Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

177,301 to 177,350 of 239,992 << first < prev | 3542 | 3543 | 3544 | 3545 | 3546 | 3547 | 3548 | 3549 | 3550 | 3551 | 3552 | next > last >>

2 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
as a cyclist, i question your full stop, as most drivers do a rolling stop where cyclists are concerned, but i know you are a lawful sort, so if you say you full stopped, I believe you. He should have stopped. As a cyclist I LOVE all way, full stops.

So... just curious: Your opinion is that if a driver does a rolling stop instead of a full stop, then the cyclist who arrives after the car still has the right to blow through their stop sign entirely?

It's just an interesting distinction. I was there first by at least a couple of seconds. The cyclist ignored the Stop sign completely. I don't see how my full vs. rolling stop determines whether or not it's my fault.

if you do a rolling stop and I am on a bike, I am assuming you aren't stopping and being an a~*%~&#. I always full stop at stop signs because they are the ONLY time I am treated like a vehicle and given the respect I deserve.

So no, no rolling stops.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Yes to nudity, however.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
TriOmegaZero wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:

monty python- several bits that can be done in several tones of voice.

Princess bride- "inconceivable" shouted at the top of ones lungs.

The former is interesting. The latter is annoying.

Princess Bride - serveral bits of varying tones of voice, such as "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means" and "You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you." "You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die."

Monty Python - NI! NI! NI! NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!! in a loud high pitched voice.

I wonder what the actual problem is....

How dare you bring logic into this.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:

As a pedestrian, I've felt in more danger from cyclists who think themselves above traffic law than from drivers.

There's a nature trail near my parents' place where I'd occasionally walk, and there's a very clear 2-way stop sign at an intersection near it. Multiple occasions I would have to scramble aside as a cyclist who had the stop sign when I did not simply blew through it.

Oh, or the cyclists who ignore the bike lane clearly painted on the roadside to use the full car lane or sidewalk...and I don't mean a shoulder. I mean a full-on bike lane with a little white-painted bike on it.

Around here you have to forgive cyclists for that because the bike lane is always clogged with joggers, people pushing strollers or shopping carts, and other nonsense. We have the Ohlone trail that has two paths: One clearly demarcated for bicycles, the other for pedestrians and joggers, complete with "fitness stations" along the foot path.

Doesn't matter. The bike path is wider and straighter, so trying to ride your bike along it is agony. AND you get to get yelled at by pedestrians for going too fast near them. On the bikes-only path.


Neat Question, but I feel it's poorly framed in terms of what is actually a debate.

(Deadlock isn't my favorite series from GT, but it's interesting, nonetheless.)


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I make full stops with my car at stop signs.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I saw that one yesterday. Admittedly though I'm biased, as hearing the words "git gud" initiates an inferno of rage that can only be pacified with an application of one fist to the speakers nostril region.


6 people marked this as a favorite.

There is a special level of hell reserved for joggers who don't use the sidewalk and people who talk at the theatre. Seriously, we put the bike lane in to make them safe from cars and pedestrians safe from them. grumble

Shadow Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:
I make full stops with my car at stop signs.

Seconded. Rolling stops - or as my parents call them, "oozes" - annoy the daylights out of me. Stop means stop.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

My driver's ed teacher called them California stops.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:
My driver's ed teacher called them California stops.

Your driver's ed teacher was wise. If you come to a complete stop at every stop around here, you will get rear-ended. In our entire state, it's much safer to do rolling stops. So everyone kind of expects/relies on them.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:

no problem with quote slinging, as long as it is done in a normal tone of voice and not every 3 seconds.

At least Monty python has an actual bit or 3. Princess bride had people leaping out from hiding screaming "inconceivable" at the top of their lungs.

And here is where the weirdness comes in.

It's like you've never had the same events happening with 'Holy Grail, and that is something I can't fathom.

... do you even D&D, bro?

Sorry, I had to.

monty python- several bits that can be done in several tones of voice.

Princess bride- "inconceivable" shouted at the top of ones lungs.

The former is interesting. The latter is annoying.

Yeah, you and I have clearly vastly, vastly, vastly different sets of experiences.

