Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

133,951 to 134,000 of 274,254 << first < prev | 2675 | 2676 | 2677 | 2678 | 2679 | 2680 | 2681 | 2682 | 2683 | 2684 | 2685 | next > last >>

I'm gonna skip new Star Wars, from the little Pea Bear told me about it, does not interest me.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Well at least you're not going to the theatre dressed like that.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Of course not, it's winter, that's more drive in theater attire.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:

Valkyria Chronicles: still super awesome!

(Daaaaaaaaang 'dat Scout Challenge. All of 'em, really...)

I still think 2 was the best. Primarily because armored tech and the other associated classes that come out of it are Scint-sitting-on-orthos'-shoulders-while-pinwheeling-her-arms-and-making-be eping-noises-levels of fun and brokenness.

Seriously. Why would you main anything else?


Freehold DM wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:

Valkyria Chronicles: still super awesome!

(Daaaaaaaaang 'dat Scout Challenge. All of 'em, really...)

I still think 2 was the best. Primarily because armored tech and the other associated classes that come out of it are Scint-sitting-on-orthos'-shoulders-while-pinwheeling-her-arms-and-making-be eping-noises-levels of fun and brokenness.

Seriously. Why would you main anything else?

Never played it! I'd be interested someday... but for now, the first one is fantastic!


3 people marked this as a favorite.

There's an image.

Grand Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Lost Omens, Pawns, Rulebook Subscriber

o.O


1 person marked this as a favorite.

-4*F today on site. And, of course, today was the day they decided to deliver the switchgear, and the day that the project manager decided to show up to check out the site.

In other words, picture eight guys in woefully inadequate cold-weather gear trying to manhandle these across a parking lot and through a regular-sized door while not getting their wet gloves (or bare hands) stuck to the freezing metal, all while the project manager and the general contractor are having a screaming match in the background.

I swear, it's like a bad sitcom set in Purgatory.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

What.


Just gonna leave this here for Freehold Prime:

Spoiler:
(Video:) "Joss Whedon | Full Q&A | Oxford Union"

Kinda long, but here's the juicy part:

Joss 'Ultimate Evil' Whedon wrote:

I sort of had my finger in all of the films in the second phase, but then I just had to concentrate only on Ultron, and sort of know when it was done I was just going to stop. So I made a completely clean break — not because we had a falling out — just because I was like, “I can’t…”

If I was still there going, “Well, here are my thoughts on this film,” I’d be there every day. I wouldn’t do anything else because there are a lot of films, and it is a lot of fun. It’s very seductive. When you can put your little fairy dust on things and just improve them slightly, and they actually listen to you… I was a script doctor for a long time, and the part where they listen to you was very rare; so it was very important for my own self to go “we can still be friends,” but…”

Yep, Whedon is really done with anything Marvel, not even involved in offering ideas on Marvel projects. It's a great day in America!


The Freehold Inquisition wrote:
Just gonna leave this here for Freehold Prime:** spoiler omitted **

a good day, perhaps, but not a great one. Only when he is unmasked and revealed as the true hack he is will I truly celebrate.

Dark Archive

Joss Whedon IS A GOD!!! Bow down and worship him WORMS!!!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Tiny T-Rex said I look like Antonio Banderas today, from Spongebob, Sponge out of Water.

But, it still counts as Antonio Banderas!

Right?


Yes.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Well, that's nice. Drive your car in the red traffic lane, which is exclusively for the use of public transportation vehicles, come up behind a bus loading a passenger in in a wheelchair, and start honking your horn frantically to tell the bus to get out of the way IN A LANE YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE DRIVING IN. When the bus doesn't move, drive into the oncoming traffic lane to get around the bus, run the light that turned red while you were honking at the bus, and keep driving down the red traffic lane. This is, like, some major league level of driving like an a+&&#%*.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rosita the Riveter wrote:
Well, that's nice. Drive your car in the red traffic lane, which is exclusively for the use of public transportation vehicles, come up behind a bus loading a passenger in in a wheelchair, and start honking your horn frantically to tell the bus to get out of the way IN A LANE YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE DRIVING IN. When the bus doesn't move, drive into the oncoming traffic lane to get around the bus, run the light that turned red while you were honking at the bus, and keep driving down the red traffic lane. This is, like, some major league level of driving like an a#!*&%$.

