Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

182,801 to 182,850 of 234,253 << first < prev | 3652 | 3653 | 3654 | 3655 | 3656 | 3657 | 3658 | 3659 | 3660 | 3661 | 3662 | next > last >>

2 people marked this as a favorite.

We had quite a few books, but not many fantasy or sci-fi beyond what I bought for myself. I've just always preferred to read sci-fi over fantasy. My Dad is a big fan of Steinbeck, so he had all of his books, and we had quite a few of the "classics" floating around. We also borrowed a lot of books from the library.

Edit: Of course I read nekkid.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I just used to write abut having friends and solving mysteries. Then I discovered fantasy books. Then I discovered comic books. Then puberty hit.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

What kind of books, I wonder...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The kind of books you find in a box in the back of the garage with "great interviews" perhaps.

Or was that just me.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Fantasy > anything else. AND NO ROMANCE NOVELS! All that mushy mushy stuff makes me go EWWW!

I used to write about time travelling. And about adventures in the future/past. Geesh.


7 people marked this as a favorite.
Just a Mort wrote:

Some musings about random things. In high school, our teacher asked us to keep a journal. And we'd spend half an hour every week writing in it, supposedly about anything. Naive, innocent me, of course wrote about the mmorpg I was playing back then, Everquest. Yep I know it's an old classic. Then my parents get called up to school, being told that I may have an addiction problem with the game in question. And I should divert my time spent on the game on... Well socializing with classmates and being more "in reality."

I found I really didnt have much to write for journals. If you're not even allowed to write about what you like, then what is the point on keeping a journal if you have to guard what's really going on inside.

Yeah, it's weird -- they ask you to write a journal, which is an excellent exercise in learning to write well, and then they criticize you for your subject. Not smart.

We had the exact same idea in high school, but we could pretty much write about whatever. The teachers considered writing about destroying the school or whatnot to be "healthy venting". Unless it was directed at a specific person, you could really write "whatever" and it was OK.

I've told the story before, but it reminds me of when they were trying to do a psychological profile of Impus Major, and they gave him a picture of a car wreck and a second picture of an earthquake and asked him to write about them. His essays were hilarious, and the one with the earthquake ended with, "There were no survivors on that sad, sad day."

We got called in to the school to discuss his 'destructive' writings. The moment the principal saw the pictures, she started laughing, too. We looked the therapist straight in the eye and asked, "So, you asked a 10-year-old boy to write about pictures of natural or man-made disasters. What did you expect to get?"

We haven't been bothered since.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Captain Yesterday, Boob Brained wrote:

The kind of books you find in a box in the back of the garage with "great interviews" perhaps.

Or was that just me.

Or the ones you find out in the woods, with True Confessions and Letters that are Definitely from Actual Female Readers, which you read for the articles, of course.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Just a Mort wrote:

The root of the problem I suspect was that I was, and in certain ways, am, too different.

Gaming? You're a girl. Girls shouldn't be playing computer games.

That is SO bizarre. As teenagers, we SO desperately wanted to hang around with girls that we would have been ecstatic to find a gamer girl. We constantly invited our girlfriends/friends/any girl we knew to game with us because hanging around with girls was better than not hanging around with girls.

But yes, I know a lot of guys get disgruntled when a girl is better than them at anything.

But that's the guys' problem, not the girl's.

We would rather have associated with as many girls as possible, as often as possible. We were teenage boys.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Dirty Old Victorian Longears wrote:
Captain Yesterday, Boob Brained wrote:

The kind of books you find in a box in the back of the garage with "great interviews" perhaps.

Or was that just me.

Or the ones you find out in the woods, with True Confessions and Letters that are Definitely from Actual Female Readers, which you read for the articles, of course.

Those were kept in the pig barn, the one out building my mom was guaranteed not to go inside.

The perks of renting old farm houses in the country is inevitably there was a lot of porn stashes to be found, either from previous tenants, or the dirty old men that rent out run down farmhouses. :-)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I think I'll just clean up a little bit on my side of the bed...

Three hours later.

Damn rabbit holes!!


5 people marked this as a favorite.

