>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

46,201 to 46,250 of 77,275 << first < prev | 920 | 921 | 922 | 923 | 924 | 925 | 926 | 927 | 928 | 929 | 930 | next > last >>
Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
How do humans learn enough about Apsu to worship him? Since he doesn't seem to have an organized church to standardize things, how does a paladin or cleric of Apsu learn how to be such?
Same way they learn about anything like that. Knowledge (religion) or exploring a temple or talking to another worshiper or whatever. Lots of ways.
Where ARE temples of Apsu, then? Inner Sea Gods doesn't include centers of worship for him like it does for Ghlaunder, Alseta or Naderi, to name a few. I'm wondering if people in Brevoy have heard of him.

Correct. He's pretty obscure and his temples are generally well-hidden in remote areas or in ruins or far from human eyes.

If you want to play a human/humanoid worshiper of Apsu, the best bet is to have that character learn of Apsu via old texts or legend, and then you can have "find a temple of Apsu" be part of that character's goals.

Some folks in Brevoy (and elsewhere) have heard of him... but generally only if they're religious scholars, smarties, or have a few ranks in Knowledge (religion), or have associations with good dragons.

AKA: There's a reason he's not a core 20 deity. He's obscure.

And on second thought, he's not what I'm looking for. I'm trying to find a deity who'd be okay with a paladin of theirs participating in Aldori dueling culture. Given that peace is part of his portfolio, the Aldori swordlords would probably view his worshipers as weak at best and collaborators with the hated Surtovas at worst, because they WANT war. They want to overthrow the arrogant and stupid Issians that have kept them down since that cheating bastard Choral sicced his dragons on the old Swordlords.

Abadar seems to staid and reserved to allow his paladins to be hot-blooded duelists willing to pick a fight over perceived slurs to one's honor. He also probably wouldn't approve of the Swordlords' rhetoric against King Noleski, their lawful king.

Erastil would definitely disapprove of such behavior.

"Duels? Crowns? Why the hell are you wasting your time with that crap when the harvest needs to be brought in and Goodwife Niska needs her barn roof repaired?!"

Paladins of Erastil are probably the LAST people who'd want to be kings.

Iomedae likes swords, has rulership in her portfolio and has a temple in Brevoy, but it's in New Stetven, the seat of Surtova power in the region, and any Brevic paladins of hers likely go across the Lake of Mists and Veils to Mendev as soon as they're ready.

The other paladin-producing deities don't have enough influence in Brevoy and more specifically Restov, and don't really impact Kingmaker's plot enough to not feel like outliers, like I'm trying to shoe-horn the deity in there when the AP's plot doesn't accomodate for them. I'm at a loss.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Having recently gained a changeling PC in my WotR campaign, I've gotten to thinking about the race. What's your take on these questions?

1. Are changelings capable of having children? (Or can they not become mothers unless they "mature" into hags?)
2. If a changeling *can* have children, are those children also changelings?
3. Assuming a changeling can have children, and that such a child is a changeling herself, could that child be targeted by "the call" from Grandma Hag?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

LazarX wrote:

So James... if you were transported to Golarion... and were forced to choose... Which of these would you rather fight?

1. 100 duck sized horses?

2. 1 horse sized duck?

1

Paizo Employee Creative Director

John Mangrum wrote:

Having recently gained a changeling PC in my WotR campaign, I've gotten to thinking about the race. What's your take on these questions?

1. Are changelings capable of having children? (Or can they not become mothers unless they "mature" into hags?)
2. If a changeling *can* have children, are those children also changelings?
3. Assuming a changeling can have children, and that such a child is a changeling herself, could that child be targeted by "the call" from Grandma Hag?

1) Yes, they can have children. Unless we have said otherwise in some book somewhere, of course... I'm not 100% up to speed on what we've published for them yet. And assuming so, then...

2) Yes.

3) Yes.

The Exchange

James Jacobs if their was a 10ft fire breathing clown zombie spider running around the office which staff member would you think is most capable of taking it on in one on one combat?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:

1) Yes, they can have children. Unless we have said otherwise in some book somewhere, of course... I'm not 100% up to speed on what we've published for them yet. And assuming so, then...

2) Yes.
3) Yes.

That lines up with what I was thinking as well.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

countchocula wrote:
James Jacobs if their was a 10ft fire breathing clown zombie spider running around the office which staff member would you think is most capable of taking it on in one on one combat?

Jeff Alvarez.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Have you played Castle Crashers?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Rysky wrote:
Have you played Castle Crashers?

Yes.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Have you played Castle Crashers?
Yes.

What did you think of it?

Sczarni RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

Which 3 PF modules would you like to have sequels?


