>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

29,901 to 29,950 of 77,272 << first < prev | 594 | 595 | 596 | 597 | 598 | 599 | 600 | 601 | 602 | 603 | 604 | next > last >>

Is it possible for liches, raveners, graveknights, etc. to be good?

Mainly because in the campaign I'm writing, the mission-giver for good characters is an LG kobold lich... granted, you would never know he's a lich by looking at him, he's kept his body in very good shape. He's also the final boss for evil players, as a Lv30 wizard. (reason for missions: He's out of the country for various reasons)

Meanwhile, one of the evil players' bosses is an LN strix graveknight rogue. He's the kingdom's chief of law enforcement, and is Lv19.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I haven't read anywhere where it may have been mentioned so I was wondering given their similar endgames do the Four Horsemen and their followers ever work with Rovagug and his followers or are they both of the "this is OUR existence to destroy thank you very much" mentality?

Dark Archive

How goes your Way of the Wicked camaign James?

Any highlights to share?

Contributor

This talk of the King in Yellow reminds me of my favorite SCP entry.


The Guardian Beyond Beyond wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
The Guardian Beyond Beyond wrote:
Can all of the mightiest NPCs such as Geb, Nex, Jatembe, Baba Yaga, The Whispering Tyrant etc. be considered Mythic characters?
Absolutely.
Will we see stats for them in the Mythic Adventures book?

Just so you know, Grandmother's Mythic stats will be included in The Witch Queen's Revenge. (Grandmother is what you call Baba Yaga if you're trying to avoid pissing her off. I'm a Com2.)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

The NPC wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
The NPC wrote:

Mr. James Jacobs,

Where in Magnimar is the ring of stones that matches the Leng Device in Pinnacle of Avarice?

Where does it say that there is such a ring of stones?
In the RotRl anniversary edition page 354 upper right hand paragraph.

Crap.

That's an error/typo. The "much larger ring of stone" is the Cyphergate. It should be referencing Riddleport, not Magnimar. Thanks for bringing that to my attention; I've flagged it for correction if we reprint the book.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Quandary wrote:

What can you share about the Black Sovereign (the artist formerly known as Kevoth-Kul) and his dealings with Nirmathas, which is across Lake Encarthan from Numeria? Does or did Nirmathas have Kellid people living in it, or are the humans mainly of Taldan settler descent?

Could you clarify the culture of Kellid people? Some of it seems simply very primitive or stone-age, or something like tribes of Eurasian steppe... And then around Brevoy/Mendev/Iobaria we have all these Slavic names. Is this a sub-group of Kellid culture, possibly influenced by Ulfen/Taldans? Why the difference in naming conventions, and where does that come from (in game)? It is hard to tell sometimes, especially with the tendency for Common to be just... very common, and language/culture distinctions sometimes not brought to the fore.

I've also noticed names and references that seem especially Finnish (in Azurestone, Galt), as well as some Germanic seeming ones (can't remember off-hand, but in a formerly Taldan nation in Avistan). Are these supposed to represent distinct ethnicities in Golarion, or what? Are there more human ethnicities in the Inner Sea region? It doesn't seem like there really is many, compared to say, the real-world, so is there some 'minor' ethnicities (with their own languages?) that may be detailed in the future?

I have nothing significant to reveal about the Black Sovereign yet, but I can reveal he has very little (if ANY) interactions at all with Nirmathas; there's two countries between them, after all.

Kellids were the indiginous people of central Avistan; before the Armies of Exploration from Taldor came along, Kellids pretty much lived from the Realm of the Mammoth Lords to Brevoy (east-west) and on down south of Lake Enkarthan. Taldor pushed them back and scattered them and in some cases cut them off from the rest of their people. As a result, the Kellids have lost a lot of their culture and/or have adapted/adjusted over the last 3 to 4 thousand years.

The Kellids themselves don't really map to any one real-world culture. They have touches of Germanic and Pict and Slavic and more in them, but aren't really one specific "real-world ethnicity." In fact, their primary inspiration was the writings of Robert E. Howard—the Kellids are most based on the Cimmerian ethnicity from Howard's writings... but even then it's not a perfect match.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Voyd211 wrote:

Is it possible for liches, raveners, graveknights, etc. to be good?

