Ideas for Future Golarion Day Content


Lost Omens Campaign Setting General Discussion

Scarab Sages RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

This is a Thread for people to throw out ideas on what they would like to see as part of future Golarion Day Blog posts.

I figured it would be better for it to have it's own Thread rather than Paizo Staff having to sift thrugh all of the Sable Company posts to get an idea of what people want to see. :)

Scarab Sages RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

As for what I'd like to see:

I'd really like to see some more info on the Darklight Sisterhood.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

This is a great idea for a thread; post your requests here, folks!

Not everything requested here will make it to Golarion Day (after all, at most we'll be doing like only 52 a year, and I wouldn't be surprised to see this thread hit 52 posts in 24 hours), but who knows what request might bear fruit?

Shadow Lodge

Personally, I would like to see a storyline somewhat continue (even if it is in a "what if" sense).

I would really like to start seeing how the whole no more prophecies, Aroden thing unfolds, because frankly I don't like it. (I like using prophecy and destiny in games, and it becomes a pointless story device if everyone knows that prophecies are unrelyable or downright wrong).

I'd like to see some Assimar developement, maybe in responce to Cheliax and the Thune abominations, some expansion of Andoran, both Rahadoum (the deities really are not pleased) and Razmiran (maybe he passes the test of the starstone) progressed and developed.

Maybe a new deity or a few, some who pass the test of the starstne, and one or two who do not, but somehow stil rise. . .


Beckett wrote:

Personally, I would like to see a storyline somewhat continue (even if it is in a "what if" sense).

I would really like to start seeing how the whole no more prophecies, Aroden thing unfolds, because frankly I don't like it. (I like using prophecy and destiny in games, and it becomes a pointless story device if everyone knows that prophecies are unrelyable or downright wrong).

I'd like to see some Assimar developement, maybe in responce to Cheliax and the Thune abominations, some expansion of Andoran, both Rahadoum (the deities really are not pleased) and Razmiran (maybe he passes the test of the starstone) progressed and developed.

Maybe a new deity or a few, some who pass the test of the starstne, and one or two who do not, but somehow stil rise. . .

You know, my current PF game is based around prophecy.

More specifically, it's based around the fact that not only did the prophecies that foretold heroic golden ages die, so to did the ones that guaranteed that a bunch of the worst Sealed Evils in Cans would never again be set free. As one NPC put it in a key moment of the story, with Aroden's death "It is as if a mighty wind blew through the darkest dungeons of the cosmos, and with that breath, jarred loose all the locks."

I've also been of the opinion that with prophecy broken, the universe has started spinning heroic souls into existence like crazy.

Destiny doesn't vanish just because prophecies aren't working like they're supposed to. It just ceases to become a guarantee.

Also, +1 on more tidbits on how Aroden's death has changed Golarion's cosmology in little ways.

Shadow Lodge

Let me rephrase. I like prophecy and destiny to work like riddles. Something that characters can, if they want or are interested in both figure out (out of game) and are encouraged to attempt to thwart or ignor as well as fullfill or get around. The fact that in PF prophecy is essentually some bum says something and it is just as likely to be rue as a drunken bums ramblings, in my opinion, is just stupid. It pretty much sends the message to the players that you can just ignor this, because real prophecy or not, it is all coincedence in the end.

Now I could easily see this being a major point of (if not the focus of) an adventure path, but it feels a lot like PF's way of having Eleminister show up to fight the final boss now that the players have gotten to the last battle.

It is easier for a GM to simply not use prophecy than it is to make those that do enjoy it need to either ignor or houserule against that.

Now maybe when the whole mystery of Aroden's death and the plot behind it is wrapped up, this will change, (kind of doubt it) and I would be all for that. But this is just one of those things that I really hate about Golarian. It seems forced for one, and doesn't really make it unique as much as less desirable.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Beckett wrote:
Personally, I would like to see a storyline somewhat continue (even if it is in a "what if" sense).

That's actually what we do with our Adventure Paths and modules.

As for the reason why we "exiled" prophecies from Golarion—that's because we actually AREN'T fans of that cliche. We're pretty sick of it, in fact. Combined with the fact that player characters have an uncanny knack for not playing along with prophecies, it made sense to tie the death of prophecy in Golarion, essentially, to the point in time more or less when player characters start showing up in the world.

One can define a world as easily by saying what's NOT in the world as well as what IS in the world. Golarion has an awful lot of cliche in it as it stands, for good or for ill. By saying that prophecies are no longer trustworthy and by avoiding them as story elements as best we can, that's a case of an exclusion helping to define the world's themes and character.

So... prophecies coming back to Golarion isn't something that'll happen. Just wanted to get that out in the open.

In addition, more information about Aroden's death is not something we'll be exploring in the blog. That is, by design, one of the great mysteries of the world.

