Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

175,201 to 175,250 of 238,716 << first < prev | 3500 | 3501 | 3502 | 3503 | 3504 | 3505 | 3506 | 3507 | 3508 | 3509 | 3510 | next > last >>

2 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

On the other hand, I tried yet again to make a decent impromptu sauce to go with dinner. This time I found some dried apricots, so I flambeed them in marsala and brandy, added a bunch of sugar, boiled it all down, added half a stick of butter...

...and Impus Major declared it "awesome". And he is hard to please!

Success!! After only 38 years of trying!!!

Gratz!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Naked food? I can go for that!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:

Dark Matter S2E12 was AWESOME, right up until the last moment and now I'm so daggum maaaaaaaaad.

(The rest of the episode was pure awesome, though.)

I’m so bummed the show got cancelled. :(


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Got the DLC on sale for black friday for X-com. It really does crash fairly often. At least it saves frequently so its not a huge problem I just have to load it back up. whatever part added the boss battles however I could go without They are so Overpowered.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Nobody's home wrote:
So where, exactly, on this stat block do I find Silent Spell and Still Spell? Nowhere?

It gets worse. Silent and still spell do nothing RAW

Try spell song or eschew materials+still spell + secret signs

The Exchange

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Personally I'd just skip the whole charm person part and start trying to Murderhobo the group. If they really need to get the PCs on their side tell a sob story...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:
St. Louis style. Imo's is the best; screw both y'all's coasts.

Imo's is good (at least I remember it as being good, I haven't had it for about 13 years), but I also really like Monical's. I won't say it's the best pizza, but if you like a thin, crispy crust (which I do), then Monical's is a good choice.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Just a Mort wrote:
Nobody's home wrote:
So where, exactly, on this stat block do I find Silent Spell and Still Spell? Nowhere?

It gets worse. Silent and still spell do nothing RAW

Try spell song or eschew materials+still spell + secret signs

Oh, there's a fantastic thread around here somewhere detailing exactly how many feats and skills you have to use to cast a spell without anyone noticing. It's... impressive.

And yet in every AP, they always assume that the bad guys can somehow cast spells without the party noticing.

It's probably my second-biggest overall complaint of all the AP writing. (The first being added rule sets that never work out OK. Caravan rules? Fleet battles? Army battles? Faction points? We had to throw 'em all out.)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Infinity Server wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Am I the only one that finds "Cyber Monday" a really, really stupid name for a sales holiday?

Be quiet and bow down to your robot overlords of spending!

(I'm sure CY would have made an alias for this sort of thing, but meh, i've got a kids' game to prep for...)

Dave is currently unavailable, sir.

Dave is busy trying to get me to do things that I can't do.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Yeah, gimme a plain and simple dungeon crawl all day long…I told my party I can’t run anything complicated in an intrigue sense. That means no Curse of Crimson Throne, Hells Rebels, Hell’s Vengeance, Council of Thieves.

I refuse to run Kingmaker as its an accounting class in disguise.

RP a few NPCs – I can do a fairly decent job about it actually. At least you’d have to give me points for trying.

RP an entire town. Nadda, no sorry I can’t. And I know I can’t. I can’t keep all their personalities separate.

You see, I pride myself in attention to details. So when you start adding up the number of NPCs…I really can’t store how they feel in my head.

I refuse to run Way of the Wicked because I don’t want to see how the party does unspeakably vile things to NPCs.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
TriOmegaZero wrote:
We do Rosati's, which the internet tells me is Chicago style. But we do their thin crust, so I imagine we are heathens to everyone. (They make bombing chicken tenders tho.)

The one time I had Rosati's pizza, I was unimpressed so I haven't had it again. Nor have I tried any of their other food.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

~LAUGHTER~


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Cowboy Bebop cosplay.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Bone cancer


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Lilith - Borderlands - Cosplay.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Nice cosplay costumes.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

You know what I never noticed until just now. That the martial weapon proficiency feat is for one particular weapon each time you take it. I always thought it was take MWP and you were prof with the group. I knew exotic worked that way. Threw me off.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rawr! wrote:

By the way, it's that time of year again! :D

Already?!

Haven't we had one of those recently?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Just a Mort wrote:
Nobody's home wrote:
So where, exactly, on this stat block do I find Silent Spell and Still Spell? Nowhere?

It gets worse. Silent and still spell do nothing RAW

Try spell song or eschew materials+still spell + secret signs

They do nothing to hide spell from being observed during casting or prevent AoO. They do a lot to cast spells while silenced/unable to use your hands.

