Anything better than the iPad out there?


Technology

1 to 50 of 170 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

I been fooling around with a friend's ipad and I'm not totally impressed. It is neat but seems a bit expensive for what you get. I was also disappointed there are no usb ports. (I know, I know - I'm out of date.)

Is there another decent tablet out there that can read PDF files (in color), do some low level web surfing and shoot off a simple email or two? I would use it mainly to carry all my Pathfinder content around to games...

Thanks,
Ed


I love my iPad, filled with Pathfinder pdfs. I use it for millions of other things too. Curious to see if someone recomends something else.


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
Panda40 wrote:

I been fooling around with a friend's ipad and I'm not totally impressed. It is neat but seems a bit expensive for what you get. I was also disappointed there are no usb ports. (I know, I know - I'm out of date.)

Is there another decent tablet out there that can read PDF files (in color), do some low level web surfing and shoot off a simple email or two? I would use it mainly to carry all my Pathfinder content around to games...

Thanks,
Ed

Pandigital makes an iPad-like device that can read .pdfs and is wi-fi capable for web-browsing and e-mails. It's a little smaller, but it's only 150 bucks.


I'm seriously considering the Archos 9 tablet. I like that it's cheaper than an iPad for its memory size, it's got a USB port (so it's actually much more like a real computer), and some of the other features it's rocking, too.

The trick is convincing the wife to authorize the purchase...

Dark Archive

I love my iPad. I carry it with me throughout the day. I haven't touched my laptop and desktop (other than to update my iPad and iPhone) for months. Like always, Apple is on the cutting edge...why use a USB port? Everything is wireless now. Remember the "uproar" when Apple declared the floppy dead and didn't install a floppy drive in its iMac computers?


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
DCironlich wrote:
I love my iPad. I carry it with me throughout the day. I haven't touched my laptop and desktop (other than to update my iPad and iPhone) for months. Like always, Apple is on the cutting edge...why use a USB port? Everything is wireless now. Remember the "uproar" when Apple declared the floppy dead and didn't install a floppy drive in its iMac computers?

Thumb drives.

Sovereign Court

DCironlich wrote:
Like always, Apple is on the cutting edge...why use a USB port? Everything is wireless now. Remember the "uproar" when Apple declared the floppy dead and didn't install a floppy drive in its iMac computers?

USB? Probably because almost all electronic devices still use them.


Including the iPad. Because that´s what the Dock connector is, a USB pass-thru. When you sync or update an iDevice across the Dock connector, it is using the USB2 protocol to do so.

The only advantage I see of the Apple Dock Connector (which is a regular old USB cable on the other end of the cable from the iDevice, i.e. that connects to your computer) is for Apple, not users:
namely control and profits from licencing it´s proprietary CONNECTOR FORMAT to other manufactures (which by default acknowledges that non-wireless peripherals AREN´T superfluous, because why else would Apple be directly enabling and cooperating with manufacturers of such devices?)

iDevices are CAPABLE to use USB devices (though the software may not be set up to use them as freely as typical computer OS´s), they just need an ADAPTER between ADC plug format and USB, which Apple itself sells (hey, more profit!).

The iDevice user experience and available apps may very well be a compelling reason to use them, but there simply isn´t any actual user advantage to only offering the ADC connector and not USB - ADC does not help the user, it only helps Apple. USB itself can be used for all the purposes the ADC connector is used for (peripheral i/o, file transfer, power charging). If Apple wants a higher power thruput than USB2 offers (and I`m not sure if ADC in fact offers a higher power thruput), they could easily make their own FULLY PLUG COMPATABLE variant that has more power transfer when used with ¨Super USB Cables by Apple¨ (or any other manufactuer who builds a USB2 cable with stronger power provisioning). But that cuts down on their control of iDevice peripheral manufacturers (plug licencing fees aren´t really a signifigant motivator for Apple, though they reduce the number of ADC licencees).

I believe the EU mandated that all mobile devices be able to [EDIT] be charged by a ´universal´ interface (USB2, which also does i/o of course), but Apple´s solution is/will be simply to include an ADC-USB2 adapter for free in all iDevices sold within the EU (since ADC of course really IS USB apart from the proprietary plug, and they sell practically the same thing in markets like the US).

Dark Archive

Like the cell phone?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DCironlich wrote:
Remember the "uproar" when Apple declared the floppy dead and didn't install a floppy drive in its iMac computers?

