Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

135,051 to 135,100 of 243,067 << first < prev | 2697 | 2698 | 2699 | 2700 | 2701 | 2702 | 2703 | 2704 | 2705 | 2706 | 2707 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:
How do you watch t.v.?

My Playstation gets really good signal reception. No idea why. Might just be that it's next to the signal extender.


The router doesn't put out a signal. No wonder we have a range extender. There goes the idea of pulling the range extender because it didn't seem to be doing anything.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Well yes naked is the best way to watch shows.

The kids think differently, but that's what bedtime is for.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Rosita the Riveter wrote:
Rosita the Riveter wrote:
I just looked at my internet router. 15 Mbps. For three college kids. No wonder we can't even get more than one bar of wifi in the bedrooms. And we have zero unused ethernet slots.
God I am bad at this. Okay, 150 mbps is the router, it's the connection that's about 15 mbps at high signal strength (directly next to the router and modem, full bars), give or take. Best I can eke out of it is 18. And our router's two ethernet ports are both used up. One leads to the modem, one to a power supply (damned if I know why we need a power supply that hooks up to nothing) and then to a signal extender (which clearly isn't very powerful). The power supply has one ethernet in, one ethernet out, so pulling it won't help. This is one crappy internet hookup.

LOL. You young whippersnappers!

True story: My first modem was 110 baud. Yes. One hundred ten BITS per second. You could watch each character appear. When we "upgraded" to 300 baud it was amazing.

These days we have two kids who are constantly playing online on Steam, two adults who Rift every night, and we're at... 5.8 Mbps. (We can't upgrade without going with either Comcast or AT&T, and we won't do business with either of them, so...)

That 15 seems a wee bit luxurious to me, y'know?


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Celestial Healer wrote:
Waiting for porn is unacceptable.

you said it, my fine, feathered friend.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

True story: My first modem was 110 baud. Yes. One hundred ten BITS per second. You could watch each character appear. When we "upgraded" to 300 baud it was amazing.

These days we have two kids who are constantly playing online on Steam, two adults who Rift every night, and we're at... 5.8 Mbps. (We can't upgrade without going with either Comcast or AT&T, and we won't do business with either of them, so...)

That 15 seems a wee bit luxurious to me, y'know?

Once upon a time we had a Commodore 64 with a 300 baud modem. It was less than impressive. Now, I have 1.5 Mbps DSL and it's good enough for me.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Porn is fast enough for me, that's all I know about our internet.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Boobies! ^_^


3 people marked this as a favorite.

After a record-breaking warm December, we've now got a record-breaking snowstorm in January. 13 inches of snow in six hours today. Site still isn't fully enclosed*, and it's snowing indoors on the third floor. F@!&. This. Noise.

*work b@*!*++%:
The building I work in is shaped like a big letter "J." As of right now, the bottom part of the "J" is wired, insulated, and rocked; the upright of the "J" is partially wired, partially insulated, enclosed, but not rocked; and the top of the "J" isn't even fully framed yet, with open eaves and giant gaps in the walls. Currently, there is no permanent power, and only three temporary gas-powered heaters in the whole building. Our wires are cold to the point of cracking, the plumbers' glue won't bond, the drywallers' mud is frozen solid, and now the framers are trying to hang siding in a f@*$ing blizzard. The mind boggles.


9 people marked this as a favorite.

I think... it might be time to stop trying to integrate with the people of Earth, and to return to my home planet. The experiment has been a failure.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Have you considered, trying again. :-)


3 people marked this as a favorite.
David M Mallon wrote:
I think... it might be time to stop trying to integrate with the people of Earth, and to return to my home planet. The experiment has been a failure.

We've kept your pod just the way you left it


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Dave, I feel you. I often find myself looking at entire groups of people wondering why they do what they do, because I just seem to think differently than the masses. It's like an alien studying and trying to fit in - you don't just learn the behavior, you ask the why to make it more natural. Even with people I agree with on large things, the little ones get me and I seem to fixate on them.

Example - Some very light culture mocking, but I'm a member of that culture, so, meh:
For example, I think I've put it out there that I'm the religious type, are least in mindset if not in...silliness...but that doesn't stop me from raising an eyebrow and mocking my "people"'s ridiculous culture that has little to nothing to do with their holy texts.