Mainly because in the campaign I'm writing, the mission-giver for good characters is an LG kobold lich... granted, you would never know he's a lich by looking at him, he's kept his body in very good shape. He's also the final boss for evil players, as a Lv30 wizard. (reason for missions: He's out of the country for various reasons)

Meanwhile, one of the evil players' bosses is an LN strix graveknight rogue. He's the kingdom's chief of law enforcement, and is Lv19.

It's possible, but it's very rare, to the point that if one were to say, "No, it's not possible," they'd mostly be right.

If it were to happen, I'd probably veto it unless the author doing so REALLY impressed me with their writing chops and skill at presenting such a unique character.

That goes out the window, of course, for home campaigns; you can do whatever you want to do in your games.

But for Golarion... my opinion is that undead are bad guys, and each one we publish that's not evil slowly erodes their status of bad guys. I'm not a fan of stories where undead are presented as anything but evil, with the rare exception (and 75% of the time, those exceptions are ghosts, the remaining 24.5% of the time they're vampires like the non-evil vampires from Near Dark or True Blood... NOT Twilight, which I would hold up as an example of what I'm trying to avoid.)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Rysky wrote:
I haven't read anywhere where it may have been mentioned so I was wondering given their similar endgames do the Four Horsemen and their followers ever work with Rovagug and his followers or are they both of the "this is OUR existence to destroy thank you very much" mentality?

They don't work together. Rovagug's "end game" does not stop ending things when mortal life is done. It includes the daemons.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

baron arem heshvaun wrote:

How goes your Way of the Wicked camaign James?

Any highlights to share?

It's still going; the next game should be tomorrow. We've managed to do a fair amount of disruption to the castle now—killed a good outsider in the chapel, scouted the whole place out, got one captain to duel and kill another captain, and made plans for our end game.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
I haven't read anywhere where it may have been mentioned so I was wondering given their similar endgames do the Four Horsemen and their followers ever work with Rovagug and his followers or are they both of the "this is OUR existence to destroy thank you very much" mentality?
They don't work together. Rovagug's "end game" does not stop ending things when mortal life is done. It includes the daemons.

Oh so the daemons only want to end all mortal life. Interesting... And once again thank you for your time and answers :3


Can you fix the rules for falling? They are outdated and foolishly simple. Fall time is not taken into account for high distances. A high drop is not life threatening to a high level character ever. I believe the cap on damage should be raised. Once maximum velocity is achieved, I believe there should be a variable fall rate depending on a flow chart for wind resistance. It doesn't have to become extremely complicated, but it can be more expansive than a 6 second or less drop from any distance at a 20d6 damage cap. Your thoughts?


Speaking of my setting, what do you think of a wendigo with two levels of antipaladin? My friend had a mission in mind where you head to a convent that's ceased contact. You go there and find out that the wendigo drove everyone there (a lot of them clerics) to the usual murderous madness.

Thing is, you can't kill this wendigo; you can only drive him off. The whole mission is like a horror movie: figuring out what the hell caused this mess.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Nezzarine Shadowmantle wrote:
Can you fix the rules for falling? They are outdated and foolishly simple. Fall time is not taken into account for high distances. A high drop is not life threatening to a high level character ever. I believe the cap on damage should be raised. Once maximum velocity is achieved, I believe there should be a variable fall rate depending on a flow chart for wind resistance. It doesn't have to become extremely complicated, but it can be more expansive than a 6 second or less drop from any distance at a 20d6 damage cap. Your thoughts?

I'm not James Jacobs, but I do have an opinion on this:

High-Level characters SHOULDN'T be threatened by falls. And falling shouldn't be a complicated affair. That being said, a little information on how far one falls in 6 seconds would be appreciated (I suppose I could just do math though....)


James Jacobs wrote:
Buri wrote:

Do you have any suggestions for an alternate universe setting where earth fall never happened? If anything I'm just looking for some broad strokes on what would have been likely to happen.

Aroden would probably still be around so Cheliax wouldn't have turned to diabolism. The worldwound wouldn't be there. Iomedae probably wouldn't be a goddess. I guess the single most thing that would change is the god of humanity being around but I'm unsure if that'd really change anything given their general noninterference in mortal affairs.