Hi James!

Me and a friend were discussing battles and warfare in Golarion, and couldn't think of a reason why armies would march in rank and fight classic medieval style with cavalry and infantrymen and such when a few decently powerful spell casters of even around 6th-7th level could rain hell down on 1st-2nd level warrior troops.

So I suppose my question is, how do you see combat working on Golarion? Is it more like modern guerrilla warfare? Or is it rank and file and there's something we're overlooking? I suppose if both forces have wizards they'd counter each other and such, but it still feels like an awful risk to normal troops.


Pathfinder Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Kairos Dawnfury wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:

A few other employees help with the details now and then, particularly Wes, but also Sutter and Erik, but the primary and initial brainstorming of the plot seeds are usually me or Rob.

I outlined and started Runelords, Crimson Throne, Second Darkness, Kingmaker, Serpent's Skull, Jade Regent, Shattered Star, Wrath of the Righteous, and Iron Gods.

Rob did Skull & Shackles and Reign of Winter and Mummy's Mask.

Wes did Carrion Crown.

I feel like I'm forgetting one... maybe it's just the 3 that we haven't announced that we know what they are...

Could you remind me what those last 3 are?
Already did... but I did it 2 years from now. Is your time machine not working?

Well we only have to wait 3 weeks for the next one right?

The Exchange

James -

1) Have you heard about Turducken?
2) Have you tried it?
3) What are your feelings about the concept?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Thomas LeBlanc wrote:
Which 3 PF modules would you like to have sequels?

Carrion Hill, Feast of Ravenmoor, and Moonscar.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Rysky wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Have you played Castle Crashers?
Yes.
What did you think of it?

Diverting, fun, and pleasing to look at.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Nargemn wrote:

Hi James!

Me and a friend were discussing battles and warfare in Golarion, and couldn't think of a reason why armies would march in rank and fight classic medieval style with cavalry and infantrymen and such when a few decently powerful spell casters of even around 6th-7th level could rain hell down on 1st-2nd level warrior troops.

So I suppose my question is, how do you see combat working on Golarion? Is it more like modern guerrilla warfare? Or is it rank and file and there's something we're overlooking? I suppose if both forces have wizards they'd counter each other and such, but it still feels like an awful risk to normal troops.

It would certainly vary by region. In Nirmathas and Molthune, it's a mix of guerrilla warfare and classic cavalry/infantry, while down in Nex and Geb it's more fantastic and magical.

Spellcasters aren't as numerous or widespread or ubiquitous among non-PC characters in the world to completely disrupt warfare all over, in other words... no more so than real-world artillery fire or the like would impact. So war is closer to what you'd see in a modern era than you do in medieval times on average... which makes sense, since Golarion is inspired by medieval stuff but is NOT itself medieval. Magic makes it not.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Justin Franklin wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Kairos Dawnfury wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:

A few other employees help with the details now and then, particularly Wes, but also Sutter and Erik, but the primary and initial brainstorming of the plot seeds are usually me or Rob.

I outlined and started Runelords, Crimson Throne, Second Darkness, Kingmaker, Serpent's Skull, Jade Regent, Shattered Star, Wrath of the Righteous, and Iron Gods.

Rob did Skull & Shackles and Reign of Winter and Mummy's Mask.

Wes did Carrion Crown.

I feel like I'm forgetting one... maybe it's just the 3 that we haven't announced that we know what they are...

Could you remind me what those last 3 are?
Already did... but I did it 2 years from now. Is your time machine not working?
Well we only have to wait 3 weeks for the next one right?

We'll see.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

eldergod0515 wrote:

James -

1) Have you heard about Turducken?
2) Have you tried it?
3) What are your feelings about the concept?

1) Yes

2) No

3) Gross


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
eldergod0515 wrote:

James -

1) Have you heard about Turducken?
2) Have you tried it?
3) What are your feelings about the concept?

1) Yes

2) No
3) Gross

Ah, but have you heard of the legendary cthurkey?


Pathfinder Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Justin Franklin wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Kairos Dawnfury wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:

A few other employees help with the details now and then, particularly Wes, but also Sutter and Erik, but the primary and initial brainstorming of the plot seeds are usually me or Rob.

I outlined and started Runelords, Crimson Throne, Second Darkness, Kingmaker, Serpent's Skull, Jade Regent, Shattered Star, Wrath of the Righteous, and Iron Gods.

Rob did Skull & Shackles and Reign of Winter and Mummy's Mask.

Wes did Carrion Crown.

I feel like I'm forgetting one... maybe it's just the 3 that we haven't announced that we know what they are...

Could you remind me what those last 3 are?
Already did... but I did it 2 years from now. Is your time machine not working?
Well we only have to wait 3 weeks for the next one right?
We'll see.