Current favorite - Count how many times a person praying out loud says "God", "Father", "Jesus", or a variant thereof in a single vocalized prayer.

I never hear less than double digits in any church, and often reach triple digits.

And then I wonder why they do that...

In any other context it sounds ridiculous. Take me talking to someone named Bob...

I mean, Bob, if in any other context, my good man, I interjected, Bob, a bunch of names, Mr. Robert, or even pronouns and titles, sir, I just, Bobby, sounds ridiculous, Bob-O, even if I mix it up, Bob, and thats if I mix it up, Bob, which I don't have to, Bob, because I've been to churches, Bob, where they use God, Bob, like a comma.

It's always been like that. I Marjorie in psych and minored in sociology just because I spend so much time trying to figure out the why behind peoples weird actions. There is always a reason for every behavior, even if it only makes sense to that individual...and then I try to figure out why their perspective is screwed up, the cause of that..

So much time studying, not enough integration. *sigh* This is probably why I have so few friends. Just doesn'tcome natural to shelf the curiosity and join in the behaviors I don't understand.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.

And so it ends


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Redbeard the Scruffy wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

It's always been like that. I Marjorie in psych and minored in sociology just because I spend so much time trying to figure out the why behind peoples weird actions. There is always a reason for every behavior, even if it only makes sense to that individual...and then I try to figure out why their perspective is screwed up, the cause of that..

Oh for the love of insanity, YES.:
GOOD GRIEF this drives me bonkers. One because of the repetition, and two because it CONSISTENTLY violates every logical rule of sentence structure. You do not both begin and end a sentence with a noun or pronoun of address. Yet with immense consistency sentences are structured "Father, yadda yadda yadda, Father." One after another.

This past Sunday actually had one that was both new to me and more boggling and irritating than any I'd encountered before: the guy praying either began, ended, or both every sentence with "Lord I/we pray". After the third time I was already thinking "I really really really hope God is less irritated by this than I am."


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Once upon a time, in the late nineties, I was involved with a MUD. This one had a welcome screen, composed of ASCII characters. The internet had just become a thing, and nobody thought much about it, since it went fast enough. However, the admins of the MUD changed this, because of a poor guy stuck with a 2400 modem. The MUD had a connection timeout if you took too long to connect fully, and he couldn't even log on because his modem couldn't process the ASCII image before he got logged out.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
David M Mallon wrote:
I think... it might be time to stop trying to integrate with the people of Earth, and to return to my home planet. The experiment has been a failure.

The day after the premier episode of Third Rock from the Sun, my best friend at work came in and said, "Did you see that show? That's YOU!" She was right.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I got that a lot, I was always sure to thank them.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

My wife's parents look and act like Red and Kitty Forman from That 70s show, it's awesome.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Orthos wrote:
Redbeard the Scruffy wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

It's always been like that. I Marjorie in psych and minored in sociology just because I spend so much time trying to figure out the why behind peoples weird actions. There is always a reason for every behavior, even if it only makes sense to that individual...and then I try to figure out why their perspective is screwed up, the cause of that..

** spoiler omitted **

Spoiler:
Odd I haven't noticed this as much. My prayers are structured like a letter. I address God or Jesus at the start as you would in any formal letter and again at the end... in the middle his name only gets brought up if necessary. And I haven't paid very much attention to how other people prayed but I can't recall others really going crazy with that either.
Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I would be remiss here if I did not wish everyone Happy National Cheese Lover's Day!

And this coming from somebody semi Lactose intolerant.

Dark Archive

5 people marked this as a favorite.

It's 6:11 AM in New York city.

A girl I am flirting with text me good morning and how she had to be awake for class, not thinking I would be up and I answered.

She then text You NEVER sleep.

I text back,

I have sworn to protect the City.

And watch Netflix


1 person marked this as a favorite.
baron arem heshvaun wrote:

I have sworn to protect the City.

And watch Netflix

You muscling in on my turf, buddy? You shouldn't do that. Ya' know, 'cause I'm Batman.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
David M Mallon wrote:
I think... it might be time to stop trying to integrate with the people of Earth, and to return to my home planet. The experiment has been a failure.

I think you are operating on an erroneous assumption that humans are somewhat integrated with each other... Usually they are just better at pretending that they are.

