Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

185,551 to 185,600 of 238,628 << first < prev | 3707 | 3708 | 3709 | 3710 | 3711 | 3712 | 3713 | 3714 | 3715 | 3716 | 3717 | next > last >>

3 people marked this as a favorite.

I would be really happy if the work day was over and I could be having a good Scotch on hand.

But tonight I go on a road trip, extending into tomorrow. Dinner with a wonderful woman at a Cajun place near Starved Rock. The owner only has the place open 4 days a week. The other 3 he spends driving halfway to Louisiana and back to meet his brother to pick up the catch for the next week.

From there we're heading over to the Mississippi River and following it up to Prairie du Chien. Tool around there, drive around on the twisty roads of the Wisconsin River valley...and be back in Illinois for an art show on Sunday afternoon. Busy weekend, but should be fun and relaxing.

As long as I make it through work...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hey, who doesn't show up to work naked?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

If you drive through Madison feel free to stop by.

i can PM my phone number if you want (assuming PM still works).


@Vodka drinkers in the U.S.: Is it true that all vodka tastes the same? Apparently by law, all 'pure' vodka must taste the same. (1) “Vodka” is neutral spirits so distilled, or so treated after distillation with charcoal or other materials, as to be without distinctive character, aroma, taste, or color.

Also, the Code of Alcohol, Tobacco Products, and Firearms?! One of those things is not like the others.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

@Tac, I sent a PM your way. :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tequila Sunrise wrote:

@Vodka drinkers in the U.S.: Is it true that all vodka tastes the same? Apparently by law, all 'pure' vodka must taste the same. (1) “Vodka” is neutral spirits so distilled, or so treated after distillation with charcoal or other materials, as to be without distinctive character, aroma, taste, or color.

Also, the Code of Alcohol, Tobacco Products, and Firearms?! One of those things is not like the others.

Well, to my experience, vodka has no flavor or scent.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

*shudder*

I don't drink Vodka, anymore.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

The letters are so big on my computer with the site update, i feel like i'm on SesameStreet.com or something.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

CY - PM received and replied. Yeah, depending on time, we can make it over there. I'll call you with more concrete plans tonight or in the morning once we have a better idea ourselves. Right now it was just a decision we made last night with no actual plans beyond "pick a direction".


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I don't drink vodka much since a bad (young and stupid) incident around December 1992.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Vanykrye wrote:
CY - PM received and replied. Yeah, depending on time, we can make it over there. I'll call you with more concrete plans tonight or in the morning once we have a better idea ourselves. Right now it was just a decision we made last night with no actual plans beyond "pick a direction".

Those are the best trips! No worries if you don't have time or if Madison is outside your plans.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

The Fake Russian is a vodka snob (surprise, surprise), but from personal experience I have found that he can name the vodka I've put in a drink, even in something where its flavor should supposedly be subsumed, such as a vodka and tonic.

So whatever the standards are, no, vodka has a flavor, it's just hard for most of us to notice it.


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Sometimes I'm reminded about how incredibly cheap Wisconsinites can be.

It only costs fifteen dollars to get rid of an old TV, yet every week a new TV is ditched in the road of our neighborhood, are they cheap or lazy, I don't know, but it's super annoying.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

I seriously need to start compiling a quote mine for my classroom.

"How do you accidentally end up on death row?"
"I dunno, but my last meal before the chair will be an entire bag of unpopped popcorn kernels."

"She's the ninja of baseball."


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Just a Mort wrote:
Limeylongears wrote:

What have I been thinking today?

1) Bloody hell, it's cold.

2) Would it be possible to have sex in plate armour?

My guess would be yes, possibly, but I shall have to ask my historical reenactment pals what they think, and whether they've tried it.

I bet they have.

Why the hell would anyone want to have sex in plate Armour. *scratches head, puzzled*

Am I the only one who likes to think about being on the receiving end of the firm yet tender attentions of curvaceous paladins?

Probably. O well - more for meeeee.


I drink stout, or porter, or mild, or Scotch, or bitter, or pale ale, in order of preference.

Cider makes me bilious, and I don't see the point of vodka.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Scotch, bourbon, stout, and porter.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

The Fake Russian is a vodka snob (surprise, surprise), but from personal experience I have found that he can name the vodka I've put in a drink, even in something where its flavor should supposedly be subsumed, such as a vodka and tonic.

So whatever the standards are, no, vodka has a flavor, it's just hard for most of us to notice it.

And, at his request, I am bringing him an entire gallon of my family recipe tomorrow.


5 people marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:

Sometimes I'm reminded about how incredibly cheap Wisconsinites can be.

It only costs fifteen dollars to get rid of an old TV, yet every week a new TV is ditched in the road of our neighborhood, are they cheap or lazy, I don't know, but it's super annoying.

Gods, I wish it were that easy for me.

