Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

93,751 to 93,800 of 238,382 << first < prev | 1871 | 1872 | 1873 | 1874 | 1875 | 1876 | 1877 | 1878 | 1879 | 1880 | 1881 | next > last >>

Why no one is posting?

...

Oh, that's why...

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

You activated the Trap card! Now all your clothes are gone!


Punny masqued humanoids... Deprived of your robes you appear to lose your composure, your dignity, even your attractiveness. While I? I am still a dragon!


Whaddya call a scaleless dragon?


Growing...

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Okay, I did not need the creepy GIF accompanying that.


Uh, Frightful presence? *Tim Curry's grin*


Just watched the wizard end a tournament with a Baleful Polymorph.


TriOmegaZero wrote:
Okay, I did not need the creepy GIF accompanying that.

I rather liked it.

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

John Ringo is now officially a favorite author. First a Libertarian manifesto / space alien invasion apocalypse involving maple syrup and asteroid balloons, now a zombie apocalypse sea pirate adventure, where the pirate commodore's main enforcer is his 13 year old daughter. IMprobable, ridiculous, and fun!!!! Whee!

shh! Can't you see I'm reading?!?


Jess Door wrote:

John Ringo is now officially a favorite author. First a Libertarian manifesto / space alien invasion apocalypse involving maple syrup and asteroid balloons, now a zombie apocalypse sea pirate adventure, where the pirate commodore's main enforcer is his 13 year old daughter. IMprobable, ridiculous, and fun!!!! Whee!

shh! Can't you see I'm reading?!?

..I see madness has set in.

Shadow Lodge

Time is fleeting...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

"Her mother lived with a greengrocer, he used to beat her daily with long green beans."


gran rey de los mono wrote:

So, I was at work this morning, just chilling out and killing time, when one of the guests comes by to check out. It was Ted Dibiase! That's right, the Million Dollar Man himself! I had seen his name in the registry (he stayed for nearly a week), but hadn't actually seen him and assumed it was someone with the same name. Nope, I was wrong.

Thankfully I was able to restrain myself from saying anything, but he may have seen the surprise in my eyes.

Yeah, I was working the holiday craziness at Barnes Ignoble back when, and as the customer I'd just sold some books to walked out, one of my co-workers said, "Do you know who that was? That was Tom Waits!". I'd been focused on giving him the right change, and hadn't even noticed. Hopefully, that's as close as I'll ever get to Dracula.


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

"We were pretty sure child brothels would help with arts funding, but that never got beyond that pilot project in Yeovil."

Sovereign Court

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

...And done! Woot! That was awesome. I bought that book at 7:30 this evening, and now...

wait...

...I have to wait a year for the next one.

DAMMIT.

Scarab Sages

Not so good morning FAWTLY Folk! Opened up Facebook to find that a fraternity brother and his wife suffered a terrible loss. I'll leave it at that.

Shadow Lodge

Jess Door wrote:

John Ringo is now officially a favorite author. First a Libertarian manifesto / space alien invasion apocalypse involving maple syrup and asteroid balloons, now a zombie apocalypse sea pirate adventure, where the pirate commodore's main enforcer is his 13 year old daughter. IMprobable, ridiculous, and fun!!!! Whee!

shh! Can't you see I'm reading?!?

Another one for the list of books to eventually be read. What are the titles?

EDIT: Nevermind, just went and looked his listing up =) Will probably put a couple on Kindle once I have cash to spare again.

Where do you recommend starting, Jess?


Commiserations for your friends AZ. My heart goes out to them.

So Tuesday rolls around, now to make the best of it that we can.


Sorry to hear that, az. I hope they are able to recover.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

I'm sorry to hear that, Az. :(

Orthos, I've only read the space invasion series completed (under a Graveyard sky is the new one, just published), but it's soooooo fun:

Life Free or Die!
Citadel
The Hot Gate

Shadow Lodge

Thanks =)

Shadow Lodge

Also +1 to the sadness. Hope things turn around for them soon.


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

Sorry to hear, Aberzombie.

Shadow Lodge

And with that, time for me to close up Paizo and get to work in earnest. Later FAWTLfolk.


I also enjoy John Ringo, though I've not read those books. I like his Legacy of the Aldenata series, as well as the Paladin of Shadows books. His collaborations with David Weber are good too (I think they were called the Empire of Man series).

And Weber's Honor Harrington novels are great.


I like John Ringo,

I've read his Council Wars series and loved it, then read Princess of Wands and felt kind of 'Meh'(It had some great moments, but overall didn't feel nearly as whole or interesting to me as his Council Wars.)

I'm debating whether to start up on another series of his, but until I checked his web site didn't realize how prolific the man was! ;P


hi everyone


sound terrible AZ,
positive waves


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

Off to get some comfort snacks before watching Germany massacre Sweden at fußball.

Shadow Lodge

Paizo people be addin' more and more books to my to-read list. The Iron Gods thread got to talking about the Hyperion books and reminded me I need to read those eventually.


TOZ wrote:
Time is fleeting...

No sh-t.


Anyone recommmed a good fantasy series, other than the stuff cranked out at wizards. Paizo is oaky, but I'm looking for something outside the RPG mold.

Shadow Lodge

My kneejerk recommendation is typically Jim Butcher. The Dresden Files if you want modern urban fantasy, Codex Alera if you want something more medieval. His newest series Cinder Spires will be steampunk but it's not out yet.


BluePigeon wrote:
Anyone recommmed a good fantasy series, other than the stuff cranked out at wizards. Paizo is oaky, but I'm looking for something outside the RPG mold.

hm. I need to update my sword and sorceress collection. Also, the chicks in chainmail series cracks me up. I also enjoyed mistborn, and there's always the kushiels dart series. I also need to patch a hole in my thieves world collection, although it did get silly with the pls movement. There is also a steam/magic/punk series based in ny that I have to read.


