Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

165,301 to 165,350 of 240,173 << first < prev | 3302 | 3303 | 3304 | 3305 | 3306 | 3307 | 3308 | 3309 | 3310 | 3311 | 3312 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Not to worry my friend, I'll actually have some extra income when the Starfinder pdf drops. :-)

I wasn't going to be dressed anyway.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
John Napier 698 wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
John Napier 698 wrote:
Hey, NH. I spoke to my brother earlier today. He approves of all my ideas about moving forward away from my dead Security career. But he recommends doing all simultaneously. Going to refurbish a "junker" tower to use as a test platform for my improvements to an obscure OS (MMURTL). Going to add support in the built-in debugger for floating point instructions.
MMURTL sounds like something that murlocks would use. At think it's murlocks. The froggy things from Hearthstone.
No, Gran Rey. It's an acronym for Message-based MUltitasking Real-Time KerneL. It's an OS written in the 1990's by Richard Burgess. Link.

Still sounds like something a murlock would say. Does it have a mascot? Preferably a turtle named "MMURTL the TRRTLE"?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:
Someone left a marble sculpture on the curb.

Better than a toilet of uncertain usage.

Just sayin'.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

My sister in law tried to use our computer to log on to Facebook but couldn't and gave up.

That'll do computer, that'll do.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

There are bugs cavorting loudly outside my window.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:

My sister in law tried to use our computer to log on to Facebook but couldn't and gave up.

That'll do computer, that'll do.

Did you set up your router to block Facebook? I did that once when my nieces were visiting. They were not amused.

But I sure was.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Tequila Sunrise wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:
Someone left a marble sculpture on the curb.

Better than a toilet of uncertain usage.

Just sayin'.

That sounds like an insult "Thou art a toilet of uncertain usage!"


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Two hunters were sitting in a tavern, arguing about who was the better hunter. They decided to bet a tall glass of beer each that they could kill and return with a killing first. One took up his hunting rifle and went out, and the other got into a fighter plane, found a lion, and killed it no problem. Forty-five minutes after the first hunter returned, the second returned. In disbelief, he asked how he did it so fast. The first hunter replied "Everyone knows that a strafed lion is the shortest distance between two pints."


1 person marked this as a favorite.

A long time ago, there was a beehive in the middle of a forest. Every day, as worker bees do, they would go out into their fields, gather pollen from the flowers, and bring it back to make honey. The bees had a problem, though, because every so often an intruder would come around, such as a bear who wanted the honey, or kids who thought it'd be fun to throw rocks at the hive. Finally, the bees got tired of it. Being the intelligent bees that they are, they built an alarm system for the hive. They built it such that one bee pulls a lever, which triggers the alarm that the bees will hear from the fields, and then the bees can come back to protect their home. There was one bee who was exclusively assigned that job, and he was aptly named the "Lever Bee." His job was to watch for potential adversaries, and pull the lever to raise the alarm. Now clearly, the safety of the hive depends on this one Lever Bee. So it stands to reason that he has to be constantly ready and on the alert so that he can do his job. And that, friends, is why people say, "I'm as ready as a Lever Bee."


1 person marked this as a favorite.

This three hundred and fifty pound woman shows up at a run-down circus, looking for a job as a flying trapeze artist. The incredulous ringmaster gives her an audition, and is so impressed he tells her she's hired. There's one condition: she goes on last. On opening night, the other acts are so bad, some of the spectators begin to leave. The ringmaster, seeing this, runs out and cries, "Don't go now, folks, the show ain't over till the fat lady swings!"


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Ten Thousand years ago the first humans came to North America by crossing over from Russia to Alaska. They hadn't actually intended to do this. They got lost and couldn't get their Berings Strait.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

156 this time.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

When Kit Carson wasn't out exploring, he lived on a small farm. One day, the famous frontiersman decided to surprise his wife with eggs and fish for breakfast. Arising early, he went down to the hen house and collected some fresh eggs. There were only six. On the way back, he stopped at the pond and landed a magnificent large-mouth bass. He wasn't sure how to carry everything---then he had an idea. He carefully dropped the eggs inside the fish and started for home. Suddenly, the Western hero found himself confronted by a mean, hungry looking wolf. Fearing that he might become a meal for the canine, he threw the bass aside and hurried up a nearby tree. From there, he watched as the wolf grabbed his fish, eggs and all, and ran off. When Carson got back home empty handed, he related the adventure to Mrs. Carson, who responded, saying, "You shouldn't have put all your eggs in one bass, Kit."