No, because Macs are such a tiny fraction of the desktop market that most people don't pay any attention to it. :)

I'm sure that was in the days before Apple perfected the business model of excluding a feature considered standard on all similar devices and making the consumer thank them for it.


Disciple of Sakura wrote:

I'm seriously considering the Archos 9 tablet. I like that it's cheaper than an iPad for its memory size, it's got a USB port (so it's actually much more like a real computer), and some of the other features it's rocking, too.

The trick is convincing the wife to authorize the purchase...

Consider the Archos 70 or 101. I'm about to pull the trigger on a 70, I like the smaller screen, more portable.

Liberty's Edge

Dire Mongoose wrote:
DCironlich wrote:
Remember the "uproar" when Apple declared the floppy dead and didn't install a floppy drive in its iMac computers?

No, because Macs are such a tiny fraction of the desktop market that most people don't pay any attention to it. :)

I'm sure that was in the days before Apple perfected the business model of excluding a feature considered standard on all similar devices and making the consumer thank them for it.

Yep that is why it is hard to find a floppy disk anymore on any manufactured computer.

Plus might want to relook at your tiny fraction of computers again.

I suppose you might not be including Mac Books then yea I can see that. Of course a lot of consumers have laptops instead of actual desk tops now anyways.

Business still have desktops but there are more and more major companies switching as well.

But of course everyone has their own preferences.

Sean ;-)


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
JRR wrote:
Disciple of Sakura wrote:

I'm seriously considering the Archos 9 tablet. I like that it's cheaper than an iPad for its memory size, it's got a USB port (so it's actually much more like a real computer), and some of the other features it's rocking, too.

The trick is convincing the wife to authorize the purchase...

Consider the Archos 70 or 101. I'm about to pull the trigger on a 70, I like the smaller screen, more portable.

That does indeed look smexy...


If you're willing to wait until after the holiday season, there are a *lot* of Android-based tablets, plus HP/Blackberry's Playbook scheduled for release between now and Q1/2011. Most of them have similar feature sets to the Archos tablets mentioned earlier, and the Samsung Galaxy Tab which is making the cell-carrier-only rounds right now. You can find some roundups of current/in-progress tablets on Maximum PC & PC World.

I have about 3 reasons why I recommend waiting a couple of months:
- (1) Android v3.0 (aka Gingerbread) slated for Q1 is what Google's recommending for tablets, so even though manufacturers are releasing tablets now, you don't know which ones will eventually support the tablet-designed OS (and it's tablet-updated App Market).

- (2) Form factor is so important IMO for a tablet - Is it pocketable/purse-able? Can you hold it comfortably in one hand on the train/bus? How's the button/UI layout? etc - that it's definitely a product where you want a lot of options to wrap your hands around.

- (3) Price - After the e-reader price wars dropped Kindle & Nook down like 75% over a month, it's likely that increased tablet competition will make the usual tech adoption price drops happen even faster than normal.

Silver Crusade

Mandisa wrote:

If you're willing to wait until after the holiday season, there are a *lot* of Android-based tablets, plus HP/Blackberry's Playbook scheduled for release between now and Q1/2011. Most of them have similar feature sets to the Archos tablets mentioned earlier, and the Samsung Galaxy Tab which is making the cell-carrier-only rounds right now. You can find some roundups of current/in-progress tablets on Maximum PC & PC World.

I have about 3 reasons why I recommend waiting a couple of months:
- (1) Android v3.0 (aka Gingerbread) slated for Q1 is what Google's recommending for tablets, so even though manufacturers are releasing tablets now, you don't know which ones will eventually support the tablet-designed OS (and it's tablet-updated App Market).

- (2) Form factor is so important IMO for a tablet - Is it pocketable/purse-able? Can you hold it comfortably in one hand on the train/bus? How's the button/UI layout? etc - that it's definitely a product where you want a lot of options to wrap your hands around.

- (3) Price - After the e-reader price wars dropped Kindle & Nook down like 75% over a month, it's likely that increased tablet competition will make the usual tech adoption price drops happen even faster than normal.

+1

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Mandisa wrote:

If you're willing to wait until after the holiday season, there are a *lot* of Android-based tablets, plus HP/Blackberry's Playbook scheduled for release between now and Q1/2011. Most of them have similar feature sets to the Archos tablets mentioned earlier, and the Samsung Galaxy Tab which is making the cell-carrier-only rounds right now. You can find some roundups of current/in-progress tablets on Maximum PC & PC World.

