New Order of the Stick Strip Up


Comics

3,501 to 3,550 of 5,862 << first < prev | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | next > last >>
Scarab Sages

By the way, they clearly aren't using pathfinder grappling rules, or Roy wouldn't have been able to two-hand that sword swing.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Imbicatus wrote:
For a guy with an 18 intelligence, he can be really dumb sometimes....

He is probably more at 15 to 16 INT, but Plot trumps Stat.

Amazing INT for a Fighter though.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

At first glance, I believe this strip is further evidence for my conjecture that the green glow in his sword is triggered by anger. Maybe my assessment will change upon further rereadings.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Imbicatus wrote:
By the way, they clearly aren't using pathfinder grappling rules, or Roy wouldn't have been able to two-hand that sword swing.

Either that or the GM just said "Screw it, Rule of Cool"

Dark Archive Vendor - Fantasiapelit Tampere

6 people marked this as a favorite.

Oh, damn. Durkula should watch his mouth. Same kind of tactic did really not work for Vader either.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Andostre wrote:
I think I'm pinning all of my hopes and dreams on the Greenhilt sword's undead bane proc that still hasn't happened, yet.

YESSSSSSS


3 people marked this as a favorite.

SLICE the beard! There's a chin yearning to be freeeee!

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm a little disappointed that after Roy's revelation, we didn't get the reaction shots from Durkula and Durkon yet. I'm assuming that will be the start of the next page. I hope Durkon's soul has a good comment for the vampire "soul".

I wonder if the undead bane kicking in was directly tied to Roy no longer holding back. On some level, he didn't want to hurt his friend before, even though he knew what he had to do to save the world. Now, he knows its not his friend, so he's truly going all out.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

"SCHRRRIP!"

THAT'S GOTTA HURT.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

How could the comment about his brother enlighten Roy that Durkula was not Durkon ? Some memory that Durkula did not find or misunderstood ?

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
The Raven Black wrote:
How could the comment about his brother enlighten Roy that Durkula was not Durkon ? Some memory that Durkula did not find or misunderstood ?

Explained by Rich here.

Rich's response:
Quote:
I think Roy is just realizing that this level of sadism doesn't fit "Durkon, but Evil," especially since he's claiming Durkon was a jerk retroactively ("one thing I've always wondered").

Yes, exactly. This is a tactical error on the part of the vampire, not a trick on the part of Durkon.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Is it just me, or does it look like Roy is healed in that last panel? Sort of like a ring of vampiric regeneration from the green flames (which would make a boss power for the sword: basically, draining undead to heal the wielder; turn about is fair play)...

Also, I like the symmetry with the gladiator "try-out" scene, where Roy "knocked [Belkar] back to Basic..."


TriOmegaZero wrote:
The Raven Black wrote:
How could the comment about his brother enlighten Roy that Durkula was not Durkon ? Some memory that Durkula did not find or misunderstood ?

Explained by Rich here.

** spoiler omitted **

Huh. And here I thought it had something to do with Durkula talking about how he threw Belkar off a cliff, after failing to understand this significance. I was way off.

EDIT: I know it wasn't my fault.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dragonchess Player wrote:
Sort of like a ring of vampiric regeneration from the green flames (which would make a boss power for the sword: basically, draining undead to heal the wielder; turn about is fair play)...

Oooh! How much would that puppy cost?

Umm. I have a friend asking.

Tacticslion wrote:
I know it wasn't my fault.

I loved that strip.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Imbicatus wrote:
Roy FINALLY gets it. For a guy with an 18 intelligence, he can be really dumb sometimes....

He has Int 18? I knew he had above average intelligence, but I'd think something closer to 14-15...

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Drejk wrote:
Imbicatus wrote:
Roy FINALLY gets it. For a guy with an 18 intelligence, he can be really dumb sometimes....
He has Int 18? I knew he had above average intelligence, but I'd think something closer to 14-15...

I was thinking the same thing.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Roy had less than 18 intelligence at the time the mindfl*r attacked, back in strip 31 (since V claimed to have 18 in that strip, and the author said Roy had less).

Scarab Sages

I thought V had an INT in the 20s, but Roy had an 18 along with a good WIS and CHA. Oh well I guess I was wrong. Even still, he is above average in the mental department, but he makes a lot of assumptions and doesn't actually use his ability to think about things.

Especially when it comes to Durkon and Belkar.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

What is really going on here is that Rich understands that there are different fields of "intelligence," and Roy's is stronger in terms of engineering, math, structures, and the like. Roy cross-class-skills into Engineering, for example - and it's been proven useful against the bad guys.