2 people marked this as a favorite.

A man walks into a doctor's office and asks the doctor to inspect his leg. The man says, "Here, put your ear to my knee." The doctor puts his ear to the man's knee and hears very faintly, "Come on, can I have five bucks, just five bucks?" The doctor steps back in horror, and the man says, "I know, but it gets worse. Put your ear to my shin." The doctor puts his ear to the man's shin and hears very faintly, "Come on, can I have ten bucks, just ten bucks?" Once again, the doctor stands up, very perplexed. The man then says, "If that surprises you, put your ear to my ankle." The doctor puts his ear to the man's ankle and hears oh so faintly, "Come on, can I have twenty bucks, just twenty bucks?" The doctor then stands up and says, "Well, I can I make just one conclusion. Your leg is broke in three places."


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The Revolutionary War was over and General Washington called the troops together to address them saying: "Men, the country must be kept safe. Accordingly, I am ordering that the active duty regulars are to stand duty from Monday through Friday. On Saturday and Sunday the National Guard and Reserves will worry about our new nations security." And so it was, and from that day to this, the National Guard and Reserves have been known as Weekend Worriers.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

It turns out that the "Old King Cole" of nursery rhyme fame is loosely based on a 14th century ruler. The slightly mad monarch is best known for his decree that the entire fiefdom's crop of lettuce be diced and drenched in mayonnaise. He called it, of course, Cole's Law.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:

Not to worry my friend, I'll actually have some extra income when the Starfinder pdf drops. :-)

I wasn't going to be dressed anyway.

Yeah, we can see you are quite... excited for Starfinder...


So am I!

... I've just kept my clothes on!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Second try of fixing brother's PC, still no luck.

Hopefully my dad can get his friend who's apparently a PC repair guy to help out on Monday.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:
I'm surprised Wei Ji and I are the only FaWtLites subscribed to Starfinder.

We've never been into Sci-Fi RPGs. They just don't work for us. And we played quite a bit of the original Traveler, really trying to like it, but it never worked out.

(Even more ironically, our gaming group includes the original authors of Blackwatch, and we still don't play Sci-Fi RPGs.)

COOOOOOOOL


2 people marked this as a favorite.

So i've been trying to watch Firefly because they have it on Hulu and it's been a long time since someone told me "You HAVE to see it, it's THE BEST sci-fi show out there, until it was cancelled!!!!!!"

It ain't that, that's for sure.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

No. No, it was definitely cancelled.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Pours a forty on the curb for Bendis, is annihilated shortly thereafter.

He really knew how to die!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Cap'n Siskel, FaWtLy Critic wrote:

So i've been trying to watch Firefly because they have it on Hulu and it's been a long time since someone told me "You HAVE to see it, it's THE BEST sci-fi show out there, until it was cancelled!!!!!!"

It ain't that, that's for sure.

makes out with fawtl critic

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Jess Door wrote:

I am about to head out to DM Wrath of the Righteous. I am bringing chicken garlic sausace, mozzerella ravioli, alfredo sauce, and peas.

And player character death, of course.

I failed to kill any player characters in Wrath, but I did catch a bunch in a couple of blasphemies and rolled max strength damage on one of them. The wizard and the ninja were out with zero strength for two rounds...just as the brute demon got over his panicked fear of the paladin and teleported back in.

The druid managed to save them as the rest of the party ran interference, but I scared the crap out of them for 12 seconds (in game). So fun.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Icyshadow wrote:

Second try of fixing brother's PC, still no luck.

Hopefully my dad can get his friend who's apparently a PC repair guy to help out on Monday.

Any diagnosis? Does it start? Does it power up? what are the symptoms of not working?

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
NobodysHome wrote:

OK, Amazon Prime is officially "evil".

