Remember to support your North Korean allies!


Off-Topic Discussions

1 to 50 of 166 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

You (in the U.S.) are allied with North Korea, right?
Well, Sarah Palin seems to think so... ;-)


Well, it only stands to reason that if she can see Russia from her door step, and that we are now allies (kind of), that we would also be friends to N. Korea since Russia and N. Korea are friends...


wanders through thread

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2009 Top 8

Performance error (slip of the tongue); not competence error (knowledge). She should get a pass on this one.


Tarren Dei wrote:
Performance error (slip of the tongue); not competence error (knowledge). She should get a pass on this one.

Like all of the other ridiculous things she's said? No, there's a precedence for stupidity here.


Nice to see my fellows don't take a break.

Liberty's Edge

at what point is stupidity statistically proven?
just sayin.

"three letter word.....J-O-B-S!"
he's like a Bizarro Yogi Barra, because he's not joking.

The Exchange

Tarren Dei wrote:
Performance error (slip of the tongue); not competence error (knowledge). She should get a pass on this one.

Yeah, I'm hardly a fan of Palin, but that was just a misspoke word, heck she corrects herself (at the prompting of the interviewer, but still), but regardless it was a simple mistake.

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2009 Top 8

nathan blackmer wrote:
Tarren Dei wrote:
Performance error (slip of the tongue); not competence error (knowledge). She should get a pass on this one.
Like all of the other ridiculous things she's said? No, there's a precedence for stupidity here.

If she says a lot of stupid things, then there is no need to lazily pick on performance errors. Critique her ideas instead.


Tarren Dei wrote:
nathan blackmer wrote:
Tarren Dei wrote:
Performance error (slip of the tongue); not competence error (knowledge). She should get a pass on this one.
Like all of the other ridiculous things she's said? No, there's a precedence for stupidity here.
If she says a lot of stupid things, then there is no need to lazily pick on performance errors. Critique her ideas instead.

That would take soooo long! The gravy would get cold. Maybe tomorrow...

Liberty's Edge

Tarren Dei wrote:

If she says a lot of stupid things, then there is no need to lazily pick on performance errors. Critique her ideas instead.

She doesn't actually have any...that's pretty much the entire problem.


Tarren Dei wrote:
Performance error (slip of the tongue); not competence error (knowledge). She should get a pass on this one.

Agree.


nathan blackmer wrote:
Tarren Dei wrote:
Performance error (slip of the tongue); not competence error (knowledge). She should get a pass on this one.
Like all of the other ridiculous things she's said? No, there's a precedence for stupidity here.

Quite possibly but this is not an example.


Jeremiziah wrote:
Tarren Dei wrote:

If she says a lot of stupid things, then there is no need to lazily pick on performance errors. Critique her ideas instead.

She doesn't actually have any...that's pretty much the entire problem.

This actually does point to the root issue with that interview. She say's absolutely nothing at all. She blithely criticizes the White House and then offers up exactly the same recipe as her solution. 'We need to put pressure on China to do more and stand by our allies'.

In what way shape or form does your stance differ from the current administrations ideas? Name something specific that the current administration failing to do that you feel they should rectify.

Liberty's Edge

Jeremy Mac Donald wrote:
Tarren Dei wrote:
Performance error (slip of the tongue); not competence error (knowledge). She should get a pass on this one.
Agree.

Not if you believe Freud.


It might, it might not just have been a gaffe, but I'm left wondering whether she would have corrected herself if Glenn Beck hadn't admonished her... ;-)
There is certainly a certain amount of precedence with her.
Yes, the gaffes Heath linked to of Biden's are pretty bad too.
I'd also like to agree with Jeremy's observation, she's not really saying anything (again, precedence) or giving any solutions (granted, it's a short excerpt, but again... precedence :-p ).


Well, she was a vice presidential candidate. IIRC, the main job of the vice president is to act like an idiot (Quayle, Gore, Biden) or be hated (Cheney) so that the president looks great in comparison.

