>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

25,501 to 25,550 of 83,732 << first < prev | 506 | 507 | 508 | 509 | 510 | 511 | 512 | 513 | 514 | 515 | 516 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Creative Director

Diego Rossi wrote:

James, there is an interesting thread in the rule section: "there are druid spell relate to animal and plant fertility?".

That generated a small discussion and my question for you:

Paizo has ever considered to product a supplement with spells with mundane uses?
From a unseen servant that can cook a gourmet dinner (a 2nd edition rip of, I should admit) or do the dishes, a ease of childbirth spell for divine casters and so on.
I think that it would be a interesting argument for a supplement or a chapter of the campaign book.

Mundane uses for spells might be an amusing/interesting two page entry in a larger book, but as an entire book? I doubt that'd be very useful or interesting for that long; the point of the game is adventure, after all, not housecleaning or curtain repair or other mundane stuff. There's plenty of spells already in the game that will do most of that stuff anyway, like unseen servant, prestidigitation, mage hand, mending, etc.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

emacleric wrote:
Hi James Jacobs, I have a little question: in Dwarves handbook some deities have "hammer" as favoured weapon. It means "light hammer" or "warhammer"? I supposed warhammer, since in the section of feats in this manual a requisite of a feat is "proficiency with hammer" and the description talks about warhammer. Thank you

It should say warhammer.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Diego Rossi wrote:

1)

PRD wrote:

Weapon Finesse (Combat)

You are trained in using your agility in melee combat, as opposed to brute strength.

Benefit: With a light weapon, rapier, whip, or spiked chain made for a creature of your size category, you may use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier on attack rolls. If you carry a shield, its armor check penalty applies to your attack rolls.

Special: Natural weapons are considered light weapons.

The phrase "Natural weapons are considered light weapons" apply only when using weapon finesse or natural weapons count as light weapons for every use of that definition, as a (very relevant) example when a magus use spell combat?

2) A magus can use spell combat with natural weapons?

3) How is that a claw attack deal B/S damage in Pathfinder? It seem a bit counter intuitive.
Why did you chose that kind of damage?

1) Natural weapons are considered light weapons pretty much all the time.

2) I'm not sure. I'd say no; it's not really the flavor of the class.

3) I didn't choose the claw damage; it seems to me it should be P/S and not B/S. I'll bring that up with the design team. I suspect it's a typo.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Jaçinto wrote:

Jade Regent question here and I don't believe it has spoilers.

Our last game on Saturday came to a halt because nobody could agree on how a spell works and the GM would not get involved, so I am curious on how this is supposed to work. Can the spell Make Whole repair carvan/individual wagon damage? Some players said if it did, it would be cheating cause then we would not need wainrights. my argument was that the whole point of those kinds of spells is to be a faster workaround to doing things manually. So yeah, how would Make Whole work with the caravan stuff? Also one player is arguing that create food and drink doesn't make more food as the caster levels up in Jade Regent cause the spell was altered for the game. What is he talking about? Cause he wont cite sources.

Also Do you know anything about Shadowrun? Because I have questions about that too.

If the GM won't get involved... I'm not sure what to say. That's pretty much one of the GM's most important jobs—to arbitrate rules conflicts and make the decisions on what way something plays out, and it's pretty much one of the players' jobs to abide by the GM's decisions in this case without raising a stink or further dragging out the conflict. Because that's how games come to a halt.

It's been a while sicne I've looked at the caravan rules, but I would rule that make whole WOULD repair damage done to a caravan. That's the whole point of the spell, after all. And you can't cast it all the time; if you've got someone with make whole they should be able to use the spell.

And as far as I know, create food and drink wasn't altered at all. Sounds like a case where the GM is being walked over by the players to me. Which is too bad.

