>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

37,251 to 37,300 of 78,156 << first < prev | 741 | 742 | 743 | 744 | 745 | 746 | 747 | 748 | 749 | 750 | 751 | next > last >>
Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
Quick question: I just got my copy of Sword of Valor, and I noticed something about Shax. It depicts Shax with the head of a stork, and says so in the text, but I distinctly remember the Book of the Damned 2 describing him as having a dove's head. Was this because of miscommunication, or is it a retcon? Either way, Shax is wonderfully scary!

It's a retcon.

When I described Shax in Book of the Damned 2, I was pretty much using him EXACTLY as he was depicted and shown in Green Ronin's Book of Fiends. When I was statting him up in Pathfinder #74, though, I realized that was, technically, a breech of the OGL. We can use all of Shax's statistics from the Book of Fiends, but the artwork is NOT open content, nor is the flavor text, which is the only two places he's described as having a dove's head.

So in order to bring Shax in line with the OGL and to honor Green Ronin's decision to make their flavor text for him not open content, I changed Shax's head into a stork's head. Why a stork? Because that's what the real-world mythological Shax's head was.

Ah. Cool! Now I must go look up this mythological Shax (That's one reason why I love you guys at Paizo so much. Integrating real-world mythology in a way Wizards never has is infinite flavors of awesomesausages!)!


James Jacobs wrote:
Voyd211 wrote:
Have you read any of the optimization guides?
Nope.

Any particular reason for this?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Could a mythic character with Divine Source and the proper alignment have a Paladin dedicated to them?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Squeakmaan wrote:
Could a mythic character with Divine Source and the proper alignment have a Paladin dedicated to them?

If yes, could a mythic Paladin with Divine Source be dedicated to himself?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Dante Majiko wrote:
Squeakmaan wrote:
Could a mythic character with Divine Source and the proper alignment have a Paladin dedicated to them?
If yes, could a mythic Paladin with Divine Source be dedicated to himself?

If that's not the ultimate definition of Chaotic, I don't know what is. So you'd better get Beyond Morality as well.

Sczarni

Okay, finished with the dragon questions, time for some elf questions!

1. Have there been any named NPCs from the elves of Sovyrian published yet? If so, where might I find them (they're aren't any in Distant Worlds)?

2. More specifically, do you know who the ruler of the Sovyrian elves is?

3. Would Sovyrian elves have the same naming conventions as Golarion elves? Would they have the same appearance, or would they look different due to the different environment on Castrovel?

4. Would it be fair to say that the only people in Kyonin who know what and where Sovyrian is are the queen and whoever the official keepers of the gate are?

Sovereign Court Contributor

James Jacobs wrote:
Dustin Ashe wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Nope; the amount of worshipers a deity has does not influence that deity's power.

Mind blowing! I always assumed it did. The more worshippers, the greater your power. Kind of like feeding off faith.

This leads to another question. Why do deities grant spells to their clerics then? Why do they look after their worshippers at all? Wouldn't we all be a bit like insects to them? What are the perks for a deity of having worshippers, a clergy, and in many cases an organized church?

In the Forgotten Realms, this is exactly how faith worked. The more worshipers you had there, the more powerful a deity was. I believe that holds true for all D&D settings... at least up to 4th edition as far as I know.

We decided NOT to do this for Pathfinder, because the idea of a super powerful forgotten deity is too cool

Deities grant spells to clerics as rewards for faith. And to empower their followers with magical support and tools they need to get things done. We're not like insects to the gods, but more like children who never grow up.

In any event, since we do not yet have rules for how deities work and have no plans to do those rules, we don't have a need to set in stone what the benefits are for a deity with worshipers. That also helps to keep them mysterious and unknowable, which is also valuable—the more we know about how deities work in the game, the less they feel like, well, deities.

