Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

182,001 to 182,050 of 243,786 << first < prev | 3636 | 3637 | 3638 | 3639 | 3640 | 3641 | 3642 | 3643 | 3644 | 3645 | 3646 | next > last >>

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I've done that before. My favorite is an Anti-paladin. He's been defeated but never killed. My group cringes when I mention his name. He likes to feign honor. So when he does something underhanded they don't see it coming. I love having him come in soften them up with some other NPC that hired him but when things start going south he has no problem abandoning his allies.

I tried playing him as a PC once but it doesn't go over well with parties he destined to be a NPC forever.

Edit: He doesn't tend to be nekkid but I mean what ever works I suppose.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

That might be a tactic to try. He attacks them in a hot springs while all of them (and him) are nekkid. They'll never expect it.

Just make sure he has Exotic Weapon Proficiency "Swinging Cod".


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Or "wet towel snap"

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

What a hell of a Smite Good...


3 people marked this as a favorite.

How is it I'm more tired after going to bed at a reasonable hour than if I'd stayed up till midnight?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:
How is it I'm more tired after going to bed at a reasonable hour than if I'd stayed up till midnight?

I know that feeling all too well.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:
How is it I'm more tired after going to bed at a reasonable hour than if I'd stayed up till midnight?

I remember a Doctor saying that the body knows how much rest it needs. Go to sleep when you're tired, wake up when you're not. Don't force yourself. That's what makes you tired.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

But I'm always tired.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Drinkmorecoffee!!!


3 people marked this as a favorite.

But I don't like coffee...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I'm pretty sure those words can't be used in a sentence like that...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Today I splurged and got myself new shoes and a new pillow.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I had to call off work today. My Mother is in the Hospital with low blood sugar and extremely high blood pressure. I'll keep everyone posted.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Best wishes to her, John - hope her condition improves swiftly.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Prayers, John. All my best you and your mom.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

So it was either pure Java compiled using GNU and GNU itself is written in C, or it's a C/C++ wrapper of Java code.

But the majority of the code in that program is most likely Java.

Thanks, NH that's very helpful.

The [national subsidiary of the] global megacorp I work for offers all kinds training if I can make an argument that it'll help me do my job better. That .dll file is part of an interface program that we use to maintain some equipment. Twice now since we came out of warranty with the contractor who made the equipment and the program though, we've lost tons of time/energy/$ due to not having even an inkling of how the program works. The global megacorp does have a tech department somewhere, but they're perpetually occupied with bigger problems, so as John suggests I'm going to make the argument that getting trained in Java/C will reduce downtime and increase indepedence from contractor aid, which is inconsistent at best. :)


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Syrus Terrigan wrote:
I've got an anomalic body temp, too -- a whopping 96.8 F. No medical personnel believe me -- till they check it.

YES! And if my temp is 98.6, I'm running a FEVER. They never believe me.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Tequila Sunrise wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:

So it was either pure Java compiled using GNU and GNU itself is written in C, or it's a C/C++ wrapper of Java code.

But the majority of the code in that program is most likely Java.

Thanks, NH that's very helpful.

The [national subsidiary of the] global megacorp I work for offers all kinds training if I can make an argument that it'll help me do my job better. That .dll file is part of an interface program that we use to maintain some equipment. Twice now since we came out of warranty with the contractor who made the equipment and the program though, we've lost tons of time/energy/$ due to not having even an inkling of how the program works. The global megacorp does have a tech department somewhere, but they're perpetually occupied with bigger problems, so as John suggests I'm going to make the argument that getting trained in Java/C will reduce downtime and increase indepedence from contractor aid, which is inconsistent at best. :)

Well, I'm glad it'll get you training, but:

  • You should wait for John's analysis tools to do their job. I'm doing 1970's-era, "Look at what's readable (usually the error codes) and guess from there". It's fast, but it's not particularly accurate. John'll give you a MUCH better idea of what's actually going on.
  • Without the source code, knowing the language doesn't do diddly for you. "I know that this book is written in German, but it's written in invisible ink..."
    Knowing that it's in German gives you an idea as to sentence structure and so forth, but unless you can actually look at the text in the book, knowing German does little else for you.

