Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

140,751 to 140,800 of 238,353 << first < prev | 2811 | 2812 | 2813 | 2814 | 2815 | 2816 | 2817 | 2818 | 2819 | 2820 | 2821 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Anyway, I'm just pissed at him because he got so drunk he couldn't wake up the next day, missed work with a no-call, no-show, and got fired - and it was a damn good job. Head of an entire department.

He's also been thrown in jail for DUI twice, and that didn't make him change his ways or even try to quit once, even after having no license for years. Now he just doesn't drink and drive, which admittedly is an improvement, but it's like being taller than a dwarf, it doesn't exactly make you tall.

...and now I'm naked, and you can see EXACTLY how angry I am.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Bro! No one wants to see that anger!


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Aranna wrote:
lynora wrote:
This has been one of those days. The ones where I find myself having the not so internal debate about chocolate. As in, if I eat this chocolate, it will be bad for my blood sugar. If I don't eat this chocolate, it will be bad for my mental health. I think we all know how that debate ended. It was delicious.
Switch to dark chocolate, it has far less sugar and a lot more of the stuff that makes it good for your body, mind and soul. Plus it tastes even richer.

Nope. Nope, nope and more nope. I'm better off with milk chocolate that has nuts in it to balance things out a bit. I do not like eating chalk even if it is chocolate flavored. Unless I'm really, really desperate.

(I go through phases when it comes to chocolate. A few years ago I would have agreed and ate dark chocolate exclusively. Nothing under 70% cacao. And then it started tasting really, really bad to me. Just so dry. I'm sure I'll come back around to it eventually, but not anytime soon.)

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
thegreenteagamer wrote:


I know the AMA defines it as a disease, but unlike foreign pathogens or genetic disorders, one is self-inflicted... the disease itself is the predisposition for it to happen. For all I know, I probably would be alcoholic too - it's why I don't drink.

I am glad that it never sunk it's claws into you, It messed with me for almost 30 years...But I'm free now


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Redbeard the Scruffy wrote:

Why do children of alcoholics, who grow up seeing how their parents' lives are ruined by alcohol, start drinking? Especially when they have an older brother who constantly warns them that alcoholism is strongly genetic?

In other news, I sometimes really hate my brother.

You'd be amazed at just how insidious it is.

For me, I almost never drank -- maybe once a month, at most -- until I was in my 30's. Then I started gaming with some people. Who then had some VERY annoying kids. I found that having a rum & coke before seeing their kids took the edge off of having to deal with them.

After that, the slope goes downhill FAST.

Bad day at work? Have a rum & coke! Stressful weekend of GM'ing? Have a rum & coke!

Within a year I'd gone from 1-2 drinks a month to 3-4 drinks a day.

And I didn't notice it happening.

And once you're addicted, it's harder to stop than you could imagine. "Just saying no" is very much akin to the classic "perfect diet":
(1) Eat less.
(2) Exercise more.

EVERYONE knows it. Virtually no one can follow through on it.

So I understand how one becomes an alcoholic, and how hard it is to break free.

But drinking so much you miss a day of work? I'm afraid I've never gone that far, so I can't relate to that one.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I don't think I would be so angry with him if he even TRIED to stop. He doesn't want to. He never even went as far as trying by himself, let alone going to meetings and stuff. He went from out of jail to "for a little while I'm not going to drink as much" - and never even stopped. I mean, two DUIs has to be a sign, right?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I once skipped work to get some shrooms but I was 18 and I called in.

Of course, when you call in on shrooms, you're better off not calling in at all.

Luckily, I worked hard and otherwise had a spotless record, so I just got a warning.

Also I spent the next three months cleaning out the basement.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
Hm... maybe, "and with your spirit" is the new one?

It isn't a new one, actually. It's the direct translation of Latin formula "et cum spiritu tuo". It's just that English were creative in their translation and only recently Roman Catholic Church issued the correction.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
TriOmegaZero wrote:
What? The church made a change? I don't know how to handle that.

Don't sweat. It was just a correction to a translation error not an actual change.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

And people b+$~+ about how long the ACG errata took.

*perspective*


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Redbeard the Scruffy wrote:

Why do children of alcoholics, who grow up seeing how their parents' lives are ruined by alcohol, start drinking? Especially when they have an older brother who constantly warns them that alcoholism is strongly genetic?