Normally, when I want a book, I go to the bookstore (I can't call it "local", because it's a Barnes and Noble), peruse around, and end up with 3-4 books.

Impus Major is getting very interested in string theory and quantum physics, so I decided to get him "A Brief History of Time" to give him a decent foundation.

Amazon Prime: NobodysHome, you don't have to leave the house! We'll give you the hardcover edition for under $20, with free one-day shipping...

I swear, use Amazon Prime enough and you turn into a pasty-skinned eloi, ripe for the morlock's plucking...

I would also consider Black Holes and Time Warps by Kip Thorne (did undergrad study with Hawking, was the physicist consultant on Interstellar), which was my first physics book for the layperson in high school, and Brian Greene's books, which are more about string theory. :)


2 people marked this as a favorite.
gran rey de los mono wrote:
When Kit Carson wasn't out exploring, he lived on a small farm. One day, the famous frontiersman decided to surprise his wife with eggs and fish for breakfast. Arising early, he went down to the hen house and collected some fresh eggs. There were only six. On the way back, he stopped at the pond and landed a magnificent large-mouth bass. He wasn't sure how to carry everything---then he had an idea. He carefully dropped the eggs inside the fish and started for home. Suddenly, the Western hero found himself confronted by a mean, hungry looking wolf. Fearing that he might become a meal for the canine, he threw the bass aside and hurried up a nearby tree. From there, he watched as the wolf grabbed his fish, eggs and all, and ran off. When Carson got back home empty handed, he related the adventure to Mrs. Carson, who responded, saying, "You shouldn't have put all your eggs in one bass, Kit."

As a total aside, I messed up slightly -- we're staying at the Kit Carson lodge for the backpack trip, about 10 miles farther up highway 88 than my old haunt (Kay's Silver Lake resort).


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:
I'm surprised Wei Ji and I are the only FaWtLites subscribed to Starfinder.

We've never been into Sci-Fi RPGs. They just don't work for us. And we played quite a bit of the original Traveler, really trying to like it, but it never worked out.

(Even more ironically, our gaming group includes the original authors of Blackwatch, and we still don't play Sci-Fi RPGs.)

COOOOOOOOL

One of them has been working on a revised rule set, so if you're interested (and he's willing) I could send you a work-in-progress.

It's kind of funny, actually. Every month or two he says, "OK, here's a character sheet. Follow the instructions and build your characters."

Then he just collects the sheets to see what we did, then adjusts the game.

Actually play it? Nah, we don't do that...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
gran rey de los mono wrote:
John Napier 698 wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
John Napier 698 wrote:
Hey, NH. I spoke to my brother earlier today. He approves of all my ideas about moving forward away from my dead Security career. But he recommends doing all simultaneously. Going to refurbish a "junker" tower to use as a test platform for my improvements to an obscure OS (MMURTL). Going to add support in the built-in debugger for floating point instructions.
MMURTL sounds like something that murlocks would use. At think it's murlocks. The froggy things from Hearthstone.
No, Gran Rey. It's an acronym for Message-based MUltitasking Real-Time KerneL. It's an OS written in the 1990's by Richard Burgess. Link.
Still sounds like something a murlock would say. Does it have a mascot? Preferably a turtle named "MMURTL the TRRTLE"?

No to both.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

Oh, and if you want to understand the horrors of Impus Major's brain, he's started his own Instagram account.

EDIT: For context, the black-and-white picture is an utterly bizarre event where his friend was trying to thread Cheerios onto a fork, and managed to stab himself hard enough to draw blood not once but twice. Teenager problems. The video is a gopher he spotted at skate camp.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
gran rey de los mono wrote:
John Napier 698 wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
John Napier 698 wrote:
Hey, NH. I spoke to my brother earlier today. He approves of all my ideas about moving forward away from my dead Security career. But he recommends doing all simultaneously. Going to refurbish a "junker" tower to use as a test platform for my improvements to an obscure OS (MMURTL). Going to add support in the built-in debugger for floating point instructions.
MMURTL sounds like something that murlocks would use. At think it's murlocks. The froggy things from Hearthstone.
No, Gran Rey. It's an acronym for Message-based MUltitasking Real-Time KerneL. It's an OS written in the 1990's by Richard Burgess. Link.
Still sounds like something a murlock would say. Does it have a mascot? Preferably a turtle named "MMURTL the TRRTLE"?

