Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

181,851 to 181,900 of 240,189 << first < prev | 3633 | 3634 | 3635 | 3636 | 3637 | 3638 | 3639 | 3640 | 3641 | 3642 | 3643 | next > last >>

5 people marked this as a favorite.

NobodysHome: Hey, Impus Major! What's that prison game you play?
Impus Major: Prison Architect.
NH: And what was the glitch you used so that you didn't have to pay for the prisoners?
IM: Well, mostly I just killed them all.

A model of kindness and compassion, my boy is.

EDIT: I'm naked. I'm surrounded by dead prisoners. Who am I?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Tom Cruise!


3 people marked this as a favorite.
lynora wrote:
Kidlet went to his first anime club meeting after school today. He says it was fun, so that's good. It's hard for him to join school activities since his schedule is already so packed with martial arts practices, but this works out for him.

i am so very proud.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:

Unconscionable: When you are already charging parents $2000/month in tuition, and then charge an additional 10% surcharge for the mandatory hot lunch program, and then serve the children 1/2 of roasted yams (1g protein), 2-3 steamed broccoli florets (1 more gram), a couple of carrot sticks and an orange wedge.

Yesterday was thin tomato broth with a couple of bits of pasta in it and a roll.
Yes, they go home hungry.

that brings back memories. People believe lots of nonsense about kids needing to eat food proportionate to their size, but forget that they are growing every day. Growing takes a lot of energy. I will never forget when I had a ravenous day as a kid and ate tons of food one night at grandma's - and would NOT wake up the next day. Mom struggled to get me up for school, but I was asleep- snoring deeply. She eventually gave up and let me stay with her. I woke up in time for The Price Is Right, which meand I slept about 11 hours or so. Grandma laughed when I was incredulous, and said i was busy growing while I was sleeping.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:

Ah, it never gets old.

"Impus Minor will not be coming to school today because of doctor's orders concerning spread of the flu."

Deal with THAT, unfeeling pencil-pushers!

...starts on lengthy political tirade about the perversion of "work ethic" into "self-destructive pointless drive to toil mandated by soulless plutocrats", sees flaming bikes, flees...

you should join team chaos.

I think I have never played a paladin before...

Are you... coming on to me?

only if gothbard and lisamarlene are both into it and say its okay.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:

(Yes, I try to supplement. I've taught the children how to make different kinds of bread and we bake every day, and I get whichever parent is on the snack rota for the week to bring us cheese and sunflower butter (we're not allowed to serve nuts) and edamame.

Do I feel complicit? You bet.
Do I dare report it?
No. No I do not.

FIGHT THE POWER! FEED THE KIDS!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

The kids need turkey twizzlers.

The kids are alright


6 people marked this as a favorite.

The Results:

NobodysHome:
- Went as a doctor
- Bought 1980 bullets, 20 oxen, and 5 pounds of food
- Killed everyone else by trying and failing to ford every river
- Made it almost to Fort Boise
- Another river ford killed me off

Impus Major:
- Went as a teacher ("I'm going on 'hard mode', Dad!")
- Bought oxen, bullets, and food
- Paid people to get him across rivers
- Won on his very first try

The moral of the story: Bullets will get you across the west, but it takes money to get you across rivers.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

The Results:

NobodysHome:
- Went as a doctor
- Bought 1980 bullets, 20 oxen, and 5 pounds of food
- Killed everyone else by trying and failing to ford every river
- Made it almost to Fort Boise
- Another river ford killed me off

Impus Major:
- Went as a teacher ("I'm going on 'hard mode', Dad!")
- Bought oxen, bullets, and food
- Paid people to get him across rivers
- Won on his very first try

The moral of the story: Bullets will get you across the west, but it takes money to get you across rivers.

bribery never hurts.


9 people marked this as a favorite.

I had an odd dream today. I was playing DnD as a guest on Critical Role. My character was some kind of unarmed combat master (maybe a monk, I don't know, it was a dream), who I was playing as a pro wrestler. I was fighting a guy in a bar and after executing a series of combat maneuvers reskinned as wrestling moves, I wound up with him in an armbar. In an attempt to intimidate him into surrendering, I said (in my Captain Bloodtusk voice) "You better give up now, buddy, or I'm gonna break your arm in three places. First, right here in this tavern. Then I'll drag you out to the town square and break your arm there. Then I'll haul you off to your parents' house, and the third place I'll break your arm is in your Momma's kitchen." This caused everyone to lose control laughing, including Travis falling out of his chair.