The other requests for things (aasimar development, new deities, etc.) are more along the lines of what I'm looking for, though; those are cool ideas for Golarion Day exploration.

Lantern Lodge

The Sable Company article was a treat; it showcased a region, culture and interesting game mechanics all into one article. I would really enjoy similar content showcasing Advanced Player's Guide material within Golarion context. Things like:

How do inquisitors fit in with the Hellknights,

How are the oracles in the Land of the Linnorm Kings viewed?

Lets see the actual Witches of Irrissen.

I love the varied and rich history of the world. The Ancient history of Thassilion presented in the Rise of the Runelords was great, I'd love to see snippets of information on other ancient cultures spanning the history of Golarion.


So these will be small bits of information combined with small rules bits? Cool!

The sable marines part already does a good job.

My request/idea for Golarion Days:
Elves of the Mwangi!

The big jungle is not only home to weird serpent men, savage megafauna and native human tribes, but also to elves. Elves that chose to stay behind when most of their race left Golarion in disgust, elves that had 10000 years to combine their elven nature with this stalwartness and determination to stick to Golarion, as well as the cultures of the Mwangi.

Tell us a little bit about these elves and how they differ from those we might find in Kyonin, on the streets of Absalom, or the woods and cities of the "more civilised" parts of the inner sea region.

Interesting rules titbits might be a spirit talker archetype or just a couple of traits.

Shadow Lodge

James Jacobs wrote:
In addition, more information about Aroden's death is not something we'll be exploring in the blog. That is, by design, one of the great mysteries of the world.

Not necessarily in the blog, but I think this would be really interesting to drop hints and clues throughout verious books, allowing players to piece things together, (and not all need to be true).

James Jacobs wrote:
The other requests for things (aasimar development, new deities, etc.) are more along the lines of what I'm looking for, though; those are cool ideas for Golarion Day exploration.

Those two things I am very interested in learning more of. I much perfere Aasimar's than Tieflings, but that and Drow seem to be what most people focus on, (not necessarily Paizo, just people in general).

As for the deities, I just think this would be cool, to though in a little more variety and shake things up a bit.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Beckett wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
In addition, more information about Aroden's death is not something we'll be exploring in the blog. That is, by design, one of the great mysteries of the world.
Not necessarily in the blog, but I think this would be really interesting to drop hints and clues throughout verious books, allowing players to piece things together, (and not all need to be true).

Who's to say we haven't already been doing that from the start? ;-)


Personally I wouldn't mind knowing more about the Mendevian Crusades. Major battles and events, notable NPCs (including more details on the demonologist Kutholiam Vuere), celestial activity in Mendev (possibly some named celestials?), more detail about the various factions participating in the crusades, locations, notable demons...the list goes on. :D


+1 for more info on Aasimars

+1 for information on groups alluded to in canon, like the Knights of Ozem, maybe similer alternate class features, etc.


+1 to Mwangi elves

...also the Mwangi dwarves, other races - any orcs? why not?

...also info on Walkena (of course) and his cult/police state

...anything on ancient Mwangi original culture

...anything on Azlanti "style" - appears Mayan or Aztec to me

...anything on Jistka Imperium

(basically in Pathfinders are into the ancient past, I want stuff on the ancient past or on my new favorite place, southwest Garund)

Scarab Sages RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

In addition to what people have asked for regarding more info on Aasimar in Golarion, I would extend that to maybe include the other "playable" races in the Bestiary and Bestiary 2 (or at the very least, the Planetouched Races, which are the most likely to be used as PCs). Most notably, where on Golarion each race might be found in numbers so as to give people who want to play them food for creating a backstory for their character (I'm a big fan of Character Backstory as you could probably tell from my extensive list of PbP characters in my profile).

Liberty's Edge

+1 to the aasimars. I particularly enjoyed a certain aasimar in one of the AP's. A particularly nice change from the expected.

So, I guess my personal request is kinda open ended. More of the unexpected things like the aasimar in question. What other things on Golarion are different and special?

I'm also a big fan of character backstory, so anything that helps with that is also a big plus.


Also, it might be cool to get some more information on House Thrune.

Shadow Lodge

Actually I would love some more info and possibly play options for things like the Mendevian Crusades, Knights of Ozem, Tengu, maybe some historical settings as well.

Not sure if Paizo is wanting to keep the specifics of things like ancient Thassilon and Azlanti cultures and times a mystery, per se, but it might be really cool to have some ideas how to play PF during those times. I remember one of the later issues of Dragon had an article about playing (in DragonLance) in the ancient city-state of Ishtar which I absolutely loved. Something along those lines.

Again, this could simply be a few contradicting ideas if Paizo wants to keep the actual truth unknown.

Or maybe guidelines one playing during the death of Aroden in Cheliax through the Thrune uprising, or funding of Andoran, (sort of like a Kingmaker style short campaign).