That is, indeed, some Major-League level of Jerk-waddiness.

And nerves. Kahones even.
But Mostly Jerk-Waddiness. ;P


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I hope you recorded it.
Forward the video to the Bus driver so he can give it to the police. Or give it to the police yourself (but it might have a better chance of generating a severe fine if the bus driver submits it).


2 people marked this as a favorite.

They've got bigger fish to fry in California, I doubt anything would happen, it's best to just be thankful no one was hurt, b+#$$ about what an a+@$#%~ he was and move on.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

You know how those red light cameras take your picture and mail you a fine?

I love those. People here in Jax HATE them and cry unconstitutional because you can't face your accuser because it's a machine.

Suck it lawbreakers.

Frankly, if I were mayor, I'd install tire spikes that popped up one second after the light turned red. I am so tired of everyone in this city still going four to five seconds after it turns red. I would love to see someone have to buy four new tires every time they do that.

Stop when it's yellow unless you physically can't, @ss hats, its the actual law, just like going below speed limit in severe rain or using your f***ing blinker when you switch lanes!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Tire spikes are tempting but there are instances when driving into a red light or turning on a one is public necessity, such as avoiding a car that lost control, or making passage for a privileged vehicle.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Gotta crack a few eggs to make an omelette. Give EMS and other folks with sirens and lights an override switch, and boom, like 80% of problems solved.

Frankly, I can't wait until auto driving cars are affordable. You KNOW congress will mandate them eventually, considering the number one cause of sudden death in America is auto accidents, and more than 90% are user error based.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I can drive way better than a stupid g*~$$@n f$&~ing computer.

Tire spikes won't work either, a#*!!%$s are part of driving, if you can't handle them, stay off the road.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:
I can driveway better than a stupid g~#$&&n f~#*ing computer.

Perhaps, but an entire server of computers can drive way better than the chaos of humanity as a group.

Plus, they will obey the law. They will keep minimum safe distance (which NOBODY DOES not even the best drivers), adjust for weather, coordinate with other cars, and overall trips will be faster due to the servers adjusting traffic signals and detours due to overall flow.

The ability to nap on the way to work is just an added bonus.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Seriously... Ever had windows crash on you? Like, ever? Suddenly, with no warning? Simply shutting you out of controlling your computer?

Now imagine that happening to your car when you're on the highway.

... To a server in control of your car and the thousand closest ones.

Yeah.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

It twas my phone that did the typo, I fixed it right away.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:
Tire spikes won't work either, a*+$+!*s are part of driving, if you can't handle them, stay off the road.

Why should I adjust my behavior because someone else is a jerk? No, you punish the @ssholes, not the people who actually know what they're doing.

It's why I can't be a cop. I would drive the exact speed limit EVERYWHERE and LAUGH MY @SS OFF when someone passes me as I'm giving them a ticket.

"OH, MAN, what are you, mentally deficient? You see this is a marked car, right? Oh man, heres your ticket. Go on, take it to court, I can use another laugh later when I show up to testify."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:
It twas my phone that did the typo, I fixed it right away.

Yeah, blame the innocent machine, like if it was the one to push the button...


3 people marked this as a favorite.

You should see what he's done to my spell check. I... I'm so confused, I don't know what's what anymore! I'm not even sure if I can spell Brut correctly!

begins sobbing


3 people marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:
a!@$+~!s are part of driving, if you can't handle them, stay off the road.

You do realize this is literally NOT AN OPTION these days, right?

I'm with TGTG on this - punish the people who are actually breaking the damn law. Half the reason speed limits and such aren't respected is because nine times out of ten, nobody gets punished for them.

Frankly that's mostly because cops have better things to do with their time than hand out tickets to everybody going over the speed limit on the freaking highway. Seriously, I feel like I'm the only freaking person going 55 in the bloody 55 zone.

