Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

160,451 to 160,500 of 243,648 << first < prev | 3205 | 3206 | 3207 | 3208 | 3209 | 3210 | 3211 | 3212 | 3213 | 3214 | 3215 | next > last >>

5 people marked this as a favorite.

Why haven't I had any problems with the website yet?

Maybe setting up that mythal was worthwhile after all.

So ballocks to you, Elminster.

EDIT: Yeah, these ones. Right HERE.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

It's interesting having the out of state nephews over.

Their idea of playing is to dump absolutely everything on the floor and then pick one action figure they'll play with exclusively in the mess.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Limeylongears wrote:

Why haven't I had any problems with the website yet?

Maybe setting up that mythal was worthwhile after all.

So ballocks to you, Elminster.

EDIT: Yeah, these ones. Right HERE.

glares at the Crystal Ball, takes another drag off his pipe.

Lhaeo! Google "Mythal" again.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:

It's interesting having the out of state nephews over.

Their idea of playing is to dump absolutely everything on the floor and then pick one action figure they'll play with exclusively in the mess.

Yep. I know that pain. Those are the kids whose parents teach them, "Oh, whatever mess you make, I'll make a half-hearted effort to get you to clean it, then when you refuse I'll just do it myself to avoid the stress."

THOSE parents...


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Well, I'll say this for new crappy part time retail job over old crappy part time retail job - instead of budgeting two hours to get here this morning, it took 12 minutes by bicycle, and I rode at a casual speed and walked up a hill.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
NobodysHome wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:

It's interesting having the out of state nephews over.

Their idea of playing is to dump absolutely everything on the floor and then pick one action figure they'll play with exclusively in the mess.

Yep. I know that pain. Those are the kids whose parents teach them, "Oh, whatever mess you make, I'll make a half-hearted effort to get you to clean it, then when you refuse I'll just do it myself to avoid the stress."

THOSE parents...

No, it's more like "If you refuse to clean it up whatever, just don't make me get off my computer"


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Sometimes, I really hate how fake retail is.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I am currently trying to understand the proof for the infinite sum of the 1/n^2 series, so that I can apply the process to other similar series.

It is not going well.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Tequila Sunrise wrote:

I am currently trying to understand the proof for the infinite sum of the 1/n^2 series, so that I can apply the process to other similar series.

It is not going well.

Try this.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Tequila Sunrise wrote:

I am currently trying to understand the proof for the infinite sum of the 1/n^2 series, so that I can apply the process to other similar series.

It is not going well.

Wrong, try this


1 person marked this as a favorite.

*points* Hey, Freehold! Look!! Y-Wings! Aren't they beautiful?


3 people marked this as a favorite.

'Who's going to bring mead to HEMA tonight?', they said.

They thought they were joking.

How very, very wrong they were.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Tequila Sunrise wrote:

I am currently trying to understand the proof for the infinite sum of the 1/n^2 series, so that I can apply the process to other similar series.

It is not going well.

It's the physicist's favorite trick: Start off with a trig function (in this case sine), write out its infinite series, and then play with it until it matches what you want (in this case, 1/n^2).

In this case, since you can formally prove that the series converges, their tricks apply, and the proof stands.


Limeylongears wrote:

Why haven't I had any problems with the website yet?

Maybe setting up that mythal was worthwhile after all.

So ballocks to you, Elminster.

EDIT: Yeah, these ones. Right HERE.

Is that what that word means?

I was never really sure.

Here in the US it really isn't a "bad" word - at least not that I know of, for most. Mostly it is a euphemistic word for lies or falsehood, and, by inference, I always assumed it was related to the fecal (especially bovine-related) family of euphemism, i.e. "that is b@+%#@%s" is akin to "that is crap" - but if it's testicular, that would explain why it used to be censored around here (or at least, was censored that one time I ever used it, outside of this post).

Harsh swears territory! ... also religion, I guess?:
I know that in some regions, for example, "bloody" is pretty hard language (referring to either the sacramental blood, or somehow Mary?), and "Crikey" (made famous by a Crocodile Hunter) is a curse word-cum-euphemism for the name "Christ" ("Christ" being both Name and Title; here in the 'States, we unfortunately skip straight to the Man's - Anglicized - Name and/or Title, sometimes with downright bizarre extras thrown in*, rather than giving Him the least little bit of space, which something like that, at least, seems to); in the 'States, though, the former is considered quaint and relatively harmless, while the latter is (or was - it seems to have fallen from favor, lately) considered even cute... though that's predominantly because they are not really associated with the things they are associated with in other countries.

Similarly, though, I know that in British countries, what we consider the "peace" sign was (at least for a time) a very naughty and suggestive gesture.

Anyway, all that said, it's always been my impression that "b$$@$#$s" was a harmless word, rather than a vulgar one.

