>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

40,051 to 40,100 of 77,492 << first < prev | 797 | 798 | 799 | 800 | 801 | 802 | 803 | 804 | 805 | 806 | 807 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Creative Director

Coridan wrote:
In Kingmaker I would like to build slave markets in my settlements. Surprisingly they aren't in the rules. Was wondering if you had a suggestion for it ruleswise or shoukd it just be part od the regular market?

We didn't include rules for slave markets because we assume the PCs are good guys.

If you wanted to include one in a settlement, you and/or your GM will need to stat them up. I'd say that making slavery legal in your kingdom would quickly shift you away from a good-aligned kingdom at the very least, and might have an impact on your nation's stats here and there. Certainly it should increase unrest to start slaving.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Marthkus wrote:

RAI question.

Do you have to be next to a creature to feint it? Like can you do a Peyton Manning pump fake to feint an enemy?

Since feinting is an action that modifies melee attacks, the implication is that you need to be close enough to the creature to actually make a melee attack. This action doesn't really account for tricking a person into thinking you're going to move in one direction when you really want to move in another if there's no immediate followup melee attack.


James Jacobs wrote:
Marthkus wrote:

RAI question.

Do you have to be next to a creature to feint it? Like can you do a Peyton Manning pump fake to feint an enemy?

Since feinting is an action that modifies melee attacks, the implication is that you need to be close enough to the creature to actually make a melee attack. This action doesn't really account for tricking a person into thinking you're going to move in one direction when you really want to move in another if there's no immediate followup melee attack.

What about when someone uses greater feint?


James Jacobs wrote:
xavier c wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
xavier c wrote:

I was reading the Alushinyrra gazetteer in The Wrath of the Righteous(The Midnight Isles) and was surprised by the sheer size of the city.So do most god and demigod planar Realms have planar cities and Metropolis in them.

And are most god and demigod planar Realms the size of continents or larger

Many gods and demigods have large cities under their control, but Alushinyyra is particularly large, mostly because it's one of the few cities on the Abyss that is open and welcoming (sort of!) to visitors and trade.

Most divine realms are about the size of a continent... but some have planet-sized realms... and some even larger. Very few have a realm smaller than a continent.

Are there any other cities or Towns in the Midnight Isles?
Yes. Many. On average one per isle... with larger isles having multiple cities. They're all much smaller than Alushinyrra though, and much more unwelcoming of PCs.

Can a mythic character have a planar Realm?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Marthkus wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Marthkus wrote:

RAI question.

Do you have to be next to a creature to feint it? Like can you do a Peyton Manning pump fake to feint an enemy?

Since feinting is an action that modifies melee attacks, the implication is that you need to be close enough to the creature to actually make a melee attack. This action doesn't really account for tricking a person into thinking you're going to move in one direction when you really want to move in another if there's no immediate followup melee attack.
What about when someone uses greater feint?

How would that change anything? All Greater Feint does is extend the duration of the bonus you get against a target with your melee attacks.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

xavier c wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
xavier c wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
xavier c wrote:

I was reading the Alushinyrra gazetteer in The Wrath of the Righteous(The Midnight Isles) and was surprised by the sheer size of the city.So do most god and demigod planar Realms have planar cities and Metropolis in them.

And are most god and demigod planar Realms the size of continents or larger

Many gods and demigods have large cities under their control, but Alushinyyra is particularly large, mostly because it's one of the few cities on the Abyss that is open and welcoming (sort of!) to visitors and trade.

Most divine realms are about the size of a continent... but some have planet-sized realms... and some even larger. Very few have a realm smaller than a continent.

Are there any other cities or Towns in the Midnight Isles?
Yes. Many. On average one per isle... with larger isles having multiple cities. They're all much smaller than Alushinyrra though, and much more unwelcoming of PCs.

Can a mythic character have a planar Realm?

Depending on the campaign your GM is running, you don't need to be mythic to own your own planar realm. It certainly helps, though. There are no rules that currently allow a PC to gain powers tied to planar realms though—at this point... owning a planar realm would function kind of like owning a plot of land... only the plot of land is really big.


James Jacobs wrote:
Marthkus wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Marthkus wrote:

RAI question.

Do you have to be next to a creature to feint it? Like can you do a Peyton Manning pump fake to feint an enemy?