That said, I'm 100% with Sissyl on automated cars. I do not trust a computer to transport me anywhere, especially at high speed.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Giving them severe fines IS the way to solve a##!&#! driving. They quickly realize they can't afford to keep being an a%%&#&+. And then they have to make a choice give up the car or give up being an a@&*%!&. I haven't seen anyone give up the car yet... Although the reformed a+**%~+s just become a new kind of a~%##~+, the ones that try to force everyone to drive safely.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

It's impossible to keep a minimum safe distance gap. You leave a nice gap and somebody says, "Oh look, a nice gap!" and pops in there. Then you slow down to expand the gap to a safe distance, and the person behind you says, "This person ahead of me is going too slow. I will pass them." Then THEY go around and pop into your gap, forcing you to slow... and on and on.

Eventually, you're driving 8.2 mph on the expressway. It's the only possible outcome.


Treppa wrote:

It's impossible to keep a minimum safe distance gap. You leave a nice gap and somebody says, "Oh look, a nice gap!" and pops in there. Then you slow down to expand the gap to a safe distance, and the person behind you says, "This person ahead of me is going too slow. I will pass them." Then THEY go around and pop into your gap, forcing you to slow... and on and on.

Eventually, you're driving 8.2 mph on the expressway. It's the only possible outcome.

...not if EVERY car is doing it because they'd all be automatic. Trust me, twenty years or so it'll be law.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Probably closer to 40-50 years, at minimum. At the risk of leaning political, I don't think it's possible for the federal government to get anything enacted that fast, much less enforced, and they won't even be able to start until the technology is there. Once it is, then they have to get the networks, maps, routes, and everything else squared away, which is another long, time-consuming process.

It's taken the DOT here a full thirteen years just to START expanding a single road from two lanes to four (a project that was supposed to be finished in Summer 2002); the area has since then been "under construction" for five months and they're still not done. And this isn't a huge road - the whole to-be-expanded stretch is less than five miles. If you think the entire country can be put on an automated driving system for entire cities within twenty years when the technology for self-driving cars doesn't even yet exist en-masse, you have a far more positive, and dare I say unrealistic, view of the speed of government operations.

Also: expensive. And the cost will require either tax dollars or large-scale investments (or both) which will slow things further, especially if people/locations object.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Fair enough. I meant twenty years or so the process to begin making it law will begin. Lobbying has probably already started.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Oh I wouldn't be surprised. But I don't expect it to go anywhere anytime soon. And you can bet that when someone actually DOES try to make it law, there will be all KINDS of objections, from people who don't want to surrender individual control to local city/county/state governments who don't want to fork out the cash or crank up the taxes to pay for the Fed's latest pet project. It'll stall for a good long time before either the law fumbles and falls by the wayside (perhaps to be revived later) or until the resistance eventually crumbles and the long, slow, expensive process of refitting every city for this new system begins.

And I can guarantee you, law or no law, this will be pretty exclusively an urban thing, or possibly urban + interstate highways. In small towns and rural roads, there is not and likely never will be the support this thing would need for complete and total automation.

And because of that, any self-driving car is going to be required, just logically, to come with some sort of manual override option. And how much do you want to bet many drivers will activate that even when it's not really necessary, just because they'd rather take the wheel themselves than surrender control to a machine?

That's not even getting into the simple issue of people (myself included) who can't afford a new car, especially one with a fancy new system like automated self-driving computers, and what such laws would mean for them.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

In about 5 years a lot of taxis will be automated, in 10 years it will be a normal option to be able to buy an automated car, and in twenty years the debates will start on making it mandatory to own one.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Yeah, you're probably right.

Anyway, I seem to have sort of steered us (eh? eh?) into politics, and I don't think anyone wants to take that exit (EH?! EH!?), so I suggest we move into reverse (EH!?! EH!?!) and veer off into another subject.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Ba dum tish!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aranna wrote:
In about 5 years a lot of taxis will be automated, in 10 years it will be a normal option to be able to buy an automated car, and in twenty years the debates will start on making it mandatory to own one.

A bit more optimistic as far as tech goes than I would personally estimate, but not unbelievably so. I'd consider it likely enough.

