Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

190,601 to 190,650 of 240,280 << first < prev | 3808 | 3809 | 3810 | 3811 | 3812 | 3813 | 3814 | 3815 | 3816 | 3817 | 3818 | next > last >>
The Exchange

3 people marked this as a favorite.
John Napier 698 wrote:
Mort, Amaretto is a fairly sweet liquor that tastes like almonds.

Shiny! I like Limoncellos too!

It's the Italians that have the good stuff, no?

Apparently drinking gets you naked...


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Yes. Gratz 50 days early, NH. I am proud of you.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Nice one, NH!

I do like to drink beer (stout), but that's generally it, aside from the occasional drop of Scotch, and I only imbibe (responsibly!) at the weekends, bar a half-pint on my way back from training.

I do not like sweet alcoholic drinks, including Bourbon, and I don't drink wine at all, for no particular reason.


Just a Mort wrote:
John Napier 698 wrote:
Mort, Amaretto is a fairly sweet liquor that tastes like almonds.

Shiny! I like Limoncellos too!

It's the Italians that have the good stuff, no?

Apparently drinking gets you naked...

They dip their Biscotti, a type of really hard cookie, into Amaretto to soften in before it's eaten. It's also really good in tea, from personal experience. Better than Rum, at least in flavor.


However, Limoncello does sound tasty. I'll have to try it.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Have another one of those headaches.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
John Napier 698 wrote:
Just a Mort wrote:
John Napier 698 wrote:
Mort, Amaretto is a fairly sweet liquor that tastes like almonds.

Shiny! I like Limoncellos too!

It's the Italians that have the good stuff, no?

Apparently drinking gets you naked...

They dip their Biscotti, a type of really hard cookie, into Amaretto to soften in before it's eaten. It's also really good in tea, from personal experience. Better than Rum, at least in flavor.

I'll never understand why biscotti has to be baked twice, I think it's better baked once, so it's not so hard.

Of course, I haven't been a baker for 16 years or so, so it just might be the rose colored glasses again.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I still haven't figured out if I want to write a sappy resignation letter or just write "I resign, effective immediately" and leave it on the schedule.


9 people marked this as a favorite.

Forget a letter. Write a sonnet.

It is with great regret that I must say
Despite the years of memories we share
A fortnight hence will be my final day
To seek for greener pastures some elsewhere

My loyalty has crumbled into dust
Much like the store's finances from on high
So 'ere you sit and think on why I must
You know that you already know the why

The days of wrangling children have long passed
Referring to the manager is done
So rather than continue on half-@$$ed,
I venture off to try and find some fun

Toys-R-Us kids professed to never grow
The proof in that this closure well did show.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I do apologize. I'm not great at iambic pentameter and probably screwed it up.


Orthos wrote:
Just a Mort wrote:
I mean I don't know much about drinking, but if people want to drink, I don't see an issue with that.

The problem, at least in parts of the US and with certain groups, is the opposite of this.

There is an expectation by some people that if some people are drinking, everyone MUST drink. And if you refuse to drink - regardless of your reasons, with the occasional exception of being a recovering alcoholic, that and "I'm the designated driver" are the only answers I've seen consistently get people to back off - you are very, very, VERY roughly pressured to do so anyway.

And I do mean, regardless of your reasons. If you have a moral reason for not drinking, the response is usually "One drink won't hurt you, you need to loosen up!". Medical reasons are usually met with the same, again unless it's dealing with an addiction. Personal dislike is met with "You just need to find the kind of alcohol you like!". Etc. etc. etc.

an interesting point- it can be next to impossible to find unusual alcohol in the US. Good luck finding anything from absinthe to mead in most places unless there is a hoity toity limited production place in your town. The internet has changed things, but shipping can be awful.


Just a Mort wrote:
John Napier 698 wrote:
Mort, Amaretto is a fairly sweet liquor that tastes like almonds.

Shiny! I like Limoncellos too!

It's the Italians that have the good stuff, no?

Apparently drinking gets you naked...

time to go drinking with the kitteh!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I have set my alarm to remind me to congratulate nh.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Just a Mort wrote:
I mean I don't know much about drinking, but if people want to drink, I don't see an issue with that.