Since feinting is an action that modifies melee attacks, the implication is that you need to be close enough to the creature to actually make a melee attack. This action doesn't really account for tricking a person into thinking you're going to move in one direction when you really want to move in another if there's no immediate followup melee attack.
What about when someone uses greater feint?
How would that change anything? All Greater Feint does is extend the duration of the bonus you get against a target with your melee attacks.

Ah ok, some of us were under the impression that greater feint just removed the target's dex bonus to AC until the start of your next turn.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Marthkus wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Marthkus wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Marthkus wrote:

RAI question.

Do you have to be next to a creature to feint it? Like can you do a Peyton Manning pump fake to feint an enemy?

Since feinting is an action that modifies melee attacks, the implication is that you need to be close enough to the creature to actually make a melee attack. This action doesn't really account for tricking a person into thinking you're going to move in one direction when you really want to move in another if there's no immediate followup melee attack.
What about when someone uses greater feint?
How would that change anything? All Greater Feint does is extend the duration of the bonus you get against a target with your melee attacks.
Ah ok, some of us were under the impression that greater feint just removed the target's dex bonus to AC until the start of your next turn.

That's correct. That has no impact on whether or not you can trick an opponent into moving in any direction while you move in another direction though. Tricking a foe into moving in the wrong direction is not what feint does, in any of its incarnations. It's an interesting idea for a new combat maneuver... but it would be a really tricky one to pull off, since when you reverse it and use it against PCs, that basically lets the GM move the player characters as he wishes and that can get ugly and weird.


James Jacobs wrote:
Marthkus wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Marthkus wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Marthkus wrote:

RAI question.

Do you have to be next to a creature to feint it? Like can you do a Peyton Manning pump fake to feint an enemy?

Since feinting is an action that modifies melee attacks, the implication is that you need to be close enough to the creature to actually make a melee attack. This action doesn't really account for tricking a person into thinking you're going to move in one direction when you really want to move in another if there's no immediate followup melee attack.
What about when someone uses greater feint?
How would that change anything? All Greater Feint does is extend the duration of the bonus you get against a target with your melee attacks.
Ah ok, some of us were under the impression that greater feint just removed the target's dex bonus to AC until the start of your next turn.
That's correct. That has no impact on whether or not you can trick an opponent into moving in any direction while you move in another direction though. Tricking a foe into moving in the wrong direction is not what feint does, in any of its incarnations. It's an interesting idea for a new combat maneuver... but it would be a really tricky one to pull off, since when you reverse it and use it against PCs, that basically lets the GM move the player characters as he wishes and that can get ugly and weird.

Oh we have a misunderstanding. By "pump fake" I meant that as a way to feint an opponent at range with greater feint to make them lose their dex bonus to all attacks until the start of your next turn through an over reaction to the maneuver.

So did you say?
It's intended that you feint in melee range.
Greater feint does just remove the dex mod to AC. So if a rogue feints the target with greater feint, his fighter buddy can hit that target without that target having its dex mod to AC.


James Jacobs wrote:
Jeff Erwin wrote:

What do you think of the following?

A tortoise people?
Or a firebird-shamanistic race, for a totally different take on the feathered races, as opposed to the Tengu?

Wasn't a fan of tortoise people when they included them in Mystara as tortles... and I remain not a tortoise person fan today.

And I'd rather not have a bird race. That's the Tengu's role, and there's plenty of other options. Of course... that's not a rabbit hole I'm ready to go down at this time. Got WAY too many androids and robots and the like to wrangle at the moment to start building a distant continent.

James Jacobs hates Tortoises, you heard it here first.

James, if you were offered a part in a movie what would the part be?

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Coridan wrote:
In Kingmaker I would like to build slave markets in my settlements. Surprisingly they aren't in the rules. Was wondering if you had a suggestion for it ruleswise or shoukd it just be part od the regular market?

We didn't include rules for slave markets because we assume the PCs are good guys.

If you wanted to include one in a settlement, you and/or your GM will need to stat them up. I'd say that making slavery legal in your kingdom would quickly shift you away from a good-aligned kingdom at the very least, and might have an impact on your nation's stats here and there. Certainly it should increase unrest to start slaving.

Not to mention Kingmaker takes place in the River Kingdoms, where one of the only hard and fast rules is "Slavery is an abomination."


James Jacobs wrote:
Jeff Erwin wrote:

What do you think of the following?

A tortoise people?
Or a firebird-shamanistic race, for a totally different take on the feathered races, as opposed to the Tengu?