My mom got called into school when I was eleven because my teacher found my reading matter to be "morally inappropriate". I was reading "Death on the Nile".
I never got in trouble for my writing (mostly gothic horror or espionage/murder at that point) because I was the only kid in the school whose parents were getting divorced, and it was a very small town, so it was assumed I would be "troubled".
I even made a plaster-of-paris gun in art class.
This being the 1980's, I painted it turquoise and purple.
The art teacher didn't care because his only rule about art made by girls was that it not have unicorns, hearts, or rainbows on it, or it went in the trash. So it passed. His only comment was that I had sculpted the sight too wide to be useful.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
Just a Mort wrote:

The root of the problem I suspect was that I was, and in certain ways, am, too different.

Gaming? You're a girl. Girls shouldn't be playing computer games.

That is SO bizarre. As teenagers, we SO desperately wanted to hang around with girls that we would have been ecstatic to find a gamer girl. We constantly invited our girlfriends/friends/any girl we knew to game with us because hanging around with girls was better than not hanging around with girls.

But yes, I know a lot of guys get disgruntled when a girl is better than them at anything.

But that's the guys' problem, not the girl's.

We would rather have associated with as many girls as possible, as often as possible. We were teenage boys.

I find it bizarre as well. 2/3 of the Rainbow are girls.


9 people marked this as a favorite.

That was my thousandth post. Today I have been on Paizo for one year.

I like you guys.

Also, I can post here without fear of my mom and half of my extended family texting "WTF was that about?" at me.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Just a Mort wrote:

It's not can't be bothered to get equipment. It's that there are too many people waiting for the equipment. Life still goes on.

It's like you may need an organ transplant, but there are no organs available. What to do?

It's more like I need a full lung transplant, and the hospital can't be bothered to schedule me before people who want Botox.

My initial sleep study and follow-up were originally scheduled for this month and next month, respectively. It's only when I called to tell them that I'd be out of a job (and health insurance) and when I called to ask after my study results that the staff went "Oh gee, we can get you in within days." They clearly had less needy patients cancel on them, but couldn't be bothered to call their extreme patients to offer those openings. Which is pretty f@!~ed up, because it's often the most needy patients who can't advocate for themselves.

Some people become doctors because they want to help people; but many do so because they want to make $$$, and are bad at managing their patients. Even when better management would actually make them more $$$ -- for example a hospital can't charge a patient for an organ transplant if that patient is dead by the time a surgeon gets around to performing the transplant.

It's a mistake to assume that private enterprise operates at maximum efficiency -- not to mention my own -- with the assumption that lax care is a matter of limited resources. Because all too often it isn't.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:

That was my thousandth post. Today I have been on Paizo for one year.

I like you guys.

Also, I can post here without fear of my mom and half of my extended family texting "WTF was that about?" at me.

FaWtL is a nice, safe place to vent. About Whingey Wizard, Bacon Boy, work, or what-have-you.

I usually hate social media, but FaWtL just feels "different". A very welcoming, yet very diverse crowd.

I like to tell NobodysWife that FaWtL is awesome and I love everybody on it, but if I were to meet half the people we'd probably hate each other instantly...
...people like lisamarlene! Grrr!!!!

(Seriously, though. Picking up 5 pounds of lamb stew meat tonight for a giant pot-o-vindaloo. Your cooking wish is my command. As long as it doesn't involve baking or custards...)

EDIT: OK. That came out sounding REALLY bad. It's not so much, "Oh, I'm sure I'd hate this person. It's just hilarious how often you get along with someone splendidly over social media or remotely, and then you meet them and you somehow find them grating. Working from home and meeting all my co-workers remotely, then finally getting together and meeting them in person, it's a remarkably-common occurrence for me...


12 people marked this as a favorite.

Speaking of venting and celebrating, last night was just such a classic example of, "Who NobodysHome is" and "Why NobodysHome isn't a millionaire":

Impus Major mentioned that there was a big choir get-together at the high school from 6:30 - 9:00 pm. I asked him what kind of food they were going to have. He said, "Oh, the choir teacher said we don't have the money for food, so it's just going to be a big get-together."

Cue NobodysHome sending half a dozen "mountain" pizzas, a "family size" salad, and a dozen water bottles to the choir room, adding a ludicrous tip for the pizza delivery guy because everybody needs a good night sometimes.

I'd been hoping to do it remotely: Just have the pizzas delivered, avoid the accolades, but hear how much everyone enjoyed the pizzas. That's kind of who I am.

Unfortunately, Impus Major forgot the Wiimotes for the Super Smash Brothers competition, which was kind of the point of the evening, so I had to go by and drop them off, just as the pizza guy showed up.