Maybe some info on Sivanah, Milani, Arazni, Zyphus, and the Lastwall/Shining Crusade, (again aimed at playing in that era).

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Beckett wrote:
Not sure if Paizo is wanting to keep the specifics of things like ancient Thassilon and Azlanti cultures and times a mystery, per se, but it might be really cool to have some ideas how to play PF during those times. I remember one of the later issues of Dragon had an article about playing (in DragonLance) in the ancient city-state of Ishtar which I absolutely loved. Something along those lines.

Providing information about ancient empires like Thassilon or Azlant isn't something we'll never do; we've been doing that since Pathfinder #1, in fact. It's a pretty huge subject, though, and providing enough information for someone to be able to play a campaign set in such an ancient realm would take, at MINIMUM, a 64 page book. that's more than a singe blog post or, indeed, a year's worth of weekly blog posts could really hope to cover, unfortunately.

Golarion Day posts will focus on modern day Golarion as a result. For the most part. (I say this mostly so that, some day, if we DO do a Thassilon post, it'll be a happy surprise.)


That ethics-of-Mengkare thread has made me jones a bit for more Hermea-related stuff. Info on the test of citizenship or how they pick people to recruit, for example. Or more information about why life in Hermea is so cool that an invitation to be there is so eagerly sought.

I'm also a little fascinated by the Pactmasters.

Shadow Lodge

James Jacobs wrote:

Providing information about ancient empires like Thassilon or Azlant isn't something we'll never do; we've been doing that since Pathfinder #1, in fact. It's a pretty huge subject, though, and providing enough information for someone to be able to play a campaign set in such an ancient realm would take, at MINIMUM, a 64 page book. that's more than a singe blog post or, indeed, a year's worth of weekly blog posts could really hope to cover, unfortunately.

My apologies. I didn't mean a complete document as much as tips and ideas for those time periods. Now if you wanted to do a 64 page book, I certainly wouldn't complain. . .


I just found this thread again for another post, and it made me think:

A great Golarion Day blog would be to have some J. Carlisle symbols done up for the planets in the Golarion solar system — along with a blog on their Azlanti origin, and how they might relate to the schools of magic, etc.

A whole post on Golarion astrology, please!

EDIT: And if you want to relate that to the Per-Day nature of magic, that's just peachy with me!

Sczarni RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

Evil Lincoln wrote:

A great Golarion Day blog would be to have some J. Carlisle symbols done up for the planets in the Golarion solar system — along with a blog on their Azlanti origin, and how they might relate to the schools of magic, etc.

A whole post on Golarion astrology, please!

I would think astrology and symbols would be different for different races and locations. I could see each human race alone having their own and as time has progressed, even the Ulfen having multiple variations as they have spread and contacted/absorbed new ideas from different cultures.

I would like to see more about trade, as it tends to have a large influence. And of course the Prophecies of Kalistrade.

Dark Archive

Thoughts;

1) Ed Greenwood used to fashion entire articles on down to earth stuff like types of popular food, or mixed drinks, or artistic styles, of a particular region. Some people apparently hated that sort of thing, but I'm always fascinated by those little sidebars, like 'Ten Superstitions of Corentyn Commoners' or 'Top Ten Drinks of Ilizmagorti.' (Both from Cities of Golarion.)

Each region likely has it's own flair for food, architecture, common construction materials, preferences for clothing, etc. based on local materials available, styles, climate, etc. and 'flavor' articles on different areas go a long way to helping a GM to make one region more distinctive and 'alive' for the players. What do they eat in Mendev? Lots of beef? Lots of goat? Lots of root vegetables? What sort of foods are 'kosher' according to the strict dietary restrictions of the Kalistocracy of Druma?

2) Owen K.C. Stephens has a fair amount of stuff that was culled from the Guide to Absalom posted online already. I'm sure he's not the only author who over-writes, and has good stuff lying around that would make neat 'Web Extras.' (Todd Stewart, frex.)

3) Variations on current rules content (or stuff that was created for 3.5, in earlier APs) also has endless potential.

For instance, we've seen a Bloatmage Initiate feat, and a Bloatmage PrC, but now that Archetypes are the new hotness, it might be interesting to see how the Bloatmage would work as an Archetype, instead of a Feat + PrC.

Seeing Archetype variations on other 'iconic' Golarion groups, like Hellknight Archetypes for Clerics, Paladins, Cavaliers and Inquisitors, or Red Mantis Assassin Archetypes for Bards, Rogues, Monks, Rangers and Fighters, or a 'High Priest of Razmir' Archetype for Sorcerers, Adepts(!) or Bards, could be neat as well.