Wasn't a fan of tortoise people when they included them in Mystara as tortles... and I remain not a tortoise person fan today.

And I'd rather not have a bird race. That's the Tengu's role, and there's plenty of other options. Of course... that's not a rabbit hole I'm ready to go down at this time. Got WAY too many androids and robots and the like to wrangle at the moment to start building a distant continent.

Not to mention the classes, archetypes, Iconics, ethnicities, etc that might be needed/required/etc for expanding the info on Golarion.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Marthkus wrote:

Oh we have a misunderstanding. By "pump fake" I meant that as a way to feint an opponent at range with greater feint to make them lose their dex bonus to all attacks until the start of your next turn through an over reaction to the maneuver.

So did you say?
It's intended that you feint in melee range.
Greater feint does just remove the dex mod to AC. So if a rogue feints the target with greater feint, his fighter buddy can hit that target without that target having its dex mod to AC.

Feint works for melee attacks, not ranged attacks. Nothing in the wording of Greater Feint mentions ranged attacks, so it still only helps you with melee attacks.

Likewise, Feint only affects attacks you make against the feinted creature—YOU tricked him, not everyone. Greater Feint makes no mention of "all creatures treat him as flat-footed" or the like, so it works the same as a normal feint. ALL Greater Feint does is extend the duration of the feint maneuver. For you, the one who made that maneuver.

Beyond that, and beyond my interpretation, I suppose you'll need to take the question over to the rules forum.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Mythic JMD031 wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Jeff Erwin wrote:

What do you think of the following?

A tortoise people?
Or a firebird-shamanistic race, for a totally different take on the feathered races, as opposed to the Tengu?

Wasn't a fan of tortoise people when they included them in Mystara as tortles... and I remain not a tortoise person fan today.

And I'd rather not have a bird race. That's the Tengu's role, and there's plenty of other options. Of course... that's not a rabbit hole I'm ready to go down at this time. Got WAY too many androids and robots and the like to wrangle at the moment to start building a distant continent.

James Jacobs hates Tortoises, you heard it here first.

James, if you were offered a part in a movie what would the part be?

Because the "James Jacobs hates (INSERT NOUN HERE)" reaction to my posts annoys me by putting words in my mouth, I'm not gonna answer the actual question. Feel free to re-post it without being snarky.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

If the deities that are older are more powerful is their power a direct or indirect result of their age? By that I mean do the Golarion gods get more powerful just do to the fact they are older and their age supernaturally imparts some type of power to them or is it just an indirect result of those gods having more time to gather knowledge and power by other means that the younger ones haven't had?


James Jacobs wrote:
Marthkus wrote:

Oh we have a misunderstanding. By "pump fake" I meant that as a way to feint an opponent at range with greater feint to make them lose their dex bonus to all attacks until the start of your next turn through an over reaction to the maneuver.

So did you say?
It's intended that you feint in melee range.
Greater feint does just remove the dex mod to AC. So if a rogue feints the target with greater feint, his fighter buddy can hit that target without that target having its dex mod to AC.

Feint works for melee attacks, not ranged attacks. Nothing in the wording of Greater Feint mentions ranged attacks, so it still only helps you with melee attacks.

Likewise, Feint only affects attacks you make against the feinted creature—YOU tricked him, not everyone. Greater Feint makes no mention of "all creatures treat him as flat-footed" or the like, so it works the same as a normal feint. ALL Greater Feint does is extend the duration of the feint maneuver. For you, the one who made that maneuver.

Beyond that, and beyond my interpretation, I suppose you'll need to take the question over to the rules forum.

Thanks. I know it is not an official ruling, but I was unclear on the raw. So I wanted to know the way you ran it.

Grand Lodge

Sooo.. then, when the gunslinger uses Startling Shot (Or possibly in the future the Swashbucklers Superior Feint) is only giving you the bonus of them being flat footed.


Hey James,

Happy New Years.

Any New Years Resolutions you would like to share?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I don't know if it's appropriate to ask this, but are you familiar with Fantasy Flight's setting, Midnight? What's your opinion on it? I feel like it needs more love.


Mythic JMD031 wrote:

James Jacobs hates Tortoises, you heard it here first.

James, if you were offered a part in a movie what would the part be?

1. But does he like tortoiseshells? Ailurophiles want to know!

2. OOhhh! +1! And when does production start?

Grand Lodge

James Jacobs wrote:
Marthkus wrote:

Oh we have a misunderstanding. By "pump fake" I meant that as a way to feint an opponent at range with greater feint to make them lose their dex bonus to all attacks until the start of your next turn through an over reaction to the maneuver.