  • 2 people marked this as a favorite.

    Looks at the sunny skies, 60-degree temps, and low rainfall totals and sighs

    Er, Freehold? What did you do with my winter?


    2 people marked this as a favorite.

    I agree with NH on both of his last two posts. I concur with his quick-and-dirty assessment about the code. I also am wondering where winter went. I was at the Women's March on Saturday on the state capitol steps and did not freeze my hindquarters off in late January. There is much wrong with that. Right now it's 57 out, and that's ridiculously warm for this time of year. The 10 day outlook only has a couple days below 40...if it stays this way it might be the shortest actual winter on record.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    Winter is never over.


    2 people marked this as a favorite.

    One of my techs just got reported as an email spam bot by another employee. One, my tech has a corporate email signature and can be found in the corporate address book. Two, my tech is in the same company that the supposed victim works for. My tech is even in IT, by some strange coincidence! Three, the idjit that reported my tech won't think twice about opening actual spam email and following every bogus link at least two or three times before reporting a broken website with links to the virus in the IT ticketing system...I guess I should be happy he's starting to question things that come through his email...

    All I want out of employees are some basic critical thinking skills and the ability to spell their own names.


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    NobodysHome wrote:

    Looks at the sunny skies, 60-degree temps, and low rainfall totals and sighs

    Er, Freehold? What did you do with my winter?

    gets on phone with weather dominator tech support


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Vanykrye wrote:

    One of my techs just got reported as an email spam bot by another employee. One, my tech has a corporate email signature and can be found in the corporate address book. Two, my tech is in the same company that the supposed victim works for. My tech is even in IT, by some strange coincidence! Three, the idjit that reported my tech won't think twice about opening actual spam email and following every bogus link at least two or three times before reporting a broken website with links to the virus in the IT ticketing system...I guess I should be happy he's starting to question things that come through his email...

    All I want out of employees are some basic critical thinking skills and the ability to spell their own names.

    Hmm. Weird.


    3 people marked this as a favorite.
    Vanykrye wrote:

    One of my techs just got reported as an email spam bot by another employee. One, my tech has a corporate email signature and can be found in the corporate address book. Two, my tech is in the same company that the supposed victim works for. My tech is even in IT, by some strange coincidence! Three, the idjit that reported my tech won't think twice about opening actual spam email and following every bogus link at least two or three times before reporting a broken website with links to the virus in the IT ticketing system...I guess I should be happy he's starting to question things that come through his email...

    All I want out of employees are some basic critical thinking skills and the ability to spell their own names.

    Yeah, I'd settle for the second of those.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    Yes I hate making typos and not realizing it makes programming extremely frustrating.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    NobodysHome wrote:
    Tequila Sunrise wrote:
    NobodysHome wrote:

    So it was either pure Java compiled using GNU and GNU itself is written in C, or it's a C/C++ wrapper of Java code.

    But the majority of the code in that program is most likely Java.

    Thanks, NH that's very helpful.

    The [national subsidiary of the] global megacorp I work for offers all kinds training if I can make an argument that it'll help me do my job better. That .dll file is part of an interface program that we use to maintain some equipment. Twice now since we came out of warranty with the contractor who made the equipment and the program though, we've lost tons of time/energy/$ due to not having even an inkling of how the program works. The global megacorp does have a tech department somewhere, but they're perpetually occupied with bigger problems, so as John suggests I'm going to make the argument that getting trained in Java/C will reduce downtime and increase indepedence from contractor aid, which is inconsistent at best. :)

    Well, I'm glad it'll get you training, but:

  • You should wait for John's analysis tools to do their job. I'm doing 1970's-era, "Look at what's readable (usually the error codes) and guess from there". It's fast, but it's not particularly accurate. John'll give you a MUCH better idea of what's actually going on.
  • Without the source code, knowing the language doesn't do diddly for you. "I know that this book is written in German, but it's written in invisible ink..."
    Knowing that it's in German gives you an idea as to sentence structure and so forth, but unless you can actually look at the text in the book, knowing German does little else for you.