In other news, I sometimes really hate my brother.

It's quite common, regretfully. Social conditioning is a terrible terrible thing. Lots of children of alcoholics either turn to drinking or going teetotaler. I didn't drink alcohol at all until 24 or 25 because I was afraid of turning alcoholic (and aggressive drunk) myself. I drink occasionally when in company now (the fact that I even started trying alcohol is generally fault of multiple women offering me alcohol and different occasions), but only for taste and not the buzz which I dislike (and nausea even more, so I usually stop drinking when I feel I had enough, and I feel it quite early).


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
Redbeard the Scruffy wrote:

Why do children of alcoholics, who grow up seeing how their parents' lives are ruined by alcohol, start drinking? Especially when they have an older brother who constantly warns them that alcoholism is strongly genetic?

In other news, I sometimes really hate my brother.

You'd be amazed at just how insidious it is.

For me, I almost never drank -- maybe once a month, at most -- until I was in my 30's. Then I started gaming with some people. Who then had some VERY annoying kids. I found that having a rum & coke before seeing their kids took the edge off of having to deal with them.

After that, the slope goes downhill FAST.

Bad day at work? Have a rum & coke! Stressful weekend of GM'ing? Have a rum & coke!

Within a year I'd gone from 1-2 drinks a month to 3-4 drinks a day.

And I didn't notice it happening.

And once you're addicted, it's harder to stop than you could imagine. "Just saying no" is very much akin to the classic "perfect diet":
(1) Eat less.
(2) Exercise more.

EVERYONE knows it. Virtually no one can follow through on it.

So I understand how one becomes an alcoholic, and how hard it is to break free.

But drinking so much you miss a day of work? I'm afraid I've never gone that far, so I can't relate to that one.

I would argue the only thing more insidious than alcohol is nicotine. Incredibly subtle. To my knowledge only crystal meth is worse, but that's due to a number of factors that I'm not going to go into right now.

I drink on occasion, partially due to a combination of a teetotal youth and a lot of lies about alcohol being proven either completely untrue or untrue in my case. I have been truly drunk maybe ten times total in life. FAWTL has been here for 7 of those times.


Oh! RPG! is on sale on Steam right now, and, having played the first chapter alone, I can tell you all: it's worth it, if you can get it! It's... surprisingly good! There are funy parts, and intriguing parts, and compelling parts, too. I've only done the first cahpter, but it's definitely worth the (current) two-dollar price tag.

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

TL should add me on Steam.


Tacticslion wrote:
Hm... maybe, "and with your spirit" is the new one?
Drejk wrote:
It isn't a new one, actually. It's the direct translation of Latin formula "et cum spiritu tuo". It's just that English were creative in their translation and only recently Roman Catholic Church issued the correction.

True. That's why I mentioned it below. ;D

That said, it kind of is new, though: the actual words, "and with your spirit" is English, and, in English, it's "new" as in "not what was used" - hence the perception of a "problem" among certain conservative individuals or groups (as opposed to Conservative individuals or groups, who may or may not fall under the first group of conservative individuals or groups).

Over-all, it's not bothersome to me - I don't use it after all - but I know of several who were upset by it, because change is a hard thing to accept sometimes.


TriOmegaZero wrote:
TL should add me on Steam.

Sure!

Question: hhhhhhhhoooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww...?

EDIT: Friend request sent!

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
TriOmegaZero wrote:
TL should add me on Steam.

Sure!

Question: hhhhhhhhoooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww...?

EDIT: Friend request sent!

Ditto =)

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
Oh! RPG! is on sale on Steam right now, and, having played the first chapter alone, I can tell you all: it's worth it, if you can get it! It's... surprisingly good! There are funy parts, and intriguing parts, and compelling parts, too. I've only done the first cahpter, but it's definitely worth the (current) two-dollar price tag.

Even I can afford that!


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Orthos wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:
TriOmegaZero wrote:
TL should add me on Steam.

Sure!

Question: hhhhhhhhoooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww...?

EDIT: Friend request sent!

Ditto =)

Sent.

It was some time since I logged to steam last time...

Another update? *sigh*

I'll be back on steam more when I finally buy Rise Of Tomb Rider... Or earlier when I decide that I want to play one of my steam games instead of closing Rift after Rift...


