Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

153,301 to 153,350 of 232,622 << first < prev | 3062 | 3063 | 3064 | 3065 | 3066 | 3067 | 3068 | 3069 | 3070 | 3071 | 3072 | next > last >>

2 people marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
I love those little bacon and cheese quiches.

I bring them to holidays because it's the only edible food.

How my brothers grew up in a house with a Swedish Irish baker and suck that bad at cooking is beyond me.

  • I moved out of the house after 12 years of planning, making the shopping list for, preparing, and serving dinners for 6, 7 days a week, perhaps 350 days a year.
  • My brother moved out of the house knowing how to make tacos, frozen peas, and toast.
  • If someone else is doing it for you, there's no reason to learn how to do it.

    EDIT: How is it that EVERY time I talk about cooking I'm naked?


    6 people marked this as a favorite.

    And I do love that both my kids use my brother's cooking at a paragon of badness.
    "Man, that movie was worse than uncle's cooking!"
    "Oh, it hurt so bad, I thought I was eating my uncle's cooking!"

    I do love my kids.


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

    That's the thing though, they really try.

    I blame Rachel Ray to be honest. :-)


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

    I've always considered Alchemist my favorite Pathfinder class and goto argument for why D&D is terrible.

    But, I realized, I've never actually had an Alchemist character.

    Is that odd?

    Even while trying to think of character for Strange Aeons, I never thought of Alchemist.


    3 people marked this as a favorite.

    I learned to cook so that I could eat things without onions and peppers.

    The kids are constantly complaining about what we feed them -- hey that gruel is cooked enough to kill most of the mold in it, it's not child abuse -- so I'm hoping we can channel those complaints into motivation into learning to cook.


    4 people marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

    I learned how to cook so I wouldn't have to do dishes.

    And then I cooked professionally so I wouldn't have to work in a factory, and free food.

    And then I retired from professional cooking for landscaping and heavy equipment so I'd like people and food again.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    captain yesterday wrote:

    So, at some point, a loss in faith in humanity was discussed. Maybe not here, but somewhere...

    Anyway, you wanna talk about losing faith in humanity; Dirty Grandpa, Unrated is currently the most popular movie on Hulu. And Dirty Grandpa is fourth!

    "Hey Billy, I know we just watched Dirty Grandpa but let's watch the Unrated version to see how many more vagina jokes we can squeeze out of it"

    Humanity has brought great shame upon itself.

    Bad Santa was funny. Don't know about the sequel.


    4 people marked this as a favorite.

    IT'S SNOWING!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

    LET'S GO OUTSIDE LET'S GO OUTSIDE LET'S GO OUTSIDE LET'S GO OUTSIDE LET'S GO OUTSIDE

    Silver Crusade

    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

    Okay, I now have a (currently airing) food/cooking related show I actively despise.

    Cooks vs "Cons"


    3 people marked this as a favorite.

    It's no iron chef USA... But I can see why you would hate it.

    Silver Crusade

    4 people marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
    Freehold DM wrote:
    It's no iron chef USA... But I can see why you would hate it.

    *nods*

    Oh, Cooks vs Cons? So they're going to host the show in a prison or something or... no? It's "cooks" vs... non-"cooks"?!?!

    wut.

    "Okay so now that you won, are you a cook or a con-artist?" Really?

    "Well, I'm a... 'con', [proceeds to describe job and daily life that isn't a head chef in some internationally known fancy restaurant]"

    "Oh wow, really? I never would guessed you weren't a cook."

    ...

    ... weren't a cook?

    SHE WON THE F!$$ING EPISODE. SHE BEAT CHEFS THAT WENT TO CULINARY SCHOOL AND WORK ALL DAY IN RESTAURANTS. SHE MADE 3 AWESOME MEALS THAT YOU STUCK UP LITTLE S$#@S LOVED. SHE IS A G%~*%#N COOK. I WILL SHANK A M#@!*$!$$&#%.


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

    I hate Masterchef Junior with every fiber of my being, and some fibers I borrowed from a friend.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    captain yesterday wrote:
    I hate Masterchef Junior with every fiber of my being, and some fibers I borrowed from a friend.

    but... Why? It's kids cooking. I wish I had that show as a kid. Might have gone into culinary school.