The problem, at least in parts of the US and with certain groups, is the opposite of this.

There is an expectation by some people that if some people are drinking, everyone MUST drink. And if you refuse to drink - regardless of your reasons, with the occasional exception of being a recovering alcoholic, that and "I'm the designated driver" are the only answers I've seen consistently get people to back off - you are very, very, VERY roughly pressured to do so anyway.

And I do mean, regardless of your reasons. If you have a moral reason for not drinking, the response is usually "One drink won't hurt you, you need to loosen up!". Medical reasons are usually met with the same, again unless it's dealing with an addiction. Personal dislike is met with "You just need to find the kind of alcohol you like!". Etc. etc. etc.

an interesting point- it can be next to impossible to find unusual alcohol in the US. Good luck finding anything from absinthe to mead in most places unless there is a hoity toity limited production place in your town. The internet has changed things, but shipping can be awful.

Don't you live in New York?!?! Yes, California's lax liquor laws mean that whenever we travel we're kind of appalled at what's NOT available, but I'd think New York would be similar. Everything, from absinthe to mead to sake to booze with Slavic labels I can't even read, is available at my local BevMo just a mile away. And if I want real absinthe (at least so far as it's legal in the U.S.) I might have to go to a "real" liquor store maybe 2 whole miles away...


NobodysHome wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Just a Mort wrote:
I mean I don't know much about drinking, but if people want to drink, I don't see an issue with that.

The problem, at least in parts of the US and with certain groups, is the opposite of this.

There is an expectation by some people that if some people are drinking, everyone MUST drink. And if you refuse to drink - regardless of your reasons, with the occasional exception of being a recovering alcoholic, that and "I'm the designated driver" are the only answers I've seen consistently get people to back off - you are very, very, VERY roughly pressured to do so anyway.

And I do mean, regardless of your reasons. If you have a moral reason for not drinking, the response is usually "One drink won't hurt you, you need to loosen up!". Medical reasons are usually met with the same, again unless it's dealing with an addiction. Personal dislike is met with "You just need to find the kind of alcohol you like!". Etc. etc. etc.

an interesting point- it can be next to impossible to find unusual alcohol in the US. Good luck finding anything from absinthe to mead in most places unless there is a hoity toity limited production place in your town. The internet has changed things, but shipping can be awful.

Don't you live in New York?!?! Yes, California's lax liquor laws mean that whenever we travel we're kind of appalled at what's NOT available, but I'd think New York would be similar. Everything, from absinthe to mead to sake to booze with Slavic labels I can't even read, is available at my local BevMo just a mile away. And if I want real absinthe (at least so far as it's legal in the U.S.) I might have to go to a "real" liquor store maybe 2 whole miles away...

i was speaking in a very general sense, NY makes its own rules and breaks its own rules. Trying to get a drink outside of NY can sometimes be a real challenge unless you have VERY dull tastebuds.

To further clarify, I am speaking of my con going experiences.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Living in Madison, I can find anything in regards to alcohol.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:

Forget a letter. Write a sonnet.

It is with great regret that I must say
Despite the years of memories we share
A fortnight hence will be my final day
To seek for greener pastures some elsewhere

My loyalty has crumbled into dust
Much like the store's finances from on high
So 'ere you sit and think on why I must
You know that you already know the why

The days of wrangling children have long passed
Referring to the manager is done
So rather than continue on half-@$$ed,
I venture off to try and find some fun

Toys-R-Us kids professed to never grow
The proof in that this closure well did show.

Oooh its a speak in rhyme talent! I didn't know there were others out there like me!


captain yesterday wrote:
Living in Madison, I can find anything in regards to alcohol.

if you can find absinthe and mead let me know. I have to pay through the nose to get the good stuff, and places here dont carry it.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I'll look around.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I found Mead in Wisconsin.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:
I found Mead in Wisconsin.

starts licking the trees

The Exchange

I heard absinthe is seriously hard stuff...part of me wants to go try it for science...the more rational part is telling me to stay away :P


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Just a Mort wrote:
I heard absinthe is seriously hard stuff...part of me wants to go try it for science...the more rational part is telling me to stay away :P

Well, my understanding was that it was the wormwood that gave it its hallucinogenic "kick", but Wikipedia proved me wrong on that one.

