Wand Wielder + Spell Combat + Use Magic Device = GM Hates me?


Round 3: Revised Magus Discussion


Using Wand Wielder and Use Magic Device with a wand of Cure Moderate Wounds means that I should be able to take my full attack action and activate the wand to heal myself in the same round yes?

Seems a little broken to me, am I missing something?

Sovereign Court

2d8+3 damage healed while full attacking for a -2 to all attacks and dependent on a concentration roll and UMD check? (AFAIK?)

Hardly broken, go ahead.


That's hardly a big deal. The standing power of the tactic is valid but not broken, and it comes with an uncertainty cost(and at levels which you know you autopass the rolls the gain isn't as significant), like Kilcoyne said.

It's also balanced when you consider wand wielder means you burn gps every round.
Oh, and except on the most exceptional cases, being ready to spellcombat with wands means you can't cast any other spell that has a somatic component until you drop the wand.

Sovereign Court

Also if on a point buy, you can't rely on a good old 7 charisma anymore now you need UMD, increasing MAD...


I supose I hadn't thought about it from the perspective of Damage I'm not doing and the number of rolls necissary.

So, a good tactic to keep my Magus alive but not overly powerful or broken when considering the trade off.

Thanks for spelling it out for me, I needed the other viewpoints.


Alexander Kilcoyne wrote:

2d8+3 damage healed while full attacking for a -2 to all attacks and dependent on a concentration roll and UMD check? (AFAIK?)

Hardly broken, go ahead.

I may be wrong here but using wands don't provoke attacks of opportunity so why do a concentration check? I was going to make a wand/staff wielding magus for this fact alone. If I'm wrong then there's always the 5' step lol

Liberty's Edge

theveggiejerk wrote:
I may be wrong here but using wands don't provoke attacks of opportunity so why do a concentration check? I was going to make a wand/staff wielding magus for this fact alone. If I'm wrong then there's always the 5' step lol

Necroposting is generally bad.

You are correct. Wands do not provoke AoO.

Also, after very carefully reading the current (beta playtest) Spell Combat rules, I can't find anything that prevents a Magus from full-rounding with a one-hander, 5' stepping, then casting a spell. Am I missing something?


You are correct.


BobChuck wrote:
theveggiejerk wrote:
I may be wrong here but using wands don't provoke attacks of opportunity so why do a concentration check? I was going to make a wand/staff wielding magus for this fact alone. If I'm wrong then there's always the 5' step lol

Necroposting is generally bad.

You are correct. Wands do not provoke AoO.

Also, after very carefully reading the current (beta playtest) Spell Combat rules, I can't find anything that prevents a Magus from full-rounding with a one-hander, 5' stepping, then casting a spell. Am I missing something?

what's necroposting? is that like posting on an old thread? whoops! well at least I didn't start a new one to ask a question already answered

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
BobChuck wrote:
theveggiejerk wrote:
I may be wrong here but using wands don't provoke attacks of opportunity so why do a concentration check? I was going to make a wand/staff wielding magus for this fact alone. If I'm wrong then there's always the 5' step lol

Necroposting is generally bad.

You are correct. Wands do not provoke AoO.

Also, after very carefully reading the current (beta playtest) Spell Combat rules, I can't find anything that prevents a Magus from full-rounding with a one-hander, 5' stepping, then casting a spell. Am I missing something?

using wands may not provoke but doing the touch to cure surely does.


What? Touch to cure causes AoO? It's only an attack if the target creature is unwilling, and even then your touch is empowered by a spell, at which point it stops provoking AoOs as normal for touch spells.

Liberty's Edge

theveggiejerk wrote:
what's necroposting? is that like posting on an old thread? whoops! well at least I didn't start a new one to ask a question already answered

Yes, posting in a thread that is "old enough" - vaguely defined as no longer visible on the first few pages of the forum, or at least a few weeks old - is defined as "necroposting" and generally discouraged.

Depending on the (new) question asked and its relevancy to the (old) topic, a new thread may be preferable.

In this case, I think you are fine. My comment was more of a general "necroposting is bad" reminder, since there did not appear to be much to your post.

But, on further consideration, and based on what you've said/written since, I'm going to guess that you are new to the whole "internet forum" thing, and that despite your relative lack of experience, you managed to find this thread by using the search function, which is to be applauded.

I'm also going to guess that it mostly answered your question, but the mention of concentration left you wanting a little more clarification. Either a reply or a new topic would have been acceptable.

Anyway, Welcome to the forums!.

Here's a really handy link to the Community-Maintained version of the Pathfinder SRD. All the pathfinder rules are 100% open content, so everything is there. If you like the game, and want them to continue producing excellent material, you should buy the books anyway - you aren't a proper gamer if you don't have multiple 400 page gaming books laying around.

Have fun!

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Synapse wrote:
What? Touch to cure causes AoO? It's only an attack if the target creature is unwilling, and even then your touch is empowered by a spell, at which point it stops provoking AoOs as normal for touch spells.

The touch to cure provokes if you in a threathened space, so yes it provokes from the guy who's beating on you. Being empowered by a spell only protects you if the spell is a weapon spell like shocking grasp.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
LazarX wrote:
The touch to cure provokes if you in a threathened space, so yes it provokes from the guy who's beating on you.

Since when? Where is that in the rules? I can't tell you how many time our party members should have died if that's true.


LazarX wrote:
Synapse wrote:
What? Touch to cure causes AoO? It's only an attack if the target creature is unwilling, and even then your touch is empowered by a spell, at which point it stops provoking AoOs as normal for touch spells.
The touch to cure provokes if you in a threathened space, so yes it provokes from the guy who's beating on you. Being empowered by a spell only protects you if the spell is a weapon spell like shocking grasp.

Casting the spell may provoke, but, as the rules say, "touching with a touch spell is armed and therefore does not provoke an attack of opportunity". Friendly spells are no exception.

Community / Forums / Archive / Pathfinder / Playtests & Prerelease Discussions / Ultimate Magic Playtest / Round 3: Revised Magus Discussion / Wand Wielder + Spell Combat + Use Magic Device = GM Hates me? All Messageboards
Recent threads in Round 3: Revised Magus Discussion