Apparently, the D&D designers had a lot of magical animesque displays for spellcasting in mind when they wrote the game, except they forgot to tell everyone else...


3 people marked this as a favorite.

In a chat for our incoming Star Trek game I became subject to gossip between other players and GM, who described me as "good gm and good player", though one my many-year co-player and player in my defunct Pathfinder game described me as "strange (or weird, depending on translation) person but good GM".


Drejk wrote:
Just a Mort wrote:
Nobody's home wrote:
So where, exactly, on this stat block do I find Silent Spell and Still Spell? Nowhere?

It gets worse. Silent and still spell do nothing RAW

Try spell song or eschew materials+still spell + secret signs

They do nothing to hide spell from being observed during casting or prevent AoO. They do a lot to cast spells while silenced/unable to use your hands.

Apparently, the D&D designers had a lot of magical animesque displays for spellcasting in mind when they wrote the game, except they forgot to tell everyone else...

You all prooooooobably know this already, but it's pretty explicitly Paizo who changed the actual rules from 3.X - it's a change I am not really fond of, as the way it's implemented it feels like a quiet (hidden) attempt at "balancing" martial and casters and... it's not helpful, and just unbalances casters from casters (making any illusions except "solid" illusions worthless when cast in visible range, which harms their utility at all, because, by the time you get enough feats to secret-cast the DCs are all lousy anyway; making most enchantment spells difficult to use in any reasonable manner; invalidating many AP- and other moments), and it's here when I realize I'm rambling.

Point is, I actually think the design could be really cool, but the system wasn't built with that in mind from the beginning.

Metamagic really needs to be retooled to function well.

... so do martial classes. As an interesting note, martials have gotten muuuuuuuuuuch better, of late, but it's frustrating to have to crawl through several books to get something more balanced. It's one of the reasons I'd love it if Paizo made a new Core book - same rules, much better layout, different arrangement/selection of "Core" classes to better reflect the direction Paizo has gone, more clarification on the differences between setting and generic material (probably by side-bars).

... and rambling, again. >.>

I can stop any time, I swear!

*cough*


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

LOL. Popped online to rant again on how AP writers just don't seem to understand the simple rule that spellcasting makes NOISE, and got to read Just A Mort's brief essay on the subject of PFS, RAWyering, etc.

I don't mind house rules as long as they make sense, are consistent, and apply to both sides.

When an AP writes, "The bad guys surreptitiously cast Charm Person at the dinner table, hoping to lure the PCs to their cause," you want to track down the AP writer, beat him or her with a rolled-up copy of said AP book, and force them to read that whole part about verbal and somatic spell components again, before asking, "So where, exactly, on this stat block do I find Silent Spell and Still Spell? Nowhere? So my bad guy is at the dinner table, wildly moving his hands in his lap and moaning loudly in an arcane language. Yeah, THAT'S going to go over well..."

charm person is one of the most divisive spells in the game. I only have creatures who have it as a spell like ability cast it regularly.

I also houserule silent and still spell heavily, I have had players take issue with how it's written, and if they stop the game to complain, then we need to discuss things out of game.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Its hilarious that after this discussion the dungeons and dragons episode of teen titans go came on.

Its almost essentially the same argument that comes up in games sometimes. Great argument against rules lawyering, but since the show is silly, it gets a bit lost. But I always keep that episode in mind when tempers rise at the table.

Also it has a pretty b$%+*in song.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Crookshanks has been busy turning our dog into an Instagram star.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

So, it's November 28th and currently 50 degrees out.

It ain't right, but we'll take it.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Syrus Terrigan wrote:

I have no frame of reference for that, Orthos . . . .

But I'm scared for you, man! :)

*sigh*
----------
Yeah, I grabbed onto the EU content and ran with it just as soon as I read Heir to the Empire. Better characters, better conflicts, better superweapons.

As long as I'm alive, the SWEU will live on!

I like them both. I am happy to exist in a universe that offers both.

Just as long as you don't try to tell me the prequels were good, I think we can coexist. =)

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I think for me it comes down to the older I get, the less I value the raw fact of originality.

Id rather have a well-done copy, especially one that improves on the thing it's copying in some way, than a fully-original product that isn't as well made.

"It's not who did it first, it's who did it best."

That and again the older I get, the more I see how even the original things aren't that original. Everything has been done, new works are just doing it with slight differences of context, method, appearance, etc.

So yeah, something being a copy or retread does not bother me at all, as long as the copy is decent.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Orthos wrote:

I think for me it comes down to the older I get, the less I value the raw fact of originality.