I only played a little bit of Shadowrun back in college; it was in the 2nd edition of the game, and funny enough... the GM in that game was really bad and ended up giving me a really poor opinion of Shadowrun as a result. Haven't played it since about 1991 as a result.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

SolidHalo wrote:
James I was curious about the items vaguely described in chapter 3 of the Ultimate Equipment book. The items used by Aram the Golden-Heart because I have a player who has been 'researching' the history of this legend and wants to either a) recreate them or b) retrieve them.

Can't help you, alas. I had really little to do do with Ultimate Equipment—that's more a Design Team question. That said, the hardcover rulebooks are generally world neutral, and as a result, names sometimes get made up for the core rulebook line without world context. I don't recognize "Aram the Golden-Heart" off the top of my head, so I can't really help you...

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Aream wrote:

Hi James,

question about shield enchantment. If you add spikes to your shield, can you give the shield a separate enchantment for shield bonus and the spikes a weapon bonus so those two don´t interfere? Or do they add up somehow? If they do, how?

Thanks in advance for answering.

Shield magic and weapon (such as shield spike) magic are separate. Any magical enhancements you put on your shield only augment and affect the shield; they don't touch the spikes. Likewise, any magic you put on the spikes doesn't touch or help the shield.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Chris Mortika wrote:

Two questions, James.

1) How would you characterize the relationship between Azlant and Thassilon during the latter's heyday?

2) Regarding:

James Jacobs wrote:
...Aroden raised the starstone up from the bottom of the Inner Sea and created the Isle of Kortos and founded Absalom. He was already mythic at that point, and was probably already a demigod. Only Norgorber, Iomedae, and Cayden Cailean have actually done the test of the starstone to successfully become deities....

What about Arazni?

1) Tense and competitive; kind of a cold war.

2) Arazni became a demigod via other means—by being invested with power by Aroden. Her demigod power didn't "stick" though; after she was killed, it fled, and when she was brought back as a lich, she remained powerful, but was no longer a deity.


James Jacobs wrote:
Diego Rossi wrote:

James, there is an interesting thread in the rule section: "there are druid spell relate to animal and plant fertility?".

That generated a small discussion and my question for you:

Paizo has ever considered to product a supplement with spells with mundane uses?
From a unseen servant that can cook a gourmet dinner (a 2nd edition rip of, I should admit) or do the dishes, a ease of childbirth spell for divine casters and so on.
I think that it would be a interesting argument for a supplement or a chapter of the campaign book.

Mundane uses for spells might be an amusing/interesting two page entry in a larger book, but as an entire book? I doubt that'd be very useful or interesting for that long; the point of the game is adventure, after all, not housecleaning or curtain repair or other mundane stuff. There's plenty of spells already in the game that will do most of that stuff anyway, like unseen servant, prestidigitation, mage hand, mending, etc.

I think said topic was about the lack of fertility magic (for animal, humanoid, etc).


Well i was pretty much coming up with stuff for the character name which I didn't mind. So which thread can I direct this question to as regards to the items?


Dear James Jacobs

When is the proper time to use a colon, semi colon, or a comma? Also, should I have said "and" in that sentence instead of "or?" Why does the posting system here not allow someone to do two spaces after a period? I ask since I was always told in school that you must always use two spaces instead of one.

I've looked everywhere for my car keys so do you know where they are?


What makes a good GM? (Simple question;complicated to answer)
Do you prefer GM, or DM, and why? (purely a simple question)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Belle Mythix wrote:


I think said topic was about the lack of fertility magic (for animal, humanoid, etc).

Well... since we don't have rules for pregnancy and sex and other things associated with fertility, there's not much of a reason to expand upon those topics with spells and magic associated with it. We DO have several fertility-related deities... but for now, no rules on it.

Maybe someday, if demand is big enough, and the world is ready for it without freaking out, we'll dip our toes into the topic.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

SolidHalo wrote:
Well i was pretty much coming up with stuff for the character name which I didn't mind. So which thread can I direct this question to as regards to the items?