As for actually fixing the North Korea problem, none of the previous presidents have been successful. Candidate Obama's foreign policy plan of "foreign governments will listen to me because I'm Obama" has obviously flopped. Hard to expect Palin to actually have a plan for dealing with North Korea beyond South Korea's "wait 'em out" plan.

The Exchange

GentleGiant wrote:

It might, it might not just have been a gaffe, but I'm left wondering whether she would have corrected herself if Glenn Beck hadn't admonished her... ;-)

There is certainly a certain amount of precedence with her.
Yes, the gaffes Heath linked to of Biden's are pretty bad too.
I'd also like to agree with Jeremy's observation, she's not really saying anything (again, precedence) or giving any solutions (granted, it's a short excerpt, but again... precedence :-p ).

Ironically, the man you just called Glenn Beck, isn't. That's Pat Grey.

See how easy it is to make little mistakes?


10...


9!

Liberty's Edge

Wolfthulhu wrote:
GentleGiant wrote:

It might, it might not just have been a gaffe, but I'm left wondering whether she would have corrected herself if Glenn Beck hadn't admonished her... ;-)

There is certainly a certain amount of precedence with her.
Yes, the gaffes Heath linked to of Biden's are pretty bad too.
I'd also like to agree with Jeremy's observation, she's not really saying anything (again, precedence) or giving any solutions (granted, it's a short excerpt, but again... precedence :-p ).

Ironically, the man you just called Glenn Beck, isn't. That's Pat Grey.

See how easy it is to make little mistakes?

Heheh... ironic.

Except that GentleGiant’s mistake presumably was due to ignorance or misinformation. It’s been posited by some that Sarah Palin’s mistake was ‘simply’ a slip of the tongue.


1000...

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2009 Top 8

Mothman wrote:
Jeremy Mac Donald wrote:
Tarren Dei wrote:
Performance error (slip of the tongue); not competence error (knowledge). She should get a pass on this one.
Agree.
Not if you believe Freud.

Yah, well, Freud is dead, did coke, and smoked pipes.

Not all Freudian slips are Freudian.

This was clearly a performance error primed by her repeated references to North Korea in the earlier part of the interview.

It could suggest that she doesn't talk about (or maybe even think about) South Korea very often or that she talks about North Korea a lot more. Her retrieval of 'South Korea' was slower than her retrieval of 'North Korea'. She talks faster than she thinks maybe?

Liberty's Edge

Tarren Dei wrote:
Mothman wrote:
Jeremy Mac Donald wrote:
Tarren Dei wrote:
Performance error (slip of the tongue); not competence error (knowledge). She should get a pass on this one.
Agree.
Not if you believe Freud.

Yah, well, Freud is dead, did coke, and smoked pipes.

Not all Freudian slips are Freudian.

This was clearly a performance error primed by her repeated references to North Korea in the earlier part of the interview.

It could suggest that she doesn't talk about (or maybe even think about) South Korea very often or that she talks about North Korea a lot more. Her retrieval of 'South Korea' was slower than her retrieval of 'North Korea'. She talks faster than she thinks maybe?

For the record, I don’t believe Freud, and I think a lot of his theory on Freudian slips has been pretty well discredited (as far as I understand it, Freud would have argued that all slips are Freudian slips, an idea that most modern cognitive psychologists reject).

My point (apart from stirring the pot) was that a ‘slip of the tongue’ is not just a slip of the tongue – there is almost always some reason for it. I think you have probably hit the nail on the head with your explanation.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Tarren Dei wrote:
It could suggest that she doesn't talk about (or maybe even think about) South Korea very often or that she talks about North Korea a lot more. Her retrieval of 'South Korea' was slower than her retrieval of 'North Korea'. She talks faster than she thinks maybe?

From a psychological perspective, this is probably the most likely reason.

I believe that Sarah Palin suffers from two problems: 1. The media has a tendency to jump on any perceived mistakes from any public figure. Our public figures are humans and they do make mistakes, they are not perfect. 2. Sarah Palin makes more than her fair share of mistakes and instead of realizing that it is better to shut your mouth and let people think you are an idiot than to open it and to disprove all doubt....or whatever Mark Twain said.