Id rather have a well-done copy, especially one that improves on the thing it's copying in some way, than a fully-original product that isn't as well made.

"It's not who did it first, it's who did it best."

That and again the older I get, the more I see how even the original things aren't that original. Everything has been done, new works are just doing it with slight differences of context, method, appearance, etc.

So yeah, something being a copy or retread does not bother me at all, as long as the copy is decent.

once agsin, this is the opposite of how i feel.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Nasuverse super original.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Orthos wrote:

I think for me it comes down to the older I get, the less I value the raw fact of originality.

Id rather have a well-done copy, especially one that improves on the thing it's copying in some way, than a fully-original product that isn't as well made.

"It's not who did it first, it's who did it best."

That and again the older I get, the more I see how even the original things aren't that original. Everything has been done, new works are just doing it with slight differences of context, method, appearance, etc.

So yeah, something being a copy or retread does not bother me at all, as long as the copy is decent.

Hugs Orthos, pressing his face into Scarlett Johansson's bosom.

You, you are my new favorite!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Orthos wrote:

I think for me it comes down to the older I get, the less I value the raw fact of originality.

Id rather have a well-done copy, especially one that improves on the thing it's copying in some way, than a fully-original product that isn't as well made.

"It's not who did it first, it's who did it best."

That and again the older I get, the more I see how even the original things aren't that original. Everything has been done, new works are just doing it with slight differences of context, method, appearance, etc.

So yeah, something being a copy or retread does not bother me at all, as long as the copy is decent.

While I tend to agree with this, I think there is room for both.

Originality (to some extent) needs to happen, but it's often not as original as it seems (being influenced by other things that actually exist in some manner). The important thing, though, is when it is original to the person who receives it. It's novelty, and it can expand the way you think about things. Or it can be lousy and turn you off of that thing.

That said, if something is unoriginal, but well done, that's a good thing.

If something is original and well done, that is also a good thing.

If something is derivative and poorly done, that's is a bad thing.

If something is original and poorly done, that is a bad thing.

So... both ways, really.

But originality is often given the only credit, when, in truth, it's mostly creativity, regardless of originality (though originality can be quite nice).


1 person marked this as a favorite.
The Whedonverse wrote:
Orthos wrote:

I think for me it comes down to the older I get, the less I value the raw fact of originality.

Id rather have a well-done copy, especially one that improves on the thing it's copying in some way, than a fully-original product that isn't as well made.

"It's not who did it first, it's who did it best."

That and again the older I get, the more I see how even the original things aren't that original. Everything has been done, new works are just doing it with slight differences of context, method, appearance, etc.

So yeah, something being a copy or retread does not bother me at all, as long as the copy is decent.

Hugs Orthos, pressing his face into Scarlett Johansson's bosom.

You, you are my new favorite!

WHEDOOOOOOOOOON!!

no wait.

ORTHOOOOOOOOOS!!!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

An example of taking something already made and making it better, or at least as good as the original.

Fargo, the TV show (which is f#$$ing awesome and super affordable on DVD).


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Wow... Its been a bit... I've been busy... Yeah that's my excuse...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Okay, TL, put me down for paladin and then cloistered cleric archetype. I don't know what PrC I'd pick -- maybe Hellknight?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Sometimes I just love "my beer" snobbery.

We had a player who briefly joined us a couple of years ago. His beer of preference was Stella Artois, and since he knew we didn't normally stock it, he brought his own. After he quit, one bottle was left. And that bottle has cursed us for the last TWO YEARS.

When gamers come over, I put it in the fridge. They will not touch it. Even when we have no other beers in the house, no one will drink that beer. So I'm finally just dumping it because it's reached the point of, "This is too stupid to continue."

But watching a Stella Artois sit undrunk for 2+ years makes me wonder: Is it really that truly bad?

EDIT: In other amusing news, I normally don't care for wireless anything, but when I inherited a wireless headset from my colleague who left Global Megacorporation, it was love at first use: It's lightweight, has an amazing range (40'+, so I can be in the back yard while still in my meeting), and a great battery life (over 90 minutes). Unfortunately, my KVM switch doesn't work with it, so I am constantly switching it between my two computers (work and home). I figured I'd just buy a second one.

It turns out there's a reason it's so nice: It's a $250 headset!!!

Thank you, Global Megacorporation!

But heck it I'm going to buy a second. I'll just find a switch that works with it.


Orthos wrote:

I like them both. I am happy to exist in a universe that offers both.

Just as long as you don't try to tell me the prequels were good, I think we can coexist. =)

1) The BadPeople product has been a *massive* letdown for me.

