Masterwork Barding


Rules Questions


Let's assume I want to make barding for my wolf companion. Normally, this costs double, though I'm confused as to when to multiply this.

Normally, studded leather costs 25G. Masterwork studded leather costs 175G.

Sovereign Court

Work out the entire base cost as if you were garbing a human, then apply the appropiate multiplier.

350GP in this case.


Endarire wrote:

Let's assume I want to make barding for my wolf companion. Normally, this costs double, though I'm confused as to when to multiply this.

Normally, studded leather costs 25G. Masterwork studded leather costs 175G.

D&D tends to do math backwards. First you add them you multiply.

Studded leather 25gp X2 for an unusual creature X1 medium= 50gp. +150 for mw= 200 gp.

Good call on masterwork studded leather. Animal companions don't come with armor proficiency, so they take the armor check penalty on attack rolls and skill checks.. with an armor check penalty of 0, masterwork studded leather provides maximum protection with no drawbacks.


Two replies and two contradictory answers. Where is the official ruling on this?

Liberty's Edge

BigNorseWolf wrote:
Good call on masterwork studded leather. Animal companions don't come with armor proficiency, so they take the armor check penalty on attack rolls and skill checks.. with an armor check penalty of 0, masterwork studded leather provides maximum protection with no drawbacks.

Mr. Mithral Chainshirt would like a word with you....

Liberty's Edge

Endarire wrote:
Two replies and two contradictory answers. Where is the official ruling on this?

He was showing normal Math logic opposed to the correct answer given first.


Howie23 wrote:
BigNorseWolf wrote:
Good call on masterwork studded leather. Animal companions don't come with armor proficiency, so they take the armor check penalty on attack rolls and skill checks.. with an armor check penalty of 0, masterwork studded leather provides maximum protection with no drawbacks.
Mr. Mithral Chainshirt would like a word with you....

If you're spending THAT much you may as well go for the horseshoes of bling. (they spin even when the mount is holding still)


A masterwork suit of armor or shield costs an extra 150 gp over and above the normal cost for that type of armor or shield. So its 25x2=50 for the base armour, and then add 150 for Mwork = 200gp total.

Scarab Sages

how much would a mithral chain shirt cost as barding for a medium creature then ? 1200 gp? (100x2 +1000 mithral)


Ceefood wrote:
how much would a mithral chain shirt cost as barding for a medium creature then ? 1200 gp? (100x2 +1000 mithral)

Correct.

Liberty's Edge

Alexander Kilcoyne wrote:

Work out the entire base cost as if you were garbing a human, then apply the appropiate multiplier.

350GP in this case.

Just for the record, Alexander Kilcoyne (and Laschoni) is incorrect. The cost would NOT be 350 gp. The core rule book states:

'A masterwork suit of armor or shield costs an extra 150 gp over and above the normal cost for that type of armor or shield.'

Thus if Studded leather were used as an example, the normal cost is 25 gp, the barding cost for a medium sized creature would is 50 gp. So it would be 50 gp, then add 150 gp for the masterwork quality. So the total cost of Masterwork Studded Leather armor for a medium sized creature would be 200 gp.

All of this was described in detail, but I wanted to elaborate for new members.


I've always GM'd this ruling as it states by the BARDING description. So I've understood it to be the cost of the mundane item costs (as in not the magic bonus costs), Multiplied by the alterations needed. (a large horse has a 4x multiplier because it uses the 2x large and the 2x non-humanoid rule... you always add multipliers together).

The masterwork cost increase is intended to reflect cost of the additional time and effort used in a well-made item's creation.

To clarify this mechanism, lets take the easier to understand size portion of the multipliers.

Compare Crafting for a tiny (x0.5) vs medium (x1) vs gargantuan (x8) humanoid creature.

One would assume the approximate cost differences is to reflect:

Initially, the amount of material needed to create a normal piece of armor is 12.5 GP for tiny armor, 25gp for medium armor and 200gp gargantuan armor.

Now if one were to spend the extra time working to make masterful stitching (taking more time per stitch), and to use only the finest cuts of leather (costing more in material costs), etching finery and filigree into every inch... one could see why you would multiply the cost of masterworking the armor by the size.

This means that for a tiny piece with which you use half the materials and half the time/effort, you also only pay half as much for the extra quality.... or 88gp for a tiny masterworked set (Not 168gp).

The standard medium armor would be 175gp. (as per normal)

And the gargantuan piece of armor would require a tremendously large amount more work and fine materials for some 125 ton giant (something 150gp doubtedly would cover) so IMHO appropriately should cost 1400gp in time material and effort, (Not 350GP)

Dark Archive

Please notice that this is a Thread Necro - I seem to recall some FAQ rulings that modified these cost calculations in the last 5 years.

So all the posts before the one by "onecrazyguy" are actually Out Of Date, and replaced by an FAQ.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Masterwork Barding All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.