I don't. That Golarion would be 100% different than the one we have now. You'd have to build that world from scratch. Whether or not Aroden would even have been born is unknown; remember, Earthfall happened 10,000 years ago. A lot can change in that amount of time. It's longer than we've had history on Earht, for example.

If I were to do such a thing do you know if the community license would be sufficient for me to use Golarion and other IP elements? Should I do it I would be tempted to publish (online) articles about it understandably for free per the license.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Nezzarine Shadowmantle wrote:
Can you fix the rules for falling? They are outdated and foolishly simple. Fall time is not taken into account for high distances. A high drop is not life threatening to a high level character ever. I believe the cap on damage should be raised. Once maximum velocity is achieved, I believe there should be a variable fall rate depending on a flow chart for wind resistance. It doesn't have to become extremely complicated, but it can be more expansive than a 6 second or less drop from any distance at a 20d6 damage cap. Your thoughts?

Not without making them unnecessarily complicated, and not without including them as part of a new edition.

The falling rules are fine, in my opinion. The fact that falling isn't life-threatening to a high level character is part of the game's design—being stabbed with a sword is similarly not life threatening to a high level character, as is falling into lava or being stepped on by an elephant.

I've played in games where falling damage is much more lethal, and it's fundamentally NOT fun, because suddenly the game has one whole element that's unusually and unnecessarily more deadly than anything else. It's a HUGE disconnect to be a 17th level character who's fighting a Gargantuan red dragon and is holding their own, but then suddenly to get killed by a 30 foot fall.

AKA: If we "fix" the falling rules, we have to "fix" pretty much everything that does damage in the entire game to match that adjustment.

And since I don't think the falling rules are broken, then I don't see the need to make such a drastic, new-edition-level change to the game. House rules for falling damage are your best bet, but again... take care, because the "quest for realism" in this case and in my opinion is also a "quest for ending your game because the players aren't having fun."

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Voyd211 wrote:

Speaking of my setting, what do you think of a wendigo with two levels of antipaladin? My friend had a mission in mind where you head to a convent that's ceased contact. You go there and find out that the wendigo drove everyone there (a lot of them clerics) to the usual murderous madness.

Thing is, you can't kill this wendigo; you can only drive him off. The whole mission is like a horror movie: figuring out what the hell caused this mess.

Not all that much of a fan.

Wendigos are better, in my opinion, if they get more powerful simply by advancing in HD. They exist outside of society, and creatures that exist outside of society, in my opinion, shouldn't advance by class levels, which are themselves a product of society.

(And by "society" I don't mean human society. I mean any society.)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Buri wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Buri wrote:

Do you have any suggestions for an alternate universe setting where earth fall never happened? If anything I'm just looking for some broad strokes on what would have been likely to happen.

Aroden would probably still be around so Cheliax wouldn't have turned to diabolism. The worldwound wouldn't be there. Iomedae probably wouldn't be a goddess. I guess the single most thing that would change is the god of humanity being around but I'm unsure if that'd really change anything given their general noninterference in mortal affairs.

I don't. That Golarion would be 100% different than the one we have now. You'd have to build that world from scratch. Whether or not Aroden would even have been born is unknown; remember, Earthfall happened 10,000 years ago. A lot can change in that amount of time. It's longer than we've had history on Earht, for example.
If I were to do such a thing do you know if the community license would be sufficient for me to use Golarion and other IP elements? Should I do it I would be tempted to publish (online) articles about it understandably for free per the license.

Since the community use license lets you publish (but not ask for money) stuff that uses any of Golarion's stuff... it also lets you publish (but not ask for money) stuff that uses only a fraction of Golarion stuff.

But again... such a setting would be so fundamentally different—even the MAP would look different with no big Inner Sea—that I wonder what the point of having it be a "variant Golarion" would be in the first place. If you just make the setting your own and don't have it be a variant Golarion, then you don't need to use the Community Use stuff at all and can actually own/charge for your hard work if you want some day down the line.


James Jacobs wrote:
Voyd211 wrote:

Speaking of my setting, what do you think of a wendigo with two levels of antipaladin? My friend had a mission in mind where you head to a convent that's ceased contact. You go there and find out that the wendigo drove everyone there (a lot of them clerics) to the usual murderous madness.