Are you saying you might not announce the AP after Iron Gods at PaizoCon?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Haladir wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
eldergod0515 wrote:

James -

1) Have you heard about Turducken?
2) Have you tried it?
3) What are your feelings about the concept?

1) Yes

2) No
3) Gross
Ah, but have you heard of the legendary cthurkey?

The answers are the same.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Justin Franklin wrote:
Are you saying you might not announce the AP after Iron Gods at PaizoCon?

The plan is to announce the next AP at PaizoCon... but a lot can happen in 3 weeks. I can't predict the future. Mount Rainier might explode. I might get lost in the woods. You might lose interest in the game and become a hermit. Etc.


James Jacobs wrote:
Kairos Dawnfury wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:

A few other employees help with the details now and then, particularly Wes, but also Sutter and Erik, but the primary and initial brainstorming of the plot seeds are usually me or Rob.

I outlined and started Runelords, Crimson Throne, Second Darkness, Kingmaker, Serpent's Skull, Jade Regent, Shattered Star, Wrath of the Righteous, and Iron Gods.

Rob did Skull & Shackles and Reign of Winter and Mummy's Mask.

Wes did Carrion Crown.

I feel like I'm forgetting one... maybe it's just the 3 that we haven't announced that we know what they are...

Could you remind me what those last 3 are?
Already did... but I did it 2 years from now. Is your time machine not working?

So I take it one has to get up pretty earlier in the morning to pull one over on you. Exactly how early would that be?


What level of spell would a Numerian force field be if a Technic a League Wizard wanted to cast a spell to duplicate such a spell?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Mythic JMD031 wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Kairos Dawnfury wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:

A few other employees help with the details now and then, particularly Wes, but also Sutter and Erik, but the primary and initial brainstorming of the plot seeds are usually me or Rob.

I outlined and started Runelords, Crimson Throne, Second Darkness, Kingmaker, Serpent's Skull, Jade Regent, Shattered Star, Wrath of the Righteous, and Iron Gods.

Rob did Skull & Shackles and Reign of Winter and Mummy's Mask.

Wes did Carrion Crown.

I feel like I'm forgetting one... maybe it's just the 3 that we haven't announced that we know what they are...

Could you remind me what those last 3 are?
Already did... but I did it 2 years from now. Is your time machine not working?
So I take it one has to get up pretty earlier in the morning to pull one over on you. Exactly how early would that be?

Earlier than you'd be able to wake up. AKA: I prefer not to do things that give my bosses any reasons to fire me.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

The Mighty Chocobo wrote:
What level of spell would a Numerian force field be if a Technic a League Wizard wanted to cast a spell to duplicate such a spell?

I'd rather not say, since I think that having some things work via tech and some via magic helps to keep the two types of things separate and distinct from each other even though they use the same rules and are balanced/priced using the same guidelines.


James Jacobs wrote:
Mythic JMD031 wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Kairos Dawnfury wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:

A few other employees help with the details now and then, particularly Wes, but also Sutter and Erik, but the primary and initial brainstorming of the plot seeds are usually me or Rob.

I outlined and started Runelords, Crimson Throne, Second Darkness, Kingmaker, Serpent's Skull, Jade Regent, Shattered Star, Wrath of the Righteous, and Iron Gods.

Rob did Skull & Shackles and Reign of Winter and Mummy's Mask.

Wes did Carrion Crown.

I feel like I'm forgetting one... maybe it's just the 3 that we haven't announced that we know what they are...

Could you remind me what those last 3 are?
Already did... but I did it 2 years from now. Is your time machine not working?
So I take it one has to get up pretty earlier in the morning to pull one over on you. Exactly how early would that be?
Earlier than you'd be able to wake up. AKA: I prefer not to do things that give my bosses any reasons to fire me.

Bah. They couldn't fire you. It would be less than five minutes before the petitions to have you back reached half a million signatures. They'd have to let you back in.


Pretty sure if they fired you they would drop below the 'minimum number of t-rexes on staff' laws. You could sue them for being a speciest!

What's the worst part about being a t-rex that isn't related to having small arms?


Found this funny video of an out-of-control concrete power trowel and I noticed something in the comments.

How do you feel about this?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
LazarX wrote:

So James... if you were transported to Golarion... and were forced to choose... Which of these would you rather fight?

1. 100 duck sized horses?

2. 1 horse sized duck?

1

Not quite as amusing as the answer provided by The Boss, but you get points for brevity.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Tels wrote:
What's the worst part about being a t-rex that isn't related to having small arms?

People misunderstanding how powerful they are.