This is kinda true of Greco-Roman gods - that the number of worshippers was irrelevant to their power. Hercules and Hermes/Mercury were very popular but not particularly powerful as gods. Virtually no-one worshipped Styx, the goddess of binding oaths except via oaths themselves, but she was more or equally powerful than/as Zeus (though this in part because of a promise Zeus made to her); the same is true of the Moirai, whose cult was mostly low-status, but they personify destiny (and birth/death) itself. (The Moirai are suspiciously similar to Pharasma).

Lantern Lodge

Jeff Erwin wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Dustin Ashe wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Nope; the amount of worshipers a deity has does not influence that deity's power.

Mind blowing! I always assumed it did. The more worshippers, the greater your power. Kind of like feeding off faith.

This leads to another question. Why do deities grant spells to their clerics then? Why do they look after their worshippers at all? Wouldn't we all be a bit like insects to them? What are the perks for a deity of having worshippers, a clergy, and in many cases an organized church?

In the Forgotten Realms, this is exactly how faith worked. The more worshipers you had there, the more powerful a deity was. I believe that holds true for all D&D settings... at least up to 4th edition as far as I know.

We decided NOT to do this for Pathfinder, because the idea of a super powerful forgotten deity is too cool

Deities grant spells to clerics as rewards for faith. And to empower their followers with magical support and tools they need to get things done. We're not like insects to the gods, but more like children who never grow up.

In any event, since we do not yet have rules for how deities work and have no plans to do those rules, we don't have a need to set in stone what the benefits are for a deity with worshipers. That also helps to keep them mysterious and unknowable, which is also valuable—the more we know about how deities work in the game, the less they feel like, well, deities.

This is kinda true of Greco-Roman gods - that the number of worshippers was irrelevant to their power. Hercules and Hermes/Mercury were very popular but not particularly powerful as gods. Virtually no-one worshipped Styx, the goddess of binding oaths except via oaths themselves, but she was more or equally powerful than/as Zeus (though this in part because of a promise Zeus made to her); the same is true of the Moirai, whose cult was mostly low-status, but they personify destiny (and birth/death) itself. (The Moirai are...

I think there might be two things to mention here from a perspective of why the gods care about the mortals, especially those who don't fit into the psychology James mentioned of "Mortals are like children who never grow up." as there are gods who think far less of mortals and still desire worshippers.

Firstly, that all the gods of Golarion have some vested interest in the fate of Golarion, they want things to go their own way, turn out how they plan. This could be as direct as Lamashtu's mutation people or as Subtle as Gozreh's desire to keep the wilds from changing or being overtaken by civilization (I don't know enough about Gozreh, but I'm assuming that's true?). And seeing that direct godly intervention is likely to draw too much attention from other gods or going to break "The rules" whatever they may be, it's instead done by drawing mortals into your faith and having them push your agenda.

The second reason being that when a mortal dies their soul travels to the realm of their chosen deity. This brings in sort of an indirect more worshippers=more power because the more souls that inhabit your realm the more you can make use of, be it in war, construction or whatever other needs a god may have in their realm beyond.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

James:

Whisky.

Yes/no, and if yes, which ones.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Andru Watkins wrote:
Hey James. Just wanted to say I like what you and the Paizo team do. Thanks!

YAY! Thank you very much! Always good to hear that folks are delighted in Pathfinder!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Kairos Dawnfury wrote:

What was your favorite BC zone?

Did you ever get a netherdrake?

I also wanted to comment that I love how you guys made Golarion Humanocentric. I like other races, but the weirder races get, the less inclined I am to play them....

Hmmmm... my favorite zone was probably the realm to the southeast where all the fel demons were... can't remember the name though since I've not been there forever.

Yes; that was a LONG grind to get that Netherdrake! Whew!

All this WoW talk's making me want to play again. Well done!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Voyd211 wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Voyd211 wrote:
Have you read any of the optimization guides?
Nope.
Any particular reason for this?

I'd rather make my own characters, first of all.

