>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

32,651 to 32,700 of 77,267 << first < prev | 649 | 650 | 651 | 652 | 653 | 654 | 655 | 656 | 657 | 658 | 659 | next > last >>

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

are you more of a coffee person or soda person, i'm a coffee person myself, too much corn syrup in soda.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Chris Mortika wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:


My favorite in Pathfinder remains the tiefling. I don't have a least favorite.

I have a question about one of them ...

Most of my time at the Pathfinder gaming table these days is through Pathfinder Society. I have the opportunity to play a Wayang.

I have no idea how.

I mean, they're "miniature magical humanoids" who've been in Tian Xai since the Age of Darkness, where they migrated from the Plane of Shadow. That's all I know. What do females look like? Do they all have enormous bulbous heads? (They are a race that cannot kiss and hug at the same time.) Do females have those ridiculous moustaches, too? How do they survive childbirth? How old do they live?

In general, how do wayangs get along with fetchlings? Or anybody else? What gods do they worship?

At this point, I'm planning to play her sort of like a bleachling gnome, with the plane of shadow standing in for the First World.

We haven't released much information about wayangs; ther'es more info in Advanced Race Guide, along with some info about them in Dragon Empires Gazetteer and the Dragon Empires Primer, but like the nagaji and samsaran and a few other new concepts, they're not a topic we've done much work on yet. Nor do we have plans to do so anytime soon.

What that means is that, beyond what you can learn by reading through those three products, what you do with them is in large part up to you.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Karse wrote:

Frost Bomb

Benefit: When the alchemist creates a bomb, he can choose to have it inflict cold damage. Creatures that take a direct hit from a frost bomb are staggered on their next turn unless they succeed on a Fortitude save.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If a creature is immune to cold.... it shouldnt need to roll a saving throw to see if got staggered? Its like throwing something that didnt even make a dent.

If a creature is immune to cold, it can't be staggered by a frost bomb.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

andreww wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:

Using a spell to get a higher level spell is, in a word, lame.

This is a good example of two similar rules elements that might work fine on their own but when combined together are greater than the sum of their parts.

so I think that the spell paragon surge basically needs to be erattaed. I'll be sending Jason an email suggesting this right after I post this message, in fact.

It has been over six months since this post with no errata that I can find. Can we assume that Jason is OK with how it works.

Just to add to the original query this not only allows half elven sorcerers to access all arcane spells (and Humans with the Racial Heritage feat), it also allows Half Elven Oracles to access all Cleric spells and, via Improved Eldritch Heritage (Arcane) all Wizard spells as well for the cost of a single level 3 spell slot.

It also allows prepared casters to become semi spontaneous ones by picking Preferred Spell, assuming they have Heighten.

Now yes you can simply change it in your home game but that's a pretty lame answer. It also doesn't address PFS play at all.

I'm not going to put any words into Jason's mouth at all. You can't assume anything about how Jason feels. That said... Jason's ruling or lack thereof should NOT stop your game from happening. Your GM (or you, if you're the GM) is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT as far as making these kinds of decisions for your game than anyone else, including folks at Paizo, are.

And as far as PFS play... there's a lot of strange and unusual rules elements in the game, and if you are worried about them function exactly right in a PFS type environment, just avoid those rules. Make something else or choose a different rules option instead of the one that causes trouble. PFS is NOT the same as a home game where a GM can comfortably make rules adjudications, unfortunately, and that creates limitations that players should work with rather than against.


Mr. James Jacobs,

If you were to some kind of adventure or adventures featuring the return of the other Runelords would you have them all awaking and implementing their plans at once, would they wake one by one, or would it be in groups? Such as the non mythic one waking and doing their thing and then the mythic ones getting up, yawning, and getting to work taking back what they view as theirs?

I recall you said Xanderghul and and Sorshen were mythic. Who was the other mythic runelord?


If My mind is not bad..... I think/remember that in 3.5 rules Composite Longbow could only be made/reach a max Str of +4.

In Pathfinder can I buy/make a composite longbow with more possible Str? +5, +6, and so on?


Karse wrote:

If My mind is not bad..... I think/remember that in 3.5 rules Composite Longbow could only be made/reach a max Str of +4.

In Pathfinder can I buy/make a composite longbow with more possible Str? +5, +6, and so on?

Not to swipe JJ, but the Jungle Giant in Bestiary 3 has a +8 Composite bow.