I have about 3 reasons why I recommend waiting a couple of months:
- (1) Android v3.0 (aka Gingerbread) slated for Q1 is what Google's recommending for tablets, so even though manufacturers are releasing tablets now, you don't know which ones will eventually support the tablet-designed OS (and it's tablet-updated App Market).

- (2) Form factor is so important IMO for a tablet - Is it pocketable/purse-able? Can you hold it comfortably in one hand on the train/bus? How's the button/UI layout? etc - that it's definitely a product where you want a lot of options to wrap your hands around.

- (3) Price - After the e-reader price wars dropped Kindle & Nook down like 75% over a month, it's likely that increased tablet competition will make the usual tech adoption price drops happen even faster than normal.

That and the IPad 2 may be announced by then.

Grand Lodge

Mandisa wrote:

If you're willing to wait until after the holiday season, there are a *lot* of Android-based tablets, plus HP/Blackberry's Playbook scheduled for release between now and Q1/2011. Most of them have similar feature sets to the Archos tablets mentioned earlier, and the Samsung Galaxy Tab which is making the cell-carrier-only rounds right now. You can find some roundups of current/in-progress tablets on Maximum PC & PC World.

I have about 3 reasons why I recommend waiting a couple of months:
- (1) Android v3.0 (aka Gingerbread) slated for Q1 is what Google's recommending for tablets, so even though manufacturers are releasing tablets now, you don't know which ones will eventually support the tablet-designed OS (and it's tablet-updated App Market).

- (2) Form factor is so important IMO for a tablet - Is it pocketable/purse-able? Can you hold it comfortably in one hand on the train/bus? How's the button/UI layout? etc - that it's definitely a product where you want a lot of options to wrap your hands around.

- (3) Price - After the e-reader price wars dropped Kindle & Nook down like 75% over a month, it's likely that increased tablet competition will make the usual tech adoption price drops happen even faster than normal.

One small note, Gingerbread is already out (came out a week or so ago) the tablet version is Honeycomb which is the one slated for early next year. Gingerbread was 2.3 Honeycomb will be 3.0 (or so the rumor sits, the official version number isn't known until its released, up until a couple weeks ago everyone though Gingerbread would be 3.0)


I think the Ipad would be rather good if there is software for it, but it's rather expensive.

I purchased the Viewsonic G Tab (sears 400 bucks) and it is some nice hardware though Viewsonic decided that they needed to throw some baby toy looking operating system user interface on top of android.

If anyone ends up buying it I can tell you how to make it a lot better...

Anyways I am looking forward to using mine though I won't get to use it for any Piazo products for at least a month when we switch back to Pathfinder in my weekly game.

I do own 4 Pathfinder books (Core, Beastiary, Advanced Players, Gamemastery Guide) and they look GREAT on this device. I can hold it in landscape mode and put the top 1/2 of a page on the screen and easily scroll down with one click, or a slide on the screen. The loading is instant if you have been on the page for more than 2-3 seconds.

It does multitasking so I can load up my dice program, or the multi finger draw program to make a roll or scetch something.

With the draw program you can load a image and draw on top of it and then save it :)

I got the PFSRD loaded offline as well as the PF character sheet maker (Vengeance something) website loaded. I made one of my "Home Screens" mainly for RPGing so I can have most everything at one touch.

Yes people say you can use a laptop or something else but for me it's to hard to pick up a laptop and turn the screen around when I want to show a picture, or something. With this I can also connect to wifi and use google voice to send free text message as "notes".

I am trying to come up with some more uses but I will get to check it out as a player in Mutants and Masterminds, player in Pathfinder Adventure path and finally as a GM back in Pathfinder in my own "homebrew" world. If anyone has any ideas for uses I would appreciate it! Hope this post was helpful, I would have made it look better but I am a hurry as I am heading out the door.


Mandisa wrote:


- (3) Price - After the e-reader price wars dropped Kindle & Nook down like 75% over a month, it's likely that increased tablet competition will make the usual tech adoption price drops happen even faster than normal.

Assuming we see no anti-competative behaviour...


No, there is absolutely nothing better than the Apple iPad.

iPad... it's nothing short of Magical and Revolutionary.


thenorthman wrote:

Yep that is why it is hard to find a floppy disk anymore on any manufactured computer.

Plus might want to relook at your tiny fraction of computers again.

So Apple is responsible for the proliferation and lower cost of CD-R/CD-RW and flash drives?

No wonder they're the industry leader, and everyone has a Mac.