Cue ludicrous and embarrassing thanks from the pizza guy (yes, it really was a stupid huge tip. 20% of half a dozen mountain pizzas is a LOT), hugs from the teacher, cheers from the students, and far more attention than I wanted.

I like doing nice things for people. I just don't like all the attention it entails. All I want to know is that I made them happy.


9 people marked this as a favorite.

Oh, for-

Another kid tried the copy-paste thing. Left my bolded comments on why the answer is wrong. In the same hour as the kid from the other day!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Our groundhog needs a good kick in the nether regions.

73 and clear skies yesterday. In the low 70's and bright and sunny all week.
Our annual rainfall so far is around 5".

We need the rain, stupid rodent!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:

Oh, for-

Another kid tried the copy-paste thing. Left my bolded comments on why the answer is wrong. In the same hour as the kid from the other day!

Please tell me that he copy/pasted the other guy's response.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Scintillae wrote:

Oh, for-

Another kid tried the copy-paste thing. Left my bolded comments on why the answer is wrong. In the same hour as the kid from the other day!

Please tell me that he copy/pasted the other guy's response.

Different assignment.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Scintillae wrote:

Oh, for-

Another kid tried the copy-paste thing. Left my bolded comments on why the answer is wrong. In the same hour as the kid from the other day!

Please tell me that he copy/pasted the other guy's response.
Different assignment.

Dang. That would have been hilarious.


6 people marked this as a favorite.

So far my birthday is off to a good start. I’m 41 today. The kidlet gave me the card he made for me this morning. Apparently the reason he’s been so tired this week is because he’s been staying up late to work on it every night this week. It’s a really cool card. :)
Side note: we never buy cards. Well, almost never. Sometimes I buy blank cards for holidays and such. But mostly we just make cards for all special occasions. I don’t remember why it started, but we’ve been doing it this way since the kidlet was little. Probably because I’m disorganized and never remembered to buy cards ahead of time. :P


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Hey Scint, maybe you can recruit the Rainbow to help keep people on the straight and narrow. Tell them that for every copy/pasted, plagiarized, or whatever assignment someone turns in, you will get a bonus on all your attack rolls against them in their next game. Then they'll go to all the other students and police them to make sure that they don't cheat because "Ms. Scint will kill our characters if you do!!!". This is extra funny if the other students don't know that you're running a Pathfinder game for them.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

That would require the Rainbow to have a lot more clout than they do.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
lynora wrote:

So far my birthday is off to a good start. I’m 41 today. The kidlet gave me the card he made for me this morning. Apparently the reason he’s been so tired this week is because he’s been staying up late to work on it every night this week. It’s a really cool card. :)

Side note: we never buy cards. Well, almost never. Sometimes I buy blank cards for holidays and such. But mostly we just make cards for all special occasions. I don’t remember why it started, but we’ve been doing it this way since the kidlet was little. Probably because I’m disorganized and never remembered to buy cards ahead of time. :P

Happy birthday! Now dance in your birthday suit!


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:
That would require the Rainbow to have a lot more clout than they do.

Give them some baseball bats and they'll have lots of clout.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Happy Birthday, Lynora!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Scintillae wrote:
That would require the Rainbow to have a lot more clout than they do.
Give them some baseball bats and they'll have lots of clout.

And assault charges...and suspensions...


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Happy birthday Lynora! Always great when kids go out of their way to try to make something special for parents.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

Our groundhog needs a good kick in the nether regions.

73 and clear skies yesterday. In the low 70's and bright and sunny all week.
Our annual rainfall so far is around 5".

We need the rain, stupid rodent!

We're expecting more snow early next week.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Spending time at the Library before getting ready for work. That does it. I'm getting another service just for home. Maybe Xfinity prepaid. There's a Boost mobile store near me. Happy FaWtL anniversary LisaMarlene. Mine was in September.

The Exchange

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Happy bdae Lynora! Usually for Bdaes we go out for a good nom ;)

Gran wrote:


Give them some baseball bats and they'll have lots of clout.

That was really too hilarious not to favorite. Says some nasty things about me but what the hell, I don't care =)

It's OK NH, its nice to get a lot of hugs for a job well done =)

Tequila - the sad thing is I am in my profession for money and making a living. And people - generally if they aren't constantly being chased...out of sight = out of mind. Thus the issues with patient management.

So yeah if I want something done...I can be bloody persistent in bothering the party in question for it.