Odraude wrote:
Karse wrote:

If My mind is not bad..... I think/remember that in 3.5 rules Composite Longbow could only be made/reach a max Str of +4.

In Pathfinder can I buy/make a composite longbow with more possible Str? +5, +6, and so on?

Not to swipe JJ, but the Jungle Giant in Bestiary 3 has a +8 Composite bow.

Might have something to do with weapon size. (small composite longbow, medium composite longbow, large composite longbow, etc...)

@ JJ, is E3 addictive?


Are there any truly sapient constructs, aside from the homonculus and wyrwood?


James,

If I recall correctly, once you've said that rather than adding new monsters to the standard summon monster I-IX lists, you would prefer to create individual spells for additional monsters.

Currently I am trying to create spells for summoning angels, specifically the monadic and the movanic devas. Do you have any advice on how to figure out how powerful a spell has to be to summon a creature?

I was thinking:
Since the astral deva a CR 14 angel requires a 9th level spell (summon monster IX), perhaps the monadic deva would require a summon monster VIII(CR 12; comparable to the barbed devil) and the monvanic deva (CR 10; comparable to the bone devil) a summon monster VII.

Is there another factor worth considering that I might be forgetting?

Thanks.


James I need an assist here:

Even though they do not officially exist, are Divine Ranks or variations thereof in Golarion?

Specifically, would a 16th level PC even be able to harm a full Demon Lord, without any aid?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

The NPC wrote:

Mr. James Jacobs,

If you were to some kind of adventure or adventures featuring the return of the other Runelords would you have them all awaking and implementing their plans at once, would they wake one by one, or would it be in groups? Such as the non mythic one waking and doing their thing and then the mythic ones getting up, yawning, and getting to work taking back what they view as theirs?

I recall you said Xanderghul and and Sorshen were mythic. Who was the other mythic runelord?

We've already done one Adventure Path where one runelord wakes up. I'm not so sure we or our customers have the patience or interest in watching that basic plot play through six more times, so it would make sense to me for a second Runelord-Themed Adventure Path to feature multiple runelords.

Alaznist is the third mythic runelord, although whether or not she had actual mythic tiers or had templates that increased her well above CR 20 is not yet revealed. Sorshen and Xanderghul DID both have mythic tiers, although what ones and how many isn't something I am ready to yet reveal.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Karse wrote:

If My mind is not bad..... I think/remember that in 3.5 rules Composite Longbow could only be made/reach a max Str of +4.

In Pathfinder can I buy/make a composite longbow with more possible Str? +5, +6, and so on?

Yup; there's no limit tho how high you can make the bonus.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Belle Mythix wrote:

@ JJ, is E3 addictive?

Not to me.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Voyd211 wrote:
Are there any truly sapient constructs, aside from the homonculus and wyrwood?

Yes. There are sapient flesh golems in the world (at least 2 at last count), and things like soulbound dolls count. Others on the way.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Ral' Yareth wrote:

James,

If I recall correctly, once you've said that rather than adding new monsters to the standard summon monster I-IX lists, you would prefer to create individual spells for additional monsters.

Currently I am trying to create spells for summoning angels, specifically the monadic and the movanic devas. Do you have any advice on how to figure out how powerful a spell has to be to summon a creature?

I was thinking:
Since the astral deva a CR 14 angel requires a 9th level spell (summon monster IX), perhaps the monadic deva would require a summon monster VIII(CR 12; comparable to the barbed devil) and the monvanic deva (CR 10; comparable to the bone devil) a summon monster VII.

Is there another factor worth considering that I might be forgetting?

Thanks.

If you want them to function like the summon monster spells, compare CRs. For a CR 14 monster, 9th level is about right... but keep in mind that some monsters might have easily abusable elements in them that would make the use of their CR as a measuring stick tricky. Check out their spell-like abilities and powers, and do what you can to match them to existing spells. If summoning a monster grants you "early access" to a spell by way of the summoned monster's spell-like abilities or powers, you should bump up the level of the spell needed to summon that monster.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Monkeygod wrote:

James I need an assist here:

Even though they do not officially exist, are Divine Ranks or variations thereof in Golarion?

Specifically, would a 16th level PC even be able to harm a full Demon Lord, without any aid?

A demon lord is CR 26 to CR 30. A 16th level PC (aka a CR 15 creature) should be able to affect a demon lord without aid, in the same way a 3rd level PC (aka a CR 2 creature) should be able to affect a CR 13 to CR 17 creature. The resulting fight will be very one-sided though, barring miraculous luck or unluck.