Roy isn't especially perceptive, but he's educated. Yes, in game terms the INT stat means "You're super smart," but the real test is where he puts his skill points.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

Besides, I think this kind of thing would be more Wisdom anyway. Closer to Sense Motive than any other skill check I can think of.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Tacticslion wrote:
TriOmegaZero wrote:
The Raven Black wrote:
How could the comment about his brother enlighten Roy that Durkula was not Durkon ? Some memory that Durkula did not find or misunderstood ?

Explained by Rich here.

** spoiler omitted **

Huh. And here I thought it had something to do with Durkula talking about how he threw Belkar off a cliff, after failing to understand this significance. I was way off.

EDIT: I know it wasn't my fault.

Not that way off, as I think the two reactions of Roy did not in fact go together (which is not obvious at first read) :

"Did you just say" is likely linked to Durkula saying that he threw Belkar off a cliff, while the "I understand" which comes actually later and in another panel is the consequence as mentioned above of Durkula trying too hard to twist the knife about Roy's brother.

I thought at first that they went together, but it does not actually makes much sense ;-)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Eh, I think "Did you just say—" is pretty clearly linked to what Durkula just said: "And your brother, of course." The camera angles (widening out on the line) indicate that that's the key bit Roy's reacting to.

On an unrelated note, I really do wonder if Redcloak is going to pop up and have the Dark One be all, "Yeah, I don't care if I don't have a pantheon, I want my vote" and forcing his way into it. It's unlikely, but I could see it happening if Roy loses here. He's hardly a minor god.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

1010: Green Means Go.

I believe the proper term here is 'Getting Wrecked'.

And I think we have an answer as to whether or not Roy's sword has some sort of vampiric regeneration effect. :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

weird indeed.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

It looks like he might have a Weapon of Legacy.

Liberty's Edge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

It makes that future fight against Xykon look a little less one-sided.

Dark Archive

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Yes give in to your hate it has made you powerfull.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

ooooo pretty


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kevin Mack wrote:
Yes give in to your hate it has made you powerfull.

Though "take your father's place by my side" would not be a sensible thing for the main villain say. Unless it turns out that Redcloak is actually Eugene.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kobold Cleaver wrote:
Eh, I think "Did you just say—" is pretty clearly linked to what Durkula just said: "And your brother, of course." The camera angles (widening out on the line) indicate that that's the key bit Roy's reacting to.

Actually, I think he may be keying on the death of everyone in Azure City. I don't think there's any way that Durkon would know that all the Azurites are dead. The OOTS did not get word that Azure City was lost until after Durkon was a vampire. We could assume that Roy told Durkula on the airship trip, but I get the sense that Durkula was not spending time with everyone else during that trip.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Go! Go! Power Roy!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Itchy wrote:
Kobold Cleaver wrote:
Eh, I think "Did you just say—" is pretty clearly linked to what Durkula just said: "And your brother, of course." The camera angles (widening out on the line) indicate that that's the key bit Roy's reacting to.
Actually, I think he may be keying on the death of everyone in Azure City. I don't think there's any way that Durkon would know that all the Azurites are dead. The OOTS did not get word that Azure City was lost until after Durkon was a vampire. We could assume that Roy told Durkula on the airship trip, but I get the sense that Durkula was not spending time with everyone else during that trip.

1. The Order of the Stick was there when Azure City was lost. But if you're taking "the entire population of Azure City" to be totally clear-cut literal, bear in mind that the bulk of the civilian populace of Azure City is still alive and well—just stranded. The loss of the Resistance (a group of both Azurites and foreign organizations, bear in mind) is not what Durkula is referring to—Roy wasn't even alive when they died, nor had he made any commitments of protection to the Resistance. He had, however, made a commitment of protection in trying to avert the fall of Azure City. Which, again, Durkon was there for. Also, how would Durkula even know about the fall of the Resistance? That's outside Hel's interest and jurisdiction.

2. I would be strongly inclined to assume Durkula would be brought up to speed on something as important as the fall of the Resistance, reclusive or no.

3. Durkula was not shown to be reclusive during the ride (which makes sense, since he wouldn't want to arouse suspicion, and avoiding everyone is not something Durkon did). The only times he avoided everyone was while praying and while learning the Protection from Sunlight spell. We saw him up and about at other times.

4. Keep in mind that Roy's "Did you just say—" was not when he realized Durkula wasn't Durkon. Roy only broke free of the mind control later, while Durkon was tormenting him with guilt over his brother's death. Breaking free of the mind control was linked to the realization Durkula wasn't Durkon.