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Drejk wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:
TriOmegaZero wrote:
TL should add me on Steam.

Sure!

Question: hhhhhhhhoooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww...?

EDIT: Friend request sent!

Ditto =)

Sent.

It was some time since I logged to steam last time...

Another update? *sigh*

I'll be back on steam more when I finally buy Rise Of Tomb Rider... Or earlier when I decide that I want to play one of my steam games instead of closing Rift after Rift...

You should absolutely PM me your user name... or just look for the Path Finders. We're constantly stuck in a group of 4 trying to do Expert instances, and the lack of one more DPS is a wee bit irritating.

My username is Creampuffy, but I'm usually out foraging if none of my friends are available. It's amazing how a simple MMORPG can eat up all of your time making you forage for an infinite amount of nonexitent resources...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
My username is Creampuffy,

You lie. It's NobodysHome - I can see it, like, right there.

>:I

Yes, I know what you're talking about, but this was funnier.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Creampuffy. Lol!


From today:

- "Dell Technician" call 1: he spoke with an "old lady" voice who apparently couldn't understand him, and asked continually if he was her grandson.

- "Dell Technician" call 2: he spoke with an "weird" voice that he wanted to speak normally, until he finally identified it as a "female" who demanded he call her "Kitkat" until he hung up.

- "Dell Technician" call 3: he spoke with someone who (apparently) only spoke in Spanish. He responded by speaking in french - no, not French, the Latin language spoken by French people, but colloquial "french" for which many often ask pardon (which is supposed to be a dodge to avoid getting in trouble for swearing around kids). Man, he swore a lot.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Don't forget there's a FAWTL Steam Group =) I'll send invites to anyone who wants them.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Oh s#$~! My ears just popped! F~+% you allergies, Captain Yesterday (doesn't really) wins again!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

But what happened with Kitkat.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:

From today:

- "Dell Technician" call 1: he spoke with an "old lady" voice who apparently couldn't understand him, and asked continually if he was her grandson.

- "Dell Technician" call 2: he spoke with an "weird" voice that he wanted to speak normally, until he finally identified it as a "female" who demanded he call her "Kitkat" until he hung up.

- "Dell Technician" call 3: he spoke with someone who (apparently) only spoke in Spanish. He responded by speaking in french - no, not French, the Latin language spoken by French people, but colloquial "french" for which many often ask pardon (which is supposed to be a dodge to avoid getting in trouble for swearing around kids). Man, he swore a lot.

Change some things around and you have a classic Letters to Penthouse. You're goin' places kid, ya hear!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:
But what happened with Kitkat.

Well, if 1d4 ⇒ 3 of us remember correctly...

Spoiler:
Hudson Hawk and Tommy Five-Tone were creating a diversion to distract the Mayflowers so they can rescue Anna. Kit Kat was disguised as marble statue when Minerva Mayflower shoots him with a crossbow.

(1d4 ⇒ 2 goblin babies blame Cosmo for now having "Swinging on a Star" stuck in our heads.)


2 people marked this as a favorite.

A dammed good night at the gym. Increased my weight by 10 to 20 pounds at every machine after taking a week off. Feels good. Real good.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.

That's awesome FH! I made it jogging 5 minutes and walking 1 five times


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Cool.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

"We Are The Champions" by Queen can instantly get any song out of your head. True, it will be stuck, as (not a joke, Google it) it is the biggest earworm song that exists, as proven by science.

...still, Queen at least is good. I had Quiet Riot going for hours in the noggin before I got Freddie and the gang to exorcise the demons.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
thegreenteagamer wrote:

"We Are The Champions" by Queen can instantly get any song out of your head. True, it will be stuck, as (not a joke, Google it) it is the biggest earworm song that exists, as proven by science.

...still, Queen at least is good. I had Quiet Riot going for hours in the noggin before I got Freddie and the gang to exorcise the demons.

This is a useful tip - thankyou. Better that than 'Straight Up' by Paula Abdul, for certain.

Dark Archive

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Why Urgathoa is the Unlife of the party.


Blech. Gorror.

