 3840 | 3841 | 3842 | 3843 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.