So it's just the fact that it's 45-74% alcohol by volume, which is significantly stronger than most mass-produced spirits (40% ABV), but weaker than some nasties such as Bacardi 151 (75.5% ABV).

So stronger than usual, but the weaker absinthe isn't any worse than most single-malts, and the strongest isn't as bad as Bacardi 151.


Found a Meadery in Brooklyn. Sent Freehold the address via PM.
All-wise Meadery - 111 N 12th St, Brooklyn, NY 11249, if anyone else is interested.


There are a lot of stories told about absinthe that are patently untrue.

I prefer medium to strong absinthe, anything that retains the flavor of anise/licorice.

I have had 151 bacardi on rare occasion and do not care for it.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Orthos wrote:
Just a Mort wrote:
I'd be happy to have a drink to make people happy. I know the alcohol content of stuff, so I shouldn't screw myself over.

Which if you want to, that's great.

But for those of us who don't (and even worse, those of us who CAN'T), this is a constant battle with the "perceived social norm" of our culture that has us banging our heads on the walls.

And that's what it comes down to. All we want is the ability to say No to something we don't want to do. Society refuses to give it to you unless you are:

A. The ONE person in your group who is going to be driving a vehicle for the rest of the group

or

B. Someone who has had such a severe problem drinking in the past that you must never do so again to avoid relapsing into addiction.

Anything else is not considered a good enough excuse.

What's worse, being recovering alcoholic is occasionally not accepted as a valid excuse in Poland.

Other issues with (not) drinking in Poland: there is a common adage of "only snitches don't drink" (Poland was occupied by foreign powers for over a hundred years, developing a wide network of conspirators and revolutionists), followed by short period of independence, followed by WWII with the most developed resistance in the world... Only to come under Soviet influence with its widespread oppression and surveillance. Let's say that distrust of authorities is rather strong, and cooperating with law enforcement is viewed with very mixed opinions, although it's getting better) - not drinking means you have something to hide, and a strong hint of narcissism with "you won't drink with ME?!" which is based on inability to comprehend that some folks don't want to drink, thus if you don't want to drink with someone it's because you have something against that person.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Drejk wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Just a Mort wrote:
I'd be happy to have a drink to make people happy. I know the alcohol content of stuff, so I shouldn't screw myself over.

Which if you want to, that's great.

But for those of us who don't (and even worse, those of us who CAN'T), this is a constant battle with the "perceived social norm" of our culture that has us banging our heads on the walls.

And that's what it comes down to. All we want is the ability to say No to something we don't want to do. Society refuses to give it to you unless you are:

A. The ONE person in your group who is going to be driving a vehicle for the rest of the group

or

B. Someone who has had such a severe problem drinking in the past that you must never do so again to avoid relapsing into addiction.

Anything else is not considered a good enough excuse.

What's worse, being recovering alcoholic is occasionally not accepted as a valid excuse in Poland.

Other issues with (not) drinking in Poland: there is a common adage of "only snitches don't drink" (Poland was occupied by foreign powers for over a hundred years, developing a wide network of conspirators and revolutionists), followed by short period of independence, followed by WWII with the most developed resistance in the world... Only to come under Soviet influence with its widespread oppression and surveillance. Let's say that distrust of authorities is rather strong, and cooperating with law enforcement is viewed with very mixed opinions, although it's getting better) - not drinking means you have something to hide, and a strong hint of narcissism with "you won't drink with ME?!" which is based on inability to comprehend that some folks don't want to drink, thus if you don't want to drink with someone it's because you have something against that person.

interesting history.

There is a similar view here of refusing to drink meaning you are an undercover cop that I have encountered here.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

I have never experienced that level of pressure to drink, but very much so when it comes to food. I have deeply offended many people and even had some stop speaking to me because I refused to eat their food because of my severe allergies. It amazes me the number of people who take it as a deeply personal rejection if you don’t eat the food they’re offering. Like, no, I’m sure it’s lovely and all, but I’m equally sure it’s not worth dying for, so no thanks....And that is literally not considered a good enough excuse o.O


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Current mood: procrastinating like hell by doing all the chores I was putting off before so I can put off making a phone call to my insurance company to get them to correct my birthdate as they have screwed it up in their system since February. Dreading it. So much hold music. So many department transfers. So many opportunities to have my stutter render me unintelligible. And no guarantee that it will be fixed with one call. So much anxiety. :{


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Scint, that poem is the best and it made me laugh so much . :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:
John Napier 698 wrote:
Just a Mort wrote:
John Napier 698 wrote:
Mort, Amaretto is a fairly sweet liquor that tastes like almonds.