Tequila:

I would never do pro-bono work. Sure I'm sure there are lots of people needing legal advice, but my heart is not big enough for it. Basically it boils down to if I want to do a job, I want to do it right, and if I have to squeeze out time off my schedule to do things, chances are it's not going to be done to my satisfaction, and so I rather not do it at all.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Scintillae wrote:
That would require the Rainbow to have a lot more clout than they do.
Give them some baseball bats and they'll have lots of clout.
And assault charges...and suspensions...

Then teach them to bake and then maybe they'll have enough clafoutis to effect a change.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Just a Mort wrote:
Happy bdae Lynora! Usually for Bdaes we go out for a good nom ;)

Why did I read "bdae" as "bidet"? That wouldn't be so good.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
Just a Mort wrote:

The root of the problem I suspect was that I was, and in certain ways, am, too different.

Gaming? You're a girl. Girls shouldn't be playing computer games.

That is SO bizarre. As teenagers, we SO desperately wanted to hang around with girls that we would have been ecstatic to find a gamer girl. We constantly invited our girlfriends/friends/any girl we knew to game with us because hanging around with girls was better than not hanging around with girls.

But yes, I know a lot of guys get disgruntled when a girl is better than them at anything.

But that's the guys' problem, not the girl's.

We would rather have associated with as many girls as possible, as often as possible. We were teenage boys.

Most people find me too blunt and outspoken for a girl. I think I think and act more like a guy anyway. Like I'm not bothered if I need to track across muddy fields or climb fences to get to where I need to go.

I suppose people associate girls with being gentle, submissive and feely, which for me, I am none of them.

I don't have girlish habits(like I can't sew, nor knit), unless you count cooking, in which I'll just say, well, if you like eating, you'd better learn how to cook, eh?

And to be honest? I'd say I'm smarter and cheesier then the average pathfinder, whatever their gender may be. And I know the unspeakable cheese, which Vidmaster7 can attest to :P

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.

But if you hit me with a Clafoutis, I'd eat it!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Thanks for the birthday wishes. :)
Instead of going out for noms we're staying in and having my birthday favorite, hot pot! And also chocolate fondue for dessert. Because nothing improves birthday cake like pouring molten chocolate over it. ^.^
My poor husband, he feels bad because I end up cooking on my birthday, but I like to cook so I don't see the problem. Now if I can just get him to let go of the misplaced guilt. :)

The Exchange

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Fondue... Sweet stuff...

*Maos at the window, hoping to be let in*

Get your husband to volunteer to clean up the dishes, since he's feeling so guilty? =D

I'm happy to cook, but I hate washing up.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Also Tequila - I am guessing the doctor probably leaves his secretary in charge of the patient schedules, and since the secretary in question doesn't get any pay rise for patient management, she might be a why would I give myself extra work by scheduling another patient in, and also she probably doesn't even know the patients so she has no idea which cases are more serious then others.


6 people marked this as a favorite.
Just a Mort wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
Just a Mort wrote:

The root of the problem I suspect was that I was, and in certain ways, am, too different.

Gaming? You're a girl. Girls shouldn't be playing computer games.

That is SO bizarre. As teenagers, we SO desperately wanted to hang around with girls that we would have been ecstatic to find a gamer girl. We constantly invited our girlfriends/friends/any girl we knew to game with us because hanging around with girls was better than not hanging around with girls.

But yes, I know a lot of guys get disgruntled when a girl is better than them at anything.

But that's the guys' problem, not the girl's.

We would rather have associated with as many girls as possible, as often as possible. We were teenage boys.

Most people find me too blunt and outspoken for a girl. I think I think and act more like a guy anyway. Like I'm not bothered if I need to track across muddy fields or climb fences to get to where I need to go.

I suppose people associate girls with being gentle, submissive and feely, which for me, I am none of them.

I don't have girlish habits(like I can't sew, nor knit), unless you count cooking, in which I'll just say, well, if you like eating, you'd better learn how to cook, eh?

And to be honest? I'd say I'm smarter and cheesier then the average pathfinder, whatever their gender may be. And I know the unspeakable cheese, which Vidmaster7 can attest to :P

I am the girliest girl when it comes to hobbies. I sew, I knit, I crochet, I make jewelry, I do embroidery, I love to cook. I wear tons of jewelry all the time and take care with my appearance. I love fashion. No makeup usually, but aside from that very girly.