I have about 20 cubic feet of e-waste (an old printer, boom box, coffee machine, sump pump, etc.). You cannot have them come take it from your house. You can either:
(1) Drive to East Oakland and drop it off from 9:30 - 11:30 am on weekdays, because people who work don't generate e-waste. (Closed for all holidays, and on a whim, so call before you come.)
(2) Wait for a poorly-announced event
(3) Wait for Hi to be doing one of his regular runs and dump stuff in HIS station wagon, since he doesn't work

Grumble, grumble, grumble...


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Paladin codes don't apply to the bedroom, just saying.


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

A lot less seepage now.

So Yay!

Also not as painful today.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tequila Sunrise wrote:
@Tac, I sent a PM your way. :)

Got it!

I sent you a PM back!

Also, I got your PM, John, and replied!

Sorry for delayed responses. No way to tell if I've got a PM or not!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Yeah, the whole, "Guess whether you have a PM" game is not my favorite thing.

If you PM me, you'd better post here or in Ask NobodysHome Anything, 'cause otherwise I ain't answerin'!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I now check them when I shortcut through my profile, but yes I miss the old flaming envelope.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:

I seriously need to start compiling a quote mine for my classroom.

"How do you accidentally end up on death row?"
"I dunno, but my last meal before the chair will be an entire bag of unpopped popcorn kernels."

"She's the ninja of baseball."

How about, "Things my students say?"


Ok so U.S. vodka all tastes the same, for some value of 'the same.' I don't know why I've taken such an interest in this, I don't even drink. But it's just why? Like I could see defining proofs for the purpose of regulating particular alcohols, and I could see requiring distillers to filter out potentially dangerous stuff -- other than the alcohol itself, of course. But regulating flavor just seems so petty.

I haven't been able to find any explanation, which makes me think that this is one of those random historical quirks. Like maybe it was in someone's business interests -- and thus in some crooked politicians' political interests -- to make all vodkas taste the same. Or maybe it was something spawned during the Red Scare -- can't have our young and inebriated youth getting seduced into communism by those Russians and their flavored vodkas!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

One of the benefits of having a great eye for details is I'm crushing the kids at Punch Buggy (no I don't actually hit them, I just yell out (or send them a picture) "punch buggy!").


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I remember when The Adult Child used to play Punch Bug in her early teen years. She would actually punch me. While I was driving. Could *not* get her to understand just how dangerous that was until she was the one sitting behind the wheel.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I remember playing Punch Buggy with my siblings in the '70s during trips between Charleston, West Virginia and Pittsburgh to visit my maternal grandparents.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:

A lot less seepage now.

So Yay!

Also not as painful today.

Here's a bit of free advice. No toast until you're fully healed. Speaking from experience here.


6 people marked this as a favorite.

W00t! The show is DONE! Final song happening NOW and nothing bad happened.
Now we just have to pack up and go back to campus and put everything back in the attic for next year.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

And we're not EVEN going to talk about how much money the boss's daughter just spent on brand new costumes for her campus when we can't even get a full-time janitor at ours.


captain yesterday wrote:

Ah yes, the annual "Crookshanks needs to get her grades up or she has to go to summer school" talk with her teachers this morning.

I think I'd rather get a few more teeth pulled.

Yikes.


lisamarlene wrote:
And we're not EVEN going to talk about how much money the boss's daughter just spent on brand new costumes for her campus when we can't even get a full-time janitor at ours.

Double yikes.


Just a Mort wrote:

*waves vaguely at FAWTL peeps*

I just had 6 glasses of red wine. 4 Bordeaux, year 2013, 2 cinnea, year 2016, by brown Brothers =)

Triple yikes.

leaves large bag of catnip for mort to enjoy


Limey's Sexey Dreamz wrote:
Just a Mort wrote:
Limeylongears wrote:

What have I been thinking today?

1) Bloody hell, it's cold.

2) Would it be possible to have sex in plate armour?

My guess would be yes, possibly, but I shall have to ask my historical reenactment pals what they think, and whether they've tried it.

I bet they have.

Why the hell would anyone want to have sex in plate Armour. *scratches head, puzzled*

Am I the only one who likes to think about being on the receiving end of the firm yet tender attentions of curvaceous paladins?

Probably. O well - more for meeeee.

I would more dole out the firm affection, but I'm all there for the curves.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
John Napier 698 wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:

A lot less seepage now.

So Yay!

Also not as painful today.

Here's a bit of free advice. No toast until you're fully healed. Speaking from experience here.

Ouch! Yes, definitely no toast for a good long while.

I expect my diet for the next week to consist primarily yogurt, pudding, cottage cheese, apple sauce, bananas, and mac and cheese.

After that, we'll see about adding more adventurous fare.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
John Napier 698 wrote:
I remember playing Punch Buggy with my siblings in the '70s during trips between Charleston, West Virginia and Pittsburgh to visit my maternal grandparents.