So did you say?
It's intended that you feint in melee range.
Greater feint does just remove the dex mod to AC. So if a rogue feints the target with greater feint, his fighter buddy can hit that target without that target having its dex mod to AC.

Feint works for melee attacks, not ranged attacks. Nothing in the wording of Greater Feint mentions ranged attacks, so it still only helps you with melee attacks.

Likewise, Feint only affects attacks you make against the feinted creature—YOU tricked him, not everyone. Greater Feint makes no mention of "all creatures treat him as flat-footed" or the like, so it works the same as a normal feint. ALL Greater Feint does is extend the duration of the feint maneuver. For you, the one who made that maneuver.

Beyond that, and beyond my interpretation, I suppose you'll need to take the question over to the rules forum.

Quote:


At 3rd level, an archer can choose one of the following combat maneuvers or actions: disarm, feint, or sunder. He can perform this action with a bow against any target within 30 feet, with a –4 penalty to his CMB. Every four levels beyond 3rd, he may choose an additional trick shot to learn. These maneuvers use up arrows as normal

As per this reading of it not mentioning that when a fighter with this ability, The fighter may make a feint attempt with his bow at -4 within 30, but only gets their Dex Denied on a melee attack.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

What is your point on the creeping steampunk invasion in Golarion?

Could you stop and thwart that invasion please?

Perhaps for Steampunk fans make an extra world or alternate timeline?


Hayato Ken, IANJJ, but do you mean that it is getting more steampunk'd by including things like Numeria? Seems like simply leaving out the parts of Golarion you do not like seems simpler than denying those parts to everyone who might like them?

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I believe he is refering to things in the new companion suppliment Magic marketplace (Has clockwork limbs and the like in it)


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Kevin Mack got it right.
Those things in addition to some other similar things, gunslingers, alchemists etc which in my eyes slightly shift the feeling of Golarion and the campaign.
I also view this in regard to PFS.

Numeria for itself is very cool as far as i know it.

Personaly i like the Wizardry series if you happen to know that.
There are scifi and fantasy themes combined in a very appealing way, but none of the elements themselves are really overpowered or remarkably stronger than others (as far as i know).

There are some design decisions which i don´t really understand lately.
The so-called steampunk section slowly winning over Golarion is one of them.

Like there are new 8 alchemy discoveries listed in a certain blog entry, but no rogue talent.


Right, but in the Mana Wastes (the other place where technology has thrived). It is still easier to say that you will not be including all the options from all the player companions, rather than hope that Paizo does not develop options that ze does not approve of.

EDIT: Missed your reply because I did not refresh the screen :)

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
blackbloodtroll wrote:
Do Entomanothropes exist in Golarion?

A quick search on google reveals no hits for that word other than associations with D&D. So... no. They're product identity of Wizards of the Coast.

We do have humanoids who change into arthropods, like the aranea or the jorugumo, but they're not "were-insects" and that's not really a category of monster I'm interested in exploring.

What about Weresquid, or Wereoctopus?


Hi James! I was hoping you could answer some questions on the air elemental. I am playing a wizard with the advance familiar feat and use a small air elemental.

According to the RAW, the whirlwind ability states:

'Creatures one or more size categories smaller than the whirlwind might take damage when caught in the whirlwind (generally damage equal to the monster's slam attack for a creature of its size) and may be lifted into the air.'

The RAW states 'whirlwind' size and not 'air elemental' size. With the definition of the whirlwind size being:

'The whirlwind is always 5 feet wide at its base, but its height and width at the top vary from creature to creature (minimum 10 feet high). A whirlwind's width at its peak is always equal to half of its height. The creature controls the exact height, but it must be at least 10 feet high.'

It is my understanding that a small elemental can adjust it's whirlwind height between 10-20' (I read that online but can you clarify the rule on that as well). At 20' height it would have width of 10', which my DM argued made it "large". With the whirlwind size being large meant that it could pick up medium and smaller creatures.

I don't agree with him on account of all other D&D editions this CR1 creature has only ever been able to pick up tiny creatures. Seems a bit overpowered for a CR1 creature to have the ability to pick up a medium creature, when it had always taken a large air elemental to be able to do this before.