Divine Rank has pretty much nothing to do with it.


Are kangaroos the T-Rex of the animal kingdom?


Question about firearms and black powder cannons. In a world where the tech level is high enough to have firearms everywhere, and therefore 10% of the costs listed, do the black powder firearms get affected as well? If not, would it be unbalancing to have them cost less?

Lantern Lodge

Hey JJ,

Can I use the Blood Money spell with the Fabricate spell to make Mithral Full Plate?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Kilrex wrote:
Are kangaroos the T-Rex of the animal kingdom?

No. They're the kangaroos.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Psion-Psycho wrote:

Hey JJ,

Can I use the Blood Money spell with the Fabricate spell to make Mithral Full Plate?

Nope.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Odraude wrote:
Question about firearms and black powder cannons. In a world where the tech level is high enough to have firearms everywhere, and therefore 10% of the costs listed, do the black powder firearms get affected as well? If not, would it be unbalancing to have them cost less?

Yup; they're firearms so they are affected.


James Jacobs wrote:
Odraude wrote:
Question about firearms and black powder cannons. In a world where the tech level is high enough to have firearms everywhere, and therefore 10% of the costs listed, do the black powder firearms get affected as well? If not, would it be unbalancing to have them cost less?
Yup; they're firearms so they are affected.

Awesome, thanks!


James if a creature with 50 frost resistance absorbs all the damage dealt by a ''frost bomb discovery'' from the alchemist, does he still get affected by the staggering effect of the bomb?

Frost Bomb:

Benefit: When the alchemist creates a bomb, he can choose to have it inflict cold damage. Creatures that take a DIRECT HIT from a frost bomb are staggered on their next turn unless they succeed on a Fortitude save.


Are there angels, archdevils, demon lords, etc. that grant domains?

I'm specifically looking for the Dragon subdomain, for an inquisitor. The core gods seem to lack that.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Ral' Yareth wrote:

Hello James!

As an experienced DM, would you classify the following acts as evil, neutral or good actions?

1)Binding a good outsider, to ask (bargain)for a good deed.

2)Binding neutral and/or evil creatures, to bargain for a good deed.

Basically I am wondering how viable is a LG wizard, who uses calling and summoning spells.

1) Depends on how you bargain and reward the outsider.

2) Same.

If you're a lawful good wizard and you use planar binding to try to get help, don't use the spell's options to force or cajole or torment the outsider, basically. Offer it a reward, and make diplomacy checks to ask nicely, and if the outsider refuses, let it go and try a different one.

Then again if you're a LG wizard who constantly summons and binds, Demons, making a habit of casting chaotic and evil spells. (as the spell does take on the subtypes of what you summon, I would imagine that a fair number of GM's would say your aligment is going to start slipping, at least towards true neutral.

If you keep lying down with pigs, don't be surprised that you wake up dirty.


So Rahadoum has its whole antipathy towards clerics, paladins, and apparently oracles. How do they feel about druids?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
TerminalArtiste wrote:
So Rahadoum has its whole antipathy towards clerics, paladins, and apparently oracles. How do they feel about druids?

If I understand it correctly, if it smacks the least bit of divine, they want nothing to do with it. Correct? I imagine the Rahadoumi tend to be expansive in their ban rather t han specific.


Voyd211 wrote:

Are there angels, archdevils, demon lords, etc. that grant domains?

I'm specifically looking for the Dragon subdomain, for an inquisitor. The core gods seem to lack that.

Apsu and Dahak, I think, grant Dragon. I know Apsu does and Dahak is evil anyway.


James, what are you most looking forward to in the Mythic release (aside from releasing it!)


Is there a comprehensive list of outsider lords and gods by domain, or the other way round? The wiki is anything but.

Lantern Lodge

James Jacobs wrote:
Psion-Psycho wrote:

Hey JJ,

Can I use the Blood Money spell with the Fabricate spell to make Mithral Full Plate?

Nope.

Thanks, figured as much. A player of mine kept saying u could but it did not sound right to me.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Jose Suarez 916 wrote:

James if a creature with 50 frost resistance absorbs all the damage dealt by a ''frost bomb discovery'' from the alchemist, does he still get affected by the staggering effect of the bomb?

Frost Bomb:

Benefit: When the alchemist creates a bomb, he can choose to have it inflict cold damage. Creatures that take a DIRECT HIT from a frost bomb are staggered on their next turn unless they succeed on a Fortitude save.

Weird... thought I answered this.

