Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

136,451 to 136,500 of 243,584 << first < prev | 2725 | 2726 | 2727 | 2728 | 2729 | 2730 | 2731 | 2732 | 2733 | 2734 | 2735 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Orthos wrote:
Huzzah! The snow has ended and all melted away! Good riddance!

but you were describing sand earlier...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

...naked sand snow confusion?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Clearly, you yearn for summer, and the beach.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I can say as an adult, the nostalgia of the 80s cartoons doesn't really hold up. Go re-watch the original cartoon (or worse, live action movie) TMNT, or Transformers, or GI Joe, or He-Man, etc. They. Aged. Terribly.

So now that we have like 90% of them as movies, when will we get 90s cartoons as movies? Because I would pay good money to watch Gargoyles. I would camp out to see Animaniacs.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I don't think I can watch another The Simpson's movie, it's only gone downhill ever since.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Quote:

lines up flaming bike cannons, inputs coordinates for tfys general area

In William Shatner pose from Wrath of Khan ....Fire!

Bonk!...Oh wait there it is, article j subsection 3.57


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Redbeard the Scruffy wrote:
So now that we have like 90% of them as movies, when will we get 90s cartoons as movies? Because I would pay good money to watch Gargoyles. I would camp out to see Animaniacs.

Amen to both of these.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Huzzah! The snow has ended and all melted away! Good riddance!
but you were describing sand earlier...

Methinks you misinterpreted that.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

That's why I've built up an elaborate defense system of college girls, hundreds of miles of bike trails lousy with trendy craft breweries, mom and pop cheese haus's, and hipster wineries and art galleries.

There's no way Freehold is getting close to my place.

And just to prove my point.

The Denver Broncos won the Super Bowl. *high five for Treppa*


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
Tin Foil Yamakah wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:

And no, you can't know what she did, because FaWtL is a paladin-discussion-free zone...

I don't recall that in the rules

** spoiler omitted **

Spoiler:
Yeah, that's not necessarily a fall moment, but it depends on context. Making a deal like that because you're trying to deal with the actual demon and intend to circle back to deal with the cult later (nothing in that promise would prevent that) would be totally okay. Sometimes a paladin has to start with the big evil and work their way down. It has a lot to do with intentions. But, yeah, if it's just I don't feel like dealing with the evil cult....that's the first steps on a slippery slope. Welcome to the dark side, we have cookies.;P

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Redbeard the Scruffy wrote:
This isn't anything personal Freehold, but if you found anything good about T3 beyond "meh, I went in expecting bad acting, big explosions, and crappy writing", I just can't trust your judgment at all for movies.
Do recall that you're talking to a man who thinks the Michael Bay Transformers movie is a masterpiece.

a masterpiece? No. But I paid money to watch robots punch each other in the face and that's what I got. So I left the theater happy.

I have yet to get an explanation on what people want in a "good" transformers movie that has not been one of the following:

- Read the script *I* wrote, it's clearly better

- Live action version of the animated movie from the 80s

- Live action version of one of the many, many japanese versions of the series

- Another movie masquerading as Transformers

- No really, read my script, I'm awesome

- Live action version of Transformers Prime, but with a smaller human cast(which I might enjoy, truth be told)

- Transformers War For Cybertron, just as a movie(would enjoy, but the cost would be prohibitive)

- What we got, just not by Michael Bay

As a side note, I didn't much like the 3rd. I have yet to see the 4th.

What we got just not by Michael Bay is a perfectly legit criticism. If I'm paying good money to see giant robots punch each other in the face I want to actually be able to see it and not be retching into my popcorn bucket because of excessive shaky cam and weird light flares while wondering who the frak is who when I can see what's going on for a brief second. I just don't think that Bay is a very good director.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

And they're delicious!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Been in a baking mood of late. Made a really awesome flourless chocolate cake yesterday for my husband's birthday. One of the few times that a last minute Internet search for a recipe really paid off. :)
And today I am baking bread.

The downside is of course the massive pile of dishes accumulating next to my sink. So thankful I have a working dishwasher. :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:

I have yet to get an explanation on what people want in a "good" transformers movie that has not been one of the following:

- Read the script *I* wrote, it's clearly better

- Live action version of the animated movie from the 80s

- Live action version of one of the many, many japanese versions of the series

- Another movie masquerading as Transformers

- No really, read my script, I'm awesome

- Live action version of Transformers Prime, but with a smaller human cast(which I might enjoy, truth be told)

- Transformers War For Cybertron, just as a movie(would enjoy, but the cost would be prohibitive)

- What we got, just not by Michael Bay

As a side note, I didn't much like the 3rd. I have yet to see the 4th.