I'd start with Sean K Reynolds.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Jaçinto wrote:

Dear James Jacobs

When is the proper time to use a colon, semi colon, or a comma? Also, should I have said "and" in that sentence instead of "or?" Why does the posting system here not allow someone to do two spaces after a period? I ask since I was always told in school that you must always use two spaces instead of one.

I've looked everywhere for my car keys so do you know where they are?

Since I don't get paid crazy huge english teacher wages, instead I'll just answer the first question with some links:

Colon
Semicolon
Comma

"Or" was correct, unless you were hoping to find out how to use all three in the same sentence, I suppose.

Two spaces after a period is correct if you're using a typewriter. Modern fonts have proper spacing between the period at the end of a sentence and the first word of the next, so one space is enough. Two spaces between sentences pretty much only exists in academia writing and someday those who cling to their typewriters will let it go. (Replacing the two spaces with one space is still something I have to do relatively regularly to manuscripts... although it's getting less common every year, thankfully.)

And your keys are under the couch.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ven wrote:

What makes a good GM? (Simple question;complicated to answer)

Do you prefer GM, or DM, and why? (purely a simple question)

What makes a good GM is that perfect combination between creativity, charisma, leadership, acting, improv, artistic ability, the ability to listen, and attention to detail. Plus a few more things, like having a big table.

I prefer GM, because that phrase is "game neutral." DM is pretty much only used for D&D (in no small part because of trademark issues).


What was Lorthact the infernal duke of? That is, what was his portfolio/area of concern?

Shadow Lodge

Dear James Jacob,

Hi long time listener first time caller... So my question is on Tremorsense vs. mirror image/invisibility/what-have-you.

So Tremorsense says, "... sensitive to vibrations in the ground and can automatically pinpoint the location of anything that is in contact with the ground..."

So does this point the tremorsensing PC/NPC at the square the concealed PC/NPC in or does it bypass all concealment because it "pinpoints" the targets exact position of where the feet are touching the ground?

Hope to hear from you!


That Porter Kid:

I'm sure JJ will answer eventually but here is an answer that might satisfy you until he does:

Creatures still have concealment vs Tremorsense (or for that matter Blindsense) but the location is narrowed down to the square(s) they are standing in. That is what pinpointing is.

Here are a few abilities that allow you to pinpoint but not negate the 50% miss chance: Tremorsense, Blindsense, Scent (5' range).

Summary: Pinpoint removes the step where you guess what square the target is in. It does not remove the 50% miss chance due to not being able to see the target.

- Gauss

Shadow Lodge

Thanks for the reply Gauss! Is there a document that i can use as a reference for a GM if it comes up during a game?


Multiple places:
Dragon Disciples Blindsense ability (CRB p382)
Darkness: CRB p442
Blindsense: CRB p560
Invisibility: CRB p563 (This is very helpful in understanding what pinpointing means.)
Scent: CRB p564

- Gauss

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Filby Pott wrote:
What was Lorthact the infernal duke of? That is, what was his portfolio/area of concern?

If it's not revealed in Inner Sea Bestiary (I don't believe it was...), then it's still a secret. Call it a victim of Hell being good at writing out the ones they want the world to forget, if you will.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
That Porter Kid wrote:

Dear James Jacob,

Hi long time listener first time caller... So my question is on Tremorsense vs. mirror image/invisibility/what-have-you.

So Tremorsense says, "... sensitive to vibrations in the ground and can automatically pinpoint the location of anything that is in contact with the ground..."

So does this point the tremorsensing PC/NPC at the square the concealed PC/NPC in or does it bypass all concealment because it "pinpoints" the targets exact position of where the feet are touching the ground?

Hope to hear from you!

Pinpointing a creature basically allows you to zero in on the square (or squares) it occupies. This allows you to notice it and know where it is... but doesn't let you see through illusions like invisibility or mirror image. You still have to deal with those effects, but in the case of invisibility, you don't have to play "guess the square."

EDIT: Oh. Or what Gauss said.

(wanders off to read some "World War Z")

Shadow Lodge

Invisibility by far describes it the best! The other ones don't really touch on the issue and differently don't use the same diction.