I was thinking more along the lines of Larry McMurtl, the old west coder who worked out of the back of a dusty saloon in-between poker games.


8 people marked this as a favorite.

So last night was just a little surreal. I enjoy being sociable with the staff, but I prefer to treat them as my friends and equals, rather than my peons.

So, we walk in, our favorite waitress runs up and gives us all big hugs, the manager waves hi, and the hostess realizes, "These people might just be regulars" and is extremely sweet to us. All perfectly normal.

Then, it started. Our waitress gave NobodysWife and I an extremely sweet Thank You card for having bought her dinner last time. Most of the staff stopped by to wish me a happy birthday. When I started distributing the scotch to the staff, they were rather astonished at my "generosity", which was rather odd considering I poured 11 glasses of the stuff and didn't even get 1/3 of the way through the bottle. I wasn't exactly "freely pouring". Our waitress was extremely embarrassed when she mentioned how much her fiancee in the kitchen loved scotch, so I gave him seconds. If I'd gone through 1/2 or 2/3 of the bottle as I was thinking I would, I would have been being generous. As it was, I was just making sure that everyone at the table and all the staff members who wanted some were getting tastes, but not even half-shots.

So just a lot more attention than I thought the situation merited.
And then, of course, my frigging guests decided to pay for the meal on me. They caught me totally unawares. I went to the restroom to wash up after dinner, and by the time I was back dinner was paid for, divvied up, and I never even saw the check. I wouldn't be nearly so irritated if Shiro's player hadn't picked up the check just a couple of weeks ago, so it's been a while since I've covered a major dinner.
We try to keep things "balanced" with everyone paying what they can. So Hi's player? We bought him dinner through 2-3 years of unemployment, so I'm not going to argue. But Shiro's player has grabbed the last 3-4 major bills, and our other guest really shouldn't have been paying at all, but as I said, by the time I got back it was too late.

Ah, well. It was an extremely fun night. I just don't do well with a lot of attention and profusive thanks. I tend to like to hide in a corner, do nice things for people, and watch their delight from afar. Being the center of attention is... off-putting... even on my (late) birthday.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Happy (late) birthday!

You are ridiculously generous...

Now, back in the saddle! Keep rockin' it, my dude!


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Those bastards!

:P


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Happy belated Birthday, NH.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Did I wish you a happy birthday? I think I did...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I work today, 8 hours, in one day, on a Saturday even!

Who does that!!

G$&#$#n savages.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Happy birthday, NH!

To commemorate this event, today I washed my shorts, Brassoed the bugle and cleaned, oiled and sharpened all three tulwars and the kukri.

I may or may not have needed to do all of those things anyway (we're having another test-cutting do tomorrow), but it's the thought that counts, eh?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Happy birthday!

Sounds like you didn't do anything I would've done.

For the record I probably would've choked on something with no one helping me because they all assumed I was doing a Nic Cage impression.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

So last night was just a little surreal. I enjoy being sociable with the staff, but I prefer to treat them as my friends and equals, rather than my peons.

So, we walk in, our favorite waitress runs up and gives us all big hugs, the manager waves hi, and the hostess realizes, "These people might just be regulars" and is extremely sweet to us. All perfectly normal.

Then, it started. Our waitress gave NobodysWife and I an extremely sweet Thank You card for having bought her dinner last time. Most of the staff stopped by to wish me a happy birthday. When I started distributing the scotch to the staff, they were rather astonished at my "generosity", which was rather odd considering I poured 11 glasses of the stuff and didn't even get 1/3 of the way through the bottle. I wasn't exactly "freely pouring". Our waitress was extremely embarrassed when she mentioned how much her fiancee in the kitchen loved scotch, so I gave him seconds. If I'd gone through 1/2 or 2/3 of the bottle as I was thinking I would, I would have been being generous. As it was, I was just making sure that everyone at the table and all the staff members who wanted some were getting tastes, but not even half-shots.

