Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

144,651 to 144,700 of 243,622 << first < prev | 2889 | 2890 | 2891 | 2892 | 2893 | 2894 | 2895 | 2896 | 2897 | 2898 | 2899 | next > last >>

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Chris Hemsworth was my first instinct, but then I remembered about how he was stoked about his weight loss and working out, and about how the went to "Disneyland" and the WiFi was "out"

Coincidence? Maybe.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

There appears to be a clothes thief in the Pillow Fort.

Stuffed Big Red T-Rex will find them...


4 people marked this as a favorite.

OK. OK. One of the imps is "named after" him.

In the sense that NobodysWife was throwing names at me, and I was shooting them all down, then she thought of Brendan Fraser (she had a little mini-crush on him back in his Mummy/Monkeybone days), and I realized I'd never met a Brendan I didn't like.

Hence, one of the imps is named "Brendan", (sort of) after Brendan Fraser.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I've seen worse naming methods. Way worse.

I personally know three people that named their kid Nimrod.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:

I've seen worse naming methods. Way worse.

I personally know three people that named their kid Nimrod.

who does that?

Grand Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Either a religious parent or a comics nerd.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Swedish people (it is an uncommon name there) knew a guy named Nimrod in Seattle, was going to name his son after him. But mostly strung out punk a$!@%!*s that listened to entirely too much Green Day (the other two kids named Nimrod)

I also knew a kid named Kermit because his parents insisted on naming all their kids with K names, but had too many kids and drank entirely too much and so they named their last kid Kermit.

However, he followed the Johnny Cash Law of embarrassing names and is a huge bad ass.

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.
TriOmegaZero wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:
I apologized for nothing, once.
My wife apologized after bumping into the vacuum cleaner.

My dad once bumped into a mirror at a restaurant an apologized to his reflection.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
TriOmegaZero wrote:
Either a religious parent or a comics nerd.

Or fans of Edward Elgar.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:

I've seen worse naming methods. Way worse.

I personally know three people that named their kid Nimrod.

who does that?

I know, right?

...Dookie was a much better album.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Fun fact: the name Nimrod predates the insult by thousands of years. It's in the Bible. Not much is said about him, other than he was mighty.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Turns out it was Monkey Puzzle Tree, not Monkey Bone.

I'm still going with Monkey Bone though.

Maybe...


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

For Skull and Shackles, 4 characters, 0 suits of armor.

Undine Sorcerer (aquatic bloodline)
Lashunta Pyrokineticist
Vanara Rogue (pirate archetype)
Human Druid (tempest druid)


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Also the Undine Sorcerer is a hardcore worshipper of Besmara and sees herself as a sort of Greenpeace protector for Sea monsters.


5 people marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:

Turns out it was Monkey Puzzle Tree, not Monkey Bone.

I'm still going with Monkey Bone though.

Maybe...

Monkey bone sounds like a good idea, until they tell you you can never go back to the zoo...


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Think I'm going with Monkey Puzzle.

Might need to work on the avatar image, but this'll do.

For now...


2 people marked this as a favorite.

As much as I love Brendab Frasier (and I'm unsure how, exactly, I managed to misspell his babe in the first place, considering I know it well via Mummy films and Blast from the Past), ignoring Monkeybone is probably for the best. :)


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
As much as I love Brendab Frasier (and I'm unsure how, exactly, I managed to misspell his babe in the first place, considering I know it well via Mummy films and Blast from the Past), ignoring Monkeybone is probably for the best. :)

This was 44 minutes ago. So I could edit it and save face. But this is legendary enough that I think I'll leave my error as a monument to doofiness and poor spelling on phones - twice in this post - for all to see.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I saw that but wanted to remain quiet until it was too far gone to edit. The fact you did as well is awesome.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
As much as I love Brendab Frasier (and I'm unsure how, exactly, I managed to misspell his babe in the first place, considering I know it well via Mummy films and Blast from the Past), ignoring Monkeybone is probably for the best. :)

Looks like somebody had a case of the Mondays. ^-^


1 person marked this as a favorite.