Grand Lodge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I won an iPad at my company Christmas party (translation: I have nothing personally invested in it). I also own an Android phone (Motorola Droid) and my wife has a NookColor.

My feelings are that the iPad is a nice piece of hardware, but that the operating system is inferior to Androind (v2.2+). While it's easy to use and seems to run fairly smooth, iPad still suffers from "Apple mentality." In other words, Apple seems to throw up alot of unnecessary roadblocks that impede my use of the device. I'm mainly talking about the entire "must sync with iTunes" portion of using the iPad. Apple wants me to use the iPad the way they want me to use the iPad, not the way I might want to use the iPad. It's unnecessary iBaggage.

I'm still somewhat of an iPad noob and I haven't fully explored the device. However, my initial evaluation is that, once Android tablets/devices start penetrating the market, Apple will have painted itself into a corner again by forcing users down predetermined paths of usage.

On the other hand, once I bought GoodReader, Paizo PDFs do look nice on the iPad. $500 nice? Probably not.

-Skeld

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

Nice article about what's coming up in the world of tablets:

iPad has some competition.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Brian E. Harris wrote:
thenorthman wrote:

Yep that is why it is hard to find a floppy disk anymore on any manufactured computer.

Plus might want to relook at your tiny fraction of computers again.

So Apple is responsible for the proliferation and lower cost of CD-R/CD-RW and flash drives?

No wonder they're the industry leader, and everyone has a Mac.

Actually they ARE the industry leader in media distribution, and media players, Ipods, Ipads, and the Iphones. It's two areas where they gave a humiliating defeat to Microsoft, both in media players, and tablets.


Brian E. Harris wrote:
thenorthman wrote:

Yep that is why it is hard to find a floppy disk anymore on any manufactured computer.

Plus might want to relook at your tiny fraction of computers again.

So Apple is responsible for the proliferation and lower cost of CD-R/CD-RW and flash drives?

No wonder they're the industry leader, and everyone has a Mac.

Don't be surprised when iPad 2 is released this April or June for a smaller price point, with a thinner frame, faster processor and more space.

Also, be on the lookout for faster, lighter, thinner iMacs and MacBooks sans combo drives. With the Mac App store going live later this month, apple is formally dismissing CDs and DVDs...

Don't expect any USB 3 on Macs, either: the future is wireless.


Oh there'll be USB, as long as the suite of iOS devices require charging there will be USB on Macs. It may just become a single Micro B for space saving, but it will be stay... until the "magic devices" start charging by solar/thermal and RF.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Steve.Jobs@mac.com wrote:
Brian E. Harris wrote:
thenorthman wrote:

Yep that is why it is hard to find a floppy disk anymore on any manufactured computer.

Plus might want to relook at your tiny fraction of computers again.

So Apple is responsible for the proliferation and lower cost of CD-R/CD-RW and flash drives?

No wonder they're the industry leader, and everyone has a Mac.

Don't be surprised when iPad 2 is released this April or June for a smaller price point, with a thinner frame, faster processor and more space.

Also, be on the lookout for faster, lighter, thinner iMacs and MacBooks sans combo drives. With the Mac App store going live later this month, apple is formally dismissing CDs and DVDs...

Don't expect any USB 3 on Macs, either: the future is wireless.

There's a USB 3 standard?

On another note, Please consider not using that alias again. If it's mean to be funny, the joke's died of old age long ago. It's borderline misrepresentation.

Liberty's Edge

LazarX wrote:

On another note, Please consider not using that alias again. If it's mean to be funny, the joke's died of old age long ago. It's borderline misrepresentation.

No, it's parody-- absolutely no reasonable way anyone should think I'm the real Steve Jobs, since I use a white tiger to parody the snow leopard, everything the alias 'says' is ala SNL, and last but not least, all you have to do is hover over the alias and it reads 'alias of Andrew Turner'...

Grand Lodge

Saw a preview of the new ASUS tablet coming out soon and I gotta say it looks nice. A tablet with a built in prop stand and keyboard. Its currently on top of my list of things to want.

Liberty's Edge

The Samsung Galaxy tablet is very popular over here right now; you even see it in all the corporate-funded soaps and dramas. I notice on the train, Americans are usually the only ones I see with iPads, but the Galaxy is everywhere.


LazarX wrote:
On another note, Please consider not using that alias again. If it's mean to be funny, the joke's died of old age long ago. It's borderline misrepresentation.

Oh, come on.