Still, darkly humorous! I wonder why she was trapped in the mirror. I want more explanation for everything than is actually given, but oh well. "Silent." one supposes means exactly that. :)

EDIT: By the way, Orthos, you may well want to sail your good ol' Nopeship right out into the Bay of Nope all the way to Nopeville. Just so you're aware. :)

(I got yer back, bro!)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
1d4 Goblin Babies wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:
But what happened with Kitkat.

Well, if 1d4 of us remember correctly... ** spoiler omitted **

(1d4 goblin babies blame Cosmo for now having "Swinging on a Star" stuck in our heads.)

This is glorious. I love that film. Yes, seriously.


baron arem heshvaun wrote:
Why Urgathoa is the Unlife of the party.

Incidentally, I found where they all originally came from (link was from the imagur, so, not exactly hard searching), and some are quite interesting, a few amusing, some thought-provoking, some just unpleasant and blech.

They're all free. Some claim to be NSFW (given the general gore-level, I can't imagine what that means, exactly), so be wary, there - but it's pretty well marked, so it's unlikely to be accidental clickiness.

Dark Archive

3 people marked this as a favorite.
thegreenteagamer wrote:

"We Are The Champions" by Queen can instantly get any song out of your head. True, it will be stuck, as (not a joke, Google it) it is the biggest earworm song that exists, as proven by science.

...still, Queen at least is good. I had Quiet Riot going for hours in the noggin before I got Freddie and the gang to exorcise the demons.

I coulda told you that.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
baron arem heshvaun wrote:
Why Urgathoa is the Unlife of the party.

Incidentally, I found where they all originally came from (link was from the imagur, so, not exactly hard searching), and some are quite interesting, a few amusing, some thought-provoking, some just unpleasant and blech.

They're all free. Some claim to be NSFW (given the general gore-level, I can't imagine what that means, exactly), so be wary, there - but it's pretty well marked, so it's unlikely to be accidental clickiness.

I am now a subscriber. Thanks baron arem heshvaun!


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

It's a golden age for bird watching in our yard!

The local hawk family has now grown to four and they've brutally driven down the crow overpopulation. Which in turn, has led to a bigger and more diverse small bird population.

And they f@!~ing love the bird bath in the garden next to the old Christmas tree that was artfully trimmed and expertly placed as a hangout for birds.

Pea Bear even got those little mirrors with adhesive on the back on the trunk by branches so birds can primp themselves in the mirror while they perch. Which they do.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

No jokes here. That's just cool.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Urg. Not feeling great. Like I really need caffeine, sleep, or both (but probably not in that order). I had to settle for caffeine for now.

:/


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

IKEA is coming to the outlet store wasteland of Oak Creek, Wi. Which is better than having to go to Chicago. But not by much.


Got an amazingly adorable picture of my youngest having fallen asleep mid-play.

Had a confrontation with my oldest due to disobedience.

Today continues to refuse to keep steady in either "good" or "bad" category.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

I can't believe it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
I can't believe it.

Awesome! I know exactly how awesome it feels to have such an enormous project finished! So cool! Well done!

EDIT: I meant to ask you to tell us when it's actually posted, as well!

In other news, I spent an hour failing to fall asleep. Maybe just lying still for a while helped? Who knows! Off to get ready for soccer game time, visiting with parents, and handling kids...


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
I can't believe it.

Awesome! I know exactly how awesome it feels to have such an enormous project finished! So cool! Well done!

EDIT: I meant to ask you to tell us when it's actually posted, as well!

In other news, I spent an hour failing to fall asleep. Maybe just lying still for a while helped? Who knows! Off to get ready for soccer game time, visiting with parents, and handling kids...

will post tonight, with an open invitation to all past posters to look over edited entries, make changes to ones that need fleshing out, and an invitation to new people to give me 30-odd new submissions so we can have the thousand.

Maybe even make a pdf.

After that, it's the aasimar, followed by the resurrection thread.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I get to work tonight. Then tomorrow my house is overrun by twelve year old girls.

Note to self: spend the extra time relocating Xbox and DVD player to bedroom/fortress of solitude.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Hell is, the old lady price shopping swimming pools over the phone.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

What's a fun German noble title for women. My wife needs a better nickname...

140,751 to 140,800 of 238,353 << first < prev | 2811 | 2812 | 2813 | 2814 | 2815 | 2816 | 2817 | 2818 | 2819 | 2820 | 2821 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.