Second of all, the idea of "optimizing characters" kinda feels wrong to me. The idea that there's a "best choice" for a class is nonsense to me, because the way I MUCH prefer to build a character is to come up with a concept... often a non-optimal concept... and then build that character the way I want it. For example, I have a way of the wicked bard who worships Nocticula, and she's picking all her spells based on which ones are the kinkiest and the ones that are the most about tricking folks. She's about to become 7th level and has no plans of ever learning glitterdust, which more or less makes her unoptomized, I'd wager. I've got another bard who specializes in bolstering ONLY her self, sort of akin to how an alchemist's magic is self-oriented, and since bards are intended to be entire party boosters, THAT'S unoptomized as well.

I guess because I see the act of optimizing for a class or a party role as far too constrictive when it comes to building personalities.

One of the things that I dislike the most about MMOs is that by the end of the game, every character ends up looking the same because folks end up discovering the BEST combo of armor, weapons, and skills for each class. I don't want my character to look the same as the rest. And optimization leads to that kind of unwelcome homogeneity in my opinion.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Squeakmaan wrote:
Could a mythic character with Divine Source and the proper alignment have a Paladin dedicated to them?

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: Since paladins don't HAVE to worship a deity, and since they don't use domains anyway... a Paladin can worship anyone he wants to as long as his worship is sincere and real (if it's not, it's not a lawful act!). That means a paladin can worship anyone, regardless of whether or not that person can actually grant spells or has divine source.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Dante Majiko wrote:
Squeakmaan wrote:
Could a mythic character with Divine Source and the proper alignment have a Paladin dedicated to them?
If yes, could a mythic Paladin with Divine Source be dedicated to himself?

I suppose... As long as he worshiped himself in a legitimate way. That's certainly lawful... but I'm not sure how GOOD it is to be so self-important. In my games, I'd probably not allow this, since that level of arrogance and egotism doesn't feel good-aligned to me.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Would you say that sometimes the game DEMANDS optimization just to compete with other characters? Classes like monks and prestige classes like Mystic Theurge, for example, are often criticized as being weak compared to a moderately well-played wizard, cleric or druid. A reason that a lot of characters look the same there is because it's the only way the character can still remain relevant in combat up to the high levels. I know that's the reason I look for optimization advice is because of my fear that a character I'm playing will basically be useless compared with other players who don't HAVE to optimize because they're playing an overpowered class?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Trinite wrote:

Okay, finished with the dragon questions, time for some elf questions!

1. Have there been any named NPCs from the elves of Sovyrian published yet? If so, where might I find them (they're aren't any in Distant Worlds)?

2. More specifically, do you know who the ruler of the Sovyrian elves is?

3. Would Sovyrian elves have the same naming conventions as Golarion elves? Would they have the same appearance, or would they look different due to the different environment on Castrovel?

4. Would it be fair to say that the only people in Kyonin who know what and where Sovyrian is are the queen and whoever the official keepers of the gate are?

1) Not that we've yet revealed.

2) Unrevealed.

3) Yes. They're the same race and would look the same, but clothing styles would probably be different. But keep in mind that over the centuries, an elf shifts to match the environment she lives in. A Sovyrian elf who lives in forests on Sovyrian would look pretty similar to a Golarion elf that lives in Golarion forests. But the elf that lives in the snow would look quite different.

4) Nope. That knowledge is pretty well known among the elves of Kyonin; it's more or less one of their worst-kept secrets. If indeed it's really a secret at all, and not just something that they don't care if other folks know but just never really bothered to widely publicize it.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Gorbacz wrote:

James:

Whisky.

Yes/no, and if yes, which ones.

Nope. Not a big enough drinker to know how to answer that.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
Would you say that sometimes the game DEMANDS optimization just to compete with other characters? Classes like monks and prestige classes like Mystic Theurge, for example, are often criticized as being weak compared to a moderately well-played wizard, cleric or druid. A reason that a lot of characters look the same there is because it's the only way the character can still remain relevant in combat up to the high levels. I know that's the reason I look for optimization advice is because of my fear that a character I'm playing will basically be useless compared with other players who don't HAVE to optimize because they're playing an overpowered class?