Spoiler:
Zero depth. MOARBIGGERSFX quit being a selling point for me after I saw Independence Day in the theater (1996?). And the only *possible* nod to EU content in 'So-Called Seven' is the superweapon's power source -- and even *then* it doesn't need to have any Rakatan connections: the whole blasted film was merely a samethingevent with questions of scale ("How do we power a doomplanet?" . . . . "Good question. Hmmm" . . . . "Well, it's gotta be big, I guess . . . So what's bigger than a planet?"). I've heard speculation that Luke is *on* Lehon -- which begs a pile of questions about data storage, galactic history ret-cons needed before the prequels, . . .

SIDEBAR: Yes, they were bad, horrible, in fact -- George Lucas was in charge! Still better than "Seven". All three of 'em.

. . . and just whatthephyook the Rebel Alliance did to squander the victory at Endor ("Yep. They changed the name a cupple times, yuh . . . . But I bin wit 'em fer goin' on fawty-sumthin' yurrs. We jus' nevah quit runnin'. S'why we's still hanging out in secret bases what smells like a Hutt's di-gestive track, and whatever set o' other guys seems t' have all the good guns . . . . Mmmm-hmmmm. You got any french-fried pertaters n' sum musterd?").

*deep breath*

Spoiler:
2) At least some effort was made with Pathfinder Class Whole Number. I'll give 'em that. Even then, though, you've got still more questions left dangling. [Redacted for Time]

----------

Boiled down: George Lucas took a dump on fans in myriad ways over the years, but the biggest turd of all (it was close, though -- cap knows who I'm talkin' about!) was in selling out to that megacorporation. And if I were to follow along with copyrights and licensing agreements without all this fuss, I'd still have to scrap every part of this mythos that was released after 1983. And give it all up for a poorly-done story whose parallels are entirely too obvious.

I hope I covered enough of that up . . . .

Y'all know what's there. Skip it if ya like.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

<_< Do I get kicked out of the thread for being kind of lukewarm on Star Wars in general? They're okay.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I was ten when Star Wars first came out. All the other movies of that time were very dark, both in tone and content. "There are no Heroes, and the 'Good Guys' never win because they are a bunch of Bumbling, Incompetent Nitwits," or similar opinions. Star Wars broke that trend.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Syrus, I'm pretty sure you didn't actually watch the prequels if you think they were better than seven. In fact, I'm certain of it, because all of the EU problems actually began there - to the point that nonsensical double canon was kept just so George's prequels would make sense, not to mention, of course, the plot holes and and just bad movie making.

Your problem was that it was shallow? Plot holes? Violated canon?

Allow me to introduce episodes 1-3. Anakin's transformation is painful and unbelievable, with plot-hole-ridden uninteresting dialogue, and nothing of substance to grant except poorly-executed retcons of established canon, and a disregard for spirit and tone of the original.

You know what ticked me off about seven? It tossed out EU canon.

You know what was a very intelligent move? Tossing out EU canon. Because it had already been tossed out. By the prequels. On accident.

The prequels totally didn't toss out old canon... they just made it impossible, nonsensical, and ignored it entirely. So that Jay and Silent Bob could have an answer to an off-hand comment in that one movie of theirs.

So, no: I reject your assertion, and with vigor, because anything you suggest that e7 did "wrong" to the fandom or EU, Lucas had already accomplished years before: at that point, you're only arguing over specifics, in which case, you might as well be in a fan-battle of "which is cooler?" anyway. (The answer is always Mara Jade, by the way.)

Yes, the loss of Zhan stuff was painful, but here is the honest truth: no more films would ever have been made. His incredible trilogy was unable to be filmed. And it couldn't be enshrined in canon, because there was no way they could cast or update "where have they been, now?" stuff, because Star Wars EU was kind of a mess. Much as I liked the concept, the whole thing with Celestials, extra-galactic non-Force connected (j/k, totes connected!), Luke's-descendent-was-a-druggie-for-a-while, or any other EU moment made sure that it simply wasn't able to be filmed. Look at the fandom, then look me in the face and tell me The Crystal Star was accepted as canon to most - go on, I'll wait (yes, I loved that book, but it was widely hated). Or the "White Current" being different than the force (J/K IT WAS REALLYBTHE FORCE). Or Aboleth uh, I mean, Abeloth. Yeah.

Was that stuff dramatic? Yes. Good? Some of it. Able to be turned into a film? Nope.

And if you answer, "They just should have stopped, then!" the reply becomes, "For you, they did, so feel free to enjoy what exists, while others enjoy the difference."