  • interesting.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    Frickin...

    Clear. Wintry mix. Clear. Snow and wind near white-out.

    MAKE UP YOUR MIND.


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    Scintillae wrote:

    Frickin...

    Clear. Wintry mix. Clear. Snow and wind near white-out.

    MAKE UP YOUR MIND.

    attempts to switch scint, NobodysHome weather coordinates


    3 people marked this as a favorite.

    My Mother is home now. Her blood sugar was under 60, and the paramedics said her BP was 203 over something. The first BP in the hospital was 180 over 108. She's about to have a talk with her Primary Care. I really wish I knew what's going on.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    Im sorry John. Thats incredibly frustrating.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    Yes, it is. I'd bemoan my lost hours, but family comes first.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    John Napier 698 wrote:
    My Mother is home now. Her blood sugar was under 60, and the paramedics said her BP was 203 over something. The first BP in the hospital was 180 over 108. She's about to have a talk with her Primary Care. I really wish I knew what's going on.

    Wow. I'm sorry, John.

    I won't turn this into a political tirade, but she needs 24/7 home care for a few weeks so someone can monitor her habits; there are so many variables it's impossible to guess. Is she forgetting something from her routine? Taking a new herbal supplement that's messing up her medication? Taking conflicting medicines because she's seeing multiple doctors? Or is it something deeper?

    I wish you the best of luck with that, but dealing with it and your own health issues just sucks.

    Hang in there, man!

    NobodysWife's grandmother:
    After NobodysWife's grandmother was widowed, she was diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's, low blood pressure, diabetes, and a host of other woes. After a couple of years of almost-monthly emergencies, her son (NobodysWife's father) finally went up to figure out what was going on. She was going to THREE different doctors, not telling any of them about the other ones, and each doctor was trying to diagnose the symptoms she was complaining about without knowing about the other two doctors. So she ended up being on TWELVE conflicting medications. Her son put all the doctors in touch with each other, threw out all the medications, and within a couple of weeks every symptom was gone and she ended up living another 15 years or so.

    But there's something about some people where going to multiple doctors and not telling them about each other is a rational thing to do. I don't understand it.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    Tequila, NH, what I plan on doing, once I get the DLL is to analyze it using EXEDUMP.EXE, which is a shell for the linker. I'd be able to - get a disassembly listing, get a raw data dump, get a list of exported names ( the names of the DLL functions the program calls ), and so forth.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    NobodysHome wrote:
    John Napier 698 wrote:
    My Mother is home now. Her blood sugar was under 60, and the paramedics said her BP was 203 over something. The first BP in the hospital was 180 over 108. She's about to have a talk with her Primary Care. I really wish I knew what's going on.

    Wow. I'm sorry, John.

    I won't turn this into a political tirade, but she needs 24/7 home care for a few weeks so someone can monitor her habits; there are so many variables it's impossible to guess. Is she forgetting something from her routine? Taking a new herbal supplement that's messing up her medication? Taking conflicting medicines because she's seeing multiple doctors? Or is it something deeper?

    I wish you the best of luck with that, but dealing with it and your own health issues just sucks.

    Hang in there, man!

    ** spoiler omitted **

    She's not taking anything new. She has only the one doctor, unless she goes to the hospital. It might be something deeper, because it seems that the way her body is processing Insulin is fluctuating. She's had to reduce her sliding-scale doses because the insulin was making her "bottom out" that much faster.

    Doing my best to hang in.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    Sorry you’re having to deal with that, John. That’s pretty scary. I hope they figure out how to help her soon. *hugs*


    3 people marked this as a favorite.
    gran rey de los mono wrote:
    Just a Mort wrote:

    And this ain't the first airship story I've heard. I've got a Dragon Disciple who's a pryomaniac, who sensed something with his dragon senses(Blind sense), in the ship's engine room.

    His answer? I cast fireball into the room. Cue...ship crashing.