I think that once a player gets in their head that the game's about "competing" with other players' characters... that player is fundamentally playing a different game than I want to play.

Furthermore... the idea that ANY character can and should be optimized to be as good as any other character is fundamentally broken. Not all classes should be equally good at damage, or defense, or diplomacy, or healing, or ranged combat, etc. And optimization seems often to forget that.

The Mystic Theurge is NOT MEANT to be a competitor to the monk, for example.


I think Zousha point was the Monk and Mystic Theurge don't compete well with anything else, not just each others.

Lantern Lodge

James Jacobs wrote:
stuff about Mhar Massif and Himcho

That is very helpful. Thanks!!

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Belle Mythix wrote:

I think Zousha point was the Monk and Mystic Theurge don't compete well with anything else, not just each others.

That's exactly what my point was. I've seen many people complaining about how weak the monk is or how taking the Mystic Theurge PrC is a "trap."

And when I say competition, I don't mean actually competing. I agree that when it comes to that mindset it stops being the same game. What I'm referring to is for some classes' tendency to become so powerful with the right combination of spells, feats, Prestige Classes, etc. that they can basically do whatever another class does but better (for example, a cleric who uses their spells and feats to become a better melee combatant than a fighter or paladin), or a wizard that can immediately down the battlefield with a few spells, leading them to easily steamroll any encounter by themselves and leave the players of a monk or fighter character or something on the sidelines twiddling their thumbs. It's not so much about "competing" so much as "contributing," about not feeling useless when playing with a Batman Wizard or CoDzilla. The point of playing a monk, fighter, or paladin is generally to get in and beat the crap out of something with a sword. If your teammate pulverizes the enemy before you can even get to them, you probably will feel cheated of an opportunity for your own character to shine. I know that's how I felt when I played a paladin who was a melee fighter, but tended to get pulverized by actual melee combatants, and we were way more dependent on our snarky druid and kobold werewolf sorcerer for damage. The only times I ever really got the spotlight was when the DM would let me make pithy speeches about justice and honor, peppered with Lord of the Rings quotes in an Ahnold Schwarzenegger accent.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Belle Mythix wrote:

I think Zousha point was the Monk and Mystic Theurge don't compete well with anything else, not just each others.

And my point is that the idea of ANY class competing with the other is damaging to the game.


If you had to pick an animal to represent each alignment, what would you pick?


Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
If your teammate pulverizes the enemy before you can even get to them, you probably will feel cheated of an opportunity for your own character to shine. I know that's how I felt when I played a paladin who was a melee fighter, but tended to get pulverized by actual melee combatants, and we were way more dependent on our snarky druid and kobold werewolf sorcerer for damage. The only times I ever really got the spotlight was when the DM would let me make pithy speeches about justice and honor, peppered with Lord of the Rings quotes in an Ahnold Schwarzenegger accent.

Maybe you need to speak to your DM about setting up encounters differently. As someone who pretty much always plays melee, I always have a couple enemies I get to beat the crap out of while the wizard takes out another batch.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Kairos Dawnfury wrote:
If you had to pick an animal to represent each alignment, what would you pick?

Wow. Weird. I'm not sure I could do this, to be honest, since animals, in my mind, pretty much embody neutrality. That said... I CAN do it if I associate animals with similarly aligned deities in Golarion...

LG lion
NG lizard
CG butterfly
LN ant
N whippoorwill
CN wasp
LE hound
NE fly
CE jackal

Sovereign Court

James, since I just realized you were a fellow Nelf hunter, a few more WoW questions if I may

1)Which spec did you prefer? BM? SV? MM?

2)Gonna assume you had a Raptor. Which one?

3) Gun, crossbow, or longbow?