4) There's been plenty of messageboard discussion about how Clerics, Paladins, etc. do or do not need dieties, but it might be nice to have a definitive article on the subject. So far, Clerics explicitly must have a god in Golarion, and Oracles do not need to have a god, but Paladins, Druids, Rangers, Inquisitors and Adepts are less clear. If, for instance, Oracles and Adepts and Rangers and Druids can all function sans diety, places like Rahadoum and Razmiran have greatly increased access to divine spellcasting, while not having any actual Clerics running around.

The need to dredge up a messageboard post from one of the developers saying 'Clerics in Golarion must have gods!' or 'No Paladins of Asmodeus!' every time the subject comes up might be curtailed if there was an actual article on the subject to link.

[Not that I'm gonna gank my mechanically sub-optimal Rahadoumi Adept / Monk if it's suddenly made canonical that Adepts can't function without a god. I reserve the right to mulishly ignore flavor text I don't like! :)]


Famous, infamous, interesting and influential families of Golarion would make a great article.

Sovereign Court

I'd like to hear more about the secret order of good Chelaxian monks. That was a little teaser that always stuck with me.


Thomas LeBlanc wrote:
Evil Lincoln wrote:

A great Golarion Day blog would be to have some J. Carlisle symbols done up for the planets in the Golarion solar system — along with a blog on their Azlanti origin, and how they might relate to the schools of magic, etc.

A whole post on Golarion astrology, please!

I would think astrology and symbols would be different for different races and locations. I could see each human race alone having their own and as time has progressed, even the Ulfen having multiple variations as they have spread and contacted/absorbed new ideas from different cultures.

I would like to see more about trade, as it tends to have a large influence. And of course the Prophecies of Kalistrade.

People keep saying that, but... we only really have one set of such symbols in all of western culture. They derive from Greek/Roman origin, so I think an Azlanti analog isn't too much of a stretch. Obviously, Tien and the eastern nations will have their own traditions.


Pathfinder Card Game, Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber
Set wrote:

Thoughts;

1) Ed Greenwood used to fashion entire articles on down to earth stuff like types of popular food, or mixed drinks, or artistic styles, of a particular region. Some people apparently hated that sort of thing, but I'm always fascinated by those little sidebars, like 'Ten Superstitions of Corentyn Commoners' or 'Top Ten Drinks of Ilizmagorti.' (Both from Cities of Golarion.)

Each region likely has it's own flair for food, architecture, common construction materials, preferences for clothing, etc. based on local materials available, styles, climate, etc. and 'flavor' articles on different areas go a long way to helping a GM to make one region more distinctive and 'alive' for the players. What do they eat in Mendev? Lots of beef? Lots of goat? Lots of root vegetables? What sort of foods are 'kosher' according to the strict dietary restrictions of the Kalistocracy of Druma?

2) Owen K.C. Stephens has a fair amount of stuff that was culled from the Guide to Absalom posted online already. I'm sure he's not the only author who over-writes, and has good stuff lying around that would make neat 'Web Extras.' (Todd Stewart, frex.)

3) Variations on current rules content (or stuff that was created for 3.5, in earlier APs) also has endless potential.

For instance, we've seen a Bloatmage Initiate feat, and a Bloatmage PrC, but now that Archetypes are the new hotness, it might be interesting to see how the Bloatmage would work as an Archetype, instead of a Feat + PrC.

Seeing Archetype variations on other 'iconic' Golarion groups, like Hellknight Archetypes for Clerics, Paladins, Cavaliers and Inquisitors, or Red Mantis Assassin Archetypes for Bards, Rogues, Monks, Rangers and Fighters, or a 'High Priest of Razmir' Archetype for Sorcerers, Adepts(!) or Bards, could be neat as well.

4) There's been plenty of messageboard discussion about how Clerics, Paladins, etc. do or do not need dieties, but it might be nice to have a definitive article on the subject. So far, Clerics explicitly must have...

+1 especially one and two

Dark Archive

Set wrote:
1) Ed Greenwood used to fashion entire articles on down to earth stuff like types of popular food, or mixed drinks, or artistic styles, of a particular region. Some people apparently hated that sort of thing, but I'm always fascinated by those little sidebars, like 'Ten Superstitions of Corentyn Commoners' or 'Top Ten Drinks of Ilizmagorti.'

This!

I would love to find out what, if any, is the Mona Lisa equivalent in Golarion (no more than one Erik Mona jokes allowed).

Or which person in Golarion, living or dead, is a close approximation of William Shakespear.

I would love to learn what is the closest equivalent to the sword Excalibur. Not only in terms of ability or power but rather the sword's reknown throughout the world.

Perhaps we could cover who on Golarion is considered the greatest military strategist of all time and what legacy that individual left behind.

Or (as Set said above) we could just discuss what is the favorite/most widespread/best selling ice cream flavor of Golarion is.

And of course, what happens if you dig under the end of a rainbow in Golarion.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Lost Omens Campaign Setting / General Discussion / Ideas for Future Golarion Day Content All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.