Little puppy girl is leaving milkbone crumbs on my blanket and covers. Normally I would administer discipline, but she's so rambuncous and cute.

I am truely powerless in the face of puppy love.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

madness...takes its toll.


I think its society of steam....

Shadow Lodge

Mistborn is on my to-read list as well. On the subject of Sanderson, The Way of Kings is awesome, but to quote TVTropes:

Quote:
Doorstopper: Quoth Sanderson's friend and Schlock Mercenary creator Howard Tayler: "This 1000-page tome is the best argument you’ll have all year to get an e-reader, because you HAVE to have this book, but you might not be muscular enough to carry it around."

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Speaking of, time to go reduce my paperback collection to bits.

Shadow Lodge

Nooooooo! Give them to a used bookstore or something!


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

I've just started reading Juliet E McKenna's Tales of Einarrin where at least the first book (the second arrived in the mail today) is a good adventure yarn about a thief/gambler/con-artist who gets press-ganged into helping a wizard and his allies with acquiring antique objects from the old empire - and then things starts to get really interesting.

I'm a huge fan of Ellen Kushner's Riverside novels (Swordpoint, The Privilege of the Sword, and The Fall of the Kings - check them out if you want catty nobles, mad bad swordsmen, and some very acerbic one-liners.

Katherine Kerr's Deverry series is Celtic flavoured epic fantasy told in several time periods with the rebirth of souls in different characters as a binding element. Excellent writing, a neat twist on the Arthur, Guinevere, and Lancelot triangle (with different people), and one of my favourite takes on both dwarves and elves.

Liane Merciel wrote two non-Pathfinder books before her Pathfinder one - they're good, although perhaps not that far from the RPG mould (they even have vancian casting).

Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastard novels The Lies of Locke Lamora, Red Seas Under a Red Sky, and The Republic of Thieves are good heist-novels, with the third (of a projected seven) finally out a few weeks back.

Lynch's girlfriend, Elizabeth Bear, is an even better writer in my opinion - her current project is a trilogy called Eternal Sky, fantasy with a Central Asian flavour rather than the usual Medieval Europe one. If you go to podcastle.org, you can check out some of her other work in audio format for free.

And I remain a fan of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time - after the third book they take a turn towards the political rather than the questing adventure stories they started out as, but I don't mind. And although the pace of the story-telling drops considerably for a bit, I'd say the only book in the series that's below par would be the tenth, Crossroads of Twilight, and even that works fine when you re-read it a second time, knowing the stuff that is being set up in it.

I'm assuming you've heard of A Song of Ice and Fire.

If you don't mind stories with a lot of (occasionally rather kinky) sex in them, check out Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel and Naamah trilogies. I should point out that the third book in the first trilogy, Kushiel's Avatar, has one of the most stomach-churning sequences I've ever read in a fiction piece.


Orthos wrote:

Mistborn is on my to-read list as well. On the subject of Sanderson, The Way of Kings is awesome, but to quote TVTropes:

Quote:
Doorstopper: Quoth Sanderson's friend and Schlock Mercenary creator Howard Tayler: "This 1000-page tome is the best argument you’ll have all year to get an e-reader, because you HAVE to have this book, but you might not be muscular enough to carry it around."

met him at comic con a few years back when a friend of mine that I turned on to the series went to get his autograph. Great guy. Looks like one of my players in my kingmaker game. Also the friend that hit his autograph is in both of my games, darklight sisterhood and kingmaker.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber
Freehold DM wrote:
Orthos wrote:

Mistborn is on my to-read list as well. On the subject of Sanderson, The Way of Kings is awesome, but to quote TVTropes:

Quote:
Doorstopper: Quoth Sanderson's friend and Schlock Mercenary creator Howard Tayler: "This 1000-page tome is the best argument you’ll have all year to get an e-reader, because you HAVE to have this book, but you might not be muscular enough to carry it around."
met him at comic con a few years back when a friend of mine that I turned on to the series went to get his autograph. Great guy. Looks like one of my players in my kingmaker game.

`

Are you sure it's not him? I hear he's got nothing against the occasional game of Pathfinder. ;)


Time to do stuff. See ya in a few hours.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Orthos wrote:
Nooooooo! Give them to a used bookstore or something!

That's what I'm doing. I'm buying them on ebook (8 bits to a byte and all.)


Kajehase wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Orthos wrote:

Mistborn is on my to-read list as well. On the subject of Sanderson, The Way of Kings is awesome, but to quote TVTropes:

Quote:
Doorstopper: Quoth Sanderson's friend and Schlock Mercenary creator Howard Tayler: "This 1000-page tome is the best argument you’ll have all year to get an e-reader, because you HAVE to have this book, but you might not be muscular enough to carry it around."
met him at comic con a few years back when a friend of mine that I turned on to the series went to get his autograph. Great guy. Looks like one of my players in my kingmaker game.

`

Are you sure it's not him? I hear he's got nothing against the occasional game of Pathfinder. ;)

dming for am author of his skill remains a dream/nightmare of mine.


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

And Iceland is 1-0 up against Norway. Whoo!


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

If Iceland were to make it to the World Cup, they'll be the smallest nation to have ever qualified.

When the qualifications groups were drawn, they were seeded below the Faroe Islands.

Shadow Lodge

TriOmegaZero wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Nooooooo! Give them to a used bookstore or something!
That's what I'm doing. I'm buying them on ebook (8 bits to a byte and all.)

Whew. Had me scared for a minute there.

93,751 to 93,800 of 238,382 << first < prev | 1871 | 1872 | 1873 | 1874 | 1875 | 1876 | 1877 | 1878 | 1879 | 1880 | 1881 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.