So you can only imagine my annoyance at being told how masculine and intimidating I come across. Like, what? Are you living in a parallel universe or something? I am very smart and blunt and have a wicked sense of humor and would rather die than talk about my feelings. But I have zero problems expressing my opinions and I am not the smile and go along with it type. I love science and math and consider the phrase 'you can't do that' to be a personal challenge. All of that is apparently enough to totally overwhelm any girly habits and likes I have when it comes to how people view me.

tl;dr: Gendered stereotypes are stupid :)

The Exchange

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Scint and NH - - >I live 8000 km away from you all. Asia I would think tends to be more patriarchial then America... And there are still overtones of the woman is to be the homemaker etc.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:

That was my thousandth post. Today I have been on Paizo for one year.

I like you guys.

Also, I can post here without fear of my mom and half of my extended family texting "WTF was that about?" at me.

FaWtL is a nice, safe place to vent. About Whingey Wizard, Bacon Boy, work, or what-have-you.

I usually hate social media, but FaWtL just feels "different". A very welcoming, yet very diverse crowd.

I like to tell NobodysWife that FaWtL is awesome and I love everybody on it, but if I were to meet half the people we'd probably hate each other instantly...
...people like lisamarlene! Grrr!!!!

(Seriously, though. Picking up 5 pounds of lamb stew meat tonight for a giant pot-o-vindaloo. Your cooking wish is my command. As long as it doesn't involve baking or custards...)

EDIT: OK. That came out sounding REALLY bad. It's not so much, "Oh, I'm sure I'd hate this person. It's just hilarious how often you get along with someone splendidly over social media or remotely, and then you meet them and you somehow find them grating. Working from home and meeting all my co-workers remotely, then finally getting together and meeting them in person, it's a remarkably-common occurrence for me...

You are not alone. I have much the same reaction with many coworkers. Then there's the people that I really hate to work with, but outside of work they're a lot of fun and completely reasonable. At work they're unreasonable, irrational, and entirely incompetent.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Sorry. Maths eats the thoughts out of my head, and the only science I've done lately is pathfinder science.

I'm often caught outdoors taking photos of animals, or swimming/cycling, if I'm not sitting at home playing computer games.

I wear whatever that's most comfortable and moan and groan when I have to dress fancy.


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Just a Mort wrote:
Scint and NH - - >I live 8000 km away from you all. Asia I would think tends to be more patriarchial then America... And there are still overtones of the woman is to be the homemaker etc.

Oh, there are definitely people in the States who think that way. And I am going to stop myself there.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Just a Mort wrote:

Sorry. Maths eats the thoughts out of my head, and the only science I've done lately is pathfinder science.

I'm often caught outdoors taking photos of animals, or swimming/cycling, if I'm not sitting at home playing computer games.

I wear whatever that's most comfortable and moan and groan when I have to dress fancy.

If your fancy clothes are uncomfortable, you're not doing it right! ;)

This is why I love knits. You can look nice and put together while being comfortable at the same time. :)


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:
Just a Mort wrote:
Scint and NH - - >I live 8000 km away from you all. Asia I would think tends to be more patriarchial then America... And there are still overtones of the woman is to be the homemaker etc.
Oh, there are definitely many, many people in the States who think that way. And I am going to stop myself there.

I went a little farther.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I am remembering why I rarely wear this bracelet. The points keep snagging on my clothes. It's annoying. Serious design flaw there. If they hadn't made the points curl up it would have been a lot easier to wear. It alternates between moonstones and silver leaves all the way around and the tips of the leaves are unnecessarily sharp. And, as I said, pointed up.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Happy Birthday Lynora!

I recommend not drinking 20 beers and then going to Great America the next morning.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Happy one thousandth post Lisa!

It would seem the bedroom cleaning rabbit hole is deeper than I thought.

Or rather, I dug deeper than I should have.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:

Happy Birthday Lynora!

I recommend not drinking 20 beers and then going to Great America the next morning.

But 19 would obviously be acceptable. It's kind of like my fantasy justification for cars that are governed to 155mph. Because you will absolutely survive a crash at 154, but 156 will vaporize your atoms before you even hit anything.

182,801 to 182,850 of 234,253 << first < prev | 3652 | 3653 | 3654 | 3655 | 3656 | 3657 | 3658 | 3659 | 3660 | 3661 | 3662 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.