5. If we assume "Did you just say—" was in reaction to the mention of the fall of the Resistance, where was his reaction to the huge bombshell of his brother being mentioned? It would be very strange for Roy to not react at all to something like that.

6. Rich Burlew outright confirmed that Roy realized Durkula's deception because of the excessive cruelty Durkula practiced.

Someone Talking to Rich wrote:
I think Roy is just realizing that this level of sadism doesn't fit "Durkon, but Evil," especially since he's claiming Durkon was a jerk retroactively ("one thing I've always wondered").

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Awesome piece. Really this is one of the strips I live for :-)

Did Roy's sword also dispel Hel's Might ?

Spellsplinter Maneuver + the Green sword is devastating against undead spellcasters.

Since the green aura dissipated in the end, does this mean that Durkula has been destroyed ?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber
The Raven Black wrote:
Since the green aura dissipated in the end, does this mean that Durkula has been destroyed ?

I guess we'll find out more, but my impression is that the green aura affect, etc. is more tied to Roy's state of mind. When he went from straight rage to calming down more it seemed to dissipate.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Besides, I'm not sure Durkula's out of the fight yet...

By the way, would the Protection from Daylight spell persist if he was reduced to gaseous form, instead of shifting into it voluntarily?

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
The Raven Black wrote:
Since the green aura dissipated in the end, does this mean that Durkula has been destroyed ?

Extremely doubtful as there is more story to tell, but within the next nine strips we should get to the end of Hel's high (laid low) priest.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Alex Martin wrote:
The Raven Black wrote:
Since the green aura dissipated in the end, does this mean that Durkula has been destroyed ?
I guess we'll find out more, but my impression is that the green aura affect, etc. is more tied to Roy's state of mind. When he went from straight rage to calming down more it seemed to dissipate.

Indeed, it seemed to dissipate as soon as he took his focus away from Durkula. Which might be a big mistake if the vampire is not destroyed.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

1011: Red Means Stop.

Well, this is starting to look worse... I was kinda hoping things would have been wrapped up by now.

Dark Archive Bella Sara Charter Superscriber

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Looks like the big questions now are:

1. What kind of undead monstrosity is Belkar?
2. How the heck will this undead monstrosity be allowed to join the Order given the recent experience with Durkula?


3 people marked this as a favorite.

3. Why doesn't Roy carry a composite longbow with a variety of arrows like a sensible high-level Fighter?

Liberty's Edge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

This is what happens when you rely on the rogue for ranged support.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
John Woodford wrote:
This is what happens when you rely on the rogue for ranged support.

They are obviously house-ruling support for ranged sneak attacks, because no way would rogue get as many as Haley does in a normal game.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Imbicatus wrote:
John Woodford wrote:
This is what happens when you rely on the rogue for ranged support.
They are obviously house-ruling support for ranged sneak attacks, because no way would rogue get as many as Haley does in a normal game.

Either that or allowing a few 3PP/Pathfinder feats to make ranged flanking more workable. Or both.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

No, Haley just gets to attack from Stealth/win initiative a lot. She's never gotten a ranged sneak attack from flanking.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Now would be a good time for a certain mage to show up. Or a priest of Banjo.


7 people marked this as a favorite.
strayshift wrote:
Now would be a good time for a certain mage to show up. Or a priest of Banjo.

It would make sense for a priest of Banjo to respond to Free Cake


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Anti-Life Shell. More useful for NPCs than PCs


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber
Caineach wrote:
It would make sense for a priest of Banjo to respond to Free Cake

He might respond better if it was Free Pie!

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

1 person marked this as a favorite.

What about Roy throwing his "Undead Bane" sword?

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Green light is gone. Not undead-bane anymore.

I was thinking a dead Roy could get through the barrier and be returned to life once inside, but none of the representatives would dare raise him.

So, yes, undead is the best chance for the order to beat Durkula and undead Belkar would definitely fit the bill as well as fulfill his prediction.

Since Belkar is already CE, no reason that CE undead Blekar cannot fit with the rest of the OotS as long as his undead type does not force him to act against the wishes of rest of the party (ie, no vampire, ghoul ...).

Maybe a Ghost of Belkar ?

Though the Cleric of Hel could easily command an undead Belkar.

Wondering what "next phase" which benefited from Roy's demise was envisioned by Durkula. That's the thing about LE types : always plans within plans.

3,501 to 3,550 of 5,862 << first < prev | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Comics / New Order of the Stick Strip Up All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.