I never heard of it until the kids started doing it last summer.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:
John Napier 698 wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:

A lot less seepage now.

So Yay!

Also not as painful today.

Here's a bit of free advice. No toast until you're fully healed. Speaking from experience here.

Ouch! Yes, definitely no toast for a good long while.

I expect my diet for the next week to consist primarily yogurt, pudding, cottage cheese, apple sauce, bananas, and mac and cheese.

After that, we'll see about adding more adventurous fare.

OH! Lots of kiwi! Those seeds will help clean the area! Yes! Why, no, I'm not trying to suggest something just to see the look of pain on your face for my own amusement. I wouldn't do that...why are you looking at me like that?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Oh....and Doritos!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:
Oh....and Doritos!

Yes, that too. And no alcohol. Especially the hard stuff.


captain yesterday wrote:
John Napier 698 wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:

A lot less seepage now.

So Yay!

Also not as painful today.

Here's a bit of free advice. No toast until you're fully healed. Speaking from experience here.

Ouch! Yes, definitely no toast for a good long while.

I expect my diet for the next week to consist primarily yogurt, pudding, cottage cheese, apple sauce, bananas, and mac and cheese.

After that, we'll see about adding more adventurous fare.

Add V-8 once you're sure that the acid from the tomato juice base won't cause you any pain. And Tomato soup. And Milk, for the Calcium.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
John Napier 698 wrote:
When I'm not drinking Beer, I drink: Sake ( typically Sho Chiku Bai ), Rum ( Cap Morgan's Spiced ), Whiskey ( Crown Royal ), and Vodka ( Absolut )

My rule of thumb for beer is: the darker and stronger the better

but other then that... Sake (Should really look into that), Rum (Havana Club if I'm mixing or on a budget, Ron Matusalem if I'm just having a glass by myself and El Dorado if I'm having guests or wanna blow away my cash), Whiskey (Old Pulteney but it's harder to get my hands on, so often an Oban, or if I have to go cheap The Singleton), and Vodka (Again haven't dug into these much...but for cheap and "mostly headache free experience" I would go for a Stolichnaya)

Just a Mort wrote:

*waves vaguely at FAWTL peeps*

I just had 6 glasses of red wine. 4 Bordeaux, year 2013, 2 cinnea, year 2016, by brown Brothers =)

*Pets Mort and fluffs her fur*

Good kitty! Can't go completely wrong with a nice Bordeaux.

Edit: Oh and of cause, people who mix their spirits with anything other then a splash of water are clearly Philistines! ^^


I had a bottle of Old Pulteney once. My mother brought a bottle home from Scotland, which was where my brother had his wedding. I think it's available here as an import. I'll have to look.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Tequila Sunrise wrote:

@Vodka drinkers in the U.S.: Is it true that all vodka tastes the same? Apparently by law, all 'pure' vodka must taste the same. (1) “Vodka” is neutral spirits so distilled, or so treated after distillation with charcoal or other materials, as to be without distinctive character, aroma, taste, or color.

Also, the Code of Alcohol, Tobacco Products, and Firearms?! One of those things is not like the others.

Wut?

Haven't they heard of flavored vodkas? Herbal vodkas?


Doritos, booze, and kiwis!?!

F%!# yes.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I am both a social drinker, and not overly social.

Small groups, that's where I shine.


Sho Chiku Bai is in a three liter glass jug that sells for about $15 here in Pittsburgh. It's moderately sweet and tastes of rice.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:

Sometimes I'm reminded about how incredibly cheap Wisconsinites can be.

It only costs fifteen dollars to get rid of an old TV, yet every week a new TV is ditched in the road of our neighborhood, are they cheap or lazy, I don't know, but it's super annoying.

Gods, I wish it were that easy for me.

I have about 20 cubic feet of e-waste (an old printer, boom box, coffee machine, sump pump, etc.). You cannot have them come take it from your house. You can either:
(1) Drive to East Oakland and drop it off from 9:30 - 11:30 am on weekdays, because people who work don't generate e-waste. (Closed for all holidays, and on a whim, so call before you come.)
(2) Wait for a poorly-announced event
(3) Wait for Hi to be doing one of his regular runs and dump stuff in HIS station wagon, since he doesn't work

Grumble, grumble, grumble...

Huh? Here public trash removal company has an "electro-brigade", a service, where they come and take your e-trash free of charge and you can negotiate their arrival time within their working hours to a degree, or you can drop them at the recycling center for free every weekday (10 AM - 6 PM) and Saturdays (7:30 AM - 3:30 PM).

You could expect California to have better organized trash removal than us...


2 people marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:

I am both a social drinker, and not overly social.

Small groups, that's where I shine.

Moonshine?

185,551 to 185,600 of 238,628 << first < prev | 3707 | 3708 | 3709 | 3710 | 3711 | 3712 | 3713 | 3714 | 3715 | 3716 | 3717 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.