I woke up laughing.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
gran rey de los mono wrote:

I had an odd dream today. I was playing DnD as a guest on Critical Role. My character was some kind of unarmed combat master (maybe a monk, I don't know, it was a dream), who I was playing as a pro wrestler. I was fighting a guy in a bar and after executing a series of combat maneuvers reskinned as wrestling moves, I wound up with him in an armbar. In an attempt to intimidate him into surrendering, I said (in my Captain Bloodtusk voice) "You better give up now, buddy, or I'm gonna break your arm in three places. First, right here in this tavern. Then I'll drag you out to the town square and break your arm there. Then I'll haul you off to your parents' house, and the third place I'll break your arm is in your Momma's kitchen." This caused everyone to lose control laughing, including Travis falling out of his chair.

I woke up laughing.

World Wrestling Entertainment of Golarion, LLC.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The last dream I had was . . . well . . . it was the single most disturbing dream I can recall. It was . . . .

Nevermind.

It was one of those horrific dreams that you feel compelled to discuss with a confidant, but dare not because of its content.

. . . .

Did I just channel some Lovecraft there??!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Jus+ a t@d.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

The last dream I had I made Crab Rangoon.

It tasted terrible.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

So it was a nightmare then.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Hmmmm.

Lovecraft is actually pretty tame, in comparison . . . .

----------

Anyhow.

It looks like I'm gonna be working two jobs, now! I passed the "mirror test" with an employer, and this job will actually provide healthcare coverage after 90 days . . . . And I haven't had medical insurance in almost 4 years . . . .

Wow.

And my SWEU PbP is starting to really pick up steam. Loving it!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

If you look at lovecraft in a historical sense its pretty legit terrifying for its time. Their are plenty of stories that I will a test are still way better written and far more unsettling then most big budget Hollywood movies.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

So A medium sized drink at a fast food restaurant is ridiculous. I'm pretty sure If I would of ordered a large I would of needed a bigger car. I can ration this out for the next week I think.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Evil Kjeldorn wrote:
Just a Mort wrote:
*climbs up a tree*

Ever seen 'Man's Best Friend' Mort?

Lets just say...

Trees don't always save cats

*Hjuk yuk yuk yuk*

No! It's not real!

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

The Results:

NobodysHome:
- Went as a doctor
- Bought 1980 bullets, 20 oxen, and 5 pounds of food
- Killed everyone else by trying and failing to ford every river
- Made it almost to Fort Boise
- Another river ford killed me off

Impus Major:
- Went as a teacher ("I'm going on 'hard mode', Dad!")
- Bought oxen, bullets, and food
- Paid people to get him across rivers
- Won on his very first try

The moral of the story: Bullets will get you across the west, but it takes money to get you across rivers.

Moral of story: Murderhoboing never pays off!


4 people marked this as a favorite.

The kids have been listening to Stephen Fry reading The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy with me in the car, so tonight our Friday night movie was 4/6 parts of the BBC television series.

Teensy Valeros was *very* concerned about "poor Trillian; she doesn't even really have a costume".

Also, he loves Zaphod.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:

The kids have been listening to Stephen Fry reading The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy with me in the car, so tonight our Friday night movie was 4/6 parts of the BBC television series.

Teensy Valeros was *very* concerned about "poor Trillian; she doesn't even really have a costume".

Also, he loves Zaphod.

I remember when an old friend got me the series on a burned CD.

It was awesome...


7 people marked this as a favorite.

Ah, Shiro! You really do live in a land of sunshine and rainbows!

Shiro: So, since Crimson Throne got canceled, we'll do Jade Regent on Saturday, right? Everyone in that game just had this flu!
NobodysHome: I haven't even been able to just sit at my desk at work for 4 hours yet. What makes you think I'd be able to run a massive castle battle for even 3-4 hours?
Shiro: I'll take that as a "maybe"!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Speaking of sunshine and rainbows...


7 people marked this as a favorite.

Optimist (noun): person who, after hearing "f**k off" is happy to have an unplanned trip.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Drejk wrote:
Optimist (noun): person who, after hearing "f**k off" is happy to have an unplanned trip.

Oh, he's not so bad. It's nice to have someone SO enthused about gaming. But considering *I* still consider myself under quarantine (spoiler below), I'd rather just have him bring me some ramen and watch some movies.

Quarantine:

According to NobodysWife, the doctor's instructions were that once Impus Minor's fever stayed below 100 for 24 hours, he could return to school 24 hours after that. She's applying the same logic to me: She doesn't think Thursday's 99.5 was high enough to be a fever.

I disagree. As you get older, your fevers get milder and milder. Case in point: I was sicker than Impus Minor, but my fever peaked at 102.8, while his went to 103.5.