Kanye West has this same issue.


Wolfthulhu wrote:
GentleGiant wrote:

It might, it might not just have been a gaffe, but I'm left wondering whether she would have corrected herself if Glenn Beck hadn't admonished her... ;-)

There is certainly a certain amount of precedence with her.
Yes, the gaffes Heath linked to of Biden's are pretty bad too.
I'd also like to agree with Jeremy's observation, she's not really saying anything (again, precedence) or giving any solutions (granted, it's a short excerpt, but again... precedence :-p ).

Ironically, the man you just called Glenn Beck, isn't. That's Pat Grey.

See how easy it is to make little mistakes?

I fully admit to not doing indepth research as to whether it actually was Beck doing that part of the interview. I did the research and it was indeed, as you say, his co-host, Pat Grey. Upon listening to it again, it actually doesn't sound like him (Beck) and I should have caught that.

It was on his show, though, and I was going by the description in the video + I originally found it on a Danish news site, which also just listed it as a Glenn Beck interview - but I wanted to find it on YouTube for easier linkage (since most here wouldn't get much out of the Danish site ;-) ).

A couple of major differences between my mistake and hers, though... I'm not setting myself up to run for President of the United States and my mistake wouldn't really impact any foreign relations in the future. ;-)

Liberty's Edge

I just went and asked my 7 year old son how many states there were in our union.

Maybe he should be president.


Using left wing logic, Obama has to be stupid.

Liberty's Edge

So don't vote for Palin OR Obama.
Gotcha.

Scarab Sages RPG Superstar 2013

Liberal expression of fear is to call what they are afraid of stupid, and to excuse true ignorance from bad liars as 'nuance'. Palin very clearly says North one time when she means South. Insofar as anyone from this site cold make that same mistake, it's a total nonissue. The fact that someone could try to make it an issue demonstrates that finding a way to insult Palin is more important to them than listening to a whole interview to really find out what she thinks.

There are more examples. When Obama referred to 57 states, the media blew it off as just a speaking glitch, but when Quayle mis-spelled 'potatoes- by reading it off a cue-card, it was, well..open season. Gore and Kerry were both forgiven by liberals when they said stupid things, because they reportedly had so much goin on in their head that it was a miracle they didn't have MORE brain farts. Yet when Dick Clark insisted on overstating the obvious in the presence of Dr' Condaleeza Rice, he mistook her look of disdain for the blank look as if she'd never heard the name al qaeda before.

To liberals, liberals are super-smart no matter how strong the prrof that they are average intellects given polish, and conservatives are stupid, even if they reinspire a national economy, win the cold war, or can allegedly steal an entire election.

I don't want Palin to be president, I'd rather see her at the Dept of Energy or the EPA until she gets more public experience and foreign policy exposure. But she's never said anything patently stupid or false that I know of. She can speak off the cuff tons more eloquently than the President, and has said SIGNIFICANTLY fewer stupid things in context than he has. It's good for us for China to prosper? Unemployment won't reach 8%? Who doesn't know what they're talking about?

Liberty's Edge

Mr. Helt, are you
1)over 35
2)a U.S. citizen and
3)can you speak 100% mistake free in public even when exhausted from going on 3 hours of sleep a night for 4 days and flying about 15,000 miles on Air Force One?

Cuz, I'll vote for you.....

Dark Archive Bella Sara Charter Superscriber

Steven T. Helt, Liberaltoligist wrote:
All liberals smell funny and are dumb. You can tell they are dumb because they all say conservatives are dumb.

Ahhhh...good point. Your equally ignorant and intolerant black and white worldview totally refutes the OP's ignorant and intolerant black and white worldview (which conveniently included the winky smiley face, to indicate absolute seriousness).

Also, I found this strawman with the word "Libtard" scrawled on the front of its shirt and "I hate everything good and true" on the back. I think it belongs to you. It's even wearing a black hat!