    Silver Crusade

    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
    Freehold DM wrote:
    captain yesterday wrote:
    I hate Masterchef Junior with every fiber of my being, and some fibers I borrowed from a friend.
    but... Why? It's kids cooking. I wish I had that show as a kid. Might have gone into culinary school.

    Yeah, I mean when the kids gets overstressed or have anxiety trying to get everything together or when they're being judged is rough but the rest of it is really awesome and heartwarming.


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

    Those are all stage kids, shame on those piece of s#*% parents for doing that to their kids.

    Truly, the worst of humanity.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    You could make a case for, I dunno, NOT doing the judging part when dealing with KIDS, right?

    They need to be encouraged and supported in keeping up with cooking.

    Don't humiliate them on TV.

    Silver Crusade

    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
    captain yesterday wrote:

    Those are all stage kids, shame on those piece of s!#$ parents for doing that to their kids.

    Truly, the worst of humanity.

    Crap, yeah, didn't think about that.

    Silver Crusade

    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
    Sissyl wrote:

    You could make a case for, I dunno, NOT doing the judging part when dealing with KIDS, right?

    They need to be encouraged and supported in keeping up with cooking.

    Don't humiliate them on TV.

    I don't think I've seen them humiliated, given criticisms yeah, and definitely support.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

    If anything, they're hyperinflating the poor kids ego. "I am so a great chef! Gordon Ramsey told me so when I was 9!" "That was twenty years ago! You need to get a job!"


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    captain yesterday wrote:

    Those are all stage kids, shame on those piece of s&*# parents for doing that to their kids.

    Truly, the worst of humanity.

    I don't know. I was almost one, and have worked with a stage mother and former model before, professionally. It's a trade, like any other, and there's going to be bad times and worse people in it. But I would argue that's true anywhere. Calling someone awful because they are doing something you wouldn't(especially the worst of humanity) is a bit much.

    Silver Crusade

    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
    captain yesterday wrote:
    If anything, they're hyperinflating the poor kids ego. "I am so a great chef! Gordon Ramsey told me so when I was 9!" "That was twenty years ago! You need to get a job!"

    That can happen with everything, or with the person's family even.

    "You're so much smarter than this, you scored past college levels on 4 parts of that one exam."

    "Mom... that was a middle school placement exam..."


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Rysky wrote:
    Sissyl wrote:

    You could make a case for, I dunno, NOT doing the judging part when dealing with KIDS, right?

    They need to be encouraged and supported in keeping up with cooking.

    Don't humiliate them on TV.

    I don't think I've seen them humiliated, given criticisms yeah, and definitely support.

    also, this. Considering the table flipping that goes on at the local McDonald's, I would say these kids are offered good advice and criticism- actual criticism, not high school art teacher level meltdowns.

    That said it can get ugly quickly, and we never know what's going on behind closed doors or even the camera is off. Still, mommy dearest/the Gary Coleman story is an autobiography and a look at poor mental health with respect to ones children, not a how to guide. It's best not to use that as a base for judgement.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
    Freehold DM wrote:
    captain yesterday wrote:

    Those are all stage kids, shame on those piece of s&*# parents for doing that to their kids.

    Truly, the worst of humanity.

    I don't know. I was almost one, and have worked with a stage mother and former model before, professionally. It's a trade, like any other, and there's going to be bad times and worse people in it. But I would argue that's true anywhere. Calling someone awful because they are doing something you wouldn't(especially the worst of humanity) is a bit much.

    Point taken. Too strong! I concede, good sir. :-)


    2 people marked this as a favorite.

    Enjoy your blizzard Freehold, you earned it!.


    3 people marked this as a favorite.

    Been through some tough times. Deadlines on assignments creep in, bank account's nearly dry after a dentist bill, and roommate still fumbles with his own money as usual.

    I'm trying to manage it all without stressing out.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    It is GLORIOUS


    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
    Icyshadow wrote:

    Been through some tough times. Deadlines on assignments creep in, bank account's nearly dry after a dentist bill, and roommate still fumbles with his own money as usual.

    I'm trying to manage it all without stressing out.

    Sorry man, I know how that is! We're pretty tapped out ourselves and I still have to swing paying for two field trips (to the opera (or the Midwest equivalent, if you prefer) and laser tag, so not cheap).

    Chin up, you'll find a way to pull through. :-)


    3 people marked this as a favorite.

    How many poops and/or vomits from other people did TL have to clean up today?