I'd happily get a Samsung galaxy tab. I really would. I am after all really happy with my Samsung galaxy phone.

But it costs almost as much as an Ipad here, and has a screen that can barely be half as large. Same seems to go for every non-apple tab i have looked at so far. Until some one at the very least equals the Ipad on screen size at the same price or cheaper, i am on route to purchase an Ipad.


Happily waiting for my Adam from Notion Ink.

Cheaper, faster, more powerful than an iPad and has a duel screen for indoor and outdoor use.

Liberty's Edge

Xabulba wrote:

Happily waiting for my Adam from Notion Ink.

Cheaper, faster, more powerful than an iPad and has a duel screen for indoor and outdoor use.

A demo of the Adam

This device is going to be awesome!

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Xabulba wrote:

Happily waiting for my Adam from Notion Ink.

Cheaper, faster, more powerful than an iPad and has a duel screen for indoor and outdoor use.

I checked the link, I found it rather annoying that instead of telling me what software it ran it launched some ridiculous animation, (presumably Flash) that was nothing more than oh... gee whiz.

For me to even consider this device over an IPad, it would have to be Android based. I know the Galaxy is android base, but every sample I've looked at at the local staples or Sprint store has been nonoperational.


LazarX wrote:
Xabulba wrote:

Happily waiting for my Adam from Notion Ink.

Cheaper, faster, more powerful than an iPad and has a duel screen for indoor and outdoor use.

I checked the link, I found it rather annoying that instead of telling me what software it ran it launched some ridiculous animation, (presumably Flash) that was nothing more than oh... gee whiz.

For me to even consider this device over an IPad, it would have to be Android based. I know the Galaxy is android base, but every sample I've looked at at the local staples or Sprint store has been nonoperational.

Edit:

Re-read the Notion ink blog and the Adam will ship with Android 3.0.


Andrew Turner wrote:
LazarX wrote:

On another note, Please consider not using that alias again. If it's mean to be funny, the joke's died of old age long ago. It's borderline misrepresentation.

No, it's parody-- absolutely no reasonable way anyone should think I'm the real Steve Jobs, since I use a white tiger to parody the snow leopard, everything the alias 'says' is ala SNL, and last but not least, all you have to do is hover over the alias and it reads 'alias of Andrew Turner'...

Misleading avatars almost ruined my company. HOW DARE YOU!

Spoiler:

To avoid any misrepresentation, borderline or otherwise, I think I should disclose that I'm not actually the CEO of Hasbro nor Steve Jobs, though both post here regularly and in their official capacity, so I can see how someone might be misled...

...you know, if they were drunk...and had never used the internet before...and under the age of 6...

Then, it's definitely misleading.


LazarX wrote:
There's a USB 3 standard?

Yes there is. There have been control hubs since 2009. The reason you haven't seen it most likely is because Intel has not supported it yet, although you should be seeing more if it in the coming year or so. It's also the reason you haven't seen USB 3 equipped Macs, that Intel partnership :-/ . DisplayLink is even trying to send video data over USB3.0 instead of HDMI. SMSC with ViewSpan 5G is doing it as well.

Uses like that would be the reason to get USB3 into tables with software to let them act as plug and play displays.

Grand Lodge

Andrew Turner wrote:
Xabulba wrote:

Happily waiting for my Adam from Notion Ink.

Cheaper, faster, more powerful than an iPad and has a duel screen for indoor and outdoor use.

A demo of the Adam

This device is going to be awesome!

I'm glad to see other companies getting product out there. I'd like to see some competition for the iPad and what they come up with.

Grand Lodge

I was reading an interview with the people making the Adam and the simple fact that it has 2 USB ports and they say it can only recognize 1 USB drive is kinda dumb.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Andrew Betts wrote:
I was reading an interview with the people making the Adam and the simple fact that it has 2 USB ports and they say it can only recognize 1 USB drive is kinda dumb.

No it's called reasonable limitations of plug and play on a device that's not supposed to require a gearhead to operate. There is a fixed unix style mount point for USB drives and if they put in more than one than you'd run the risk of mounting iconsistency.

It is not supposed to be or replace a desktop computer, stop comparing it to one.


LazarX wrote:
It is not supposed to be or replace a desktop computer, stop comparing it to one.

Perhaps some people WANT it to replace their desktop, due to only needing a limited feature set.

I'd like the ability to have two USB drives connected, so I can to drive-to-drive copies - I can't tell you the number of times I've had the need/desire to do this while on the road.