The only question that pops in my mind is:

Tremorsense: ... pinpoint anything that is in contact with the ground..."
bestiary pg. 305

vs. Scent/Blindsense:

scent: ...If the creature moves within 5 feet (1 square) of the scent's source, the creature can pinpoint the 'area' that the source occupies, even if it cannot be seen...
CRB 564

Blindsense: ...a lesser ability that lets the creature notice things it cannot see, but without the precision of Blindsight...
CRB 561

Both scent and Blindsense give a general location/area but from the way Tremorsense reads it feels like that it is more precise method of finding critters that arn't completely invisible (invisibility, "If a character tries to attack an invisible creature whose location he has pinpointed... invs. creature still benefits from full concealment (50% miss chance)" Though that method of pinpointing is from groping around in the square, would that be a different sort of pinpointing?)

Blindsight says, "...the extraordinary ability to use nonvisual sense to operate effectively without vision. Such sense may include sensitivity to vibrations...."

where as Tremorsense explicitly states, "...is sensitive to vibrations in the ground..." which is starting to sound to me a like a limited Blindsight for stuff incontact with the ground :/


You are reading too much into the fluff of Tremorsense. It specifically states it pinpoints creatures. It does not state it negates the concealment. Since there is no statement that it negates concealment it does not.

Admitedly, Tremorsense could use a positive (reinforcing) statement that it does not bypass concealment but it is not strictly necessary and would increase the number of words (something the Devs are very concerned with). Alternately, they could shorten Tremorsense by referencing Blindsense with a couple differences. But that would have to wait until PF v2.

Scent, Blindsense, and Tremorsense all do the same thing: Pinpoint the square a creature is in. Only the means and strength of the ability varies.

Scent: The weakest of them all since it requires the creature to be within 5 feet.
Blindsense: Requires Line of Effect but can detect Fliers.
Tremorsense: Does not require Line of Effect but cannot detect fliers or swimmers (unless it is Aquatic Tremorsense).

- Gauss

Shadow Lodge

Sounds good to me! Thank you for hashing this out with me! If JJ gives the thumbs up for your interpretation i will spread the word in my group of people when the topic comes up. The same will be true if JJ has anything else to add!

-That Porter Kid


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Sorry for the mild derail, James, but just to finish off the point:

Tremorsense, Blindsense and Blindsight will all tell you that there is a large creature standing on the ground in those 4 squares, there.

Scent will tell you there's a creature in range. If it's within 5 feet, Scent identifies the square(s) it occupies.

Scent, Blindsense and Blindsight will also find it if it's flying.

Blindsight will tell you if it's a troll, a man on a horse with a lance, or a dragon (but not what colour it is), and lets you ignore whatever concealment it has.

Grand Lodge

James Jacobs wrote:
akitayne wrote:

Dear James Jacobs,

What all does an Andoran knighting ceremony entail? Is it a standard ceremony for all or is each ceremony specific for each candidate? Is it actually a ceremony or is it just a letter from the government?

Different ceremonies for different knighthoods. They're pretty similar overall, but the details vary.

Thanks James!

(Was just wondering if there was a specific one for them or not.)


James Jacobs wrote:
Jaçinto wrote:

Dear James Jacobs

When is the proper time to use a colon, semi colon, or a comma? Also, should I have said "and" in that sentence instead of "or?" Why does the posting system here not allow someone to do two spaces after a period? I ask since I was always told in school that you must always use two spaces instead of one.

I've looked everywhere for my car keys so do you know where they are?

Since I don't get paid crazy huge english teacher wages, instead I'll just answer the first question with some links:

Colon
Semicolon
Comma

"Or" was correct, unless you were hoping to find out how to use all three in the same sentence, I suppose.