So I've heard you are the Demon Lord and that Wes (I believe) is the Archdevil of Paizo.
1. Who is the Empyreal Lord?
2. Kyton Demagogue?
3. Rakasha Immortal?
4. Protean Lord
5. Primal Inevitable?
Etc.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Tels wrote:

Found this funny video of an out-of-control concrete power trowel and I noticed something in the comments.

How do you feel about this?

Huh!

The Exchange

have you ever considered removing the LG class feature from the paladin class or just removing the class altogether?


Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Tels wrote:
What's the worst part about being a t-rex that isn't related to having small arms?
People misunderstanding how powerful they are.

Misunderstood weak or misunderstood strong?

The Exchange

I think he meant how powerful the T-rex mini arms are some may refer to them as the pray mantis arms of the Jurassic ages.. more so if they have been replaced with gatling guns or chainsaws


countchocula wrote:
I think he meant how powerful the T-rex mini arms are some may refer to them as the pray mantis arms of the Jurassic ages.. more so if they have been replaced with gatling guns or chainsaws

What about gatling guns that shoot chainsaws?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
countchocula wrote:
have you ever considered removing the LG class feature from the paladin class or just removing the class altogether?

No. That's the whole entire complete point of the paladin; that she's the epitome of law and good.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

j b 200 wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Tels wrote:
What's the worst part about being a t-rex that isn't related to having small arms?
People misunderstanding how powerful they are.
Misunderstood weak or misunderstood strong?

Misunderstood weak.

Silver Crusade

Was The Whispering Tyrant at the height of his power a more powerful necromancer than the Runelord of Gluttony?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Hrothdane wrote:
Was The Whispering Tyrant at the height of his power a more powerful necromancer than the Runelord of Gluttony?

Yes.

The Exchange

James Jacobs wrote:
countchocula wrote:
have you ever considered removing the LG class feature from the paladin class or just removing the class altogether?
No. That's the whole entire complete point of the paladin; that she's the epitome of law and good.

I am sorry and I do not mean this in a disrespectful way and please excuse my naivety regarding this subject but should that not be the players choice?


Hey James I know you don't give official rules answers here...but this is more beyond the rules and I value your opinion as a GM.

Would you allow a druid who been adventuring with somebody for at least a couple of years to be able to teach that person commands for their animal companion? And have that animal follow the commands?

Technically it is not a trained animal...so it follow the druids commands more based on loyalty than training...but I also think given time the animal might get used to a traveling companion and maybe trust them more.

Anyway I am curious as to your opinion on this as a fellow GM...not as one of the best Game Designers out there.


Pathfinder Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Justin Franklin wrote:
Are you saying you might not announce the AP after Iron Gods at PaizoCon?
The plan is to announce the next AP at PaizoCon... but a lot can happen in 3 weeks. I can't predict the future. Mount Rainier might explode. I might get lost in the woods. You might lose interest in the game and become a hermit. Etc.

Ah! I see. That hermit part is tempting some days.


James Jacobs wrote:
Hrothdane wrote:
Was The Whispering Tyrant at the height of his power a more powerful necromancer than the Runelord of Gluttony?
Yes.

Was he more powerful than all the Runelords of Gluttony throughout Thassilon's history?


5 people marked this as a favorite.
countchocula wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
countchocula wrote:
have you ever considered removing the LG class feature from the paladin class or just removing the class altogether?
No. That's the whole entire complete point of the paladin; that she's the epitome of law and good.

I am sorry and I do not mean this in a disrespectful way and please excuse my naivety regarding this subject but should that not be the players choice?

Please don't. Not in this thread.

Whatever answer the man gives, for Cayden's sake just leave it at that.


The Mighty Chocobo wrote:

So I've heard you are the Demon Lord and that Wes (I believe) is the Archdevil of Paizo.

1. Who is the Empyreal Lord?
2. Kyton Demagogue?
3. Rakasha Immortal?
4. Protean Lord
5. Primal Inevitable?
Etc.

Was this question lost? If all of them can't be answered I'm fine with that, but do I need to plant one of my friends in Paizo?


Why don't you guy make new 0-level spells?. I have not seen any new ones in your resent books


So I've been running Runelords for my group for a while now, halfway through, and I love GMing. First time GMing more than a session or two.

My buddy has since started running Wrath of the Righteous for us. While I'm really excited to play a character and get to build him up and everything, I feel like I'm playing blind. It's kinda... disorienting.

Is this just the difference between controlling the story and trying to discover it? Is there a way to cope with the feeling?

46,201 to 46,250 of 77,275 << first < prev | 920 | 921 | 922 | 923 | 924 | 925 | 926 | 927 | 928 | 929 | 930 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.