>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

46,501 to 46,550 of 77,074 << first < prev | 926 | 927 | 928 | 929 | 930 | 931 | 932 | 933 | 934 | 935 | 936 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:
Speaking of movies with dinosaurs are you slightly more interested in the new Transformers movie with all the cool robo dinos shown in the trailers?

Not really.

The Transformers movies have been terrible. The 2nd one, in fact, is the closest I've ever come to walking out on a movie in the theater.

In a year that has had Godzilla's 60th anniversary and his triumphant return, I'm less interested in a transformers movie featuring dinobots than normal.

I'll probably see the movie... but not until it's on Netflix or Amazon or whatever.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Alexander Augunas wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Alexander Augunas wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
What do you do when you feel like you done screwed up and said something in anger that you can't take back, especially to your parents?
Admit to and own the mistake. Don't hide from it. Learn from it.
Are you a fan of the Lion King? I'm getting some pretty strong Rafiki vibes from this response. ;-)
Saw it once, and never saw the need to see it again. It's a pretty middling, run-of-the-mill Disney movie. Not the worst, but far from the best.
What is your all-time favorite Disney movie then?

Lilo & Stitch

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Kairos Dawnfury wrote:
The trailers for Primeval were delightfully vague, did you know what it was about when you went to see it?

Yes (in fact, I've got a pet crocodile in World of Warcraft named Gustav), but Primeval isn't what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about the TV show Primeval.


James Jacobs wrote:
Kairos Dawnfury wrote:
The trailers for Primeval were delightfully vague, did you know what it was about when you went to see it?

Yes (in fact, I've got a pet crocodile in World of Warcraft named Gustav), but Primeval isn't what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about the TV show Primeval.

Oh, of course, how silly of me! I guess he want really a Dino...

Have you ever seen a movie without knowing the plot or premise before hand?


James Jacobs wrote:
Alexander Augunas wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Alexander Augunas wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
What do you do when you feel like you done screwed up and said something in anger that you can't take back, especially to your parents?
Admit to and own the mistake. Don't hide from it. Learn from it.
Are you a fan of the Lion King? I'm getting some pretty strong Rafiki vibes from this response. ;-)
Saw it once, and never saw the need to see it again. It's a pretty middling, run-of-the-mill Disney movie. Not the worst, but far from the best.
What is your all-time favorite Disney movie then?

Lilo & Stitch

Have you seen Frozen yet?


1)What are your top 10 favorite Disney animated movies?

2)What are your top 5 favorite Pixar movies?

3)What are your top 5 non-Disney/non-Pixar animated movies?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Kairos Dawnfury wrote:
Have you ever seen a movie without knowing the plot or premise before hand?

Yes. Fairly often, in fact... many of the movies on my Netflix queue are there because of word of mouth, because they're directed by directors I admire, or simply because the Netflix bot recommended them to me. And sometimes I deliberately avoid learning more about a movie's plot because I know the director will make a movie I want to see.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Tels wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Alexander Augunas wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Alexander Augunas wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
What do you do when you feel like you done screwed up and said something in anger that you can't take back, especially to your parents?
Admit to and own the mistake. Don't hide from it. Learn from it.
Are you a fan of the Lion King? I'm getting some pretty strong Rafiki vibes from this response. ;-)
Saw it once, and never saw the need to see it again. It's a pretty middling, run-of-the-mill Disney movie. Not the worst, but far from the best.
What is your all-time favorite Disney movie then?

Lilo & Stitch

Have you seen Frozen yet?

This is the version of Frozen I've seen. It's quite good.

Haven't seen Disney's version yet... but I've got it on my Netflix queue. (Checks list)

Yup. There it is, at spot #222. Gonna be a while before I get to it...


James Jacobs wrote:
Tels wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Alexander Augunas wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Alexander Augunas wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
What do you do when you feel like you done screwed up and said something in anger that you can't take back, especially to your parents?
Admit to and own the mistake. Don't hide from it. Learn from it.
Are you a fan of the Lion King? I'm getting some pretty strong Rafiki vibes from this response. ;-)
Saw it once, and never saw the need to see it again. It's a pretty middling, run-of-the-mill Disney movie. Not the worst, but far from the best.
What is your all-time favorite Disney movie then?