So is his definition of it being a large creature, due to having a radius of 10', wrong? Or was did the RAW have a typo and it should have said 'air elemental' size instead of 'whirlwind' size? Or am I wrong and the small air elemental was designed to be able to pick up medium sized creatures with it's whirlwind ability?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Drock11 wrote:
If the deities that are older are more powerful is their power a direct or indirect result of their age? By that I mean do the Golarion gods get more powerful just do to the fact they are older and their age supernaturally imparts some type of power to them or is it just an indirect result of those gods having more time to gather knowledge and power by other means that the younger ones haven't had?

Generally, the older a deity gets, the more powerful it gets. But that's not always the case.

In any event... since we don't have rules for deities nor do we have plans to do rules for them, it's kinda impossible to nail down exact relative power levels for them... and kinda pointless from a mortal viewpoint (I include all of us here on Earth reading and writing about Golarion as mortals, of course!).

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Espy Kismet wrote:
Sooo.. then, when the gunslinger uses Startling Shot (Or possibly in the future the Swashbucklers Superior Feint) is only giving you the bonus of them being flat footed.

Good question...

...for the rules team!

But yes, I would say exactly that. Ranged attacks have always been more difficult to link to sneak attacks, which is unfortunate since that makes a sniper a really kinda difficult class to pull off in Pathfinder.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

John Kretzer wrote:

Hey James,

Happy New Years.

Any New Years Resolutions you would like to share?

Thanks!

I didn't make any resolutions this year, since I was asleep last night when it happened.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
I don't know if it's appropriate to ask this, but are you familiar with Fantasy Flight's setting, Midnight? What's your opinion on it? I feel like it needs more love.

I bought the book when it came out many many years go, flipped through it, liked how it looked, but as of yet still haven't read it. It's certainly a compelling and interesting idea for a setting though!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Hayato Ken wrote:

What is your point on the creeping steampunk invasion in Golarion?

Could you stop and thwart that invasion please?

Perhaps for Steampunk fans make an extra world or alternate timeline?

ummmmm... huh?

Are you talking about the latest release of "Wardens of the Reborn Forge" and the upcoming Iron Gods AP? Because those are hardly "creeping steampunk invasions." They've been in Golarion from the start, and there's been a LOT of call for us to do more with them, so we are.

I've wanted to do a Numeria AP, in fact, from day 1.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Hayato Ken wrote:

Kevin Mack got it right.

Those things in addition to some other similar things, gunslingers, alchemists etc which in my eyes slightly shift the feeling of Golarion and the campaign.
I also view this in regard to PFS.

Numeria for itself is very cool as far as i know it.

Personaly i like the Wizardry series if you happen to know that.
There are scifi and fantasy themes combined in a very appealing way, but none of the elements themselves are really overpowered or remarkably stronger than others (as far as i know).

There are some design decisions which i don´t really understand lately.
The so-called steampunk section slowly winning over Golarion is one of them.

Like there are new 8 alchemy discoveries listed in a certain blog entry, but no rogue talent.

Ah; you should have been more clear in your question then.

We put things into our books often because of a perceved desire for them from our readers, and for things that aren't strictly "Eurocentric" like knights on horses or fire-breathing dragons, we tend to test the waters in smaller ways, putting things in here and there in small doses to see how fans react.

We've had a mostly quite positive reaction to the inclusion of guns, technological items, and the like before, and folks have been asking for more about Alkenstar for many years.

I don't feel like "steampunk" is even CLOSE to taking over Golarion... but then again, I'm certainly not opposed to it and as such I wouldn't be likely to jump to that conclusion.

Not everything will appeal to every one... so it's kinda our job to TRY to appeal to everyone some of the time, but not all of the time.

In any event, if you feel that there's a particular line of our products that are going TOO steampunk, your best bet is to post in those product lines... and do so calmly and reasonably without trying to be mean. ;-)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

blackbloodtroll wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
blackbloodtroll wrote:
Do Entomanothropes exist in Golarion?

A quick search on google reveals no hits for that word other than associations with D&D. So... no. They're product identity of Wizards of the Coast.

We do have humanoids who change into arthropods, like the aranea or the jorugumo, but they're not "were-insects" and that's not really a category of monster I'm interested in exploring.

What about Weresquid, or Wereoctopus?

Meh. Seems kinda silly.

A humanoid who can turn into a squid or octopus does not seem silly... but the name "were-" in front of it does.