Thing is, you can't kill this wendigo; you can only drive him off. The whole mission is like a horror movie: figuring out what the hell caused this mess.

Not all that much of a fan.

Wendigos are better, in my opinion, if they get more powerful simply by advancing in HD. They exist outside of society, and creatures that exist outside of society, in my opinion, shouldn't advance by class levels, which are themselves a product of society.

(And by "society" I don't mean human society. I mean any society.)

Interesting tidbit. And if used it brings up a question for me. I currently have level 13 characters who are going to enter an area where Otyugh make sense. But they are CR 4 and no templates fit well. Character levels were an option but did not sit well with me. How would you go about advancing them with just HD advancement I thought that was only a 3.5 rule?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Advancing a creature by improving its Hit Dice has been an option for advancing creatures from the start in Pathfinder. We do this all the time in our adventure paths. Rules and guidelines on how to do this appear on pages 295–296 of the Bestiary.


1) How do you prefer to be addressed in this thread: James, Jacobs, Mr. Jacobs, JJ, James Jacobs, other?

2) Do you ever get writer's block?

3) Do you have any tips on avoiding writer's block or, if it occurs, overcoming it?

4) Do you have a favorite word? What is it?

5) Are you excited about this thread hitting 600 pages?

6) Best thing about this thread?

7) Worst thing about this thread?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Daethor wrote:

1) How do you prefer to be addressed in this thread: James, Jacobs, Mr. Jacobs, JJ, James Jacobs, other?

2) Do you ever get writer's block?

3) Do you have any tips on avoiding writer's block or, if it occurs, overcoming it?

4) Do you have a favorite word? What is it?

5) Are you excited about this thread hitting 600 pages?

6) Best thing about this thread?

7) Worst thing about this thread?

1) James.

2) Yes.

3) Write something else. Even if you end up writing something else entirely, the act of writing is the best way I know to get things going. Alternatively, reading or watching movies or playing video games can get you inspired and serve as a muse as well.

4) Recrudescent.

5) Yup!

6) 600 pages!

7) It's not yet 666 pages!

Shadow Lodge

Who is the best Joker, in your opinion? Nicholson? Ledger? Hamill? Someone else?

Sovereign Court

With Rovagug begin called the 'rough beast', was any inspiration for him drawn from The Second Coming by William Butler Yeats?

TURNING and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

And is there a link with sphinxes?


James,

I have two issues that you might help me with:

1) Are advanced races (such as Aasimar or Tiefling) ok to play alongside standard races (such as Human or Dwarf)?

2) The Cassisian Angel as a familiar feels too powerful for a level 7 feat (specially since it gives you access to a 5th level cleric spell with no component cost). Is my perception skewed? Is there a reasoning to remove the Faerie Dragon from the list, but leave the Cassisian Angel?

Thank you. :)


James Jacobs wrote:
I have nothing significant to reveal about the Black Sovereign yet, but I can reveal he has very little (if ANY) interactions at all with Nirmathas; there's two countries between them, after all.

Thanks, I just saw that Nirmathas reference in the PathfinderWiki entry or the History of Numeria, it could be an error in the Wiki, or may have been published in one of the Campaign Settings (Nirmathas/Numeria have a certain resemblance of names, so it's understandable in either case).

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Nezzarine Shadowmantle wrote:
Can you fix the rules for falling? They are outdated and foolishly simple. Fall time is not taken into account for high distances. A high drop is not life threatening to a high level character ever. I believe the cap on damage should be raised. Once maximum velocity is achieved, I believe there should be a variable fall rate depending on a flow chart for wind resistance. It doesn't have to become extremely complicated, but it can be more expansive than a 6 second or less drop from any distance at a 20d6 damage cap. Your thoughts?

Not without making them unnecessarily complicated, and not without including them as part of a new edition.

The falling rules are fine, in my opinion. The fact that falling isn't life-threatening to a high level character is part of the game's design—being stabbed with a sword is similarly not life threatening to a high level character, as is falling into lava or being stepped on by an elephant.

I've played in games where falling damage is much more lethal, and it's fundamentally NOT fun, because suddenly the game has one whole element that's unusually and unnecessarily more deadly than anything else. It's a HUGE disconnect to be a 17th level character who's fighting a Gargantuan red dragon and is holding their own, but then suddenly to get killed by a 30 foot fall.