If you don't take damage from a frost bomb, regardless of how you avoid that damage, you can't be affected by the bomb's staggering effect.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Voyd211 wrote:

Are there angels, archdevils, demon lords, etc. that grant domains?

I'm specifically looking for the Dragon subdomain, for an inquisitor. The core gods seem to lack that.

Yes; all demon lords, archdevils, empyreal lords, and the like grant domains.

Inquisitors don't need to worship deities, though, and have a bit more freedom on choosing their domains.

For your specific character, though, I'd suggest worshiping Apsu or Dahak, depending on if you're good or evil.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

TerminalArtiste wrote:
So Rahadoum has its whole antipathy towards clerics, paladins, and apparently oracles. How do they feel about druids?

Suspicious and antagonistic. ALL divine casters are held with concern in Rahadoum.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Pendin Fust wrote:
James, what are you most looking forward to in the Mythic release (aside from releasing it!)

Wrath of the Righteous.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Voyd211 wrote:
Is there a comprehensive list of outsider lords and gods by domain, or the other way round? The wiki is anything but.

Nope; not yet. The closest thing you'll see are the inside covers of books like the various Books of the Damned, Gods & Magic, and Chronicle of the Righteous.


Are there any demigod kami?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Voyd211 wrote:
Are there any demigod kami?

Yes; they're the kami lords. We haven't said much about them at all yet.


Your Tyrannasaurness.

Has anyone ever given you a compliment in good faith and intention that still made you feel skeevy, in that 'your approval fills me with shame' sort of way?

If so, what was it?

And by proxy and extension, what is the most shamelessly fanboyish thing you've ever done in game that you are willing to publicly admit to?


Will there be any information about the kami lords?

I'm considering a Plant or Animal inquisitor, and that just seems perfect.


Aside from half-dragon, things you wouldn't let your players play as?


I'm prepping The Godsmouth Heresy at the moment for a group of 2 2nd level PCs; a cleric and either a fighter or sorcorer.
Considering that the adventure seems to revolve around the PCs helping out the church of Pharasma, would it be problematic if the cleric worships Naderi? I know she has connections to Urgathoa but does that equate to emnity with Pharasma? Or just mistrust between the two priesthoods?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

TheAntiElite wrote:

Your Tyrannasaurness.

Has anyone ever given you a compliment in good faith and intention that still made you feel skeevy, in that 'your approval fills me with shame' sort of way?

If so, what was it?

And by proxy and extension, what is the most shamelessly fanboyish thing you've ever done in game that you are willing to publicly admit to?

Yes, but it's not something that gets repeated in public.

Probably the most shamelessly fanboyish thing I've done in a game was to make a demon lord out of a combination between a ninja and Freddy Kruger. The latest incarnation of that demon lord (see Inner Sea Bestiary) dials back a lot of the ninja and Freddy stuff he had originally but it's still there if you look hard enough.

I guess statting up Hastur as a Battlesystem unit was pretty fanboyish too. Or statting up the alien from Alien as a demon. I've done plenty.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Voyd211 wrote:

Will there be any information about the kami lords?

I'm considering a Plant or Animal inquisitor, and that just seems perfect.

Not anytime remotely soon, no.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Belle Mythix wrote:

Aside from half-dragon, things you wouldn't let your players play as?

Plenty. I generally limit my players to the core races plus a small handful of non-core races like aasimar, tiefling, tengu, catfolk, and a few more.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Dragon Knight wrote:

I'm prepping The Godsmouth Heresy at the moment for a group of 2 2nd level PCs; a cleric and either a fighter or sorcorer.

Considering that the adventure seems to revolve around the PCs helping out the church of Pharasma, would it be problematic if the cleric worships Naderi? I know she has connections to Urgathoa but does that equate to emnity with Pharasma? Or just mistrust between the two priesthoods?

Shouldn't be a problem at all. Naderi isn't a goddess of undeath, after all.


A barbarian cannot enter a new rage if fatigued.

If a barbarian is already raging and becomes fatigued, does he drop out of rage?

If so, then does the fact that dropping out of rage normally causes fatigue mean that the barbarian moves from fatigued to exhausted?


Am I to assume that the inquisitor is proficient with EVERY bow and crossbow? Because there are other kinds that came out after the APG, like the launching crossbow.

32,651 to 32,700 of 77,267 << first < prev | 649 | 650 | 651 | 652 | 653 | 654 | 655 | 656 | 657 | 658 | 659 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.