Shiny! I like Limoncellos too!

It's the Italians that have the good stuff, no?

Apparently drinking gets you naked...

They dip their Biscotti, a type of really hard cookie, into Amaretto to soften in before it's eaten. It's also really good in tea, from personal experience. Better than Rum, at least in flavor.

I'll never understand why biscotti has to be baked twice, I think it's better baked once, so it's not so hard.

Of course, I haven't been a baker for 16 years or so, so it just might be the rose colored glasses again.

Because biscotti baked once is pretty much just coffee cake? :P

I miss biscotti. It was literally my favorite dessert. And I just can’t get a gluten free version to come out right. It’s either all crumbles or tastes like paste. Sadness.

Edit: like doughnuts, it’s one of those things that I will probably never eat a good version of again. But I keep trying because I don’t learn from my mistakes and hope springs eternal yadda yadda yadda...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Aaaargh!!!!!!!! Yet again they turned off the water in the building without prior notice and no clue when it’s getting turned back on. >.<


lynora wrote:
I have never experienced that level of pressure to drink, but very much so when it comes to food. I have deeply offended many people and even had some stop speaking to me because I refused to eat their food because of my severe allergies. It amazes me the number of people who take it as a deeply personal rejection if you don’t eat the food they’re offering. Like, no, I’m sure it’s lovely and all, but I’m equally sure it’s not worth dying for, so no thanks....And that is literally not considered a good enough excuse o.O

so...is that a no on katz deli, followed by modest(read: copious) amounts of absinthe?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
lynora wrote:
Aaaargh!!!!!!!! Yet again they turned off the water in the building without prior notice and no clue when it’s getting turned back on. >.<

I am totally not replacing your water with absinthe.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

One of my children put their name on their 70-pt packet as "The."

ಠ_ಠ

Kid's lucky they handed it to me. I wouldn't remember whose it was otherwise.


Freehold DM wrote:
lynora wrote:
I have never experienced that level of pressure to drink, but very much so when it comes to food. I have deeply offended many people and even had some stop speaking to me because I refused to eat their food because of my severe allergies. It amazes me the number of people who take it as a deeply personal rejection if you don’t eat the food they’re offering. Like, no, I’m sure it’s lovely and all, but I’m equally sure it’s not worth dying for, so no thanks....And that is literally not considered a good enough excuse o.O
so...is that a no on katz deli, followed by modest(read: copious) amounts of absinthe?

Yeah, pretty sure Katz deli is out. :)

I’ve never tried absinthe, so I think it would be interesting to try a sip, but it’s always tricky with distilled alcohol to find out what the alcohol was made from. So I probably wouldn’t chance it, no.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
lynora wrote:
Aaaargh!!!!!!!! Yet again they turned off the water in the building without prior notice and no clue when it’s getting turned back on. >.<
I am totally not replacing your water with absinthe.

Lol. That’s good.

In less good news, my neighbors’ dishwasher is running so the maintenance crew have no doubt created a huge mess for themselves. Hopefully we won’t have water leaking into our apartment after they turn it back on.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Got thunderstormed off of work.

Still got the last of my cutting done, so I'm good.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:

an interesting point- it can be next to impossible to find unusual alcohol in the US. Good luck finding anything from absinthe to mead in most places unless there is a hoity toity limited production place in your town. The internet has changed things, but shipping can be awful.

Wait... What?

*tries to understand why mead is referred to in a sentence following mentioning unusual alcohols...*


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Drejk wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:

an interesting point- it can be next to impossible to find unusual alcohol in the US. Good luck finding anything from absinthe to mead in most places unless there is a hoity toity limited production place in your town. The internet has changed things, but shipping can be awful.

Wait... What?