Hooray for democracy!

Dark Archive

Steven T. Helt wrote:

Liberal expression of fear is to call what they are afraid of stupid, and to excuse true ignorance from bad liars as 'nuance'. Palin very clearly says North one time when she means South. Insofar as anyone from this site cold make that same mistake, it's a total nonissue. The fact that someone could try to make it an issue demonstrates that finding a way to insult Palin is more important to them than listening to a whole interview to really find out what she thinks.

There are more examples. When Obama referred to 57 states, the media blew it off as just a speaking glitch, but when Quayle mis-spelled 'potatoes- by reading it off a cue-card, it was, well..open season. Gore and Kerry were both forgiven by liberals when they said stupid things, because they reportedly had so much goin on in their head that it was a miracle they didn't have MORE brain farts. Yet when Dick Clark insisted on overstating the obvious in the presence of Dr' Condaleeza Rice, he mistook her look of disdain for the blank look as if she'd never heard the name al qaeda before.

To liberals, liberals are super-smart no matter how strong the prrof that they are average intellects given polish, and conservatives are stupid, even if they reinspire a national economy, win the cold war, or can allegedly steal an entire election.

I don't want Palin to be president, I'd rather see her at the Dept of Energy or the EPA until she gets more public experience and foreign policy exposure. But she's never said anything patently stupid or false that I know of. She can speak off the cuff tons more eloquently than the President, and has said SIGNIFICANTLY fewer stupid things in context than he has. It's good for us for China to prosper? Unemployment won't reach 8%? Who doesn't know what they're talking about?

Sorry as a liberal I decided to ignore your speech, but I did take the time to point out your spelling mistakes. Have a good day :)

Liberty's Edge

Sebastian wrote:


Also, I found this strawman with the word "Libtard" scrawled on the front of its shirt and "I hate everything good and true" on the back. I think it belongs to you. It's even wearing a black hat!

I have that shirt, but I only wear it in my secret Richard Nixon Shrine room.

The Exchange

GentleGiant wrote:
Wolfthulhu wrote:
GentleGiant wrote:

It might, it might not just have been a gaffe, but I'm left wondering whether she would have corrected herself if Glenn Beck hadn't admonished her... ;-)

There is certainly a certain amount of precedence with her.
Yes, the gaffes Heath linked to of Biden's are pretty bad too.
I'd also like to agree with Jeremy's observation, she's not really saying anything (again, precedence) or giving any solutions (granted, it's a short excerpt, but again... precedence :-p ).

Ironically, the man you just called Glenn Beck, isn't. That's Pat Grey.

See how easy it is to make little mistakes?

I fully admit to not doing indepth research as to whether it actually was Beck doing that part of the interview. I did the research and it was indeed, as you say, his co-host, Pat Grey. Upon listening to it again, it actually doesn't sound like him (Beck) and I should have caught that.

It was on his show, though, and I was going by the description in the video + I originally found it on a Danish news site, which also just listed it as a Glenn Beck interview - but I wanted to find it on YouTube for easier linkage (since most here wouldn't get much out of the Danish site ;-) ).

A couple of major differences between my mistake and hers, though... I'm not setting myself up to run for President of the United States and my mistake wouldn't really impact any foreign relations in the future. ;-)

If you've actually done your research now, you've surely read or heard her correctly referring to North Korea as 'teh bad guys' several times before she made the error. Why is it that the one instance where she made a mistake that gets all the attention.

Dark Archive Bella Sara Charter Superscriber

Wolfthulhu wrote:
If you've actually done your research now, you've surely read or heard her correctly referring to North Korea as 'teh bad guys' several times before she made the error. Why is it that the one instance where she made a mistake that gets all the attention.

Those early correct references don't count, nor does the fact that it's blindingly obvious from the context which Korea she meant to refer to. She either gets it right every single time, or everything else she's ever said is wrong and dumb. That's how it works, right?

If you'll excuse me, I need to clean my Jimmy Carter Shrine. It's the only thing keeping Heathy's Nixon Shrine in check.