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Good morning FaWtLanteans! I hope everyone is well today, had a restful sleep, and has a good day ahead. Still out the islands currently, though we seem to have finished up early. No ferries until 17:00, so a bit of a wait yet. Has anyone here watched Father Ted?

Dark Archive

5 people marked this as a favorite.

Freehold what heretical blasphemy is this?

Dark Archive

5 people marked this as a favorite.
I'm Batman wrote:
baron arem heshvaun wrote:

I have sworn to protect the City.

And watch Netflix

You muscling in on my turf, buddy? You shouldn't do that. Ya' know, 'cause I'm Batman.

In the criminal justice system, we are a team.


baron arem heshvaun wrote:
Freehold what heretical blasphemy is this?

I... I may hate everything, now.

EDIT: to be clear: not really. But still. Why would who could how did this for might think equal good idea?! Blech.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
baron arem heshvaun wrote:
Freehold what heretical blasphemy is this?

japan is home to weird stuff.

I'm pretty sure there is an edible version of this forum in japan somewhere, complete with flaming bicycles.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Redbeard the Scruffy wrote:

Dave, I feel you. I often find myself looking at entire groups of people wondering why they do what they do, because I just seem to think differently than the masses. It's like an alien studying and trying to fit in - you don't just learn the behavior, you ask the why to make it more natural. Even with people I agree with on large things, the little ones get me and I seem to fixate on them.

** spoiler omitted **

It's always been like that. I Marjorie in psych and minored in sociology just because I spend so much time trying to figure out the why behind peoples weird actions. There is always a reason for every behavior, even if it only makes sense to that individual...and then I try to figure out why their perspective is screwed up, the cause of that..

So much time studying, not enough integration. *sigh* This is probably why I have so few friends. Just doesn'tcome natural to shelf the curiosity and join in the behaviors I don't understand.

funny story, true story, my mom's name is Marjorie and I have my degree in psychology.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Sissyl wrote:
Once upon a time, in the late nineties, I was involved with a MUD. This one had a welcome screen, composed of ASCII characters. The internet had just become a thing, and nobody thought much about it, since it went fast enough. However, the admins of the MUD changed this, because of a poor guy stuck with a 2400 modem. The MUD had a connection timeout if you took too long to connect fully, and he couldn't even log on because his modem couldn't process the ASCII image before he got logged out.

wooooow...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Treppa wrote:
David M Mallon wrote:
I think... it might be time to stop trying to integrate with the people of Earth, and to return to my home planet. The experiment has been a failure.
The day after the premier episode of Third Rock from the Sun, my best friend at work came in and said, "Did you see that show? That's YOU!" She was right.

which character? I love that show.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
baron arem heshvaun wrote:

I would be remiss here if I did not wish everyone Happy National Cheese Lover's Day!

And this coming from somebody semi Lactose intolerant.

must have grilled cheese everything today, then.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
baron arem heshvaun wrote:

It's 6:11 AM in New York city.

A girl I am flirting with text me good morning and how she had to be awake for class, not thinking I would be up and I answered.

She then text You NEVER sleep.

I text back,

I have sworn to protect the City.

And watch Netflix

rotfllllllllllll


1 person marked this as a favorite.
David M Mallon wrote:
I think... it might be time to stop trying to integrate with the people of Earth, and to return to my home planet. The experiment has been a failure.

but..but..we have snow here. And boobs!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aranna wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Redbeard the Scruffy wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

It's always been like that. I Marjorie in psych and minored in sociology just because I spend so much time trying to figure out the why behind peoples weird actions. There is always a reason for every behavior, even if it only makes sense to that individual...and then I try to figure out why their perspective is screwed up, the cause of that..

** spoiler omitted **
** spoiler omitted **

Spoiler:
As do most people in private prayers, or at least I would assume. But if you don't, and you like long, elaborate private conversations with God, hey, more power to you. Do what works for you.

PUBLIC prayers, on the other hand - the ones most congregations have at the beginnings and endings of individual services, sometimes more - tend to have more often than not one of two extremes: very short and to the point (the kinds I tend to prefer, and the kinds I do when it's my turn to lead one), or very long with flowery language, repetitively addressing God directly by name or title and often multiple times in an individual sentence, and a lot of what feels like to me unnecessary padding.