I'm generally curious if there are normal American by-words or similar that mean terrible things in your country?

* I've still never figured out what, exactly, the "H." is. Like, it maps to no linguistic or religious suggestion that I can guess at - the closest is "Hell" but that doesn't really fit in the middle of his name, and it makes no sense. So weird. And then there's the extraordinarily impious - not to mention rude - suggestions of things like zombieism, or inclusions of both tap-dancing and/or pogos, and so on: stuff like comparing Him to undead are obvious (if errant), but the extremely codified/oft-repeated tap-dancing and pogo sticks are... extremely puzzling, at best.


Uh... why did I get censored, and Limey didn't? O.o?

Also, why is my the one tab I wrote the post on still trying to submit, when, here, it's already submitted...?

... blaaaaaarrrrrrrg. Site. Siiiiiiiiiiiiite. Site. Look, my dude: I just wanted to update my PbP. That's all I wanted. That's it.

DON'T DO THIS. >.<

Rosita the Riveter wrote:
Sometimes, I really hate how fake retail is.

Yeah, it can be a pain.

The worst part, was, to me, when my managers would be legally obliged to tell me that I had to do X, Y, and Z, but then expect me to somehow infer that they were totally lying and to W, R, and, just sometimes, Q, instead... though only when the situation was correct. >:I


1 person marked this as a favorite.

*Shouts into the spacious cavern that this thread has become* "Pinocchio ..."


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Ramen, Ramen, Rah-Rah-Rah! :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

*Tap dances in an empty thread*


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Well, since no-one's here, and I'm bored, I'll just go home. Good night, everybody.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
John Napier 698 wrote:
Ramen, Ramen, Rah-Rah-Rah! :)

Ra ra Rasputin

Lover of the Russian queen
There was a cat that really was gone


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Oh, Vid! You bring me glorious memories of the 5th RoW book with that song!!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

One does what one can.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm out for my morning walk, a pilgrim who is on the Road to Santiago approaches me. She speaks perfect English, from the accent I guess she might be British but I'm unsure.
I answer her, in a heavily accented, barely comprehensible attempt on English.
Shame on me! I have spent so much time without practising my spoken English that I've got really bad at it.
I was specially ashamed because I was writing a long post quite effortlessly here. I'm writing a campaign journal in English too! And I cannot even give a couple of simple directions in spoken English!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Your written English has greatly exceed your spoken eh? I suppose you could always keep a notepad on you. Maybe when your writing English read back over it and say it out loud for practice?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

English is weird. I have had friends online who I could only communicate with via text, as they could not speak English well at all.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

See I feel like writing English is harder then speaking it. So many rules that don't make sense. Of course obviously kile has a lot more practice writing it then speaking it. So it does make sense for her.


6 people marked this as a favorite.
Vidmaster7 wrote:
One does what one can.

Juan is a dead intestinal worm that my workmates have adopted. They say it is the lab's pet. Juan cannot do anything because Juan is dead. We lab people are creepy.

There was a very bad joke on Family Guy where it was written "I guess it takes Juan to know Juan". It stuck on me, and now I cannot but read One as Juan.

Conversation in the lab:
Workmate: This is creepy. I cannot believe this has come out from a person.
Me: Maybe that person was a Worm that Walks.
Workmate: What?
Me: Forget it. Obscure reference.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kileanna wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
One does what one can.

Juan is a dead intestinal worm that my workmates have adopted. They say it is the lab's pet. Juan cannot do anything because Juan is dead. We lab people are creepy.

There was a very bad joke on Family Guy where it was written "I guess it takes Juan to know Juan". It stuck on me, and now I cannot but read One as Juan.

Conversation in the lab:
Workmate: This is creepy. I cannot believe this has come out from a person.
Me: Maybe that person was a Worm that Walks.
Workmate: What?
Me: Forget it. Obscure reference.

Do you ever feel super proud that you can out nerd two completely different set of nerds on two different fronts? I would.


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Vidmaster7 wrote:
See I feel like writing English is harder then speaking it. So many rules that don't make sense. Of course obviously kile has a lot more practice writing it then speaking it. So it does make sense for her.

It's all about pronunciation. Many sounds don't come out natural. Also pronunciation greatly differs in words that are written in similar ways.

But the fact that I talked to her about a "hostage for peregrins" instead of about a "hostel for pilgrims" was probably the worse part xD


2 people marked this as a favorite.

The government will listen if you take peregrins hostage.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I think Peregrin is an alternative rock band.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vidmaster7 wrote:
Kileanna wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
One does what one can.

Juan is a dead intestinal worm that my workmates have adopted. They say it is the lab's pet. Juan cannot do anything because Juan is dead. We lab people are creepy.

There was a very bad joke on Family Guy where it was written "I guess it takes Juan to know Juan". It stuck on me, and now I cannot but read One as Juan.