It's a valid functional desire.

Grand Lodge

LazarX wrote:
Andrew Betts wrote:
I was reading an interview with the people making the Adam and the simple fact that it has 2 USB ports and they say it can only recognize 1 USB drive is kinda dumb.

No it's called reasonable limitations of plug and play on a device that's not supposed to require a gearhead to operate. There is a fixed unix style mount point for USB drives and if they put in more than one than you'd run the risk of mounting iconsistency.

It is not supposed to be or replace a desktop computer, stop comparing it to one.

I actually did nothing of the sort. I would merely expect that if something included two ports they'd both be usable simultaneously. There are already a number of tablets coming out this year that appear to blow the Adam out of the water, but that decision will wait until I can test them myself.

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

What I am looking for is a Windows based Tablet that is the same size/weight as my iPad. Anything like that yet?


I was in the Adam round 1 pre-order, so as soon as I get mine I can give you the feedback. My general decision criteria were functionality, expandability, and price point. For this, the Adam was worlds better than the iPad, and also to the other items on the market. Being able to plug a USB drive, mouse, and keyboard into the thing all at once is something I haven't seen on any other tablet that you can get for under $400. There will definitely be some other nice hardware out from various companies this year, but I doubt any of them will be able to match this price for a device that is not locked into some 2-year service plan.

Now, I bought the "low-end" version because I have no intentions of paying another fee for a 3g wireless account, nor do I need the "read it in sunlight" features offered by the Pixel Qi screen (a cool feature, just not worth $100 to me). The open nature of Andriod is a huge draw for me in comparison to Apple products. I plan on taking my Pathfinder character sheet and porting it over to the Adam (it comes native with a QuickOffice app redesigned for tablets). I plan on using the 1080p HDMI out in place of a car video system, using a $99 15" HD monitor as the screen in the back.

Liberty's Edge

I can see the keyboard being plugged in but why a mouse? (Of course I prefer a Bluetooth keyboard which I can use with the iPad.)

Sean


thenorthman wrote:

I can see the keyboard being plugged in but why a mouse? (Of course I prefer a Bluetooth keyboard which I can use with the iPad.)

Sean

Because I can then stand the thing up like a monitor and use it more like a traditional PC...

I could see getting Bluetooth accessories at some point for it (Adam does support it), but getting back around to my cheapskate ways (I don't have cable/satellite, drive an old beat-up Ford F-150, and do all my own home repair/remodeling, etc.), I've already got several USB keyboards and mice that work just fine.

Liberty's Edge

erian_7 wrote:
thenorthman wrote:

I can see the keyboard being plugged in but why a mouse? (Of course I prefer a Bluetooth keyboard which I can use with the iPad.)

Sean

Because I can then stand the thing up like a monitor and use it more like a traditional PC...

I could see getting Bluetooth accessories at some point for it (Adam does support it), but getting back around to my cheapskate ways (I don't have cable/satellite, drive an old beat-up Ford F-150, and do all my own home repair/remodeling, etc.), I've already got several USB keyboards and mice that work just fine.

Gotcha. Cool!

Liberty's Edge

erian_7 wrote:
thenorthman wrote:

I can see the keyboard being plugged in but why a mouse? (Of course I prefer a Bluetooth keyboard which I can use with the iPad.)

Sean

Because I can then stand the thing up like a monitor and use it more like a traditional PC...

I could see getting Bluetooth accessories at some point for it (Adam does support it), but getting back around to my cheapskate ways (I don't have cable/satellite, drive an old beat-up Ford F-150, and do all my own home repair/remodeling, etc.), I've already got several USB keyboards and mice that work just fine.

Here's something really weird I've noticed in myself:

If I use my iPad for most of the day, then sit down at a desktop or laptop in the evening, I find myself constantly reaching forward to touch the screen... seriously.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
erian_7 wrote:
thenorthman wrote:

I can see the keyboard being plugged in but why a mouse? (Of course I prefer a Bluetooth keyboard which I can use with the iPad.)

Sean

Because I can then stand the thing up like a monitor and use it more like a traditional PC...

What appeals to me about the iPad is that I can handle it the way Capt. Kirk handled his PADDs. :) For me the touch screen is the make or break of the device, if I want a keyboard, I have my laptop. I love Android as an operating system, but the tablet hardware I've seen it running has come across as underpowered and overstressed performance wise to me.

1 to 50 of 170 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Technology / Anything better than the iPad out there? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.