So I would rather protect the public and stay indoors today. Fortunately, I'm stubborn, so I think they'll just run off to Sobo Ramen and bring me back something nommy. Hi was mentioning how much he wanted Sobo, so I'm hoping the three of 'em will go out, get me some food, and come back for some terrible movies.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
Tequila Sunrise wrote:
A maybe not-so-quick question for John, NH, and anyone else with programming skillz: If I had some obscure program written by who-knows-who and I -- a programming layman -- wanted to know which language was used to write it, how would I go about finding out? Because I do.
So before we dive off the deep end, let's ask the most important question: Just how old is the program? If it was written mid-90s or earlier, it was very likely written in what's called a "compiled" language such as C or C++.

Luckily it's not quite that old, 2010 to be exact.

NobodysHome wrote:


"Modern languages" don't use compilers, so you can frequently just use your favorite text editor to open the file, paste the first 50 or so lines of code here, and John, Vankyre, or I (or probably many others) can identify it.

I copied the .dll file to word and uploaded it to my google drive: link. Most of it looks like Matrix code, but the last couple of pages has English characters that look like they may be helpful.

NobodysHome wrote:

The second-most-important question is, "For which operating system was it written?"

MacOS is surprisingly open about letting you poke around in the executables. Windows (surprise surprise) isn't. And Linux, of course, lets you do whatever the heck you want.

Blergh, it was written for Windows.

Thanks for whatever insight you can give me. :) This isn't a life or death thing tho, so no worries if you can't give me anything specific.

In fact, I'm more immediately concerned with the fact my cursor and screen have started independently sliding around horizontally...ARGH! Yay for probably a trip to the Apple store? >:(


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Tiny T-Rex is getting his first professional haircut.

He chose Sport Clips.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

OK. I tried a second run of Oregon Trail, and this time I got through with all 5 people, all 20 oxen, and everything else.

All you need are bullets.

All else is unnecessary.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Tequila Sunrise wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
Tequila Sunrise wrote:
A maybe not-so-quick question for John, NH, and anyone else with programming skillz: If I had some obscure program written by who-knows-who and I -- a programming layman -- wanted to know which language was used to write it, how would I go about finding out? Because I do.
So before we dive off the deep end, let's ask the most important question: Just how old is the program? If it was written mid-90s or earlier, it was very likely written in what's called a "compiled" language such as C or C++.

Luckily it's not quite that old, 2010 to be exact.

NobodysHome wrote:


"Modern languages" don't use compilers, so you can frequently just use your favorite text editor to open the file, paste the first 50 or so lines of code here, and John, Vankyre, or I (or probably many others) can identify it.

I copied the .dll file to word and uploaded it to my google drive: link. Most of it looks like Matrix code, but the last couple of pages has English characters that look like they may be helpful.

NobodysHome wrote:

The second-most-important question is, "For which operating system was it written?"

MacOS is surprisingly open about letting you poke around in the executables. Windows (surprise surprise) isn't. And Linux, of course, lets you do whatever the heck you want.

Blergh, it was written for Windows.

Thanks for whatever insight you can give me. :) This isn't a life or death thing tho, so no worries if you can't give me anything specific.

In fact, I'm more immediately concerned with the fact my cursor and screen have started independently sliding around horizontally...ARGH! Yay for probably a trip to the Apple store? >:(

So from what I can see, it looks like a C derivative, from the line

/home/bob/foo/rxtx-devel/build/../src/termios.c

If it was written in 2010, it wouldn't have been C because they don't let professionals use C. I'd guess C++. As you'll see from my "thinking out loud" below, I slowly realized that even if the base is C/C++, the majority of the code is Java.

John? Your feelings?

EDIT: More hints:
open gnu/io/PortInUseException: GNU is a compiler, usually C/C++ or Java.

Speaking of Java, a LOT of Java is sneaking in, but it's not uncommon to make Java calls from other languages, so that's not changing my initial opinion...

Yeah. The more error messages I see in the code you posted, the more it looks like it's a "wrapped" Java program: Write a program in C++ that makes a bunch of Java calls. It could be native Java, but then that reference to termios.c would be some really antique throwaway code that just happened to make it into the final build..

I see more references to .c files, but overall Java-style error messages. The final GNU references include mentions of compiled C files.

So it was either pure Java compiled using GNU and GNU itself is written in C, or it's a C/C++ wrapper of Java code.

But the majority of the code in that program is most likely Java.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

Our first sparring session with sharp swords happened this afternoon. We are both alive and still have all our potentially detachable bits, so we'll count that as a win.