    Five. Five poops and/or vomits from other people.

    They were little people, sure, but that does not minimize the size of mess they can make.

    At least my wife was able to escape to work.

    >.<


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    Six, now. Six. Seven. Eight.

    >:|

    EDIT: DAGGUMMIT, HOW IS THERE THIS MUCH STUFF INSIDE SOMEONE WHO WOULD LITERALLY FIT IN MY TORSO.

    I don't have this much stuff in me! I know, as I got well acquainted with exactly how much fits inside of me not too long ago, when it kept coming out...

    At least he's not unhappy about anything, but daggum, kid, can we not have the most horrifically stinky poop yet today for, I don't know, an hour? Sounds nice, yeah?


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
    Tacticslion wrote:

    How many poops and/or vomits from other people did TL have to clean up today?

    Five. Five poops and/or vomits from other people.

    They were little people, sure, but that does not minimize the size of mess they can make.

    At least my wife was able to escape to work.

    >.<

    If anything, the smaller the person the bigger the mess. Sorry! Welcome to my last week and a half. I'd tell you it gets better, but that won't help you, and I'm all pooped out. :-)

    Perhaps if I smurf myself, that might help.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    I understand well, my dude. I understand well.

    I'm sorry for what you've been through, too.


    2 people marked this as a favorite.

    All I'm going to say is, "Just wait until one of them commits such an atrocity that you have to throw out your favorite chair."

    I really really miss that chair!


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

    I don't get attached to furniture.

    Once you've lived through a flea infestation everything becomes expendable.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    Ah, my plans for self-wellness are going along splendidly!

    This morning I felt like ranting political quite a bit. Yet there are mysteriously no political threads on Paizo (thank you, "Hide Thread" functionality!). So I kept my mouth shut.

    And I am a better man for it.


    NobodysHome wrote:

    All I'm going to say is, "Just wait until one of them commits such an atrocity that you have to throw out your favorite chair."

    I really really miss that chair!

    We've had several near-misses already, and quite a large number of... "incidents" therein. Technically it's my "wife's" chair (it's the one she claims and sits on when home... though it's also Grandpa's chair, whenever he visits, but she doesn't tell him and simply defers from respect), but it's also both boys' favorite chair.

    Dang it.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    So, here's an interesting question for technical and non-technical people alike, as I'm honestly curious.

    We have a guy who's updating one of our courses, and he's supposedly got a decent technical background. He's testing the old labs, and he gets an error message: "You do not have permission to use the securityContext function here."

    So he throws up his hands, gives up, and declares to us that the environment is broken.

    So I got assigned to "fix" the environment, verified the error message, brought up the expression builder (a simple one-click tool), and it says, "The new call is getSecurityContext()."

    Am I out of line for expecting a technical guy updating a technical course to be able to click ONE BUTTON to verify the function call instead of handing all the work off to me?

    I swear, a 90-second debug that cost me 35 minutes because I had to do all the preliminary work to set up the bug in the first place...


    3 people marked this as a favorite.
    Rysky wrote:

    Okay, I now have a (currently airing) food/cooking related show I actively despise.

    Cooks vs "Cons"

    I find the show's premise fallacious, at best. If you can prepare meals, you are a cook, whether you do it professionally or at home.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Tacticslion wrote:

    How many poops and/or vomits from other people did TL have to clean up today?

    Five. Five poops and/or vomits from other people.

    They were little people, sure, but that does not minimize the size of mess they can make.

    At least my wife was able to escape to work.

    >.<

    Dear God man, what happened?


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    NobodysHome wrote:

    So, here's an interesting question for technical and non-technical people alike, as I'm honestly curious.

    We have a guy who's updating one of our courses, and he's supposedly got a decent technical background. He's testing the old labs, and he gets an error message: "You do not have permission to use the securityContext function here."

    So he throws up his hands, gives up, and declares to us that the environment is broken.

    So I got assigned to "fix" the environment, verified the error message, brought up the expression builder (a simple one-click tool), and it says, "The new call is getSecurityContext()."

    Am I out of line for expecting a technical guy updating a technical course to be able to click ONE BUTTON to verify the function call instead of handing all the work off to me?

    I swear, a 90-second debug that cost me 35 minutes because I had to do all the preliminary work to set up the bug in the first place...

    no idea. I am not technical.