4) Fave weapon you managed to acquire?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Something I've wondered about DR. Does it apply to a creature's entirety or just it's flesh? For example if you attacked its eyes or the inside of its mouth.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Rysky wrote:
Something I've wondered about DR. Does it apply to a creature's entirety or just it's flesh? For example if you attacked its eyes or the inside of its mouth.

Applies to the whole body.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Cylyria wrote:

James, since I just realized you were a fellow Nelf hunter, a few more WoW questions if I may

1)Which spec did you prefer? BM? SV? MM?

2)Gonna assume you had a Raptor. Which one?

3) Gun, crossbow, or longbow?

4) Fave weapon you managed to acquire?

1) MM. Although I've dabbled at times in the others, and particularly like how BM lets me keep a devilsaur pet.

2) Ha! Yeah. In fact, the idea that I could play a character who had a raptor pet is the ONLY reason I started playing the game. As soon as I hit 10th level, I walked all the way from Darkshore down to the barrens, which at the time was the closest level-appropriate place to get a raptor. I ended up choosing a bright red one, and still have him today. His name is Guttugger!

3) Longbow. Crossbow if needed. I hate using guns; they're noisy and smelly and un-elfy.

4) Mandokir's Sting!

Dark Archive

Since WoW Raptors are at least *kinda* intelligent (wear feathers and claws and hide decorations, for instance), would you want to play a Raptor PC, if WoW introduced them as a playable race?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Something I've wondered about DR. Does it apply to a creature's entirety or just it's flesh? For example if you attacked its eyes or the inside of its mouth.
Applies to the whole body.

Cool.

Dark Archive

Rysky wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Something I've wondered about DR. Does it apply to a creature's entirety or just it's flesh? For example if you attacked its eyes or the inside of its mouth.
Applies to the whole body.
Cool.

Although that could be a fun special rule for a particular monster, that has iron scales, but a vulnerable inner body, so that one can delay an action to attack when it opens it's mouth to bite or use a breath weapon, and therefore bypass it's DR.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Kairos Dawnfury wrote:
If you had to pick an animal to represent each alignment, what would you pick?

Wow. Weird. I'm not sure I could do this, to be honest, since animals, in my mind, pretty much embody neutrality. That said... I CAN do it if I associate animals with similarly aligned deities in Golarion...

LG lion
NG lizard
CG butterfly
LN ant
N whippoorwill
CN wasp
LE hound
NE fly
CE jackal

Oh oh going off of this what weapons would represent each alignment?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Set wrote:
Rysky wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Something I've wondered about DR. Does it apply to a creature's entirety or just it's flesh? For example if you attacked its eyes or the inside of its mouth.
Applies to the whole body.
Cool.

Although that could be a fun special rule for a particular monster, that has iron scales, but a vulnerable inner body, so that one can delay an action to attack when it opens it's mouth to bite or use a breath weapon, and therefore bypass it's DR.

True dat.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Set wrote:

Since WoW Raptors are at least *kinda* intelligent (wear feathers and claws and hide decorations, for instance), would you want to play a Raptor PC, if WoW introduced them as a playable race?

Early in Paizo's history, Mike McArtor ran a "NO HUMANS ALLOWED" game in which he basically let us use Savage Species to play anything we wanted. I played an awakened deinonychus rogue named Torak. He kicked ass! And since when he kicks, he uses gutting talons... POW!!!!

But if WoW introduced them as a playable race... I'd roll one up, but in the end I'd not play it much and go back to Shensen. I'm not super into my alts... even when I name them things like Malcanthet or Merisiel or Iggwilv.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Rysky wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Kairos Dawnfury wrote:
If you had to pick an animal to represent each alignment, what would you pick?

Wow. Weird. I'm not sure I could do this, to be honest, since animals, in my mind, pretty much embody neutrality. That said... I CAN do it if I associate animals with similarly aligned deities in Golarion...

LG lion
NG lizard
CG butterfly
LN ant
N whippoorwill
CN wasp
LE hound
NE fly
CE jackal

Oh oh going off of this what weapons would represent each alignment?