Also, you missed what I was saying: MPQftHG can, in fact, have lines shouted at the top of your lungs ad infinitum - "Ni!" or "Shrubbery!" or what-have-you. Again, I am not denying your specific experience, but rather positing that our two experiences are so divergent as to be confusingly so. I've had far more "annoying" blares of QftHG than PB - most people who do the "inconceivable" thing are more likely to mention, "My name is Inigo Montoya - you killed my father, prepare to die!" a bajillion times than just the word "inconceivable" - and, even more commonly, someone will bring up, "That word. You keep saying it. I do not think it means what you think it means." (or some variance thereof).

I get that your specific experience soured you (that seems to happen a lot), but am expressing my (false and intentionally exaggerated) confusion for the purpose of contrast, when, compared to my (real) experience, it is not PB that gets aggressively shouted, because the lines from said film are never made aggressively against the audience (and, in fact, are made in tones the audience typically finds quite pleasing), whereas the joke in QftHG is all on the audience, and aggressively so (even sometimes playing audio tricks such as unpleasant and low-quality screeching sound - "unpleasant" by default, but that works in the context of a joke on the audience and in-film). Most MP sketches are that way.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Central Illinois is fairly unkind to cyclists. They've been putting bike lanes in the university towns, but they don't do it well. For instance, they don't actually mark all of them with striping and it is, in fact, just about a foot or two of space away from the curb and not separated from the cars in any way on an otherwise major artery of traffic. There's no room for the bus to pass the cyclist without leaving the lane, and there's too much traffic for the bus to leave the lane.

Several years ago I got clipped by an SUV while I was making a left turn. Knocked me off the bike while I was in the center turn lane waiting for my opening. SUV just kept on going.

EDIT: Typos annoy me.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

EDIT: Sorry. I know we've discussed this before, and I know full well it's different in the downtown of a major city. But in 21 years of commuting by bicycle, the majority of bicyclist-car interactions occurred because the bicyclist ignored the car's right-of-way by blowing through a stop sign or red light,

Not just no, but f@%% no.

You do that in New York, you are getting hit.

You will probably die. There may be a ghost bike for you. There may not be one.

Quote:
or ignored the fact that the car was signalling right and passed it on the right anyway

YOU CANNOT PASS A CAR ON THE LEFT HAND SIDE IN NEW YORK, YOU WILL BE TICKETED.

The police dont care that you saved your life doing so. They will probably ignore it 4 days out of 5, but if they need to meet their quota, officer friendly is going to bodily tackle you to get you off that bike if necessary. It is why I often(not always, i use bike lanes wherever possible with the flow of traffic)ride opposing traffic, I can see everybody, they can see me, and I can kick a door shut as opposed to being hit off of my bike. Being almost hit by someone making a right turn who swears they have the right of way (they do not) gets old after a while.

Quote:
And as a cyclist I suffered the consequences. Cars cutting me off, honking at me, or even a Mercedes that intentionally ran me off the road and into a ditch, just because the driver had had previous negative experiences with cyclists. I'd just like cyclists around here to be WAAAAY more mindful of the laws of right-of-way. That car stopped at that Stop sign? That's not your green light to blow through your Stop sign in the hopes of beating it through the intersection...

And an even bigger F%&* NO to "paying consequences" for other peoples actions. That doesnt fly with me in the slightest. Substitute race for cyclist and you'll understand why I feel that way. I am a firm believer in people owning their own s&$@ty actions as individuals, not a supposedly telepathically connected hive mind of a group.

I would be incensed if someone killed you on your bike because they had a bad experience with cyclists in the past. That doesn't make what they do to you okay, and you should not excuse that mindset.

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I do not have kind views regarding cyclists of the non-motorized variety, as many here know. So I'll refrain from contributing more directly to that conversation. It shan't end well if I did.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:

Central Illinois is fairly unkind to cyclists. They've been putting bike lanes in the university towns, but they don't do it well. For instance, they don't actually mark all of them with striping and it is, in fact, just about a foot or two of space away from the curb and not separated from the cars in any way on an otherwise major artery of traffic. There's no room for the bus to pass the cyclist without leaving the lane, and there's too much traffic for the bus to leave the lane.

Several years ago I got clipped by an SUV while I was making a left turn. Knocked me off the bike while I was in the center turn lane waiting for my opening. SUV just kept on going.

EDIT: Typos annoy me.

someone i love is on central Illinois. She wants out, and I hope she gets out one day.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Orthos wrote:
I do not have kind views regarding cyclists of the non-motorized variety, as many here know. So I'll refrain from contributing more directly to that conversation. It shan't end well if I did.