Lycanthropy, in my opinion, is better when it's focused on vertebrates like reptiles, fish, birds, or mammals... and even better when it draws upon real-world mythologies/literature like werewolves or wererats or werejaguars or wearbears or the like.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Hayato Ken wrote:
Don´t get me wrong, i´m looking forward to that AP, which i described above too. I´m more refering to things coming up in Magic marketplace at the moment, combined with things that made appearance earlier, all outside of Numeria.

Those are largely outside of my direct control, if you're talking in particular about the Player Companion line, but I'll pass the word on that someone doesn't like the steampunk elements.

It's my understanding, of course, that we try to set things like that up so that they're relatively easy to leave out of your campaign; if one of the dozen or so magical marketplaces has steampunk themes to it... that's good for that book, since it helps to broaden the contents and keep things varied, and it's easy to just say in your game "that store doesn't exist."

As for PFS... it's the nature of a massive open campaign that you'll see things you don't like in play. My only suggestion there would be to seek out a home campaign instead?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

mrmayonnaise wrote:

Hi James! I was hoping you could answer some questions on the air elemental. I am playing a wizard with the advance familiar feat and use a small air elemental.

According to the RAW, the whirlwind ability states:

'Creatures one or more size categories smaller than the whirlwind might take damage when caught in the whirlwind (generally damage equal to the monster's slam attack for a creature of its size) and may be lifted into the air.'

The RAW states 'whirlwind' size and not 'air elemental' size. With the definition of the whirlwind size being:

'The whirlwind is always 5 feet wide at its base, but its height and width at the top vary from creature to creature (minimum 10 feet high). A whirlwind's width at its peak is always equal to half of its height. The creature controls the exact height, but it must be at least 10 feet high.'

It is my understanding that a small elemental can adjust it's whirlwind height between 10-20' (I read that online but can you clarify the rule on that as well). At 20' height it would have width of 10', which my DM argued made it "large". With the whirlwind size being large meant that it could pick up medium and smaller creatures.

I don't agree with him on account of all other D&D editions this CR1 creature has only ever been able to pick up tiny creatures. Seems a bit overpowered for a CR1 creature to have the ability to pick up a medium creature, when it had always taken a large air elemental to be able to do this before.

So is his definition of it being a large creature, due to having a radius of 10', wrong? Or was did the RAW have a typo and it should have said 'air elemental' size instead of 'whirlwind' size? Or am I wrong and the small air elemental was designed to be able to pick up medium sized creatures with it's whirlwind ability?

An air elemental doesn't change its size when it becomes a whirlwind, so its stats don't change as a result.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Hayato Ken wrote:

Kevin Mack got it right.

Those things in addition to some other similar things, gunslingers, alchemists etc which in my eyes slightly shift the feeling of Golarion and the campaign.
I also view this in regard to PFS.

Numeria for itself is very cool as far as i know it.

Personaly i like the Wizardry series if you happen to know that.
There are scifi and fantasy themes combined in a very appealing way, but none of the elements themselves are really overpowered or remarkably stronger than others (as far as i know).

There are some design decisions which i don´t really understand lately.
The so-called steampunk section slowly winning over Golarion is one of them.

Like there are new 8 alchemy discoveries listed in a certain blog entry, but no rogue talent.

Ah; you should have been more clear in your question then.

We put things into our books often because of a perceved desire for them from our readers, and for things that aren't strictly "Eurocentric" like knights on horses or fire-breathing dragons, we tend to test the waters in smaller ways, putting things in here and there in small doses to see how fans react.

We've had a mostly quite positive reaction to the inclusion of guns, technological items, and the like before, and folks have been asking for more about Alkenstar for many years.

I don't feel like "steampunk" is even CLOSE to taking over Golarion... but then again, I'm certainly not opposed to it and as such I wouldn't be likely to jump to that conclusion.

Not everything will appeal to every one... so it's kinda our job to TRY to appeal to everyone some of the time, but not all of the time.

In any event, if you feel that there's a particular line of our products that are going TOO steampunk, your best bet is to post in those product lines... and do so calmly and reasonably without trying to be mean. ;-)

Thanks, i can live with that answer.

I´m looking forward to the Iron gods AP myself actually.
Of course i´m always trying to be friendly, only sometimes it´s hard to predict what sets off americans and what not, because the "eurocentric" perception of such things seems to differ^^

The Exchange

I have a rules question, a world question, and a design question!