Using my same religious angle...

LG longsword
NG scimitar
CG starknife
LN crossbow
N dagger
CN rapier
LE mace
NE scythe
CE greataxe

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Would the answers be any differant if you were using them to represent the planes?


1. What is it about the Mythos that you like so much?

2. What exactly is so horrific about the Mythos? How're Mythos things different from every other monster?

3. How come when most people talk about horror here they're referring to Mythos things and not devils stealing the souls of innocents?

4. What's the age range of Academae students?

5. Under what conditions can a good-aligned wizard cast a spell with the evil descriptor and not suffer alignment repercussions? Planar binding-type spells in particular.

6. In descending order, which nations in Avistan creep you out the most and why?

7. In the Advanced Class Guide will there be any wizard-other hybrid classes?

8. If I want to write a story where someone from present day Earth goes to ~4708+ Golarion then time travel'll have to be involved, correct?

9. Would wish be enough to create a treasure ship?

Me: Where do legendary spellcasters (Jatembe, Baba Yaga, etc.) get the money they need for their expensive equipment?

You: The Great Beyond is bigger than you think. AKA: Could be anywhere.

10. I think what I meant to ask was 'how'. Did they get their money the same way adventurers do? Did they simply get the materials directly.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Hypothetically, if Calistria were to slay Nocticula would Succubi fall under her influence?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

What's Shelyn's view on her followers that are inspired or otherwise create art of evil creatures? Succubi being a prime example.


Kairos Dawnfury wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
If your teammate pulverizes the enemy before you can even get to them, you probably will feel cheated of an opportunity for your own character to shine. I know that's how I felt when I played a paladin who was a melee fighter, but tended to get pulverized by actual melee combatants, and we were way more dependent on our snarky druid and kobold werewolf sorcerer for damage. The only times I ever really got the spotlight was when the DM would let me make pithy speeches about justice and honor, peppered with Lord of the Rings quotes in an Ahnold Schwarzenegger accent.
Maybe you need to speak to your DM about setting up encounters differently. As someone who pretty much always plays melee, I always have a couple enemies I get to beat the crap out of while the wizard takes out another batch.

I would say it depends on: levels, enemies, the DM/GM and whether the 15 minutes adventuring day is on or off.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Rysky wrote:
Would the answers be any differant if you were using them to represent the planes?

Yeah, in that I probably wouldn't answer them, since the planes are too varied to pick any one animal or weapon to symbolize them.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Rysky wrote:
Hypothetically, if Calistria were to slay Nocticula would Succubi fall under her influence?

Not unless Calistria were to fall from grace and become chaotic evil.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Rysky wrote:
What's Shelyn's view on her followers that are inspired or otherwise create art of evil creatures? Succubi being a prime example.

You can produce art of evil without being evil. Shelyn doesn't mind if her followers are inspired by something evil to create beautiful artwork. There is often great beauty in evil... but beauty in and of itself isn't intrinsically good or evil.

Now... art that's intended to lure folks into being evil is a different story, and is Not Approved Of.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
What's Shelyn's view on her followers that are inspired or otherwise create art of evil creatures? Succubi being a prime example.

You can produce art of evil without being evil. Shelyn doesn't mind if her followers are inspired by something evil to create beautiful artwork. There is often great beauty in evil... but beauty in and of itself isn't intrinsically good or evil.

Now... art that's intended to lure folks into being evil is a different story, and is Not Approved Of.

hehe the power of art, never underestimate it.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

AlgaeNymph wrote:

1. What is it about the Mythos that you like so much?

2. What exactly is so horrific about the Mythos? How're Mythos things different from every other monster?

3. How come when most people talk about horror here they're referring to Mythos things and not devils stealing the souls of innocents?

4. What's the age range of Academae students?

5. Under what conditions can a good-aligned wizard cast a spell with the evil descriptor and not suffer alignment repercussions? Planar binding-type spells in particular.