    Silver Crusade

    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
    John Napier 698 wrote:
    Rysky wrote:

    Okay, I now have a (currently airing) food/cooking related show I actively despise.

    Cooks vs "Cons"

    I find the show's premise fallacious, at best. If you can prepare meals, you are a cook, whether you do it professionally or at home.

    *nods*

    Hence the rant.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Rysky wrote:
    John Napier 698 wrote:
    Rysky wrote:

    Okay, I now have a (currently airing) food/cooking related show I actively despise.

    Cooks vs "Cons"

    I find the show's premise fallacious, at best. If you can prepare meals, you are a cook, whether you do it professionally or at home.

    *nods*

    Hence the rant.

    A clear case of writers and producers with far too much time on their hands.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    NobodysHome wrote:

    So, here's an interesting question for technical and non-technical people alike, as I'm honestly curious.

    We have a guy who's updating one of our courses, and he's supposedly got a decent technical background. He's testing the old labs, and he gets an error message: "You do not have permission to use the securityContext function here."

    So he throws up his hands, gives up, and declares to us that the environment is broken.

    So I got assigned to "fix" the environment, verified the error message, brought up the expression builder (a simple one-click tool), and it says, "The new call is getSecurityContext()."

    Am I out of line for expecting a technical guy updating a technical course to be able to click ONE BUTTON to verify the function call instead of handing all the work off to me?

    I swear, a 90-second debug that cost me 35 minutes because I had to do all the preliminary work to set up the bug in the first place...

    No, you aren't out of line. If you're testing in Windows ( and the function does sound like it's a part of the Windows API ) then the person doing the testing should be knowledgeable in the API calls, should know how to use the available debuggers, and etc. This person sounds like he oversold himself on his capabilities. I, however, would take the opportunity to educate him, so that he may be a more proficient colleague.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    John Napier 698 wrote:
    No, you aren't out of line. If you're testing in Windows ( and the function does sound like it's a part of the Windows API ) then the person doing the testing should be knowledgeable in the API calls, should know how to use the available debuggers, and etc. This person sounds like he oversold himself on his capabilities. I, however, would take the opportunity to educate him, so that he may be a more proficient colleague.

    Yep. Pretty much what I did. "You're using labs that are using the old API. Here's how to find the new calls," with steps and screenshots.

    Hopefully that'll fix the issue.

    But it's just one of the frustrations here at Global Megacorp: They tell us they don't have the resources to let us hire new people, then they assign us "really technically-savvy people" from other departments, and the "really technically-savvy people" promptly demonstrate that if things don't work exactly as-written, it's panic time.


    3 people marked this as a favorite.
    Freehold DM wrote:
    NobodysHome wrote:

    So, here's an interesting question for technical and non-technical people alike, as I'm honestly curious.

    We have a guy who's updating one of our courses, and he's supposedly got a decent technical background. He's testing the old labs, and he gets an error message: "You do not have permission to use the securityContext function here."

    So he throws up his hands, gives up, and declares to us that the environment is broken.

    So I got assigned to "fix" the environment, verified the error message, brought up the expression builder (a simple one-click tool), and it says, "The new call is getSecurityContext()."

    Am I out of line for expecting a technical guy updating a technical course to be able to click ONE BUTTON to verify the function call instead of handing all the work off to me?

    I swear, a 90-second debug that cost me 35 minutes because I had to do all the preliminary work to set up the bug in the first place...

    no idea. I am not technical.

    Yeah, that story is 90% gibberish to me so I've no idea how much a decently-technical guy can be expected to know.


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    NobodysHome wrote:
    John Napier 698 wrote:
    No, you aren't out of line. If you're testing in Windows ( and the function does sound like it's a part of the Windows API ) then the person doing the testing should be knowledgeable in the API calls, should know how to use the available debuggers, and etc. This person sounds like he oversold himself on his capabilities. I, however, would take the opportunity to educate him, so that he may be a more proficient colleague.

    Yep. Pretty much what I did. "You're using labs that are using the old API. Here's how to find the new calls," with steps and screenshots.

    Hopefully that'll fix the issue.

    But it's just one of the frustrations here at Global Megacorp: They tell us they don't have the resources to let us hire new people, then they assign us "really technically-savvy people" from other departments, and the "really technically-savvy people" promptly demonstrate that if things don't work exactly as-written, it's panic time.