LET US DO BATTLE ORTHOS!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
Vanykrye wrote:

Central Illinois is fairly unkind to cyclists. They've been putting bike lanes in the university towns, but they don't do it well. For instance, they don't actually mark all of them with striping and it is, in fact, just about a foot or two of space away from the curb and not separated from the cars in any way on an otherwise major artery of traffic. There's no room for the bus to pass the cyclist without leaving the lane, and there's too much traffic for the bus to leave the lane.

Several years ago I got clipped by an SUV while I was making a left turn. Knocked me off the bike while I was in the center turn lane waiting for my opening. SUV just kept on going.

EDIT: Typos annoy me.

someone i love is on central Illinois. She wants out, and I hope she gets out one day.

Not uncommon. Many want out. Up until very recently I was actively looking for jobs out of state, but Aiymi just started a new job, and it will likely be the best job she's ever had, so I don't want to screw that up for her. And there's other reasons, like aging parents.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
Orthos wrote:
I do not have kind views regarding cyclists of the non-motorized variety, as many here know. So I'll refrain from contributing more directly to that conversation. It shan't end well if I did.
LET US DO BATTLE ORTHOS!

Kay.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
Scintillae wrote:
My driver's ed teacher called them California stops.

Your driver's ed teacher was wise. If you come to a complete stop at every stop around here, you will get rear-ended. In our entire state, it's much safer to do rolling stops. So everyone kind of expects/relies on them.

Yeah I believe you've mentioned this before. It's been on my "list of reasons to never visit CA" for some time.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

Children are actually coming in for help on their essays. They do care!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Lance Bombardier Orthos wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Orthos wrote:
I do not have kind views regarding cyclists of the non-motorized variety, as many here know. So I'll refrain from contributing more directly to that conversation. It shan't end well if I did.
LET US DO BATTLE ORTHOS!
Kay.

i could easily see you just pressing the "destroy everything" button while stifling a yawn...


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:
Children are actually coming in for help on their essays. They do care!

ITS A CHANUKKAH MIRACLE


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Granted, I think it's because since I called it their semester final due to being their last grade, they think it's worth about a letter grade...despite me giving them a rubric with the point values that shows it is not.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

...I'll take what I can get.

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
Lance Bombardier Orthos wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Orthos wrote:
I do not have kind views regarding cyclists of the non-motorized variety, as many here know. So I'll refrain from contributing more directly to that conversation. It shan't end well if I did.
LET US DO BATTLE ORTHOS!
Kay.
i could easily see you just pressing the "destroy everything" button while stifling a yawn...

Overkill is underrated.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
Lance Bombardier Orthos wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Orthos wrote:
I do not have kind views regarding cyclists of the non-motorized variety, as many here know. So I'll refrain from contributing more directly to that conversation. It shan't end well if I did.
LET US DO BATTLE ORTHOS!
Kay.
i could easily see you just pressing the "destroy everything" button while stifling a yawn...

He better not. That is my button, and I will cut him.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dark Lord Scintillatrix wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Lance Bombardier Orthos wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Orthos wrote:
I do not have kind views regarding cyclists of the non-motorized variety, as many here know. So I'll refrain from contributing more directly to that conversation. It shan't end well if I did.
LET US DO BATTLE ORTHOS!
Kay.
i could easily see you just pressing the "destroy everything" button while stifling a yawn...
He better not. That is my button, and I will cut him.

I'll respawn like I always do =)


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I was promised snow for today.

They even put the beet brine on the roads, anticipating snow.

So, where's the g@*#%#n f!+@ing snow!!!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Orthos, Recurring Evil Henchman wrote:
Dark Lord Scintillatrix wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Lance Bombardier Orthos wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Orthos wrote:
I do not have kind views regarding cyclists of the non-motorized variety, as many here know. So I'll refrain from contributing more directly to that conversation. It shan't end well if I did.
LET US DO BATTLE ORTHOS!
Kay.
i could easily see you just pressing the "destroy everything" button while stifling a yawn...
He better not. That is my button, and I will cut him.
I'll respawn like I always do =)

Well, saves me time on the hiring process, I suppose.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Cap'n Yesterdays Winter Revenge wrote:

I was promised snow for today.

They even put the beet brine on the roads, anticipating snow.

So, where's the g%+*@~n f&%!ing snow!!!

We haven't gotten the snow yet either. Flurries at most.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I even have the harness ready for the sled.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

How the heck does Mississippi/Alabama/Georgia get 6 inches of snow and we get jack?