1) rule question: is it possible to enter stealth at mid combat? If say I'm a rouge, I just sneak attacked someone, and now I walk around a corner, enter stealth and sneak into the room again - if I win my stealth roll, do my opponent's know I'm there? can I sneak attack? further, if I have "hide in plain sight", can I attack and then immediately enter stealth?

2) World question: A certain line from "The Midnight Isles" caught my attention: "The city of Colyphyr is too big for anyone who can't teleport at will to comprehend" (I'm paraphrasing here). That made me think - since demons CAN teleport at will, why do they even bother building cities? cities are a product of who convenient it is for humans to place many things close to each other, so that they will be able to exchange goods and services easily. However, demons can sort of just build anything they want wherever they want (doing so even befits their chaotic nature quite well) - so I guess I'm asking two things. One, why do demons bother with cities? Two, are there "cities" in the abyss that are really just a collection of structures scattered around a huge area, that demons can easily teleport to and from?

3) Design question: In "The Midnight Isles",

Spoiler:

the PC's visit a total of 3 islands. The first is a jungle island, the second is the "capital" island where there's Nocticula's city and sit of power... and then the 3rd island is a jungle again. Given that Nocticula's realm has so many different kinds of islands on it, why were two very similar ones chose for the only adventure that happens there? (I assume if there's ever another adventure in the midnight isles it will be a LONG time before we see it). Wouldn't it be better to showcase how varied the realm is (and avoid repetition at the same time)? If I want to replace the first island with another one, which other island would you recommend?


Mr Jacobs,

I was wanting some clarity on the passion ability for the half-succubus in your Demons Revisited, namely:

1) What kind of action is this? I mean this in two ways, what it literally is (a simple hug, kiss, doin the nasty, etc), and what kind of action in combat this is (standard, full round, etc)

2) What does the half-succubus get out of this, other than bestowing the negative lvl? The full succubus gets to implant a suggestion and make a thrall out of the poor dude she's layin it to, but the half-succubus doesn't seem to get anything, really.

Also thanks for yet another fantastic supplement, really great work.


What is the biggest single thing regarding either the setting or the rules you've changed your mind about since the Pathfinder RPG first came out?


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

You have stated here that Baba Yaga and Mestama don't have any connection to each other, but I was wondering if Mestama and Gyronna have any relationship or rivalry other than what most demon lords normally have for each other? Although witches and Hags aren't technically mutually inclusive things they seem to have many similar aspects.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Lord Snow wrote:

I have a rules question, a world question, and a design question!

1) rule question: is it possible to enter stealth at mid combat? If say I'm a rouge, I just sneak attacked someone, and now I walk around a corner, enter stealth and sneak into the room again - if I win my stealth roll, do my opponent's know I'm there? can I sneak attack? further, if I have "hide in plain sight", can I attack and then immediately enter stealth?

2) World question: A certain line from "The Midnight Isles" caught my attention: "The city of Colyphyr is too big for anyone who can't teleport at will to comprehend" (I'm paraphrasing here). That made me think - since demons CAN teleport at will, why do they even bother building cities? cities are a product of who convenient it is for humans to place many things close to each other, so that they will be able to exchange goods and services easily. However, demons can sort of just build anything they want wherever they want (doing so even befits their chaotic nature quite well) - so I guess I'm asking two things. One, why do demons bother with cities? Two, are there "cities" in the abyss that are really just a collection of structures scattered around a huge area, that demons can easily teleport to and from?

3) Design question: In "The Midnight Isles",

Spoiler:
the PC's visit a total of 3 islands. The first is a jungle island, the second is the "capital" island where there's Nocticula's city and sit of power... and then the 3rd island is a jungle again. Given that Nocticula's realm has so many different kinds of islands on it, why were two very similar ones chose for the only adventure that happens there? (I assume if there's ever another adventure in the midnight isles it will be a LONG time before we see it). Wouldn't it be better to showcase how varied the realm is (and avoid repetition at the same time)? If I want to replace the first island with another one, which other island would you recommend?

1) Yes, it is. If you have "hide in plain sight" you don't need to enter concealment (aka leave the room) to do so.

2) Demons don't build those big cities. The Abyss or a demon lord or deity builds them, mostly as shows of power or simply as decorations. They're also built as both lures to give explorers a false sense of security and familiarity, and also as legitimate trade hubs or gathering places.