So just a lot more attention than I thought the situation merited.
And then, of course, my frigging guests decided to pay for the meal on me. They caught me totally unawares. I went to the restroom to wash up after dinner, and by the time I was back dinner was paid for, divvied up, and I never even saw the check. I wouldn't be nearly so irritated if Shiro's player hadn't picked up the check just a couple of weeks ago, so it's been a while since I've covered a major dinner.
We try to keep things "balanced" with everyone paying what they can. So Hi's player? We bought him dinner through 2-3 years of unemployment, so I'm not going to argue. But Shiro's player has grabbed the last 3-4 major bills, and our other guest really shouldn't have been paying at all, but as I said, by the time I got back it was too late....

As someone who also enjoys being generous (even though I've no money, to speak of) I can relate to this. (It's happened again! A NH post I can relate to! Astonishing!)

So, currently, other than small things, I've no way to be generous, other than small, insignificant little things for different folks. Even worse! Every-time I go out-to-eat with any member of the church I'm currently interning with, they insist on paying. (and they are taking me out nearly every-day) So, right now, I'm caught in a trap of not being able to help people, but also being unmercifully helped myself! It's enough to drive one mad!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

My religious right wing warrior brother took us out for dinner last night and spent quite a bit of time going down the list of toys that we carried that offended him in some way.

Otherwise it was delightful.

His wife is quite nice and always fun to chat with. :-)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Random question, either for those of you who were rather tall children or are the parents of rather tall children:

My four-year-old son is the same height as most of the five- and six-year olds in my class and keeps getting taller. Over the past few weeks, he's started falling down and hurting himself. A lot. In weird ways.
And he's never been clumsy; he until recently seemed to have been gifted with an absurdly high Dex.
WTF?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Eh!?
I'm a religious right-winger, and I must be out of the loop.
Either that, or offensive toys aren't really a problem.

I elect to vote for the latter!
Edit: Ninja'd!!
@lisamarlene. Has he grown in shoe sizes lately? I remember that getting a new shoe-size would always make me a bit more clumsy for a little while.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:

My religious right wing warrior brother took us out for dinner last night and spent quite a bit of time going down the list of toys that we carried that offended him in some way.

Even though it breaks about 1000000 FAWTL rules (so might be better off in another thread), I would be interested to know what those are.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:

Random question, either for those of you who were rather tall children or are the parents of rather tall children:

My four-year-old son is the same height as most of the five- and six-year olds in my class and keeps getting taller. Over the past few weeks, he's started falling down and hurting himself. A lot. In weird ways.
And he's never been clumsy; he until recently seemed to have been gifted with an absurdly high Dex.
WTF?

REALLY common. Growth spurt = clumsy.

I had all kinds of fun with my friends with that one. As I never had one, and they all did.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Library's about to close. See everyone later.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Well, the main reason it took me so long to get into D&D was the fact that most of the folks in my hometown considered it Satanic, and if you played it, your were putting your soul in peril. (Back then, *everything* was Satanic.)


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
lisamarlene wrote:

Random question, either for those of you who were rather tall children or are the parents of rather tall children:

My four-year-old son is the same height as most of the five- and six-year olds in my class and keeps getting taller. Over the past few weeks, he's started falling down and hurting himself. A lot. In weird ways.
And he's never been clumsy; he until recently seemed to have been gifted with an absurdly high Dex.
WTF?

Most likely just had a growth spurt. :-)


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Limeylongears wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:

My religious right wing warrior brother took us out for dinner last night and spent quite a bit of time going down the list of toys that we carried that offended him in some way.

Even though it breaks about 1000000 FAWTL rules (so might be better off in another thread), I would be interested to know what those are.

Apparently people believing in reverse sexism is a thing and there are entirely too many toys featuring girls (or as they're commonly referred to everywhere else, women).

But, Pea Bear's thirteen now so I just let her unload her rightful fury and sit back.

165,301 to 165,350 of 240,173 << first < prev | 3302 | 3303 | 3304 | 3305 | 3306 | 3307 | 3308 | 3309 | 3310 | 3311 | 3312 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.