Two spaces after a period is correct if you're using a typewriter. Modern fonts have proper spacing between the period at the end of a sentence and the first word of the next, so one space is enough. Two spaces between sentences pretty much only exists in academia writing and someday those who cling to their typewriters will let it go. (Replacing the two spaces with one space is still something I have to do relatively regularly to manuscripts... although it's getting less common every year, thankfully.)

And your keys are under the couch.

FYI, most of at least the younger people in academia I know (including myself) have ditched the two spaces after sentences. It's surprising how quickly those spaces can add onto page count on a large manuscript.


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

Dear James Jacobs-

Say I wanted to make a juggling bard. What skill would accurately reflect a juggling performance? I was thinking Perform: Comedy, but it doesn't seem like the best fit. I also thought Sleight of Hand, but that's not not quite in the spirit of the skill.

Also, what class do you think would fit best for a shaman/medicine man character? I thought either witch, oracle, or druid.

Sczarni

Hi James,

In my campaign, my players are about to encounter an enemy that's using an unusual magic item: the Last Leaves of the Autumn Dryad (Ultimate Equipment p. 307).

I'd like to give them a Knowledge check to see if they're aware of this item's existence. If they don't know about the item, they're likely to assume that the magical effects are powers of the creature itself, rather than an item. That could vastly change how they deal with this baddie.

Question: How should I set the DC for the Knowledge Check? It's got a CL of 8th, and it costs 52,000 gp, so there can't be too many of these things floating around. But it's not an artifact, so there isn't just one in existence.

I'm thinking that I should base the DC on either the CL or the price. What do you think?


MetalPaladin wrote:
Say I wanted to make a juggling bard. What skill would accurately reflect a juggling performance? I was thinking Perform: Comedy, but it doesn't seem like the best fit. I also thought Sleight of Hand, but that's not not quite in the spirit of the skill.

IANJ but read the Skill Descriptions: Under Sleight of Hand, it says:

Quote:
You can also use Sleight of Hand to entertain an audience as though you were using the Perform skill. In such a case, your “act” encompasses elements of legerdemain, juggling, and the like.


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
Joana wrote:
MetalPaladin wrote:
Say I wanted to make a juggling bard. What skill would accurately reflect a juggling performance? I was thinking Perform: Comedy, but it doesn't seem like the best fit. I also thought Sleight of Hand, but that's not not quite in the spirit of the skill.

IANJ but read the Skill Descriptions: Under Sleight of Hand, it says:

Quote:
You can also use Sleight of Hand to entertain an audience as though you were using the Perform skill. In such a case, your “act” encompasses elements of legerdemain, juggling, and the like.

Oh thank you, I had missed that!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

That Porter Kid wrote:

Sounds good to me! Thank you for hashing this out with me! If JJ gives the thumbs up for your interpretation i will spread the word in my group of people when the topic comes up. The same will be true if JJ has anything else to add!

-That Porter Kid

I already posted in on the matter. Gauss is correct. If there's anything more to discuss about tremorsense, it should become its own thread.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

MetalPaladin wrote:

Dear James Jacobs-

Say I wanted to make a juggling bard. What skill would accurately reflect a juggling performance? I was thinking Perform: Comedy, but it doesn't seem like the best fit. I also thought Sleight of Hand, but that's not not quite in the spirit of the skill.

Also, what class do you think would fit best for a shaman/medicine man character? I thought either witch, oracle, or druid.

Yeah; Sleight of Hand is juggling.

Any of those three classes would work for a shaman/medicine man, but I'd say oracle works the best since it doesn't have animal companions or familiars.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Trinite wrote:

Hi James,

In my campaign, my players are about to encounter an enemy that's using an unusual magic item: the Last Leaves of the Autumn Dryad (Ultimate Equipment p. 307).

I'd like to give them a Knowledge check to see if they're aware of this item's existence. If they don't know about the item, they're likely to assume that the magical effects are powers of the creature itself, rather than an item. That could vastly change how they deal with this baddie.

Question: How should I set the DC for the Knowledge Check? It's got a CL of 8th, and it costs 52,000 gp, so there can't be too many of these things floating around. But it's not an artifact, so there isn't just one in existence.