I'd settle with characters that didn't vanish part way through (the three most interesting characters, too!) and robots that were more visually distinct.

Focusing on the other group would have been far more interesting, or rather, the way the genius subplot was shaping up proved to be far more interesting than Shia's or any of the others, even from the beginning - not just judging on the final execution, but the everything surrounding it was more interesting. I liked those characters more, too, as-presented, than Shia or his movie-parents. This isn't "my ending" or "my writing" for that matter: this is the writing and and presentation the makers created and presented. They just chose the wrong people to follow, from their own cast of characters. I may or may not be able to do better (I make no claims one way or the other, and have no opinion on my own ability), but I know there are lots of people who are able to do so.

The visual thing is, I think, a legitimate criticism, but it's not an infinitely strong objection. Whether the camera had more still shots, less shaky cam, or more brightly colored/distinguishable robots, I think it's safe to say the constant blur was exhausting for most people. I think any one of those changes would have helped, and any two would have made it really solid for a lot of people.

Bear in mind, I actually kind of liked the film (up to a point - I'm not big on crude humor, quasi-ribald as I may be on occasion) - these are just legitimate complaints that, I think, would help a lot of people enjoy the film instead of be frustrated by it.

I can't really comment on the sequels.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

(1) I agree wholeheartedly with Lenora: Shaky cam directors should be placed in paint shakers until they promise to stop.

(2) Apparently my paladin post was unclear (considering I just spent 25 minutes discussing it with Shiro's player until he said, "Oh, I guess we agree then,"), so the 30-second, "I promise it's my last post on the subject, Freehold!" spoiler:

Clarification:

The demon's dead. It's just a demon-worshipping, human-sacrificing cult with a high cleric-o-evil whose ultimate goal is to become powerful enough to start shuttling demons to the Material Plane to wreak mayhem. The paladin knows that she sacrifices people and worships demons, and is a decent-level cleric. The paladin does NOT know the ultimate goal.

However, the paladin of Iomedae's attitude as of last night could be overall described as, "Meh, not my problem."

As far as I could tell from the player's statements and attitude, once the party had permission to loot the area, that was it. The paladin is absolutely planning on letting the cleric and her cult resume its business as usual as soon as she and her colleagues are ready to depart. No, "We'll protect innocents." No, "We'll come back and deal with them later." Pretty much, "Well, they had ONE demon and we already killed it, so we're done. If they summon another one later, we'll probably be gone by then anyway."


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

(1) I agree wholeheartedly with Lenora: Shaky cam directors should be placed in paint shakers until they promise to stop.

(2) Apparently my paladin post was unclear (considering I just spent 25 minutes discussing it with Shiro's player until he said, "Oh, I guess we agree then,"), so the 30-second, "I promise it's my last post on the subject, Freehold!" spoiler:

** spoiler omitted **

Sounds like it's time for the character to be delivered a 'career opportunities on team evil' pamphlet. ;P


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Redbeard the Scruffy wrote:

I can say as an adult, the nostalgia of the 80s cartoons doesn't really hold up. Go re-watch the original cartoon (or worse, live action movie) TMNT, or Transformers, or GI Joe, or He-Man, etc. They. Aged. Terribly.

So now that we have like 90% of them as movies, when will we get 90s cartoons as movies? Because I would pay good money to watch Gargoyles. I would camp out to see Animaniacs.

I liked He-Man very much when I was small, so when I found a bunch of original episodes on Youtube last year, I watched them avidly for some time. Pretty good. I haven't seen the film(s), but I hear they're ruuubbbishh, so I'll probably have to.

There was also some sort of nineties/noughties spiky-hair-and-oversized-weaponry makeover version of the cartoon, which I intend to avoid.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
lynora wrote:

Been in a baking mood of late. Made a really awesome flourless chocolate cake yesterday for my husband's birthday. One of the few times that a last minute Internet search for a recipe really paid off. :)

And today I am baking bread.

The downside is of course the massive pile of dishes accumulating next to my sink. So thankful I have a working dishwasher. :)

I drive people crazy when I cook because I pretty much throw them out of the kitchen. I need paths to the sink, fridge, pantry, prep surfaces, storage surfaces, and stovetop, and have no qualms about telling people to move if they're in any of those paths.