Conversation in the lab:
Workmate: This is creepy. I cannot believe this has come out from a person.
Me: Maybe that person was a Worm that Walks.
Workmate: What?
Me: Forget it. Obscure reference.

Do you ever feel super proud that you can out nerd two completely different set of nerds on two different fronts? I would.

I'm used to outnerd people. Should I get a sticker for my car? "Nerd. And proud." With Mystique on it for extra nerdiness (does that word exist?)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kileanna wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
Kileanna wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
One does what one can.

Juan is a dead intestinal worm that my workmates have adopted. They say it is the lab's pet. Juan cannot do anything because Juan is dead. We lab people are creepy.

There was a very bad joke on Family Guy where it was written "I guess it takes Juan to know Juan". It stuck on me, and now I cannot but read One as Juan.

Conversation in the lab:
Workmate: This is creepy. I cannot believe this has come out from a person.
Me: Maybe that person was a Worm that Walks.
Workmate: What?
Me: Forget it. Obscure reference.

Do you ever feel super proud that you can out nerd two completely different set of nerds on two different fronts? I would.

I'm used to outnerd people. Should I get a sticker for my car? "Nerd. And proud." With Mystique on it for extra nerdiness (does that word exist?)

I have seen that on shirts before.

Redbubble.com probably has it somewhere.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

nerdiness I think so.. it may not be in Websters yet.. and if it doesn't I say you can coin it as your own.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Oh, yes. Now that I left work to go home, everyone shows up! So, that's how it, is it? Fine. I'll just take my computer and go home then. Wait ... I'm already home? Never mind. :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Uh oh Johns back everyone hide.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Well, I am tired, and have a bit of a headache. Good night, all.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

>.> <.< I didn't think you guys would take me seriously...


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Poor John... Now he is the kid nobody wants to play with?
Come on! He's a nice guy!

Maybe we were only playing hide and seek ;-D


2 people marked this as a favorite.

It is too hot to function.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm told it was pretty hot today. Yay for third shift I slept through the warm.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

It is too hot to sleep.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

sounds horrible.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

It is.

Too hot.

Ugh.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Have you tried calling the police or a fireman?
would you say that it would Make a dragon wanna retire man?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
Limeylongears wrote:

Why haven't I had any problems with the website yet?

Maybe setting up that mythal was worthwhile after all.

So ballocks to you, Elminster.

EDIT: Yeah, these ones. Right HERE.

Is that what that word means?

I was never really sure.

Here in the US it really isn't a "bad" word - at least not that I know of, for most. Mostly it is a euphemistic word for lies or falsehood, and, by inference, I always assumed it was related to the fecal (especially bovine-related) family of euphemism, i.e. "that is b&@~~*+s" is akin to "that is crap" - but if it's testicular, that would explain why it used to be censored around here (or at least, was censored that one time I ever used it, outside of this post).

** spoiler omitted **...

Curses and naughty words!:

Yes, it does. Paizo.com's potty-mouth filter doesn't censor you unless you spell the word with an 'a' after the 'b' (which, linguistic fact fans, is an archaic way of spelling it), but does if you use an 'o'

Regarding words that are ruder in the UK than the US, 'fanny' is an old favourite; in the US, it refers to the fleshy part at the top of the leg, whereas in the UK, it refers to a lady's reproductive parts, so don't go to Britrain and start talking about fanny packs in a loud voice, or you may get More Than You Bargained For.

'Bum' in Britain means, again, fleshy part at the top of the leg, rather than person of no fixed abode, but that isn't really a rude word.

'Spunk' may have meant vim, or vital spirit, at one point, but is now a vulgar way of referring to sperm in Our Country.

The peace sign is only rude when the back of the hand is towards the person to whom you are gesturing, unless you're in Greece, in which case showing someone your palm is considered to be very rude.

No-one's quite sure about the etymology of 'bloody' - might originally have been religious, like 'Crikey' or 'Blimey' or 'Zounds' or 'Gadzooks', but somebody said it might have been a corruption of the Gaelic for 'rather'. However, this appears to be a load of olde rubbish.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

There's a doctor in the hospital I work who is The Doctor.
He is identic to Peter Capaldi!
I'm searching for a Tardis like mad!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
It is finally hot enough to function.

Ftfy. It's okay, you'd do the same for me. :-)

Skips away, gayly tossing dandelions out of his basket as his pigtails flop freely about his head.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

See now this alias seems appropriate for this situation.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I dreamt it rained heavily, and that I was in the vicinity of my old college. Kileanna was in the dream for some reason. I was trying to get somewhere... not sure where.

160,451 to 160,500 of 243,648 << first < prev | 3205 | 3206 | 3207 | 3208 | 3209 | 3210 | 3211 | 3212 | 3213 | 3214 | 3215 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.