3)

Spoiler:
Because of some parallel design between Greg and I, and because I had to make that first island a jungle island to squeeze in a fight with the shadows as illustrated on the cover, and because the majority of her isles are jungle covered, I suppose. If the adventure had really been about exploring the islands rather than exploring specific sites IN the islands (like the mines or the city... the first island is really not much more than a stepping stone and really hardly counts as a significant part of the adventure overall), I would have varied the islands more... but that was beyond the scope of the adventure itself. If you want to replace the first island simply to showcase a different terrain, I wouldn't replace the island at all; I'd just change the terrain to whatever you wanted. Easy!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Brennon Osiris wrote:

Mr Jacobs,

I was wanting some clarity on the passion ability for the half-succubus in your Demons Revisited, namely:

1) What kind of action is this? I mean this in two ways, what it literally is (a simple hug, kiss, doin the nasty, etc), and what kind of action in combat this is (standard, full round, etc)

2) What does the half-succubus get out of this, other than bestowing the negative lvl? The full succubus gets to implant a suggestion and make a thrall out of the poor dude she's layin it to, but the half-succubus doesn't seem to get anything, really.

Also thanks for yet another fantastic supplement, really great work.

1) It can be any act of passion, from a kiss or a hug to sex of any sort. As for what kind of action it is... depends on the type of act itself. A hug is basically just a grapple check, while a kiss would be, I suppose, a touch attack. Both are basically standard actions in this case. More complex acts would take multiple rounds, and aren't in-combat options.

2) She gets nothing other than granting a negative level. She's not as bad-ass as a full succubus after all; she doesn't get ALL those perks.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

dunelord3001 wrote:
What is the biggest single thing regarding either the setting or the rules you've changed your mind about since the Pathfinder RPG first came out?

That today I'm more interested in building new content for Golarion than building on the content of intellectual properties of other companies. I'd rather write about Cyth-V'sug than I would about Orcus, for example.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Drock11 wrote:
You have stated here that Baba Yaga and Mestama don't have any connection to each other, but I was wondering if Mestama and Gyronna have any relationship or rivalry other than what most demon lords normally have for each other? Although witches and Hags aren't technically mutually inclusive things they seem to have many similar aspects.

Gyronna isn't a demon lord, first of all. They DO poach on each other's areas of concern a bit, and they do indeed squabble, but it's not an all out war. Their religions are unlikely to get along all that well. Gyronna's cult is pretty limited to just the River Kingdoms, though, so as long as Mestama's cult stays out of there, things should be fine.


1) Happy New Year!

2) How are you today?

3) Are you satisfied with your diet?

4) Rate this insanity: Druid/Hunter/Ranger hybrid with Synthesis Summoner; Druid/Hunter/Ranger fusing/merging with their Animal Companion.

Liberty's Edge

Forgive me if it's already been asked...

I'm a huge Jade Regent fan. I love the classic "regain the throne" storyline and how all things tie together. That being said...

Why is Jade Regent skipped over for accessories? I see AP's both before and after Jade Regent that have gotten "pawns" and miniature sets but alas, Jade Regent seems to be looked over.

-Vaz


James Jacobs wrote:
xavier c wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
xavier c wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
xavier c wrote:

I was reading the Alushinyrra gazetteer in The Wrath of the Righteous(The Midnight Isles) and was surprised by the sheer size of the city.So do most god and demigod planar Realms have planar cities and Metropolis in them.

And are most god and demigod planar Realms the size of continents or larger

Many gods and demigods have large cities under their control, but Alushinyyra is particularly large, mostly because it's one of the few cities on the Abyss that is open and welcoming (sort of!) to visitors and trade.

Most divine realms are about the size of a continent... but some have planet-sized realms... and some even larger. Very few have a realm smaller than a continent.

Are there any other cities or Towns in the Midnight Isles?
Yes. Many. On average one per isle... with larger isles having multiple cities. They're all much smaller than Alushinyrra though, and much more unwelcoming of PCs.

Can a mythic character have a planar Realm?

Depending on the campaign your GM is running, you don't need to be mythic to own your own planar realm. It certainly helps, though. There are no rules that currently allow a PC to gain powers tied to planar realms though—at this point... owning a planar realm would function kind of like owning a plot of land... only the plot of land is really big.

Does a demigod level character have to be an Empyreal lord to have a planar Realm on Elysium or heaven or Nirvana

40,051 to 40,100 of 77,492 << first < prev | 797 | 798 | 799 | 800 | 801 | 802 | 803 | 804 | 805 | 806 | 807 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.