*tries to understand why mead is referred to in a sentence following mentioning unusual alcohols...*

In the US, mead is not common to find. Good mead is very difficult to find.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Congrats on hitting 315, NH!! Pro play!! :)

And, yes -- good mead is quite difficult to acquire in the US.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Uhhh...lots of stuff!

lisamarlene wrote:


You're at 315 today, yes?
And 50 days from your first anniversary?
Or did I miscalculate?

Happy 50 day's to dry anniversary I guess ^^'

Just a Mort wrote:

Shiny! I like Limoncellos too!

It's the Italians that have the good stuff, no?

*Makes a sour face*

Haven't really had any good experiences with Limoncellos, it's been too tart and sour for my taste.

Just a Mort wrote:
I ever made a character based on this song.

*Checks his "make a character to match the song list"*

Maybe this song I guess or this one.
I would love to make a tribute character of one of the grand old proto-murderhobos...
*pause, but puts on a thoughtful expression*
or was he actually a paladin?...
*Googles Doom marine + Alignment*

About drinking and the social pressures there off
A complex issue.
Not in the sense of if you should be pressure into doing so - you shouldn't - but rather, why it could be seen as impolite, suspicious or otherwise "socially wrong" not doing so.
If anyone really is interested in why it might be I could try and make a post explaining some of it (Drejk already touched on some of it in one of his posts), but I wouldn't want to bore people with a wall of text they aren't interested in.

As for myself, long time user to the point where it slips into being a form of self-medication. I gladly offer up a sniff drink for any guests, partake in plenty myself, but will moderate if it makes anyone uncomfortable.
There no expectations from my side on anyone at a get together I'm hosting, in fact I appreciate if someone tells it straight to me if they have any problems with alcohol (physical, mental or whatever) so some kind of compromise can be made for them. Though being dry in the Danish party-culture (both youth and private) isn't an easy experience, with copious amount of alcohol consumption being pretty standart with every get-together, with the possible exception of (young) children's birthdays.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Off to have dinner with Aiymi, Zelda, and 2/3 of the kids, then going to see Avengers in IMAX.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Kjeldorn wrote:
Though being dry in the Danish party-culture (both youth and private) isn't an easy experience, with copious amount of alcohol consumption being pretty standart with every get-together, with the possible exception of (young) children's birthdays.

Getting into drunken brawls at Chuck E. Cheese's is an American tradition.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Only two of the Rainbow showed up, so they're looking at their pirate concepts.

"What's an aasimar?"
"Sucks to your aasimar!"


3 people marked this as a favorite.

You know you're an old-timer when...
...the primary PM and implementation consultant give you a jingle and ask, "Er, you're the only one we know of who knows how this works. Can you give us a hand?"

It was when they were at a meeting with my VP, so there's another few months of job security...


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:
Drejk wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:

an interesting point- it can be next to impossible to find unusual alcohol in the US. Good luck finding anything from absinthe to mead in most places unless there is a hoity toity limited production place in your town. The internet has changed things, but shipping can be awful.

Wait... What?

*tries to understand why mead is referred to in a sentence following mentioning unusual alcohols...*

In the US, mead is not common to find. Good mead is very difficult to find.

I know, I know, that was sort of... Well... Sting.

Poland is apparently the biggest producer of mead with traditional methods in the world...

Coincidentally, póltorak is not only the best grade of mead, but also a word used for bastard swords (one-and-half, or more literally half-and-oner, as pół itself means half, and półtora one-and-half) in Polish.


7 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
NobodysHome wrote:
Kjeldorn wrote:
Though being dry in the Danish party-culture (both youth and private) isn't an easy experience, with copious amount of alcohol consumption being pretty standart with every get-together, with the possible exception of (young) children's birthdays.
Getting into drunken brawls at Chuck E. Cheese's is an American tradition.

That f!~$ing mouse had it coming.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Six more hours to go.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

"They had us do the outside the box thing, so now we're doing the same thing, but with stupid ideas" - The General, complaining about work I assume.

190,601 to 190,650 of 240,280 << first < prev | 3808 | 3809 | 3810 | 3811 | 3812 | 3813 | 3814 | 3815 | 3816 | 3817 | 3818 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.