    Once upon a time I was running a 3.5 campaign, and the PCs tracked a bad guy to a sawmill. Their solution? Burn down the mill. I told them "You can do that, sure. Of course, it's the middle of the day and there are a couple of dozen workers there who may die if you do this." Their new solution? Yell "Fire! Fire!" to get the workers running, and then set the mill on fire. It worked. None of the workers died. The bad guy also ran away in the confusion, which my players thought was unfair. Apparently they believed that the bad guy either wouldn't hear the panicked screams, or that he would choose not to flee a burning sawmill.

    Fire related stories huh...

    Also back in ye olden 3.5 days I was playing in a intrigue/city based campaign.
    We were all playing as dwarfs for some reason that escapes memory, but that's besides the point. We were in this large city that had been hit by multiple calamities, so it was part ruins and part city (ie the city rebuild 5 foot to the right of all the ruins), resulting in a "dead city" and a living one.
    We had investigated a string of ritual murders in the area (the bodies were mostly dumped in the "dead city", thus outside the law mostly). However in do so, we might have steeped on the feet of some local gangs that roamed in the "dead city", mostly due to misunderstandings, jumping the gun or just plain old "you trying to mug me punk?!".
    These just missteps escalated further as we began throwing weight around in the underworld to dig up clues to the murders (a player or two might also have their sights set on a future semi-legal enterprise...).
    After multiple attempted muggings, getting s*@@ stolen from us, assaults and a ogre-gram (three ogres wearing thieves masks wanting to break our legs and telling us to skip town - yes in that order...). We had enough.
    So we used our contacts to get the local low lives invited to a sit down/gambling turnement. We spend days getting the word out, making sure that the right people hear, while dissuading the common gamblers from trying to get in - it was a "made men" only event.
    It was all going down in a relatively intact building in the "dead city" (we even fixed her up a bit to make things look fancy). Then the evening before the event, we soaked the building in lamp oil, hid a few barrals of the stuff in various parts of the building, and hug up a lot of filled oil lamps to give the impression that they were stinking up the place. We boarded up all the windows and exits (except one - ie the front door and second floor front windows), placed a wagon full of junk out in front of the back entrance, blocking it, and place some bear-trap there too for good measure.
    So we invited our victims in, had them brought food and drink, had them begin the festivities...
    And about an hour in, the party excuses it self, we lit the house on fire, one party member nailed the front door shut while the rest prepared weapons and crossbows out front, and waited for those who would bail from the second floor.
    Sure we didn't get all of them, some escaped, some burned, but the front of the building was a slaughtering ground, and the message was sent (or at least we thought it was).

    Still to this day "a gambling tournament" has a whole different meaning in that gaming group ^^'.


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    John Napier 698 wrote:
    My Mother is home now. Her blood sugar was under 60, and the paramedics said her BP was 203 over something. The first BP in the hospital was 180 over 108. She's about to have a talk with her Primary Care. I really wish I knew what's going on.

    *Gives burly man-hug*

    Say the word, and I'm here to listen!
    You've been hit so hard by your own and mothers (health + other) problems that its the least I can do!


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    Much to the Rainbow's disappointment, had to cancel today. When the super cancels all activities, I'm not going to argue.


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    Kjeldorn wrote:
    John Napier 698 wrote:
    My Mother is home now. Her blood sugar was under 60, and the paramedics said her BP was 203 over something. The first BP in the hospital was 180 over 108. She's about to have a talk with her Primary Care. I really wish I knew what's going on.

    *Gives burly man-hug*

    Say the word, and I'm here to listen!
    You've been hit so hard by your own and mothers (health + other) problems that its the least I can do!

    Thanks, Kjel.


    5 people marked this as a favorite.

    Some teachers work really hard to give ALL teachers a bad name.

    I've complained about Impus Minor's jock-turned-social-studies instructor before.

    Well, this morning his response to Impus Minor's illness was, "Impus, you can't just take time off from school whenever you feel like it."

    Consider just last week there was a news article talking about the 23-year-old jock who died because he tried to "tough his way" through the flu, I am... displeased.


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    NobodysHome wrote:

    Some teachers work really hard to give ALL teachers a bad name.

    I've complained about Impus Minor's jock-turned-social-studies instructor before.