I personally think it'll be 20 years at minimum before automated cars are cheap enough that those of us who don't regularly drive Mercedes and the like could consider owning one. It'll be some time after that when the debates about mandatory ownership would start, I'd think.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Let's delve into the really important issue here,When will I get my flying car?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I don't know and I don't really care because I do not want a flying car >_> I don't trust other people using them, and I'm afraid of heights and hate planes as-is. Cars - and a large segment of the drivers operating them - are dangerous enough on the ground.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

We have flying cars.

But since you need a FULL pilots license to operate one you will never see them used like in back to the future.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Just thought of another problem with the automated car thing.

Hackers.

Just look at these two episodes of Game Theory talking about the real-world equivalents of the hacking tricks you can do in Watch_D0gs. That's with today's manually-driven tech. If you know what you're doing, it's fairly simple... and surprisingly cheap.

Now imagine that kind of hackery going on with vehicles that are COMPLETELY computer-operated.

And before you say that future tech/networks would be more secure...: Given how many examples are in those two videos about Federal/Military government programs and computers getting hacked (in some cases, hacked bizarrely easily), the idea of someone with malicious intent getting their fingers into every car on the road utterly terrifies me.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Meh, we already have potential for hackers to crash cars. Did you see Die Hard 4? Surprisingly good, unlike the garbage that was part 5.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Oh I know. That's mentioned in video 1, which is where I learned of it first. (Never seen any Die Hard except the first one.)

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.

As long as we have Sandra Bullock to keep us over 50 miles per hour, we'll be okay.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Redbeard the Scruffy wrote:

You know how those red light cameras take your picture and mail you a fine?

I love those. People here in Jax HATE them and cry unconstitutional because you can't face your accuser because it's a machine.

Suck it lawbreakers.

Frankly, if I were mayor, I'd install tire spikes that popped up one second after the light turned red. I am so tired of everyone in this city still going four to five seconds after it turns red. I would love to see someone have to buy four new tires every time they do that.

Stop when it's yellow unless you physically can't, @ss hats, its the actual law, just like going below speed limit in severe rain or using your f***ing blinker when you switch lanes!

Oh, BrownTheScruffyGamer*: you so angry.

* Mix of red, green, and the primary characteristics of your two names.


Orthos wrote:
Oh I know. That's mentioned in video 1, which is where I learned of it first. (Never seen any Die Hard except the first one.)

Part three is almost as good as part 1, and my personal favorite. Part 2 and 4 are both entertaining, but nothing exceptional. Part 5 is filth with no redeeming qualities.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The first one is my favorite Christmas movie. :-D


5 people marked this as a favorite.

You know, I was just thinking of how we live better than most royalty - even most gods, as-described - in modern living.

Like, we still have servants and slaves and beasts, they're just machines now.

We are driven with no horses, air-controlled environments (at home or abroad), have meals generated almost at-will (via microwave and instant foods) - often at better nutrition values and sometimes tastier than old cooking ways -, speak freely with and about (and view) people from around the globe, have leisure time, and can create and immerse ourselves in other worlds (leaving them when we're done) [I'm talking about games, here]. We have bards and other entertainers actively competing for our attention, churning out some of the most impressive audio and visual experiences ever conceived... regularly. We have personal libraries of needlessly large size and have access to information beyond what anyone could hope to contain at the stroke of a button. Remark on them as you will, but our healthcare services are faster and more reliable than in the history of the world. We can daggum fly. Our buildings reach above the highest towers in history, and our cities, military forces and power, and people are so numerous that walls are effectively meaningless for us. Deaths at the hands of wild animals, basic disease (sans old age), and minor disasters are rare enough to make the news. And for the elite of the elite, we have people who use our conveniences for us. "Yo dawg, I heard you liked servants..."

All this, and we're still kind of stupid. Also have plenty of legit complaints. Dang it, us.

Obviously, there are plenty of things that we do for ourselves. But seriously. We've got it good. Also, we're talking of automating even those things, like driving. I know this isn't revolutionary, just a thought I had. I figured it was relevant.

133,951 to 134,000 of 274,254 << first < prev | 2675 | 2676 | 2677 | 2678 | 2679 | 2680 | 2681 | 2682 | 2683 | 2684 | 2685 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.