I'm thinking that I should base the DC on either the CL or the price. What do you think?

There's already a mechanic in the game for knowing about magic items—Spellcraft. I know that skill says you have to have detect magic going to identify an item, but I personally feel that's a remnant from an earlier design philosophy that we should have dumped. The mystery of identifying magic items is relatively abandoned in modern gaming.

In any event, I'd have the character make a Spellcraft check (DC = 15 + item's caster level) to know more about it. Switching that to a Knowledge (arcana) check is fine as well.


Dear JJ,

Just to clarify, one simple question:

The rogue talent "Offensive Defense" grant a dodge bonus to ac for each sneak attack die rolled for one round. This bonus stack with itself if the rogue hit two different attacks?

Offensive Defense:

Offensive Defense

When a rogue with this talent hits a creature with a melee attack that deals sneak attack damage, the rogue gains a +1 dodge bonus to AC for each sneak attack die rolled for one round.

DODGE BONUS:

Bonus (Dodge)

A dodge bonus improves Armor Class (and sometimes Reflex saves) resulting from physical skill at avoiding blows and other ill effects. Dodge bonuses are never granted by spells or magic items. Any situation or effect (except wearing armor) that negates a character's Dexterity bonus also negates any dodge bonuses the character may have. Dodge bonuses stack with all other bonuses to AC, even other dodge bonuses. Dodge bonuses apply against touch attacks.

Sczarni

James Jacobs wrote:
Trinite wrote:

Hi James,

In my campaign, my players are about to encounter an enemy that's using an unusual magic item: the Last Leaves of the Autumn Dryad (Ultimate Equipment p. 307).

I'd like to give them a Knowledge check to see if they're aware of this item's existence. If they don't know about the item, they're likely to assume that the magical effects are powers of the creature itself, rather than an item. That could vastly change how they deal with this baddie.

Question: How should I set the DC for the Knowledge Check? It's got a CL of 8th, and it costs 52,000 gp, so there can't be too many of these things floating around. But it's not an artifact, so there isn't just one in existence.

I'm thinking that I should base the DC on either the CL or the price. What do you think?

There's already a mechanic in the game for knowing about magic items—Spellcraft. I know that skill says you have to have detect magic going to identify an item, but I personally feel that's a remnant from an earlier design philosophy that we should have dumped. The mystery of identifying magic items is relatively abandoned in modern gaming.

In any event, I'd have the character make a Spellcraft check (DC = 15 + item's caster level) to know more about it. Switching that to a Knowledge (arcana) check is fine as well.

Thanks, James! I'm thinking Knowledge (Nature), actually, since I'm treating as a very fey-oriented item. Maybe I'll have a Spellcraft check to recognize the item, and also a Knowledge (Nature) check to know that the creature in question wouldn't normally have those powers.


James Jacobs wrote:

Pinpointing a creature basically allows you to zero in on the square (or squares) it occupies. This allows you to notice it and know where it is... but doesn't let you see through illusions like invisibility or mirror image. You still have to deal with those effects, but in the case of invisibility, you don't have to play "guess the square."

Yeah. You guys kept that word in from 3.5 where it caused problems there. “Pinpoint” does not mean “In the general area of” in anything but D&D. Maybe next Ed you can get rid of that term for that usage. Please?


Is there any precedent for two dieties "sharing" a Cleric and both granting her divine power for spells/domains?

Carrion Crown Spoiler:
I'm running the 4th Carrion Crown book right now where the party finds the minor artifact mace of Pharasma. I have a Cleric of Kurgess in my party who isn't very attached to her deity and I'm thinking of giving her the option of partially switching to Pharasma to gain the extra benefits of the artifact and to be a cool thing that happens. However, I know she's fond of that Travel domain and would like to accomodate her by splitting her domain choices between the two deities. Is this something deities would ever do?

As a tie-in question, what are the relations like between Kurgess and Pharasma and how would he respond to a request from her like this?