And that's the ultimate thing, here: e7 was a good movie, as a movie, with a better cast than the originals, and is basically receiving hate because the SW fanbase was turned toxic and divided and hateful... by the prequels and George's creation of two opposing generations of fans.

Had the prequels not existed, e7 absolutely could have been tied to the EU. But the prequels ensured that wasn't possible.

And the prequels aren't as bad, as films, as they're often given credit for. But they are toxic to the EU - far more toxic than simply excising the whole thing, allowing it all to exist, and not worrying about conforming to a canon crafted by dozens of different authors with clearly conflicting visions and poor oversight.

I love the EU. But it is a different continuity.

Like how in my FR, there is a deity opposed to Shar literally made by stealing her avatar, called "the Dark Dancer" and who has maintained a flying city of aasimar shades through the Spellplague (alternatively: who prevented the Spellplague). Because different canon is okay. Irritating if you were emotionally invested ("They changed it, now it sucks!") but okay.

I hold SW the same way.

And, I mean, hey: at least we don't have to worry about the Glove of Vader being canon anymore... Disney certainly learned their lesson, there!

(And I still love you, chief!)


Scintillae wrote:
<_< Do I get kicked out of the thread for being kind of lukewarm on Star Wars in general? They're okay.

Nope!

... but we are a bunch of emotionally-attached fan-nerds, so...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:
<_< Do I get kicked out of the thread for being kind of lukewarm on Star Wars in general? They're okay.

:)

Nope! Not at all!!

I'm loud and long-winded about it, but I'm *definitely* the minority opinion here concerning Star Wars. This group has been hearing *all* about it for over two years now, and they still haven't run *me* off . . . .

Though there's a chance I haven't noticed 'em trying . . . . :D lol


aatea wrote:
Okay, TL, put me down for paladin and then cloistered cleric archetype. I don't know what PrC I'd pick -- maybe Hellknight?

SCHWEEEEEET~!

Sovereign Court

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

"Using recursion in TSQL is like sumo wrestlers doing ballet. It is possible, but not pretty."

- Phil Factor


Syrus Terrigan wrote:
Scintillae wrote:
<_< Do I get kicked out of the thread for being kind of lukewarm on Star Wars in general? They're okay.

:)

Nope! Not at all!!

I'm loud and long-winded about it, but I'm *definitely* the minority opinion here concerning Star Wars. This group has been hearing *all* about it for over two years now, and they still haven't run *me* off . . . .

Though there's a chance I haven't noticed 'em trying . . . . :D lol

No way, my dude! You're here 4lyfe, just like an erudite vagrant!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The earlier talk of originality good, recycled inspiration bad got me thinking...

What are some good story ideas that were presented and either ignored or bungled horribly by an incompetent writer?

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Syrus Terrigan wrote:
Still better than "Seven". All three of 'em.

Well.

We should never discuss this again. I am now utterly incapable of ever taking anything you say on thus subject seriously now.

I can accept not liking the new movie. It was never, ever, ever going to measure up to the original trilogy, and the fact that they played it safe and followed the plot of ANH so closely is a turnoff for a lot of people, I get that.

But to say with a straight face that not just one but all three if the prequels were better.... That requires a perspective on the subject so utterly alien to my own that there is absolutely zero to be gained from further conversation.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:
<_< Do I get kicked out of the thread for being kind of lukewarm on Star Wars in general? They're okay.

LOL. I'd have to join you. I really don't want to EVER see another Star Wars film, but NobodysWife is dragging me to the next one, over my vehement objections, because she wants to "see how it ends".

I'm sure they'll mess it up.

In related news, once Disney bought the franchise and added Marvel, they started converting Disneyland to "Marvel and Star Wars Land". We cancelled our annual passes, didn't go last summer, and don't plan to go this summer. I want to go to Disneyland for Disney stuff, not Marvel and Star Wars stuff. Even if Disney owns them.

But since I'm in the minority, I'm sure losing my business won't cost them one red cent.

Ah, well, I can but try...


2 people marked this as a favorite.
John Napier 698 wrote:
I was ten when Star Wars first came out. All the other movies of that time were very dark, both in tone and content. "There are no Heroes, and the 'Good Guys' never win because they are a bunch of Bumbling, Incompetent Nitwits," or similar opinions. Star Wars broke that trend.

LOL. We are indeed the same age. We have the same childhood memories of eternally-depressing, "The good guys always lose" movies!

175,201 to 175,250 of 238,716 << first < prev | 3500 | 3501 | 3502 | 3503 | 3504 | 3505 | 3506 | 3507 | 3508 | 3509 | 3510 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.