But at that point it's, "Prep the ingredient, put it in a prep bowl, clean up, repeat."

The kitchen is inevitably cleaner after I've cooked than before I started... but I *do* drive people crazy in the process.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

How to Tell Whether You are an A**hat, Lesson #4283:
(1) Find a narrow residential street.
(2) Drive rapidly down the street on garbage day.
(3) Get stuck behind a garbage truck that is doing its job.
(4) Lean on the horn for at least 10 seconds to express your displeasure at being delayed by people trying to make a living doing something very unpleasant, but very vital and helpful.
(5) Bonus points: Do this before 8:00 am in the morning on said residential street.

Congratulations! You, sir or madam, are an a**hat!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
lynora wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Redbeard the Scruffy wrote:
This isn't anything personal Freehold, but if you found anything good about T3 beyond "meh, I went in expecting bad acting, big explosions, and crappy writing", I just can't trust your judgment at all for movies.
Do recall that you're talking to a man who thinks the Michael Bay Transformers movie is a masterpiece.

a masterpiece? No. But I paid money to watch robots punch each other in the face and that's what I got. So I left the theater happy.

I have yet to get an explanation on what people want in a "good" transformers movie that has not been one of the following:

- Read the script *I* wrote, it's clearly better

- Live action version of the animated movie from the 80s

- Live action version of one of the many, many japanese versions of the series

- Another movie masquerading as Transformers

- No really, read my script, I'm awesome

- Live action version of Transformers Prime, but with a smaller human cast(which I might enjoy, truth be told)

- Transformers War For Cybertron, just as a movie(would enjoy, but the cost would be prohibitive)

- What we got, just not by Michael Bay

As a side note, I didn't much like the 3rd. I have yet to see the 4th.

What we got just not by Michael Bay is a perfectly legit criticism. If I'm paying good money to see giant robots punch each other in the face I want to actually be able to see it and not be retching into my popcorn bucket because of excessive shaky cam and weird light flares while wondering who the frak is who when I can see what's going on for a brief second. I just don't think that Bay is a very good director.

I didn't explain myself well above- I mean literally the same film, just without bays name on it.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
NobodysHome wrote:
lynora wrote:

Been in a baking mood of late. Made a really awesome flourless chocolate cake yesterday for my husband's birthday. One of the few times that a last minute Internet search for a recipe really paid off. :)

And today I am baking bread.

The downside is of course the massive pile of dishes accumulating next to my sink. So thankful I have a working dishwasher. :)

I drive people crazy when I cook because I pretty much throw them out of the kitchen. I need paths to the sink, fridge, pantry, prep surfaces, storage surfaces, and stovetop, and have no qualms about telling people to move if they're in any of those paths.

But at that point it's, "Prep the ingredient, put it in a prep bowl, clean up, repeat."

The kitchen is inevitably cleaner after I've cooked than before I started... but I *do* drive people crazy in the process.

The General is much the same way, she's exceptionally good at what she makes, and she loves it, as long as no one bothers her. :-D


6 people marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
I didn't explain myself well above- I mean literally the same film, just without bays name on it.

Oh! Just like how you'd probably love Firefly and/or Buffy or pretty much anything else, if the name "Joss Whedon" wasn't on them! Got it!

Note: this is a joke. This is only a joke. Had this been an actual trolling... I don't know. I try not to do that. ;)

(Note to self: remind Freehold, at some point, that Joss loves Gundam, too.)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

How to Tell Whether You are an A**hat, Lesson #4283:

(1) Find a narrow residential street.
(2) Drive rapidly down the street on garbage day.
(3) Get stuck behind a garbage truck that is doing its job.
(4) Lean on the horn for at least 10 seconds to express your displeasure at being delayed by people trying to make a living doing something very unpleasant, but very vital and helpful.
(5) Bonus points: Do this before 8:00 am in the morning on said residential street.

Congratulations! You, sir or madam, are an a**hat!

You could also try driving your private automobile in a public transportation only lane downtown, and lean on your horn like crazy because a bus has stopped in front of you to load a wheelchair bound passenger. Then swerve into the transit only lane moving the opposite direction to bypass the bus, run a red light, and continue to drive in a public transportation only lane.

Alternatively, stop your car right in the middle of the crosswalk, or park it on the sidewalk.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
lynora wrote:

Been in a baking mood of late. Made a really awesome flourless chocolate cake yesterday for my husband's birthday. One of the few times that a last minute Internet search for a recipe really paid off. :)

And today I am baking bread.