    Well, this morning his response to Impus Minor's illness was, "Impus, you can't just take time off from school whenever you feel like it."

    Consider just last week there was a news article talking about the 23-year-old jock who died because he tried to "tough his way" through the flu, I am... displeased.

    inform him of the article. I am curious as to whether or not he is a "tough luck" kind of guy with respect to the flu and fatalities therein.


    5 people marked this as a favorite.
    Freehold DM wrote:
    NobodysHome wrote:

    Some teachers work really hard to give ALL teachers a bad name.

    I've complained about Impus Minor's jock-turned-social-studies instructor before.

    Well, this morning his response to Impus Minor's illness was, "Impus, you can't just take time off from school whenever you feel like it."

    Consider just last week there was a news article talking about the 23-year-old jock who died because he tried to "tough his way" through the flu, I am... displeased.

    inform him of the article. I am curious as to whether or not he is a "tough luck" kind of guy with respect to the flu and fatalities therein.

    Oh, we're going straight to the principal and keeping records of all further communications.

    It's nuclear time.


    5 people marked this as a favorite.

    Fire a full salvo, NH. All tubes are ready and a firing solution is forthcoming.


    3 people marked this as a favorite.

    Well, I don't want the man fired, but considering the sheer number of modern studies that show how massively trying to "tough it out" destroys productivity across departments to the point that most major non-retail corporations now mandate that you take sick time when you're sick, his attitude is... primeval.

    (Global Megacorp, Shiro's company, and NobodysWife's company all send out monthly HR e-mail reminders: "If you are sick, STAY HOME! You're doing us ALL a favor!" Because Americans have been trained that being sick is "weak" and coming to work to spread your germs is "noble".)


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    NobodysHome wrote:

    Some teachers work really hard to give ALL teachers a bad name.

    I've complained about Impus Minor's jock-turned-social-studies instructor before.

    Well, this morning his response to Impus Minor's illness was, "Impus, you can't just take time off from school whenever you feel like it."

    Consider just last week there was a news article talking about the 23-year-old jock who died because he tried to "tough his way" through the flu, I am... displeased.

    Pfff...

    The flu never hurt any one, they said!
    *Eye-roll*
    Except the WHO, who estimates the annual worldwide death-toll of seasonal influenza outbreaks is around 290.000 to 650.000 people.
    In other words, if your feeling sick and you suspect its the flu, you stay at home. If your feeling really sick and you suspect its the flu, you get your ass to the nearest health professional for confirmation, doubly so if your already having any health problems.


    3 people marked this as a favorite.

    Perhaps the jock-teacher should teach a history class. Teaching about the 1918 Spanish Flu Pandemic sounds about right.


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
    NobodysHome wrote:

    Well, I don't want the man fired, but considering the sheer number of modern studies that show how massively trying to "tough it out" destroys productivity across departments to the point that most major non-retail corporations now mandate that you take sick time when you're sick, his attitude is... primeval.

    (Global Megacorp, Shiro's company, and NobodysWife's company all send out monthly HR e-mail reminders: "If you are sick, STAY HOME! You're doing us ALL a favor!" Because Americans have been trained that being sick is "weak" and coming to work to spread your germs is "noble".)

    Alas, the "tough it out" culture permeates the Midwest (I'm pretty sure it's something in the water).


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    I am no stranger to toughing it out myself due to a number of factors, including my cultural background/upbringing and my own pride, and a job with very a wooden attitude with respect to illness. That said, when I'm sick, I'm sick. Take care of me.


    4 people marked this as a favorite.

    NobodysHome's Kitchen:

    NobodysHome: Grr! This can of coconut milk is being recalcitrant! Ah, well, I'll deal with it.
    Impus Minor: What's a recalcitrant can?
    NobodysHome: (Holding up a mangled can and a pair of vice grips) This was.
    Impus Minor: I wonder what it sounds like when a can screams?
    NobodysHome: You just heard it.

    182,001 to 182,050 of 243,786 << first < prev | 3636 | 3637 | 3638 | 3639 | 3640 | 3641 | 3642 | 3643 | 3644 | 3645 | 3646 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.