AKA: If we "fix" the falling rules, we have to "fix" pretty much everything that does damage in the entire game to match that adjustment.

And since I don't think the falling rules are broken, then I don't see the need to make such a drastic, new-edition-level change to the game. House rules for falling damage are your best bet, but again... take care, because the "quest for realism" in this case and in my opinion is also a "quest for ending your game because the players aren't having fun."

Dark Souls Blighttown flashbacks nggggggghhhh


James Jacobs wrote:
Voyd211 wrote:

Is it possible for liches, raveners, graveknights, etc. to be good?

Mainly because in the campaign I'm writing, the mission-giver for good characters is an LG kobold lich... granted, you would never know he's a lich by looking at him, he's kept his body in very good shape. He's also the final boss for evil players, as a Lv30 wizard. (reason for missions: He's out of the country for various reasons)

Meanwhile, one of the evil players' bosses is an LN strix graveknight rogue. He's the kingdom's chief of law enforcement, and is Lv19.

It's possible, but it's very rare, to the point that if one were to say, "No, it's not possible," they'd mostly be right.

If it were to happen, I'd probably veto it unless the author doing so REALLY impressed me with their writing chops and skill at presenting such a unique character.

That goes out the window, of course, for home campaigns; you can do whatever you want to do in your games.

But for Golarion... my opinion is that undead are bad guys, and each one we publish that's not evil slowly erodes their status of bad guys. I'm not a fan of stories where undead are presented as anything but evil, with the rare exception (and 75% of the time, those exceptions are ghosts, the remaining 24.5% of the time they're vampires like the non-evil vampires from Near Dark or True Blood... NOT Twilight, which I would hold up as an example of what I'm trying to avoid.)

So it would be something major for them to be non-evil. Such as an Elven Graveknight who became that way to prevent an Elfgate to fall into Evil Hands?


James Jacobs wrote:

1) James.

2) Yes.

3) Write something else. Even if you end up writing something else entirely, the act of writing is the best way I know to get things going. Alternatively, reading or watching movies or playing video games can get you inspired and serve as a muse as well.

4) Recrudescent.

5) Yup!

6) 600 pages!

7) It's not yet 666 pages!

Thanks for the tips, and I'm sure the worst thing about this thread will go away soon! :P

1) Do you have a favorite level range to write adventures for? If so, what is it and why?

2) Are there any beings (excluding deities) on Golarion that couldn't be adequately built with 20 class levels and 10 mythic tiers?

3) What do you think you'd be doing today if Paizo had not come out with the PFRPG?

4) What is your favorite possession, RPG related or otherwise?

5) Are you a fan of the Avatar: The Last Airbender TV show? Do you think one could use d20 to make a good RPG for it?


I think the Chronicle System would be better...

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Are there anything similar to the Draegloth (since I'm pretty sure it is not OGL) in Pathfinder or Golarion, what with Drow likin them some demons?

If not is there any more unique types of half fiends other than the Alu-demon and that one half nymph one?

Edit also who came up with the name Invidiaks for the shadow demons? I likes :3

The Exchange

Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Caladfel wrote:

James,

I have two issues that you might help me with:

1) Are advanced races (such as Aasimar or Tiefling) ok to play alongside standard races (such as Human or Dwarf)?

2) The Cassisian Angel as a familiar feels too powerful for a level 7 feat (specially since it gives you access to a 5th level cleric spell with no component cost). Is my perception skewed? Is there a reasoning to remove the Faerie Dragon from the list, but leave the Cassisian Angel?

Thank you. :)

You'll find that a lot of the Improved Familiars grant commune. Nearly every extraplanar (The Lyraken I know also grants commune)

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

You like Succubi and you like everything Mythos related... When can we see some more Hastur?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

What is the likelihood of seeing other planetouched races? I'm particularly interested in seeing a Pschopomp based one.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

You've played Dark Souls but I can't remember if you said you'd played Demon Souls so if not I highly recommend it just to play the Tower of Latria level, it's very lovecraft-y and I highly believe you would like it.

If you have played it what did you think of it?


James.

Surely someone have asked a couple of this before but

1) What do you think in a paizo AP for evil characters?

2) Waht do you think of an AP placed in the mwangi expanse?