The downside is of course the massive pile of dishes accumulating next to my sink. So thankful I have a working dishwasher. :)

I drive people crazy when I cook because I pretty much throw them out of the kitchen. I need paths to the sink, fridge, pantry, prep surfaces, storage surfaces, and stovetop, and have no qualms about telling people to move if they're in any of those paths.

But at that point it's, "Prep the ingredient, put it in a prep bowl, clean up, repeat."

The kitchen is inevitably cleaner after I've cooked than before I started... but I *do* drive people crazy in the process.

I'm with you on the wanting people to stay out of the kitchen when I'm cooking. I move quickly and get annoyed when I keep having to ask someone to move away from the sink/fridge/shelf where I keep the pans. Inevitably they stand in front of one of the three. But I am a clean in one big burst at the end of the day kind of person. So I have a large pile of neatly stacked dishes next to the sink. Drives my husband nuts. He can't understand why I don't clean as I go. I can't understand why he thinks I can focus on more than one task at once. I have ADHD. One task is already a big deal. :P


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
lynora wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Redbeard the Scruffy wrote:
This isn't anything personal Freehold, but if you found anything good about T3 beyond "meh, I went in expecting bad acting, big explosions, and crappy writing", I just can't trust your judgment at all for movies.
Do recall that you're talking to a man who thinks the Michael Bay Transformers movie is a masterpiece.

a masterpiece? No. But I paid money to watch robots punch each other in the face and that's what I got. So I left the theater happy.

I have yet to get an explanation on what people want in a "good" transformers movie that has not been one of the following:

- Read the script *I* wrote, it's clearly better

- Live action version of the animated movie from the 80s

- Live action version of one of the many, many japanese versions of the series

- Another movie masquerading as Transformers

- No really, read my script, I'm awesome

- Live action version of Transformers Prime, but with a smaller human cast(which I might enjoy, truth be told)

- Transformers War For Cybertron, just as a movie(would enjoy, but the cost would be prohibitive)

- What we got, just not by Michael Bay

As a side note, I didn't much like the 3rd. I have yet to see the 4th.

What we got just not by Michael Bay is a perfectly legit criticism. If I'm paying good money to see giant robots punch each other in the face I want to actually be able to see it and not be retching into my popcorn bucket because of excessive shaky cam and weird light flares while wondering who the frak is who when I can see what's going on for a brief second. I just don't think that Bay is a very good director.
I didn't explain myself well above- I mean literally the same film, just without bays name on it.

Ah. Okay. That makes more sense. In a that makes no sense kind of way. :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
I didn't explain myself well above- I mean literally the same film, just without bays name on it.

Oh! Just like how you'd probably love Firefly and/or Buffy or pretty much anything else, if the name "Joss Whedon" wasn't on them! Got it!

Note: this is a joke. This is only a joke. Had this been an actual trolling... I don't know. I try not to do that. ;)

(Note to self: remind Freehold, at some point, that Joss loves Gundam, too.)

considering I love outlaw star and devil hunter yohko/ghost sweeper mikami respectively, that is true.

If Joss truly loves gundam, I would need to know if he loved UC or something else. If he was a fan non UC, then I would pay even less mind to him than I do now, but if he was a fan of UC, I would know whether or not he liked Zeon or the Federation.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Doesn't everyone love Gundam? It has a timeline for everyone.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Never heard of it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I tried to explain cooking to my mother during this year's ski trip: "Cooking is like ballet. And either you hear the music, or you don't."

I've cooked with my friend's wife maybe twice in my life. But both of us have cooked our entire adult lives and then some. We move around each other, help each other, and it's an absolute breeze. If my mother or one of my brothers is in the kitchen, they risk bodily injury as they are constantly in the way somehow. They're really amazingly intrusive.

People who know how to cook, and how to move while cooking, are welcome in my kitchen.

And that "how to move" is an ephemeral quality I can't even begin to explain. When my wife and I are cooking together, she moves beautifully. When she's trying to talk to me while I'm cooking solo, she's constantly in the way. So it's something about awareness of "what needs to be done next" and keeping that path clear...


Aranna wrote:
Doesn't everyone love Gundam? It has a timeline for everyone.

Can't stand it.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.

What is a Gundam


1 person marked this as a favorite.