    My condolences. :)


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    Tequila Sunrise wrote:
    Freehold DM wrote:
    NobodysHome wrote:

    So, here's an interesting question for technical and non-technical people alike, as I'm honestly curious.

    We have a guy who's updating one of our courses, and he's supposedly got a decent technical background. He's testing the old labs, and he gets an error message: "You do not have permission to use the securityContext function here."

    So he throws up his hands, gives up, and declares to us that the environment is broken.

    So I got assigned to "fix" the environment, verified the error message, brought up the expression builder (a simple one-click tool), and it says, "The new call is getSecurityContext()."

    Am I out of line for expecting a technical guy updating a technical course to be able to click ONE BUTTON to verify the function call instead of handing all the work off to me?

    I swear, a 90-second debug that cost me 35 minutes because I had to do all the preliminary work to set up the bug in the first place...

    no idea. I am not technical.
    Yeah, that story is 90% gibberish to me so I've no idea how much a decently-technical guy can be expected to know.

    That question is a general programming problem. Don't worry about it. Isn't everyone that there are programmers that frequent the boards?

    Wow. Post number "1234." Good thing I choose better passwords. :)


    Freehold DM wrote:
    Tacticslion wrote:

    How many poops and/or vomits from other people did TL have to clean up today?

    Five. Five poops and/or vomits from other people.

    They were little people, sure, but that does not minimize the size of mess they can make.

    At least my wife was able to escape to work.

    >.<

    Dear God man, what happened?

    "Children"


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Tacticslion wrote:
    Freehold DM wrote:
    Tacticslion wrote:

    How many poops and/or vomits from other people did TL have to clean up today?

    Five. Five poops and/or vomits from other people.

    They were little people, sure, but that does not minimize the size of mess they can make.

    At least my wife was able to escape to work.

    >.<

    Dear God man, what happened?
    "Children"

    ~horrified look~ You have an infestation of "children"? How do you handle it? You had better call an exterminator quick!


    2 people marked this as a favorite.

    Life extention - Isaac Arthur

    You know what that would mean? ~cheers~ I get to procrastinate even more!!!


    Freehold DM wrote:
    Tacticslion wrote:

    How many poops and/or vomits from other people did TL have to clean up today?

    Five. Five poops and/or vomits from other people.

    They were little people, sure, but that does not minimize the size of mess they can make.

    At least my wife was able to escape to work.

    >.<

    Dear God man, what happened?

    I really don't think you want this gross, but if you really want...:
    Quips aside, last week my youngest got the stomach flu or something. Than I did. Then my wife did (she recovered yesterday enough to go into work today). It seems to have gone right back around to my youngest skipping my eldest, as of today.

    So technically, it was only one other person. Sort of. Kind of.

    See, the youngest vomited on top of the eldest (who was in the youngest's room way too early), so I was woken by a panicking wife who'd slept a little too late anyway, who suddenly had exactly zero time to deal with the literal mess.

    It was startling enough to, well, scare the literal crap out of my eldest. He was, fortunately, in a pull-up (we still use those as a night-night safety measure), but that was kind of a deal I had to help clean up in the shower as well. And so was the horrendously smelly poop that my youngest produced when he was terrified that I was going to put him into the shower. Which I did, of course, but not before cleaning him. Immediately after cleaning him, came another poop in a diaper on the way to the shower - this one on me. I cleaned him again, and had to clean up his room and my clothes and his clothes and so on. Too bad that while I was cleaning up after him, he had to poop all over the shower and his older brother that was in their with him. So I joined and washed myself and both of them, only for vomit central! My youngest once again eructed onto my eldest, though this time it was just light chunks and water. Finish cleaning that, and two more large poops on both of us. Finish cleaning aaaaallll that up... and he was done. For thirty minutes.

    Either way, that was enough to get him back in a new diaper and my eldest (now very late) to school (he was feeling fine, aside from a cough and a very unpleasant morning), so we talked to the teacher and she let him come in, so long as it wasn't him vomiting.

    Anyway, the last three were diapers of various sizes, but overall a very smelly and very impressive amount. Also green. I... I just... I don't know.

    153,301 to 153,350 of 232,622 << first < prev | 3062 | 3063 | 3064 | 3065 | 3066 | 3067 | 3068 | 3069 | 3070 | 3071 | 3072 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.