Lilo & Stitch

Have you seen Frozen yet?

This is the version of Frozen I've seen. It's quite good.

Haven't seen Disney's version yet... but I've got it on my Netflix queue. (Checks list)

Yup. There it is, at spot #222. Gonna be a while before I get to it...

Hmm... maybe in time for another trip to the Ice Witches?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dragon78 wrote:

1)What are your top 10 favorite Disney animated movies?

2)What are your top 5 favorite Pixar movies?

3)What are your top 5 non-Disney/non-Pixar animated movies?

1) Lilo & Stitch

Snow White
Bambi
Aladdin
The Emperor's New Groove
Sleeping Beauty
Fantasia
Fantasia 2
Treasure Planet
Atlantis: The Lost Empire

2) Wall-E
Up
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
The Incredibles
Haven't seen Brave yet, but I bet it'd go up to the top of the list and knock Toy Story 2 off.

3) How to Train Your Dragon
The Secret of Nimh
The Iron Giant
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke


On the topic of Pathfinder (character bio)
Do female dwarves have beards? I am working up a bio for a character who was kicked out of her clan for her inability to grow a beard.

Contributor

James Jacobs wrote:
Alexander Augunas wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Alexander Augunas wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
What do you do when you feel like you done screwed up and said something in anger that you can't take back, especially to your parents?
Admit to and own the mistake. Don't hide from it. Learn from it.
Are you a fan of the Lion King? I'm getting some pretty strong Rafiki vibes from this response. ;-)
Saw it once, and never saw the need to see it again. It's a pretty middling, run-of-the-mill Disney movie. Not the worst, but far from the best.
What is your all-time favorite Disney movie then?

Lilo & Stitch

MINE TOO!

Can we be BFFs now? I promise I won't answer any questions on your forum, ask you rules questions with the intent of attacking my GM with them, or crash a shiny, red spaceship into your abode!?!

Sczarni RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

James Jacobs wrote:
Dragon78 wrote:
1)What are your top 10 favorite Disney animated movies?

1) Lilo & Stitch

Snow White
Bambi
Aladdin
The Emperor's New Groove
Sleeping Beauty
Fantasia
Fantasia 2
Treasure Planet
Atlantis: The Lost Empire

Then what place is Black Cauldron?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Have you seen the original Land Before Time? The dark and grim one without the singing.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Cubed wrote:

On the topic of Pathfinder (character bio)

Do female dwarves have beards? I am working up a bio for a character who was kicked out of her clan for her inability to grow a beard.

They do not have beards in Pathfinder.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Alexander Augunas wrote:

MINE TOO!

Can we be BFFs now? I promise I won't answer any questions on your forum, ask you rules questions with the intent of attacking my GM with them, or crash a shiny, red spaceship into your abode!?!

Meega, nala kweesta!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Thomas LeBlanc wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Dragon78 wrote:
1)What are your top 10 favorite Disney animated movies?

1) Lilo & Stitch

Snow White
Bambi
Aladdin
The Emperor's New Groove
Sleeping Beauty
Fantasia
Fantasia 2
Treasure Planet
Atlantis: The Lost Empire
Then what place is Black Cauldron?

It's not there at all, because I've actauly never seen it.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Rysky wrote:
Have you seen the original Land Before Time? The dark and grim one without the singing.

I have not. Not really interested in it. Dinosaurs really REALLY lose my interest once they talk. ESPECIALLY if it's a case of the herbivores can talk but the carnivores can't... which may or may not be the case in Land before Time, but it was in "Dinosaur!" which went from the first 10 minutes perhaps being my favorite movie ever to one of the most disappointing of the year.

The Exchange

James Jacobs how do you like your hero's all goodie two shoes LG, spawn like anti-hero, pan fried with a hint of garlic?

Sczarni

James,

With the Sound Striker Bard Archetype Wierd Words ability there are a few clarifications that would really help as the forums just can't seem to come to agreement. We would really appreciate your take.