A series of several very different anime/manga stories involving giant mechs.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Orthos wrote:
Redbeard the Scruffy wrote:
So now that we have like 90% of them as movies, when will we get 90s cartoons as movies? Because I would pay good money to watch Gargoyles. I would camp out to see Animaniacs.
Amen to both of these.

Actually I'd like to revise this.

I do NOT want movies of these two series.

They are best as TV shows and should remain as such, I think. That gives them the time, resources, and opportunities to tell their stories in full without having to worry about the limitations of a 2-3 hour movie screening.

Putting Gargoyles back on the air with the original writing team and the resources of modern Disney TV shows such as Gravity Falls would work WONDERS.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Tammy shouldn't read Hell's Vengeance, Tammy wants to get some other patsy to run it for her.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

It's hard wielding 260 aliases at work, best I keep it simple (stupid).


Freehold DM wrote:
If Joss truly loves gundam, I would need to know if he loved UC or something else. If he was a fan non UC, then I would pay even less mind to him than I do now, but if he was a fan of UC, I would know whether or not he liked Zeon or the Federation.

Hm... I've seen this in a couple of places, previously. Now, whenever I look for anything related to Joss, Gundam, and/or Japan, all I get is Avengers-promos in Japan, Joss-haters, and random unrelated things.

(Frustrating to have old sources just... vanish. Hmmmm...)

((The most specific one was a video I saw once when Joss went to Japan, and mentioned how much he loved Gundam in general. Hmmmmm...))


I just don't like mechs. I don't dislike them, but they don't wow me. Front Mission, Xenogears (except for the awesome story), Gundam, Pacific Rim...don't care. Evangelion is, to me, ridiculously boring and just as overrated as anime gets (that's more it's molasses slow pace and overdramatism of petty things than anything else)

Big deal a humanoid robot controlled by a human. Whoopidee doo.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Redbeard the Scruffy wrote:
Evangelion is, to me, ridiculously boring and just as overrated as anime gets (that's more it's molasses slow pace and overdramatism of petty things than anything else)

Well... yeah. I don't know if anyone actually thinks it's as good as it was once touted.

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Still want 4.44


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Spring, spring!
How I yearn for grass betwixt my toes
Instead I get,
Winter, winter!
Frostbite gnawing at my nose.


TOZ wrote:
Still want 4.44

Sounds like it could be cool.

Tacticslion wrote:
Redbeard the Scruffy wrote:
Evangelion is, to me, ridiculously boring and just as overrated as anime gets (that's more it's molasses slow pace and overdramatism of petty things than anything else)
Well... yeah. I don't know if anyone actually thinks it's as good as it was once touted.

To be clear, it's kind of like Akira - mind-blowing when it first debuted, but only because it was bold and different. As time went on, it just... kind of... nope'd.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:

Spring, spring!

How I yearn for grass betwixt my toes
Instead I get,
Winter, winter!
Frostbite gnawing at my nose.

I keep telling you: Road trip!

It was 74 today.

Ms. Fluffynoggins was pleased.

You'd think a half-ragamuffin, half-Siberian would like it a teensy bit colder...

Liberty's Edge

8 people marked this as a favorite.

Hey all, how have you been for the last 85,000 or so posts?

Apologies for my unexplained absence, thanks to those who tried to reach out.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I'd love to, but the General has a master plan of suffering through winter, then taking her vacation time in late spring, when everyone is b+~!$ing about how they used up their vacation time (and money) in February.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

See that's why I get Ninja'd at work, it takes me 4 minutes to evade people to type one post.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Ten minutes left, tops.

Slow tonight.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Make that now. :-)

It was that slow.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mothman wrote:

Hey all, how have you been for the last 85,000 or so posts?

Apologies for my unexplained absence, thanks to those who tried to reach out.

I've been well, thank you!

Not really here as long as you've been missing, but well, nonetheless!

How have you been?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:

Spring, spring!

How I yearn for grass betwixt my toes
Instead I get,
Winter, winter!
Frostbite gnawing at my nose.

*burp*


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mothman wrote:

Hey all, how have you been for the last 85,000 or so posts?

Apologies for my unexplained absence, thanks to those who tried to reach out.

I was just reading about the mosquito man in the gangrel revised clan book when you show up.

Coincidence?

136,451 to 136,500 of 243,584 << first < prev | 2725 | 2726 | 2727 | 2728 | 2729 | 2730 | 2731 | 2732 | 2733 | 2734 | 2735 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.