My guess is that Kurgess, being just a demigod who seems to mostly mind his own business and have fun, would probably not have a problem acceding to the wishes of one of the oldest and most powerful entities in the multiverse, especially if her reason for making the request was in agreement with his alignment (stopping the undead in this case).

Sovereign Court

James Jacobs wrote:
Jaçinto wrote:

Dear James Jacobs

When is the proper time to use a colon, semi colon, or a comma? Also, should I have said "and" in that sentence instead of "or?" Why does the posting system here not allow someone to do two spaces after a period? I ask since I was always told in school that you must always use two spaces instead of one.

I've looked everywhere for my car keys so do you know where they are?

Since I don't get paid crazy huge english teacher wages, instead I'll just answer the first question with some links:

Colon
Semicolon
Comma

"Or" was correct, unless you were hoping to find out how to use all three in the same sentence, I suppose.

Two spaces after a period is correct if you're using a typewriter. Modern fonts have proper spacing between the period at the end of a sentence and the first word of the next, so one space is enough. Two spaces between sentences pretty much only exists in academia writing and someday those who cling to their typewriters will let it go. (Replacing the two spaces with one space is still something I have to do relatively regularly to manuscripts... although it's getting less common every year, thankfully.)

And your keys are under the couch.

This is a great resource.

Sussex University Advice


James,

Where on Golarion would you set an adventure involving a cult of Barbatos (the Archdevil)? I'm hoping for somewhere I can go all backwoods-horror on my players. Do you have a specific town or region you'd pick?

Thanks.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

AlcatrazZ wrote:

Dear JJ,

Just to clarify, one simple question:

The rogue talent "Offensive Defense" grant a dodge bonus to ac for each sneak attack die rolled for one round. This bonus stack with itself if the rogue hit two different attacks?

** spoiler omitted **

** spoiler omitted **

As written, yes, it would stack if you got multiple sneak attack hits in. That's unlikely to be the intent of the rule, though—if you run it that way and it feels too powerful, then cap the maximum you can get per round to equal the rogue's number of sneak attack dice.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Trinite wrote:
Thanks, James! I'm thinking Knowledge (Nature), actually, since I'm treating as a very fey-oriented item. Maybe I'll have a Spellcraft check to recognize the item, and also a Knowledge (Nature) check to know that the creature in question wouldn't normally have those powers.

That's kinda dangerous ground. The game as written tells players that if you want to be able to identify magic items, you should put ranks into Spellcraft. If all of a sudden you tell a player who built his character to know all about magic items that there's types of items he can't know about because you arbitrarilly changed what skill is required, that will frustrate the player.

A better solution would be to still allow Spellcraft to work to notice the item's powers, but if you ALSO allow Knowledge (nature) that's fine as well. It's generally not a bad thing to allow players to learn important story elements by making multiple different skill checks, since that helps prevent the PCs missing out on crucial info simply because of a single bad die roll or because no one in the party happened to take ranks in a particular skill.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

6 people marked this as a favorite.
DrDeth wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:

Pinpointing a creature basically allows you to zero in on the square (or squares) it occupies. This allows you to notice it and know where it is... but doesn't let you see through illusions like invisibility or mirror image. You still have to deal with those effects, but in the case of invisibility, you don't have to play "guess the square."

Yeah. You guys kept that word in from 3.5 where it caused problems there. “Pinpoint” does not mean “In the general area of” in anything but D&D. Maybe next Ed you can get rid of that term for that usage. Please?

One of my big hopes for a new edition would be to build the game to start to give back power to the GM, to allow the GM to be able to make rules adjudications without the players using the core rules as a bludgeon to argue with. I love how the d20 system has rules for so much that you might want to accomplish in the game, but hate how people get obsessed with adhering exactly to the rules, because it starts to ruin the game designer's ability to present a fun adventure or encounter if every single word needs to have only one specific definition.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

smashthedean wrote:
Is there any precedent for two dieties "sharing" a Cleric and both granting her divine power for spells/domains?