I've raised the point several times in our congregational meetings that prayers that go on for too long are a good way to let people's minds wander and stop paying attention, as well as robbing time from other portions of the service (or, for closing/dismissal prayers, just unnecessarily elongating the service, and the mind-wandering part is even more likely due to a combination of "it's almost done" and "we're hungry" factors) but for the most part I think my suggestions for shorter, more to-the-point prayer has gone mostly unnoticed.

Even a lot of the younger members are doing it, likely emulating the people they were raised around. Which sort of perpetuates the problem.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
David M Mallon wrote:
I think... it might be time to stop trying to integrate with the people of Earth, and to return to my home planet. The experiment has been a failure.
but..but..we have snow here. And boobs!

Batting 0-for-2... Freehold DM.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
baron arem heshvaun wrote:

I would be remiss here if I did not wish everyone Happy National Cheese Lover's Day!

And this coming from somebody semi Lactose intolerant.

Huzzah! And I know your pain, sir. >_< Still, I shall add an extra slice to my burger tonight in its honor.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
baron arem heshvaun wrote:

I would be remiss here if I did not wish everyone Happy National Cheese Lover's Day!

And this coming from somebody semi Lactose intolerant.

Roquefort and Gruyere and slippery Brie

All of these cheeses have happened to me

I also declare it Happy International Cheese Lover's Day.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

"He's a cheesey lover!
He'll catch ched-dar and then he'll eat it!"


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
David M Mallon wrote:
I think... it might be time to stop trying to integrate with the people of Earth, and to return to my home planet. The experiment has been a failure.
but..but..we have snow here. And boobs!

I think Dave might be getting too much snow and not enough boobs. Or maybe I am projecting my own experiences here...


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Orthos wrote:
Aranna wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Redbeard the Scruffy wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

It's always been like that. I Marjorie in psych and minored in sociology just because I spend so much time trying to figure out the why behind peoples weird actions. There is always a reason for every behavior, even if it only makes sense to that individual...and then I try to figure out why their perspective is screwed up, the cause of that..

** spoiler omitted **
** spoiler omitted **
** spoiler omitted **

The funniest part:
...The funniest part is the bible specifically calls out against vain repetition in public prayer, "like the pagans do."
Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Orthos wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
David M Mallon wrote:
I think... it might be time to stop trying to integrate with the people of Earth, and to return to my home planet. The experiment has been a failure.
but..but..we have snow here. And boobs!
Batting 0-for-2... Freehold DM.

Seriously! It's like he's trying to drive us all away.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Orthos wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
David M Mallon wrote:
I think... it might be time to stop trying to integrate with the people of Earth, and to return to my home planet. The experiment has been a failure.
but..but..we have snow here. And boobs!
Batting 0-for-2... Freehold DM.

walks out of dugout, waves to crowd on way to batters box


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Drejk wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
David M Mallon wrote:
I think... it might be time to stop trying to integrate with the people of Earth, and to return to my home planet. The experiment has been a failure.
but..but..we have snow here. And boobs!
I think Dave might be getting too much snow and not enough boobs. Or maybe I am projecting my own experiences here...

turns boobs to snow, snow to boobs


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Celestial Healer wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
David M Mallon wrote:
I think... it might be time to stop trying to integrate with the people of Earth, and to return to my home planet. The experiment has been a failure.
but..but..we have snow here. And boobs!
Batting 0-for-2... Freehold DM.
Seriously! It's like he's trying to drive us all away.

turns boobs to john


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
David M Mallon wrote:
I think... it might be time to stop trying to integrate with the people of Earth, and to return to my home planet. The experiment has been a failure.
but..but..we have snow here. And boobs!

Anyway, snow is not that hard to get across the universe. Boobs, on the other hand are rather precious commodity among the stars.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Oh! Snow Boobies! maybe just one lick.... damn it Freehold!!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Captain Yesterday, Boob Brained wrote:
Oh! Snow Boobies! maybe just one lick.... damn it Freehold!!

Now I wonder if there was any worthwhile non-animated Snow White role...


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Image search for Snow White is not promising...

135,051 to 135,100 of 243,067 << first < prev | 2697 | 2698 | 2699 | 2700 | 2701 | 2702 | 2703 | 2704 | 2705 | 2706 | 2707 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.