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:
How the heck does Mississippi/Alabama/Georgia get 6 inches of snow and we get jack?

poor aim on my part.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
Vanykrye wrote:
How the heck does Mississippi/Alabama/Georgia get 6 inches of snow and we get jack?
poor aim on my part.

See, this is where some math would do some good in your life.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Triangulating proper aim. It's mathically delicious!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Made it to the school. Early release because the roads are becoming impassable due to peedicted blizzard hitting at predicted time and the school realizing oh s$#% we should have cancelled today. >.<
Here’s hoping we make it home in one piece. It’s a long drive on icy roads.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

We have a lot of rolling stops here too, but only for part of the year. Cause ice. No one wants to get stuck.
And we also have our share of badly behaved cyclists, but just as many badly behaved drivers (dude, you’re in a car get out of the bike lane), but nothing compares with the idiot pedestrians. Nothing. Dashing out into traffic always a bad idea, mmmkay?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Cap'n Yesterdays Winter Revenge wrote:

I was promised snow for today.

They even put the beet brine on the roads, anticipating snow.

So, where's the g+~+$!n f@@%ing snow!!!

We have it. So very much of it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:
How the heck does Mississippi/Alabama/Georgia get 6 inches of snow and we get jack?

Cheese is falling from the sky?

Cheese and Bourbon are falling from the sky?

Cheese, Bourbon, things for lifting up cars and Ozzy Osbourne's son are all falling from the sky?

Why are you complaining?


5 people marked this as a favorite.

...and I'm watching a heated argument about the sequence of milk and cereal unfold between a small group of my children.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Never a dull moment.


6 people marked this as a favorite.

Update: I have learned that putting the milk into the bowl before cereal is a guaranteed identifier of communist leanings.

When questioned further about how their essays were coming along, there was less information forthcoming.

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Bizarro Freehold wrote:
TriOmegaZero wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:

monty python- several bits that can be done in several tones of voice.

Princess bride- "inconceivable" shouted at the top of ones lungs.

The former is interesting. The latter is annoying.

Princess Bride - serveral bits of varying tones of voice, such as "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means" and "You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you." "You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die."

Monty Python - NI! NI! NI! NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!! in a loud high pitched voice.

I wonder what the actual problem is....

How dare you bring logic into this.

All logic circuits online.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Limeylongears wrote:
Vanykrye wrote:
How the heck does Mississippi/Alabama/Georgia get 6 inches of snow and we get jack?

Cheese is falling from the sky?

Cheese and Bourbon are falling from the sky?

Cheese, Bourbon, things for lifting up cars and Ozzy Osbourne's son are all falling from the sky?

Why are you complaining?

Certain things are natural law. Heat and humidity in the summer. Cold, snow, and ice in the winter. No snow, ice, and freezing cold? Too many mosquitoes and other vile insects during the hot and humid summers, just spreading West Nile and other fun.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

Made it home safely. Took twice as long as the drive usuallly does. But we are home. I need some freaking chocolate.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:

And that's kind of what I mean. There is a limit to how far something can spread - The Princess Bride is a film that can more or less working "as intended" to a larger audience, and, thus, should be shown, because it would work. On the other hand, 'Holy Grail does... not always go over so well. Kind of similar to Mulan Rogue, really - another phenomenal film that feels like it should be a "must see" but functionally is not and cannot be.

* also others

I watched Mulan Rogue...wait! It's Moulin Rouge, Tac! Anyhow, I watched it just for Your Song.

I regret that musicals are just not my thing. I still like Ewin McGregor's rendition though. And Lady Marmalade. So fun!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

And economics notes are done for the year. They get the next two days to review/catch up, then final on Monday.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I have lost track of how many times I had to utter the phrase "goods and services."


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Lance Bombardier Orthos wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Lance Bombardier Orthos wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Orthos wrote:
I do not have kind views regarding cyclists of the non-motorized variety, as many here know. So I'll refrain from contributing more directly to that conversation. It shan't end well if I did.
LET US DO BATTLE ORTHOS!
Kay.
i could easily see you just pressing the "destroy everything" button while stifling a yawn...
Overkill is underrated.

There is no "overkill." There is only "open fire" and "reload."

177,301 to 177,350 of 239,992 << first < prev | 3542 | 3543 | 3544 | 3545 | 3546 | 3547 | 3548 | 3549 | 3550 | 3551 | 3552 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.