Also, fighting with sharp tulwars and shields is ridiculously enjoyable.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

So, it's kinda a good news, bad news sort of day.
Good news! I'm feeling much better and seem to be mostly over the virus that has made my week so miserable.
Bad news! I subluxated (it's like a dislocation, but not a total dislocation) my hip while I was sleeping, which means that it sat out of place for hours. And the longer it sits before it gets popped back where it goes, the more it hurts. So I kinda can't walk. Or at least not very well. And it really, really hurts.
Good news! Since I can't walk I have time on my own to update my PBP!
Bad news! Because I had to ask my husband to rearrange his whole day to take the kidlet to all of his activities. Which means he will have less time for fun the rest of the weekend as he was going to take care of work stuff while we were gone.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Using the cast iron teapot I got for Christmas. It does a good job of holding heat, which is awesome as I have a regrettable tendency to wander away after I make tea and then come back once it's gone cold. :)


3 people marked this as a favorite.
lynora wrote:

So, it's kinda a good news, bad news sort of day.

Good news! I'm feeling much better and seem to be mostly over the virus that has made my week so miserable.
Bad news! I subluxated (it's like a dislocation, but not a total dislocation) my hip while I was sleeping, which means that it sat out of place for hours. And the longer it sits before it gets popped back where it goes, the more it hurts. So I kinda can't walk. Or at least not very well. And it really, really hurts.
Good news! Since I can't walk I have time on my own to update my PBP!
Bad news! Because I had to ask my husband to rearrange his whole day to take the kidlet to all of his activities. Which means he will have less time for fun the rest of the weekend as he was going to take care of work stuff while we were gone.

sets aside chamber for making lynora faster, stronger, better in abscondi-cave


1 person marked this as a favorite.
lynora wrote:
Using the cast iron teapot I got for Christmas. It does a good job of holding heat, which is awesome as I have a regrettable tendency to wander away after I make tea and then come back once it's gone cold. :)

Cast iron teapot sounds like a good idea.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Everything is going to go boom.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Playing Neverwinter Nights. A very good game, apart from the fact that a) the rapiers are curved and b), the curved rapiers have irrelevant spiky bits on.

This makes me sad.


7 people marked this as a favorite.

The space and science museum had a scribble-bot building station today. My daughter spent over an hour tinkering with her design, was heartbroken when she couldn't take it home, and when her hair got caught in the motor, *CHOSE TO CUT A LOCK OF HER HAIR RATHER THAN DISASSEMBLE IT*. This. Does. Not. Happen. Now she's begging me to go to the electronic bits store to buy motors and wires and... things. So she can build more at home.
I feel ridiculously out of my depth.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Limeylongears wrote:

Playing Neverwinter Nights. A very good game, apart from the fact that a) the rapiers are curved and b), the curved rapiers have irrelevant spiky bits on.

This makes me sad.

I recall being disappointed with those rapiers too. Anyway that was a legacy issue - rapier was pictured as a some sort of eastern saber derivative in Player's Handbook for 3rd edition...

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Limeylongears wrote:

Playing Neverwinter Nights. A very good game, apart from the fact that a) the rapiers are curved and b), the curved rapiers have irrelevant spiky bits on.

This makes me sad.

Yeah nobody likes the default rapier appearances. Almost all the rapiers on our NWN server use custom appearances that give them appropriately straight, thin blades.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I've got snuffles now. Hope it doesn't get worse.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I could get used to this whole over forty degrees we've had.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:

The space and science museum had a scribble-bot building station today. My daughter spent over an hour tinkering with her design, was heartbroken when she couldn't take it home, and when her hair got caught in the motor, *CHOSE TO CUT A LOCK OF HER HAIR RATHER THAN DISASSEMBLE IT*. This. Does. Not. Happen. Now she's begging me to go to the electronic bits store to buy motors and wires and... things. So she can build more at home.

I feel ridiculously out of my depth.

I wondered why he didnt exist as a little boy. Maybe after you take her to the movie, she will build it, and I will die happy!

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

So the girl scouts have a thing where you can order cookies online now.

And my niece just so happens to be in girl scouts.

Cooooooookiiiiiieeeeessss.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

eyes package of cookies

...if I open it, I'm going to pretend I can't read the serving suggestion.

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

The link in case anyone would like to order.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Orthos wrote:

So the girl scouts have a thing where you can order cookies online now.

And my niece just so happens to be in girl scouts.

Cooooooookiiiiiieeeeessss.

how...how much can I buy at once?

Id kill a man for dosidos. And samoas.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:

eyes package of cookies

...if I open it, I'm going to pretend I can't read the serving suggestion.

It's just a suggestion. You don't have to follow it.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

This ass does not need my idea of a proper serving suggestion for Samoas.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:
This ass does not need my idea of a proper serving suggestion for Samoas.

i must disagree.

181,851 to 181,900 of 240,189 << first < prev | 3633 | 3634 | 3635 | 3636 | 3637 | 3638 | 3639 | 3640 | 3641 | 3642 | 3643 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.