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2009 Top 8

Steven T. Helt wrote:
Liberal expression of fear is to call what they are afraid of stupid, and to excuse true ignorance from bad liars as 'nuance'. Palin very clearly says North one time when she means South. Insofar as anyone from this site cold make that same mistake, it's a total nonissue. The fact that someone could try to make it an issue demonstrates that finding a way to insult Palin is more important to them than listening to a whole interview to really find out what she thinks.

I'm a liberal and I was on your side of this debate. Thanks for generalizing.

That's like saying, "Conservative expression of fear is to call what they are afraid of unAmerican, unpatriotic, and treasonous." I could find evidence to support a weaker version of statement but I'd be an a@@~%@$ to make the stronger version.

Liberty's Edge

I did watch 5 minutes of the Alaska show the other night.
I have to admit to sympathizing with the guy who Elvis'd his t.v. the other week with a shotgun.

Liberty's Edge

Tarren Dei wrote:
That's like saying, "Conservative expression of fear is to call what they are afraid of unAmerican, unpatriotic, and treasonous." I could find evidence to support a weaker version of statement but I'd be an a&!!*## to make the stronger version.

That's conservative wussies.

REAL men shoot that which a'fears them.

Liberty's Edge

Sebastian wrote:
Wolfthulhu wrote:
If you've actually done your research now, you've surely read or heard her correctly referring to North Korea as 'teh bad guys' several times before she made the error. Why is it that the one instance where she made a mistake that gets all the attention.

Those early correct references don't count, nor does the fact that it's blindingly obvious from the context which Korea she meant to refer to. She either gets it right every single time, or everything else she's ever said is wrong and dumb. That's how it works, right?

If you'll excuse me, I need to clean my Jimmy Carter Shrine. It's the only thing keeping Heathy's Nixon Shrine in check.

Does it still have the peanut fart potpourri and the world's largest tube of Preparation H?

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2009 Top 8

Jeremy Mcgillan wrote:
Steven T. Helt wrote:
even if they reinspire a national economy, win the cold war, or can allegedly steal an entire election.
Sorry as a liberal I decided to ignore your speech, but I did take the time to point out your spelling mistakes. Have a good day :)

What's wrong with reinspire, Jeremy? Don't make me pull out a dictionary. You wouldn't like me with a dictionary in my hand.

Liberty's Edge

sympathy for the devil

Dark Archive Bella Sara Charter Superscriber

Heathansson wrote:
Does it still have the peanut fart potpourri and the world's largest tube of Preparation H?

I knew you were watching me! You've also been secretly recording our conversations haven't you?

Liberty's Edge

I'm not a crook!

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Heathansson wrote:
I'm not a crook!

When the warwoof does it, it's not illegal?

Liberty's Edge

I'm not a werewolf! I'm not any of those things!!!
I'm.....I'm YOU!!!

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Heathansson wrote:

I'm not a werewolf! I'm not any of those things!!!

I'm.....I'm YOU!!!

Oh, you poor thing. You have my deepsest sympathies.

The Exchange

Sebastian wrote:
Heathansson wrote:
Does it still have the peanut fart potpourri and the world's largest tube of Preparation H?
I knew you were watching me! You've also been secretly recording our conversations haven't you?

yes and selling them on an adult website.

Dark Archive

Tarren Dei wrote:
Jeremy Mcgillan wrote:
Steven T. Helt wrote:
even if they reinspire a national economy, win the cold war, or can allegedly steal an entire election.
Sorry as a liberal I decided to ignore your speech, but I did take the time to point out your spelling mistakes. Have a good day :)
What's wrong with reinspire, Jeremy? Don't make me pull out a dictionary. You wouldn't like me with a dictionary in my hand.

It's redundant, the proper english term would simply be inspire or reinvigorate. "Reinspire" isn't technically standard english terminology so it technically does not exist by oxford english standard.

1 to 50 of 166 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Remember to support your North Korean allies! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.