NobodysHome pet driving peeve #184 (yeah, it's pretty far down there, but it's still a "peeve":

  • At a 4-way stop, the guy in front of you stops, then craaaaaawls into the intersection, apparently totally unaware that there's a gas pedal in his/her car.
  • You have plenty of time to pull up to the stop sign and stop while this spineless terror rider creeps across the intersection, petrified that some unknown threat will pounce on them from above while they spend 20 seconds to clear the intersection.
  • While you're waiting your turn, because you don't want to be bumper-to-bumper with this invertebrate, a car comes along perpendicularly. You were there first. You were obviously there first. But the guy going the same direction as you is STILL in the intersection.
  • So as soon as "slow guy" clears, the guy in the perpendicular lane goes and cuts you off. Because, y'know, your side already HAD a turn!
  • It doesn't matter that my guy is slow. Stop signs are still, "First come, first served."

    Grr....


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    NobodysHome wrote:

    NobodysHome pet driving peeve #184 (yeah, it's pretty far down there, but it's still a "peeve":

  • At a 4-way stop, the guy in front of you stops, then craaaaaawls into the intersection, apparently totally unaware that there's a gas pedal in his/her car.
  • You have plenty of time to pull up to the stop sign and stop while this spineless terror rider creeps across the intersection, petrified that some unknown threat will pounce on them from above while they spend 20 seconds to clear the intersection.
  • While you're waiting your turn, because you don't want to be bumper-to-bumper with this invertebrate, a car comes along perpendicularly. You were there first. You were obviously there first. But the guy going the same direction as you is STILL in the intersection.
  • So as soon as "slow guy" clears, the guy in the perpendicular lane goes and cuts you off. Because, y'know, your side already HAD a turn!
  • It doesn't matter that my guy is slow. Stop signs are still, "First come, first served."

    Grr....

    maybe it's because of where I live, but if you don't take your time at 4ways, you'll be meeting someone very soon in a way you don't expect.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    My favorite is people blocking the crosswalk with their cars. Happens every time I walk anywhere.

    Also, I hate car centric planning. Literally across the street from where I'm working in Alameda is Burger Place I Want. In San Francisco, I could get there in three minutes. Here, it takes ten, because pedestrian crossings are so bloody hard to get to, almost like they were an afterthought.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Rosita the Riveter wrote:
    My favorite is people blocking the crosswalk with their cars. Happens every time I walk anywhere.

    Yeah. You have to love sitting there just in front of a clearly posted-and-painted "Keep Clear" area, only to have the guy behind you start leaning on the horn because you *gasp* had the audacity to NOT block the clearly-marked intersection or crosswalk...


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    Freehold DM wrote:
    NobodysHome wrote:

    NobodysHome pet driving peeve #184 (yeah, it's pretty far down there, but it's still a "peeve":

  • At a 4-way stop, the guy in front of you stops, then craaaaaawls into the intersection, apparently totally unaware that there's a gas pedal in his/her car.
  • You have plenty of time to pull up to the stop sign and stop while this spineless terror rider creeps across the intersection, petrified that some unknown threat will pounce on them from above while they spend 20 seconds to clear the intersection.
  • While you're waiting your turn, because you don't want to be bumper-to-bumper with this invertebrate, a car comes along perpendicularly. You were there first. You were obviously there first. But the guy going the same direction as you is STILL in the intersection.
  • So as soon as "slow guy" clears, the guy in the perpendicular lane goes and cuts you off. Because, y'know, your side already HAD a turn!
  • It doesn't matter that my guy is slow. Stop signs are still, "First come, first served."

    Grr....

    maybe it's because of where I live, but if you don't take your time at 4ways, you'll be meeting someone very soon in a way you don't expect.

    I don't mind "caution", but I'm talking a good 10 seconds to clear the intersection. That goes beyond "caution" into "paranoid". Even then, I don't get TOO mad at the driver who does it. It's the people at the cross-intersection who ignore your right of way because the guy in front of you is too slow...