Not that I know of. Not that I'd really want to let into print, either—keeping clerics as "one deity specialists" is really one of the core themes of the class.

smashthedean wrote:

As a tie-in question, what are the relations like between Kurgess and Pharasma and how would he respond to a request from her like this?

My guess is that Kurgess, being just a demigod who seems to mostly mind his own business and have fun, would probably not have a problem acceding to the wishes of one of the oldest and most powerful entities in the multiverse, especially if her reason for making the request was in agreement with his alignment (stopping the undead in this case).

A cleric can certainly follow the orders of a cleric of a different faith. There's absolutely alliances and rivalries among the faiths of the Inner Sea region. There's no established rivalry or alliance between Kurgess and Pharasma—they're pretty different deities, after all.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Goblin Yoda wrote:

James,

Where on Golarion would you set an adventure involving a cult of Barbatos (the Archdevil)? I'm hoping for somewhere I can go all backwoods-horror on my players. Do you have a specific town or region you'd pick?

Thanks.

Cheliax is the primary place I'd suggest for any devil-related adventure; ther'es plenty of rural areas in that nation that'd work great. Any area with a history of being influeced by Cheliax is a good choice as well, such as Nidal, Isger, Sargava, or the southeastern corner of Varisa near Korvosa.

Sczarni

James Jacobs wrote:
Trinite wrote:
Thanks, James! I'm thinking Knowledge (Nature), actually, since I'm treating as a very fey-oriented item. Maybe I'll have a Spellcraft check to recognize the item, and also a Knowledge (Nature) check to know that the creature in question wouldn't normally have those powers.

That's kinda dangerous ground. The game as written tells players that if you want to be able to identify magic items, you should put ranks into Spellcraft. If all of a sudden you tell a player who built his character to know all about magic items that there's types of items he can't know about because you arbitrarilly changed what skill is required, that will frustrate the player.

A better solution would be to still allow Spellcraft to work to notice the item's powers, but if you ALSO allow Knowledge (nature) that's fine as well. It's generally not a bad thing to allow players to learn important story elements by making multiple different skill checks, since that helps prevent the PCs missing out on crucial info simply because of a single bad die roll or because no one in the party happened to take ranks in a particular skill.

That's actually what I'm intending to do. Of course, if they miss both rolls, they're going to be mighty confused! :)

So here's another question: what are some good ways that you've come up with, maybe outside of what's written in the rules, to use Knowledge checks to make the game more interesting?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Memento Mortis wrote:

A friend of mine has recently announced that he's planning to run a homebrew set in Numeria. We're all really excited.

In that spirit, if YOU were to join and adventure set in Numeria, what type of character would you roll up?

Probably an android rogue or fighter, or maybe even an android gunslinger.

Did you see the cyborg gunfighter in the Doctor Who episode "A Town Called Mercy"?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Trinite wrote:
So here's another question: what are some good ways that you've come up with, maybe outside of what's written in the rules, to use Knowledge checks to make the game more interesting?

There's always a LOT of info in a publised adventure, or in the back of my head, regarding deep world continuity and backgrounds for NPCs and regions and the like. Using Knowledge checks as a way to get this info out of the adventure and into the PCs heads is my favorite use for Knowledge checks.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

LazarX wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Memento Mortis wrote:

A friend of mine has recently announced that he's planning to run a homebrew set in Numeria. We're all really excited.

In that spirit, if YOU were to join and adventure set in Numeria, what type of character would you roll up?

Probably an android rogue or fighter, or maybe even an android gunslinger.
Did you see the cyborg gunfighter in the Doctor Who episode "A Town Called Mercy"?

Nope. I don't watch Doctor Who.

I did see Westworld, though.

25,501 to 25,550 of 83,732 << first < prev | 506 | 507 | 508 | 509 | 510 | 511 | 512 | 513 | 514 | 515 | 516 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards