New Order of the Stick Strip Up


Comics

5,401 to 5,450 of 5,737 << first < prev | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | next > last >>

2 people marked this as a favorite.

And Thor is now back to being Thor.

Also I think Tiamat might know something but she's still miffed about helping elves...


Aye I think a shocking amount of time is going to pass during this conversation with Thor.


Also pretty much what dude said. Thor trying to smash heads and what have you.


And now, the ruthless pragmatic question: now that the Dark One has ascended, does he stay ascended? Do the other three quiddities have an infinite amount of time to make nice with him? I mean, yeah, letting this incarnation of reality go the way of the sapient movie snacks would suck for all of its current denizens, but do the pantheons have that option from a long-game standpoint? Or is the fact that the Dark One would have to similarly "cash out" his followers a point Durkon can use to make the bargain?

Silver Crusade

Tectorman wrote:
Or is the fact that the Dark One would have to similarly "cash out" his followers a point Durkon can use to make the bargain?

I'm assuming that's how he'll convince Redcloak, even if the Dark One won't listen.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Loki is turning into Tom Hiddleston ;-P

Tiamat is likely lying to further some scheme but maybe not her own. Maybe unknowingly the 3 Fiends' scheme

Come to think of it, the scope of their scheme fits with what we learned about the many worlds created and ended. Do they intend to usurp the 4 colors of the Snarl, or even the 5 existing colors and become the new masters of reality even above the gods ?

Are they the ones that told the Dark One about the Snarl ?

Maybe Redcloak will do the heroic thing in the end and gift the cloak to a worthier goblinoid who is not Xykon's lapdog

And I like how the greatest mortal spells are but a drop compared to the power of the gods :-)


I keep thinking the Fiends are perfectly content with the style of a world that includes a built-in cycle of hatred and destruction by designating a given race to be fully Evil. They'd be noticeably set back if the Dark One wins his case, regardless of what else happens.

The problem with hanging off the Mantle is that you still need a goblin with 9th level spell slots, which may mean Redcloak is the only one that qualifies.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

All I know is Loki is Tom Hiddleston, Thor is clearly Chris Hemsworth, and and the 3 Fiends are clearly corporate lobbyists.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Thomas Seitz wrote:
All I know is Loki is Tom Hiddleston, Thor is clearly Chris Hemsworth, and and the 3 Fiends are clearly corporate lobbyists.

Disagree. The three fiends are Kevin Feige, Louis D'Esposito, and Bob Iger.


Lord Fyre,

I dunno. I like Kevin. I think he's more Doctor Doom than fiend.

Bob Iger is definitely a fiend though...

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

1144: That's Jack's Fault


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Love it!

I've been whining about blonde Thor for years!

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
MageHunter wrote:

Love it!

I've been whining about blonde Thor for years!

Red Norvell says hello ;-)

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
MageHunter wrote:
I've been whining about blonde Thor for years!

I’m sure the Nordic curtains match the Viking drapes.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

1 person marked this as a favorite.
MageHunter wrote:

Love it!

I've been whining about blonde Thor for years!

That last line had me dying.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

OMG too funny.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

All I'm saying is if you want to blame Marvel for keeping a pagan religion from going under, then that's fine with me! :p :)

Also I still like the dig. :P


1 person marked this as a favorite.

It is weird that Marvels hercules/heracles is way more accurate then there Thor.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vidmaster7 wrote:
It is weird that Marvels hercules/heracles is way more accurate then there Thor.

[tangent] Although it does bug me that he uses the Roman spelling of Hercules, instead of the Greek Herakles, and is associated with Greek-named gods like Zeus and Hera, etc. and not the Roman versions, Jupiter and Juno.

Then again, Marvel's also got Pluto, instead of Hades, so it's just all flibbertigibbity up in there. [/tangent]


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Yeah that's true. I feel like some movie, tv show or something from awhile back caused that. Hercules started always being the used name for him whether Greek or roman. yet at the same time the roman names for the gods hardly ever get used in media. I'm pretty sure the one with Keven Sorbo (however you spell that) had the greek names too.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vidmaster7 wrote:
Yeah that's true. I feel like some movie, tv show or something from awhile back caused that. Hercules started always being the used name for him whether Greek or roman. yet at the same time the roman names for the gods hardly ever get used in media. I'm pretty sure the one with Keven Sorbo (however you spell that) had the greek names too.

I think it goes back further than that. For reasons unknown to me, Hercules has long been the form used in English, even as the other gods were commonly called by Roman names. "herculean" dates back to the 1500s. The Pillars of Hercules even earlier, I believe.

It might be that all the Roman names were used earlier, but the others fell out of use? I don't know. Maybe because Herakles and Hercules are much closer than most of the other names?

There was a 50s series of Hercules movies, most notably starring Steve Reeves. Early "sword and sandals" genre.

I'm going to say that's not really on Marvel, but it's the standard approach in English/American culture.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

All I know is Marvel Comics Hercules is way more interesting than DC Comics one...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

1145: The Highfather


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Poor Odin. At least this version is less of a dick...

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.

The High Father still makes more sense than the current White House administration.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I don't know...

Something about a bunch of dumb brutes hacking away at each other must be rather appealing to the Allfather...

I've always seen him as a God of War first before anything else. Odin was kinda OP let's be honest though...

Edit: Come to think of it, were we introduced to Frigg here? If I remember it right she's the more traditionally mystical one.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.

The barbarians rejecting magic altogether strikes me as a dig at 1st edition Unearthed Arcana.


Thomas Seitz wrote:
Poor Odin. At least this version is less of a dick...

But is the current one a dick only because we think he is?


Fromper wrote:
The barbarians rejecting magic altogether strikes me as a dig at 1st edition Unearthed Arcana.

I thought it was an implication that our world is/was the world before the OotS world.

And if so, I wonder if it has anything to do with the planet that Blackwing saw inside the Snarl's rift.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Andostre wrote:
Fromper wrote:
The barbarians rejecting magic altogether strikes me as a dig at 1st edition Unearthed Arcana.

I thought it was an implication that our world is/was the world before the OotS world.

And if so, I wonder if it has anything to do with the planet that Blackwing saw inside the Snarl's rift.

I think there was a joke filler script about Rich being sick and delirious, and mentioning a bunch of awful plot twists and Xykon visiting our Earth.

So probably not. :P


3 people marked this as a favorite.
MageHunter wrote:
Andostre wrote:
Fromper wrote:
The barbarians rejecting magic altogether strikes me as a dig at 1st edition Unearthed Arcana.

I thought it was an implication that our world is/was the world before the OotS world.

And if so, I wonder if it has anything to do with the planet that Blackwing saw inside the Snarl's rift.

I think there was a joke filler script about Rich being sick and delirious, and mentioning a bunch of awful plot twists and Xykon visiting our Earth.

So probably not. :P

Tiiiiiiime traaaaaaaaaavel!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Jumps a little bit to the left


1 person marked this as a favorite.

And then a step to the right

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Fromper wrote:
The barbarians rejecting magic altogether strikes me as a dig at 1st edition Unearthed Arcana.

I saw it as Conan all the way

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
MageHunter wrote:

I don't know...

Something about a bunch of dumb brutes hacking away at each other must be rather appealing to the Allfather...

I've always seen him as a God of War first before anything else. Odin was kinda OP let's be honest though...

Edit: Come to think of it, were we introduced to Frigg here? If I remember it right she's the more traditionally mystical one.

Odin is actually pretty strange. He is indeed the leader of a Pantheon where Magic is seen as a woman thing and not a warrior thing but he is also a god of magic and sorcery. IIRC he gave his eye to Mimir and hung himself on Yggdrasil to get mystical knowledge and power

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I still feel that Odin's weird words give cryptic clues that hint at the Snarl and the story. I wonder if Odin getting damaged because of clashing beliefs in the previous word is what gave birth to the purple quiddity

Nice to see the Lawful part of Durkon relieved that this was not all random and I also prefer his spirit uncrushed


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I always thought of Odin being defined as a god of magic was because basically every Nordic god was a deity of war in some fashion. "The one that gets out there and fights" isn't a unique identifier.


I suppose so but when it comes to warfare his idea of fun is making mortals fight and determining the path of battle.

I figured warfare meant something different to him than the other gods.


Vidmaster7 wrote:
Thomas Seitz wrote:
Poor Odin. At least this version is less of a dick...
But is the current one a dick only because we think he is?

No I'm pretty sure the current comic book Odin is still a dick.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Highfather, as in father who is "high"


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Not sure that's accurate Ebon Corvid.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

From what I recall Odin is basically a leftover of an older, shamanistic tradition, a remnant of an element that was otherwise mostly gone from Scandinavian culture.

While he was still regarded father of gods and head deity, he was slowly on his way out, in a few centuries wouldn't be chief deity anymore if Scandinavians didn't convert to Christianity.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Scandinavians did loot Christianity however.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

We said we're sorry!*

Darn Brits...

*I am Danish but don't worry I was born in England. Nothing against them. ;)


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Don't apologize. They needed some looting.


Yeah you're right.

A little looting never hurt anyone.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Wait... This means that Odin is just like Nethys!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Assistance Needed


Well maybe he'll just send Mjolnir to help with the smiting...


5 people marked this as a favorite.

All hail Banjo!

5,401 to 5,450 of 5,737 << first < prev | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Comics / New Order of the Stick Strip Up All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.