    EDIT: As I've posted before, I'm a firm believer in "right of way", whether you be pedestrian, bicycle, or car, and most collisions can be directly attributed to someone improperly impinging on right-of-way. So I get uppity about it. The letter of the law? I've known lawyers, so I'm a little less-than-thrilled with letter-of-the-law interpretations.
    Roll through a stop sign when you have 500' of visibility and can conclusively prove that no one else is around? Meh. Roll through a stop sign when you can see another car/pedestrian/bicycle/vehicle? Nail that man to the wall!


    4 people marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

    I've found not living on the west coast helps with avoiding all that.

    Just gotta dodge drunk drivers, deer, cows, the Amish, drunk drivers, deer , and another cow.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    Damned if making my setting's Fantasy Counterpart United States Army use the British Regimental System isn't fun. The 32nd Bay Area Volunteers is way more interesting than the First Infantry Division

    Yes, we have a Bay Area, except Perides [Totally Oakland] is much bigger and the state capital. Valetta (San Francisco) extends further down the peninsula and is denser.


    4 people marked this as a favorite.

    First time booting a player today. Was difficult because he was our host and now we need to move to a game shop. I don't want to get into the details of why. It was personal and not game related, and I just don't want to be around that person anymore for unrepentantly being a jerk.

    I've left groups for players I don't get along with and had a person leave before for a similar reason with me, but this is the first time I gave someone the boot as GM. I'm not happy it went down like that, but I would have left the group if I were a player, so I think I made the right choice.

    Still...I'm not happy. I dislike conflict, personally, despite my brash writing/speaking style.


    4 people marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

    You... wanna fight over that... sorry! I've had a conflicty kind of day as well, so i can relate. :-)

    Remember, *deep breath* *peaceful thoughts* *smash! bang! thump!*

    Straightens hair

    See, now don't you feel better. :-)


    3 people marked this as a favorite.

    You're cool CY. You don't mull over problems, but choose to distract from them with silliness or humor instead, both in yourself and for others. That's got to be emotionally more healthy.


    4 people marked this as a favorite.

    Yeah, that's always the problem. It's frequently easy to KNOW the right thing to do. But when the right thing to do is to directly confront another person, it's hard, no matter how big of a jerk they are.

    Congrats on getting through it!


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    Rosita the Riveter wrote:

    Damned if making my setting's Fantasy Counterpart United States Army use the British Regimental System isn't fun. The 32nd Bay Area Volunteers is way more interesting than the First Infantry Division

    Yes, we have a Bay Area, except Perides [Totally Oakland] is much bigger and the state capital. Valetta (San Francisco) extends further down the peninsula and is denser.

    Try doing what they did before they started numbering regiments and name them after their colonels, if you fancy a change...


    2 people marked this as a favorite.

    The 23rd Yesterday regiment was truly ahead of it's time.

    Alas, nobody remembers those that show up for battle a day early and spend the battle celebrating their already assumed victory.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
    thegreenteagamer wrote:
    You're cool CY. You don't mull over problems, but choose to distract from them with silliness or humor instead, both in yourself and for others. That's got to be emotionally more healthy.

    Humor is a great way to cope with life. It doesn't always work, and there's times where it's difficult to see the lighter side, but thankfully as i get older those times become more infrequent, and lord knows i can drive my wife crazy. :-)

    I honestly don't know what i'd do without humor, i probably wouldn't be here today. :-)

    FaWtL is my therapist.


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    captain yesterday wrote:
    thegreenteagamer wrote:
    You're cool CY. You don't mull over problems, but choose to distract from them with silliness or humor instead, both in yourself and for others. That's got to be emotionally more healthy.

    Humor is a great way to cope with life. It doesn't always work, and there's times where it's difficult to see the lighter side, but thankfully as i get older those times become more infrequent, and lord knows i can drive my wife crazy. :-)

    I honestly don't know what i'd do without humor, i probably wouldn't be here today. :-)

    FaWtL is my therapist.