6. In descending order, which nations in Avistan creep you out the most and why?

7. In the Advanced Class Guide will there be any wizard-other hybrid classes?

8. If I want to write a story where someone from present day Earth goes to ~4708+ Golarion then time travel'll have to be involved, correct?

9. Would wish be enough to create a treasure ship?

Me: Where do legendary spellcasters (Jatembe, Baba Yaga, etc.) get the money they need for their expensive equipment?

You: The Great Beyond is bigger than you think. AKA: Could be anywhere.

10. I think what I meant to ask was 'how'. Did they get their money the same way adventurers do? Did they simply get the materials directly.

1) The fact that it's an extremely detailed mythology that's not based in tired old tropes like vampires and werewolves, the fact that it's been expanded upon by so many talented authors, and the ideas of "cosmicism" it embodies. Also, I love Lovecraft's writing style.

2) The core underlying bit that makes them horrifying is that they represent the true insignificance of humanity. They're different from other monsters in that they are not tied to the human condition, but are fundamentally about the INhuman. Of course... there are also countless exceptions. The Dunwich Horror, The Thing on the Doorstep, and Shadow Over Innsmouth are, for example, about the horror of the loss of humanity and the scarier side of sex, while something like The Colour Out of Space is about fears of disease and decay.

3) I wouldn't say that's the case at all. There's plenty of examples of "devils stealing souls" in pretty much all horror fiction.

4) Depends on the race, but I'd say the average is around average starting age for a wizard PC.

5) The thing that causes alignment shifting in this case is a combination of frequency (how many times in how rapid of a succession the wizard casts the spell) and end result (what ends up happening as a direct result of the spell).

6) None of them really creep me out—note, I interpret "creeped out" as "not something I'm comfortable associating myself with or writing about." There are no regions in the Inner Sea that I'm disturbed by and find morally objectionable to run games in, adventure in, or write about.

7) You'll have to wait and see. I'm not ready to reveal anything about that yet. Don't wanna steal the playtest's thunder.

8) If you want to keep your story consistent with the events of "Rasputin Must Die!" then yes.

9) Depends on the GM.

10) They get their money in all the ways you can get money. Adventuring. Stealing. Saving up. Borrowing. Counterfeiting. Earning. And more. Depends on the person.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Tar-Baphon, the world's greatest counterfeiter! Grand enemy of Abadar :3


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Do devils and demons have the same intrinsic hatred of each other in Golarion as they did in the "Blood War" aspect of D&D, or do they simply disagree on policy like Democrats and Republicans.... wait... on second thought that might be a bad example....


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Set wrote:

Since WoW Raptors are at least *kinda* intelligent (wear feathers and claws and hide decorations, for instance), would you want to play a Raptor PC, if WoW introduced them as a playable race?

Early in Paizo's history, Mike McArtor ran a "NO HUMANS ALLOWED" game in which he basically let us use Savage Species to play anything we wanted. I played an awakened deinonychus rogue named Torak. He kicked ass! And since when he kicks, he uses gutting talons... POW!!!!

But if WoW introduced them as a playable race... I'd roll one up, but in the end I'd not play it much and go back to Shensen. I'm not super into my alts... even when I name them things like Malcanthet or Merisiel or Iggwilv.

I've used Merisiel and Malcanthet myself in Eq2, actually. Glad i wasn't th eonly one!

Dark Archive

Rathendar wrote:
I've used Merisiel and Malcanthet myself in Eq2, actually. Glad i wasn't th eonly one!

Pathfinder names are fun in MMOs. My gold-armored 'Golden Goblin' in WoW was Licktoad (cause Ripnugget was already taken, and neither Riptoad or Licknugget seemed wise...), and my Dranei (basically a Tiefling) Paladin was named Signifer.

37,251 to 37,300 of 78,156 << first < prev | 741 | 742 | 743 | 744 | 745 | 746 | 747 | 748 | 749 | 750 | 751 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.