Guesses on Magus specific Feats?


Round 3: Revised Magus Discussion

The Exchange

The obvious two:

Extra Arcana (get an extra one Arcana)
Extra Arcane Pool (get 2 extra pool points)

Any others spring to mind?

Scarab Sages

Improved Arcane Weapon:
Prerequisite: Magus Level 8

Effect: When you enhance your weapon with your Arcane Pool, the enhancement lasts for 1 minute per level of Magus you possess, or until you use the ability again.

Greater Arcane Weapon:
Prerequisite: Magus Level 14

Effect: When you enhance your weapon with your Arcane Pool, the enhancement lasts for 1 hour per level of Magus you possess, or until you use the ability again.


Multi Arcane weapon
Prerequisites: arcane weapon +2, two weapon fighting
Benefit: You may split the bonus from your arcane weapon between two melee weapons. Each one must gain at least a +1 bonus.


Not Magus only, but I think we'll see Improved Arcane Strike and possibly Greater Arcane Strike. Not sure what exactly they will do, though they may allow you to treat the weapons you are imbuing with energy as certain materials for purposes of bypassing DR. Another idea is possibly making it +1d4 damage at the Arcane Strike breakpoints instead of just +1. This would be higher damage overall, but of course would not be multiplied on a crit.


I am using a house-ruled Extra Arcana feat in my campaign. Oh man, are some of those Arcanas better than any feat. The same could be said about Revelations, though

The Exchange

How about a Feat to trade a spell slot for Arcane Pool points of an equal level?


Seems overpowered when you can then turn around and cast it for half its level in spell points when you have improved pool spell.

I had thought about that one too.

"I trade a 4th level spell for 4 points, then cast a 4th level spell for 2 points!" Don't think that's gonna work.

The Exchange

Yeah, the Improved Spell Pool does kinda' ruin that one... unless it was a harsher exchange rate - slot level for slot level /2 pool points... less attractive, but some may like it.


Trading at 2:1 will be necessary. It also will have to cost actions(standard or full-round) to trade each because otherwise you make the magus a faux-spontaneous.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
ProfPotts wrote:

The obvious two:

Extra Arcana (get an extra one Arcana)
Extra Arcane Pool (get 2 extra pool points)

Any others spring to mind?

Combat Casting. the Magus needs it more than any other caster.


LazarX wrote:
ProfPotts wrote:

The obvious two:

Extra Arcana (get an extra one Arcana)
Extra Arcane Pool (get 2 extra pool points)

Any others spring to mind?

Combat Casting. the Magus needs it more than any other caster.

Less than you would believe. Magi can sacrifice attack rolls for bonuses to concentration. They can also use spell combat without casting defensively, if they want. Combat Casting lost most of its value now.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Synapse wrote:
They can also use spell combat without casting defensively, if they want. Combat Casting lost most of its value now.

They still need to cast defensively under threat just like any caster.


LazarX wrote:
Synapse wrote:
They can also use spell combat without casting defensively, if they want. Combat Casting lost most of its value now.
They still need to cast defensively under threat just like any caster.

Or just take the AoO. Low-level Magi tend to have decent armor, especially the Finesse/Dervish Dance builds.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

And there is nothing preventing them from using the tried and true 5-foot step. Simply make your full attack, step away, and cast your spell.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Ravingdork wrote:
And there is nothing preventing them from using the tried and true 5-foot step. Simply make your full attack, step away, and cast your spell.

And if you're a magus using spell combat, that's exactly what you DON"T want to do.


LazarX wrote:
Ravingdork wrote:
And there is nothing preventing them from using the tried and true 5-foot step. Simply make your full attack, step away, and cast your spell.
And if you're a magus using spell combat, that's exactly what you DON"T want to do.

Please explain. Worst case you will have to keep going back and forth, thus escaping the checks once every two rounds instead of every round. If the enemy flees, you won't have time to use SC anyway, and if it chases you can just SC with 5' steps every round.

And if you aren't using only touch spells in the first place, you don't even have to worry about that.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
LazarX wrote:
Ravingdork wrote:
And there is nothing preventing them from using the tried and true 5-foot step. Simply make your full attack, step away, and cast your spell.
And if you're a magus using spell combat, that's exactly what you DON"T want to do.

Why not?

EDIT: Gah! Ninja'd.

Synapse wrote:
Please explain. Worst case you will have to keep going back and forth, thus escaping the checks once every two rounds instead of every round. If the enemy flees, you won't have time to use SC anyway, and if it chases you can just SC with 5' steps every round.

Not only that, but it means you won't be forced to make a concentration check each round to cast your spell in melee. If you start your turn adjacent, full attack, step back and blast them. If you don't start adjacent, blast them, step in, and then full attack.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Mainly because once you've taken your full round attack you either get to cast your spell or take your 5 foot step. Doing either ends your turn. So you don't get to do both.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
LazarX wrote:
Mainly because once you've taken your full round attack you either get to cast your spell or take your 5 foot step. Doing either ends your turn. So you don't get to do both.

How so?

None of what you describes ends your turn.

Taking a full round action doesn't end your turn either.

Only declaring the end of your turn ends your turn.*

Otherwise, you would never have the opportunity to use any number of perfectly legal free actions or swift actions at the end of your turn.

* I suppose the GM can end your turn as well if you're being an asshat about how long you're taking.


Declaring the use of your full action to "use Spell Combat" does not deprive you of a 5 ft. step.

To qoute: You can take a 5-foot step before, during, or after your other actions in the round.

Magus declares Spell Combat, swings sword at -2, takes a 5 ft. step back, sends nasty ray spell at a different target. This is the same as a TWF fighter killing one foe then taking a 5 ft. step forward and finishing up the attacks on the guy behind.

*****

On topic, aside from the first two mentioned I dont there will be much else directly for the magus. It depends if those 1/day arcanas get revised, if they dont then perhaps a feat to increase the number of uses per day.

Community / Forums / Archive / Pathfinder / Playtests & Prerelease Discussions / Ultimate Magic Playtest / Round 3: Revised Magus Discussion / Guesses on Magus specific Feats? All Messageboards
Recent threads in Round 3: Revised Magus Discussion