    The bill is in the mail.


    5 people marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

    Oh, I don't open my mail.

    Too many bills. :-)


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

    How do I cope with a stressful day, when nothing else helps.

    I drive. Anywhere, town, rush hour, country, snowing. None of that matters, as soon as I get behind the wheel all the stress and anxiety and anger all starts to melt away.

    Today was one of those days.


    4 people marked this as a favorite.
    captain yesterday wrote:

    Oh, I don't open my mail.

    Too many bills. :-)

    It's the male ducks. They're after you...


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    Limeylongears wrote:
    Rosita the Riveter wrote:

    Damned if making my setting's Fantasy Counterpart United States Army use the British Regimental System isn't fun. The 32nd Bay Area Volunteers is way more interesting than the First Infantry Division

    Yes, we have a Bay Area, except Perides [Totally Oakland] is much bigger and the state capital. Valetta (San Francisco) extends further down the peninsula and is denser.

    Try doing what they did before they started numbering regiments and name them after their colonels, if you fancy a change...

    I like the regional names, especially the British "system". I don't find using colonels as interesting, because it changes too much. Under the regimental system, a unit becomes an institution with its own history seperate of the Army itself. It's colourful, which is ideal for fantasy. Changing the name every new colonel breaks that history somewhat.

    Also sets up a difference between the Army and the Marines. A soldier typically identifies with regiment first and foremost, and their performance is a reflection on their regiment more than the Army, with a lot of competition between regiments. Also, regiments are recruited from a specific region or state, not the nation as a whole.

    Conversely, Marines are Marines first and foremost (the Corps is colourful enough on its own), and recruits from all over the nation are mixed together. Units are numbered instead of names specifically to avoid strong regimental associations that would vie with loyalty to the Corps itself.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    NobodysHome wrote:
    captain yesterday wrote:

    Oh, I don't open my mail.

    Too many bills. :-)

    It's the male ducks. They're after you...

    Puts fake lipstick covered duck Bill on vacuum cleaner, hooks it up to outlet on a motion sensor, puts it in front of the main gate to the Pillow Fort.

    Oh I'll be ready, those a$@@%!!s aren't making it past my countermeasures.


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    King Yesterday of Pillowpia wrote:
    NobodysHome wrote:
    captain yesterday wrote:

    Oh, I don't open my mail.

    Too many bills. :-)

    It's the male ducks. They're after you...

    Puts fake lipstick covered duck Bill on vacuum cleaner, hooks it up to outlet on a motion sensor, puts it in front of the main gate to the Pillow Fort.

    Oh I'll be ready, those a&%$&%*s aren't making it past my countermeasures.

    I'm surprised more male ducks aren't sommeliers.

    {waggles nonexistent eyebrows at vacuum} Hello Ms. Dyson, with the proper-amount-of-suction... How you doin'?


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    I'm surprised more male ducks aren't bottle washers, they sure like f@*&ing them.


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    King Yesterday of Pillowpia wrote:
    Oh I'll be ready, those a$$!+!#s aren't making it past my countermeasures.

    *wanders into pillow fort, burrows under cushions*

    Fnort!


    2 people marked this as a favorite.

    Watched pilot for Fear The Walking Dead.

    Maybe they would've stopped the eventual sparkly teenage emotionally complex zombiepocalypse if they found a more efficient method of taking out the zombies other then repeatedly running them over with a truck.

    Just saying.


    3 people marked this as a favorite.

    Thats the funniest thing out of BBC News in forever.


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    Rosita the Riveter wrote:
    Thats the funniest thing out of BBC News in forever.

    Kayak flare duel? Sounds normal to me.


    5 people marked this as a favorite.

    Project k2 finished, but it spawned unexpected (by me) projects k5 and k-sw... They will be very tiny, but hey, it's still more writing designing to do!