3) What do you think of an AP (or just a couple of aventures) based on the colonization of arcadia?

4) What are your favorites arhetypes? and, lest say, your less favorites arhetypes published by paizo?

5) what do you think abut the martial/caster disparity at high levels?

6) IF someday there is a PF 2.0, would you support giving the fighter more out of combat options?


about this thread

7) what kind of question you like the most?

8) what kind of question you dislike the most?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Orthos wrote:
Who is the best Joker, in your opinion? Nicholson? Ledger? Hamill? Someone else?

Ledger.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

GeraintElberion wrote:
With Rovagug begin called the 'rough beast', was any inspiration for him drawn from The Second Coming by William Butler Yeats?

That's my favorite poem, pretty much. It absolutely helped inspire Rovagug, and is the exact reason he's called the Rough Beast.

No link to sphinxes though.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Caladfel wrote:

James,

I have two issues that you might help me with:

1) Are advanced races (such as Aasimar or Tiefling) ok to play alongside standard races (such as Human or Dwarf)?

2) The Cassisian Angel as a familiar feels too powerful for a level 7 feat (specially since it gives you access to a 5th level cleric spell with no component cost). Is my perception skewed? Is there a reasoning to remove the Faerie Dragon from the list, but leave the Cassisian Angel?

Thank you. :)

1) I think so. It depends on the race, the player, the GM, and the game.

2) Nope; several of the outsider familiars give you access to commune.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Nezzarine Shadowmantle wrote:
Can you fix the rules for falling? They are outdated and foolishly simple. Fall time is not taken into account for high distances. A high drop is not life threatening to a high level character ever. I believe the cap on damage should be raised. Once maximum velocity is achieved, I believe there should be a variable fall rate depending on a flow chart for wind resistance. It doesn't have to become extremely complicated, but it can be more expansive than a 6 second or less drop from any distance at a 20d6 damage cap. Your thoughts?

Not without making them unnecessarily complicated, and not without including them as part of a new edition.

The falling rules are fine, in my opinion. The fact that falling isn't life-threatening to a high level character is part of the game's design—being stabbed with a sword is similarly not life threatening to a high level character, as is falling into lava or being stepped on by an elephant.

I've played in games where falling damage is much more lethal, and it's fundamentally NOT fun, because suddenly the game has one whole element that's unusually and unnecessarily more deadly than anything else. It's a HUGE disconnect to be a 17th level character who's fighting a Gargantuan red dragon and is holding their own, but then suddenly to get killed by a 30 foot fall.

AKA: If we "fix" the falling rules, we have to "fix" pretty much everything that does damage in the entire game to match that adjustment.

And since I don't think the falling rules are broken, then I don't see the need to make such a drastic, new-edition-level change to the game. House rules for falling damage are your best bet, but again... take care, because the "quest for realism" in this case and in my opinion is also a "quest for ending your game because the players aren't having fun."

Dark Souls Blighttown flashbacks nggggggghhhh

HA!

Awesome.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Azaelas Fayth wrote:
So it would be something major for them to be non-evil. Such as an Elven Graveknight who became that way to prevent an Elfgate to fall into Evil Hands?

Not something major at all. Just something EXCEPTIONALLY well-written. It could be a minor thing.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Daethor wrote:

Thanks for the tips, and I'm sure the worst thing about this thread will go away soon! :P

1) Do you have a favorite level range to write adventures for? If so, what is it and why?

2) Are there any beings (excluding deities) on Golarion that couldn't be adequately built with 20 class levels and 10 mythic tiers?

3) What do you think you'd be doing today if Paizo had not come out with the PFRPG?

4) What is your favorite possession, RPG related or otherwise?

5) Are you a fan of the Avatar: The Last Airbender TV show? Do you think one could use d20 to make a good RPG for it?

1) Nope. I've written 1st level and 20th level adventures, and all sorts of stuff in-between.

2) Probably. Note that the vast majority of beings on Golarion aern't built with class levels or mythic tiers at all; they're built with Hit Dice.

3) Either A) Struggling as an independent game designer or a novelist with a day job I hate.
or B) Working at a new tiny game company I and a few other folks who also lost their jobs at Paizo got together to start up.