1) Can multiple words be directed at the same target during the same round?

2) Are the words considered to be weapon attacks, like rays, for the purposes of point-blank shot, precise shot, etc.?

3) Do the words bypass DR as a (SU) ability or consider DR as a blunt, piercing, or slashing weapon type?

Thanks!


Crellan wrote:

James,

With the Sound Striker Bard Archetype Wierd Words ability there are a few clarifications that would really help as the forums just can't seem to come to agreement. We would really appreciate your take.

1) Can multiple words be directed at the same target during the same round?

2) Are the words considered to be weapon attacks, like rays, for the purposes of point-blank shot, precise shot, etc.?

3) Do the words bypass DR as a (SU) ability or consider DR as a blunt, piercing, or slashing weapon type?

Thanks!

Not to infringe on James, but there is a long standing thread on this subject. The Pathfinder Design Team (PDT) has been fairly active in that thread as regards to the future errata of Sound Striker and how Weird Words will change.

Sczarni

Thanks Tels, that is what I was looking for!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Good morning James!

The aboleth-called planetoid that caused Earthfall was aimed at Azlant. But, the 'heart' of the planetoid that became the Starstone landed far off target from Azlant in the middle of the Inner Sea. Does this mean that there are other remnants of the aboleth weapon with similar (or slightly reduced) powers hidden about Golarion waiting to be discovered?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

countchocula wrote:
James Jacobs how do you like your hero's all goodie two shoes LG, spawn like anti-hero, pan fried with a hint of garlic?

I have no idea what's going on here. Please rephrase?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Crellan wrote:

James,

With the Sound Striker Bard Archetype Wierd Words ability there are a few clarifications that would really help as the forums just can't seem to come to agreement. We would really appreciate your take.

1) Can multiple words be directed at the same target during the same round?

2) Are the words considered to be weapon attacks, like rays, for the purposes of point-blank shot, precise shot, etc.?

3) Do the words bypass DR as a (SU) ability or consider DR as a blunt, piercing, or slashing weapon type?

Thanks!

0) One of my favorite rules of english: "I before E unless the word is weird" comes to mind.

That said... if you're looking for ammunition from Paizo to win/solve/answer an argument that is raging on one or more forums, I guarantee that a portion of those arguing on that thread will not count anything I say here in this thread as legitimate Paizo rulings, and in fact may end up using my words and your attempt to use my words against you to make the thread even MORE vitriolic and argumentative.

It's because of that unfortunate truth about how parts of this messageboard's culture has developed over the past few years that I don't answer questions like these, and instead suggest you take the questions to the rules boards to ask them there so that they can be FAQed.

That process is MUCH SLOWER than getting an answer from me, it's true. I'm not part of the FAQ team though, so apart from making frowny faces in meetings and so on, there's not a lot I can do to solve rules arguments on the boards.

At least, not until the boards and/or the design team decides that my rulings carry as much weight as any FAQ answer, which is another way of saying "Not until I'm on the FAQ team helping answer questions," which isn't going to happen. Mostly because handling FAQ questions is a significantly sized job responsibility, and I've already more or less got two jobs already that I sometimes think I might be doing a disservice to by spending to long providing long-winded answers to questions on this thread! :-)

So... sorry I can't help, and I appreciate your interest in my opinion... but I'd rather not get involved in a question like this. Now... if you'd phrased it without mentioning or implying you wanted to use my answers as leverage and ammunition in another argument somewhere, I might have answered differently. Depends. Although if I later found out that my answers were used to further cause arguments and discontent, I'd get more and more reticent about answering rules questions.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Gladior wrote:

Good morning James!

The aboleth-called planetoid that caused Earthfall was aimed at Azlant. But, the 'heart' of the planetoid that became the Starstone landed far off target from Azlant in the middle of the Inner Sea. Does this mean that there are other remnants of the aboleth weapon with similar (or slightly reduced) powers hidden about Golarion waiting to be discovered?

While that's possible, the amount of impact that the starstone had on history and society and the like over the past several thousands of years means it's EXCEPTIONALLY unlikely that there's anything else of significant note or power that hasn't been discovered or commented upon yet.


James Jacobs wrote:
Crellan wrote:

James,

With the Sound Striker Bard Archetype Wierd Words ability there are a few clarifications that would really help as the forums just can't seem to come to agreement. We would really appreciate your take.

1) Can multiple words be directed at the same target during the same round?

2) Are the words considered to be weapon attacks, like rays, for the purposes of point-blank shot, precise shot, etc.?

3) Do the words bypass DR as a (SU) ability or consider DR as a blunt, piercing, or slashing weapon type?

Thanks!

0) One of my favorite rules of english: "I before E unless the word is weird" comes to mind.

That said... if you're looking for ammunition from Paizo to win/solve/answer an argument that is raging on one or more forums, I guarantee that a portion of those arguing on that thread will not count anything I say here in this thread as legitimate Paizo rulings, and in fact may end up using my words and your attempt to use my words against you to make the thread even MORE vitriolic and argumentative.

It's because of that unfortunate truth about how parts of this messageboard's culture has developed over the past few years that I don't answer questions like these, and instead suggest you take the questions to the rules boards to ask them there so that they can be FAQed.

That process is MUCH SLOWER than getting an answer from me, it's true. I'm not part of the FAQ team though, so apart from making frowny faces in meetings and so on, there's not a lot I can do to solve rules arguments on the boards.

At least, not until the boards and/or the design team decides that my rulings carry as much weight as any FAQ answer, which is another way of saying "Not until I'm on the FAQ team helping answer questions," which isn't going to happen. Mostly because handling FAQ questions is a significantly sized job responsibility, and I've already more or less got two jobs already that I sometimes think I might be doing a disservice to by spending to long providing...

So if I was going to "use" your post in an ongoing argument I would say hey this is what James Jacobs said. He is not a part of the rules team so this well may be a house rule but I tend to find his responses to be level headed so any gms who need a decision right now could use this until the FAQ team gets around to it.

Now would you still be uncomfortable with that? If so I won't do it...Just trying to figure out what is helping other people vs making James mad!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Gladior wrote:

Good morning James!

The aboleth-called planetoid that caused Earthfall was aimed at Azlant. But, the 'heart' of the planetoid that became the Starstone landed far off target from Azlant in the middle of the Inner Sea. Does this mean that there are other remnants of the aboleth weapon with similar (or slightly reduced) powers hidden about Golarion waiting to be discovered?

While that's possible, the amount of impact that the starstone had on history and society and the like over the past several thousands of years means it's EXCEPTIONALLY unlikely that there's anything else of significant note or power that hasn't been discovered or commented upon yet.

I thought I remembered reading in Distant Worlds that there were some shards of the Starstone on the moon... Of course, these shards would hold but a miniscule fraction of the Starstone's power.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Winfred wrote:

So if I was going to "use" your post in an ongoing argument I would say hey this is what James Jacobs said. He is not a part of the rules team so this well may be a house rule but I tend to find his responses to be level headed so any gms who need a decision right now could use this until the FAQ team gets around to it.

Now would you still be uncomfortable with that? If so I won't do it...Just trying to figure out what is helping other people vs making James mad!

In fact, that's precisely the type of use of my posts that makes me uncomfortable.

One of the things that bothers me the most is the implication that I know the rules of the game less than the design team, despite the fact that I've been using the rules for longer than most of the design team, and AS long as Jason has been... and in fact have much more experience in implementing the rules into the form of adventures than the rules team does... but somehow, my input on rules is deemed/interpreted as faulty or flawed by some. It's frustrating and kind of insulting, but I try not to let it get to me. One of the ways I try to not let it get to me, frankly, is by avoiding getting embroiled in topics or threads that give folks opportunities to take this stance against me.

The fact that I choose to spend a fair amount of my free time and a portion of my work hours online here answering questions is my own choice. The fact that the design team doesn't have as active a role on these forums is more an indication that they have busier personal lives than I do than any real desire for them to not take part in these threads.

AKA: I've been burned enough online by folks reacting poorly to my attempt to provide rules feedback, and have had some in-house blowback from management and the design team, that I'm just increasingly hesitant and uninterested in providing feedback, clarifications, and rulings on content that's appeared in the rulebook line.

I'm ABSOLUTELY WILLING to provide feedback and clarifications and rulings on things that appear in our other products, but as it turns out, the majority of the rules-lawyer questions arise from the rulebooks, not the adventures.

So really, it's more a point of me trying to maintain my mental health than anything else at this point by not getting involved in rules book discussions that are, in the end, better served overall by the FAQ. If that means some folks need to be patient and wait longer to get the answers they're looking for, my mental health is fine with that.


Mr. James Jacobs,

As I recall you liked the Pact Binders from the 3.5 Tome of Magic. So, I was wondering: Would Aroden make a good vestige? If so what level would you put him at? Also, while I am not expecting you to remember the whole of the class mechanics, from what you remember what are some tweaks you would make to bring it in line to Pathfinder?

On a related, though not obviously so, Note: If there were a spiritual realm which contained the sum of every intelligent beings memory in the multiverse, which plane would it be, or would it be a new plane?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Haladir wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Gladior wrote:

Good morning James!

The aboleth-called planetoid that caused Earthfall was aimed at Azlant. But, the 'heart' of the planetoid that became the Starstone landed far off target from Azlant in the middle of the Inner Sea. Does this mean that there are other remnants of the aboleth weapon with similar (or slightly reduced) powers hidden about Golarion waiting to be discovered?

While that's possible, the amount of impact that the starstone had on history and society and the like over the past several thousands of years means it's EXCEPTIONALLY unlikely that there's anything else of significant note or power that hasn't been discovered or commented upon yet.
I thought I remembered reading in Distant Worlds that there were some shards of the Starstone on the moon... Of course, these shards would hold but a miniscule fraction of the Starstone's power.

That's absolutely a possibility. But they're on the Moon, not on Golarion, and as such don't really have much of an impact on the vast majority of the things we've been publishing.

Whether or not there ARE more shards or things on the moon... I'm not yet willing to say.

I do think that the more shards we spread around, though, the less unique and thus the less important the Startsone itself gets, and I don't really want to make that happen.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

The NPC wrote:

Mr. James Jacobs,

As I recall you liked the Pact Binders from the 3.5 Tome of Magic. So, I was wondering: Would Aroden make a good vestige? If so what level would you put him at? Also, while I am not expecting you to remember the whole of the class mechanics, from what you remember what are some tweaks you would make to bring it in line to Pathfinder?

On a related, though not obviously so, Note: If there were a spiritual realm which contained the sum of every intelligent beings memory in the multiverse, which plane would it be, or would it be a new plane?

They were just called binders, weren't they?

Aroden is a perfect example of what would make a great visage, though.

If I were to bring the binder or something akin to it into Pathifnder, I'd explore a caster-type class that gains spell-like abilities as its way to create magic rather than actual spellcasting. That's more or less what a binder was.

And in fact, the divine obedience system I developed for Lords of Chaos, that then went on to inspire the same for all the gods in Inner Sea Gods, was as much inspired by the binder as it was Green Ronin's Book of Fiends.

A spiritual realm that contains the sum of every intelligent being's memory already exists. That's what existence is, pretty much—it's called the multiverse.


James Jacobs wrote:
Winfred wrote:

So if I was going to "use" your post in an ongoing argument I would say hey this is what James Jacobs said. He is not a part of the rules team so this well may be a house rule but I tend to find his responses to be level headed so any gms who need a decision right now could use this until the FAQ team gets around to it.

Now would you still be uncomfortable with that? If so I won't do it...Just trying to figure out what is helping other people vs making James mad!

In fact, that's precisely the type of use of my posts that makes me uncomfortable.

One of the things that bothers me the most is the implication that I know the rules of the game less than the design team, despite the fact that I've been using the rules for longer than most of the design team, and AS long as Jason has been... and in fact have much more experience in implementing the rules into the form of adventures than the rules team does... but somehow, my input on rules is deemed/interpreted as faulty or flawed by some. It's frustrating and kind of insulting, but I try not to let it get to me. One of the ways I try to not let it get to me, frankly, is by avoiding getting embroiled in topics or threads that give folks opportunities to take this stance against me.

The fact that I choose to spend a fair amount of my free time and a portion of my work hours online here answering questions is my own choice. The fact that the design team doesn't have as active a role on these forums is more an indication that they have busier personal lives than I do than any real desire for them to not take part in these threads.

AKA: I've been burned enough online by folks reacting poorly to my attempt to provide rules feedback, and have had some in-house blowback from management and the design team, that I'm just increasingly hesitant and uninterested in providing feedback, clarifications, and rulings on content that's appeared in the rulebook line.

I'm ABSOLUTELY WILLING to provide feedback and clarifications and...

James just to clarify I didn't really mean I believe you know the rules worse than the design team. :) The reason I would put those sorts of caveats there is so that hopefully those who wish to use it as ammunition in their arguments would hopefully not point to that post but those who wanted a sensible ruling for a home game could look at it and say Hmm that is sensible I think I will use it! Sorry to have implied otherwise! Honestly it would be sort of silly to seek out your rulings if I really thought they were bad. But still I will refrain from doing that.

Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs wrote:
Alexander Augunas wrote:

MINE TOO!

Can we be BFFs now? I promise I won't answer any questions on your forum, ask you rules questions with the intent of attacking my GM with them, or crash a shiny, red spaceship into your abode!?!

Meega, nala kweesta!

Looks up what that phrase translates to in alien.

*Faints*

Contributor

James Jacobs wrote:
They were just called binders, weren't they?

Confirmed.


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

How many many times does someone have to spell deity with the i before the e for it to be okay to point out they're doing it wrong?


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

*twitch*

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Kajehase wrote:
How many many times does someone have to spell deity with the i before the e for it to be okay to point out they're doing it wrong?

Only once. The earlier you point it out, the earlier they can learn.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Kajehase wrote:
*twitch*

'Diety' is a perfectly good word in Polish, my dear Scandinavian freind.

Contributor

James! I'll be playing in The Whaler's Bluff Project with you next week at PaizoCon. Any things I should keep in mind or look forward to? The very little CoC experience I have is running three sessions for some friends a few months back.

I'm looking forward to it!

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

New, sugar-free nectar and fat-free ambrosia, for all the dieting deities and those who deify their diets.

Silver Crusade

James, I have two questions on animal companions for you.

1: Would you see anything unbalancing for a large size standard dog as an animal companion?

2: How would magical creation of an animal, say a druid and a wizard work together the druid casts animal growth on the animal and the wizard casts Permanency on a breeding pair of animals then they are bred would that work?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

donato wrote:

James! I'll be playing in The Whaler's Bluff Project with you next week at PaizoCon. Any things I should keep in mind or look forward to? The very little CoC experience I have is running three sessions for some friends a few months back.

I'm looking forward to it!

Call of Cthulhu is easy to get into. I'll be providing characters. All you need to bring are dice and a pencil, really.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Lou Diamond wrote:

James, I have two questions on animal companions for you.

1: Would you see anything unbalancing for a large size standard dog as an animal companion?

2: How would magical creation of an animal, say a druid and a wizard work together the druid casts animal growth on the animal and the wizard casts Permanency on a breeding pair of animals then they are bred would that work?

1) Absolutely, since the current rules for a dog are for Small dogs that become Medium, and because the game doesn't have Large dogs at all anyway.

2) However the GM wants it to work, really. In games I run, druids wouldn't really be into what is essentially "genetic engineering" anyway.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber

Hi James,

Have you been watching Penny Dreadful? If so what do you think. I have been watching it on demand and only up to episode 3, but so far I am digging it.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Random grab bag of questions, GO!

1) What would you say separates nature-loving oracles or clerics and actual druids? What makes a cleric of Gozreh different from a druid who follows the Green Faith for example?