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    Also, I managed to get to bed in the evenings of Monday and Tuesday while waking up on inane reasonable for normal working people hours on Tuesday and Wednesday... Then I ended napping between 5 pm and 8 pm on Wednesday and the whole attempt to get my sleep under control crashed down. I went to bed past 2 am and managed to snooze a bit, though with lots of wake ups and probably missing the proper three sleep phases in cycles. I got up past 5 am. Sit for some time, tried to get back to sleep past 8 but it was a futile attempt. Now I am up and going to shop to get something to eat.

    I can't nap today because tomorrow I have dentist appointment at 10:45... Which means that I should get some actual sleep in the night.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Mater Slaad wrote:
    Rosita the Riveter wrote:
    Thats the funniest thing out of BBC News in forever.
    Kayak flare duel? Sounds normal to me.

    I used to live near there (Bovington Tank Museum was one of my favourite places to visit as a tiny, psychopathic tot). And yes, it is normal, for Dorset.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    NobodysHome wrote:
    Freehold DM wrote:
    NobodysHome wrote:

    NobodysHome pet driving peeve #184 (yeah, it's pretty far down there, but it's still a "peeve":

  • At a 4-way stop, the guy in front of you stops, then craaaaaawls into the intersection, apparently totally unaware that there's a gas pedal in his/her car.
  • You have plenty of time to pull up to the stop sign and stop while this spineless terror rider creeps across the intersection, petrified that some unknown threat will pounce on them from above while they spend 20 seconds to clear the intersection.
  • While you're waiting your turn, because you don't want to be bumper-to-bumper with this invertebrate, a car comes along perpendicularly. You were there first. You were obviously there first. But the guy going the same direction as you is STILL in the intersection.
  • So as soon as "slow guy" clears, the guy in the perpendicular lane goes and cuts you off. Because, y'know, your side already HAD a turn!
  • It doesn't matter that my guy is slow. Stop signs are still, "First come, first served."

    Grr....

    maybe it's because of where I live, but if you don't take your time at 4ways, you'll be meeting someone very soon in a way you don't expect.

    I don't mind "caution", but I'm talking a good 10 seconds to clear the intersection. That goes beyond "caution" into "paranoid". Even then, I don't get TOO mad at the driver who does it. It's the people at the cross-intersection who ignore your right of way because the guy in front of you is too slow...

    EDIT: As I've posted before, I'm a firm believer in "right of way", whether you be pedestrian, bicycle, or car, and most collisions can be directly attributed to someone improperly impinging on right-of-way. So I get uppity about it. The letter of the law? I've known lawyers, so I'm a little less-than-thrilled with letter-of-the-law interpretations.
    Roll through a stop sign when you have 500' of visibility and can conclusively prove that no one else is around? Meh. Roll through a stop sign when you can see another car/pedestrian/bicycle/vehicle? Nail that man to the wall!

    I have just two things to say.

    First people get a bit crazy at 4 way stops so I usually just let the other guy go if I suspect he wants it more than me. Waiting a couple seconds longer is worth avoiding the "he said vs she said" argument in front of the cop.

    Secondly enforcement is pure police whim. Which means if you want to avoid tickets LOOK white, male, white collar, middle aged, and wealthy. They will let you do anything you want, if just to avoid your lawyer. Avoid LOOKING black, female, young, blue collar, or poor. Since they assume you don't have the means or will to fight back against the ticket. Easy money.

    I rolled through a 4 way stop once at a corner near where I used to live at 3am when I was the ONLY car as far as I could see. The cop who was hiding behind a closed convenience store was all over me in seconds. But I was a female driving a Neon. While at the same intersection with the same cop around 4pm with plenty of other traffic (the cop was part of the other traffic and waiting his turn at the stop in question just ahead of me) and he watched a slightly older male in a BMW blow through the stop and ignored it.

    144,651 to 144,700 of 243,622 << first < prev | 2889 | 2890 | 2891 | 2892 | 2893 | 2894 | 2895 | 2896 | 2897 | 2898 | 2899 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.