4) My cat, Shimmy. If you want a favorite non-living possession, I would probably say the original goblin painting from Burnt Offerings. Or maybe my dogslicer. Or one of my expensive Lovecraft books. Or perhaps my replica Tyrannosaurus tooth. Or maybe my iMac. Too many choices. I still vote for Shimmy.

5) I've seen one episode and liked it but that's all.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Rysky wrote:

Are there anything similar to the Draegloth (since I'm pretty sure it is not OGL) in Pathfinder or Golarion, what with Drow likin them some demons?

If not is there any more unique types of half fiends other than the Alu-demon and that one half nymph one?

Edit also who came up with the name Invidiaks for the shadow demons? I likes :3

There are certainly half-fiend drow. And there are certainly fleshwarps. There might be something between them we've not yet detailed.

Yes. There's the cambion (which we'll stat up in an upcoming Pathfinder), which is akin to the alu-demon. And Demons Revisited has stats for 10 specialized types of half-fiends.

That was a combination of me, James Sutter, and Robin D. Laws, if I remember correctly, for Worldwound Gambit.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Rysky wrote:
You like Succubi and you like everything Mythos related... When can we see some more Hastur?

Hastur has pretty much nothing to do with succubi.

There will be more Hastur in the future, nonetheless.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Rysky wrote:
What is the likelihood of seeing other planetouched races? I'm particularly interested in seeing a Pschopomp based one.

Likelihood is very slim. I'm not a fan of bloating the number of planetouched races.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Rysky wrote:

You've played Dark Souls but I can't remember if you said you'd played Demon Souls so if not I highly recommend it just to play the Tower of Latria level, it's very lovecraft-y and I highly believe you would like it.

If you have played it what did you think of it?

I've not played Demon's Souls. It's been loitering in my wish list at Amazon for a bit, but I've got too much else going on at the moment to get it. I'll probably pick it up once my freelance schedule dies down and there's a drought in new game releases.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

10 people marked this as a favorite.
Nicos wrote:

James.

Surely someone have asked a couple of this before but

1) What do you think in a paizo AP for evil characters?

2) Waht do you think of an AP placed in the mwangi expanse?

3) What do you think of an AP (or just a couple of aventures) based on the colonization of arcadia?

4) What are your favorites arhetypes? and, lest say, your less favorites arhetypes published by paizo?

5) what do you think abut the martial/caster disparity at high levels?

6) IF someday there is a PF 2.0, would you support giving the fighter more out of combat options?

1) Skull & Shackles works great for an evil party. We may well do one that requires an evil party some day.

2) We did that. Serpent's Skull.

3) I'd love to do an AP like that... although I'd likely end up presenting it with the colonists as being the bad guys.

4) I like the scout archetype for the rogue a lot, and the bard Dawnflower Dervish (which I designed, so I'm biased there). I generally pick archetypes not because I like them but because they just fit the character. And sometimes I don't pick one at all. I do have ones I don't like, but it's not classy for the Creative Director of the company to publicly badmouth the hard work of the people that company hires to do work for them, so I'm not gonna answer that one. ;P

5) I think it's a myth propagated by people with agendas.

6) I think the fighter has plenty of combat options already. I would STRONGLY push to dump the iterative attacks though so fighters could move about and use their feats more freely without feeling like they're playing the game wrong by not five-foot-adjusting so they don't lose their invaluable full attack action.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Nicos wrote:

about this thread

7) what kind of question you like the most?

8) what kind of question you dislike the most?

7) Questions about Golarion.

8) Questions about fiddly rules bits that sound like someone's looking for Paizo-generated words to use against their GM in order to try to force a ruling in their character's favor.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs wrote:
Nicos wrote:


6) IF someday there is a PF 2.0, would you support giving the fighter more out of combat options?
6) I think the fighter has plenty of combat options already. I would STRONGLY push to dump the iterative attacks though so fighters could move about and use their feats more freely without feeling like they're playing the game wrong by not five-foot-adjusting so they don't lose their invaluable full attack action.

:p

I think fighter do good in combat, the question was about OUT of combat options though, (partiulary I would like 4+int skill per level).

29,901 to 29,950 of 77,272 << first < prev | 594 | 595 | 596 | 597 | 598 | 599 | 600 | 601 | 602 | 603 | 604 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.