2) Why, in your opinion, did the Falchion become basically the scimitar's answer to the longsword/greatsword paradigm, rather than appearing as actual falchions are, which are short, one-handed chopping blades more akin to the falcata (in fact the name falchion is an evolution of the word falcata)? I understand that the reason it's like that in Pathfinder is because it was like that in the world's oldest role-playing game, but why did that happen in the first place? And furthermore, why did RPGs start referring to the arming/knightly sword as a longsword? More accurately, proper longswords are what the game describes as bastard swords (which IS an accurate term, but by no means the only one).

3) Which seems more "heroic" to you? Mustaches or complete beards? And what thickness of hair seems most heroic? Or do you think bald, clean-shaven characters seem more heroic?

4) What happens if a mythic character uses two different weapons in battle and then takes the Divine Source path ability to become a god? Which weapon becomes their "favored weapon" that their new clerics gain access to at first level?

5) Generally speaking, what colors are Shoanti tattoos? Do individual Quahs have favored colors?

6) On the matter of the Shoanti, do you think it's better for PCs in Curse of the Crimson Throne to NOT have connections to them via things like ancestry? I wonder if PCs who have pre-existing ties to Shoanti culture may have the same effect on A History of Ashes that playing as an Android in the upcoming Iron Gods AP would, taking away part of the element of discovery.

And thank you for your patience with my annoying, awkward questions and emotional insecurity.

The Exchange

James Jacobs wrote:

...suggest you take the questions to the rules boards to ask them there so that they can be FAQed.

That process is MUCH SLOWER than getting an answer from me, it's true. I'm not part of the FAQ team though, so apart from making frowny faces in meetings and so on, there's not a lot I can do to solve rules arguments on the boards.

James, the most frustrating aspect of Paizo is the slowness (or complete absence) of getting answers to rules questions. The old Dragon Sage Advice column was a favorite - the ability to ask a neutral third party with insight and rules knowledge.

Q: Why can't this be resolved? Is it a monetary issue, philosophical viewpoint, territorial issue, conspiracy, other?

I'm not trying to get you or anybody else in trouble - just trying to understand why a company I love won't do the obvious thing to make the fans happy...

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Cubed wrote:

On the topic of Pathfinder (character bio)

Do female dwarves have beards? I am working up a bio for a character who was kicked out of her clan for her inability to grow a beard.
They do not have beards in Pathfinder.

Even if it's a clan whose main business is carving duck calls???


James Jacobs wrote:
The NPC wrote:

Mr. James Jacobs,

As I recall you liked the Pact Binders from the 3.5 Tome of Magic. So, I was wondering: Would Aroden make a good vestige? If so what level would you put him at? Also, while I am not expecting you to remember the whole of the class mechanics, from what you remember what are some tweaks you would make to bring it in line to Pathfinder?

On a related, though not obviously so, Note: If there were a spiritual realm which contained the sum of every intelligent beings memory in the multiverse, which plane would it be, or would it be a new plane?

They were just called binders, weren't they?

Aroden is a perfect example of what would make a great visage, though.

If I were to bring the binder or something akin to it into Pathifnder, I'd explore a caster-type class that gains spell-like abilities as its way to create magic rather than actual spellcasting. That's more or less what a binder was.

And in fact, the divine obedience system I developed for Lords of Chaos, that then went on to inspire the same for all the gods in Inner Sea Gods, was as much inspired by the binder as it was Green Ronin's Book of Fiends.

A spiritual realm that contains the sum of every intelligent being's memory already exists. That's what existence is, pretty much—it's called the multiverse.

So there's equivalent to the Akashic Records or something similar?


1)Did Iomedae have a family before she became a god?

2)what was Iomedae's family like?

3)You said of the good gods Iomedae is the least sympathetic to mortal hardship so who are the three most sympathetic gods to mortal hardship?

4)How big is Shelyn's planar realm?

5)Are there any planar metropolis in Shelyn's realm that are the size of Alushinyrra?

6)Are there any planar metropolis in Iomedae's realm that are the size of Alushinyrra?

AND

7)Do you think we will get a new the great beyond book next year?

8)when will we get that romance of the inner sea Campaign Setting book?

46,501 to 46,550 of 77,074 << first < prev | 926 | 927 | 928 | 929 | 930 | 931 | 932 | 933 | 934 | 935 | 936 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.